PDA

View Full Version : Why would Thunder beat MIA if they couldn't do it in 2012?

%%%%
05-28-2014, 03:59 PM
Thunder got blown out in 2012. Why would the result be different now? Is the team better? Is Miami worse?

San Antonio should have won last year in game 6, so I could see them beating Miami.

But Thunder, I don't know.

jerellh528
05-28-2014, 04:01 PM
Durant, Westbrook, ibaka all are a year more mature, younger, just entered their prime, hungrier, have another year of chemistry under their belt and durant is at an equal level to Lebron now, so heat's best player advantage is gone.

Miami is a year older, not as hungry, dependant on wades health, thinking about the free agency coming up, their defense isn't as potent as yrs before

king4day
05-28-2014, 04:03 PM
Not really sure they can. I am pulling for them in this series because I want a Durant/LeBron finals.
I think the Spurs are the only NBA team who can beat Miami in a 7 game series though.

ManRam
05-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Because the Thunder's best players are better and far more experienced than they were in 2012.

Because the Heat as a whole might not be better than they were in 2012.

Pretty straightforward.

I wouldn't bet on it, but it's certainly quite a bit more likely this year than it was 2 years ago.

sens#11fan
05-28-2014, 04:16 PM
So if you fail a test, there no point of taking it again because you failed the first time?

ManRam
05-28-2014, 04:26 PM
So if you fail a test, there no point of taking it again because you failed the first time?

Hell, even if the Heat are undeniably and factually a better team, that doesn't mean they'll win the series. It's sports...the best teams don't always win, at all.

So of course the Thunder CAN beat them. Let them go at the Heat in a 7 game series 10 times and they're obviously gonna win at least one of them. Will they win (if they get there)? Only time will tell.

TheMightyHumph
05-28-2014, 04:33 PM
Because it would make them happy

JC_
05-28-2014, 04:39 PM
I don't see them doing it but you never know. Scott Brooks was a big factor in 2012 with some poor substitutions if I remember correctly, so he will probably be better this time around. Durant and Westbrook are both more experienced, though I'm not sure it matters because Lebron is better than he was and Wade on his game right now too.

BobbyHillSwag
05-28-2014, 05:08 PM
Durant, Westbrook, ibaka all are a year more mature, younger, just entered their prime, hungrier, have another year of chemistry under their belt and durant is at an equal level to Lebron now, so heat's best player advantage is gone.

Miami is a year older, not as hungry, dependant on wades health, thinking about the free agency coming up, their defense isn't as potent as yrs before

This post tells me thunder is gonna lose. Thunder players are more mature than in 2012,what a joke, seems like they haven't improved then.

RateSports
05-28-2014, 05:11 PM
The Case For It

Westbrook and Durant have grown up
Durant has been more consistent
Westbrook is playing at a high level, albeit shooting under 45% for almost every playoff game he has ever played in
An injured Ibaka is apparently Willis Reed

The Case Against It

They don't have James Harden
Their bench is not as good as it was in 2012
Durant still can't play defense on Lebron
Wade actually looks healthy

D-Leethal
05-28-2014, 05:14 PM
I see LeBron shutting down Westbrook and Battier doing an admirable job on Durant.

Hotone1401
05-28-2014, 06:13 PM
It won't happen. If they do face eachother in the Finals it'll be Miami in 6 games max.

PurpleLynch
05-28-2014, 06:21 PM
Miami is weaker than last year? Probably yes
Lebron is weaker than last year?Absolutely no. I'm watching James playing and,even if he plays in a obviously weaker conference, his numbers in these playoffs are astonishing.Whoever wins WCF will have against probably a weaker Miami,but also a well rested and stronger than ever Lebron James.

Okc is a better team than last year also,that's why they could beat Miami(with a healthy Ibaka).But expect James to unleash his entire skillset.

kobe4thewinbang
05-28-2014, 06:24 PM
OKC has no bench. That is why they will likely lose to the Spurs, despite the comeback they've made and strategy improvement. They would definitely lose to the Heat, but I think they would take the Heat 6 games this time around.

Which team had home court advantage in 2012? Is it still 2-3-2, or did the new format immediately go into effect?
Either way, OKC will have home court advantage. I'm not sure if they had it back in 2012 but it would matter.

%%%%
05-28-2014, 06:40 PM
OKC has no bench. That is why they will likely lose to the Spurs, despite the comeback they've made and strategy improvement. They would definitely lose to the Heat, but I think they would take the Heat 6 games this time around.

Which team had home court advantage in 2012? Is it still 2-3-2, or did the new format immediately go into effect?
Either way, OKC will have home court advantage. I'm not sure if they had it back in 2012 but it would matter.

Okc had homecourt advantage in 2012, and the format was 2-3-2.

Okc took game 1, narrowly lost game 2, and then got destroyed 3 straight in Miami.

Even when they were down 3-1, a few people thought they stood a chance if took game 5. Then, they would have been down 3-2, with 2 games at home.

Who knows what would have happened if they used the 2-2-1-1-1 format in 2012.

P&GRealist
05-28-2014, 06:42 PM
First off, Ibaka/Durant/Westbrook are 2 yrs (not 1 yr) better. Also, it took a 7 3 pointer Mike Miller performance in game 5 of that series to blow OKC out; the Heat don't have Mike Miller but they do have a Ray Allen, who wasn't there in 2012. Also, Thunder don't have a James Harden who is essentially a chucker and plays zero defense. They have glue guys like Adams and Jackson, who weren't there in 2012. Also Norris Cole was a rookie back then and is significantly better in his 3rd yr. A lot of factors that play into this.

Yanks All Day
05-28-2014, 06:51 PM
Styles make fights. The Heat are a bad matchup for OKC. That's the reality of it. Against teams like the Spurs, OKC can out-athlete them and use just two stars to run the game. Against Miami, the Heat have two stars that are just as good as the Thunder's.

LeBron is still better than Durant and Wade (when healthy) can impact a game just as much as Westbrook (albeit in different ways). Ibaka has to follow Bosh around and leave the paint vs. Miami, as opposed to camping in the paint against San Antonio. OKC can't out-athlete Miami, and when it comes down to it, probably can't out-play them. The Heat as a whole have a better rotation of players than the Thunder, better coaching, and much more experience in the Finals.

Can the Thunder do it? Sure. It's possible if a lot of things go their way. But Miami SHOULD beat OKC in a series, if they play, because they match up extremely well and cause a ton of problems for the Thunder. Both teams play Miami-like style small ball, but Miami plays it better.

JordansBulls
05-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Okc had homecourt advantage in 2012, and the format was 2-3-2.

Okc took game 1, narrowly lost game 2, and then got destroyed 3 straight in Miami.

Even when they were down 3-1, a few people thought they stood a chance if took game 5. Then, they would have been down 3-2, with 2 games at home.

Who knows what would have happened if they used the 2-2-1-1-1 format in 2012.

Is the format 2-2-1-1-1 now?

Pablonovi
05-28-2014, 07:01 PM
Styles make fights. The Heat are a bad matchup for OKC. That's the reality of it. Against teams like the Spurs, OKC can out-athlete them and use just two stars to run the game. Against Miami, the Heat have two stars that are just as good as the Thunder's.

LeBron is still better than Durant and Wade (when healthy) can impact a game just as much as Westbrook (albeit in different ways). Ibaka has to follow Bosh around and leave the paint vs. Miami, as opposed to camping in the paint against Indiana. OKC can't out-athlete Miami, and when it comes down to it, can't out-play them. The Heat have better basketball players 1-10 in the rotation than the Thunder.

Can the Thunder do it? Sure. It's possible if a lot of things go their way. But Miami SHOULD beat OKC in a series, if they play, because they match up extremely well and cause a ton of problems for the Thunder. Both teams play Miami-like style small ball, but Miami plays it better.

Hey YAD,
Well laid-out. I think it'd come down to Westy - IF he can play 6+ games at the lightening-quick speed he just displayed last night; then they definitely have a better chance than otherwise. Still, just as you say, OKC may be able to win by out-speeding the Spurs Machine (despite its super-discipline and super-deep-bench); but Miami's D is built-to-swarm and LBJ is on another level than anybody the Spurs have.

I think the Spurs would give the HEAT a better series; but I probably (don't feel all that strongly) prefer the 2 Super-Stars VS 2 Super-Stars scenario.

Pablonovi
05-28-2014, 07:02 PM
Is the format 2-2-1-1-1 now?

Hey JB,
Yep (thank goodness; the Home Team should have game 5; they earned it)

Pablonovi
05-28-2014, 07:05 PM
Not really sure they can. I am pulling for them in this series because I want a Durant/LeBron finals.
I think the Spurs are the only NBA team who can beat Miami in a 7 game series though.

Hey k4d,
I'm with you on this.
Either match-up should make for some great ball. And both are re-matches. I Love This Game.

Pablonovi
05-28-2014, 07:10 PM
In my opinion:
OKC is WAY better than 2 years ago because all three of its key players are way better than then.
Also, I view it as a definite PLUS, that Harden is no longer on the team - too ball dominant & no D.

Otoh, I believe that the HEAT are not as good as the last two years. Everybody except LeBron, that is.
LBJ is playing GOAT ball. There is no longer anything he can't do. He is elite at almost every aspect of the game. And just totally unstoppable going to the rim. He may be enough to make up for the rest of the team being weaker.

It just blows me away that he almost never goes "Hero-ball". He insists on pushing his TEAM to fight to get back into games; and it usually works. Be interesting to see, if the HEAT's situation is super-desperate in a Finals game; whether he'd just "take over".

bucketss
05-28-2014, 07:16 PM
The Case For It

Westbrook and Durant have grown up
Durant has been more consistent
Westbrook is playing at a high level, albeit shooting under 45% for almost every playoff game he has ever played in
An injured Ibaka is apparently Willis Reed

The Case Against It

They don't have James Harden
Their bench is not as good as it was in 2012
Durant still can't play defense on Lebron
Wade actually looks healthy

im starting to think he was faking it.

Deutsch Konig
05-28-2014, 07:22 PM
So with that theory, the same output will always get the same results, then how did humans evolve???

Things change, it's not the EXACT same situation from 2012.

More-Than-Most
05-28-2014, 07:28 PM

In what universe?????

Pablonovi
05-28-2014, 07:48 PM
In what universe?????

Hey MTM,
Exactly. KD was the more valuable to his regular season team (shown during Westy's absence); but LBJ has gone GOAT in these playoffs; KD not even up to his Reg. Season standards.

Sure wouldn't mind seeing them "settle it on the court"!

NBA_Starter
05-28-2014, 08:26 PM
Its simple, they won't. They shoot too many jumpers!

P&GRealist
05-28-2014, 10:48 PM
NBA was so dumb to listen to Auerbach on the 2-3-2 format.

JasonJohnHorn
05-28-2014, 11:20 PM
I would put my money on MIA in that series, but it would be closer than 2012 despite the fact they lost Harden.

KD, Westy, and Iblocka are all better than they were then.

Miami might actually be better this year than they were then. Ray Allen is a big addition, as is Chris Andersen.

Jarvo
05-28-2014, 11:31 PM
If OKC goes I don't believe they will win because they have no bench and having KD, Westy & Ibaka playing long minutes every game will hurt them.

Pablonovi
05-29-2014, 11:35 AM
Thunder got blown out in 2012. Why would the result be different now? Is the team better? Is Miami worse?

San Antonio should have won last year in game 6, so I could see them beating Miami.

But Thunder, I don't know.

Hey (math symbols guy/gal), (are you like only 4%s of something (else)?)
Why wouldn't they???
I mean, if you could turn a past defeat into a near-future victory, wouldn't you?
I mean, what's the percents?
(hehe)