PDA

View Full Version : Pistons expected to hire Jeff Bower as new GM

spreadeagle
06-02-2014, 01:59 PM
The Detroit Pistons are close to hiring Jeff Bower as general manager.

Bower will leave his job as head coach at Marist College to rejoin the NBA.

Bower spent seven seasons as general manager of the New Orleans Pelicans and gives Stan Van Gundy someone with a lot of front office experience.

Bower and Van Gundy have had a long relationship dating back to their early days as college basketball assistant coaches in the East. -Woj

Vinny642
06-02-2014, 02:04 PM
Bower was never a New Orleans Pelican, he was way gone beforehand.
Gross tho!!

MonroeFAN
06-02-2014, 02:05 PM
^Gross?

ok? I think it's a pretty good hire, but he's ultimately just there to be a numbers guy.

spreadeagle
06-02-2014, 02:14 PM
I think he had some nice draft pics, and got Chandler n Paul together

ManRam
06-02-2014, 02:29 PM
The experience and familiarity with SVG will help. SVG is gonna hold a bulk, or the bulk, of the power but Bower is a good source of guidance. He oversaw the Hornets during a pretty tumultuous time. He's well-seasoned.

Goose17
06-02-2014, 03:15 PM
I think he had some nice draft pics, and got Chandler n Paul together

Didn't he draft David West and Darren Collison as well?

I think it's about as good as it could get for the Pistons, he's a basketball first type GM (as opposed to profits etc) he's going to do what he thinks will help the team succeed. On top of that he was at the helm of New Orleans during the Katrina disaster and all the upheaval to OKC.

Plus he has a good relationship with SVG.

It's a solid move.

Deception
06-02-2014, 10:12 PM
You also have to realize, the other options were: Stu Jackson (Failure as a Grizz GM), Scott Layden (Failure as a Knicks GM), and Otis Smith (Not really a failure but not a good GM in his FA signings).