PDA

View Full Version : The rematch..... Who wins??

P&GRealist
05-31-2014, 11:29 PM
A rematch of last yr's finals. The last time the same 2 teams competed in b2b finals were Bulls and Jazz in 97 & 98.

The San Antonio Spurs had the best overall record in the NBA and will have homecourt advantage in the revised 2-2-1-1-1 format (no longer 2-3-2). They are the 2x defending Western conference champions.

The Miami Heat are the 4x defending Eastern Conference champions and 2x defending NBA Champions.

Who wins and in how many games?

Do the Heat 3peat and best the Spurs again? Or do the Spurs win their first title in 7 yrs and redeem themselves against the Heat like they just got their redemption from OKC?

Spurs-Heat II: Game 1 starts Thursday night in San Antonio.

Ty Fast
05-31-2014, 11:37 PM
Heat in 6!!!

P&GRealist
05-31-2014, 11:40 PM
The road to the finals for each team.

Spurs:

Beat Dallas (8) 4-3
Beat Portland (5) 4-1
Beat Oklahoma City (2) 4-2

Heat:

Beat Charlotte (7) 4-0
Beat Brooklyn (6) 4-1
Beat Indiana (1) 4-2

raiderfaninTX
05-31-2014, 11:41 PM
7 games Heat win it.

BrandoCommando
05-31-2014, 11:44 PM
Agree with Heat in 6.

Wade n Fade
05-31-2014, 11:46 PM
Heat in 6. San Antonio said it best, they cannot compete with highly athletic teams. They shoot well and defend well. Miami also shoots well and defends well. Miami is also younger and more athletic. This allows Miami to three peat because they take on what OKC has and provides a near complete product excluding rebounding. The Heat can shoot well (highest shooting team in NBA reg season history), defend well, run in transition, etc. It will be another classic series and the worst thing for San Antonio is if they win game 1 vs Miami since the Heat are unbeaten when losing the first game in a series in the Big Three era. Lebron James is playing at a high level. Miami did not take a beating this year by going 12-3 in the playoffs. San Antonio played two grueling series with different teams. Parker is not at 100%, which gives the haters an excuse once a three peat does happen.

ManRam
05-31-2014, 11:47 PM
Spurs in 6-7. I just think they're a tad better than last year, and the Heat are just a tad worse. But they're so evenly matched, so who knows? Should be fun.

Wade n Fade
05-31-2014, 11:47 PM
Heat in 6, but history says Heat in 7.

Riodagoat
05-31-2014, 11:49 PM
Heat in 6. I don't see them wining game 7 in SA.

Wade n Fade
05-31-2014, 11:50 PM
Spurs in 6-7. I just think they're a tad better than last year, and the Heat are just a tad worse. But they're so evenly matched, so who knows? Should be fun.

Tad worse, idk for sure. Sure, Miami didn't win enough games to be the #1 seed, but D-Wade missed over 1/3 of the season. Miami relied on their switch too much this season too. They steamrolled through the playoffs and didn't really have trouble winning games. Sure, Mike Miller is gone. Miami has a healthy D-Wade. That's a huge upgrade over last year. Wade was at 50-75% last year.

Crackadalic
05-31-2014, 11:52 PM
Home court is now 2-2-1-1-1 with spurs having home court

If it was last year format the heat with 3 straight home games would have had a chance but this year it will be tougher

Spurs in 7

jimm120
05-31-2014, 11:57 PM
This just shows...wow. Spurs had to go through the -Mavs, who even though a flawed and 8th seed, were a TOUGH team. Then Portland, who is an energetic young team that has potential. Then went up against a supposed title contender in the Thunder.

In comparison, the Heat have had to go up against:

Charlotte - up and coming team, but its lucky to even be in the playoffs
Brooklyn - a super old team that go that 6 seed because of how bad the east is. Extremely flawed team.
Indiana - a team that's been broken since February and had a lot of divisions within itself...and they're good defensively but not really a contender because of lacking offense.

The best of those teams....

OKC
Portland
Dallas
Indy
Brooklyn
Charlotte

Miami took the road that was so easy.

The road to the finals for each team.

Spurs:

Beat Dallas (8) 4-3
Beat Portland (5) 4-1
Beat Oklahoma City (2) 4-2

Heat:

Beat Charlotte (7) 4-0
Beat Brooklyn (6) 4-1
Beat Indiana (1) 4-2

Red_Pill
05-31-2014, 11:58 PM
I'm going with San Antonio. They want it more.

jimm120
05-31-2014, 11:59 PM
With the "easy" road to the finals, I don't understand how any Free Agent star would want to go to the West. Go East, and you're guaranteed a playoff spot and an "easy" playoff schedule that only has to deal with Miami.

That's 3rd round of the playoffs already guaranteed.

sens#11fan
06-01-2014, 12:00 AM
SA please, Duncan needs to retire,lol. Lets end his career on a high note and lets get the lebron vs Kd rematch.

Jeffy25
06-01-2014, 12:00 AM
I think the Spurs win it in 7

Gonna be a good series.

ManRam
06-01-2014, 12:02 AM
Tad worse, idk for sure. Sure, Miami didn't win enough games to be the #1 seed, but D-Wade missed over 1/3 of the season. Miami relied on their switch too much this season too. They steamrolled through the playoffs and didn't really have trouble winning games. Sure, Mike Miller is gone. Miami has a healthy D-Wade. That's a huge upgrade over last year. Wade was at 50-75% last year.

Their defense is still not at all where it was last year. That's really what it boils down to for me. Even in the playoffs against poor offensive teams, it's not on pace.

Wade has been better, and that's the big plus, for sure. But if they can't defend a bit better they won't beat this Spurs team. That offense can just kill anyone in far too many ways.

jerellh528
06-01-2014, 12:06 AM
Spurs in 6

bluefire7002
06-01-2014, 12:07 AM
Spurs in 6

SPURSFAN1
Spurs are a little beat up though. I hope everyone is in good shape by the time the finals start.

Wade n Fade
Their defense is still not at all where it was last year. That's really what it boils down to for me. Even in the playoffs against poor offensive teams, it's not on pace.

Wade has been better, and that's the big plus, for sure. But if they can't defend a bit better they won't beat this Spurs team. That offense can just kill anyone in far too many ways.

92.1 PPG allowed vs 90.7 PPG allowed in the last two post seasons. In the mean time, Miami's shooting % is near 50% per game this postseason. Miami improved offensively while giving a little less effort on D. The Spurs give up more on D this postseason too. So what you're saying is little bit more negligible in my eyes.

DemarDerozan
06-01-2014, 12:08 AM
Spurs in 5 book it.

Pop and Duncan aren't ****ing around this year. Kawhi is better this year and will shut down LBJ again. Lebron is worse this year and the rest of the Heat will crumble.

Break it down by position:

PG: Spurs
SG: Draw
SF: Heat
PF: Spurs
C: Spurs

Bench: Spurs:
Coaching: Spurs (not even close)
Home court: Spurs

jimm120
06-01-2014, 12:09 AM
That said, being a Knicks fan,...I hope the teams find a way to both lose.

That defeat in 99 by the Spurs was Ewing's last shot
and the rivalry the Knicks/Heat had from 96-01 was spectacular (Btw, Knicks came out on top usually :) )

Red_Pill
06-01-2014, 12:11 AM
Spurs are a little beat up though. I hope everyone is in good shape by the time the finals start.

Yeah, hope Parker is alright. I really want them to beat Miami, and they'll need him.

beasted86
06-01-2014, 12:14 AM

Yeah, but then again you picked the Pacers. So what do you really know anyway....

Wade n Fade
06-01-2014, 12:17 AM
Yeah, but then again you picked the Pacers. So what do you really know anyway....

Is this true, lol? :laugh:

Wade n Fade
06-01-2014, 12:18 AM
Spurs in 5 book it.

Pop and Duncan aren't ****ing around this year. Kawhi is better this year and will shut down LBJ again. Lebron is worse this year and the rest of the Heat will crumble.

Shows how much you know about basketball? How is Manu at the same level as Wade and Ray Allen? Danny Green too? Please. Heat have an edge at the 5. Bosh > Splitter. Sounds like a misinformed NBA fan or a troll.

Cal827
06-01-2014, 12:18 AM
Spurs in 5 book it.

:laugh: I understand you have your opinions on who's gonna win the series, but it's not a draw at SG.

ManRam
06-01-2014, 12:19 AM
92.1 PPG allowed vs 90.7 PPG allowed in the last two post seasons. In the mean time, Miami's shooting % is near 50% per game this postseason. Miami improved offensively while giving a little less effort on D. The Spurs give up more on D this postseason too. So what you're saying is little bit more negligible in my eyes.

The validity of advanced stats is one thing, but defensive rating is NOT an advanced stat. It's just an undoubtedly superior way to look at defense than PPG.

DRtg: 107.7 this year to 102.9 last year and 101.6 the year before (all playoff-only stats).

Hell, they're letting these lesser offensive teams post a 51.9% eFG% (not good) this year. 48% last year. The defense just hasn't quite been as good, period.

The offense overall has been better, for sure...and Indy and even Charlotte are really good defensive teams. It's gonna be a great series. I said they were really evenly matched teams, I just think the Spurs have the slightest of advantages, that's all.

ManRam
06-01-2014, 12:19 AM

Nothing!

still1ballin
06-01-2014, 12:20 AM
Spurs

beasted86
06-01-2014, 12:21 AM
Spurs in 5 book it.

If the Spurs are better at every position, and coaching, and Kawhi will shut down LeBron, why on Earth would the HEAT win 1 game in this series? Cheating by the NBA/refs? If so, why wouldn't they just cheat it to 7 games instead of only 5?

TheMightyHumph
06-01-2014, 12:22 AM
Pops is gonna have to do some serious coaching.

I see Spurs having trouble with the Bosh/Lebron tandem.

GO POPS!!!!

Wade n Fade
06-01-2014, 12:25 AM
The validity of advanced stats is one thing, but defensive rating is NOT an advanced stat. It's just an undoubtedly superior way to look at defense than PPG.

DRtg: 107.7 this year to 102.9 last year and 101.6 the year before (all playoff-only stats).

Hell, they're letting these lesser offensive teams post a 51.9% eFG% (not good) this year. 48% last year. The defense just hasn't quite been as good, period.

The offense overall has been better, for sure...and Indy and even Charlotte are really good defensive teams. It's gonna be a great series. I said they were really evenly matched teams, I just think the Spurs have the slightest of advantages, that's all.

I haven't seen much of the hitch though. I like advanced stats a lot, but it sometimes doesn't beat the ole eye test. I would say this is Miami's best level of the season anyways. I am a big time believer in historical trends, so that's why I threw out the 0-1 Heat unbeaten streak out a few times in general.

ManRam
06-01-2014, 12:29 AM
I haven't seen much of the hitch though. I like advanced stats a lot, but it sometimes doesn't beat the ole eye test. I would say this is Miami's best level of the season anyways. I am a big time believer in historical trends, so that's why I threw out the 0-1 Heat unbeaten streak out a few times in general.

How many points you give up per possession is pretty cut and dry. That's the whole goal of defense: not allowing points. Again, eFG and DRtg need to stop being labeled "advanced stats". They're so simple and intuitive. They should be controversial at all.

And if your eye test is telling you that this defense has been better than last year, well, maybe get a new eye doctor ;) They're playing POOR offensive teams, let's not forget.

Wade n Fade
06-01-2014, 12:32 AM
How many points you give up per possession is pretty cut and dry. That's the whole goal of defense: not allowing points. Again, eFG and DRtg need to stop being labeled "advanced stats". They're so simple and intuitive. They should be controversial at all.

And if your eye test is telling you that this defense has been better than last year, well, maybe get a new eye doctor ;) They're playing POOR offensive teams, let's not forget.

I said sometimes it doesn't beat the ole eye test. I am not saying that I can see a difference, but rather I am saying the difference is minute. It's kinda looking at a 720p display vs a 768p display on a cell phone. You know there is a difference, but not by much.

kdspurman
06-01-2014, 12:44 AM

Have to look at the competition though IMO. Charlotte/Brooklyn/Indy aren't exactly offensive juggernauts.

beasted86
06-01-2014, 12:46 AM

All advanced stats have their flaws. Its just whether you understand them and are willing to live with them. That's why I actually prefer the recent name change to "advanced metrics", because they aren't actually traditional "statistics".

DRtg doesn't account for "free" FT possessions given by technical fouls, nor does it account for a blocked shot or pass knocked out of bounds if it stays with the same team. That's not actually counted as a possession even though it definitely says something about a teams defense to block shots, or deflect passes and make a team basically restart its offense. Also doesn't account for a defense that wears down another team by slowing them down with stingy defense. That is an intangible factor that is a major key to some team's defense that isn't accounted for in this stat.

FlashBolt
06-01-2014, 12:47 AM
Have to look at the competition though IMO. Charlotte/Brooklyn/Indy aren't exactly offensive juggernauts.

I think Spurs have a shot if Miami's role players don't come into play. Spurs bench is the deepest and that'll be the difference. However.. If Wade/Bosh comes to play, it's over.

PeanutPunch33
06-01-2014, 12:49 AM
I think spurs having HCA is big. I'll lean towards spurs in 7

WadeCounty
06-01-2014, 12:55 AM
Please prove me wrong but I got Spurs in 7

%%%%
06-01-2014, 12:58 AM
Heat in 5 or 6.

San Antonio was supposed to win Game 6 last year. If they beat Miami this year, then they effectively beat Miami twice.

I'm using weird reasoning, but I feel the odds are against the Spurs.

P&GRealist
06-01-2014, 12:58 AM
Spurs in 5

torocan
06-01-2014, 01:01 AM
I'm leaning towards Spurs in 6, but I'll say Spurs in 7 with HCA being the difference. However, you just never know with Wade being healthy right now. I'm putting it at 60/40.

The Spurs are better than they were last year with the growth of Leonard and Splitter and their bench is as deep as I've ever seen it. On the other hand, I don't think the Heat have gotten better.

And let's not underestimate the revenge factor. The Spurs have had this rematch circled on their calender since last year's Finals. And you know that Pops has been planning for this match up all year as well. When it comes to being hungry, it's a lot harder to be as hungry going for your 3rd championship than when you were 16s from a championship and ended up losing the series.

Either way, it's going to be a heck of a series.

king4day
06-01-2014, 01:25 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if Miami won but believe Spurs win this in 5 or 6. I feel like the Spurs matchup in every way possible outside of LeBron (who nobody can guard). And even with that, Leonard can give him fits at least.

For Miami to win, they need to have lights out shooting for a couple of wins (Lewis, Battier, Allen). Figure LeBron is good for 1 or 2 wins by himself.
Wade will be their wildcard too. Needs to be 'pre injury' form.

Asik's better
06-01-2014, 01:31 AM
Spurs in 7, Duncan makes game winning shot making up for last year.

PacersForLife
06-01-2014, 02:36 AM
Spurs in 7.

Munkeysuit
06-01-2014, 03:14 AM
Heat will win in 5

Gnac76
06-01-2014, 03:17 AM
Is Popovich really going to lose TWO consecutive finals series against the SAME team? The spurs have been thinking about losing last years finals for a year now. The heat are on a roll but really who has the more motivation here? The spurs core is on the doorstep of retirement and may not have next year to try again where as if the heat lose they'll always have, at a minimum, next year to contend together (all players opt in) and if not together at least 5 years min but likely over 10 years in each of the big 3's respective career left. The spurs just have more to lose and more motivation on their side.

That said Lebron could just be other worldly and show the spurs how old they are.

Either heat in 6 or Spurs in 7. If I had to choose i'd go with spurs.

goingfor28
06-01-2014, 03:23 AM
"We've got 4 more to win, we'll do it this time" - Tim Duncan
talking about facing the Heat. Glad it's the Heat again and talking about the bad taste left in the Spurs mouths after blowing last year's finals

JC_
06-01-2014, 03:54 AM
At the beginning of the year I had Spurs vs Indy with Spurs winning. The Heat is playing better this postseason than I expected. Cole is back to normal, Wade is playing healthy and Lebron is better than ever. I expect Ginobli to be better than last year but I'm going to be crazy and say Heat in 5.

Swift Game
06-01-2014, 04:04 AM
I really dont like Miami and almost feel as some of their titles will have an asterisk for me beacuse the big 3 colluded on getting together...just my opinion.

Also last year seemed pretty fishy to me how pop left Duncan out on 2 critical possesions at the end of game 6. Pop probably one of the best coaches of all time and him making uncharacteristic moves like 5 smaller players to guard the3 point shot..They got 4 shots in 2 possesions..Duncan would have boxed out Bosh end of story and puts the spurs at the FT line..I remember the game was pretty much a wrap and then the above happens. I dont know if their was a conspiracy or not but the spurs rarely make mistakes especially in the Finals....I still question game 6 last year...call me crazy...

With all that said...the Heat are still the 2 time champs and they have the momentum to three peat. Im not a heat fan or spurs fan but it seems like its theirs to lose. I think Lebron and miami have a different perception if they lose last year...my respect for lebron will grow if he dominates and wins in the finals again.

Now if the spurs are full strength I think they can win this series. Parker wasnt 100% last finals and appears that way again and that is why I think Miami holds the edge. If parker is still a bad a s s then I go with the spurs. I just hope parker gets in touch with Serge Ibakas people quick so he can go full force....lol.

P&GRealist
06-01-2014, 04:17 AM
If TP is not healthy, the Spurs got NO CHANCE. He has 5 days to rest.

Let's see what happens.

Nikeman
06-01-2014, 04:40 AM
Spurs in 5 book it.

What a dumb post. The NBA is a team game, not a 1 vs 1 game at each position.

Nikeman
06-01-2014, 04:53 AM
Lol, this forum is so anti-Miami its ridiculous.

Everyone saying the Spurs in 5-6, lol come on.

Dallas gave them tons and tons of trouble, why? Dirk stretched Timmy/Splitter out to the 3 point line, opening up driving lanes for Monta Ellis and the rest of the Mavs.

Bosh has increased his range, played incredibly well the last 2/3 games against Indy increasing his confidence for the Finals, and finally, the regular season scored 24 points against the Spurs in both games. Bosh will stretch Timmy/Splitter out to the 3 point line, and make easy driving lanes for LeBron/Wade.

Secondly, to people saying Kawahi will shut LeBron James down, please, nobody on this planet can shut LeBron James down. Finally, if anyone has watched Wade this post-season, he has looked incredibly fresh and healthy. Wade was guarded by Lance Stephenson/Paul George for much of the Pacers series and averaged 20+ points shooting over 55% from the field. You are telling me Manu and Danny Green can guard a healthy Wade? If Wade plays like he did against Indy, this series is over.

Finally, with Tony Parker not 100%, that puts the Spurs in a dangerous situation, as he is the main creator on this offense. Everybody on the Spurs team outside Tim Duncan and Ginobli needs Tony Parker to create their shots. After a solid games 1-2, he had a very sub-par series.

It will be a good series, but Heat in 6

Iron24th
06-01-2014, 05:15 AM
Spurs in 6

Miami will meet his first real opponent of the playoffs while SA already faced competition, a 7 games series wil be too short for the heat to adjust.

Teeboy1487
06-01-2014, 05:17 AM
Heat in 5-6. Parker's injury will be their undoing.

Iron24th
06-01-2014, 05:18 AM

Dallas gave them tons and tons of trouble, why? Dirk stretched Timmy/Splitter out to the 3 point line, opening up driving lanes for Monta Ellis and the rest of the Mavs.

Bosh has increased his range, played incredibly well the last 2/3 games against Indy increasing his confidence for the Finals, and finally, the regular season scored 24 points against the Spurs in both games. Bosh will stretch Timmy/Splitter out to the 3 point line, and make easy driving lanes for LeBron/Wade.

Secondly, to people saying Kawahi will shut LeBron James down, please, nobody on this planet can shut LeBron James down. Finally, if anyone has watched Wade this post-season, he has looked incredibly fresh and healthy. Wade was guarded by Lance Stephenson/Paul George for much of the Pacers series and averaged 20+ points shooting over 55% from the field. You are telling me Manu and Danny Green can guard a healthy Wade? If Wade plays like he did against Indy, this series is over.

Finally, with Tony Parker not 100%, that puts the Spurs in a dangerous situation, as he is the main creator on this offense. Everybody on the Spurs team outside Tim Duncan and Ginobli needs Tony Parker to create their shots. After a solid games 1-2, he had a very sub-par series.

Yeah it's obvious, last year it took a unprecedent choke from SA and HCA for miami to win it all, SA has improved and have HCA, it's obvious you're right.

sammyvine
06-01-2014, 05:18 AM

lol your criticising anti heat fans but you are just as bad rubbing yourself in your miami heat blanket lol

THE MTL
06-01-2014, 05:22 AM
Spurs are at least the same (if not better) than last year's team, while the Heat are clearly worse than last year. However, the extent of Parker's injury is a huge factor. They are evenly matched and I expect a great series.

5ass
06-01-2014, 05:24 AM
Heat in 6.

IKnowHoops
06-01-2014, 06:09 AM
A lot of people picking the Spurs, so when the Heat blow the Spurs off the court, and it becomes evident that Miami is to much for them, show respect instead of making excuses, and hating. I know that is asking a lot.

IKnowHoops
06-01-2014, 06:17 AM
Spurs are at least the same (if not better) than last year's team, while the Heat are clearly worse than last year. However, the extent of Parker's injury is a huge factor. They are evenly matched and I expect a great series.

Heat are clearly worse? Wade is healthy, Bosh is playing good, Rashard Lewis has stepped up his game big time, Bron's overall leadership and confidence are at an all-time high, the mowed through the east with ease. Your in for a rude awakening.

vics
06-01-2014, 08:02 AM
Spurs in 5 book it.

Really? Why is it that most Heat haters says that the Heat team had the most talent ever assembled in history? and now your saying that the Heat had the edge at SF only. I'm not disagreeing with you, i'm just confused to who would I believe..

goingfor28
06-01-2014, 08:25 AM
Yeah it's obvious, last year it took a unprecedent choke from SA and HCA for miami to win it all, SA has improved and have HCA, it's obvious you're right.

:hi5:

goingfor28
06-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Heat are clearly worse? Wade is healthy, Bosh is playing good, Rashard Lewis has stepped up his game big time, Bron's overall leadership and confidence are at an all-time high, the mowed through the east with ease. Your in for a rude awakening.

A team full of myself and 11 coworkers could have mowed through the east.

archdevil84
06-01-2014, 09:11 AM
think its either gonna be spurs in 7 or heat in 6. one of those

Shortys4711
06-01-2014, 09:28 AM
Hopefully something happens and neither of them win. This Sucks, Spurs and heat gee so awesome to see the same teams each year.

Jarvo
06-01-2014, 09:30 AM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8T4ZUK-NFKc

Tim Duncan never forgot this and neither will me and other Spurs fan, I have The Spurs in 6 and all the mental mistakes & missed freethrows will be erased!

I just need to know how Parker ankle is because we NEED him.

ATX
06-01-2014, 09:53 AM
Hopefully something happens and neither of them win. This Sucks, Spurs and heat gee so awesome to see the same teams each year.

Ya, the clearly two best teams in the NBA are in the Finals again for an epic rematch. That sucks! Who would want to see the best teams compete for the Championship? Would you have rather have seen the Wizards and the Trailblazers?

Shortys4711
06-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Yeah probably.

Chrisclover
06-01-2014, 10:33 AM
Heat in 7.

Sly Guy
06-01-2014, 10:45 AM
I'm going with San Antonio. They want it more.

I agree. I think this finals will come down to just that, and the San An guys I think are simply hungrier

smith&wesson
06-01-2014, 11:04 AM
heat win in 5 or 6

Bring The Heat
06-01-2014, 11:27 AM
People complaining that the Heat have the most stacked team in NBA history and it's so unfair but yet majority of people predicting Spurs to win the series... Lol I love how people contradict themselves.

ManRam
06-01-2014, 11:39 AM
All advanced stats have their flaws. Its just whether you understand them and are willing to live with them. That's why I actually prefer the recent name change to "advanced metrics", because they aren't actually traditional "statistics".

DRtg doesn't account for "free" FT possessions given by technical fouls, nor does it account for a blocked shot or pass knocked out of bounds if it stays with the same team. That's not actually counted as a possession even though it definitely says something about a teams defense to block shots, or deflect passes and make a team basically restart its offense. Also doesn't account for a defense that wears down another team by slowing them down with stingy defense. That is an intangible factor that is a major key to some team's defense that isn't accounted for in this stat.

OK. But you can't deny that DRtg is more telling than points per game and that eFG/TS are better than FG%, right? That's all I'm getting at.

FlashBolt
06-01-2014, 11:45 AM
People complaining that the Heat have the most stacked team in NBA history and it's so unfair but yet majority of people predicting Spurs to win the series... Lol I love how people contradict themselves.

I know. I must have counted at least 20 people saying Spurs.. yet those 20 people will come back here a month later and say that Miami's ring doesn't count.

NYJ - NYY
06-01-2014, 11:47 AM
This just shows...wow. Spurs had to go through the -Mavs, who even though a flawed and 8th seed, were a TOUGH team. Then Portland, who is an energetic young team that has potential. Then went up against a supposed title contender in the Thunder.

In comparison, the Heat have had to go up against:

Charlotte - up and coming team, but its lucky to even be in the playoffs
Brooklyn - a super old team that go that 6 seed because of how bad the east is. Extremely flawed team.
Indiana - a team that's been broken since February and had a lot of divisions within itself...and they're good defensively but not really a contender because of lacking offense.

The best of those teams....

OKC
Portland
Dallas
Indy
Brooklyn
Charlotte

Miami took the road that was so easy.

Miami "took" the easy rode? They don't make their schedule nor pick who they play. I'm Knicks fan but come myself defending the heat because so many peoples opinions are so out there. They beat the teams out infront of them they can't change who they play. They didn't take the "easy" rose they took the ONLY road available regardless of toughness of schedule.

Learn to appreciate lebron and the heats accomplishments. I don't like lebron on a personal level, think he makes some dumb PR moves in which he looks like an ***.. But my mans game is 2nd to one and may finish as the top. Appreciate it and realize this is a once in a generation time in the game.

Enjoy it!
Let's go knicks!!!

beasted86
06-01-2014, 12:11 PM
OK. But you can't deny that DRtg is more telling than points per game and that eFG/TS are better than FG%, right? That's all I'm getting at.
More telling? Better? I would disagree completely.

No singular stat or advanced metric tells anything without looking at other stats.

If I'm looking only at PPG, that tells me absolutely nothing without looking at a plethora of other stats such as FGA, FG%, TOV/g, FTA, etc. If I'm looking at TS% it means crap without usage, assisted rate, etc. There is no singular box stat or box metric that tells me anything really other than wins and losses. Those are the only singular stats I feel any confidence relying on by itself to say anything. If "X" team has a better record than another team or won or lost the game, that's the only absolute stat. Everything else needs context of multiple other stats.

MonroeFAN
06-01-2014, 12:14 PM
I'll go heat in 5 or 6.

astros1981
06-01-2014, 12:32 PM
SA showed last night they can still compete without Parker's presence. The rotation they have makes this team deeper than last year. Mills, Splitter and Leonard have all improved since last year and Diaw is doing a good job coming off the bench.

Beating OKC in 6 was really impressive. RW and KD were relentless going to the basket, but that's basically all OKC had; a 1-2 punch. Miami has a big 3 and Allen, Chalmers, Battier, and Anderson who contribute. Miami is going to give SA more trouble than OKC did.

This series will go 7 and I believe HCA will be key in SA winning.

DemarDerozan
06-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Shows how much you know about basketball? How is Manu at the same level as Wade and Ray Allen? Danny Green too? Please. Heat have an edge at the 5. Bosh > Splitter. Sounds like a misinformed NBA fan or a troll.

IMO during these playoffs Manu/Green production has been equal to or better than Wade/Allen.
Oh and mark my words. Tiago will make Bosh his ***** in this series.

I'm a troll because I have an opinion on the NBA Finals in the NBA forum?
Sounds like someone is an insecure cHeat fan or just a Dick.

beasted86
06-01-2014, 12:36 PM
Gee, would sure be nice if another team was good enough to knock them out of the playoffs and go themselves, instead of... you know... losing.

FlashBolt
06-01-2014, 12:40 PM
People must have forgotten that Miami is a much better team than OKC and they play a much similar style of play except Miami has a better bench and well, Heat players have much better composure than OKC as far as I can tell. They don't force anything and though, Spurs are a great team, this will be competitive.

cheetos185
06-01-2014, 12:41 PM
If TP can last 7 games than spurs will win.

JEDean89
06-01-2014, 01:22 PM

i don't think anyone has ever said the heat are the most stacked team in history. considering jordan>lebron, scottie is > wade and rodman was better than bosh and they won 3 chips in a row and 70 games one year and 72 games the next, they were clearly a far superior team to this 56 win miami team. heat are just the most stacked team in relevance to their conference that we've seen in some time. I mean Derrick Rose went down, Amare Stoudemire wen't down. Dwight got traded to the west out of their division. thats 3 of the 2011 East Allstar team starters just disappearing as a problem. imo, the spurs getting out of the west 2 years in a row is a great accomplsihment then the Heat getting out of the East 4 years in a row. Heat fans will be furious to read that but imo, which are backed up by some statistics about who the heat have played in EC playoffs.

DaBear
06-01-2014, 01:35 PM
Spurs in 4

lamzoka
06-01-2014, 01:41 PM
Spurs in 6

Spurs wins game 1, 2, 5 and 6

Spurs will win it in Miami

ManRam
06-01-2014, 01:51 PM

No singular stat or advanced metric tells anything without looking at other stats.

If I'm looking only at PPG, that tells me absolutely nothing without looking at a plethora of other stats such as FGA, FG%, TOV/g, FTA, etc. If I'm looking at TS% it means crap without usage, assisted rate, etc. There is no singular box stat or box metric that tells me anything really other than wins and losses. Those are the only singular stats I feel any confidence relying on by itself to say anything. If "X" team has a better record than another team or won or lost the game, that's the only absolute stat. Everything else needs context of multiple other stats.

I'm not saying "any singular stat or advanced metric tells everything without looking at other stats"...

I'm saying, if you were to pick one metric to determine defensive play, you're an idiot to take PPG over DRtg, or FG% over eFG%. That's all. They are BETTER stats. Not stats that stand on their own, but better. Period.

I think the vast difference between DRtg from this year to last, and opponent eFG% from this year to last, especially when factoring in the level of competition makes it pretty clear it hasn't been better and aside from "eye test!!!" I haven't been told of why I'm wrong. This argument is just semantics, too.

IKnowHoops
06-01-2014, 02:03 PM
I know. I must have counted at least 20 people saying Spurs.. yet those 20 people will come back here a month later and say that Miami's ring doesn't count.

This, but it will be more like 90% of them.

SPURSFAN1
06-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Spurs in 5.

kdspurman
06-01-2014, 02:09 PM
I have no clue who wins. I think SA is obviously on a mission, but at the end of the day you have to go out there and execute. I'm curious to see what strategy they use on Lebron. Do they go a similar route to how they ended OKC and put Green on him and try and have Leonard slow Wade? Or do they do what they did last year and give Lebron space and dare him to shoot the mid-range shot? They've got 4 days to prepare. It will be interesting to see what changes both teams make this time around

Baller1
06-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Miami in 4 or 5.

LAKobeBryant
06-01-2014, 02:16 PM
imagine if kawhi gets finals MVP lol

SPURSFAN1
06-01-2014, 02:24 PM
imagine if kawhi gets finals MVP lol

If he averages 20 and 10 and 3 steals in the playoffs and the spurs win. its possible. That's probably 5 more points than his averages.

ManningToTyree
06-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Could go either way. I'm not betting against the heat so I'll take them in 6. If it goes 7 SA won't lose it at home. It's gonna be fun!

KnicksorBust
06-01-2014, 02:46 PM
At the beginning of the year I did not think the Spurs could rev up the engines and make it through that minefield of a conference. I liked the Warriors(damn bogut) and Clippers. At this point anything could happen but I am sticking with my preseason prediction of Heat.

JLynn943
06-01-2014, 02:53 PM
I think it will go to the Spurs, but it could go either way. Series will go to at least 6.

Bruno
06-01-2014, 02:56 PM
Spurs in seven.

SanAntonioSpurs23
06-01-2014, 03:18 PM
The Heat not having Mike Milker this year is big, let's see if Lewis can step in and continue to play well.

My main concern is the real MVP of the Heat Ray Allen. Dude is a straight up Spur killer.

I really don't know who wins this series. Hopefully Manu takes off the Heat jersey this year and plays for SA.

Spurs in 6

FOXHOUND
06-01-2014, 03:24 PM

That's where you're wrong, though. Defensive Rating is the one stat that does tell you. It's the accumulative result of all of those factors defensively, and the same for offense. Yes, it does actually account for scenarios where a player blocks a shot out of bounds or deflects a pass out of bounds. Those plays don't end a possession as the offensive team still has the ball. If a team plays great D for 20 seconds, deflects a pass out of bounds with 2 seconds left and the offensive team finds a way to inbound and score with 2 seconds then guess what? The defense ultimately failed.

Defensive Rating is very simple, it's a good and useful stat that tells a simple fact. They're only a problem when people try to make it a bigger stat with more "advanced metrics". It accounts for all intangibles, broken plays, etc. In the end it answers a simple question, did the defense stop the offense from scoring on this possession? That question and answer for every possession in every game with one simple number.

WadeKobe
06-01-2014, 03:24 PM
The irrational hate and subsequent irrational and contradictory opinions about the Heat really is out of control. Such absurdity doesn. Exist in any other sport. Why the NBA?

"The Heat are too stacked so that hurts Lebron's legacy"
"The 90s Bulls were better and would beat them"
"The Spurs will win".

People literally believe all 3 of these. But those 3 cannot be true all at once.

Anyways, as a Lifelong heat fan I am going with the best team in the NBA, and sticking with my preseason pick:

Spurs in 6

They were the best team in the NBA last year, they should have won, we caught a lucky break and then went back home. They are the best team again this year. I don't think we will catch a lucky break this year.

FlashBolt
06-01-2014, 03:26 PM
Let's stop the comparisons of both teams compared to last year with this year. It's completely different. Wade wasn't healthy, Norris Cole was a much different player, James is a more composed player, Bosh is showing some improvement and looks to be on the productive end, and the fact that Chris Andersen will give Heat some much needed rebounding and easy baskets. Don't get me wrong, Spurs have gotten better but a healthy Wade makes a HUGE difference.

FOXHOUND
06-01-2014, 03:28 PM
I'm leaning Spurs but it ultimately will be dependent on Parker's health. San Antonio is better this year and Miami is worse this year, plus San Antonio has HCA. Miami isn't 12 wins worse than last year as the regular season numbers say, since obviously Wade resting so many games had a big impact on that. At the same time their playoff numbers compared to last year, mainly defensively as shown and vs such poor offensive teams, is a true factor.

It should go 6 or 7 games though, anything less would be a surprise no matter who wins.

FOXHOUND
06-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Let's stop the comparisons of both teams compared to last year with this year. It's completely different. Wade wasn't healthy, Norris Cole was a much different player, James is a more composed player, Bosh is showing some improvement and looks to be on the productive end, and the fact that Chris Andersen will give Heat some much needed rebounding and easy baskets. Don't get me wrong, Spurs have gotten better but a healthy Wade makes a HUGE difference.

This is true, but LeBron also did have the worst playoff game of his career just two games ago. I don't think he's quite as good as last year throughout this entire season, but yeah he is more experienced and composed as a result. Both teams are full of vet savvy players with championship winning experience, which is why we should all expect another series as great as last years.

todu82
06-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Spurs in 6, at the end of the final game Pops and Duncan announce their retirements.

FlashBolt
06-01-2014, 03:42 PM
This is true, but LeBron also did have the worst playoff game of his career just two games ago. I don't think he's quite as good as last year throughout this entire season, but yeah he is more experienced and composed as a result. Both teams are full of vet savvy players with championship winning experience, which is why we should all expect another series as great as last years.

Was it really fair to label that as LeBron's worst playoff game? Some very questionable calls and though he did shoot bad, he wasn't in a rhythm because he sat out for so long. You can't really consider that a bad game when he never had a chance to insert himself into it.

Romo2Bryant
06-01-2014, 04:13 PM
Did everyone forget how well Danny Green and Gary Neal shot from the three-point last series? Is Green really going to play that well again? I'm sure Green will still get some open looks this series, but the Heat should be more prepared this season. I mean since everyone want's to compare this series to last season, then fine.

Miami Heat, beat the Pacers last season in game 7 (June 3rd), then they had to face the Spurs on June 6th, while they just swept the Grizzlies in the WCF. The Spurs were fresh and prepared for Miami. Wade desperately needed more than two days off to face the Spurs; after the tough series against the Pacers. Now, Wade is MUCH healthier this season. Additionally, Chris Anderson didn't had a defining role last season and is in much better shape this season. Guys like Bosh, Cole, Lewis, Allen are stepping up. I understand Mike Miller is no longer a Heat, but the Spurs don't have Neal who was shooting lights out.

San Antonio Spurs, obviously want revenge against the Heat. Ginoboli is playing much better this postseason compared to last season. Furthermore, the Spurs also have guys who are playing well off the bench (Mills, Diaw). I mean I would say they improved from last season, but it's not like their significantly better from last season.

With that being said, only thing the Heat been hearing is how the Spurs felt like they should have won. Well last time I checked you play 48 mins, Spurs. The Spurs want revenge, but the Heat are fighting for a 3-peat. Both are excellent teams and I have Heat winning in 6.

Romo2Bryant
06-01-2014, 04:31 PM
And I like how everyone was talking about how the Nets defeated the Heat 4 times in the regular season. And how they were going to be a tough match-up. Then once the Heat defeated them in 5 games, everyone is saying how Heat road to the finals is so easy. Take a look at Heat record against western conference teams, people always trying to make excuses.

FlashBolt
06-01-2014, 04:33 PM
Did everyone forget how well Danny Green and Gary Neal shot from the three-point last series? Is Green really going to play that well again? I'm sure Green will still get some open looks this series, but the Heat should be more prepared this season. I mean since everyone want's to compare this series to last season, then fine.

Miami Heat, beat the Pacers last season in game 7 (June 3rd), then they had to face the Spurs on June 6th, while they just swept the Grizzlies in the WCF. The Spurs were fresh and prepared for Miami. Wade desperately needed more than two days off to face the Spurs; after the tough series against the Pacers. Now, Wade is MUCH healthier this season. Additionally, Chris Anderson didn't had a defining role last season and is in much better shape this season. Guys like Bosh, Cole, Lewis, Allen are stepping up. I understand Mike Miller is no longer a Heat, but the Spurs don't have Neal who was shooting lights out.

San Antonio Spurs, obviously want revenge against the Heat. Ginoboli is playing much better this postseason compared to last season. Furthermore, the Spurs also have guys who are playing well off the bench (Mills, Diaw). I mean I would say they improved from last season, but it's not like their significantly better from last season.

With that being said, only thing the Heat been hearing is how the Spurs felt like they should have won. Well last time I checked you play 48 mins, Spurs. The Spurs want revenge, but the Heat are fighting for a 3-peat. Both are excellent teams and I have Heat winning in 6.

And I like how everyone was talking about how the Nets defeated the Heat 4 times in the regular season. And how they were going to be a tough match-up. Then once the Heat defeated them in 5 games, everyone is saying how Heat road to the finals is so easy. Take a look at Heat record against western conference teams, people always trying to make excuses.

None of this can be argued against.

IversonIsKrazy
06-01-2014, 04:37 PM
Assuming everyone is healthy, I got Spurs winning in 6. Spurs are slightly better than last year, and I'd say Heat are same as last year. Wade will be better, but imo Ginobili will be a lot better. Manu's improvement from last year is a lot more than Wade's improvement. Spurs just have more to fight for, the way this year has played out (Thunder in WCF, HEat in FInals) it has Redemption year written all over it.

P&GRealist
06-01-2014, 04:38 PM
Spurs in 6, at the end of the final game Pops and Duncan announce their retirements.

Duncan has a player option for 2014-15. Parker and Ginobili also expire at the end of 2014-2015. Next yr will be the last yr for the big 3 Spurs. I expect both Duncan and Ginobili to retire. Pop said he was going to retire with Timmy, but I don't think so. Now with the emergency of Kawhi, I think Pop stays on board as they rebuild that team without Timmy and Manu.

I think the Spurs resign TP to 5 yrs (he's still has a good 6-7 yrs left in this league). Kawhi has a qualifying offer in the summer of 2015, but I think the Spurs ignore that and resign him to big $$$ to keep him in San Antonio for years.

Basically, next season is the LAST season of the Pop and Big 3 era.

FOXHOUND
06-01-2014, 04:38 PM
Was it really fair to label that as LeBron's worst playoff game? Some very questionable calls and though he did shoot bad, he wasn't in a rhythm because he sat out for so long. You can't really consider that a bad game when he never had a chance to insert himself into it.

I think it's fair, he had career low's in many categories including minutes playing just 23. He also struggled throughout that series at times, like the game where he didn't score a point over a 20 minute stretch (game 1?), and he had that other game where he had just 10 points entering the 4th before having a big quarter. Overall he finished averaging 22 PPG on 55%, so he obviously wasn't BAD, just not quite as great as he was last year. He has still been killing it, I think he'll be alright.

P&GRealist
06-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Assuming everyone is healthy, I got Spurs winning in 6. Spurs are slightly better than last year, and I'd say Heat are same as last year. Wade will be better, but imo Ginobili will be a lot better. Manu's improvement from last year is a lot more than Wade's improvement. Spurs just have more to fight for, the way this year has played out (Thunder in WCF, HEat in FInals) it has Redemption year written all over it.

Yeah, that's the theme I've been rolling with for the Spurs as well. Agree!

WOwolfOL
06-01-2014, 04:42 PM
Heat in 5. The Spurs win their first home game and that's it.

FOXHOUND
06-01-2014, 04:50 PM

While Green may not have what was pretty much the best 3 point shooting series of all time again there's a pretty high chance that he and the Spurs will be lighting up the Heat from 3 again. This postseason Miami has allowed .381 from 3, placing 13/16, while allowing teams to take .296 of their FGs from 3, placing 11/16. The Spurs offense has shot .392 from 3 this postseason, 2/16, and are taking .252 of their FGA from 3, just 13/16. Between the fact that Miami's D struggled to defend the 3 against such poor offenses in CHA and IND I think you can expect for the Spurs not only to take more 3's in this series than they have been but for that sky high .392 rate to at worst stay the same.

On the flip side of the 3 point discussion you have Miami, who have been the best 3 point shooting team this postseason. They have been the most efficient (.395) and have also taken the second highest volume at .326 of their FGAs, almost a third of their total shots. The 3 point shot is a much bigger factor for Miami this year, their offense has heavily relied on it. The problem for them is that the Spurs are great at defending the 3 as well. They allow teams to shoot just .336 from 3, 4/16 this postseason, but also do a great job of denying 3 point shots. They allowed just .254 of opponents FGAs from 3, 6/16 this postseason.

The 3 point factor is going to play a big part in this series, at San Antonio will have a big edge there.

IndiansFan337
06-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Spurs, but I thought they'd win it all the past two years too, so what do I know?

AddiX
06-01-2014, 05:33 PM
If Mia is attacking the rim the way they did vs Indy I don't see how Spurs can keep up with that, especially with a hobbled Parker.

PhillyFaninLA
06-01-2014, 06:11 PM
The Champs are the Champs until someone beats them

I don't see why this won't be a three beat

goingfor28
06-01-2014, 06:26 PM
Ya, the clearly two best teams in the NBA are in the Finals again for an epic rematch. That sucks! Who would want to see the best teams compete for the Championship? Would you have rather have seen the Wizards and the Trailblazers?

Miami is not 2nd best. They had the 5th best record. They just happen to play in the talentless conference, where the 1 seed fell off a cliff 3 months ago

GiantsSwaGG
06-01-2014, 06:28 PM
Heat

beasted86
06-01-2014, 06:33 PM
I'm not saying "any singular stat or advanced metric tells everything without looking at other stats"...

I'm saying, if you were to pick one metric to determine defensive play, you're an idiot to take PPG over DRtg, or FG% over eFG%. That's all. They are BETTER stats. Not stats that stand on their own, but better. Period.

I think the vast difference between DRtg from this year to last, and opponent eFG% from this year to last, especially when factoring in the level of competition makes it pretty clear it hasn't been better and aside from "eye test!!!" I haven't been told of why I'm wrong. This argument is just semantics, too.

No it's not any better to me. They are both useless alone. I can make some broad assumptions based on a low opponent PPG, just like broad assumptions on DRtg, but not knowing any other stats or anything about either team, I dont feel any safer saying one team is better than another at defense looking only at either.

mzgrizz
06-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Spurs in 7 because of the 2-2-1-1-1 lineup
One more year in the southwest division for the Grizz to have that spectacular 3 to face because I don't see TD extending as a player past next season. Too often he looked too troubled with his legs. Amazing player. Manu likewise most likely is done after next year. TP should have another 3-5 years in him if he wants it. I believe Pop stays and recreates the team after 2015.

ATX
06-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Miami is not 2nd best. They had the 5th best record. They just happen to play in the talentless conference, where the 1 seed fell off a cliff 3 months ago

Who cares about the regular season? They are back to back Champions and have reached their 4th straight Finals where they are rematching with a team they beat last season. The Heat's goal was not to have the best record, but to be rested and have a healthy Wade come time for the Finals. They are clearly one of the two best teams, and I will not argue such nonsense further.

ManRam
06-01-2014, 06:46 PM
No it's not any better to me. They are both useless alone. I can make some broad assumptions based on a low opponent PPG, just like broad assumptions on DRtg, but not knowing any other stats or anything about either team, I dont feel any safer saying one team is better than another at defense looking only at either.

OK. Are you going to explain to me how the Heat defense has been better these playoffs or just keep saying "one stat alone means nothing?" Come on now...

2014 playoffs

107.7 DRtg
51.9% opponent eFG%
14.1% opponent TOV%
74.7% DRB%
38.1% opponent 3PT%

2013 playoffs
102.9 DRtg
48.0% opponent eFG%
15.6% opponent TOV%
71.1% DRB%
35.3% opponent 3PT%

All against lesser offensive competition. There's no reason to hide from the truth here: the Heat defense just has not been as good. Period.

Hell, you want really dumb stats? They're blocking fewer shots. They're stealing fewer balls.

The Miami Heat have not been playing the same caliber defense as they did last year (or the years before, even). Period. It's OK. They still can win...their offense has been markedly better. That makes up for a lot.

JC_
06-01-2014, 07:41 PM
All against lesser offensive competition. There's no reason to hide from the truth here: the Heat defense just has not been as good. Period.

Hell, you want really dumb stats? They're blocking fewer shots. They're stealing fewer balls.

The Miami Heat have not been playing the same caliber defense as they did last year (or the years before, even). Period. It's OK. They still can win...their offense has been markedly better. That makes up for a lot.

I think a big difference is the lack of quality opponents. Indiana might be the only team that they had to knuckle down against and the Heat pretty much beat them 4-1.

Shortys4711
06-01-2014, 08:19 PM
Gee, would sure be nice if another team was good enough to knock them out of the playoffs and go themselves, instead of... you know... losing.

Yeah I guess your right. But hey would be nice to if you know like other teams could go and get the best player in the game and then add him with another top 5 player at the time and also another top 10 player. Gee must be so rewarding. enjoy the asterisk that everyone will put against the heats last two chips. At least if the Spurs win they will have earned it.

Plat
06-01-2014, 08:28 PM
Spurs got this, don't see them losing back to back Finals...especially against the same team.

Big Zo
06-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Yeah I guess your right. But hey would be nice to if you know like other teams could go and get the best player in the game and then add him with another top 5 player at the time and also another top 10 player. Gee must be so rewarding. enjoy the asterisk that everyone will put against the heats last two chips. At least if the Spurs win they will have earned it.

Do the Phoenix Suns still exist?

FlashBolt
06-01-2014, 08:31 PM

Spurs got this, don't see them losing back to back Finals...especially against the same team.

Good analysis. Very supporting arguments to your fine prediction. You should be an analyst or sports commentator. Maybe TNT has a spot when they replace Shaq.

SPURSFAN1
06-01-2014, 08:36 PM
I change my mind. Spurs in 3.

Shortys4711
06-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Do the Phoenix Suns still exist?

Lol gee thats a good one. :clap:
Very clever guy

Big Zo
06-01-2014, 08:42 PM
Very clever guy

No, i'm serious.

Sssmush
06-01-2014, 08:47 PM
:yawn: Heat. Probably not too difficult.

Sssmush
06-01-2014, 08:48 PM
actually a sweep or the Heat going up 3-0 is not too impossible unless the refs get really really involved in every play.

Sactown
06-01-2014, 08:55 PM
OK. Are you going to explain to me how the Heat defense has been better these playoffs or just keep saying "one stat alone means nothing?" Come on now...

2014 playoffs

107.7 DRtg
51.9% opponent eFG%
14.1% opponent TOV%
74.7% DRB%
38.1% opponent 3PT%

2013 playoffs
102.9 DRtg
48.0% opponent eFG%
15.6% opponent TOV%
71.1% DRB%
35.3% opponent 3PT%

The stats are true to what they are, but flawed in context. They didn't have their best defensive showing in the first 10 games, but they played the bobcats and the nets, and I doubt they viewed these teams as serious competition, so I wouldn't use those stats and say "well I guess SA is going to run loose" I expect a much better defensive effort here..

NBA_Starter
06-01-2014, 09:39 PM
Heat in 6

P&GRealist
06-01-2014, 09:43 PM
I'm still thinking Spurs in 5.

goingfor28
06-01-2014, 09:48 PM
Very clever guy

Suns would have been, without looking it up, a 4 or 5 seed in the east I'm guessing? Yet they missed out west. Man the east is tough

P&GRealist
06-01-2014, 09:50 PM
The Eastern Conference is zee gratest conference there is.

Said no one ever.

Shortys4711
06-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Suns would have been, without looking it up, a 4 or 5 seed in the east I'm guessing? Yet they missed out west. Man the east is tough

Yeah thats it, cant believe the heat managed to get past all that tallent. Teams are stacked in the east.

Bruno
06-01-2014, 09:59 PM
oh yeah. is this the first finals back to 2-2-1-1-1?

goingfor28
06-01-2014, 10:02 PM
Yeah thats it, cant believe the heat managed to get past all that tallent. Teams are stacked in the east.

Tough times

goingfor28
06-01-2014, 10:02 PM
oh yeah. is this the first finals back to 2-2-1-1-1?

Chea homie

beasted86
06-01-2014, 10:03 PM

2014 playoffs

107.7 DRtg
51.9% opponent eFG%
14.1% opponent TOV%
74.7% DRB%
38.1% opponent 3PT%

2013 playoffs
102.9 DRtg
48.0% opponent eFG%
15.6% opponent TOV%
71.1% DRB%
35.3% opponent 3PT%

Where did I ever say the HEAT defense was as good as last year's? I agree with you on that, but not reasoning of the advanced stat "DRtg" being worse.

But I think what the stats don't show is this team has a second and third gear. Bosh came out on Thursday and said "we will play the best game of the season tomorrow night" and that's just what they did against the best defense in the NBA. LeBron in the post game said they did exactly what they had to do, but even still said this "team has another gear, and this is just the first gear".

So I have no doubt if they lock in and focus they are capable of playing that stifling defense as well as continue to be the most efficient offense in the NBA. People enjoy gas bagging about how great the Spurs are offensively, overlooking the fact Miami is even better, and the Spurs are settling for number two.

kobe4thewinbang
06-01-2014, 10:23 PM
A rematch of last yr's finals. The last time the same 2 teams competed in b2b finals were Bulls and Jazz in 97 & 98.

The San Antonio Spurs had the best overall record in the NBA and will have homecourt advantage in the revised 2-2-1-1-1 format (no longer 2-3-2). They are the 2x defending Western conference champions.

The Miami Heat are the 4x defending Eastern Conference champions and 2x defending NBA Champions.

Who wins and in how many games?

Do the Heat 3peat and best the Spurs again? Or do the Spurs win their first title in 7 yrs and redeem themselves against the Heat like they just got their redemption from OKC?

Spurs-Heat II: Game 1 starts Thursday night in San Antonio.Who you got, P&G?

My prediction:

Spurs redeem themselves and win the championship in 5 games
*win game 1 by 10-20 points
*win a close game 2
*win either game 3 or game 4
*win a close game 5 at home

I predict at some point that the Heat will implode or make bad mistakes on the level of SAS's mistakes last time.

Overall, I think it will be a better series than last time. The Spurs look really good right now. Everybody is confident.

But! Tony Parker's health will be the x-factor.

jerellh528
06-01-2014, 11:35 PM
I hope to goodness tony Parker is healthy for this series. Last thing we need is the heat to get by another team with an injured star.

Crunch Time
06-01-2014, 11:36 PM
Miami in 6, but Spurs if it goes to 7.

P&GRealist
06-01-2014, 11:40 PM
Who you got, P&G?

My prediction:

Spurs redeem themselves and win the championship in 5 games
*win game 1 by 10-20 points
*win a close game 2
*win either game 3 or game 4
*win a close game 5 at home

I predict at some point that the Heat will implode or make bad mistakes on the level of SAS's mistakes last time.

Overall, I think it will be a better series than last time. The Spurs look really good right now. Everybody is confident.

But! Tony Parker's health will be the x-factor.

I'm right with you. Spurs in 5, all depending on Tony's health.

And it's not just 5 in the sense of "Oh the Spurs are dominating the Heat". No, not at all.

It's because I don't see the Spurs losing home court and I see this 2-2-1-1-1 benefiting SAS.

P&GRealist
06-01-2014, 11:40 PM
I hope to goodness tony Parker is healthy for this series. Last thing we need is the heat to get by another team with an injured star.

Another injured star, another asterisk. No worries.

cmellofan15
06-01-2014, 11:45 PM
Heat in 6 or 7 as long as Wade and Bosh continue to contribute.

LeBron goes on to win three straight rings leading his team in points, rebounds, and assists.

ManRam
06-01-2014, 11:55 PM
Where did I ever say the HEAT defense was as good as last year's? I agree with you on that, but not reasoning of the advanced stat "DRtg" being worse.

:laugh: Literally all I have been arguing in this thread is that I don't think the Heat's defense is better than last year. That's it...nothing more, nothing less. So if you agreed with that all along, why are you arguing with me? I'm so confused now.

The stats are true to what they are, but flawed in context. They didn't have their best defensive showing in the first 10 games, but they played the bobcats and the nets, and I doubt they viewed these teams as serious competition, so I wouldn't use those stats and say "well I guess SA is going to run loose" I expect a much better defensive effort here..

That excuse sounds like something that could have been used last year early on as well. Regardless, even if they weren't trying (I don't entirely buy that), they have been facing bad offensive teams.

Did they just decide to flip the switch earlier last year? Or what? Why was their defense markedly better early on last year than this year? Look, I buy the ability to buckle down and play your *** off...or "flip that switch". But I don't think that explains the drastic down tick in overall defense this year and into the playoffs. It's an excuse...and certainly one that no one can prove. And even if the excuse is true, it still doesn't negate the fact that they just have not been playing as good of defense.

Good god! I don't even think it's that big of a deal. I'm just stunned it's so controversial. I'm sure the team would be the first to tell you that they have to be better on defense.

amos1er
06-02-2014, 12:12 AM
Spurs got this IMO. They are extremely motivated from last years debacle in game six and they have HCA on their side this time... Not to mention a better and deeper bench. Miami still has flopping and the refs on their side so who really knows though. (Here's hoping for fair calls) :hope: Historically, Lebron has been a poor finals performer and this year he is claiming to be more tired than ever so lets see how that all plays out. Wade is looking about the same as he was last year and so is Allen... Two players I expected to slow down a bit.

Sactown
06-02-2014, 12:51 AM
:laugh: Literally all I have been arguing in this thread is that I don't think the Heat's defense is better than last year. That's it...nothing more, nothing less. So if you agreed with that all along, why are you arguing with me? I'm so confused now.

That excuse sounds like something that could have been used last year early on as well. Regardless, even if they weren't trying (I don't entirely buy that), they have been facing bad offensive teams.

Did they just decide to flip the switch earlier last year? Or what? Why was their defense markedly better early on last year than this year? Look, I buy the ability to buckle down and play your *** off...or "flip that switch". But I don't think that explains the drastic down tick in overall defense this year and into the playoffs. It's an excuse...and certainly one that no one can prove. And even if the excuse is true, it still doesn't negate the fact that they just have not been playing as good of defense.

Good god! I don't even think it's that big of a deal. I'm just stunned it's so controversial. I'm sure the team would be the first to tell you that they have to be better on defense.
I wasn't trying to say that this is the entire reason, but do I think they could buckle down? Absolutely, game one vs Indy they were playing very casually on defense and began to buckle it down starting game two.. Doesn't seem to be the first time either, they tend to lose plenty of game ones in the series, do to a lack luster effort on both ends, I just don't think the statistics are indicative of the type of defense they can play or will play against SAS through the duration of the series

Sactown
06-02-2014, 01:00 AM
Spurs got this IMO. They are extremely motivated from last years debacle in game six and they have HCA on their side this time... Not to mention a better and deeper bench. Miami still has flopping and the refs on their side so who really knows though. (Here's hoping for fair calls) :hope: Historically, Lebron has been a poor finals performer and this year he is claiming to be more tired than ever so lets see how that all plays out. Wade is looking about the same as he was last year and so is Allen... Two players I expected to slow down a bit.

The officiating has been fine... Stop complaining.. Lebron has posted a triple double in almost 25% of his finals games... What a horrible performer... The Heat don't flop any more than any other team... You're bias is so incredible ... You're such a hater that you are missing out on a once in a generation talent because you're so incredibly blinded...

Also your sig is ridiculous... Each player in your signature had a teammate who was equally as pivotal as they were in their success... All playing with multiple hall of famers... So no.... They didn't win it on their own...nobody has and nobody will ... Jordan was 1-10 before Pippen and almost left for New York.. Magic pulled an Eli manning and demanded what team he wanted to play for, and Bird might not have been the most impactful player on his team during their runs and was a statistically worse player in the playoffs when compared to the regular season... Nobody is superman in this league.. Stop demanding it from Lebron when nobody has done what you asked him to do.

Don't call me a Lebron lover either.. I'm a Kings fan, honestly I could care less if he gets another ring, I'd honestly prefer the Heat lose this series so the spurs can show once again how pivotal teamwork is.. Also I would like to see Pop and Duncan retire on top..

Do I like Lebron? Yeah he's an incredible athlete and I enjoy watching him display his skill at the highest level.. And I feel sorry for you, because you're so insecure you're missing it

t_money25
06-02-2014, 01:19 AM
The officiating has been fine... Stop complaining.. Lebron has posted a triple double in almost 25% of his finals games... What a horrible performer... The Heat don't flop any more than any other team... You're bias is so incredible ... You're such a hater that you are missing out on a once in a generation talent because you're so incredibly blinded...

Also your sig is ridiculous... Each player in your signature had a teammate who was equally as pivotal as they were in their success... All playing with multiple hall of famers... So no.... They didn't win it on their own...nobody has and nobody will ... Jordan was 1-10 before Pippen and almost left for New York.. Magic pulled an Eli manning and demanded what team he wanted to play for, and Bird might not have been the most impactful player on his team during their runs and was a statistically worse player in the playoffs when compared to the regular season... Nobody is superman in this league.. Stop demanding it from Lebron when nobody has done what you asked him to do.

Don't call me a Lebron lover either.. I'm a Kings fan, honestly I could care less if he gets another ring, I'd honestly prefer the Heat lose this series so the spurs can show once again how pivotal teamwork is.. Also I would like to see Pop and Duncan retire on top..

Do I like Lebron? Yeah he's an incredible athlete and I enjoy watching him display his skill at the highest level.. And I feel sorry for you, because you're so insecure you're missing it

Greatest post ever.....you're my hero!!!

Raps18-19 Champ
06-02-2014, 01:30 AM
Game 1: Spurs
Game 2: Heat
Game 3: Spurs
Game 4: Heat
Game 5: Heat
Game 6: Spurs
Game 7: Spurs

P&GRealist
06-02-2014, 02:38 AM
Game 1: Spurs
Game 2: Heat
Game 3: Spurs
Game 4: Heat
Game 5: Heat
Game 6: Spurs
Game 7: Spurs

You do know it's back to the 2-2-1-1-1 format.

amos1er
06-02-2014, 04:27 AM

I thought that was for next season.

beasted86
06-02-2014, 07:24 AM
The Eastern Conference is zee gratest conference there is.

Said no one ever.
When did this start? Does anybody know?

This is a phenomenon I've only experienced on the internet on PSD. In real life the people I know are fans of a team or player. Only here I've seen fans of a conference.

PhillyFaninLA
06-02-2014, 08:05 AM
SA showed last night they can still compete without Parker's presence. The rotation they have makes this team deeper than last year. Mills, Splitter and Leonard have all improved since last year and Diaw is doing a good job coming off the bench.

Beating OKC in 6 was really impressive. RW and KD were relentless going to the basket, but that's basically all OKC had; a 1-2 punch. Miami has a big 3 and Allen, Chalmers, Battier, and Anderson who contribute. Miami is going to give SA more trouble than OKC did.

This series will go 7 and I believe HCA will be key in SA winning.

Just an FYI your trolling sig is inaccurate.....The Eagles have a title but not a Superbowl, they are also the only team to beat Lombardi in a championship game...so if your going to troll and bait in your sig, be accurate

dodie53
06-02-2014, 08:18 AM
heat in 6.
3peat FTW

mightybosstone
06-02-2014, 09:03 AM
It's hard to make a prediction on this series. My gut reaction is to say the Heat in 6/7, but I think it depends so much on the play of their stars. With the exception of a single game, Lebron has been otherworldly in this postseason and both Bosh and Wade have stepped up at different moments when it counted. If Wade plays like he did in last year's postseason, I think the Heat lose. If he plays as well as he has at times this postseason, I think the Heat win. Bosh also can't have the complete disappearing acts he's had at times this year, and Allen's 3-point shooting will be key, as always.

therealwd27
06-02-2014, 09:43 AM

One of the best post I've ever read here. Rational, Logical and informative.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-02-2014, 11:24 AM

Wouldn't change my predictions. So many road teams have won this playoffs and these teams are dead even. I don't think the playoffs play that big of a role with such great and composed players.

kdspurman
06-02-2014, 12:39 PM
I sure hope this trend is broken... Obviously I know different teams/times. Sometimes these patterns worry me lol. Then again, after last year, we could be up 3-0 and up 20 in game 4 and I'd still be paranoid as hell. It should be another great series, with high quality basketball again.

Bulls last 3-peat

1996 Sonics
1997Jazz
1998Jazz

Heat
2012 Thunder (formerly Sonics)
2013 Spurs
2014 Spurs

Bring The Heat
06-02-2014, 12:43 PM

One of the greatest post I have read on this message board.. Puts everything into perspective for these people who so blinded by their hate.

Mr. Baller
06-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Just like with the Pacers, the Heat will win in one less game then last year. Heat in 6

Bring The Heat
06-02-2014, 12:45 PM
I'm not going to make any predictions... All I know is that its going to be one hell of a series with two of the best teams in the league... I have tremendous respect for the spurs and admire their fanbase/organization.. It's going to be fun to watch these two go at it! Go Heat!!!

Chronz
06-02-2014, 12:58 PM

lol wat?

so if a team is less efficient offensively but happens to have a higher rate of assisted shots, that would some how negate the efficiency?

Wins and Losses have also proven to be less indicative than efficiency differentials, so pretty much, if you want to stress the opposite of what actual statisticians have to say on these stats, we should follow your line of thinking.

But Im sure you have your reasons, they may have absolutely nothing to do with any sort of quantifiable research but Im sure there has to be something

Stinkyoutsider
06-02-2014, 01:44 PM
I've got to say the Heat in 6 but it's going to be a very close series.

I don't think the Spurs can exploit the Heat's weakness in the paint. Splitter is a decent rebounder and defender but I still see James and Wade getting into the paint. Duncan just isn't as mobile anymore so I can't count on him to contest James and Wade when they get into the paint.

It's going to be interesting when Miami is on defense though because they have a very active defense who rotates well and plays passing lanes. But, the Spurs offense is a well oiled machine IMO. Lots of great execution and ball movement. Heat have to stop Parker from getting into the paint.