PDA

View Full Version : Evaluate Royce White from a talent standpoint. Could he have been an All-Star?

shep33
05-25-2014, 02:39 AM
Was going through some old Youtube vids of Royce White at Iowa State, even some summer league games. Dude is ultra talented. 6'8 at 260 with a phenomenal skill set. Amazing passer for someone his size, good athlete, can hit a jumper. Dude seemed like the real deal.

I really hope he finds treatment that will enable him to play ball again. Severe anxiety can be crippling (experience from a family member with anxiety issues). He's still young, so I hope he gets another legit shot.

Realistically, it'll be tough for him to get back into the game, but just wanted to know how you guys viewed him from a talent level.

Kushed
05-25-2014, 02:50 AM
Could I have played in the NBA if I didn't smoke weed and eat potato chips all day in high school?

Yeah I could have. But that's not the reality. So no.

Corey
05-25-2014, 03:14 AM
No. Too much of a tweener/no distinct position. No legitimate jump shot in game situations, didn't defend screens well, struggled defending taller players in college, and a lot of his rebounding ability in college would be negated in the NBA against stronger players.

Offensively, he's unique. Good handle, good vision, can run an offense...But he had a lot of deterrents skill wise.

Boris Diaw in his Charlotte days, maybe? 12 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists? I could see that.

Mr_Jones
05-25-2014, 03:31 AM
id like to talk more about donald sterling

P&GRealist
05-25-2014, 03:33 AM
id like to talk more about donald sterling

tittays

Hellcrooner
05-25-2014, 03:40 AM
people hate him so much that you are not going to get many serious answers.
sad
but true

SMH!
05-25-2014, 04:10 AM
Think he would have been a good backup. Side note, I understand his condition and respect that, but I don't like how he came into the league knowing that this league is all about traveling.

Silent
05-25-2014, 06:09 AM
Was going through some old Youtube vids of Royce White at Iowa State, even some summer league games. Dude is ultra talented. 6'8 at 260 with a phenomenal skill set. Amazing passer for someone his size, good athlete, can hit a jumper. Dude seemed like the real deal.

I really hope he finds treatment that will enable him to play ball again. Severe anxiety can be crippling (experience from a family member with anxiety issues). He's still young, so I hope he gets another legit shot.

Realistically, it'll be tough for him to get back into the game, but just wanted to know how you guys viewed him from a talent level.

he used to be a point guard before he grew. i think he would of been a serviceable big off the bench 8 pts 6 rebs 5 assists in 18 mins of gameplay

jimm120
05-25-2014, 06:47 AM
I don't think he'll get another shot. He got 3 different shots to make it and he blew them.

And he blew them partially because of the anxiety only. The other part was that he wanted to be a spokesman/Martyr for people with anxiety disorders. And once you do that, you become like an extremist (like die hard republicans or die hard gay lesbian community or die hard PETA people)....you just get annoying and unreasonable.

Houston was willing to meet him 1/2 way because they wanted him and because they knew that it would be a unique nba story (publicity) if things worked out. Unfortunately, white wanted. Not half way, but completely on his terms. Then they DID let him have what he wanted, but by being in the d league. It was a way for him to slowly conquer his fears/get used to things. But he thought the d league too much of a demotion for him to go that first he refused and en he simply stopped showing up.

Some things are produced by the anxiety. Most of the other things I wrote about here were NOT about the anxiety.

And judging from what he did in the d league, I don't think he'd have made it rot away. Seems he needed a few years to become a solid player...like 3 years. And even then, he'd just be a solid rotation guy. Useful but that's it.

JasonJohnHorn
05-25-2014, 07:52 AM
It is hard to tell, but looking at his college stats, he was a great all-around player that could rebound well and pass the ball and was praised for his defense. He went late in the first round, but if the pick had been based exclusively on talent, he would have went around 10. He is a great talent.

I don't think he would have been as good as Pippen or LBJ, but he was in a similar mould in that he could handle the ball and rebound, and step over to the post and play a little PF, but seemed more inclined to play SF.

So, yeah, he could have been an All-Star had the situation been right, and may yet be one, though I heard after taking a year off he simply was not in basketball shape.

We'll see. I am hopeful that something will come of this yet.

goingfor28
05-25-2014, 08:01 AM
He's a *****

c.c.
05-25-2014, 08:35 AM
Waste of a Rockets asset!

Asik's better
05-25-2014, 08:53 AM
Solid bench guy. Maybe a starter on a really bad team.

MrfadeawayJB
05-25-2014, 09:37 AM
Lamar odom/Michael Beasley mixture. Too bad he can't get over his anxiety. I haven't seen him up against nba competition either, who knows he might not be that good

MrfadeawayJB
05-25-2014, 09:38 AM
Think he would have been a good backup. Side note, I understand his condition and respect that, but I don't like how he came into the league knowing that this league is all about traveling.

Easy solution. He gets 1/2 the pay and plays 1/2 the games (home games)

shep33
05-25-2014, 12:10 PM
The Diaw/Odom comparison is a good one. I'd say he could have been better because he was such a great rebounder. Dude was incredibly strong.

In really the only year that he got a chance to display his talents in college, he put up 13.4 ppg, 5 apg, 9.3 rpg and about 1 steal and 1 block on 53% shooting.

He had unbelievable court vision too... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdYRh5oEJ4U

Sucks, but he would've been a unique player.

IndyRealist
05-25-2014, 12:41 PM
It is hard to tell, but looking at his college stats, he was a great all-around player that could rebound well and pass the ball and was praised for his defense. He went late in the first round, but if the pick had been based exclusively on talent, he would have went around 10. He is a great talent.

I don't think he would have been as good as Pippen or LBJ, but he was in a similar mould in that he could handle the ball and rebound, and step over to the post and play a little PF, but seemed more inclined to play SF.

So, yeah, he could have been an All-Star had the situation been right, and may yet be one, though I heard after taking a year off he simply was not in basketball shape.

We'll see. I am hopeful that something will come of this yet.

Royce was selected 16th, not late 1st round.

And Royce was never athletic, he was just big. Part of his anxiety disorder was an aversion to cardio (saw his teammate in high school have a heart attack (stroke?) after doing wind sprints).

He was a very skilled, very out of shape big man who could do just about everything but shoot. Think Josh McRoberts without the dunking, or Phoenix Boris Diaw.

ManRam
05-25-2014, 01:05 PM
No. Too much of a tweener/no distinct position. No legitimate jump shot in game situations, didn't defend screens well, struggled defending taller players in college, and a lot of his rebounding ability in college would be negated in the NBA against stronger players.

Offensively, he's unique. Good handle, good vision, can run an offense...But he had a lot of deterrents skill wise.

Boris Diaw in his Charlotte days, maybe? 12 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists? I could see that.

6-8 with a 7 foot wingspan isn't gonna render you undersized against too many 4s these days. Defense definitely was his weakest skillset, at he did have issues against both "true" 3s and 4s, but it's also something you can teach with relative success. Things like "defending screens well" are as much a learned trait as natural ability. I think he ultimately would have been big enough and strong enough to play the 4 almost universally in today's NBA. I think he has the size. Not hyper-athletic, but certainly athletic enough.

It's much easier to find playing time for these "tweeners" these days. I don't think that word is should be thrown around with as much of a negative connotation as it once was.

b@llhog24
05-25-2014, 02:05 PM
No. But he might have been a 6MOY candidate.

JasonJohnHorn
05-25-2014, 03:42 PM
Royce was selected 16th, not late 1st round.

And Royce was never athletic, he was just big. Part of his anxiety disorder was an aversion to cardio (saw his teammate in high school have a heart attack (stroke?) after doing wind sprints).

He was a very skilled, very out of shape big man who could do just about everything but shoot. Think Josh McRoberts without the dunking, or Phoenix Boris Diaw.

Sounds like you've seen more of him than me. I'll trust you on that. Sounds like a solid analysis.

I didn't know about the cardio thing... that would explain why he wasn't in game-shape after a season off.

He can rebound and pass. You gotta like that combo in a big man.

JEDean89
05-26-2014, 12:39 AM
sad because you don't see size and strength like that, he would have been a rowdy player and the type of guy you want on your team. that being said, knowing guys with anxiety disorders, it renders them helpless in many situations and can be brought on by a variety of things. i'm not sure if nba teams have the patience to deal with the type of attention this guy needs. he is clearly an extremely high maintenance dude, i wouldn't want that as a GM because it would create a distraction.

arlubas
05-26-2014, 09:03 AM
Having watched Royce a bit during his college days I'll have to disagree with the ones here saying he was bound to be a big player in the league. The PHX Boris Diaw comparison is probably the best one, the Odom one has some basis but Lamar was more athletic and big than him which automatically made him a better rebounder and athlete in general. In essence White was a point forward with a mediocre passion for the game, a body that wasn't athletic enough for the 3 spot in the NBA and really not starting position material, both as a player and as a mindset.

Could he have been one of the best SFs in the league? Probably so. But that would involve him not being who he is in terms of personality and way of thinking so that's a pretty huge if. IMO he would probably ammount to a 6th man type or a starter on a tanking team. He just didn't want it bad enough and that's not based just on how he handled the whole thing with the Rockets (complete cry baby/attention seeker) but also the way he treated his body and didn't work on his conditioning as much as he should have.

Munkeysuit
05-26-2014, 09:39 AM
I have seen a few of his college games and he was pretty dam good, its a dam shame he can't get through this psychological impairment of his, I don't think he's All Star caliber, but he can definitely makes some noise, the guy rebounds well, he has size and he can handle the ball! I have seen some impressive coast to coast action from him when he was playing pre season, and the guy has some game for reals.

Someone mentioned Diaw, I think that is spot on, he is definitely a Diaw type, when Boris was in PHO anyways.

beasted86
05-26-2014, 10:27 AM
He would never be an all-star, just look at his work ethic and physique. Always sort of pudgy out of shape build. You pair that with being a tweener and the anxiety issues, and this was a train wreck waiting to happen. Throughout the whole stand off process he didn't stay in shape. I think that says enough there. If you are serious about playing then you stay in shape and ready, while you let your agent handle the travel/team issues. With whoever or wherever your agent is able to get you play time you would be ready and able to play if you were really serious about this as a profession and wanting to succeed at an elite level in the NBA. Seemed to spend more time tweeting and doing interviews than training and developing a jumpshot.

NYKNYGNYY
05-26-2014, 10:47 AM
no one will ever know /thread

IndyRealist
05-26-2014, 12:40 PM
He would never be an all-star, just look at his work ethic and physique. Always sort of pudgy out of shape build. You pair that with being a tweener and the anxiety issues, and this was a train wreck waiting to happen. Throughout the whole stand off process he didn't stay in shape. I think that says enough there. If you are serious about playing then you stay in shape and ready, while you let your agent handle the travel/team issues. With whoever or wherever your agent is able to get you play time you would be ready and able to play if you were really serious about this as a profession and wanting to succeed at an elite level in the NBA. Seemed to spend more time tweeting and doing interviews than training and developing a jumpshot.

Charles Barkley, Vin Baker, and Zach Randolph say hi.

Vinylman
05-26-2014, 12:48 PM
who cares...

he will probably be dead in 5 years ...

kenzo400
05-26-2014, 01:28 PM
Weird how he doesn't have any anxiety about having 5 children with 4 different women. I guess its only an issue when it comes to worrying about himself.

kozelkid
05-26-2014, 02:25 PM
Could I have played in the NBA if I didn't smoke weed and eat potato chips all day in high school?

Yeah I could have. But that's not the reality. So no.

Huh? Somehow I REALLY doubt that the only thing holding you back from playing in the NBA was pot and potato chips.

NoahH
05-26-2014, 06:00 PM
Beasley
Royce White
Shaun Livingston
Oden
Len Bias

all What ifs...

sep11ie
05-26-2014, 06:23 PM
He's a con artist. Screw that POS.

Corey
05-26-2014, 11:10 PM
It's much easier to find playing time for these "tweeners" these days. I don't think that word is should be thrown around with as much of a negative connotation as it once was.

Find minutes, sure. The thread was asking 'could have been an all star' though, and I use his size / play style / slow feet / poor defensive instinct as reasons for me saying no to that possibility. Oh, and he shot under 50% from the line...Do you want that out of your 4? For someone that's expected to have the ball in his hands a lot, running the offense from the 3/4 with a scoring PG...Wouldn't you worry about that number, especially at the end of games? I dunno.

I agree with you about tweeners, especially those with length, but I never really saw an NBA starter in Royce.

How do you like Kyle Anderson? He's 6'8.5, very similar skill set, bigger wingspan, better shooting numbers...Might not even be a top 20 pick.

arlubas
05-27-2014, 05:57 AM
Charles Barkley, Vin Baker, and Zach Randolph say hi.
Last time I checked Royce White wasn't a freak of nature, a 6'11" guy nor one of the strongest players in the league.