PDA

View Full Version : Heat join Magic's Lakers, Bird's Celtics and Russell's Celtics in history

JasonJohnHorn
05-31-2014, 01:36 AM
Before tonight, only two franchises had reached four consecutive finals. The Lakers and the Celtics.

Obviously Russell set the gold standard winning 8 in a row and making 10 straight appearance, winning 9/10.

The Lakers, with Magic and Kareem, came along next and from 82-85 they made the finals every season.

Bird's Celtics over lapped the Lakers, showing up in 84-87.

The Heat have now made their 4th straight finals appearance. Say what you will, that is an amazing accomplishment. Jordan never did this, Kobe never did this, Shaq never did this and Duncan hasn't done it. I think this helps LBJ's legacy more than a little, win or lose.

Kudos to the Heat.

Now, back to cheering for Duncan.

FlashBolt
05-31-2014, 01:40 AM
It seems like nothing right now and it probably won't mean much if they don't seal it off with a ring but only three teams in NBA history has done this. Think about that.

jerellh528
05-31-2014, 01:44 AM
I mean it's impressive, but considering everything and putting it in perspective, ehh. Superstars joining forces to take on the weakest confrence in nba history. It should be a gimme to reach the finals every year for them, and a huge disappointment if they didn't. Seperate wade, bron, and bosh and they each could probably lead a team to the playoffs in the east by themselves. And their spot in history is going to be highly over praised and overrated because everyone will forget the crap confrence. Much like russels celts. But congrats

FlashBolt
05-31-2014, 01:50 AM
I mean it's impressive, but considering everything and putting it in perspective, ehh. Superstars joining forces to take on the weakest confrence in nba history. It should be a gimme to reach the finals every year for them, and a huge disappointment if they didn't. But congrats

"Magic's Lakers, Bird's Celtics, and Russell's Celtics"

Those teams dominated a fairly weak conference with their stacked team as well, don't see you giving them a mention. And since when did joining a team have anything to do with what they just accomplished? It doesn't really matter how they did it. To win 48 playoff games in 4 years against the East is impressive. But, since you probably ignored some facts, let's take a look at it.

2012 vs Pacers
2012 vs Boston
2013 vs Pacers

Three times they could've gone out but they survived. It's not the cake-walk you've been accusing them of.

P&GRealist
05-31-2014, 02:07 AM
Historical?...yes

Impressive?...not even close

But like I've told everyone that hates Miami, there's nothing you can do about what will be written in the history books. It is what it is.

tm95835
05-31-2014, 02:48 AM
How is it not impressive?
They beat out derrick rose the MVP and his bulls in 2011, beat 3 hall of famers and rondo (wait and see) in Boston in 2012, beat the pacers last year who were second in the conference and then again this year after they were the best team in the conference. It hasn't been easy, and to maintain the drive and everything for 4 straight years after injuries, Olympics etc you can't deny it isn't impressive. It's just people don't want to praise who they hate

Hawkeye15
05-31-2014, 05:30 AM
I mean it's impressive, but considering everything and putting it in perspective, ehh. Superstars joining forces to take on the weakest confrence in nba history. It should be a gimme to reach the finals every year for them, and a huge disappointment if they didn't. Seperate wade, bron, and bosh and they each could probably lead a team to the playoffs in the east by themselves. And their spot in history is going to be highly over praised and overrated because everyone will forget the crap confrence. Much like russels celts. But congrats

put the teams together however you like. The other 3 teams mentioned were stacked beyond belief. If it bothers you that Heat needed to take another path to put a team together that can join those, that is your deal.

Hawkeye15
05-31-2014, 05:31 AM
Historical?...yes

Impressive?...not even close

But like I've told everyone that hates Miami, there's nothing you can do about what will be written in the history books. It is what it is.

yep. History will say they won, even if the manner in which they won bothers you.

amos1er
05-31-2014, 06:04 AM

Yup. I agree with everything you have said here. If the Heat were in the west, they would not have made 4 finals in a row. The Thunder or the Spurs could have done the same if they were in the east the past 4 seasons. Really not all that impressive when you put things in perspective. Yes, the history books will not reflect this, but it's up to us fans to make sure this asterisk is added every time some homer tries to throw it in our faces. Essentially, no internet debate will ever be won by anyone claiming the Heat are amongst the elite teams of past based on the fact that they made 4 finals appearances in a row. Any novice fan can easily counter this argument.

t_money25
05-31-2014, 07:39 AM
Yup. I agree with everything you have said here. If the Heat were in the west, they would not have made 4 finals in a row. The Thunder or the Spurs could have done the same if they were in the east the past 4 seasons. Really not all that impressive when you put things in perspective. Yes, the history books will not reflect this, but it's up to us fans to make sure this asterisk is added every time some homer tries to throw it in our faces. Essentially, no internet debate will ever be won by anyone claiming the Heat are amongst the elite teams of past based on the fact that they made 4 finals appearances in a row. Any novice fan can easily counter this argument.

Do you realize during this four year span you've been saying the same nonsense that no one is buying? 4 straight championship game appearances in high school is impressive. But now since the team that you hate more than anything else in this world has done it and somehow now it deserves an asterisk like some kinda tainted baseball record? Where do you get your material from? I really hope you give up on hating the HEAT cause we all know with your track record all this hate is gonna do nothing more than get you banned again........better yet keep it up cause I will admit no one else on PSD is more entertaining with the hating than you.

amos1er
05-31-2014, 07:45 AM
Do you realize during this four year span you've been saying the same nonsense that no one is buying? 4 straight championship game appearances in high school is impressive. But now since the team that you hate more than anything else in this world has done it and somehow now it deserves an asterisk like some kinda tainted baseball record? Where do you get your material from? I really hope you give up on hating the HEAT cause we all know with your track record all this hate is gonna do nothing more than get you banned again........better yet keep it up cause I will admit no one else on PSD is more entertaining with the hating than you.

Yet you don't acknowledge any of the arguments I made. Rather, you attack me personally. Way to make a statement. :rolleyes: What you and your fellow cohorts fail to realize is that I cannot be banned for stating a well thought out argument. My previous ban was for a misleading thread title which I did not fight as there was there was validity to it. Perhaps you should take a refresher course on the TOS of PSD before you go and start lobbying for infractions.

JasonJohnHorn
05-31-2014, 08:36 AM
I do agree with those who say the east is week, and the Celtics and Lakers in the 80's played against some GREAT teams to get to the finals, but let's not say the Heat is stacked and they weren't.

Magic + Kareem + Worthy + Nixon + Byron Scott + AC Green + Michael Cooper... come on.
Bird + McHale + Parish + Dennis Johnson + Walton
Russell + Cousy + Hondo + Jones + Jones + Nelson

I take KareerMagicWorthy or BirdMcHaleParish over LBJWadeBosh

ATX
05-31-2014, 09:31 AM
Is this a thread acknowledging what a historic feat the Heat has accomplished by joining the likes of Bird's Celtics, Magic's Lakers and Russell's Celtics?...Oh wait Amos1er doesn't like it and will only be accompanied by Illuionsist later today when he comes off ban to derail every thread from here on out. We'll have to read the exact same agenda driven nonsense all over again. Four straight Finals appearances is four straight finals appearances and worthy of acknowledgement. It's been 27 years since this feat was last accomplished. They are just mad since Kobe didn't do this. He probably could have, but his selfishness and running Shaq out of town killed that chance because every great team, yet alone historic team is going to be made up of a stacked roster. Just take an unbiased look at Magic's Lakers or Bird's Celtics. Those teams were stacked too. Kobe's Championships were all with stacked rosters as well, but somehow this is okay? But the Heats stacked roster deserves an asterisk? Why...Oh ya because Amos, Illuioner and the rest of the Laker trolls don't like it, so excuse after excuse after excuse. They will never be able to grow up and just give credit where credit is due. To them, now that Miami is winning in the playoffs again, they have a stacked roster! Whaaa! But all season, all we heard from mostly the same trolls was how soft Bosh was, how washed up Wade was, how terrible their bench was, how awful coach Spo was, etcetera. I'm sorry Amos that the Heat don't play in the West, but what are they supposed to do about that except beat the West Champion year after year...or maybe you should check the Heat's record against the West in the big three era. You're asterisk talk is so tired and ridiculous and is only used by sore losers who can't except reality.

HYFR
05-31-2014, 09:34 AM
How can anyone say this isn't impressive ? Smh

justinnum1
05-31-2014, 09:51 AM
I love that people are mad in here.

:dance:

Red_Pill
05-31-2014, 09:53 AM
It's impressive, but not that impressive. I mean, the East is historically bad.

Winning three straight titles is more impressive if they can pull it off.

Just reaching the finals in an extremely weak conference when you have the best player in the league, another top 10 player, another star on top of it, and a solid bench should be a given.

I mean, they did this with Spoelstra as their coach. That should tell you how much talent the team has.

therealwd27
05-31-2014, 10:15 AM

Those teams dominated a fairly weak conference with their stacked team as well, don't see you giving them a mention. And since when did joining a team have anything to do with what they just accomplished? It doesn't really matter how they did it. To win 48 playoff games in 4 years against the East is impressive. But, since you probably ignored some facts, let's take a look at it.

2012 vs Pacers
2012 vs Boston
2013 vs Pacers

Three times they could've gone out but they survived. It's not the cake-walk you've been accusing them of.

This. People are forgetting how stacked those laker and Celtic teams were, and how much talent did they really have to face?? With the teams the Celtics and Lakers had no one could stand up to them. These haters are quick to point out asterisks for the Heat but forget those teams had 3 or 4 top 50 players ever. Stop hating and appreciate something your favorite team did not accomplish

WOwolfOL
05-31-2014, 10:20 AM
Stupid Jordan and retirement

mjm07
05-31-2014, 10:58 AM

/thread

Wade n Fade
05-31-2014, 10:58 AM
Who cares about the competition? This league has more parity than the past anyways. Miami proves it can beat any team in the West because of their win percentage in the regular season. People look to hate on anything these days. Heck, a bunch of bums were hating on Lebron because he passed the ball to Bosh in the corner for a GW attempt in game 5. People are like "he's so afraid of the big moment." No, he's not. He's hit GWing shots and is a high IQ basketball player. He made the right basketball play then and there. People dislike how Miami came together. They came together legally and celebrated early. If I was Cavs fan, I wouldn't b**ch and moan about it. People need to grow up and stop holding grudges against Miami. It's a great accomplishment by the greatest team in the last decade or so. Can't stop us now. Three peat bound.

ManRam
05-31-2014, 11:01 AM
If y'all think this Heat team is "unfairly stacked" or whatever, describe Russell's teams for me. Please.

Teeboy1487
05-31-2014, 11:23 AM
To go to the Finals 4 straight years exceeds impressive. This is something I have never saw in my lifetime of watching sports. I know the East was weak, but the Heat are the only legit team in that conference. They belonged in the Finals and have a great shot of winning yet again.

Kushed
05-31-2014, 11:37 AM

You just mentioned the two teams the Heat have BEATEN in the finals the last two seasons lmao.

Kushed
05-31-2014, 11:39 AM
This. People are forgetting how stacked those laker and Celtic teams were, and how much talent did they really have to face?? With the teams the Celtics and Lakers had no one could stand up to them. These haters are quick to point out asterisks for the Heat but forget those teams had 3 or 4 top 50 players ever. Stop hating and appreciate something your favorite team did not accomplish

But bro just no! It was only bird! It was only Russell! Don't you remember they had to play with high schoolers and took their teams to that many finals? I remember one year bird just played by himself the entire season 1 on 5! Dude is the goat!

Kushed
05-31-2014, 11:40 AM
If y'all think this Heat team is "unfairly stacked" or whatever, describe Russell's teams for me. Please.

Russell's teams were garbage man! There was no such thing as hall of famers on his teams! He played 1 on 5 just like bird! The heat suck! All the other teams who have accomplished this were trash and led by one player!

jmartin80
05-31-2014, 12:27 PM
In the history books, it is very impressive. Watching it as it happens, not really that impressive to me. Maybe it was like that with the other teams too though.

The competition has been very weak and the playoffs in the East have been pretty boring. I think it has not been good for the NBA or the fans. I know many that quit watching.

I know I am looking forward to all these "Heat" fans going back to wherever they were prior to the decision.

koreancabbage
05-31-2014, 12:50 PM
In the history books, it is very impressive. Watching it as it happens, not really that impressive to me. Maybe it was like that with the other teams too though.

The competition has been very weak and the playoffs in the East have been pretty boring. I think it has not been good for the NBA or the fans. I know many that quit watching.

I know I am looking forward to all these "Heat" fans going back to wherever they were prior to the decision.

People get on and off bandwagons all the time. I'm pretty sure the people you know who stopped watching playoff basketball only cheer a specific team because of fandom (aka bandwagoners)- yet you call out bandwagoners of the Heat lol

Any fan that doesn't playoff basketball, regardless of team, is a bandwagon basketball fan. Do you think they would watch if it was the Raptors vs Grizzlies in the finals? heck no as well. So it doesn't matter if it was the Heat or any other small market team - it is what it is.

Bring The Heat
05-31-2014, 12:51 PM
You know people need to make up their minds... At start of the season people were talking about how the Heat were one year older and weren't as good.. This would be the year that we don't make it out of the East.. I remember somebody making a thread saying Brooklyn would be the team to eliminate us. Pacers are stronger than ever and have home court! They just traded for Evan turner and Andrew Bynum they are incredibly stacked and a lock to win the east! The Miami Heat are just going through the motions and it will come back to bite them.. Wade keeps missing games and he's washed up! Now all of sudden we start winning and we are too "stacked" of a team?! Lmao make up your damn minds! We originally at the start of the season up until the playoffs started weren't good enough and now we are way too stacked because we are winning. Somebody is mad.

jmartin80
05-31-2014, 01:00 PM
People get on and off bandwagons all the time. I'm pretty sure the people you know who stopped watching playoff basketball only cheer a specific team because of fandom (aka bandwagoners)- yet you call out bandwagoners of the Heat lol

Any fan that doesn't playoff basketball, regardless of team, is a bandwagon basketball fan. Do you think they would watch if it was the Raptors vs Grizzlies in the finals? heck no as well. So it doesn't matter if it was the Heat or any other small market team - it is what it is.

Some people are fans of one team and only watch them. Once they are eliminated, they stop watching. That is not a bandwagon fan, that is a fan of that team. Others, the ones I am referring to, are fans of the whole NBA. But stopped watching due to boredom and predictability.

You made a wrong assumption.

P&GRealist
05-31-2014, 01:01 PM

It's the tittays man.

Jamiecballer
05-31-2014, 01:04 PM
To go to the Finals 4 straight years exceeds impressive. This is something I have never saw in my lifetime of watching sports. I know the East was weak, but the Heat are the only legit team in that conference. They belonged in the Finals and have a great shot of winning yet again.

If this was a compliment I'd hate to see your insults LOL

Greet
05-31-2014, 01:04 PM
Extremely impressive... Seriously one of the most well put teams we've ever seen. This is great for Lebrons legacy.

J4KOP99
05-31-2014, 01:09 PM
This is so incredibly hard to do. I don't care how weak the east is.

Good for them.

P&GRealist
05-31-2014, 01:11 PM
Who cares about the competition? This league has more parity than the past anyways. Miami proves it can beat any team in the West because of their win percentage in the regular season. People look to hate on anything these days. Heck, a bunch of bums were hating on Lebron because he passed the ball to Bosh in the corner for a GW attempt in game 5. People are like "he's so afraid of the big moment." No, he's not. He's hit GWing shots and is a high IQ basketball player. He made the right basketball play then and there. People dislike how Miami came together. They came together legally and celebrated early. If I was Cavs fan, I wouldn't b**ch and moan about it. People need to grow up and stop holding grudges against Miami. It's a great accomplishment by the greatest team in the last decade or so. Can't stop us now. Three peat bound.

What?

P&GRealist
05-31-2014, 01:13 PM
History says Heat will lose in the finals.

If you count the other 2 teams that went to 4 straight finals, they both went 2-2 in their 4.

FlashBolt
05-31-2014, 01:18 PM
People use double standards on this site so often that it often turns into a laughable post. They say "Heat had the easiest this and that", but throughout the thread, they'll say "How is Miami going to beat Spurs, they are way better than Pacers." When Miami beats Spurs, they'll say "Easiest road to NBA championship, LeBron is a cheater, blah, blah." Much like how Miami needed two threes in 25 seconds and relied on free throw misses from Gino/Leonard and 2 rebounds to win.. All seemed impossible but when it happened, all those haters switched sides and said it was easy. Losers.

Jamiecballer
05-31-2014, 01:30 PM
You just mentioned the two teams the Heat have BEATEN in the finals the last two seasons lmao.

The irony of that will go over his head

Sadds The Gr8
05-31-2014, 01:35 PM
I still hate them and always want them to lose but I thought they'd be more dominant than they've been these past 4 years. obviously u cant complain with 4 straight finals (even tho they lost one), but I thought they'd literally run through the league unlike anything we've ever seen before (especially with how crap the east has been) but it hasn't happened like that.

JEDean89
05-31-2014, 01:39 PM
good, they only have 5 more rings to win before lebron fufills his promise of not 1, not 2, not 3.... the fact is that they played the ****ing bobcats and nets this year before playing the mediocre pacers. i agree that they have dominated the east but they have not dominated the league like we thought they would. if they lose 2/4 finals appearances and lebron goes 2/5 in the finals, that will say more about him than making it 4 years in a row in a weak east. I understand the Celts and Lakes were in similar in the west. imo right now it is more impressive to beat the west 2 years in a row than to beat the east 4 years in a row.

JEDean89
05-31-2014, 01:40 PM
again, russell 9/10 mj 6/6, kobe 5/7, duncan 4/5, lebron.... 2/4.

HuRRiCaNeS324
05-31-2014, 01:41 PM
Philly
Celtics
Bulls

Knicks
Pacers
Celtics

Bucks
Bulls
Pacers

Bobcats/Hornets
Nets
Pacers

I feel like i need to remind everyone that the 4 EC championships in a row aren't as easy as everyone is making it out to be.

The first two years of that run was anything but easy. In 2011 we had to face the defending EC champions in the second round who play their best against the HEAT. The Doc Rivers' Celtics played the hardest and the best versus the HEAT and that series win was a huge accomplishment. Then in the ECF we had to play the best Bulls team in more than a decade.

In 2012 we had the hardest road to the championship. In the first round we faced a pretty good team lead by Melo. Then in the 2nd round we faced the team that would end up going to the next two ECF. Even back then the Pacers gave us huge fits. Paul George, Roy Hibbert, Danny Granger, David West, Darren Collison and the rest lost in 6 games, but there was a time in that series where we faced a must win down 2-1. Not to mention we had to do it without Bosh... The Celtics ended up forcing a game 7 against us and we were actually down 3-2 heading to TD Garden with a real chance to lose.

Last year, playing the Bulls is always tough for us no matter who they have. The force us to play our best because anything less we will lose. And that's what happened game 1. I'm sure everyone remembers last year's ECF, it was ridiculously tough.

This year.....i have nothing to say. We basically coasted to the Finals with our hardest series coming in the 2nd round imo. However, it shouldn't be an indictment on the HEAT for keeping their focus and remaining healthy. From the beginning of the season we knew this season was all about staying healthy. Like Lebron said, as long as we were healthy it didn't matter what seed we were.

Lakers + Giants
05-31-2014, 01:47 PM
It's impressive, no matter what way you look at it. 4 straight finals, period.

Bring The Heat
05-31-2014, 01:47 PM
Lmfao! Dude this is exactly what I have been saying forever.. They keep contradicting themselves! One minute they are saying we aren't that good but when we win we are way too unfairly "stacked"

ManRam
05-31-2014, 01:55 PM

Just out of curiosity, is LeBron getting to and losing in the Finals in 2007 really something you perceive as a negative?

therealwd27
05-31-2014, 01:56 PM
But bro just no! It was only bird! It was only Russell! Don't you remember they had to play with high schoolers and took their teams to that many finals? I remember one year bird just played by himself the entire season 1 on 5! Dude is the goat!

This. Smh the level of competence some of these people show bro smh glad your intelligent enough to realize

mngopher35
05-31-2014, 02:10 PM

great, so Lebron has made the finals now for the 5th time getting closer to their appearance #'s. If you think that making the finals but losing is bad then what do you consider losing in the first round? Lebron and Russell are the only two from that list that haven't lost in the first round...

I don't think that means a ton either but to act like losing in the finals is a negative seems pretty ridiculous, especially for 2007. 2011 sure that one is on him but they had no chance vs. the Spurs and it took a fantastic Lebron performance to even get there.

FlashBolt
05-31-2014, 02:23 PM
Only in a LeBron hater's mind is getting to the Finals and not winning a bad thing.. The fact that he even got to the Finals with that crappy Cleveland roster was impressive. 2011 was LeBron's fault and only argument against him but how many players out there can say they made it to 5 NBA finals and people perceive it as a negative accomplishment? Some players never even make it to 1 NBA finals and yet, they never get this sort of ambush. Bunch of haters with no logic to their argument. BTW, Jordan didn't get out of the first round for 6 years.. Let's celebrate that instead. Imagine if James never got out of the first round for 6 years.. The level of scrutiny would be blowing up year after year. Instead, the only excuse we have for Jordan is "He played against Bad Boy Pistons, he got a boo-boo." Well, where's that "killer instinct" of yours, Jordan?

JEDean89
05-31-2014, 02:27 PM
yep but rings and appearances are everything on here i thought.... it's more my point that if he loses this year he will be 2/5, that will be diminish him making 4 straight finals appearances. jordan didn't lose in his prime except the year he went against shaq after only playing a small portion of the season. 2/4 certainly isn't as impressive as 9/10 or 6/6, kobe, russell, duncan all got to the finals early in their careers too, though they definitely had better teams than lebron.

funny when the heat win chips, it's all about lebron but they are quick to point out that this is a team game when the argument goes against them. they want it both ways. Yes Lebron is greatness, no he is not GOAT material, no he is not doing something legendary by winning the east 4 years in a row. the 76ers, that years pacers, the next years knicks, then the bucks, the old *** celtics, this years bobcats and the nets are all garbage teams that wouldn't have been in the playoffs in the west. this is a team game imo, the heat are unbelievably stacked in the east, though not historically.

I think 4 finals appearances means more that you have set up a dynasty in a conference. It seams that you need a team stacked with HOFers (4 on the heat right now), in a pretty weak conference. The Heat fit both criteria and if they played in a conference like the West, they wouldn't have done it. In the end, finals appearances don't = rings.

championships
05-31-2014, 02:32 PM
Heat suck. **** them

JEDean89
05-31-2014, 02:34 PM
. The fact that he even got to the Finals with that crappy Cleveland roster was impressive. 2011 was LeBron's fault and only argument against him but how many players out there can say they made it to 5 NBA finals and people perceive it as a negative accomplishment? Some players never even make it to 1 NBA finals and yet, they never get this sort of ambush. Bunch of haters with no logic to their argument.

yah but logic would serve that we are not comparing players who have never been to the finals to players who have been 5+ times. we are comparing greatness here and among his peers, he has lost in the finals more than others, it will especially so if he loses this year. yes that cleveland team was an overachieving team against a monster spurs team you go to great lengths to explain that only to then put the 2011 as an asterisk. he has to win this year if his all time greatness is to be fully proved. 2/5 in the finals is not all time greatness. I don't think the heat have had a competitive 1st round series in the playoffs yet either. Bucks, 76er's, a terrible Knicks team and the Bobcats.... all right around or just below .500. The Grizz were a 50 win team this year.

FlashBolt
05-31-2014, 02:34 PM
yep but rings and appearances are everything on here i thought.... it's more my point that if he loses this year he will be 2/5, that will be diminish him making 4 straight finals appearances. jordan didn't lose in his prime except the year he went against shaq after only playing a small portion of the season. 2/4 certainly isn't as impressive as 9/10 or 6/6, kobe, russell, duncan all got to the finals early in their careers too, though they definitely had better teams than lebron.

funny when the heat win chips, it's all about lebron but they are quick to point out that this is a team game when the argument goes against them. they want it both ways. Yes Lebron is greatness, no he is not GOAT material, no he is not doing something legendary by winning the east 4 years in a row. the 76ers, that years pacers, the next years knicks, then the bucks, the old *** celtics, this years bobcats and the nets are all garbage teams that wouldn't have been in the playoffs in the west. this is a team game imo, the heat are unbelievably stacked in the east, though not historically.

I think 4 finals appearances means more that you have set up a dynasty in a conference. It seams that you need a team stacked with HOFers (4 on the heat right now), in a pretty weak conference. The Heat fit both criteria and if they played in a conference like the West, they wouldn't have done it. In the end, finals appearances don't = rings.
Hey, check Jordan's playoff competition during those rings and you'll see just how easy he had it. So you're saying rings and appearances are everything? Welp, thanks for answering your own question. Bill Russell is the GOAT and Jordan doesn't come close. It doesn't seem like you support the rings and appearances argument so put that aside, what's stopping LeBron from being a GOAT? He isn't GOAT material? Lmao, that is absurd. If you truly believed that rings and appearances is the holy grail on deciding the greatest players, what is your view on: Allen Iverson, Barkley, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Wilkins, Bernard, Webber, Nash, Miller, Ewing, Baylor, and countless others who haven't won rings? Are they not great? Because if you say they're great, then it obviously disproves the belief that rings are the absolute definition of greatness. Bill Russell wouldn't even sniff a ring in today's generation..

FlashBolt
05-31-2014, 02:38 PM
yah but logic would serve that we are not comparing players who have never been to the finals to players who have been 5+ times. we are comparing greatness here and among his peers, he has lost in the finals more than others, it will especially so if he loses this year. yes that cleveland team was an overachieving team against a monster spurs team you go to great lengths to explain that only to then put the 2011 as an asterisk. he has to win this year if his all time greatness is to be fully proved. 2/5 in the finals is not all time greatness. I don't think the heat have had a competitive 1st round series in the playoffs yet either. Bucks, 76er's, a terrible Knicks team and the Bobcats.... all right around or just below .500. The Grizz were a 50 win team this year.

Where are you getting 2/5 from? They haven't lost yet.. BTW, Miami in their stint as the Big Three has had a better record against the WESTERN conference than against the EASTERN conference. Go find some supporting arguments before you just assume that they'll lose to any team. Jordan also played against some weak teams, what's your point? You act as if he played against God or something. BTW, I love how you purposely didn't mention Magic Johnson on your list of Finals appearances.. Maybe because it disproves your silly argument? He's 5/9... Yet no one ever speaks of "Magic lost 4 finals appearances, he's not one of the GOAT." Go get some sleep, you have no argument.

JEDean89
05-31-2014, 02:44 PM
Where are you getting 2/5 from? They haven't lost yet.. BTW, Miami in their stint as the Big Three has had a better record against the WESTERN conference than against the EASTERN conference. Go find some supporting arguments before you just assume that they'll lose to any team. Jordan also played against some weak teams, what's your point? You act as if he played against God or something. BTW, I love how you purposely didn't mention Magic Johnson on your list of Finals appearances.. Maybe because it disproves your silly argument? He's 5/9... Yet no one ever speaks of "Magic lost 4 finals appearances, he's not one of the GOAT." Go get some sleep, you have no argument.

read things my man, read. 2/5 was a hypothetical i said if he loses this year it will diminish going to the finals 4 times in a row. as for magic, i never said he was on the level of Lebron, MJ, Russell when it comes to dominance. He was greatness, but he had Kareem, which is pretty much better than anyone any of these other guys have played with.

JEDean89
05-31-2014, 02:45 PM
god heat fans are so sensitive on this forum, you'd think they would learn that it's okay for people to not think the heat are one of the best teams of all time.

HuRRiCaNeS324
05-31-2014, 03:08 PM
god heat fans are so sensitive on this forum, you'd think they would learn that it's okay for people to not think the heat are one of the best teams of all time.

You don't want to admit the HEAT are one of the best teams? :laugh:

I don't care what you think because it's not really a matter of opinion buddy, it's a fact.

Vinylman
05-31-2014, 03:20 PM
The awesomeness of this thread is truly priceless...

non-heat fans trash the heat because the east is so soft and his path was so easy

while the Lebron pole smokers make excuses of why he lost in the finals because his team was so ******...

the hypocrisy is mind boggling

Is the accomplishment impressive from a completely historical standpoint ... sure...

but its another in a long line of irrelevant accomplishments... winning is all that matters in the playoffs

no one talks about how many finals Jerry West went to

jmartin80
05-31-2014, 03:28 PM

Keep in mind a large majority of them never watched basketball until after "the decision". They don't know what other teams to reference.

You don't want to admit the HEAT are one of the best teams? :laugh:

I don't care what you think because it's not really a matter of opinion buddy, it's a fact.

Depends on what you mean as "one of the best". Top 10? debatable. Top 5? Maybe, but not in my opinion. Rankings are strongly based on opinions though. The Heat being one of the best teams in history is very far from a Fact.

http://www.nba.com/history/toptenteams_index.html

Pakman
05-31-2014, 03:39 PM
Heat still ain't **** imo. Yes im a bitter lakers fan who will never give LeBron credit for as long as he's in the league. Go Spurs or thunder!

Lakers + Giants
05-31-2014, 04:08 PM
Lmfao! Dude this is exactly what I have been saying forever.. They keep contradicting themselves! One minute they are saying we aren't that good but when we win we are way too unfairly "stacked"

To be fair, heat fans do the exact same ****. I've seen heat fans say bosh sucks, but then others who cry about how underrated he is. Then i see heat fans say Lebron carries the team single handedly, but when it comes time to ranking the best SGs heat fans start *****ing about how wade is still first. Works both ways honestly.

JEDean89
05-31-2014, 05:08 PM
and heat fans when the heat win a chip "Lebron is easily GOAT material"
when Lebron losese, "It was only once, or it's a team game"...

the heat still have the most talented team in the league but it will be hard to list as an all time great if they cant win it this year.

beasted86
05-31-2014, 05:50 PM
This is pure and utter dominance by an all-time great team. I hope people recognize what they are witnessing and aren't caught up in nostalgia or bias hatred.

There are a lot of detractors (mostly Kobe fans, or fans of teams that got ran through by this same team) that want to make up any and every excuse in the book about who the HEAT played and didn't play... Well I'll just leave this little tidbit for you guys to sip on:

When was the last time any team faced AND beat the #1 ranked defense four times straight in the playoffs (Bulls+Celtics, Celtics, Pacers, Pacers)?

So try and downplay the competition all you want, but these are the facts. If you have examples of another team doing this (as though it's no real feat or measure of greatness) then post them up so we can discuss and compare this HEAT team to them. If not, then nobody wants to keep hearing your opinion... we get it...post some facts or bring something new to the discussion instead of your mere opinion.

JEDean89
05-31-2014, 06:54 PM
fact, miami had the 5th best record in the league this year, utter dominance.

beasted86
05-31-2014, 07:00 PM
fact, miami had the 5th best record in the league this year, utter dominance.
It's true the HEAT mostly coast through the regular season. If it wasn't for that 27 game streak that sort of have them motivation to keep winning, they honestly only want a top 2 seed and call it a day.

But I thought this thread was about playoffs and finals, not about regular season. :shrug:

JEDean89
05-31-2014, 07:08 PM
they didn't last year, they needed every bit of that #1 seed to win the chip, it will be impressive beating SA without HCA, it would be very impressive.

fact, heat's opponents average wins in the playoffs so far, 47.66 as a #2 seed, SA's as a #1? 54.33, OKC's a #2? 56.33, see how it becomes easier to dominate?

JEDean89
05-31-2014, 07:10 PM
heats opponents average in 2012-2013 before the finals? 44, OKC as a one seed? 53, 9 games better on average to advance to the finals. so yeah, yawn.

LakersOrNothing
05-31-2014, 07:19 PM
You all are haters. Who gives a crap! He already told everyone and their mothers that they didn't come here to win one championship, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, not seven... look who's laughing now? /cry

Now come to the Lakers damnit. Lol

beasted86
05-31-2014, 07:36 PM
they didn't last year, they needed every bit of that #1 seed to win the chip, it will be impressive beating SA without HCA, it would be very impressive.

fact, heat's opponents average wins in the playoffs so far, 47.66 as a #2 seed, SA's as a #1? 54.33, OKC's a #2? 56.33, see how it becomes easier to dominate?
I have no clue what this stat is. Can you explain what it is you are trying to point out?

beasted86
05-31-2014, 07:42 PM
heats opponents average in 2012-2013 before the finals? 44, OKC as a one seed? 53, 9 games better on average to advance to the finals. so yeah, yawn.
Still don't know what you are talking about. Again, explain.

Averages of the regular season record of opponents? Is that what this is supposed to be? If it is, what does it mean when the HEAT beat whatever team from that other conference? They still get no credit? All that says to me is they played the number 1 defense AND beat the supposedly more dominant team from the next conference... If anything you're just helping make the case why Miami's four year run is so great.

JEDean89
05-31-2014, 07:45 PM
it compares the difficulty of opponents in the playoffs. obviously it is regular season wins. the heat's playoffs don't really start until the 2nd round at the earliest. you really don't think having to play way harder teams leading up to the finals is a disadvantage, have you never heard of fatigue?

JEDean89
05-31-2014, 07:46 PM
if this thread is only about making it to the finals, then those stats are absurdly relevant.

JEDean89
05-31-2014, 07:48 PM
highest power ranking of a team the heat had to play in this playoffs? 12, the spurs? #3, the thunder? #2 and #1.

JEDean89
05-31-2014, 07:52 PM
but yah beating the 12th, 17th and 20th best power ranked teams in the playoffs is a sign of all time team greatness.

beasted86
05-31-2014, 07:59 PM
but yah beating the 12th, 17th and 20th best power ranked teams in the playoffs is a sign of all time team greatness.
Power ranked? What?

Fatigue? Yes, I've heard of it. But I've also never heard of any team losing to a better team because they were tired... or do you legitimately believe the Spurs and Thunder lost to the HEAT because they were tired?

Also, I'd like to hear your thoughts on Miami being fatigued from four finals trips and short summers including LeBron playing in the 12 Olympics and still leading Miami back to the Finals the next year.

JEDean89
05-31-2014, 08:01 PM
miami certainly looked better conditioned, the spurs are older though. the point is would you want to fight a little guy before a big guy or a big guy before a big guy?

JEDean89
05-31-2014, 08:02 PM
yes power rankings, you know they take more than just defense into account, like offense which the pacers are garbage at...

beasted86
05-31-2014, 08:12 PM
yes power rankings, you know they take more than just defense into account, like offense which the pacers are garbage at...

Wait, you're actually talking about ESPN power rankings... lol... This whole time I'm wondering if this is some new advanced stat or something.

Those rankings mean nothing. It's basically a progress report. Since the HEAT and Pacers finished the season poorly they are ranked low. It's not a measure of the quality of team, dude. It's not Hollinger's formula measuring the quality of every team over the entire year, just how good they are playing lately. If a team sat all its starters (like the HEAT did) and they lose like 4 straight games, that's how you can easily free fall on that ranking. It means nothing when trying to compare the actual quality of team with that in mind.

beasted86
05-31-2014, 08:18 PM
miami certainly looked better conditioned, the spurs are older though. the point is would you want to fight a little guy before a big guy or a big guy before a big guy?
So are you answering the question, or not? Is the reason the Spurs lost because they were tired? If not then I don't understand this arguing point.

If I'm the best boxer, I'm the best boxer, period. I don't care who you line me up to fight, just like Mayweather, I'll just win.

Bring The Heat
05-31-2014, 08:20 PM
How about the Spurs who swept the grizzlies last year in the WCF and had over a week to rest, while Miami had to go through a hard fought physical 7 game series with Indiana.. The Heat were still able to win the championship. Yes rest is important but y'all overrating the **** out of it to the point where u are diminishing the accomplishments of the heat

Bring The Heat
05-31-2014, 08:21 PM
can't blame being tired on the spurs for losing the finals last year! No way. They had way more time to rest than miami lol. They just poorly executed the final 30 seconds in game 6 and gave it away and Miami capitalized.

ManRam
05-31-2014, 08:23 PM
I think this revisionist history that people are trying to whip out suggesting that the Heat have ALWAYS had an easy path in the East is kinda funny. Up until this year there wasn't this talk. And for SURE in 2011 and 2012 there was not. They were often favorites, but nothing more than you'd expect the best team in the East to be.

Crackadalic
05-31-2014, 08:26 PM
Let me first say I despise the heat. I grew up hating you guys.

With that said this is one of the most dominate runs in nba history and for those saying it isn't that impressive needs to actually do there research

The whole "Historically weak East" is a hot garbage excuse. Yes this season is not as strong as there other road to the finals run but no way is it that bad

03-04 1 60 win team 1 50 win team second seed won 47 games the 4th seed was 2 games above 500. The 5 and 6th seed was a 500 team. 7th seed was 4 games under 500 and the 8th seed was 10 games under 500!!

Many more seasons with just as weak season but by no means is this year historically weak when numbers prove its not. You just have more middle tier teams running the conference then previous years

Now people have to remember that winning a chip takes just about 100 games or more in a season. With including this year the Miami heat has played in over 400 games in 4 years. Thats insane. Doesn't matter how fit you are. The mental capability to even do this year in year out is taxing so 4 years of playing 400 games with a chance to win 3/4 titles is a accomplishment in itself

sammyvine
05-31-2014, 08:29 PM
congrats heat but the east is trash

something needs to be done. The Heat didnt have to break sweat to get back to the finals.

NBA_Starter
05-31-2014, 08:33 PM
That is impressive, regardless of if you like them or not about how they went about it or were born is irrelevant, you have to give them props for backing it up.

valade16
05-31-2014, 08:44 PM
put the teams together however you like. The other 3 teams mentioned were stacked beyond belief. If it bothers you that Heat needed to take another path to put a team together that can join those, that is your deal.

You think this Pacers team was stacked beyond belief? I mean really?

valade16
05-31-2014, 08:53 PM
I think this revisionist history that people are trying to whip out suggesting that the Heat have ALWAYS had an easy path in the East is kinda funny. Up until this year there wasn't this talk. And for SURE in 2011 and 2012 there was not. They were often favorites, but nothing more than you'd expect the best team in the East to be.

Is this real? You accuse others of revisionist history but it's been general consensus the East has been pretty weak, certainly weaker than the West, for some time now.

Name a year when the East was considered stroner than the West?

Slug3
05-31-2014, 10:41 PM
I am glad there are people that hate why Miami is doing and think it's nothing special. You need people out there like that.

But you can never please wceryone. There will be people who complain about something. Lakers early 2000's you have people saying the teams they faces in the finals sucked or they got there because they needed the refs and etc. but really who cares. People over look the consistency these teams have/had and in this league that is hard to do, unless you want to be bad. So put a * next to this Heat team. Hate them, talk bad about them. But in reality all you are doing is keeping yourself from enjoying something that doesn't come around too much. If you want to hate them or Lebron please do so and keep making your arguments. You are not keeping anyone from wlenjpyong this but yourself.

beasted86
05-31-2014, 10:54 PM
Is this real? You accuse others of revisionist history but it's been general consensus the East has been pretty weak, certainly weaker than the West, for some time now.

Every year that the East won a championship.

Or are you saying the East has only won championships because the West winner was tired?

I keep trying to bait somebody into saying something that hilarious so I can laugh at you, but nobody will bite. Will anyone say the West is only losing championships because they are tired and the East champion wasn't the better team?

Jeffy25
05-31-2014, 11:32 PM
Laker fans in here saying it's not impressive, shame

I guess Magic Johnson having Kareem or Bird having McHale and Parish make those not impressive too.

This is ridiculous, put your hate away for one second. There is nothing watered down with making the Finals 4 years in a row. That's impressive by any account.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-01-2014, 12:40 AM
Laker fans in here saying it's not impressive, shame

I guess Magic Johnson having Kareem or Bird having McHale and Parish make those not impressive too.

This is ridiculous, put your hate away for one second. There is nothing watered down with making the Finals 4 years in a row. That's impressive by any account.
So only Laker fans are not bowing down and worshipping? I'm pretty sure fans of other teams are in here as well.

BTW, Ten Laker fans have posted in this thread. Six have been pro Heat and their accomplishment and four have said they are not impressed. Does that warrant calling out a fan base? That's the real shame.

HuRRiCaNeS324
06-01-2014, 12:42 AM
So only Laker fans are not boring down and worshipping? I'm pretty sure fans if other teams are in here as well.

BTW, Ten Laker fans have posted in this thread. Six have been pro Heat and their accomplishment and four have said they are not impressed. Does that warrant calling out a fan base? That's the real shame.

And don't base the Lakers fans stance on this on a ridiculously small sample size. It's fairly obvious Laker fans are envious and hate the HEAT. No need to hide from it.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-01-2014, 12:46 AM
And don't base the Lakers fans stance on this on a ridiculously small sample size. It's fairly obvious Laker fans are envious and hate the HEAT. No need to hide from it.

Envious? And what is your proof of that? A ridiculously small sample size of interactions with about 1% of the Lakers fan base on the internet. Right......

beasted86
06-01-2014, 12:53 AM

To be honest its usually not Laker fans. Its Kobe fans as I said earlier.

HuRRiCaNeS324
06-01-2014, 12:56 AM
To be honest its usually not Laker fans. Its Kobe fans as I said earlier.

Well i'm not on PSD often, but it seem Laker/Kobe fans constantly talk crap when i log on.

Jeffy25
06-01-2014, 01:10 AM
So only Laker fans are not bowing down and worshipping? I'm pretty sure fans of other teams are in here as well.

I don't come to the NBA forum often, but you have basically those 4 Laker fans who clearly hate Lebron/Heat and are always looking to downplay anything they do.

Sorry if you took offense, I wasn't trying to generalize an entire group.

beasted86
06-01-2014, 10:33 AM
Well i'm not on PSD often, but it seem Laker/Kobe fans constantly talk crap when i log on.
They aren't Lakers fans, they are Kobe fans. They feel his legacy is threatened by LeBron James so they feel the need to constantly make those outlandish posts any chance they can get to try and reassure themselves that Kobe is better.

Most real Lakers fans are either mixed or indifferent about the HEAT since they have never faced them in the playoffs. Only the Kobephiles have any motivation to hate LeBron and the HEAT, Lakers fans don't have any reason.

sammyvine
06-01-2014, 10:34 AM
They aren't Lakers fans, they are Kobe fans. They feel his legacy is threatened by LeBron James so they feel the need to constantly make those outlandish posts any chance they can get to try and reassure themselves that Kobe is better.

Most real Lakers fans are either mixed or indifferent about the HEAT since they have never faced them in the playoffs. Only the Kobephiles have any motivation to hate LeBron and the HEAT, Lakers fans don't have any reason.

I agree with this. some of them are petty, But tbh heat fans are just as bad. Most of them are lebron fans and many of them only became 'fans' of the heat because of lebron joining in 2010.

ManRam
06-01-2014, 11:30 AM

I didn't say it wasn't "weaker", but at least in 2011 and 12, it wasn't anything historical to write home about.

ManRam
06-01-2014, 11:36 AM

Six of them have been "pro-heat"? Give me a break.

jerrelh
P&G
amos1er
teeboy
championships
vinylman
pakman
lakers + giants
lakersornothing
sammyvine
dodgers&lakers

Vinylman
06-01-2014, 11:40 AM
I am glad there are people that hate why Miami is doing and think it's nothing special. You need people out there like that.

But you can never please wceryone. There will be people who complain about something. Lakers early 2000's you have people saying the teams they faces in the finals sucked or they got there because they needed the refs and etc. but really who cares. People over look the consistency these teams have/had and in this league that is hard to do, unless you want to be bad. So put a * next to this Heat team. Hate them, talk bad about them. But in reality all you are doing is keeping yourself from enjoying something that doesn't come around too much. If you want to hate them or Lebron please do so and keep making your arguments. You are not keeping anyone from wlenjpyong this but yourself.

well said...

I am definitely not a fan of the Heat nor Lebron but you have to respect and acknowledge what they have accomplished to this point... What turns people off though is all this talk like this stuff is historic... it isn't at this point... if they win this year it will be because it would be the FIRST time that a team that went to 4 straight finals won 3 of them...

fans patting themselves on the back for the HEAT doing what other teams have already done and claiming it is historic just opens them up to ridicule...

a little humility for HEAT fans could go a long way in the forums

FlashBolt
06-01-2014, 11:52 AM
For Christ's sake, only three teams/2 franchises have achieved this milestone in the entire history. Stop lying to yourself.. MJ didn't do it, Shaq didn't, Detroit Bad Boys didn't, Duncan didn't.. Stop making excuses.

beasted86
06-01-2014, 11:55 AM
I agree with this. some of them are petty, But tbh heat fans are just as bad. Most of them are lebron fans and many of them only became 'fans' of the heat because of lebron joining in 2010.
Well you just stated an oxy moron. If they are LeBron fans that follow him wherever, they aren't HEAT fans. And many of them are just as annoying to you as they are to me. I constantly find myself for unknown reasons debating with them in the HEAT forum that Wade should not take a paycut down to MLE type money just so they can see their boyfriend win more, and other pointless debates of the same type of lunacy.

Vinylman
06-01-2014, 12:23 PM
For Christ's sake, only three teams/2 franchises have achieved this milestone in the entire history. Stop lying to yourself.. MJ didn't do it, Shaq didn't, Detroit Bad Boys didn't, Duncan didn't.. Stop making excuses.

exhibit A

valade16
06-01-2014, 01:43 PM
I didn't say it wasn't "weaker", but at least in 2011 and 12, it wasn't anything historical to write home about.

So the argument is: they were not historically weak but clearly weaker than the west?

I guess, but it's not exactly a great case either way.

Look LeBron is at this point Top 5 player ever. The Heat are probably a top 6 team ever (60's Celts, 80's Celts, 80's Lakers, 90's Bulls, 00's Lakers) but let's make sure we be reasonable, on both sides of the argument.

SteveZissou
06-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Is this a thread acknowledging what a historic feat the Heat has accomplished by joining the likes of Bird's Celtics, Magic's Lakers and Russell's Celtics?...Oh wait Amos1er doesn't like it and will only be accompanied by Illuionsist later today when he comes off ban to derail every thread from here on out. We'll have to read the exact same agenda driven nonsense all over again. Four straight Finals appearances is four straight finals appearances and worthy of acknowledgement. It's been 27 years since this feat was last accomplished. They are just mad since Kobe didn't do this. He probably could have, but his selfishness and running Shaq out of town killed that chance because every great team, yet alone historic team is going to be made up of a stacked roster. Just take an unbiased look at Magic's Lakers or Bird's Celtics. Those teams were stacked too. Kobe's Championships were all with stacked rosters as well, but somehow this is okay? But the Heats stacked roster deserves an asterisk? Why...Oh ya because Amos, Illuioner and the rest of the Laker trolls don't like it, so excuse after excuse after excuse. They will never be able to grow up and just give credit where credit is due. To them, now that Miami is winning in the playoffs again, they have a stacked roster! Whaaa! But all season, all we heard from mostly the same trolls was how soft Bosh was, how washed up Wade was, how terrible their bench was, how awful coach Spo was, etcetera. I'm sorry Amos that the Heat don't play in the West, but what are they supposed to do about that except beat the West Champion year after year...or maybe you should check the Heat's record against the West in the big three era. You're asterisk talk is so tired and ridiculous and is only used by sore losers who can't except reality.

Paragraphs are your friend.

MickeyMgl
06-02-2014, 02:26 AM

Those teams dominated a fairly weak conference with their stacked team as well, don't see you giving them a mention.

ALL the top teams were stacked. Not just one whose stars colluded to play together.

Also, what is your basis for calling them "fairly weak"? Is "fairly weak" as bad as "worst ever weak"?

P&GRealist
06-02-2014, 02:42 AM
Six of them have been "pro-heat"? Give me a break.

jerrelh
P&G
amos1er
teeboy
championships
vinylman
pakman
lakers + giants
lakersornothing
sammyvine
dodgers&lakers

If you want to put me up there, put my full name up there like everyone else or **** off.

I am the Realist!

TITTAYS!!!

t_money25
06-02-2014, 04:09 AM

This.......couldn't have summed it up any better

rex.reyesiii
06-02-2014, 05:58 AM
Well you just stated an oxy moron. If they are LeBron fans that follow him wherever, they aren't HEAT fans. And many of them are just as annoying to you as they are to me. I constantly find myself for unknown reasons debating with them in the HEAT forum that Wade should not take a paycut down to MLE type money just so they can see their boyfriend win more, and other pointless debates of the same type of lunacy.

Also.. remember the Beasley fans? *oops