PDA

View Full Version : Is Russell Westbrook a Superstar?

MetroMan
05-29-2014, 05:17 PM
I say yes. hbu?

goingfor28
05-29-2014, 05:20 PM
Of course he is. No question.

SPURSFAN1
05-29-2014, 05:20 PM
You have to win a Finals MVP to be considered a Superstar.
He is a great player but he's not a a superstar yet.
Superstar is thrown around more loosely than a corner whore nowadays.

koreancabbage
05-29-2014, 05:28 PM
Of course he is. No question.

He's not marketable (yet) nor do people even know much about him. He's dwarfed in the shadow of Durant.

Sssmush
05-29-2014, 05:51 PM
yes.

Westbrook is JORDANESQUE

Sssmush
05-29-2014, 05:52 PM
Westbrook's game is uniquely pure and unequaled in its athleticism

king4day
05-29-2014, 05:52 PM
To me, there are 2 superstars in this league. KD and LeBron. Kobe may still be there depending on how he recovers. Wade might be one also but his knee problems have made what would have been a sure thing, a question mark.

I'd put Westbrook on the next level down (with Melo and Harden). Not many guys on that next level either so it's not a bad thing.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-29-2014, 06:01 PM
Easily.

BobbyHillSwag
05-29-2014, 06:03 PM
Considering that this is the weakest era for star players I've ever seen then you can say westbrook is a superstar. Only because of the weak era though

tredigs
05-29-2014, 06:10 PM
@King4Day, why would you include Harden and not... 10+ other players? One being his own teammate.

Anyway, this site seems to have the "What is a superstar" debate every couple months, and the bottom line is that everyone has their own criteria; some base it more on talent, others focus on their marketing power (significantly influenced by where they play), others a Finals MVP (that's a new one). There's no answer. It just depends on what you value more (or who you like more), what your subjective threshold for superstardom is - and if it's the internet - how they have played this week.

That said, I'd say "no" he's not a superstar. But he's close enough that it's a reasonable take on his image.

BobbyHillSwag
05-29-2014, 06:14 PM
If you win a mvp you're definitely a superstar

Cal827
05-29-2014, 06:17 PM
Lmfao, **** no

There are only like 2 or 3 current superstars right now ( quite a few of them are bordering on it due to age), and none of them are point guards.

I will say that Westbrook is probably the closest PG to superstar status of all of the ones in the league right now (who are fairly young)

Tony_Starks
05-29-2014, 06:27 PM
Yep. Easy.

Corey
05-29-2014, 06:35 PM

So Paul and Durant aren't superstars by your definition? Interesting.

SPURSFAN1
05-29-2014, 06:39 PM

Pretty much.

Cal827
05-29-2014, 06:42 PM

:laugh: Paul is not a Superstar, at least IMO

SPURSFAN1
05-29-2014, 06:44 PM

hahahaahaha I read CP3 and was like :laugh:

Dade County
05-29-2014, 06:55 PM
He has super star talent... He only needs more global exposure.

In other words, he is a super star, just not globally.

Dade County
05-29-2014, 06:58 PM
To me, there are 2 superstars in this league. KD and LeBron. Kobe may still be there depending on how he recovers. Wade might be one also but his knee problems have made what would have been a sure thing, a question mark.

I'd put Westbrook on the next level down (with Melo and Harden). Not many guys on that next level either so it's not a bad thing.

Somewhat Agree... Good post

Raps18-19 Champ
05-29-2014, 07:01 PM

Lol.

Hawkeye15
05-29-2014, 07:03 PM
@King4Day, why would you include Harden and not... 10+ other players? One being his own teammate.

Anyway, this site seems to have the "What is a superstar" debate every couple months, and the bottom line is that everyone has their own criteria; some base it more on talent, others focus on their marketing power (significantly influenced by where they play), others a Finals MVP (that's a new one). There's no answer. It just depends on what you value more (or who you like more), what your subjective threshold for superstardom is - and if it's the internet - how they have played this week.

That said, I'd say "no" he's not a superstar. But he's close enough that it's a reasonable take on his image.

agreed with your statement that it is up to an individual to define.

For me personally, there are really never more than a couple or three SUPER stars in any given year. LeBron and Durant are currently, you can put them on any roster and that team is a playoff team most likely, and they make a good team instant contenders.

Paul, Howard, Westbrook, Love, Davis, Rose, Dirk, Griffin, Harden, Curry, and a few others are all "star" players. Kobe needs to show his recovery, and I know I left a few guys off that list, it was off the top of my head.

I think superstar is used too much personally.

abe_froman
05-29-2014, 07:11 PM
I think superstar is used too much personally.
i think its the opposite actually,i think there are too many that are like you that try to limit the word/title/whatever as much as possible ,so that only 1 or 2 can be called that.

for me,the rough definition is anyone who can break out of the confines of the league and go mainstream-basically, if i can say the guy's name to a non or casual fan and they have an idea of who the hell i'm talking about.if my gf has heard of you,than you are a superstar in my eyes

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-29-2014, 07:26 PM
Seeing that my definition of superstar is reserved for the top few players of the league, my answer is no but he is close to it. As of right now, I'd say LeBron, Durant, Paul are up there.. Kobe could be included too because of how marketable he is. Wouldn't have an issue with Dwight either.

Red_Pill
05-29-2014, 07:27 PM

Interesting, so Chauncey Billups and Tony Parker are superstars, but Karl Malone never was?

Neither Billips or TP were or ever will be superstars.

Hawkeye15
05-29-2014, 07:32 PM
i think its the opposite actually,i think there are too many that are like you that try to limit the word/title/whatever as much as possible ,so that only 1 or 2 can be called that.

for me,the rough definition is anyone who can break out of the confines of the league and go mainstream-basically, if i can say the guy's name to a non or casual fan and they have an idea of who the hell i'm talking about.if my gf has heard of you,than you are a superstar in my eyes

and I have no problem with your view. Like I said, its up to the individual to define it. Marketing to me has no bearing, I don't care about that stuff as a huge fan of the game.

Hawkeye15
05-29-2014, 07:33 PM
easy way to put it for me:

Owners think you are a superstar if you lace their pockets
Coaches/players think you are a superstar if you are one of the greatest players in the game

Corey
05-29-2014, 07:35 PM
Pretty much.

Lol.

He's only the best pure point guard in basketball. No biggie.

mjm07
05-29-2014, 07:51 PM

So its about how popular they are? If so, then is Jeremy lin a superstar?

SPURSFAN1
Interesting, so Chauncey Billups and Tony Parker are superstars, but Karl Malone never was?

Neither Billips or TP were or ever will be superstars.

Clear cut definition. Some great players are going to be left out but so what. Win a Finals being the main man and you are a Superstar to me. And yes, Tony Parker and Chauncey are Superstars.

Jamiecballer
Nope. He's incredibly entertaining but I reserve the term for those who play the game the right way.

abe_froman
05-29-2014, 07:56 PM
So its about how popular they are? If so, then is Jeremy lin a superstar?

thats what superstardom is all about,its what it has always been about no matter the medium(the most popular actors,singers,ect. are called superstars)

no,his time being uber well known was for a few months a couple years ago,most people have moved on and forgotten him(except superfans like us who know 90% of the players in the league)

Raps18-19 Champ
05-29-2014, 07:57 PM
He's only the best pure point guard in basketball. No biggie.

Hey man. Who cares if he'll be in the top 5 PG list all time (arguably top 3). He's not a superstar!

bucketss
05-29-2014, 07:58 PM
yeah, i think hes better than guys like iverson tbh

Corey
05-29-2014, 08:01 PM
Hey man. Who cares if he'll be in the top 5 PG list all time (arguably top 3). He's not a superstar!

Yep. Wont be until he wins a finals MVP. Same with Durant :rolleyes:

WVNowitzki
05-29-2014, 08:26 PM
Superstar at being a douche and a whiner maybe.

mjm07
05-29-2014, 09:38 PM
thats what superstardom is all about,its what it has always been about no matter the medium(the most popular actors,singers,ect. are called superstars)

no,his time being uber well known was for a few months a couple years ago,most people have moved on and forgotten him(except superfans like us who know 90% of the players in the league)

I see. I don't necessarily disagree with you but I do believe that the " superstar " label is thrown around to too many undeserving players.

Having that said, Westbrook is definitely elite but i wouldn't say he's a superstar.

bucketss
05-29-2014, 09:53 PM
who exactly are superstars in this league? can anyone list them?

bucketss
05-29-2014, 09:56 PM
my superstar list:

lebron,durant,paul,westbrook,parker,blake,

NBA_Starter
05-29-2014, 10:21 PM
He is a star but one who can make you either very happy or very frustrated, there is not much middle ground with him.

Hawkeye15
05-29-2014, 11:00 PM
Clear cut definition. Some great players are going to be left out but so what. Win a Finals being the main man and you are a Superstar to me. And yes, Tony Parker and Chauncey are Superstars.

unfortunately, 95% of players never have the team around them to make the finals, and then another huge majority will never win it.

But, I understand your posting style, and your pushing of anything Spurs related to any potential discussion.

In no world or universe is Tony Parker anywhere near Chris Paul. Never has been.

Hawkeye15
05-29-2014, 11:01 PM

this was the first time I can think of where I questioned Paul come playoff time. He was great as usual, but cost his team a game, and clearly had the roster to do some damage. But, his overall body is just so awesome, it's not like it is costing him a spot on my top 5 PG list ever by the time he is done.

cmellofan15
05-29-2014, 11:29 PM
titling a player a "superstar" or anything in that matter is completely subjective. With that being said, I, personally, don't think he is.

benzni
05-30-2014, 02:49 AM
Kevin Durant and Lebron James are really the only players I consider to be "Superstars". The guys that follow next are stars. Just a different tier.

ldawg
05-30-2014, 02:56 AM
strange question and lol to who vote no

mngopher35
05-30-2014, 03:05 AM
Westbrook is a top 10 player who can run the offense (OKC works through him more than Durant) and also shows up defensively which is not always true for star players. He brings a ton to the table with his athleticism and attacking attitude. Superstar depends on your own definition but I think he is a top 10 player in the league and love how intense he plays.

I'd vote yes.

sammyvine
05-30-2014, 06:45 AM
CP3 isn't a superstar. This post season proved it.

his playoff record is pretty poor to be considered a superstar. If your a superstar imo you take your team deep into the playoffs and your team is a contender.

Chrisclover
05-30-2014, 07:20 AM
yes.

Westbrook is JORDANESQUE

Far -fetched.
may you explain?Westbrook and Rose are very similar. Do you call Rose Jordan-esque, too?

Chrisclover
05-30-2014, 07:29 AM
Anyway, this site seems to have the "What is a superstar" debate every couple months, and the bottom line is that everyone has their own criteria;
some base it more on talent, others focus on their marketing power (significantly influenced by where they play), others a Finals MVP (that's a new one). There's no answer. It just depends on what you value more (or who you like more), what your subjective threshold for superstardom is - and if it's the internet - how they have played this week.

The FMVP criteria cracked me up. Pippen was never one, so he wasn't a superstar?
Particularly in this era wherein stars clamor for working with stars, it is just unfair to rule some stars out of the superstar-dom when they sacrifice their stats.
I do agree that only Lebron and KD are superstars. George and Harden are just too unfledged but they have a good shot at becoming superstars one day if they keep trying.

Chrisclover
05-30-2014, 07:31 AM
my superstar list:

lebron,durant,paul,westbrook,parker,blake,

Paul is a pseudo-superstar because his skill set is too limited, his leadership is questionable, and his performance is not as stable as we may expect.

ldawg
05-30-2014, 08:16 AM
IMO a superstar is any max player that you can build your team around. A player who can fill the stat sheet consistently and rank among the top past and present players, A marketable player. I always had Westbrook as a young pg version Kobe.

ldawg
05-30-2014, 08:56 AM
Saying the two best and favor superstars Lebron and Durant are the only super stars is like saying Jordan Dominique were the only superstars in the 90s. to show the ignorance Wade lead Miami to a title before the arrival of Lebron and was the star of his team averaging almost 30ppg yet he is not a super star. Given that Kobe and Duncan still playing and have a total of 9 titles arguable the best pf and sg of all time is mind boggling.

ldawg
05-30-2014, 09:01 AM
So I guess the question is what is a super star? the most popular? the best dunker.

kobe4thewinbang
05-30-2014, 09:27 AM
I say yes. hbu?I will regurgitate Skip Bayless. A player is not a superstar without a championship ring. I know there is a flaw to this logic, but I think it still stands as a sensible requirement. Also, to answer the question, no, he is not a superstar. If he drove more instead of jacking up bad shots, OKC would probably be closer to winning a title. He can do everything else (pass, steal, play with intensity) but his decision-making is highly questionable and a stain on how good he could really be one day.

mightybosstone
05-30-2014, 09:30 AM
"Superstar" is a totally overrated, completely subjective term that I wish we wouldn't use as NBA fans. Everybody has their own definition. Some people say it's a top 5 caliber player, others top 10, some using scoring numbers, some use advanced stats, some use playoff production and some care about whether the guy is a No. 1 or not. So the answer to the question is both yes and no. Depending on who you're asking and what barometers they use, he is a superstar and he isn't one.

A much better question would be whether Westbrook is a top 10 player or not. He certainly was in that discussion before he got hurt last postseason and he's climbed his way back into that consideration in these playoffs.

kobe4thewinbang
05-30-2014, 09:45 AM
A much better question would be whether Westbrook is a top 10 player or not. He certainly was in that discussion before he got hurt last postseason and he's climbed his way back into that consideration in these playoffs.I would definitely put him in the Top 10. Who else is there?

LeBron James
Kevin Durant
Dwight Howard
Russell Westbrook
Tony Parker

I think that's all I would definitely put in the Top 10. I may be forgetting some people, but I can't recall anyone that really stands out. Most of them are just flickers, or they don't really do much on a regular basis. Maybe Lamarcus Aldridge? I mean, where does it end? I'm not a stats freak, so I'm not aware of the numbers for every dude. I'm not even sure if I put Chris Paul in the top 10. What does he do but pass and flop all the time? Same thing for Harden...

CP3 has better numbers than Parker, but that crap really bugs me and more often than not CP3 is losing the game.

SeoulBeatz
05-30-2014, 09:50 AM
Yes. I think he would excel as a go-to scorer/#1 option because that's the role he prefers.

ManRam
05-30-2014, 09:52 AM
Such a subjective term. He's a top-8 player and could easily be a #1 option on a very good team. So, whatever you wanna call that.

tredigs
05-30-2014, 11:00 AM
I love the notion that "you have to win a ring to be a SuperStar", because it is indirectly saying that Jordan, Lebron, Wilt, etc were not SuperStars in the league for nearly their first decade of play (who you could make a case as the top 3 superstars the game has ever seen), but Chauncey and TP were definitely there hahah.

koreancabbage
05-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Such a subjective term. He's a top-8 player and could easily be a #1 option on a very good team. So, whatever you wanna call that.

actaully i changed my mind. Westbrook, placed on 28 of the 30 teams, would be the #1 option, whether the team is good or not. and he's the #1 option on these teams because he's also the PG - which, in his instance, is having control of the ball flow and is taking as many shots as he is open/driving in the lane.

I think he can easily put up monster stats 25-10apg-5-2 as the # 1

shep33
05-30-2014, 11:33 AM
He's the best guard in the NBA, and outside of CP3, nobody else is even close

tredigs
05-30-2014, 11:35 AM
He already had the #2 Usage in all of the NBA 2 of the past 3 seasons and plays with the most efficient/best scorer in the game while still taking 19 attempts a night in those seasons, so I doubt we'll see 10 assists from Russ as a #1. He'd probably have to play SG or super-6 man for GS, LAC and SAS, which I'm not entirely sure if it would help their offenses or not if he started? Pop would probably have him neutered at some point, but maybe in LAC it would be a more interesting fit. Imagine the athleticism on that court...

ldawg
05-30-2014, 11:38 AM
Ill build a team around westbrook to battle Durant, Lebron, Mello etc. Ill move him to sg however.

Chrisclover
05-30-2014, 11:58 AM
Saying the two best and favor superstars Lebron and Durant are the only super stars is like saying Jordan Dominique were the only superstars in the 90s. to show the ignorance Wade lead Miami to a title before the arrival of Lebron and was the star of his team averaging almost 30ppg yet he is not a super star. Given that Kobe and Duncan still playing and have a total of 9 titles arguable the best pf and sg of all time is mind boggling.

You didnt pay attention. We certainly are saying last regular season and the ongoing playoffs. TD, Kobe are approaching the end of their respective career. Wade is injury-prone, so he is not a superstar now

tredigs
05-30-2014, 12:09 PM
He's the best guard in the NBA, and outside of CP3, nobody else is even close

I'd say Curry's not only on his level, but better. Although when Westbrook can maintain great D (it's inconsistent, but I think if he had a great defensive coach with authority he'd murder on that end), along with his rebounding prowess, he's about as unstoppable of a two way guard you can find. With his suspect outside shot he just can't compare to the way Curry commands the attention of a defense and can significantly effect a game by literally just standing around (which obviously he never does), though. They both have similar lapses, but a Curry bad shot = a Westbrook good shot. Being that they're PG's and not bigs who can more easily effect the teams D, I'd say Curry is a better guard. I think they're both top 10 players and better than Harden, though.

D-Leethal
05-30-2014, 12:16 PM
The most dominant force at PG by far. His physicality is unmatched, the LeBron of PGs, and he is a capable #1 banana on any team in this league outside of the obvious 2 or 3. Top 10 player, superstar for sure.

D-Leethal
05-30-2014, 12:16 PM
The only people who would disagree are the efficiency nob guzzlers. But they are wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time.

D-Leethal
05-30-2014, 12:19 PM
I'd say Curry's not only on his level, but better. Although when Westbrook can maintain great D (it's inconsistent, but I think if he had a great defensive coach with authority he'd murder on that end), along with his rebounding prowess, he's about as unstoppable of a two way guard you can find. With his suspect outside shot he just can't compare to the way Curry commands the attention of a defense and can significantly effect a game by literally just standing around (which obviously he never does), though. They both have similar lapses, but a Curry bad shot = a Westbrook good shot. Being that they're PG's and not bigs who can more easily effect the teams D, I'd say Curry is a better guard. I think they're both top 10 players and better than Harden, though.

I love Curry, and I would love even more to see Westbrook completely manhandle him on both ends in a playoff series. Curry is a fantastic, silky smooth player, but Westbrook is a dominant force that nobody in this league can match.

Chronz
05-30-2014, 01:47 PM
CP3 isn't a superstar. This post season proved it.

his playoff record is pretty poor to be considered a superstar. If your a superstar imo you take your team deep into the playoffs and your team is a contender.

Superstars do not control their teams destiny in their entirety, sorry but all of NBA history has already proven that. CP3 had a really bad stretch to close G5 but he also had his moments of heroism, he proved hes still still a superstar, just that hes not clearly the best at his position anymore.

Chronz
05-30-2014, 01:49 PM
Paul is a pseudo-superstar because his skill set is too limited, his leadership is questionable, and his performance is not as stable as we may expect.
His leadership is questionable now? Performance not stable? Dude has the most well rounded skillset in the game. What are we basing your theory on?

Chronz
05-30-2014, 01:54 PM

Westbrooks stock has never been higher, and Curry wasn't exactly killing it this post season. You have balls to go there. I dont think we have any argument at this point for our boy being better than this beast right now, hes looking like a determined pit bull. Unleashing his freakish abilities on everyone. I really hope he has one of those 6-30 nights or something, just so we can get back to bashing him.

Chronz
05-30-2014, 01:56 PM
I love Curry, and I would love even more to see Westbrook completely manhandle him on both ends in a playoff series. Curry is a fantastic, silky smooth player, but Westbrook is a dominant force that nobody in this league can match.

Dude stop lying, you and I both know, Curry would NOT take the challenge of guarding him, nor would it be in his teams best interest. Funny thing is, Westbrook might want the challenge, just be too dumb to understand the best way to defend him.

CP3 is the only guy who literally takes on the 2 way assignment for his team, meaning he takes on the teams best perimeter defender and is his teams best perimeter defender.

Jamiecballer
05-30-2014, 02:24 PM
If he was as good as you guys claim he is there wouldn't be a team on earth that could beat the Thunder year in year out.

Chronz
05-30-2014, 02:30 PM
If he was as good as you guys claim he is there wouldn't be a team on earth that could beat the Thunder year in year out.

What if thats whats currently happening?

0nekhmer
05-30-2014, 02:32 PM
He didn't do this all season so no. I feel like the one true thing to distinguish superstars is if they're a global icon. First thing is the numbers, second is if you're carrying the team in winning. Very few players can both. Last thing is how popular(as stupid as it sounds) you are. I also don't like basing players on a playoff run, especially when they play significantly worse the following regular season. Guys like KD and LeBron play like this all season long.

Jamiecballer
05-30-2014, 02:33 PM
What if thats whats currently happening?

Do you think him and Durant are that much better this year in order to disregard all their previous years? Honest question.

rapjuicer06
05-30-2014, 02:49 PM
Yes. If you can take over a series at any time, I believe you are put into superstar status. Lots of guys can take over games, but the guy that can take over series after series, those guys are superstars. I think Westbrook is as close to unguardable as anyone in the NBA, plays good defense...I'd take him over probably anyone else to build a team around besides Lebron and Durant.

tredigs
05-30-2014, 02:54 PM

I had a lengthy response to this earlier but PSD was down damnit. Now I'm on my phone, but to put it succinctly neither can stop the other, and Curry has outplayed him h2h over their career in 16 games against each other. He can't and wouldn't manhandle him, it takes a couple defenders and smart D to truly stop him. @Chronz, it's true he is in full beast mode and playing great, but I still hold Curry to a higher regard for his ability to completely distort another teams D. Shows up in the #'s to support Curry by and large.

tredigs
05-30-2014, 02:57 PM
That said I love Westbrook and always had a laugh when his critics were so demonstrative against him. I think we saw last year with him out (and Ibaka this year) just how crucial each of those three cogs are (especially with a weak coach who essentially legs them play with abandon).

Chronz
05-30-2014, 03:06 PM
I had a lengthy response to this earlier but PSD was down damnit. Now I'm on my phone, but to put it succinctly neither can stop the other, and Curry has outplayed him h2h over their career in 16 games against each other. He can't and wouldn't manhandle him, it takes a couple defenders and smart D to truly stop him. @Chronz, it's true he is in full beast mode and playing great, but I still hold Curry to a higher regard for his ability to completely distort another teams D. Shows up in the #'s to support Curry by and large.

Distortion and production are the 2 most important aspects a player can provide, I dont see anything to support anyone being above Westbrook right now.

ManRam
05-30-2014, 03:07 PM

Let's not pretend like the Thunder don't start two complete non-factors and have very inconsistent and often limited options off the bench. It's not a perfect team, at all.

And, it's certainly not that straight forward. Suggesting that HE'S the sole reason why there are teams that maybe can beat them is also silly. What if Ibaka isn't as good as we think...or KD? Or everyone else on that roster? Why is it him and just him?

pacofunk64
05-30-2014, 03:10 PM
SMH...misread the question so I put no. But yes I do feel he is a super star. He can take the game over on any given night.

Jamiecballer
05-30-2014, 03:43 PM
Let's not pretend like the Thunder don't start two complete non-factors and have very inconsistent and often limited options off the bench. It's not a perfect team, at all.

And, it's certainly not that straight forward. Suggesting that HE'S the sole reason why there are teams that maybe can beat them is also silly. What if Ibaka isn't as good as we think...or KD? Or everyone else on that roster? Why is it him and just him?

I've heard people suggest Westbrook is a top 5 pg possibly all-time. If you've got 2 of the greatest to ever play the game at their positions both in the prime of their careers they should be mowing down people.

I've seen players of Durant's caliber lift teams to pretty high levels with very little help before so even if you think most of his teammates are worse than the general public perceives them to be I still think the quality of his cast is good enough to make for a very good team, and that's counting Westbrook as only a pretty good player.

SPURSFAN1
05-30-2014, 06:35 PM
21 points. So unstoppable. Prime Jordan numbers for someone who has the green light all day from OKC.

Chrisclover
05-30-2014, 08:32 PM
His leadership is questionable now? Performance not stable? Dude has the most well rounded skillset in the game. What are we basing your theory on?

You certainly forget his 30%-40%FG games. It happens every now and then.

vangrumpy
05-31-2014, 12:33 AM
Well, Westbrook certainly looks at times like the most athletic guy on the court. Easily the most athletic point guard in the league. I haven't seen a point guard dunk like that or move his feet defensively in quite a while.

shep33
05-31-2014, 01:33 AM

I love Steph, but I just think Westbrook is on a different level right now. The way he impacts games in transiton, his offensive rebounding, ability to create turnovers, and freakish athleticism to get to the hole in seemingly impossible situations just puts him ahead of CP3 and Curry.

Agree that Curry takes way better shots, and has a clearer basketball IQ. I just think that Westbrook's unique athletic ability and size make him a nightmare matchup for opposing guards

Chronz
05-31-2014, 03:03 AM
You certainly forget his 30%-40%FG games. It happens every now and then.
Or maybe that's not the telling indicator you needit tobe considering how stats are utilized these days.

KingPosey
05-31-2014, 03:35 AM

So tony Parker is more of a superstar than Durant
And idk why you're laughing about cp3, he plays in a bigger market Clippers or not, is better, and more popular than Tony Parker. Who I actually do like a ton.

KingPosey
05-31-2014, 03:39 AM
21 points. So unstoppable. Prime Jordan numbers for someone who has the green light all day from OKC.

Your arguments are ridiculous man. Come on.

SPURSFAN1
05-31-2014, 03:42 AM
What does popularity have to do with anything?
Win a Finals being the main banana, and you become a Superstar.
Look at PG. To many examples of "fake" "impostor" so called superstars that just can't take their team to the promised land. The bar is set high for a reason.

SPURSFAN1
05-31-2014, 03:43 AM
Your arguments are ridiculous man. Come on.

do you thing WB is a superstar?

Red_Pill
05-31-2014, 10:01 AM
Look at PG. To many examples of "fake" "impostor" so called superstars that just can't take their team to the promised land. The bar is set high for a reason.

Anyone who thinks Chauncey Billups and Tony Parker are superstars opinion is null and void.

You're seriously putting Billups and Parker in Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Lebron James territory. That's laughable.

BobbyHillSwag
05-31-2014, 12:45 PM
Lol at people acting like regular season doesn't matter. IT does you need the regular season to become a superstar

koreancabbage
05-31-2014, 12:51 PM
Lol at people acting like regular season doesn't matter. IT does you need the regular season to become a superstar

true superstars do well in the playoffs. Sorry if you are a really great players and you didn't get your team to the playoffs, your star kind of dwindles.

slashsnake
05-31-2014, 01:42 PM

It all comes down to definition. Guys like Worthy, Parker, or Billups who won rings and finals MVP's even. Star sure, some are HOF talents. Played exceptional in some big games. But don't think for a minute that they are a true superstar of the league over a guy like Durant or Karl Malone for example. They weren't the best at their positions even.

Winning is big and in the NBA one guy can make a huge difference. But it is still a team game, and in the playoffs you have a lot of great teams, some better than others though their best player might not be better than the other teams best player. The Pistons Joe Dumars didn't win a finals MVP and get through Jordans bulls because he was a better super star than Jordan. He did it because he had the better team and coaching that year. I am not going to say Cedric Maxwell was as big of a superstar as Wilt Chamberlain even though both only have 1 finals MVP. It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. No guy in his right mind would have been calling Bird a good player but Cedric the superstar of the celtics for the first half of the 80's.

If the Pistons traded Billups that championship year to the Magic he doesn't get a finals MVP that season. So if they make that trade, he's no longer a superstar? No. I don't think the team a guy is traded to should determine if he is or isn't on that level. Durant is a super star wherever he plays. Same with Lebron.

I agree with spursfan, set the bar high. Lets not just look at who had a roster/coach capable of winning a championship around them, but at the actual player themselves too of course. Winning it all can play a part. But to limit yourself to one line of thought and say Chauncey Billups is more of a superstar than Durant, or that Parker is more of a superstar than Karl Malone is a joke at best.

I think Westbrook is fringe. Someone earlier was pointing at his 21 point,7 assist, 3 steal and 4 board game on 12 shots as an example of why he isn't, in a game he outplayed his counterpart. Ok so that's 3 times the game Lebron had the day before. Doesn't make him 3 times the star though because of one game. Or do you think this changes day to day?