PDA

View Full Version : Contain the star, or everyone else?

Chronz
06-05-2014, 12:17 PM
Say you have 2 elite defensive teams, one goes about their business by making life rough for the fulcrom of the offense the other by minimizing that star players supporting cast. Which do you prefer as a recipe for success?

IKnowHoops
06-05-2014, 12:26 PM
Depends on the star. A guy like Durant will keep shooting so you make it hard on him because his misses will stop his team. Where as someone like Lebron will make other people around him better if you attempt to shut him down, so with Bron I would make him beat you and shut down the rest of the team.

Goose17
06-05-2014, 03:32 PM
With a guy like KD, I would shut down the supporting cast, especially the way that team is built, if you can lock down Westbrook, Reggie and Ibaka, there's no way KD is winning that game by himself and there's nobody else on that roster that can make up for the lack of production from those other guys.

With a guy like Lebron, I don't really know, if you somehow manage to shut him down, he'll get everyone else involved. If you shut down the supporting cast, you have to shut down almost everyone on the roster and it would have to be complete ball denial, if they get even a little bit of space, Lebron can get the ball to them with ease.

It really depends on the player and the supporting cast. I would like to say the coaching is important too.

In general, my gut instinct would always be to shut down the supporting cast, a lot of stars, KD, Kobe, Lebron, whoever. They can't really be "shut down" not in the true sense of the word, they can merely be slowed down. There are exceptions, if you catch them on an off night AND slow them down, you might take them out of the equation entirely, but that's rare. It's usually easier to shut down the supporting cast and force the "star" to put the team on his back and have him set some sort of scoring record.

torocan
06-05-2014, 03:33 PM
It depends on the opponent.

Against a top heavy team (like OKC, big stars, weak bench) you want the team that can make the life very difficult for the star.

Against a team with better balance/all-stars vs a few super stars, you probably want to focus on stopping the rest of the roster and force the all-stars to beat you.

Against Miami I'd probably try to shut down Lebron. Against the Spurs, I'd probably want to slow down the role players and force Parker, Duncan and Ginobilli to score.

That said, as a general choice I'd prefer a team that can defend the entire roster well. It's much easier to fix a roster that needs a "defensive stopper" through trade than to fix a sub-par team defense.

As in most things in life, your mileage may vary.

Bruno
06-05-2014, 04:00 PM
take the star out of the game. the only way this fails is if the team has a legit number #2 option or depth with dominant perimeter shooting.

take the team out of the game. the only way this fails is if the #1 is so dominate that it just doesn't matter.

its a hard call, and i think i'd need specific match ups to decide what's best.

JasonJohnHorn
06-05-2014, 04:30 PM
Contain everyone else.

The 72-win Bulls had a a harder time winning when Jordan had a big scoring night. You wear down the star and keep everybody else cold, when the last couple of minutes roll around... you are in good shape.

With a team like the Spurs this year, or the 04 Pistons, they is no 'star' to contain....

The problem with the Heat, though, is that Wade can be just as hard to contain as LBJ when he's having a good night...

Bruno
06-05-2014, 05:16 PM
whats your opinion Chronz? can it be a blanket statement or is it match up specific?

jerellh528
06-05-2014, 05:28 PM
Just plain ol D up and try to contain everyone. I think the whole "contain the star" thing is made up by pre game media as part of their "3 keys to a ____ victory" etc.

Crunch Time
06-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Just plain ol D up and try to contain everyone. I think the whole "contain the star" thing is made up by pre game media as part of their "3 keys to a ____ victory" etc.

Brought to you by Taco Bell, live mas

Jamiecballer
06-05-2014, 05:37 PM
If the player is a ballhog or not efficient you encourage him to shoot his team out of the game I'd say.

smith&wesson
06-05-2014, 05:53 PM
Say you have 2 elite defensive teams, one goes about their business by making life rough for the fulcrom of the offense the other by minimizing that star players supporting cast. Which do you prefer as a recipe for success?

I think it depends on the team. you cant really contain Lebron, Durant etc. . so in those scenerios I would target the supporting cast.

But if its a team like the raptors.. you make Lowry, and or Derozan non factors and you win the game.

smith&wesson
06-05-2014, 05:55 PM
If the player is a ballhog or not efficient you encourage him to shoot his team out of the game I'd say.

then kobe goes nuts and drops 81 on your fav team lol

MrfadeawayJB
06-05-2014, 07:03 PM
Makes more sense to shutdown everyone else. Stars are not going to win by themselves

Jamiecballer
06-05-2014, 08:28 PM
then kobe goes nuts and drops 81 on your fav team lol

It will happen from time to time lol

NBA_Starter
06-05-2014, 08:33 PM
Personally I'd go with the stop everybody else approach.