PDA

View Full Version : Who's Duncan's rival?

tm95835
06-01-2014, 11:46 PM
In 10 years when we look back at it all, who's going down as Duncan's rival? Shaq in early 2000? Kobe throughout the 2000s? Or simply the lakers? Even Dirk? Two great forwards of Texas

I think Lebron could be seen as somewhat of a rival in the late end of Duncan's career, finals in 07,13,14

Or is Duncan to nice a dude to have rivals? Best PF of all time should have a rival

P&GRealist
06-01-2014, 11:48 PM
Kobe, then Dirk, then Shaq, then LeBron.

And I say LeBron because this is actually the 3rd time the 2 will be facing each other in the finals. 2007, 2013, 2014.

This yr's finals is essentially the tie-breaker between the two.

goingfor28
06-01-2014, 11:48 PM
Nerlens Noel

Crunch Time
06-01-2014, 11:50 PM
should've been Garnett, but Duncan has been blessed with great core and an even greater coach

SanAntonioSpurs23
06-01-2014, 11:52 PM
Kobe, Shaq, Dirk, KG (they legitimately don't like each other) maybe Nash?

still1ballin
06-02-2014, 12:29 AM
Latrell sprewell

amos1er
06-02-2014, 12:31 AM
Father Time. Duncan is winning thus far.

Hangtime
06-02-2014, 12:36 AM
Probably got to go with Dirk. They play the same position. And how many times have those two faced off in the playoffs. They also play in the same division. There was always more at stake.

tredigs
06-02-2014, 01:42 AM
Shaq was his top rival. To a lesser extent Dirk and KG.

Hawkeye15
06-02-2014, 01:54 AM
nobody really

abe_froman
06-02-2014, 02:07 AM
either dirk-3rd best pf(timmy's primary position)during timmy's reign,and they met each other tons in the playoffs and each series were pretty rivalryish(due to both teams being in texas and title threats at the same time usually)

or shaq-shaq there other premiere big man and only real challenger for best player in the league during duncan's prime(the mvp race was seen as usually being between those two,with timmy usually winning it),and the spurs dynasty started at the same time as shaq's lakers

Ebbs
06-02-2014, 02:11 AM
Garnett.

Than Dirk.

Than Amare.

Lakers + Giants
06-02-2014, 03:20 AM
nobody really

This.

Exactly why the spurs have dominated for the last 15 years. The spurs never made it about 1 player vs another, they made it the spurs vs the other team. Never individual matchups. Its exactly why they dominate, they play team oriented basketball, they never let it become 1 player vs another, they made it 1 team vs another. This is why theyve dominated despite being old, their team game is that good.

Bruno
06-02-2014, 04:37 AM
Shaq. they met in the playoffs five times over a six year period from 99-04. they met a sixth time in 2008 when Shaq was in phoenix.

Dirk has also matched up with Duncan six times in the playoffs.

KG Kobe and LBJ to a lesser extent than Shaq and Dirk. KG only met Duncan three times in the playoffs. kobe and lebron are wings and don't really match up with Duncan.

Asik's better
06-02-2014, 05:04 AM
Joey Crawford

Munkeysuit
06-02-2014, 05:24 AM
Duncans true rival(s) was and always be Shaq and Kobe

PurpleLynch
06-02-2014, 06:29 AM
Joey Crawford

I totally agree :D

beasted86
06-02-2014, 07:30 AM
Shaq was his top rival. To a lesser extent Dirk and KG.

This.

beasted86
06-02-2014, 07:35 AM
A Kobe led team beat the Spurs like once. Dirk beat Duncan more than Kobe teams.

D-Leethal
06-02-2014, 07:43 AM
I'm going with Dirk. But it's really a combination of Shaq/Kobe, Dirk, STAT/Nash, and I think the Heat deserve a mention for the twilight of his career now that they are in b2b Finals.

SeoulBeatz
06-02-2014, 08:08 AM
KG in his prime comes to mind.

king4day
06-02-2014, 10:03 AM
I'd go with Dirk. He plays him at least 4 times per year. They've had many playoff battles where both sides have come on top. That defines a rivalry for sure.

MrfadeawayJB
06-02-2014, 10:12 AM
KG in his prime comes to mind.

Yup my first thoughts as well

Crackadalic
06-02-2014, 10:49 AM
Garnett.

Than Dirk.

Than Amare.

Should add shaq too.

Can't remember how much kg played against Duncan in the playoffs

Dirk was a better rival

Amare average 37 against a prime Duncan in a series. 37!! Duncan still win tho

IKnowHoops
06-02-2014, 12:07 PM
KG, Shaq, Dirk. Lakers vs Spurs was the biggest rivalry so it pushes it to Shaqs side a lot. But KG and Tim were the two best at there position and they battled a lot, the Twolves as a team just couldn't compare to the Spurs as a team.

Sly Guy
06-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Father Time. Duncan is winning thus far.

I like it.

LTBaByyy
06-02-2014, 01:25 PM
nobody really

Dirk says hi

Met in playoffs 6 times. Play 4 times a year for the last 14 years? Up until the last 3 years, NO ONE was the favorite in a Spurs -Mavs matchup because both sides have won their share

It was literally even in wins and losses between Dirk and Duncan until the last 3 years

Both of them post like 20 & 10 on eachother for career average

Both players have upset the other in the playoffs when one was the higher seed

Both won MVP, Finals MVP, 12+ All Stars, 10+ All NBA

Both top 5 PF's of all time. Both top 15 players of all time

Both stayed w/ the same organization

Spurs - Mavs rivalry is one of the greatest and underrated rivalries of all time because of those 2 players

If they both were all about themselves and egotistic we would know more about the rivalry

But they both are team first guys even being 2 of the best to ever play

smith&wesson
06-02-2014, 01:38 PM
In 10 years when we look back at it all, who's going down as Duncan's rival? Shaq in early 2000? Kobe throughout the 2000s? Or simply the lakers? Even Dirk? Two great forwards of Texas

I think Lebron could be seen as somewhat of a rival in the late end of Duncan's career, finals in 07,13,14

Or is Duncan to nice a dude to have rivals? Best PF of all time should have a rival

I would say early to mid career it was shaq... and mid career to later its lebron. the two guys he competed with most in the finals.

KnicksorBust
06-02-2014, 02:29 PM
My first thought was Shaq and then Dirk. I am surprised people are acting like he had no rivals just because he didn't have a media blow-out doesn't mean he wasn't playing at the highest level against the same legendary opponents (Lakers/Mavs) repeatedly.

Bruno
06-02-2014, 02:45 PM
A Kobe led team beat the Spurs like once. Dirk beat Duncan more than Kobe teams.

Kobe destroyed the Spurs in 2001. let the numbers do the talking.

abe_froman
06-02-2014, 02:48 PM
My first thought was Shaq and then Dirk. I am surprised people are acting like he had no rivals just because he didn't have a media blow-out doesn't mean he wasn't playing at the highest level against the same legendary opponents (Lakers/Mavs) repeatedly.
i think its more about the short term memories of basketball fans,nba fans are notorious for having short term memories(if it didnt happen in the last 5 years,you can be bothered to remember).the lakers/spurs rivalry was 10+ years ago and i think its much the same with mavs even though it was more recent.

Chronz
06-02-2014, 02:49 PM
Kobe destroyed the Spurs in 2001. let the numbers do the talking.
Just curious, did you consider James Worthy to be the leader of his championship team, in any meaningful capacity?

D-Leethal
06-02-2014, 04:24 PM
Dirk says hi

Met in playoffs 6 times. Play 4 times a year for the last 14 years? Up until the last 3 years, NO ONE was the favorite in a Spurs -Mavs matchup because both sides have won their share

It was literally even in wins and losses between Dirk and Duncan until the last 3 years

Both of them post like 20 & 10 on eachother for career average

Both players have upset the other in the playoffs when one was the higher seed

Both won MVP, Finals MVP, 12+ All Stars, 10+ All NBA

Both top 5 PF's of all time. Both top 15 players of all time

Both stayed w/ the same organization

Spurs - Mavs rivalry is one of the greatest and underrated rivalries of all time because of those 2 players

If they both were all about themselves and egotistic we would know more about the rivalry

But they both are team first guys even being 2 of the best to ever play

Yea I mean I gotta agree with this. Dirk took him out in the WCF, Duncan won his fair share, both won titles, both won MVPs, both played in the same division for 15 plus years. ****, even this year they went to 7 games. I don't think anyone has a viable case all things considered - longevity going at it, both teams winning huge playoff series, both being champs, both being MVPs, both being in the same division. What else do you need? Oh yea, more media hoopla and **** talking - than it would be a no brainer.

JasonJohnHorn
06-03-2014, 03:41 PM
should've been Garnett, but Duncan has been blessed with great core and an even greater coach

This.

Just like Malone and Barkley, who seldom played each other in the playoffs, were drafted around the same time and competed for the title of best PF, Garnett and Duncan have been doing the same.

Early, I'd say it was the Shaq/Duncan match-ups, but DRob often played Shaq when the Spurs and Lakers went head-to-head.

But at the end of the day, there simply hasn't been a player like Duncan in the league since he came in.

Dirk/Duncan is good to. The Mavs and Spurs have played each other a lot.

SPURSFAN1
06-03-2014, 03:46 PM
KG was never near Duncan's rival. The mavs and lakers are clear cut rivals. KG? Seriously?

SLY WILLIAMS
06-03-2014, 03:54 PM
It has been a while but Shaq was Duncan's #1 rival probably.

KG tried to be a rival but you have to win sometimes to have a rivalry.

gatkins11
06-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Dirk, no question.

Tony_Starks
06-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Kobe, Shaq, and the Lakers collectively. When everyone was in their primes Lakers vs the Spurs was basically the championship.....

YAALREADYKNO
06-03-2014, 03:59 PM
shaq early in his career dirk in the middle of his career. Maybe durant and lebron now?

Hellcrooner
06-03-2014, 04:03 PM
none.
even if unheralded he has been the true best player the last 15 years or so.

TheNumber37
06-03-2014, 04:10 PM
Rivalries don't happen until both teams have met in the playoffs and beaten the other on several occasions...
That would leave... Lakers and Mavs and to a lesser extent Lebron, he hasn't been formidable to Duncan until last year when he proved he could beat him.

Kobe, Shaq, Dirk... IF Duncan beats Lebron in this finals, is it really a rivalry considering Lebron was swept by Tony Parker the first time around?

kdspurman
06-03-2014, 04:17 PM
Rivalries don't happen until both teams have met in the playoffs and beaten the other on several occasions...
That would leave... Lakers and Mavs and to a lesser extent Lebron, he hasn't been formidable to Duncan until last year when he proved he could beat him.

Kobe, Shaq, Dirk... IF Duncan beats Lebron in this finals, is it really a rivalry considering Lebron was swept by Tony Parker the first time around?

Lebron wasn't beat by Tony Parker, it's a team game. And just case he was the finals MVP, doesn't mean he's the one who beat him. Duncan was very good that series as well, if you go back and look at his stats.. His interior defense was a big reason why Lebron struggled to get going.

Ebbs
06-03-2014, 04:52 PM
KG was never near Duncan's rival. The mavs and lakers are clear cut rivals. KG? Seriously?

The Mavericks and Dirk make the most sense.

But it's sort of a badly kept secret that Duncan never like Garnett.

SPURSFAN1
06-03-2014, 04:56 PM
The Mavericks and Dirk make the most sense.

But it's sort of a badly kept secret that Duncan never like Garnett.

I know Duncan doesn't like KG, but that doesn't mean they were rivals.

NoahH
06-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Kobe, then Dirk, then Shaq, then LeBron.

And I say LeBron because this is actually the 3rd time the 2 will be facing each other in the finals. 2007, 2013, 2014.

This yr's finals is essentially the tie-breaker between the two.

2007 doesnt count because it was San Antonio vs. Lebron James

BRADfromOZ
06-03-2014, 11:48 PM
Mike James or Father Time. No one else comes close.

FKS1994
06-04-2014, 12:23 AM
as a lakers fan, i have to say Shaq. read what he has to say about duncan. obviously that rival has long been passed but it was always shaq's goal to stay ahead of duncan and not ahead of Kobe. shaq praises duncan saying numerous times he could not crack the duncvini code(lol) and the fact that he and duncan battled it out with duncan stealing some mvp's give or take. yes, shortlived but i think shaq was his truest rivalry..
garnett/dirk/kobe are top 5 if there were ever a rivalry list

NBA_Starter
06-04-2014, 02:48 PM
He is to nice to have a rival but seriously LeBron after last year I guess?