PDA

View Full Version : Donald Sterling to Sue NBA for $1 Billion

grandsalami
05-30-2014, 05:05 PM
Donald Sterling to Sue NBA for $1 Billion
BY TIM STELLOH
Embattled Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling is planning to sue the league after he was forced to relinquish control of the team, NBC News has learned.

A source close to Sterling says that he will file a lawsuit this afternoon seeking damages in excess of $1 billion.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/donald-sterling-sue-nba-1-billion-n118836

goingfor28
05-30-2014, 05:07 PM
DTS is cute

Vinny642
05-30-2014, 05:08 PM
Dude is about to be pretty wealthy.

king4day
05-30-2014, 05:24 PM
Donald Sterling to Sue NBA for $1 Billion
BY TIM STELLOH
Embattled Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling is planning to sue the league after he was forced to relinquish control of the team, NBC News has learned.

A source close to Sterling says that he will file a lawsuit this afternoon seeking damages in excess of $1 billion.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/donald-sterling-sue-nba-1-billion-n118836

I think he's suing the wrong party

kobe4thewinbang
05-30-2014, 05:29 PM
Please tell me this man does not have children?

abe_froman
05-30-2014, 05:29 PM
this will get thrown out ,wasnt he just ruled to be mentally incompetent or something?

goingfor28
05-30-2014, 05:30 PM
Please tell me this man does not have children?

His kid is dead. OD'd

Clippersfan86
05-30-2014, 05:46 PM
What a dumb fu** cancer to the league. This is more proof of WHY he SHOULD of been banned like he was. The dude got caught with his dick in his hand. Instead of just being a man, apologizing and walking away 2 billion richer... he wants to fight and claw until the bitter end, hurting so many in the process. Clippers fans, the league in general. Just a true scum of the worst kind.

ThuglifeJ
05-30-2014, 05:47 PM
not sure how much this hurts the league, but it sure sounds like a lot..

Clippersfan86
05-30-2014, 05:52 PM
Ramona Shelburne says this lawsuit has nothing to do with the sale. But rather his banishment from the league and 2.5 million dollar fine. I believe the Sterling's are working together on this to make as much money as possible on the way out, knowing their time is done. Shelly handles the sale of the team, because of her cleaner reputation. Donald comes at the league with a lawsuit to try to get a little extra dough and damage the NBA further in retaliation.

P&GRealist
05-30-2014, 06:00 PM
SUCK MAH TITTAYS DONALD STERLING!!!!!

:dance:

WadeKobe
05-30-2014, 06:02 PM
What does one even do with $1B MORE than he alreay has? Just seems absurd.

HoodedSB
05-30-2014, 06:11 PM
this will get thrown out ,wasnt he just ruled to be mentally incompetent or something?

Supposedly got diagnosed w/ Alzheimer's.

Wade n Fade
05-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Donald Sterling cannot win this case. It's probably one of the easiest cases to throw out in any docket. He has no standing because the NBA Constitution explicitly states that you cannot sue the commissioner or any owner (member of the governing body.) By owning a team, he waives his right to sue. His attorney cannot argue that he did not have equal bargaining 20-30 years ago because the man signed various documents as an owner since Day 1. I think a statute of limitations will not cover Sterling. He will owe people money for filing fees, attorney fees, etc. If I am the NBA, I am just sitting here comfortably. The NBA can shift their legal fee obligations upon Sterling and his family's trust because the case would be in favor of the NBA. If he is suing V Stiviano for illegally taping his conversations, that is a different story. The precedent of losing a team because of a private conversation does not apply here. Whatever you do in public or private represents your team. This guy has a notorious history of being racist. He committed conflict detrimental towards the NBA and violated its code of conduct. Hopefully, he can just rest and take meds to feel better and live in seclusion.

Wade n Fade
05-30-2014, 06:22 PM
To add, he does not lack bargaining power in any instance. The man has a JD himself, so he can read over any contract. Ignorance of the law does not work even w/ contract signing or any instance.

tredigs
05-30-2014, 06:31 PM
He'll get a myriad of doctors/psychiatrists to testify that he is indeed competent (true or not), and this will become an interesting predicament for the NBA. My blind guess is an arbitration agreement in the hundreds of millions "out of court".

PurpleLynch
05-30-2014, 06:35 PM
:facepalm: Just destroy him please.

JasonJohnHorn
05-30-2014, 09:39 PM
I think the headline should read: Donald Sterling Providing Master's Class in Trolling To All Of America.

This guy has stepped up the troll game to a whole new muthafawkin level.

goingfor28
05-30-2014, 11:14 PM
I think it's cute that he is suing the league bc Shelly sold the team

torocan
05-31-2014, 09:56 AM
This lawsuit is a joke.

1. It's hard to prove damage when he's pocketing a ton of money.
2. Sterling has waived the right to sue the NBA when he signed the constitution.
3. Shelley Sterling and the Sterling Trust indemnified the NBA against potential lawsuits. All court costs and potential damages just come out of Sterling's pocket (the Sterling trust).

If it's not completely laughed out of court/dismissed, it will simply come back as a bill that Sterling has to pay for the NBA from the Sterling trust.

There's Zero reason for the NBA to back down on the ban or the fine.

slashsnake
05-31-2014, 11:53 AM
So if the NBA just admits fault on day 1 of the trial, and Sterling wins his billion dollar suit, because of the agreement with Shelly Sterling doesn't that mean that Sterling would just have won a billion from his own trust and this would be over with?

tredigs
05-31-2014, 01:19 PM
This lawsuit is a joke.

2. Sterling has waived the right to sue the NBA when he signed the constitution.
3. Shelley Sterling and the Sterling Trust indemnified the NBA against potential lawsuits. All court costs and potential damages just come out of Sterling's pocket (the Sterling trust).

If it's not completely laughed out of court/dismissed, it will simply come back as a bill that Sterling has to pay for the NBA from the Sterling trust.

Glad to hear if all this is true, I didn't even look into the grounds of his suit.

abe_froman
05-31-2014, 01:43 PM
In addition, "Mrs. Sterling and the Trust also agreed not to sue the NBA and to indemnify the NBA against lawsuits from others, including from Donald Sterling
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/24577226/nba-sterlings-reach-agreement-in-sale-of-clippers

can we close this now?

goingfor28
05-31-2014, 01:43 PM
This lawsuit is a joke.

Perfectly said. It's actually pretty hilarious imo

Cracka2HI!
05-31-2014, 02:37 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/24577226/nba-sterlings-reach-agreement-in-sale-of-clippers

can we close this now?
I don't think Sterling is going to go away that easy but I do think legally this is the end of the line for him.

Vinylman
05-31-2014, 04:35 PM
This lawsuit is a joke.

He is not suing them over the sale of the team so your 1st and 3rd points are irrelevant.

You might want to review what the suit is about before you make such logically flawed pronouncements as the above...

I have no idea whether he will win or lose ... i don't really think that is the point... i have always hated the fact that sports leagues have anti trust exemptions and believe their business practices should be scrutinized including the arbitrariness of sanctions imposed on players and owners...

There is no place for Donald Sterling in the NBA but that has nothing to do with whether his rights were infringed upon.

torocan
06-01-2014, 12:44 AM
He is not suing them over the sale of the team so your 1st and 3rd points are irrelevant.

You might want to review what the suit is about before you make such logically flawed pronouncements as the above...

I have no idea whether he will win or lose ... i don't really think that is the point... i have always hated the fact that sports leagues have anti trust exemptions and believe their business practices should be scrutinized including the arbitrariness of sanctions imposed on players and owners...

There is no place for Donald Sterling in the NBA but that has nothing to do with whether his rights were infringed upon.

He's suing them on the basis of defamation, which makes point 1 completely relevant.

Second, point 3 is a general indemnity clause for lawsuits against the NBA, so is also completely relevant.

And yes, you have NO idea whether he will win or lose. I on the other hand know that he will most likely lose, or at best win and end up paying for the legal costs due to either...

1) He's required to pay the NBA's legal fee's on any legal action that he loses (outlined in the NBA constitution in Article 46.

http://mediacentral.nba.com/media/mediacentral/NBA-Constitution-and-By-Laws.pdf

2) Any indemnity as part of a sales and purchase agreement would be a general indemnity clause that would not be limited to the actual sale. It would be a general indemnity covering all actions by the NBA starting with with the initial disciplinary action. Any lawyer worth their salt would ask for a general indemnity (as opposed to a specific indemnity within the purchase and sale agreement), and that includes dime store lawyers that have 800 numbers.

Keep it up though, your streak for calling it wrong on this entire Sterling affair remains unbroken...

Vinylman
06-01-2014, 11:21 AM
He's suing them on the basis of defamation, which makes point 1 completely relevant.

Second, point 3 is a general indemnity clause for lawsuits against the NBA, so is also completely relevant.

And yes, you have NO idea whether he will win or lose. I on the other hand know that he will most likely lose, or at best win and end up paying for the legal costs due to either...

1) He's required to pay the NBA's legal fee's on any legal action that he loses (outlined in the NBA constitution in Article 46.

http://mediacentral.nba.com/media/mediacentral/NBA-Constitution-and-By-Laws.pdf

2) Any indemnity as part of a sales and purchase agreement would be a general indemnity clause that would not be limited to the actual sale. It would be a general indemnity covering all actions by the NBA starting with with the initial disciplinary action. Any lawyer worth their salt would ask for a general indemnity (as opposed to a specific indemnity within the purchase and sale agreement), and that includes dime store lawyers that have 800 numbers.

Keep it up though, your streak for calling it wrong on this entire Sterling affair remains unbroken...

wrong on the facts and wrong on the law

Donald Sterling is suing as an individual and the suit has nothing to do with the sale of the team by the Trust

As for calling it wrong you might want to look up what i posted when this first happened... i said the Sterlings would sell the team and then sue the league... looks like someone got it right

Vampirate
06-01-2014, 04:21 PM
What does one even do with $1B MORE than he alreay has? Just seems absurd.

Buy the largest swimming pool ever, through all his money in it. Swim in the money pool, drown in his money when the sudden realization that money=/=water.

FOBolous
06-01-2014, 08:44 PM
How can he sue the NBA for forcing him to sell the team when the NBA didn't force him to sell the team?