PDA

View Full Version : Chad Ford: Multiple teams looking to trade out of lottery for proven players

spreadeagle
06-04-2014, 04:24 PM
Remember a year ago when teams were guarding lottery picks this year like they were gold bullion? It was next to impossible to get one in a trade.

Now? Not so hard, if youíre willing to give up a little. That according to Chad Ford of ESPN .

ďI thought getting a lottery pick via trade would be virtually impossible this year,Ē one NBA GM told ESPN. ďItís not. There are a lot of teams in the lottery right now that would prefer a proven player. A lot of owners have lost their patience with the rebuilding process.Ē

The teams open to trading their lottery picks? Itís highly likely that the Milwaukee Bucks, Philadelphia 76ers, Orlando Magic and Utah Jazz are all holding onto their picks. After pick No. 5, however, things are much more fluid. Sources say the Boston Celtics, Los Angeles Lakers, Sacramento Kings, Charlotte Hornets, Timberwolves and Phoenix Suns are all open to offers.

A year ago this draft was thought to be transcendent by many, and it may be that one or two of the top three guys turns out to be a franchise anchor ó but the teams that can get those guys are not the ones moving their pick.

Itís the teams that would give you what would be essentially a rookie rotation player at the price of a veteran rotation player they can trust and would help now who are willing to move their picks. Particularly teams like the Lakers and Celtics, teams with the revenue stream and markets to rebuild through free agency rather than the draft so they can consider a move (the Lakers would have to draft the player for a team then trade said player, they cannot trade the pick it self as they didnít have their 2013 and donít have their 2015 picks).

All of this is to say, draft night could be interesting. If a team falls in love with Julius Randle or Elfrid Payton or Noah Vonleh you can trade up and get them ó but itís going to cost you someone good. And that can seem a steep price to pay.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/04/report-multiple-lottery-picks-available-in-trades-at-the-right-price/

NBA_Starter
06-04-2014, 04:25 PM
If the Hornets do that I may fall out!

slaker619
06-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Only team that really needs a proven player is the #Cavs & #Magic

PhillyFaninLA
06-04-2014, 05:10 PM
Thad and 2 seconds for one of those picks?

Sactown
06-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Thad and 2 seconds for one of those picks?
No way I bet all these teams are looking for a team that over hypes this draft on potential and is just looking for highway robbery, also most of these teams are interested in KLove and aren't looking for mediocre talent

DeyAce
06-04-2014, 05:19 PM
Noah to CLE for #1 pick

Pierzynski4Prez
06-04-2014, 05:20 PM
Bulls are likely dangling Taj and pick 16 and/or 19 to move up into the top 8 or 10.

NYKNYGNYY
06-04-2014, 05:33 PM
It'd be stupid for some teams like the 76ers and such who have only young talent with the talent in this years draft... I'd take young and potentially elite players when I have a roster consisting of Noel and mcw ...

NYKNYGNYY
06-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Noah to CLE for #1 pick

Joke right? Noah's a elite center in this day n age but not worthy of the number one pick lol

Giannis94
06-04-2014, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Bucks dealt Ilyasova for a pick in the 6-10 range.

Blitzace137
06-04-2014, 05:55 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Bucks dealt Ilyasova for a pick in the 6-10 range.

6-10 in the second round?

NBA_Starter
06-04-2014, 05:57 PM
Bulls are likely dangling Taj and pick 16 and/or 19 to move up into the top 8 or 10.

I heard they offered Taj and Dunleavy for the #9.

thephoenixson28
06-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Phoenix is trying to trade up not out.

NBA_Starter
06-04-2014, 06:10 PM
This draft is going to be fun!

numba1CHANGsta
06-04-2014, 06:13 PM
Irving, Rondo, Love will all be traded come draft night

Pablonovi
06-04-2014, 06:35 PM
I don't know why, but I like it more when teams trade than stand still.

koreancabbage
06-04-2014, 06:37 PM

Lol if people are saying Derozan isn't worth a first rounder, this guy isn't worth a pick then.

AB1984
06-04-2014, 06:43 PM

Where did you hear that?

NBA_Starter
06-04-2014, 06:46 PM
Irving, Rondo, Love will all be traded come draft night

Maybe one of the three.

Where did you hear that?

An insider on another Bulls forum.

Stunner
06-04-2014, 07:32 PM
I'll prob do both of those deals

NBA_Starter
06-04-2014, 07:46 PM
I'll prob do both of those deals

I like Taj but I don't know about for the #9 and I want no part of Dunleavy.

Corey
06-04-2014, 07:50 PM

6-10 range of the second round?

C'mon, Ily isn't worth a top 10 pick.

Stunner
06-04-2014, 08:29 PM
I like Taj but I don't know about for the #9 and I want no part of Dunleavy.

You're sleeping on him he can be very good for your bench , he played above his contract this past season . And look at it this way taj and Mike together are better than what you can get at 9 in terms of development . You guys are in a win now mode , a taj and al front court balances so well .

Stunner
06-04-2014, 08:30 PM
6-10 range of the second round?

C'mon, Ily isn't worth a top 10 pick.

Yea his value has took a hit big time , I say he's worth a late 1st

smood999
06-04-2014, 08:58 PM
Bargnani, Felton, Gerald Wallace, Mo Williams, George Hill, Luis Scola...off the top of my head, are players who got traded for a 1st round pick recently...Hill, Wallace and Williams were lottery picks. Just something to think about

bleedprple&gold
06-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Bargnani, Felton, Gerald Wallace, Mo Williams, George Hill, Luis Scola...off the top of my head, are players who got traded for a 1st round pick recently...Hill, Wallace and Williams were lottery picks. Just something to think about

And they all ended up being bad trades for the teams giving up the draft pick.

NBA_Starter
06-04-2014, 09:27 PM
You're sleeping on him he can be very good for your bench , he played above his contract this pass season . And look at it this way taj and Mike together are better than what you can get at 9 in terms of development . You guys are in a win now mode , a taj and al front court balances so well .

I guess when you look at it that way its a win-win.

king4day
06-04-2014, 09:32 PM

Would you do this if that rumor is true?

theducksmuggler
06-04-2014, 09:46 PM
i personally see Sam Hinkie and my 76ers to trade for a third lottery pick rather then trade the #3 or #10 Pick...i have a dream scenario trade with the Kings
Kings Recieve:
Thad Young
Tony Wroton
32nd or 39th pick

76ers recieve:
#8 pick
Carl Landry(bad contract)
Jason Thompson(bad contract)

I could see the Kings doing it because there are rumors they made the pick available and i dont think the #8 pick is enough to get someone like Love but they would able to get a very good play in Thad Young and a young asset in Wroton just in case they cant sign Thomas...the 76ers do it for the #8 pick obviously and they have the cap space to be able to take some bad contracts back...
So what do you guys think of the trade possible or not?

smood999
06-04-2014, 10:47 PM
And they all ended up being bad trades for the teams giving up the draft pick.

agreed...but the point is it's not easy to gauge what player is worth what pick...and in my opinion, some ppl are valuing the picks after the lottery too much...teams don't get great players for those picks

Chronz
06-04-2014, 11:03 PM
Draft is either weak or the GM's suck at drafting

Puck017
06-05-2014, 08:37 AM
You're sleeping on him he can be very good for your bench , he played above his contract this past season . And look at it this way taj and Mike together are better than what you can get at 9 in terms of development . You guys are in a win now mode , a taj and al front court balances so well .

This is a horrible trade for the Hornets. If they trade the #9 pick it needs to be for a starter that can space the floor. Taj or Zeller starting with Kemba, Hendo, MKG, and Jefferson is significant step back from just keeping McRoberts as the floor spacer. And if the Kings are indeed trying to dump his salary, the Hornets would be much better off going after a guy like Landry to be their backup PF.

Blink
06-05-2014, 10:38 AM
I'll sell ya Josh Smith

dnl123
06-05-2014, 11:26 AM
Bulls fans, would you like a trade of Taj for the Wolves at 13 to package with your 16 and 19 to move up even higher possibly? I'd like that trade especially since we're probably trading Love that night and Taj would be a pretty good fit here.

Stunner
06-05-2014, 11:55 AM
Bulls fans, would you like a trade of Taj for the Wolves at 13 to package with your 16 and 19 to move up even higher possibly? I'd like that trade especially since we're probably trading Love that night and Taj would be a pretty good fit here.

Prob yea

Pierzynski4Prez
06-05-2014, 11:58 AM

So Taj straight up for #13? Wolves aren't under the cap, so they simply can't absorb Taj's contract for just a pick. And if Love isn't coming back, there really isn't much else on the Wolves roster that would interest Chicago at the cost of Taj.

Pablonovi
06-05-2014, 12:06 PM
Hey guys (& gals?),
Just wanna say "Thanx" for all your posts here. I know way too little about the draft to post about it; so I much appreciate learning from your thoughts (even the less-than-perfect ones are quite useful).

Stunner
06-05-2014, 12:28 PM
So Taj straight up for #13? Wolves aren't under the cap, so they simply can't absorb Taj's contract for just a pick. And if Love isn't coming back, there really isn't much else on the Wolves roster that would interest Chicago at the cost of Taj.

Bulls would do it tho if they got back an expiring and the pick . Depends on whose on the board that they want like a Lavine .

Pierzynski4Prez
06-05-2014, 01:14 PM

Bulls would do it tho if they got back an expiring and the pick . Depends on whose on the board that they want like a Lavine .

An expiring wouldn't help give us room this summer, unless it was a non guaranteed contract that they could waive and not have it affect our cap number. I don't think MN has one that is the size they need to absorb Taj.

koreancabbage
06-05-2014, 01:21 PM
An expiring wouldn't help give us room this summer, unless it was a non guaranteed contract that they could waive and not have it affect our cap number. I don't think MN has one that is the size they need to absorb Taj.

We will give you John Salmons for Taj. Now you have room.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-05-2014, 01:45 PM
We will give you John Salmons for Taj. Now you have room.

Salmons, + pick 20, + a future say top 10 protected first I would like.

Crackadalic
06-05-2014, 02:31 PM
I can see the kings and cavs trading their pick. Kings been stock piling young talent for how long and they still suck. They need more vets. Same with the cavs even though it hasn't been that long

With Kobe's demand to win know I see them trading their pick too. Think everyone else stays put

Pablonovi
06-05-2014, 03:04 PM
I can see the kings and cavs trading their pick. Kings been stock piling young talent for how long and they still suck. They need more vets. Same with the cavs even though it hasn't been that long

With Kobe's demand to win know I see them trading their pick too. Think everyone else stays put

Hey Crackadalic,
Just a little quibble with the words "Kobe's demand". I'd rather put it: "Kobe's deserved need" something like that.