PDA

View Full Version : Players that are both overrated and underrated

PhillyFaninLA
05-30-2014, 08:13 AM
I thought this might be an interesting topic, I think there are players in all sports that are both overrated and underrated depending on who you ask.

I'd like to know what your thoughts are on players that are both over and under rated at the same time.

Look forward to reading your thoughts and debates.

PhillyFaninLA
05-30-2014, 08:18 AM
I believe Kobe, Lebron, and Melo all fall into this category.

Kobe - by some is a top 5 player of all time and to me he is at best the 4th best Laker of all time, no question he has had a great career but I don't believe he is the all timer many think he is and to be fair he may be better than I or the Kobe haters give him credit for being

Lebron - when its all said and done he may be in the conversation for GOAT but then again he may be outside of the top 10. Some people put him in the MJ category (I don't think he's there yet) and others call him weak and an incredibly overrated superstar

Melo - offensive machine that doesn't gets some to think he is one of the best ever at his position and others look at his heartless defense and see a waste of talent and a player....he probably falls somewhere in between and probably leans more towards the former than the latter.

Hawkeye15
05-30-2014, 08:42 AM
Melo is the best current example imo.

amos1er
05-30-2014, 08:45 AM
Paul George... James Harden... Lebron James...

Those are the three names that stick out most to me.

Hawkeye15
05-30-2014, 08:49 AM
Paul George... James Harden... Lebron James...

Those are the three names that stick out most to me.

Harden is to some degree, sure. But he is a newcomer to the rating system imo. But, some have him top 6-7, some barely top 20. So I get what you are saying.

amos1er
05-30-2014, 08:52 AM
Melo is the best current example imo.

People were declaring Harden a top five player and a superstar at the beginning of this season. Doesn't get much more overrated than that.

I know you won't agree with Lebron, but George is way more overrated than Melo. Perhaps NY fans overrate him, but the general fan base is pretty much in agreement about him. People were saying that George should have been MVP and that the Pacers were gonna take the east because of his emergence as a superstar and a top five player. Dude is not even top ten.

c.c.
05-30-2014, 08:52 AM
Paul George and Harden can be a bit overrated at times but Lebron James shouldn't even be mentioned

amos1er
05-30-2014, 08:53 AM
Perhaps Westbrook has been seriously underrated.

Hawkeye15
05-30-2014, 08:54 AM
People were declaring Harden a top five player and a superstar at the beginning of this season. Doesn't get much more overrated than that.

I know you won't agree with Lebron, but George is way more overrated than Melo. Perhaps NY fans overrate him, but the general fan base is pretty much in agreement about him. People were saying that George should have been MVP and that the Pacers were gonna take the east because of his emergence as a superstar and a top five player. Dude is not even top ten.

I don't think LeBron fits this. Even his worst haters still admit he is one of the top players ever. Melo I have seen all over the board, and Harden is relatively new to that same criticism.

George became way overrated early this year, and then underrated to close. People that were stupidly putting him on LeBron/Durant level early were being way too hasty.

amos1er
05-30-2014, 08:56 AM
Paul George and Harden can be a bit overrated at times but Lebron James shouldn't even be mentioned

No one is denying that he isn't the best in the game right now, but when people say that he is already top five of all time and start comparing him to Jordan, that is when he is being overrated. There are some out there who even overrate Jordan by putting him into a god-like infallible status. Just because a player is very good, doesn't exempt said player from being overrated.

amos1er
05-30-2014, 08:59 AM
I don't think LeBron fits this. Even his worst haters still admit he is one of the top players ever. Melo I have seen all over the board, and Harden is relatively new to that same criticism.

George became way overrated early this year, and then underrated to close. People that were stupidly putting him on LeBron/Durant level early were being way too hasty.

I was not one of those people. I prefer to see what the player can actually do before I go projecting what I think (or hope) they will do. George did show a lot of promise, but it's a very long season and young players like him often times hit a wall. Not to say that he won't get better, but putting him in elite status prematurely just isn't very smart.

Hawkeye15
05-30-2014, 09:14 AM
I was not one of those people. I prefer to see what the player can actually do before I go projecting what I think (or hope) they will do. George did show a lot of promise, but it's a very long season and young players like him often times hit a wall. Not to say that he won't get better, but putting him in elite status prematurely just isn't very smart.

yeppers

kobe4thewinbang
05-30-2014, 09:25 AM
I thought this might be an interesting topic, I think there are players in all sports that are both overrated and underrated depending on who you ask.

I'd like to know what your thoughts are on players that are both over and under rated at the same time.

Look forward to reading your thoughts and debates.You should rephrase your question. I thought you would be asking about which players are overrated at one thing, but underrated at another thing. In that case, I would say that Shaq was overrated in how unstoppable he was but was underrated in his passing ability.

mightybosstone
05-30-2014, 09:27 AM
I don't think Lebron is overrated by anybody, but there are certainly a fair share of people who underrate the guy. Still, I don't think he qualifies for this list. Kobe certainly does, as you'll see many people on this forum suggest he's an all-time top 5 guy and some people suggest he's not worthy of the top 30, both of which are ridiculous. Melo and Harden are both great examples of current players who belong in this discussion.

And no player belongs in this category more right now than Russell Westbrook. When he's playing poorly, he's the reason for every Thunder loss and should be traded. When he's playing well, he's a superstar and the savior of the Thunder team and you have people posting threads about whether he or Durant are more valuable. Nobody is more polarizing on either end of the spectrum on a week-to-week basis than Russell Westbrook.

c.c.
05-30-2014, 09:36 AM
Paul George and Harden can be a bit overrated at times but Lebron James shouldn't even be mentioned those guys

mRc08
05-30-2014, 09:48 AM
I think ex bull luol deng falls into this category. Always an underrated player in many bulls eyes fans, but I think in a way he is also overrated. He finally received allstar recognition once derrick put some spotlight back on the bulls, but since trading him what he brought really hasn't been missed. This is largely due to what Jimmy Butler has been able to do. So as I sit back and reflect on Deng, I don't really know how to rate him.

PhillyFaninLA
05-30-2014, 11:59 AM
I think ex bull luol deng falls into this category. Always an underrated player in many bulls eyes fans, but I think in a way he is also overrated. He finally received allstar recognition once derrick put some spotlight back on the bulls, but since trading him what he brought really hasn't been missed. This is largely due to what Jimmy Butler has been able to do. So as I sit back and reflect on Deng, I don't really know how to rate him.

I think this is a great name to pick....I think we (I know I did) think about the superstars and not the pretty to good......Lou Williams or Josh Smith might even fall into the both over and under rated

Chrisclover
05-30-2014, 12:10 PM
It has to be my man, Kobe

CELTICS4LYFE
05-30-2014, 12:10 PM
I think Rondo is the definition of this.

Ask one person and he's one of the best PG in the NBA, ask another and he's not even top 15.

houstonfan
05-30-2014, 01:19 PM
Jeremy Lin is overrated by his fans that think he can be the "Linsanity" guy and underrated by people who think he is awful and shouldnt even play in the NBA. He's a solid 6th man in the NBA.

king4day
05-30-2014, 01:20 PM
Lance Stephenson.

ManRam
05-30-2014, 01:24 PM
I do think any polarizing star fits this to at least some extent. Kobe, Wade, Rose, Blake, Westbrook, George, Harden, Love...all of them. Just look at PSD and how split people are about all of them. It's why I don't really like arguing over "ratedness"...there are always plenty of people that over or under rate these guys, and few who are really genuinely right on the spot in the middle. LeBron's there too, but I'm not so sure how much you can really overrate the guy. Maybe legacy-wise if you're really trying to put him with MJ at this stage in his career :shrug:

Jamiecballer
05-30-2014, 02:39 PM
No one is denying that he isn't the best in the game right now, but when people say that he is already top five of all time and start comparing him to Jordan, that is when he is being overrated. There are some out there who even overrate Jordan by putting him into a god-like infallible status. Just because a player is very good, doesn't exempt said player from being overrated.

Do you guys not understand the topic of this thread. Can't we stick to it instead of going down this road again??

Jamiecballer
05-30-2014, 02:41 PM
My answers Melo and Westbrook

savvy1803
05-30-2014, 02:41 PM
I do think any polarizing star fits this to at least some extent. Kobe, Wade, Rose, Blake, Westbrook, George, Harden, Love...all of them. Just look at PSD and how split people are about all of them. It's why I don't really like arguing over "ratedness"...there are always plenty of people that over or under rate these guys, and few who are really genuinely right on the spot in the middle. LeBron's there too, but I'm not so sure how much you can really overrate the guy. Maybe legacy-wise if you're really trying to put him with MJ at this stage in his career :shrug:

Legacy-wise any active player still playing the game should not be placed in the top whatever of greatest players to ever play in the NBA , not fair to the player and not fair to the legends that came before him who have already cemented their place in this great game , no matter which order you feel those top whatever players are .

Placement for legacy should only be done when the player mentioned has brought his career to a conclusion it is at that time that his place in the game can be somewhat determined and cemented and that position can fluctuate and be open to debate as future careers end and are equally judged .

Overrating or underrating players from a legacy perspective before their career's end is hasty because the final information available cannot be fully considered as it has yet to complete .

PurpleLynch
05-30-2014, 02:47 PM
Cue "It's the end of the world as we know it",Amos1er and Hawkeye have a common opinion. :D

I'm just joking,honestly this forum has ups and downs,but it's still awesome to be a member,really great time.

Iggz53
05-30-2014, 03:21 PM
Joe Johnson

Slade123
05-30-2014, 04:07 PM

Question was overrated and underrated, not one or the other.

bucketss
05-30-2014, 04:15 PM
Russel G.o.a.t.BROOK

Raidaz4Life
05-30-2014, 05:21 PM
Westbrook is the first person that same to mind for me.

beliges
05-30-2014, 05:23 PM
Its actually very easy to see decipher between who is truly overrated and who is truly underrated. Just look at a player's accomplishments. You may not like him and you may not want him to succeed but one thing you cannot take away from a player are his accomplishments. Its not too difficult to see who falls into the top 5 all time category and etc...

Spanklin
05-30-2014, 05:49 PM
allen Iverson. Am I doing this right?