PDA

View Full Version : Chandler Parsons is hitting the free market!

sens#11fan
06-03-2014, 10:53 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--rockets-will-decline-chandler-parsons--option-making-him-a-restricted-free-agent-022721563-nba.html

Hopefully, Okc can scoop him up.

goingfor28
06-03-2014, 10:56 PM
He should get a solid payday

NBA_Starter
06-03-2014, 10:58 PM
This is going to be good.

sens#11fan
06-03-2014, 11:01 PM
LOL, he is the one who brought Dwight to Houston and now he's getting the boot.

Stunner
06-03-2014, 11:03 PM
Chicago has just found their number 1 priority

WITZ
06-03-2014, 11:12 PM
Was good up until i saw the Restricted tag, he's probably staying put.

KniCks4LiFe
06-03-2014, 11:12 PM
woah.

KniCks4LiFe
06-03-2014, 11:13 PM
How good does Deron Williams to Houston look now.

Stunner
06-03-2014, 11:14 PM
Was good up until i saw the Restricted tag, he's probably staying put.

Still a win - win for Chicago , if they go offer Parsons the max and the Rockets don't match we get our young SF . Rockets match that takes them out the Melo race .

FKS1994
06-03-2014, 11:14 PM
According to multiple sources, he is listed as a RFA.

Stunner
06-03-2014, 11:22 PM
Yea if they picked up his option he would have been unrestricted the year after next

ramsizzle
06-03-2014, 11:25 PM
Still a win - win for Chicago , if they go offer Parsons the max and the Rockets don't match we get our young SF . Rockets match that takes them out the Melo race .

fully expect this to happen if the bulls feel melo is gonna pass.

Hawkeye15
06-03-2014, 11:25 PM
He will be a RFA, and probably get an overpay that Morey won't match is my guess.

Kevj77
06-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Was good up until i saw the Restricted tag, he's probably staying put.That might actually be the reason they aren't picking up the option. As a second round pick he would be a unrestricted free agent after next year like Lance Stephenson is this year.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-03-2014, 11:27 PM
He'll get $9 mil a year minimum. And if anyone offers more, Rockets match.

Asik's better
06-03-2014, 11:28 PM
Either Morey has a big deal in place or he is making sure parsons dosn't walk next season. Going to be very interesting.

Stunner
Declining The Option

If the Rockets elect not to exercise their team option on Parsons’s contract, and if the Rockets extend a qualifying offer to Parsons (more on that below), then Parsons would become a restricted free agent.

By making Parsons a restricted free agent, the Rockets would have the right to match any offer he receives from another team. Typically, restricted free agents whose teams are clearly interested in re-signing them do not receive the level of interest that a similarly-situated unrestricted free agent does, thereby “chilling the bidding” on the player and potentially allowing his original team to re-sign him at a relatively lower salary.

Because Parsons would have been under the same contract with the Rockets for three seasons (2011-2014), the Rockets would have full Bird rights on Parsons and could exceed the salary cap to re-sign him to a five-year deal at any amount up to the maximum salary (expected to be a starting salary in the $14 million range for players with 0-6 years of service).

(NOTE: Parsons is not subject to the “Gilbert Arenas Rule” that governed the structure of the contracts that the Rockets handed out to Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin. The Arenas Rule is limited solely to one- and two-year veterans. There is no “poison pill” that another team could work into an offer sheet for Parsons.)

No matter what Parsons signs for as a free agent in 2014, his partial guarantee of $624,771 would count as an additional (and separate) amount on the Rockets’ salary cap.

If Parsons becomes a restricted free agent, then his cap hold next summer will be the greatest of (a) his “ordinary” cap hold of 190% of his 2013-14 salary (or $1,760,350), (b) the first year salary in any offer sheet he signs that the Rockets wish to match, or (c) his qualifying offer.

A qualifying offer is the minimum amount that a team must offer to a player (as a one-year deal) by June 30 each year in order to make him a restricted free agent. Without a qualifying offer, the player automatically becomes an unrestricted free agent. Under the prior CBA, this would have been a similarly low amount to his “ordinary” cap hold. However, the new CBA changed the rules regarding qualifying offers to young players who significantly outplay their draft status.

Under the new CBA, if a young player taken outside the first half of the lottery meets certain “starter criteria” in either the year prior to his free agency or averaged over the two years prior to his free agency, then he is entitled to a higher qualifying offer. In Parsons’s case (as a second round pick), he would be entitled to the same qualifying offer as the 21st selection of his draft class. That player was Nolan Smith; and although the Blazers declined a team option on Smith’s contract, had he been under contract until he hit restricted free agency, his qualifying offer would have been in the amount of $3,270,004.

Based on his performance this season and last, Parsons has presumably already met these starter criteria. (For more information about restricted free agency, qualifying offers and the starter criteria, read this portion of Larry Coon’s NBA Salary Cap FAQ.)

Therefore, if Parsons is made a restricted free agent in 2014, his overall cap impact would be the sum of his qualifying offer ($3,270,004) and his partial guarantee stuck on the books ($624,771), for a total of $3,894,775.

On the other hand, if Parsons is not extended a qualifying offer and becomes an unrestricted free agent in 2014, his overall cap impact would be the sum of his “ordinary” cap hold ($1,760,350) and his partial guarantee ($624,771), for a total of $2,385,121.

While the Rockets do not expect to have much (if any) salary cap room in the summer of 2014 assuming that no further roster moves are made, it is entirely possible that subsequent roster moves (such as those involving Asik and/or Lin being traded for less salary or expiring contracts) could create a situation in which 2014 cap room becomes a legitimate priority for the Rockets. In such an event, the amount that Parsons counts against the cap could become a material concern. .

Tony_Starks

I would LMAO if the Bulls offered him a deal like Asik....

TheNumber37
06-03-2014, 11:29 PM
He is most certainly gone. I don't understand the rockets. They want the market to set his value I suppose... which is just how they got Lin at the inflated price they did.
Someone is going to throw cash at him and The Rockets with Lin, Howard and Harden in the fold won't be able to match.
They need to look for a sign and trade. But I could see Parsons getting 4 years 24-30 mil on the open market.

koreancabbage
06-03-2014, 11:34 PM

ROFL. don't know if serious. And Chicago would be stuck with a player that is maxed out that is probably not worth the max (yet, maybe)

Melo with Dwight and Harden would be gross.

Stunner
06-03-2014, 11:35 PM
I would LMAO if the Bulls offered him a deal like Asik....

We can't give him the poison pill unfortunately

tr3ymill3r
06-03-2014, 11:35 PM
He is most certainly gone. I don't understand the rockets. They want the market to set his value I suppose... which is just how they got Lin at the inflated price they did.
Someone is going to throw cash at him and The Rockets with Lin, Howard and Harden in the fold won't be able to match.
They need to look for a sign and trade. But I could see Parsons getting 4 years 24-30 mil on the open market.

Why do you say he's most certainly gone when you could see him getting $6-$7.5 million per year? I know it's the summer time, but do the math.

Stunner
06-03-2014, 11:37 PM
ROFL. don't know if serious. And Chicago would be stuck with a player that is maxed out that is probably not worth the max (yet, maybe)

Melo with Dwight and Harden would be gross.

Parsons is a very good player , rockets won't match anything over 9 million. Only players in free agency I would give 10 mill a year contracts are Love , Melo , Parsons and Hayward .

koreancabbage
06-03-2014, 11:39 PM
Bulls can't even offer him anything anyways. They are over the cap next year lol

koreancabbage
06-03-2014, 11:40 PM

Parsons is a very good player , rockets won't match anything over 9 million. Only players in free agency I would give 10 mill a year contracts are Love , Melo , Parsons and Hayward .

Bulls can't even offer Chandler Parson anything above the MLE. They don't have the cap space if i'm not mistaken.

Stunner
06-03-2014, 11:42 PM
Bulls can't even offer him anything anyways. They are over the cap next year lol

Yes they can when they amnesty boozer lol

koreancabbage
06-03-2014, 11:44 PM

Yes they can when they amnesty boozer lol

they aren't amnestying Boozer lol He has one year left and is expiring contract (great asset to trade for Melo)

Stunner
06-03-2014, 11:47 PM
they aren't amnestying Boozer lol He has one year left and is expiring contract (great asset to trade for Melo)

Alright thanks for telling me about what my team won't do

Tony_Starks
06-03-2014, 11:49 PM
I'm kindof torn on Parsons. He as allstar potential but would really have to be in a ideal situation.

Quinnsanity
06-03-2014, 11:49 PM
Why is nobody mentioning the very real possibility of a wink-wink agreement? The Rockets let Parsons hit the market now, likely as a restricted free agent but potentially as an unrestricted free agent, use their (presumed after dumping Asik and Lin) cap space to go after a max guy, and then use their Bird Rights to retain Parsons AFTERWARDS, leaving Houston with three max guys and another guy who's close. The Rockets get their super team, Parsons gets his deal and is a part of it. I think Parsons agrees not to sign any offer sheets until after the third max slot is filled by the Rockets so they can put the best possible team on the floor. And remember, he has very little motivation to screw them over like Boozer did with Cleveland a decade ago. Based on the average state income tax level and Parsons' expected offers, a team would have to offer him something like $8-10 million more over the life of the contract than Houston for their to be ANY sort of financial advantage AND there probably won't be a team that can offer Parsons as much on the court assuming Houston gets their third guy. This feels very simple to me.

Asik's better
06-03-2014, 11:50 PM
Rockets would match that much. Les has no problems spending money. He has stated that.

koreancabbage
06-03-2014, 11:52 PM

Alright thanks for telling me about what my team won't do

lol well stop telling us what your team will or will not do. You are as much in the dark as the next poster here.

Stunner
06-03-2014, 11:52 PM
Rockets would match that much. Les has no problems spending money. He has stated that.

By why if he's choosing to go after a bigger star ? I guess he's hoping to lock him and up put him in a deal .

koreancabbage
06-03-2014, 11:53 PM

$10M is probably what he'll get as UFA. unless a bidding war goes up to $11-13

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-03-2014, 11:54 PM
My guess was that the Rockets did this so that Parsons wouldn't become an UFA a year from now and have intentions of keeping him. Pretty smart move by Morey.

Stunner
06-03-2014, 11:54 PM
lol well stop telling us what your team will or will not do. You are as much in the dark as the next poster here.

No because I know what the boozer situation is , they will look to trade Booz on draft night in a deal ; if not they will amnesty . Boozer has worn out his welcome in Chicago with his constant complaining and lack of effort towards the and of the season .

ramsizzle
06-04-2014, 12:03 AM
Boozer is on his way out. taj has been told to prepare to start. trade or amnesty, boozer is gone freeing up cap space. whether its used on melo, parsons, or another player is a different discussion. I want to go all in on melo as a bulls fan. we need the iso offense. Though Parsons would be a great consolation prize.

FKS1994
06-04-2014, 12:13 AM
bulls need to be very careful with how they do things. with rose still in and out, they should seek proper evaluation of him before amnestying anyone and signing melo only to be screwed. imo, wait for rose for another year.. seems long but signing melo only to discover rose can't play is going to be a blow.

ramsizzle
06-04-2014, 12:16 AM
bulls need to be very careful with how they do things. with rose still in and out, they should seek proper evaluation of him before amnestying anyone and signing melo only to be screwed. imo, wait for rose for another year.. seems long but signing melo only to discover rose can't play is going to be a blow.

the bulls with melo and our roster from last year would be a title contender in itself. They had the best defense in the league and the worst offense, worst iso offense.. etc.

He would help so much.

Stunner
06-04-2014, 12:30 AM
Getting rid of Boozer doesn't effect the Bulls future whatsoever in a negative way .

ChiSox219
06-04-2014, 01:07 AM
Beverley
Harden
Parsons
Lebron
Dwight

:nod:

Corey
06-04-2014, 01:21 AM
Why is nobody mentioning the very real possibility of a wink-wink agreement? The Rockets let Parsons hit the market now, likely as a restricted free agent but potentially as an unrestricted free agent, use their (presumed after dumping Asik and Lin) cap space to go after a max guy, and then use their Bird Rights to retain Parsons AFTERWARDS, leaving Houston with three max guys and another guy who's close. The Rockets get their super team, Parsons gets his deal and is a part of it. I think Parsons agrees not to sign any offer sheets until after the third max slot is filled by the Rockets so they can put the best possible team on the floor. And remember, he has very little motivation to screw them over like Boozer did with Cleveland a decade ago. Based on the average state income tax level and Parsons' expected offers, a team would have to offer him something like $8-10 million more over the life of the contract than Houston for their to be ANY sort of financial advantage AND there probably won't be a team that can offer Parsons as much on the court assuming Houston gets their third guy. This feels very simple to me.

Well you're wrong.

If they wanted the lowest cap hit, they would have picked up the option. Offering him a qualifying offer costs them ~2.7m against the cap as a hold while picking up the option would have cost less than 900k.

They did it so they can sign-and-trade him if necessary.

SPURSFAN1
06-04-2014, 01:46 AM
Chandler is a 7mil a year player but plays minutes like a 12 mil a year player. Good scorer but not efficient. Can't get it done defensively and isn't a playmaker. Just a shooter. If he gets offered 9mil, Rockets wont match.

Asik's better
06-04-2014, 01:47 AM
By why if he's choosing to go after a bigger star ? I guess he's hoping to lock him and up put him in a deal .
This is a example of how Morey makes sure he has multiple options, if he can't secure a superstar in the off-season through a sign and trade, he will match whatever parsons is offered and then regroup next off-season with the cap space from Asik's and Lin's contracts.

Stunner
06-04-2014, 01:48 AM
Chandler is a 7mil a year player but plays minutes like a 12 mil a year player. Good scorer but not efficient. Can't get it done defensively and isn't a playmaker. Just a shooter. If he gets offered 9mil, Rockets wont match.

What games do you watch ?

SPURSFAN1
06-04-2014, 01:59 AM
What games do you watch ?

He's not going to make 14mil.
Kawhi at most will make 12mil a year and he is a better player both in the playoffs and regular season.

Stunner
06-04-2014, 02:06 AM
Kawhi at most will make 12mil a year and he is a better player both in the playoffs and regular season.

I didn't ask you all of that I asked you what games did you watch because your opinion of him is all wrong . Better yet Idc you seem bias .

SPURSFAN1
06-04-2014, 02:14 AM
I didn't ask you all of that I asked you what games did you watch because your opinion of him is all wrong . Better yet Idc you seem bias .

:laugh2:
I could have watched 82, 10, 4, or 0. My assessment is correct, and you don't counter but ask how many rocket games I've seen with parsons. Until you debate me and prove me wrong, I'd take it like I was right on the money.
Keep him in the starting line up next year and pay him 10mil a year. I'll see another first round exit with him playing 40mpg in the playoffs.

5ass
06-04-2014, 02:19 AM
I don't understand what people are freaking about here, are you guys completely stupid? This is the only move to make here.

Stunner
06-04-2014, 02:24 AM
:laugh2:
I could have watched 82, 10, 4, or 0. My assessment is correct, and you don't counter but ask how many rocket games I've seen with parsons. Until you debate me and prove me wrong, I'd take it like I was right on the money.
Keep him in the starting line up next year and pay him 10mil a year. I'll see another first round exit with him playing 40mpg in the playoffs.

You said he's a good scorer but not efficient

15.9 ppg 47% from the field and 37% from the 3

He's doesn't create for others

as a SF he averages 4 assist per game almost not being the dominate ball handler

Defensively he isn't bad he uses his 6'10 height and wing span to get the job done the best he can and is their best wing defender outside of Bev .

Nobody never said give him 14 million those were your words ; but 9 -11 I can easily see someone giving him . Don't know why you brought up Kwai in a Parsons thread other than to bait . Also in the playoffs he increases his production in scoring and everything else , his FG % takes a slight dip but it's still hovers around 45% .

Kaner
06-04-2014, 02:39 AM

Literally everything in this post is wrong. First the amount of minutes you play and a players worth are not linear like you seem to be suggesting that should be abundantly clear for a Spurs fan. He was a more efficient scorer then either Tim Duncan or Tony Parker this season and for their careers. Parsons is at least an average defender and can guard both sf and pf well. He was 6th among small-forwards in apg and in the top 15 among non pg's so the numbers suggest he is a playmaker. Not sure what your basing any of these weakness's off of. Haven't heard anybody who watches Parsons play brings up the issues you do in this post.

Chrisclover
06-04-2014, 03:18 AM
A future Laker. Book it.

Chrisclover
06-04-2014, 03:19 AM
He will be a RFA, and probably get an overpay that Morey won't match is my guess.

But Morey always overpays

Chronz
06-04-2014, 03:49 AM

Almost nothing you said was true.

Hes more than just a shooter, he puts it on the deck and creates for others on hard close outs. You had to have seen very little of the Rox not to notice the many lobs he threw Dwight. The guy is like a younger AK-47, only without the defense, which is sad because he first came onto the scene as a quality defender.

Chronz
06-04-2014, 03:51 AM
But Morey always overpays

He never overpays. But he will this time, cant lose a guy like Parsons now.

SPURSFAN1
06-04-2014, 04:31 AM
You said he's a good scorer but not efficient

15.9 ppg 47% from the field and 37% from the 3

He's doesn't create for others

as a SF he averages 4 assist per game almost not being the dominate ball handler

Defensively he isn't bad he uses his 6'10 height and wing span to get the job done the best he can and is their best wing defender outside of Bev .

Nobody never said give him 14 million those were your words ; but 9 -11 I can easily see someone giving him . Don't know why you brought up Kwai in a Parsons thread other than to bait . Also in the playoffs he increases his production in scoring and everything else , his FG % takes a slight dip but it's still hovers around 45% .

47% is efficient? 50 percent is efficient. 6 spurs players probably have a higher 3 point percentage than 37%
4 assist but 2 turnovers per game :laugh:
2nd best wing defender on a defensively challenged team :worthy:
44% in the playoffs for a player that is only good at scoring :laugh2:

Playoffs 19.3 ppg 42mins .44% FG .50%eFG 6 rebounds 2.3assist .7steals .3blocks .8tov
19ppg on a team that averaged 112ppg. wow Tim and Tony have better averages on teams that were defensive oriented.
Not even good enough to beat the Blazers. Not even comparing that as you go further into the playoffs, the series' get harder as well as production.
I might just have higher standards from watching too much Spurs.

Chrisclover
06-04-2014, 04:45 AM
He never overpays. But he will this time, cant lose a guy like Parsons now.

I dont get it, why doesnt he pick up Parsons ' option?

SPURSFAN1
06-04-2014, 04:55 AM

The GM has to not pick up his last year and match the offers from other teams, or let him go. Or pick up the last year and then he'll be an unrestricted free agent next summer in which case he could go to another team.

Xplicit
06-04-2014, 05:25 AM
nice one for Cleveland.. they will draft Embiid and sign this one :)

Trueblue2
06-04-2014, 05:38 AM
Correct me if im wrong but does this mean that he can be offered a poison pill deal?

lamzoka
06-04-2014, 07:30 AM
This sounds like a good idea, but it can easily backfire. If Chicago offer him $85M/5yrs. I'd doubt rockets would match. And if they somehow throw a "poison pill" in there like they did with Lin, game over.

tr3ymill3r
06-04-2014, 07:55 AM
This sounds like a good idea, but it can easily backfire. If Chicago offer him $85M/5yrs. I'd doubt rockets would match. And if they somehow throw a "poison pill" in there like they did with Lin, game over.

Go ahead and give him $17 million per year, I didn't realize that we were talking about LeBron here.

rhino17
06-04-2014, 08:14 AM
I think this is too risky, I think a team out there will offer Chandler as much as 12/year in which case that would be difficult for us to match

I Rock Shaqs
06-04-2014, 08:18 AM

Wow way to low ball him he's easily worth twice that much, ya big dummy.

Jetsguy
06-04-2014, 08:32 AM
Cant a team make an offer like the Rockets did for Lin making it very unlikely they can match?

FOXHOUND
06-04-2014, 08:45 AM
Smart move to avoid him becoming an UFA next season when they would lose him for sure. The most a team can offer him is $14M/year, 4/$56M or 5/$70M. Making him a RFA at least gives them the chance to keep him long term. No team can offer him a poison pill, that's only for players with 1-2 years experience. They could possibly SnT him, maybe this opens the door for a potential Kevin Love trade. Nothing will come of this free agency wise, zero chance they can dump Lin or Asik in a straight money dump, let alone both.

EL_MACHETE
06-04-2014, 09:59 AM
It Would Be Nice To See Him With Okc But They Don't Have The Money For Him.. I Could See Chicago Going After Him If They Can't Get Melo Or Love

Pierzynski4Prez
06-04-2014, 10:02 AM
I don't get why people act like Houston can sign Melo in FA. Are they even aware of how badly Houston is over the cap?

THE MTL
06-04-2014, 10:27 AM
Parsons is worth an Igudola/Gallinari contract which starts at 12million. And honestly he is better than both of them. I see what Houston is doing to secure him as an RFA but I think the plan will backfire when Houston is torn into matching an extremely high offer of another team.

rhino17
06-04-2014, 10:33 AM
I don't get why people act like Houston can sign Melo in FA. Are they even aware of how badly Houston is over the cap?

If they dump lin and asik contract, they can afford him. They are already discussing a deal with Utah similar to the one golden state did last year, just a contract dump adding a 1st rounder

ManRam
06-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Someone wrote about this a while back (Lowe??) and after reading it I was convinced this would happen. I haven't read anything today or last night about it, but I believe this gives Houston flexibility this off season to really make a splash, and even the possibility of keeping him even in addition to that (since he's restricted they can re-sign him even if they're over the cap because of a big FA signing). But more obviously, it gives them control of him longer, albeit for a higher price in the short term. If they didn't do this he'd be an UFA next season and they'd have no control. This way they control their Parson's destiny (assuming no one signs him to a max offer sheet or something). It's a risk, but not a huge one and certainly one that's potentially really worth it.

And I'm sure all of that has been said already.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-04-2014, 10:40 AM
If they dump lin and asik contract, they can afford him. They are already discussing a deal with Utah similar to the one golden state did last year, just a contract dump adding a 1st rounder

They've discussed about 1,000 trades where they dump Asik. Bottom line is a team has to be willing to use all (or at least 15 mil) of its cap space on Asik or Lin, while at the same time giving up a pick. Not really a smart basketball decision, and pretty doubtful it happens, otherwise it would've already.

If it does happen, it will likely be well after FA has started, and some of the low market teams have struck out on the better players, in which Melo is already likely staying in NY, or bolted to Chicago or LA.

rhino17
06-04-2014, 11:00 AM
They've discussed about 1,000 trades where they dump Asik. Bottom line is a team has to be willing to use all (or at least 15 mil) of its cap space on Asik or Lin, while at the same time giving up a pick. Not really a smart basketball decision, and pretty doubtful it happens, otherwise it would've already.

If it does happen, it will likely be well after FA has started, and some of the low market teams have struck out on the better players, in which Melo is already likely staying in NY, or bolted to Chicago or LA.
They wouldn't be giving up a pick, the rockets would be giving up the pick plus asik and Lin for maybe a future 2nd.

And getting rid of asik shouldn't be a problem. He is a legitimately top 10 starting center and top 5 defensively. He is worth every penny of the contract.he was ultimately not traded because he was too valuable to give up last year. Lin is the problem and no one is gonna take his horrible contract along with his horrible basketball play without being packaged with asik or picks

Correct me if im wrong but does this mean that he can be offered a poison pill deal?

No, cannot

*Superman*
06-04-2014, 11:04 AM
Houston is going to take a step backwards if he leaves.

Chrisclover
06-04-2014, 11:18 AM

This is an understatement. Houston can be kicked out of the ranks of contenders due to the loss of Parsons.
A title contender degrades to a playoffs contender in the tough West.

bleedprple&gold
06-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Interesting that they can decline his option and still extend a qualifying offer. I thought when you declined a team option they automatically become an unrestricted FA. Anyway smart move by the Rockets. Its either pay Parsons now or pay him later. As a restricted FA they are not going to get as many competing bids for him since they can match any offer so they have a much better chance to keep him at a lower price then if he was unrestricted.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-04-2014, 11:33 AM
They wouldn't be giving up a pick, the rockets would be giving up the pick plus asik and Lin for maybe a future 2nd.

And getting rid of asik shouldn't be a problem. He is a legitimately top 10 starting center and top 5 defensively. He is worth every penny of the contract.he was ultimately not traded because he was too valuable to give up last year. Lin is the problem and no one is gonna take his horrible contract along with his horrible basketball play without being packaged with asik or picks

No, cannot

Ahh, so the Rockets sending out a pick. Yea that would make it easier. They still would need to get rid of both to have a chance. Trading just Asik doesn't give them any significant cap room when you factor in cap holds and whatnot. Not to sign Melo at least.

BoSox47
06-04-2014, 11:52 AM
How good does Deron Williams to Houston look now.

Houston would be dumb to pick up deron. He is damaged goods especially with the two surgeries he is having this summer and he is on a miserable contract. Guy hasnt been good since 2010.

smith&wesson
06-04-2014, 12:18 PM
rockets should keep him, he is a nice compliment to Howard imo.

*Superman*
06-04-2014, 01:07 PM

This is an understatement. Houston can be kicked out of the ranks of contenders due to the loss of Parsons.
A title contender degrades to a playoffs contender in the tough West.

Yeah of course. Hell with him they couldn't pass the 1st round, he's their 3rd best player. Besides all that he's a great young player who's going to get even better. He reminds me of a poor man's KD, they need to lock him up. Let's see, money talks.

Chronz
06-04-2014, 01:41 PM

Parons is RIDICULOUSLY underpaid, Morey has a reputation for finding money ball players but there reaches a point where a player might start holding it against his team for not rewarding him for his play. Poor Parsons was doing underwear commercials for some greek company or something, just so that he could clear a million. These goodwill moves garner sympathy for the club from agents around the league.

Rox dont want to lose Parsons in FA next year, this way they pay more but they ensure that they retain his services.

IndyRealist
06-04-2014, 02:41 PM
Not really a free market. I give it a 20% chance he plays in anything but a Rockets uni.

IndyRealist
06-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Interesting that they can decline his option and still extend a qualifying offer. I thought when you declined a team option they automatically become an unrestricted FA. Anyway smart move by the Rockets. Its either pay Parsons now or pay him later. As a restricted FA they are not going to get as many competing bids for him since they can match any offer so they have a much better chance to keep him at a lower price then if he was unrestricted.

They actually HAD to decline his option to make him a RFA, because he's a 2nd round pick. The Pacers took 2 team options and now Lance Stephenson is unrestricted.

D-Block21-Chito
06-04-2014, 04:39 PM
This guy is gone and will get paid at least 12 mil a year

NBA_Starter
06-04-2014, 05:01 PM
Charlotte should sign him and start him and MKG.

Tony_Starks
06-04-2014, 05:30 PM
Wouldn't be shocked if some way he ends up on the Wolves. Then they can start Pek, Love, Buddinger, Parsons and Rubio....

NBA_Starter
06-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Wouldn't be shocked if some way he ends up on the Wolves. Then they can start Pek, Love, Buddinger, Parsons and Rubio....

That still won't be enough for Love.

KnicksorBust
06-04-2014, 06:08 PM

He would be such a great fit on that team. I'd also love to see him on the Cavs, Pistons, Suns, or Hawks.

bleedprple&gold
06-04-2014, 07:30 PM

They actually HAD to decline his option to make him a RFA, because he's a 2nd round pick. The Pacers took 2 team options and now Lance Stephenson is unrestricted.

Yea its a unique situation since restricted free agency only applies to players with 3 or fewer years of experience for 2nd round picks. Rarely do you ever see a 2nd round pick signed to 4 year deals like Stephenson and Parsons were (I guess those teams knew they got a steal). I just thought before that declining a team option means you renounce all rights to that player but it's interesting they still let them become a restricted free agent especially considering when a 1st round pick gets his option declined he becomes an unrestricted free agent. I guess because 1st round picks are a different in that they become restricted free agents after their 4th year whereas 2nd round picks become unrestricted. The nba obviously wants to give teams every chance to retain their young players regardless if they are 1st or 2nd round picks by allowing different avenues for them to become restricted FAs.

Shammyguy3
06-04-2014, 09:16 PM

Efficiency is scoring as many points as possible on as few shots as possible. 3 point shots and free throws are the backbone of efficiency (along with shots at the rim). Parsons is elite in efficiency. He's a + passer (you laughed at him averaging 2 turnovers a game, what? :laugh2: a 2/1 assist/tov ratio for a non-point guard is fantastic. Not to mention, his ast% is 17%... as a 3rd option, that's damn good).

You're just biased for whatever reason, and haven't really any idea of how the Rockets' offense is run with Parsons as a main cog.

NBA_Starter
06-04-2014, 09:41 PM
He would be such a great fit on that team. I'd also love to see him on the Cavs, Pistons, Suns, or Hawks.

What about the Hornets?

amak316
06-04-2014, 10:09 PM
In before Morey inflates Parsons salary so he can put together a Asik + Parsons + 2 1sts package for KLove and a bad contract (budinger or Barea)

rockets-fan
06-05-2014, 01:49 AM

False.

Xplicit
06-10-2014, 09:54 AM
this is good for the Cavs

draft Embiid
sign parsons for 9-12mil range
extend KI..