PDA

View Full Version : Roy Hibbert Blames Frank Vogel’s Game Plan For His Scoreless Game 4

beasted86
05-27-2014, 01:45 PM
For the fourth time in the 2014 NBA Playoffs and the sixth time over his last 21 games, Pacers big man Roy Hibbert put up a bagel in the scoring column. The runner-up for the 2014 DPOY was 0-for-4 with zero points during Indiana’s Game 4 loss, but blamed coach Frank Vogel‘s game plan more than his own play for another scoreless night.

Per ESPN’s Brian Windhorst, Hibbert explains the culprit for his 0-fer night:

“The game plan really wasn’t to utilize me as much; I’m just trying to be effective as I can,” Hibbert said. “Would I like a little bit more touches early on? Yeah. But that’s how the cookie crumbles sometimes.”

[…]

“I can only control what I can control,” Hibbert said. “I can’t control plays called for me.”

Through four games of this year’s series, Hibbert is averaging 11.8 points and 7.3 rebounds per game. Last year’s Conference Finals saw Hibbert average 15 shots a game. Through the first four games, he’s averaging nine shots a game with a high of 13.
http://dimemag.com/2014/05/roy-hibbert-blames-frank-vogel-scoreless-game-4/

Does Hibbert need to be more involved in Indy’s offense?

Both against the Hawks and Miami, the Pacers seem to go on their runs with West and Scola in the game playing smaller.

Slug3
05-27-2014, 01:50 PM
He missed a point blank shot when he got UD off his feet. He is also the tallest person on the court and didn't make Miami pay with offensive rebounds when they went small. If your not part of the gameplan, you can make yourself part of not by doing other things. And he did none of those.

beasted86
05-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Even in their Game 1 win when he scored a series high 19 points, he was only 5-13 for 38.5% FG.

He's not a reliable source of efficient points. He should keep quiet and focus on grabbing offensive boards when he has a guy 6 inches shorter and probably 50 lbs underweight on him for a large portion of the game.

bleedprple&gold
05-27-2014, 01:58 PM
He missed a point blank shot when he got UD off his feet. He is also the tallest person on the court and didn't make Miami pay with offensive rebounds when they went small. If your not part of the gameplan, you can make yourself part of not by doing other things. And he did none of those.

+ This. Hibbert has no one to blame but himself.

Raps08-09 Champ
05-27-2014, 02:02 PM
Do things without the ball first like get rebounds.

Auseranami
05-27-2014, 02:08 PM
Hibbert is pretty good on the defensive end. He's about as good as it gets when challenging shots. The rest of his game is weak. He doesn't have that good of post moves, he's incredibly inconsistent, misses too many point blank shots for being 7'2. His rebounding is ****. He's the biggst guy in the league and he's not averaging double digit rebounds. I always thought Yao Ming was overrated but at least he had a year where he averaged double digits.
Even if your coach doesn't draw you up plays, doesn't mean you can't impact the game in other areas. Maybe Vogel isn't calling his plays for a reason. Maybe FV realizes he's very limited offensively? I give a good amount of blame to Hibbert for the pacers apparent collapse the last part of the season and their struggles in the playoffs. Dude is overrated.

Big Zo
05-27-2014, 02:14 PM
This is about the only 7 footer that can play entire games without getting rebounds. Lol

P&GRealist
05-27-2014, 02:21 PM
Hibbert is a bum.

smith&wesson
05-27-2014, 02:22 PM
Hibbert is ********. the guy cant close his big *** mouth to save his own image.

shep33
05-27-2014, 02:22 PM
I really dislike Hibbert's attitude and game. Stick to your strengths

ManRam
05-27-2014, 02:31 PM
Hibbert was a terror last year. Against the undersized Heat, there's no excuse for him not to be playing great. How much of that is on him and how much of that is on Vogel is anyone's guess...but I do think he shoulders a TON of the blame himself.

Defensively he has to better too. Remember how genuinely afraid LeBron and Wade were of attacking the paint the majority of the series last year? He was a devastating defensive force. LeBron and Wade don't look intimidated at all.

This team is so weird. Lots of finger pointing. No one is on the same page. No one is backing each other up.

A shame to see them crumble like they have since the deadline. They're way better than they've shown.

smith&wesson
05-27-2014, 02:31 PM
Hibbert is pretty good on the defensive end. He's about as good as it gets when challenging shots. The rest of his game is weak. He doesn't have that good of post moves, he's incredibly inconsistent, misses too many point blank shots for being 7'2. His rebounding is ****. He's the biggst guy in the league and he's not averaging double digit rebounds. I always thought Yao Ming was overrated but at least he had a year where he averaged double digits.
Even if your coach doesn't draw you up plays, doesn't mean you can't impact the game in other areas. Maybe Vogel isn't calling his plays for a reason. Maybe FV realizes he's very limited offensively? I give a good amount of blame to Hibbert for the pacers apparent collapse the last part of the season and their struggles in the playoffs. Dude is overrated.

Hibbert has all the tools and blessings to be the best C in this league easily.

the problem with him isnt talent, or skill, or size etc.. the problem with him is that he is very weak mentally. By that I dont mean he is dumb (although a strong case could be made for that with his stupid comments)

He is very mentally weak as in he loses focus very easily. Like trying to teach an ADHD kid calulus, you just lose him. He also loses confidence very easily as well.

Crackadalic
05-27-2014, 02:36 PM
The pacers outside of David west and scola are a bunch of emotional babies

Nothing wrong with having emotion but damn they get so hung up with the little details instead of just owning up and just playing smh

TheNumber37
05-27-2014, 02:41 PM
There is a very flawed problem here.

Hibbert's career high in ppg is just under 13 (on below 50% shooting)
True, last year in the conference finals (7 games) he was 22 and 12. But that was 7 games!

For a guy that has NEVER proven to be a reliable scorer to now look to almost double his offensive production in the playoffs is insane. Roy Hibbert is NOT that guy. There are treating him like he is a young Jermaine Oneal, which he is not.
Imagine if this Pacer team was helmed by young JO, THAT would be a completely different team, because JO has been a scorer before.

mightybosstone
05-27-2014, 02:48 PM
Hibbert was a terror last year. Against the undersized Heat, there's no excuse for him not to be playing great. How much of that is on him and how much of that is on Vogel is anyone's guess...but I do think he shoulders a TON of the blame himself.

Defensively he has to better too. Remember how genuinely afraid LeBron and Wade were of attacking the paint the majority of the series last year? He was a devastating defensive force. LeBron and Wade don't look intimidated at all.

This team is so weird. Lots of finger pointing. No one is on the same page. No one is backing each other up.

A shame to see them crumble like they have since the deadline. They're way better than they've shown.

This. Between Hibbert blaming Vogel and George blaming the referees, there seems to be a whole lot of blame being thrown around to everyone else other than the Pacers players themselves. After last year and midway through this season, I really thought Indy was in sync as a roster and seemed to have a team-first mentality at heart. But watching the way they've completely fallen apart, I'm not sure this squad can ever work as currently constructed.

I think Indiana seriously needs to consider a major roster shake up in the offseason.

Chi StateOfMind
05-27-2014, 02:48 PM
Series is over. Cry all u want Hibbert. See ya next year. Heat 3peat.

slashsnake
05-27-2014, 03:11 PM
There is a very flawed problem here.

Hibbert's career high in ppg is just under 13 (on below 50% shooting)
True, last year in the conference finals (7 games) he was 22 and 12. But that was 7 games!

For a guy that has NEVER proven to be a reliable scorer to now look to almost double his offensive production in the playoffs is insane. Roy Hibbert is NOT that guy. There are treating him like he is a young Jermaine Oneal, which he is not.
Imagine if this Pacer team was helmed by young JO, THAT would be a completely different team, because JO has been a scorer before.

But the meltdowns are just insane. This is a guy who was averaging 12-8 to get to the all star break, and just shut down since. We are talking about a guy who is over 7 foot tall and barely averaging 5 boards a game. We are talking about one of the worst playoff rebounding performances by a 7 footer EVER. Bill Cartwright and Jason Collins are the only worse ones... ever.

I don't think that anyone is asking for JO. They are just asking him to score in a game more than 75% of the time or to get some rebounds at a a level that isn't historically awful. How can he go up against a lineup with Bosh at center and Rashard Lewis at PF, and not get a single offensive board.

IKnowHoops
05-27-2014, 03:21 PM
Hibbert has garbage hand-eye-foot coordination. Garbage athletic ability. Its like he is pulling himself along. He has no explosiveness or quickness in his game what soever. To be effective he has to get the ball in the right spot. His shooting touch is decent but if you make him alter it at all, its absolute trash. He's a 7'3 Kendrick Perkins. Both are absolutely nothing without being abnormally huge.

JC_
05-27-2014, 03:29 PM

The Heat were so scared to drive last season, it was sickening. I honestly think that Lebron put some fear into Hibbert last time they played in the regular season. Imagine getting elbowed in the face and then the same guy hits you hard in the shoulder, you're not going to play him the same after that. It's like Bosh, once he takes some pounding from aggressive bigs, he's like "**** that isn't worth the trouble". That kind of thing must be in the back of Hibberts mind now.

chi-townlove1
05-27-2014, 03:34 PM
Honestly I love Paul George. I'm on record here stating how highly I think of him. But this pacer team. My god. Looked so good game 1 and have just been outplayed ever since. No heart. No motivation. Just like my Blackhawks. But what bothers me most is the excuses they continue to make. When is it ever going to stop?
First they start by trash talking like crazy.
Then George - the refs fault
Then Hibbert - game plan ( even though he's not some offensive juggernaut)
And lance Stephenson - everyone but himself.

mjt20mik
05-27-2014, 03:37 PM
Hibbert is just useless now. He has no motivation, he cannot do anything offense and defense.

Bruno
05-27-2014, 03:49 PM
absolutely. he's their ace in the hole against Miami. if they don't involve him in the game plan Indy might as well stay home. that doesn't excuse his lapses, but if he's not averaging 20/10 like he did against them last year, Indy has ZERO shot of beating miami.

...might want to leave your 20/10 big on the floor when you need a game sealing defensive stop/rebound too Vogel. the 2013 playoffs, #smartcoachesoutsmartingthemselves. this year isn't nearly as competitive as last years ECF. vogel is a smart guy but I think he's done a mediocre job here.

P&GRealist
05-27-2014, 03:54 PM
absolutely. he's their ace in the hole against Miami. if they don't involve him in the game plan Indy might as well stay home. that doesn't excuse his lapses, but if he's not averaging 20/10 like he did against them last year, Indy has ZERO shot of beating miami.

...might want to leave your 20/10 big on the floor when you need a game sealing defensive stop/rebound too Vogel. the 2013 playoffs, #smartcoachesoutsmartingthemselves. this year isn't nearly as competitive as last years ECF. vogel is a smart guy but I think he's done a mediocre job here.

Do you not watch the games? Pacers can't even get the damn ball in the post. Heat pressure and double and the Pacers can't even pass out of those double teams. It's like they can't even do elementary passes without getting picked and turning it over. Blame West and Hibbert on those soft *** screens that Watson, Stephenson and Hill can't even get pass thru that stifling Miami perimeter defense.

ANd Hibbert doesn't even go after the boards. Bosh owned his *** out on the perimeter last night, no Birdman and he still got punked. He is SOFT AS PUDDY! Another KWA-MAY BROWN!

THE MTL
05-27-2014, 03:57 PM
Hibbert isn't even worthy of getting such shot attempts. He offensive game is limited.

Also since he can "only control what he can control"; then why the hell can't he get a rebound!!!

b@llhog24
05-27-2014, 04:06 PM

You honestly couldn't believe Yao was overrated because he didn't average 10 rebounds.

ManRam
05-27-2014, 04:09 PM
I think we're getting a tad carried away with how bad Hibbert is. Yes, he's a below average offensive threat. No, he's not Kendrick Perkins. Regardless, the fact remains, he torched the Heat last year. 22 points a game on 56% shooting. He has nice touch. He can hit mid range shots with decent efficiency. He's not a great finisher at the rim, but he does have skill. And we KNOW he's capable of thriving against the Heat. But this team has collapsed in all regards and mentally they're just getting slapped around lately. Another testament to the Heat's greatness: mentally they're infallible.

The point is, regardless of how good or bad he is offensively, there's no excuse for him NOT to be doing more against the severely undersized Heat. I do think some of that is game plan and I do think a lot of that is on him. But if you're Indy, and you do struggle breaking the Heat's amazing perimeter defense, you have to take Bosh, Haslem, Andersen, LeBron, Battier or whomever is playing the 4 and 5 to town. None of them should be able to consistently stop West or Hibbert one on one if they're getting good position. Even Andersen. They did a really great job of that last year...but this year, again, they're just a mess of a team mentally and tactically. The talent is there to run with the Heat...it's mostly stuff other to do with talent at this point.

As for the rebounding, again, a lot of that is on him, but they're the second best defensive rebounding team in the league. It's a non-issue. The team is just collectively a great rebounding team, so naturally he's gonna have a tad less.

Big Zo
05-27-2014, 04:28 PM
Haslem eats Hibbert alive when he's on him.

Vampirate
05-27-2014, 04:32 PM
I can't understand how someone who is the largest player in the league and plays scores the basket has a WORSE FG% than Bargnani, a Center who is a jump shooter mainly.

FlashBolt
05-27-2014, 05:01 PM
Hibbert only plays well against Miami and even now we can't say the same.. I don't know who he plays well against anymore. He plays right under the basket 99% of the time and has the FG% of a shooting guard. Dude should be averaging 60% at the least since all he gets are putbacks and baby hooks. Can't even grab 5 rebounds and his defense has been overrated this year. I remember how people thought he was going to be such a beast when they had a photo of him next to Duncan and how big he was.. Well, let's just say he's been an embarrassment.

Deutsch Konig
05-27-2014, 05:07 PM
God, Hibbert is pathetic! I watched the game last night and he was getting out-rebounded by everyone on the floor, not to mention missing easy lay-ups/dunks.....this guy is trying to save face by blaming everybody else, when it's actually just making him look more pathetic.

If Indy ever wants to get by Miami, they will have to find an upgrade for Hibbert, although I don't think anyone in the league is dumb enough to trade for him.

I say in all seriousness, without exaggerating, I'd rather go with Mahini....Hibbert is that bad.

Bruno
05-27-2014, 05:09 PM
Do you not watch the games? Pacers can't even get the damn ball in the post. Heat pressure and double and the Pacers can't even pass out of those double teams. It's like they can't even do elementary passes without getting picked and turning it over. Blame West and Hibbert on those soft *** screens that Watson, Stephenson and Hill can't even get pass thru that stifling Miami perimeter defense.

ANd Hibbert doesn't even go after the boards. Bosh owned his *** out on the perimeter last night, no Birdman and he still got punked. He is SOFT AS PUDDY! Another KWA-MAY BROWN!

i take it that all this upsets you?

give miami credit.

Bruno
05-27-2014, 05:11 PM
all you young bloods get on youtube and re watch the series from last years ECF. whats the difference between last year and this year?

amos1er
05-27-2014, 05:29 PM
There's a new one. Blaming your coach when you go scoreless. Players these days really give the NBA a bad name when they say stupid **** like this. Whatever happened to the sentiment of one being responsible for ones own actions and that the only person who sets one up for failure is themselves. Hibbert will never become a top level player with this kind of attitude.

amos1er
05-27-2014, 05:34 PM

Wow! A Kwame Brown comparison. Geez. I don't think Hibbert deserves that. He can actually catch the ball.

Hibbert was completely overrated as was George. I have said that from the beginning of this season. I still scratch my head as to why people thought that those two could become superstars. They never had a chance at beating the Heat. No surprise here.

smith&wesson
05-27-2014, 05:55 PM
Wow! A Kwame Brown comparison. Geez. I don't think Hibbert deserves that. He can actually catch the ball.

Hibbert was completely overrated as was George. I have said that from the beginning of this season. I still scratch my head as to why people thought that those two could become superstars. They never had a chance at beating the Heat. No surprise here.

actually he does.. Hibbert is a giant. the guy towers over tim duncan. how is it possible that he cant grab 5 rebounds in over 30 minutes of playing time ?

the comparison is deserved. Hibbert is weak mentally, he loses focus and confidence every other game. dudes got all the tools, he just cant stay focused long enough, or keep enough confidence in his game to have any consistency.

Miami deserves credit because they have simply out played the pacers. But Hibbert is garbage and he is being exposed.

smith&wesson
05-27-2014, 05:56 PM
There's a new one. Blaming your coach when you go scoreless. Players these days really give the NBA a bad name when they say stupid **** like this. Whatever happened to the sentiment of one being responsible for ones own actions and that the only person who sets one up for failure is themselves. Hibbert will never become a top level player with this kind of attitude.

+1 cant agree more.

FlashBolt
05-27-2014, 06:29 PM

Agreed. Don't know why he blatantly pointed fingers toward Vogel when he has had more than one 0 point games this post season. He's just not a very good offensive player. Defensively, he'll give you trouble just because of his presence there but again, he's overrated. I don't understand how you can be 7"2, near 290 pounds, and still not be able to dominate in the paint. He's shooting below 45% and grabs 6 boards a game. So much for the "next big thing."

PurpleLynch
05-27-2014, 07:29 PM
Roy...just take those rebounds and try to defend with some hustle instead of lookin' like a bum on defense also.Then,you'll can have the ball on offense.

CHANGO
05-28-2014, 02:05 AM

This, I just came here to write this same thing. It's sad to see those Pacers players talk and blame each other, there is no camaraderie, Hibbert blaming the game plan (coach), George blaming the refs saying he thinks that they outplayed the HEAT, George throwing Stephenson under the bus saying he shouldn't talk **** and then disappear like that. Etc... It's sad to see a team with so much talent falling off like that.

MrfadeawayJB
05-28-2014, 02:13 AM
Hibbert needs to man up. Haslem, Birdman, mahimi, and many others don't have plays run for them and they at least get a garbage bucket here and there

arlubas
05-28-2014, 07:32 AM
He did but that was only against the Heat who are clearly a small ball team. He wasn't a beast during the regular season or the rest of the POs, more like his usual regular self.

The hilarious thing is that everyone tried to promote them as this family-type of team throughout the year, like everyone has each other's back and what not. After the ASG it seems like everyone can hate on the guy next to him on any given night. This team could've been a terror if they actually were that team-first squad people thought they were but not they most likely will get burned even more during the offseason.

arlubas
05-28-2014, 07:44 AM
actually he does.. Hibbert is a giant. the guy towers over tim duncan. how is it possible that he cant grab 5 rebounds in over 30 minutes of playing time ?

Hibbert averaged less than 6 rebounds throughout his college career (the whole 4 years) playing against NCAA competition. It really is no surprise that his rpg is so terrible in the NBA if you put things into context. True he is a giant but he never was actually good at crashing the boards, which I find unacceptable of course.

goku
05-28-2014, 08:33 AM
seems like yesterday ppl had him over Howard hibbert is more disappointing than Dwight with the lakers

*Superman*
05-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Sounds like a *****.

TO Rapz
05-28-2014, 11:02 AM
This is about the only 7 footer that can play entire games without getting rebounds. Lol

Primos Pasta is worse.

goku
05-28-2014, 01:46 PM
this pacers team mentally weak outside of West

P&GRealist
05-28-2014, 01:49 PM
Hibbert needs to grow a set

slashsnake
05-28-2014, 02:03 PM
Hibbert averaged less than 6 rebounds throughout his college career (the whole 4 years) playing against NCAA competition. It really is no surprise that his rpg is so terrible in the NBA if you put things into context. True he is a giant but he never was actually good at crashing the boards, which I find unacceptable of course.

But college is a different game. He was on a slow paced team with a 40 second shot clock in shorter length games. They averaged as a team about 32 boards a game. You expect your guy to get better in the NBA if he is a starter getting the minutes. 6 boards in college isn't horrible. DeAndre Jordan averaged that. Joakim Noah was 6.4 boards. Zach Randolph 6.7 David Lee 6.8. Camby 7.

Per 40 minutes, Hibbert is right there with Andre Drummond and Lamarcus Aldridge in rebounding. And his sophomore and junior years he bested about all those guys best college years in boards per 40 minutes.

Roy Hibbert in college averaged the same rebounds per minute as Reggie Evans. When I think of a guy who does one thing better than anyone in their time on the court, it is Reggie grabbing boards.

But context it is still really bad. He's 7'2" tall, in the prime of his career, getting nearly 30 minutes a game, and averaging 6.6 boards. Congrats, you just joined Luc Longley as the only other guy who could say that. EVER in the NBA. And I don't see Rodman stealing his rebounds out there.

Its the late dip that surprises me. I saw a post that Indiana is a great rebounding team. Sure it is one of their strengths this year. But the last 22 games when they started that streak of average play and Roy has been down... they were 14th in net rebounding (2nd the first 60 games of the year).

You wonder why they've struggled in the playoffs in a weak conference? They are -7 in net rebounding. Surprising since Miami is such a poor rebounding team.