PDA

View Full Version : Flip Saunders to Coach Timberwolves Again

black1605
06-05-2014, 11:10 AM
Marc Stein
‏@ESPNSteinLine
Flip Saunders just confirmed to ESPN he is indeed the new coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves

I'm sure that will keep Love around.

lilchuckdoubles
06-05-2014, 11:40 AM
Man this franchise is making it difficult to remain a fan:(

Hawkeye15
06-05-2014, 11:42 AM
Get used to a steady diet of midrange jumpers and no ft attempts.

God I hate my team

lakerfan85
06-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Why would they bring flip back??

PurpleLynch
06-05-2014, 12:00 PM
Lol and I was thinking our FO was the worst...Unless we hire again Mike Brown.

Crackadalic
06-05-2014, 12:26 PM
Get used to a steady diet of midrange jumpers and no ft attempts.

God I hate my team

I literally shook my head when I saw the title. Feel bad for you guys

king4day
06-05-2014, 12:27 PM
I think this is only going to be a one year thing. No other options I'd imagine so he wants to get through this year and take a crack at next years crop of potential coaches.

I don't think this will help keep Love though.

AddiX
06-05-2014, 12:56 PM
Minny must of got turned down by a lot of coaches for this to happen.

ewing
06-05-2014, 01:13 PM
Flip used to be respected around the league. oh well, i don't think this will have much effect on the Wolves sucking. Its a shame, i thought this team could develop into something interesting. I also thought rubio was a worthy building block.

mngopher35
06-05-2014, 03:22 PM
I actually don't mind this move as much as I did to begin the process. If no one you like and who wants to be here is out there then wait. Flip take over short term until the right guy is available or maybe they will like one of the assistants they hire. Don't just stick like a Sam Mitchell in for the next 3-4 years, find your guy and with Flip have flexibility to choose him at any time. It isn't the best situation to be in, but I don't mind this move for now.

P&GRealist
06-05-2014, 03:25 PM
Sweet, now all Minnesota has to do is trade Love to Brooklyn for KG and bring back Joe Smith out of retirement and we got the early 2000 Wolves back!

NBA_Starter
06-05-2014, 05:43 PM
They must be gluttons for punishment hiring Flop again.

FOBolous
06-05-2014, 07:24 PM
bye Kevin Love.

beasted86
06-05-2014, 07:56 PM
So who are the Wolves going to draft with their 2015 lottery pick?

CityofTreez
06-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Lol and I was thinking our FO was the worst...Unless we hire again Mike Brown.

While hiring Flop is bad, at least they have acquired a coach, unlike the Lakers!
Waiting this long to go forward with a new coach can have lasting impressions.
Being a Kings fan, it's such a painstaking period of waiting time.

THE MTL
06-05-2014, 10:26 PM
I bet he gets fired at the end of the season lol

JasonJohnHorn
06-06-2014, 12:52 AM
Flip isn't a bad coach. I have to say, his previous tenure was limited by the fact the front office sucked. I think those years of mediocrity had more to do with McHale than coaching.

Flip proved in Detroit he could win with a good team. He got the Pistons to the conference finals THREE straight years.... that is impressive, and two of those WITHOUT Ben Wallace. You fire a guy who gets our team to the conference finals three-straight seasons when you are letting talent walk away.... that's not cool.

I'm surprised Minny is letting him run the team, gave him ownership and let him coach again, I mean, not even Phil Jackson got that.... but he's not a bad coach.

That said, I don't think he's a great coach and I don't think this team will do better with him unless they add talent.

If he's just stepping up to take a losing season for the team while they move Love and get in position for the draft, then it makes sense as long as he hand the reigns over when they get a team good enough to draw in a quality coached, but if this is their long term plan.... I dunno....

PurpleLynch
06-06-2014, 06:38 PM
http://www.nba.com/2014/news/06/06/saunders-named-wolves-coach/index.html

That's definitive so...

kobe4thewinbang
06-06-2014, 10:24 PM
Did Saunders have any influence on how great KG was back in the day?
Maybe he'll get Love more involved?

:shrug:

PurpleLynch
06-07-2014, 07:12 AM
Did Saunders have any influence on how great KG was back in the day?
Maybe he'll get Love more involved?

:shrug:

I don't know,in those years KG could do his thing with any coach imo(unless the coach is D'Antoni). Sprewell vs Cassell was also a big factor,but he coached T-Wolves for 10 years without winning,so a new coach was the right decision imo. Having McHale in a GM role also didn't help them.
I guess we have to wait,maybe he'll be more successful this time.

Bruno
06-07-2014, 04:54 PM
anyone see Flips comments today?

they deserve to lose love. they're just like the cavs when it comes to front office stupidity.

NBA_Starter
06-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Love = HE GONE

Hawkeye15
06-07-2014, 06:56 PM
anyone see Flips comments today?

they deserve to lose love. they're just like the cavs when it comes to front office stupidity.

about Love being frustrated?

Yeah, that **** don't fly with the young people now. When KG was young, you could tell a kid to stfu and man up, you are making all the money. But now nowadays. Our spoiled youth needs to be catered to if they are talented.

Bruno
06-07-2014, 07:06 PM

Yeah, that **** don't fly with the young people now. When KG was young, you could tell a kid to stfu and man up, you are making all the money. But now nowadays. Our spoiled youth needs to be catered to if they are talented.
I buy it in KG case because he was given the legitimate max contract that he wanted and deserved at the time (if i'm not mistaken).

Ive read a lot about the Wolves pretty much semi-snubbing Love last time he went to sign, right?

I agree with what you're saying here- but my point is that they didn't give Love the contract he wanted when they had the chance (they opted to give rubio a massive deal, right?). now they have to pay for their lack of foresight, and I think its kinda bs to play the card that flip just did in this moment. i think its the official white flag.

Hawkeye15
06-07-2014, 07:35 PM
I buy it in KG case because he was given the legitimate max contract that he wanted and deserved at the time (if i'm not mistaken).

Ive read a lot about the Wolves pretty much semi-snubbing Love last time he went to sign, right?

I agree with what you're saying here- but my point is that they didn't give Love the contract he wanted when they had the chance (they opted to give rubio a massive deal, right?). now they have to pay for their lack of foresight, and I think its kinda bs to play the card that flip just did in this moment. i think its the official white flag.

oh, Love has the right to be frustrated, Saunders is just telling him the truth. Kahn totally ****ed our chances at keeping Love by not maxing him out. He did indeed want to save it for his man crush, Rubio.

I simply mean, and you agree, that the young players today are much different than the young players 15-20 years ago. They were spoiled growing up, and never told no compared to the older generation. So you have to cater to these young players now. Sad, but true.

Hawkeye15
06-07-2014, 07:37 PM
and yeah, I see this going 2 ways. They smartly get as many assets as they can before the draft (I ONLY say that because I truly believe Love will not resign under any circumstance at this point, my stance would change if I thought there was a chance), or they will stupidly keep him through next year trying to make the playoffs.

Knowing how stupid my teams front office is, I guess they go with the 2nd option.

hugepatsfan
06-07-2014, 08:12 PM

"Catering" to Love is in the best interest of the franchise though. He's told them that he has no interest in re-signing with them after the season. That's his right as a player. He's not threatening to not show up and play out the last year of his deal. They've approached him about an extension and he's just letting them know that if they don't trade him he's just going to bolt after the season when he has the right/ability to do so. Obviously he wants to use his leverage to actually het traded so he can get where he wants to go a year earlier and get extra money playing there but again, he's not threatening to not honor his contract. That would be awful. And you can call him spoiled but if he took a diplomatic approach and refused to let them know his intentions then he'd actually be acting less in their best interests. He's doing the franchise a favor by being upfront with his intentions. He could keep it closer to the vest and force them to make short-sighted moves in an effort to compete and then just leave them even more ****ed when he walks.

Hawkeye15
06-07-2014, 08:23 PM
"Catering" to Love is in the best interest of the franchise though. He's told them that he has no interest in re-signing with them after the season. That's his right as a player. He's not threatening to not show up and play out the last year of his deal. They've approached him about an extension and he's just letting them know that if they don't trade him he's just going to bolt after the season when he has the right/ability to do so. Obviously he wants to use his leverage to actually het traded so he can get where he wants to go a year earlier and get extra money playing there but again, he's not threatening to not honor his contract. That would be awful. And you can call him spoiled but if he took a diplomatic approach and refused to let them know his intentions then he'd actually be acting less in their best interests. He's doing the franchise a favor by being upfront with his intentions. He could keep it closer to the vest and force them to make short-sighted moves in an effort to compete and then just leave them even more ****ed when he walks.

I don't disagree with any of that. I am simply stating the difference between today's youth and the youth of yesterday. It's not just the NBA, it's the entire nation.

JasonJohnHorn
06-08-2014, 10:49 AM
Yeah, the comment Flip made were silly. Love has a right to be frustrated.

He's been in the league SIX years. He came to a team with 24 wins still hasn't broken .500
They picked Rubio and Flynn over Curry.... I mean.. FAWK!!! Flynn isn't even in the LEAGUE now!
Then Wesley Johnson over DMC and Monroe? And Paul George?
Then they use a pick to draft Derrick Williams... who plays the same position as Love? WTF?!?!?

With the number of high picks the T-Wolves have had, and the capspace over the years, and the assets they had, they SHOULD be as good as OKC right now.

Six years and no playoffs? Love has a right to be frustrated. For Flip to say that is essentially telling Love to leave.

Bruno
06-08-2014, 01:54 PM
oh, Love has the right to be frustrated, Saunders is just telling him the truth. Kahn totally ****ed our chances at keeping Love by not maxing him out. He did indeed want to save it for his man crush, Rubio.

I simply mean, and you agree, that the young players today are much different than the young players 15-20 years ago. They were spoiled growing up, and never told no compared to the older generation. So you have to cater to these young players now. Sad, but true.

and yeah, I see this going 2 ways. They smartly get as many assets as they can before the draft (I ONLY say that because I truly believe Love will not resign under any circumstance at this point, my stance would change if I thought there was a chance), or they will stupidly keep him through next year trying to make the playoffs.

Knowing how stupid my teams front office is, I guess they go with the 2nd option.

agreed and agreed. bunch of divas.

hope you guys get a decent package for Love.