PDA

View Full Version : DTS has received OFFERS in excess of $2.5 billion for the LAC

grandsalami
05-27-2014, 06:28 PM
Sports Biz ‏@CNBCSportsBiz 2m
Lawyer for Donald Sterling says Sterling has received offers in excess of $2.5 billion for the purchase of the LA Clippers. (via @NBCNews)

JEDean89
05-27-2014, 06:31 PM
i'm not shocked, i don't think any more franchises will be selling for under 1, and they are a contender in a massive market with 2 of the most marketable players in the league.

FlashBolt
05-27-2014, 06:31 PM
I've always said Donald Sterling was the winner regardless of how this plans out. I don't see how he loses at all. Heck, I think the released tape of his racism boosted the price of this team. Plenty of people out there are trying to be the heroes now.

grandsalami
05-27-2014, 06:39 PM
If the LAC are worth 2.5B+ what the **** are the lakers worth? 9?

goingfor28
05-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Damn that is high. I figured maybe 2B but wow

jerellh528
05-27-2014, 06:59 PM
Congrats, Sterling, you wily ol' coot.

abe_froman
05-27-2014, 06:59 PM
i think they'll get offered a lot,but i doubt that he's getting offered that much(i'd like to get someone who isnt in sterlings camp to verify it before believing)

i think it'll be around 900m

BirdIsTheWord
05-27-2014, 07:06 PM
i think they'll get offered a lot,but i doubt that he's getting offered that much(i'd like to get someone who isnt in sterlings camp to verify it before believing)

i think it'll be around 900m

The Bucks are the worst team in the league and in one of the worst markets and they sold for $550m. $2b+ is very realistic for the Clippers.

shep33
05-27-2014, 07:08 PM
NBA looks pretty bad either way. Don't get me wrong, it's great that Sterling is gone, he's an idiot. Problem is the racist **** is going to get 2.5 billion... It's almost like they're solving the problem by throwing money on it.

I mean there was no way else out of this pickle for the NBA though

abe_froman
05-27-2014, 07:10 PM
The Bucks are the worst team in the league and in one of the worst markets and they sold for $550m. $2b+ is very realistic for the Clippers.
three is a huge gap between 550m and 2+ b

the clips are very valuable because of market ,but would dwarf the valuations of real madrid,yankees,cowboys,lakers,ect.

Clippersfan86
05-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Plus people like Abe are ignorant to the fact that the Clippers will be up for a new TV deal after next season and its expected to be multiple times more valuable. Simmons said his sources said the floor price is 1.8 billion.

Bruno
05-27-2014, 07:12 PM
i guess it would be in poor taste to suggest that he's played all of us? he's getting offers of 2.5B+ on a team that Forbes said was worth well under a billion? this is working out well for him from a business perspective.

Clippersfan86
05-27-2014, 07:13 PM
Abe I'll 3 month avy bet you that Clippers sell for 1.5 billion plus.

BirdIsTheWord
05-27-2014, 07:14 PM
three is a huge gap between 550m and 2+ b

going for over 2b would make it the most valuable sports franchise on earth,that would dwarf real madrid,yankees,cowboys,lakers,ect. .the clips are very valuable because of the market,but not enough to make it the top value in the world

True but if all those team were sold today they would go for a heck of a lot more than $2b.

jimm120
05-27-2014, 07:16 PM
Its simple...it is being sold at a PEAK.

Many factors are gonna make this a bigger sale than it would normally be:

1 - Selling at peak time of winning. Clippers SUCKED for many years but are now a contender
2 - Selling with 2 stars on the team. Paul and Blake are stars that sell merchandise. That simple.
3 - Selling unexpectedly. This isn't a "oh, I'll think about it". Its either buy now or never. FEVER.
4 - Selling with a GREAT PUBLICITY story. What happened was so bad, the new owners will be like "saviors". PUBLICITY.

These factors are what make it so damn high and will, imo, make the sale at least 50% to 100% more than it would have sold.

Clippersfan86
05-27-2014, 07:19 PM
True but if all those team were sold today they would go for a heck of a lot more than $2b.

Yup.

JasonJohnHorn
05-27-2014, 07:21 PM
That seems INSANELY high!

I know that they play in LA, but seriously... it's not like they move merchandise like the Lakers, Bulls and Knicks do. And they don't have so rich a TV deal that the Lake-show.

The Bucks were just sold for 550 million. And they've had more playoff appearances and games since 1999 than the Clippers, small market or not.

The Pistons just got sold for 325 million and they've actually won championships.

The Hornets were sold for 338 million.

The Kings were sold for 535 million.

To say that the Clippers are worth 5X as much as the Kings and Bucks? And about 8X the Pistons or Bucks... WOW!!!

I mean, the merchandise and TV deals, the Lakers only profit around 50 million a year. That means it will take 50 years to earn back the 2.5 million IF they profit as much as the Lakers.

The Knicks are worth a billion and if they were sold for that much, it would take them at least 12 years to earn back that money, and that less than HALF of what the Clippers are reportedly going for.

Forbes listed the Clippers at over 400 million, but they only profit around 10 million a year. Buying them at 2.5 billion and assuming the DOUBLE their profits (which is a HUGE jump) would require OVER 125 years to earn that money back.

That is two lifetimes. WTF?!?!!!?

These numbers are made up. I can't think of any other explanation.

Clippersfan86
05-27-2014, 07:25 PM
Anybody ever hear the saying "value is determined by what others are willing to pay for it"? Forbes can do whatever they want. The people making offers determine the value. Although Forbes clearly failed to factor in things like upcoming TV deal, Doc Rivers, DJ's emergence, Blake becoming more likable nation wide and 7 or 8 heavyweight billionaires in a feeding frenzy. Think of how rare pro sports teams are sold. Now you have one in LA of all places at it's peak and the modern showtime of the NBA, yet you're shocked it's going to get overpaid for like a mofo?

Clippersfan86
05-27-2014, 07:25 PM
Forbes collected their data two years ago BTW.

asandhu23
05-27-2014, 07:27 PM
and... the Warriors sold for 450 mill

bleedprple&gold
05-27-2014, 09:08 PM

I know that they play in LA, but seriously... it's not like they move merchandise like the Lakers, Bulls and Knicks do. And they don't have so rich a TV deal that the Lake-show.

The Bucks were just sold for 550 million. And they've had more playoff appearances and games since 1999 than the Clippers, small market or not.

The Pistons just got sold for 325 million and they've actually won championships.

To say that the Clippers are worth 5X as much as the Kings and Bucks? And about 8X the Pistons or Bucks... WOW!!!

I mean, the merchandise and TV deals, the Lakers only profit around 50 million a year. That means it will take 50 years to earn back the 2.5 million IF they profit as much as the Lakers.

The Knicks are worth a billion and if they were sold for that much, it would take them at least 12 years to earn back that money, and that less than HALF of what the Clippers are reportedly going for.

Forbes listed the Clippers at over 400 million, but they only profit around 10 million a year. Buying them at 2.5 billion and assuming the DOUBLE their profits (which is a HUGE jump) would require OVER 125 years to earn that money back.

You need a little bit of context in your post.

Pistons didnt JUST get sold. That was in 2011.

Hornets sold 2 years ago.

Kings last year.

The Bucks, the worst team in the league in a small market are the only team that JUST sold so that should be your basis for comparison. Obviously prices have gone up a lot the last few years. I could see the Clipppers being sold for twice that what the Bucks did. I don't know about 2.5B. I think that's Sterlings lawyer just trying to drive the price up (I mean why on Gods earth would Sterlings lawyer lie??)

MagicBucsSox
05-27-2014, 09:32 PM
He says he received offers that high, of course he did. And of course he's a damn liar. Lol clippers are not worth that. It's a silent bidding in the best city in the world. So he could get it off

Leftcoast_yg
05-27-2014, 09:59 PM
Its simple...it is being sold at a PEAK.

Many factors are gonna make this a bigger sale than it would normally be:

1 - Selling at peak time of winning. Clippers SUCKED for many years but are now a contender
2 - Selling with 2 stars on the team. Paul and Blake are stars that sell merchandise. That simple.
3 - Selling unexpectedly. This isn't a "oh, I'll think about it". Its either buy now or never. FEVER.
4 - Selling with a GREAT PUBLICITY story. What happened was so bad, the new owners will be like "saviors". PUBLICITY.

These factors are what make it so damn high and will, imo, make the sale at least 50% to 100% more than it would have sold.

I know this is off topic but contenders??? Didn't they get bounced out in the second round???

Raps18-19 Champ
05-27-2014, 11:28 PM
NBA looks pretty bad either way. Don't get me wrong, it's great that Sterling is gone, he's an idiot. Problem is the racist **** is going to get 2.5 billion... It's almost like they're solving the problem by throwing money on it.

I mean there was no way else out of this pickle for the NBA though

If he wasn't a racist, wasn't forced to sell the team and was an all around great guy, he could've possibly made $2.5 billion anyway. Though I highly doubt that number is real. If he's being forced to sell, would you pay over FMV?

FlashBolt
05-27-2014, 11:35 PM
If he wasn't a racist, wasn't forced to sell the team and was an all around great guy, he could've possibly made $2.5 billion anyway. Though I highly doubt that number is real. If he's being forced to sell, would you pay over FMV?

It's a marketing tactic as well. People are craving for the next hero to save them from Donald Sterling. The new owner(s) will gain a new crowd of fans.

Slug3
05-27-2014, 11:46 PM
No they don't. This is all smoke. Trying to get an even higher offer then he might have gotten. Could it be close to a billion? Maybe, but not 2.5.

goingfor28
05-27-2014, 11:52 PM
No they don't. This is all smoke. Trying to get an even higher offer then he might have gotten. Could it be close to a billion? Maybe, but not 2.5.

Maybe a billion? It'll easily crush 1B

Slug3
05-28-2014, 12:09 AM
Maybe a billion? It'll easily crush 1B

Didn't the Browns just sell for a little over a billion or right around there a year or so ago? And they are saying the bulls are to be sold for around 900 million or so. Granted these 2 cities are not LA, but they are the most popular USA sport by far. I just don't see a basketball team getting 2 billion+. Maybe 1.5 billion if it was the Lakers or Knicks, but that's even a lot.

goingfor28
05-28-2014, 12:13 AM
Didn't the Browns just sell for a little over a billion or right around there a year or so ago? And they are saying the bulls are to be sold for around 900 million or so. Granted these 2 cities are not LA, but they are the most popular USA sport by far. I just don't see a basketball team getting 2 billion+. Maybe 1.5 billion if it was the Lakers or Knicks, but that's even a lot.

Right. But basketball is infinitely times more popular than baseball or football nationally.
Guess we will wait and see. Somebody will want to play the role of "hero" too I think and "rescue" them from the DTS fiasco. Just my 2 cents. Who really knows. We will find out soon enough I guess

scissors
05-28-2014, 12:53 AM

Most professional sports teams are just trophies for super rich guys. A team like Clippers won't be bought by somebody who's worried about the bottom line. And if they are worried about the bottom line - the Clippers (even when they suck) are right there with the Lakers, Bulls and Knicks as one of the most profitable teams in the league. Those other teams might have had success but they don't make money. In 07 I saw a game in Indy on the 100 level for like 10 bucks a seat. At the same time it cost $40 just to get into the United Center in Chicago to sit in seats so bad the Conseco field house didn't even have comparables. Big cities make big money selling expensive tickets and so on. Little cities have to beg people to show up.

grandsalami
05-28-2014, 01:15 AM
Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 1m
Shelly Sterling's lawyer said today that she has a written agreement w/ Donald to sell the team. She's definitely pressing to sell by June 3

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 1m
The first round of bids for the Clippers are due by Wednesday morning, sources said. Needless to say, this could happen quickly.

grandsalami
05-28-2014, 01:17 AM
Im confused

ramsizzle
05-28-2014, 01:18 AM

fyi the bulls are worth 2 billion. and someone stated basketballs more popular than the nfl....simply, NO.

Tony_Starks
05-28-2014, 02:47 AM
Damn that means Lakers are like at least 5 billi. Sell it Jimmy! Sell it to Magic!

Tony_Starks
05-28-2014, 02:50 AM
The sorry a ss Milwaukee Bucks just sold for $550 milli btw and I'm pretty sure that's not a great market. Just for context. 2.5 for the Paper Clipps seems very believable.

tredigs
05-28-2014, 03:32 AM
The Warriors being sold for $450 million in 2010 was the highest priced sale in NBA history at the time, then the Kings broke that, followed by the Bucks at $550 a couple weeks ago. Part of that Bucks price was the fact that they had the highest odds at the #1 pick though. If they got Wiggins and he materialized as many hope he will, Milwaukee could (have) see(n) a Lebron-lite type financial impact for the team.

I'm not some NBA valuation expert and don't know the Clippers financials, but that is QUITE the leap over past sales for a historically 2nd rate franchise that shares its arena with the most popular team in the game. I do understand that they have a lot going for them in this sale: Los Angelas, multiple stars, being a "hot team" with an upcoming TV deal, etc. But, it just seems like a wild leap of overvaluing a franchise when we look at all the past sales. I'll believe it when I see it.

Slug3
05-28-2014, 08:27 PM
fyi the bulls are worth 2 billion. and someone stated basketballs more popular than the nfl....simply, NO.

The bulls are not worth 2 billion. Last I saw was try were worth 1 and Knicks like 1.4 or 1.5. Nobody is worth 2.

NBA_Starter
05-28-2014, 09:05 PM
That is chump change for him.

numba1CHANGsta
05-28-2014, 09:35 PM
So is Oprah owning the Clippers a good or bad thing?

lamzoka
05-28-2014, 09:54 PM

In the states NFL is more popular than NBA, but worldwide its not even comparable. Kobe, Lebron Jordan etc.. are known worldwide. Go to china and ask people who's Tom Brady or Calvin Johnson

Kaner
05-28-2014, 09:55 PM
Right. But basketball is infinitely times more popular than baseball or football nationally.
Guess we will wait and see. Somebody will want to play the role of "hero" too I think and "rescue" them from the DTS fiasco. Just my 2 cents. Who really knows. We will find out soon enough I guess

uh no. Basketball isn't close to football's popularity nationwide. Worldwide yes, but not even close nationally.

goingfor28
05-28-2014, 09:56 PM
uh no. Basketball isn't close to football's popularity nationwide. Worldwide yes, but not even close nationally.

That is what I meant. Globally

lamzoka
05-28-2014, 09:58 PM
double post

jimm120
05-28-2014, 10:34 PM
Ramona Shelburne @ramonashelburne

Donald's lawyer Max Blecher tells ESPN that he does not want to sell the team. Has changed his mind from the May 22nd letter to NBA
Twitter

This is exactly why when they said that they'd sell the team and the NBA said that they'd still go along and follow procedures to FORCE the sale...I understood why. If the Clippers said that they were gonna sell the team, but take their own time, they'd yank the chain and jerk the fans/league around for as much as possible before giving up the team.

Glad to know that the NBA kept everything on schedule to continue to try and get the team sold ASAP.

central2003
05-28-2014, 10:48 PM
Does anyone know what sterling's stake in the team is ? Do they have minority share holders and are they being forced to sell also ?

goingfor28
05-29-2014, 01:30 AM
Does anyone know what sterling's stake in the team is ? Do they have minority share holders and are they being forced to sell also ?

DTS owns 100% of the Clippers. His wife Shelley is a part owner as well only bc she married him

JasonJohnHorn
05-29-2014, 09:21 AM
You need a little bit of context in your post.

Pistons didnt JUST get sold. That was in 2011.

Hornets sold 2 years ago.

Kings last year.

The Bucks, the worst team in the league in a small market are the only team that JUST sold so that should be your basis for comparison. Obviously prices have gone up a lot the last few years. I could see the Clipppers being sold for twice that what the Bucks did. I don't know about 2.5B. I think that's Sterlings lawyer just trying to drive the price up (I mean why on Gods earth would Sterlings lawyer lie??)

Those are the most recent sales over the last five years. That is recent.

The important context is profit. How much are these teams MAKING each year.

The Raptors make more than the Clippers.

If you invest 2.5 billion into something, you have to make that money back. If the business you bought for that only makes between 10-20 million a year, it will be over a 100 years before you get that money back.

THAT is the context that matters.

Now, are you going to put that much into something that requires over a 100 years to get your money back? No. Because you will be dead long before that happens.

Maybe ownership is an in to something else for these guys. Perhaps it helps other businesses. Like FedEx buying the Grizzlies....naming the building the FedEx building is good advertising, but... that seems lime small potatoes.

Bottom line is this number is absurd. By the time the team gets sold, I a sure we will learn that these numbers were fabricated by DTS to raise the bids.

JasonJohnHorn
05-29-2014, 09:28 AM
Anybody ever hear the saying "value is determined by what others are willing to pay for it"? Forbes can do whatever they want. The people making offers determine the value. Although Forbes clearly failed to factor in things like upcoming TV deal, Doc Rivers, DJ's emergence, Blake becoming more likable nation wide and 7 or 8 heavyweight billionaires in a feeding frenzy. Think of how rare pro sports teams are sold. Now you have one in LA of all places at it's peak and the modern showtime of the NBA, yet you're shocked it's going to get overpaid for like a mofo?

You can't buy a team on the basis that they are good this season. That is no guarantee that they will be good two years from now.

The Clippers are a historically bad team. A big reason for that is Sterling, but even teams that are willing to spend (NY) don't put together winners.

The Clippers have two MVP candidates in their prime and were STILL unable to get to the conference finals. With teams like GSW and HOU improving, and OKC having made two WCF appearances in 3 years, there is some stiff competition.

If a guy like CP3 has an ankle injury and Griffin is prompted to flee in free agency for a more competitive team, the profits will tumble fast. Having a team that was good this year isn't a reason to buy a team, because of their profits are dependent on their winning, then it is a bad bet.

You take a team like Knicks or the Lakers, even when they are HORRIBLE they are making money hand over fist. THAT is a good investment.

You also don't speak to the recoupe numbers. WITH CP3 and Blake the Clippers only made about 12 million. I generously suggested the Clippers would be able to double that, in which case they would STILL need 125 yers to recoup the 2.5 billion.

These numbers are clearly a fantasy fabrication on Sterling's part.

I'll be surprised if the team goes for more than 800 million.

Clippersfan86
05-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Jason what do you want to bet? There are already CONFIRMED by multiple sources including Forbes that Balmer just offered 1.8 billion and some other bidder offered 2. Grant Hill's group is the low bidder and offered 1.2 billion. You and Abe are dead wrong and you'll see by this weekend.

Clippersfan86
05-29-2014, 11:33 AM
It's funny watching you guys flat out ignore reputable sources and reports with paragraphs of why it's impossible the Clippers will sell for so much lol.

grandsalami
05-29-2014, 11:34 AM
You can't buy a team on the basis that they are good this season. That is no guarantee that they will be good two years from now.

The Clippers are a historically bad team. A big reason for that is Sterling, but even teams that are willing to spend (NY) don't put together winners.

The Clippers have two MVP candidates in their prime and were STILL unable to get to the conference finals. With teams like GSW and HOU improving, and OKC having made two WCF appearances in 3 years, there is some stiff competition.

If a guy like CP3 has an ankle injury and Griffin is prompted to flee in free agency for a more competitive team, the profits will tumble fast. Having a team that was good this year isn't a reason to buy a team, because of their profits are dependent on their winning, then it is a bad bet.

You take a team like Knicks or the Lakers, even when they are HORRIBLE they are making money hand over fist. THAT is a good investment.

You also don't speak to the recoupe numbers. WITH CP3 and Blake the Clippers only made about 12 million. I generously suggested the Clippers would be able to double that, in which case they would STILL need 125 yers to recoup the 2.5 billion.

These numbers are clearly a fantasy fabrication on Sterling's part.

I'll be surprised if the team goes for more than 800 million.

Your insane. Less then 800 million? It's going for at least a billion.

Clippersfan86
05-29-2014, 11:41 AM
The Guggenheim group has expanded. Pretty much endless money. Two billion is chump change. Very interesting mix. Geffen is a huge NBA fan and tried to buy the Clippers in 2010. Oprah can market us to more of a female audience. Ellison is the big funder who is friends with Geffen. Then you have the two widows including Steve Jobs' who will be passive business partners. Jimmy Iovine co founder of Interscope records, which can feature the Clippers more in music.

Check out @HengTimeSports's Tweet: https://twitter.com/HengTimeSports/status/472037769003298816

RaiderLakersA's
05-29-2014, 11:47 AM
The question is, will this convince Jim Buss to share his stake in the Lakers? If Beats is worth $3B and the Clips are worth $2.5B, than those Lakers shares ought to be worth more enough for Jim Doin'-It-All-Wrong to sell and sail away for good.

slashsnake
05-29-2014, 12:49 PM
The important context is profit. How much are these teams MAKING each year.

If you invest 2.5 billion into something, you have to make that money back. If the business you bought for that only makes between 10-20 million a year, it will be over a 100 years before you get that money back.

THAT is the context that matters.

Now, are you going to put that much into something that requires over a 100 years to get your money back? No. Because you will be dead long before that happens.

Not really, it is team value and ability for that to increase. If the Clippers had never earned a penny in any year, and sell for 1.5 billion dollars, Donald Sterling makes $1,487,500,000 off buying the team 33 years ago (or 1000% increase AFTER figuring in inflation).

Lets say you buy a lb of gold. That earns you exactly 0 dollars a year, it doesn't make you a penny. Why did you buy it? Because of what it will be worth in the future.

Also if you are living in LA and don't plan on moving to Canada, and have 20 billion dollars to spend and want an NBA team, the Raptors aren't a possibility for you. The Lakers aren't for sale. If you want to live in LA, and own a basketball team you can watch, the Clippers are your choice. Or you can wait another 33 years for another franchise maybe to hit the market.

There's a lot that goes into that price. But basically, Forbes guesses the Clippers made 15 million this year on a bad local TV contract (run poorly not many watched in past years when they signed it). That's more in one year than it cost to buy them for Sterling. As a team they made what? Maybe half a million bucks in 1981. So if they were bought for 100 million bucks that would have seemed just stupid then right? Well that is the equivalent of 350 million in todays money. 1.2 billion dollar or more return on your investment? Maybe not so dumb.

Even with inflation he earned his purchase price back in the last 4 years, the hundreds of millions in profit and potentially billions from the team sale is just gravy after that. If they are run well, what are they making in 10 years? 100 million a year? 200 million? In addition to the owners guessing the teams value will continue to rise if they run it well.

And you have TV revenue expected to double in two years on a new deal. Plus their local TV deal ends then too and should go up. TV ad revenue is hurting because of the ability to record and watch later and skip commercials. Professional sports is killing it in that area, because it is the one thing that everyone wants to see live.

Forbes is valuing their guess of what that team is worth today as an investment. The owners are valuing at what the team will be worth down the line. That's why the bucks sold for nearly 40% more than their "forbes value". Look at the Lakers. In 2000, forbes said they were worth 250 million dollars. How would you have liked to pay double that then? Or even triple? A nice cool 1.5-2 billion dollar return on your investment?

If a guy like Donald Sterling with all his great moves for his team and how amazingly well he's run that franchise can turn 1.5 billion in profit on the sale of this team, what could someone else have done with it?

Sure you can guess the bubble will burst, the league has maxed its potential, but weren't people saying that at the end of the Lakers Celtics rivalries, at the end of the Jordan era?

asandhu23
05-29-2014, 02:57 PM
The Warriors being sold for $450 million in 2010 was the highest priced sale in NBA history at the time, then the Kings broke that, followed by the Bucks at $550 a couple weeks ago. Part of that Bucks price was the fact that they had the highest odds at the #1 pick though. If they got Wiggins and he materialized as many hope he will, Milwaukee could (have) see(n) a Lebron-lite type financial impact for the team.

I'm not some NBA valuation expert and don't know the Clippers financials, but that is QUITE the leap over past sales for a historically 2nd rate franchise that shares its arena with the most popular team in the game. I do understand that they have a lot going for them in this sale: Los Angelas, multiple stars, being a "hot team" with an upcoming TV deal, etc. But, it just seems like a wild leap of overvaluing a franchise when we look at all the past sales. I'll believe it when I see it.

I think it's safe to say Cohan got ripped the **** off.