PDA

View Full Version : 2002-03 Tim Duncan VS 2012-13 Lebron James

Goose17
06-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Three questions, Just out of curiosity/fun, I will refrain from voting myself as I'm biased (Duncan is one of my top 3 favourite players of all time).

1. Who had the better season in terms of individual?

2. Who had the tougher finals opponent ('03 Nets or '13 Spurs)

3. Who's season means more to their legacy? Duncans '03, second MVP, second ring. Or Lebrons 4th MVP, second ring?

Just some numbers and facts for your information.

Tim Duncan 2002-03;

Regular season stats; 23.3 PPG (51% FG, 70% FT) 12.9 RPG, 3.9 APG, 2.9 BPG.
Post Season stats; 24.7 PPG (52% FG, 68% FT) 15.4 RPG, 5.3 APG, 3.3 BPG.
Won his second championship in that year.
Won Regular Season MVP that year.
Won Finals MVP that year.
All NBA First Team.
All NBA Defensive First Team.

Lebron James 2012-13;

Regular season stats; 26.8 PPG (56% FG, 75% FT), 8 RPG, 7.3 APG, 1.7 SPG.
Post season stats; 25.9 PPG (49% FG, 77% FT), 8.4 RPG, 6.6 APG, 1.8 SPG.
Won his second championship that year.
All NBA First Team.

todu82
06-02-2014, 04:45 PM
James of 2012-2013.

goingfor28
06-02-2014, 04:47 PM
Either. Both are crazy numbers

P&GRealist
06-02-2014, 05:01 PM
To be objective, LeBron had weaker MVP Superstar competition. Which 2 way players were there last yr others than Bron? Maybe CP3 and Durant?

2003 Duncan had to compete with 2 way players against prime Shaq, prime KG, Superstar Kobe who was just entering his prime, prime Iverson, prime JKidd, prime TMac, Prime Dirk.

Timmy had to stave off much tougher superstardom competition that yr than LeBron had to last yr.

abe_froman
06-02-2014, 05:10 PM
1.duncan-timmy pulled a barry,hakeem,ect. by basically carrying his team to a championship
2.lebron
3.duncan's

LordJohn
06-05-2014, 12:28 PM
1.LeBron. He was a better scorer and passer, Duncan was a better rebounder, and they were about equal on defense.

2. 13 Spurs. Is this even a question?

3.Probably LeBron, just because it seemed to "put him over the top" in people's minds; everyone saying he was a top ten player, the best forward ever, and comparing him to Jordan. I think Duncan's second ring made a lot of people say he was the best PF ever, but he didn't really become the consensus pick until a few years later. It was more of a gradual thing with him.

Pablonovi
06-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Three questions, Just out of curiosity/fun, I will refrain from voting myself as I'm biased (Duncan is one of my top 3 favourite players of all time).

1. Who had the better season in terms of individual?

2. Who had the tougher finals opponent ('03 Nets or '13 Spurs)

3. Who's season means more to their legacy? Duncans '03, second MVP, second ring. Or Lebrons 4th MVP, second ring?

Just some numbers and facts for your information.

Tim Duncan 2002-03;

Regular season stats; 23.3 PPG (51% FG, 70% FT) 12.9 RPG, 3.9 APG, 2.9 BPG.
Post Season stats; 24.7 PPG (52% FG, 68% FT) 15.4 RPG, 5.3 APG, 3.3 BPG.
Won his second championship in that year.
All NBA First Team.

Lebron James 2012-13;

Regular season stats; 26.8 PPG (56% FG, 75% FT), 8 RPG, 7.3 APG, 1.7 SPG.
Post season stats; 25.9 PPG (49% FG, 77% FT), 8.4 RPG, 6.6 APG, 1.8 SPG.
Won his second championship that year.
All NBA First Team.

Hey Goose17,
Great OP ! (Thanx for providing the stats: what incredibly similar numbers they are!)
WHERE'S THE POLL??? (Suggestion: Give THREE Options: TD>LBJ, LBJ >TD; TIE)

Why include a third option: "TIE" ?
Because there may be a number of posters, including myself, who feel that during their respective year, these two guys were close enough to each other to rate a "Tie".

Pablonovi
06-05-2014, 12:45 PM
I'd either choose: TIE
or
I'd take LBJ only because, imo, he was More Valuable * to the 2013 HEAT, than TD was to the 2003 Spurs.

* by "More Valuable To His Own Team" I mean both:
a) overall; and, in particular,
b) when compared to the "2nd Most Valuable Player On His Own Team".

i.e., LBJ's gap over DWade (for their Regular Season & Play-Offs success) was greater than
TD's gap over Parker & Ginobili)

Ebbs
06-05-2014, 02:15 PM
James for both.

JordansBulls
06-13-2014, 12:36 AM
Duncan did this for a franchise that he was drafted with and that he placed on the map as a winner.

Pablonovi
06-13-2014, 07:29 AM
Duncan did this for a franchise that he was drafted with and that he placed on the map as a winner.

Here's 11 All-Time Greats Who Contributed Greatly To Great Success For 2+ Teams
That's just off the top of my head, in under 2 minutes.

Hey JB,
Wilt did it for a franchise and then switched to another and won there too
KAJ did it for a franchise and then switched to another and won there too
Rick Barry did it for a franchise & then switched to another and won there too
Dr J did it for a franchise & then switched to another and won there too
Moses Malone did it for a franchise & then switched to another and won there too
Barkley did it for a franchise & then switched to another and won there too
Pippen did it for a franchise & then switched to another and won there too
Jordan did it for a franchise & then switched to another but didn't win much there
Shaq did it for a franchise & then switched to another and won there too
Karl Malone did it for a franchise & then switched to another and won there too
LeBron did it for a franchise & then switched to another and won there too

Also, in virtually all these cases, these All-Time Greats went to teams that had a BETTER chance to win.

flea
06-15-2014, 01:50 PM
1.LeBron. He was a better scorer and passer, Duncan was a better rebounder, and they were about equal on defense.

2. 13 Spurs. Is this even a question?

3.Probably LeBron, just because it seemed to "put him over the top" in people's minds; everyone saying he was a top ten player, the best forward ever, and comparing him to Jordan. I think Duncan's second ring made a lot of people say he was the best PF ever, but he didn't really become the consensus pick until a few years later. It was more of a gradual thing with him.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOL

Duncan's playoff on was clearly more impressive. The Heat waltzed through a weak East, had the flawed Pacers take them to 7, and then lost a coin flip series in the Finals. The Spurs in 03 went through a gauntlet in the West (the Lakers 3peat team, Dirk/Nash led Mavs, and Marbury/Marion led Suns) and played a Nets team that I feel is underrated by some fans - though I agree they were nothing compared to the 03 Lakers. The Spurs also pretty handily beat the Lakers, their toughest assignment, in 6 games with a couple blowouts (one being in the deciding game 6).

For regular seasons, Lebron's was probably more impressive. But for playoffs, Duncan, like someone already said, pulled a Hakeem by carrying his mediocre roster on both ends of the floor. 03 Duncan in playoffs is one of the 5 most impressive individual playoff runs of all time. Lebron's was good too, but it doesn't sniff top 5 or probably even top 10.

JordansBulls
06-19-2014, 10:36 PM
Here's 11 All-Time Greats Who Contributed Greatly To Great Success For 2+ Teams
That's just off the top of my head, in under 2 minutes.

Hey JB,
Wilt did it for a franchise and then switched to another and won there too
KAJ did it for a franchise and then switched to another and won there too
Rick Barry did it for a franchise & then switched to another and won there too
Dr J did it for a franchise & then switched to another and won there too
Moses Malone did it for a franchise & then switched to another and won there too
Barkley did it for a franchise & then switched to another and won there too
Pippen did it for a franchise & then switched to another and won there too
Jordan did it for a franchise & then switched to another but didn't win much there
Shaq did it for a franchise & then switched to another and won there too
Karl Malone did it for a franchise & then switched to another and won there too
LeBron did it for a franchise & then switched to another and won there too

Also, in virtually all these cases, these All-Time Greats went to teams that had a BETTER chance to win.
Like I said he never won with the franchise that drafted him. Anyone can win with a franchise known for winning especially when they join forces with superstars who were already superstars before the said player ever came there.

RocketsWin2013
06-20-2014, 02:13 PM
LeBron was just better on offense because he can do more things at a higher level....Better post-player than Duncan(IMO) and passer out of it, passer in general, 3-point shooter. Duncan has him at drawing fouls though.

Defense, it's, just Duncan.

Pablonovi
06-28-2014, 08:32 PM
Like I said he never won with the franchise that drafted him. Anyone can win with a franchise known for winning especially when they join forces with superstars who were already superstars before the said player ever came there.

Hey JB,
Isn't this just a tad arbitrary - insisting that a player MUST win THE Championship with the team that drafted him or else that must be held against him forever?

As far as I know there is no NBA law / legal document; nor is there a moral "law" that insists on such nonsense.
Besides, can you 100% guarantee that MJ would not have bolted to another franchise IF the Bulls had never gotten good enough to challenge for Chips? For myself, I'd bet he would have bolted; more power to him.

Your arguments seem to be ALL based on finding some exceptional twist to things that only MJ qualifies for.

This thing about JOINING SUPERSTARS as opposed to being JOINED BY SUPERSTARS is more just utter nonsense. It makes NO difference if you join them or they join you OR if they develop on your own team. The fact is, Chips are almost always (90+% of the time) won by Stacked Teams.

I never have seen you criticize the Bulls for brining in Rodman and having perhaps THE MOST DEFENSIVELY STACKED TEAM OF ALL TIME, with MJ, Pippen & Rodman all in the League's Top 5 Defenders ON ONE TEAM!
And we are always told that Defense wins Championships. Rodman was a mortal enemy (deservedly so, imo) of the Bulls. What right did they have to bring him on board? WHY did they? Because it HUGELY helped them win more Chips.

The HEAT were NOT KNOWN FOR WINNING - they had won 1 Chip in their entire history. You just pile nonsense-claim on top of nonsense-claim (as long as it supposedly can be made to support MJ-as-God).

And NO! "anyone can NOT win with a franchise known for winning". It takes a whole lot more than just that.

JordansBulls
07-15-2014, 03:56 PM
Isn't this just a tad arbitrary - insisting that a player MUST win THE Championship with the team that drafted him or else that must be held against him forever?

No it is not, it is a fact, Duncan won for a franchise not known for winning while Lebron did so for a franchise that had a guy who won as the man already.

Now if Lebron wins in Cleveland it would be similar.

kdspurman
07-24-2014, 11:10 PM
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOL

Duncan's playoff on was clearly more impressive. The Heat waltzed through a weak East, had the flawed Pacers take them to 7, and then lost a coin flip series in the Finals. The Spurs in 03 went through a gauntlet in the West (the Lakers 3peat team, Dirk/Nash led Mavs, and Marbury/Marion led Suns) and played a Nets team that I feel is underrated by some fans - though I agree they were nothing compared to the 03 Lakers. The Spurs also pretty handily beat the Lakers, their toughest assignment, in 6 games with a couple blowouts (one being in the deciding game 6).

For regular seasons, Lebron's was probably more impressive. But for playoffs, Duncan, like someone already said, pulled a Hakeem by carrying his mediocre roster on both ends of the floor. 03 Duncan in playoffs is one of the 5 most impressive individual playoff runs of all time. Lebron's was good too, but it doesn't sniff top 5 or probably even top 10.

+1... I don't think they were anywhere near equal on defense, Duncan was absolutely dominant on both ends. He carried his team for sure, and Lebron had 2 other all stars with him. Duncan had no such fortune. People see Parker/Ginobili/Robinson on that team and don't realize it was D-Rob's last season and Parker/Ginobili's first few years.

That was one of the best finals/playoff performances ever. His finals numbers were insane

Cheesesteak
07-26-2014, 04:02 AM
Everyone's quick to judge Lebron but there is no denying his greatness and impact in the league. Tim Duncan is the greatest Power Forward of all time, but Lebron is one of the all time greats overall. Anyone still denying it now will come around soon enough. But right now we NBA fans are witnessing history.

For all 3 questions, Lebron is my answer. Numbers don't lie.

Kobe and Dwight worked out very well didn't they? Jordan won those championships without Pippen right? Duncan without Parker, Ginobli, Robinson... Pop? Don't make excuses man. No man can win a championship on his own. Basketball is a TEAM sport.

afox
03-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Everyone's quick to judge Lebron but there is no denying his greatness and impact in the league. Tim Duncan is the greatest Power Forward of all time, but Lebron is one of the all time greats overall. Anyone still denying it now will come around soon enough. But right now we NBA fans are witnessing history.

For all 3 questions, Lebron is my answer. Numbers don't lie.

Kobe and Dwight worked out very well didn't they? Jordan won those championships without Pippen right? Duncan without Parker, Ginobli, Robinson... Pop? Don't make excuses man. No man can win a championship on his own. Basketball is a TEAM sport.

I know you didn't mean to word it quite like that...but Timmy is one of the all time greats(not just PF) He's currently ahead of Bron on the all time list...