PDA

View Full Version : If Lbj... Sign & trade ... Cav's - HEAT

Dade County
05-24-2014, 03:15 PM
What if Lbj tells his agent/(and Pat Riley), he wants to go to the Cav's but, he wants to do it via sign & trade (max money, extra year). We know that Pat will ask for the number 1 pick.

How do you feel the media & fans would react to this?

One side of it is that, everyone would say that Lbj is putting the Cav's in a bad position, because he wants Max money (and he didn't go after the full Max with the HEAT). Lbj might stress that he wants that extra year a sign & trade gets you (you security, my kids have to eat....lmao).

The other side of it is that, most objective fans would always want a fair trade to go down. And of course no one can deny trading the number 1 pick for Lbj is a steal for the team getting Lbj.

But would the so called objective fan see it that way (a fair trade)... ? I feel that most fans of the NBA have a little animosity towards the HEAT and their fan base.

So if Lbj did make it play out this way, (Cav's, HEAT sign & trade), how would most of you respond to this?

I forgot about the new CBA sign & trade rule...

Under previous CBAs a player who qualified could receive a full Bird contract and go to the team of his choice, which encouraged the player to seek a sign-and-trade once he decided to play elsewhere. Under the current CBA a player receives the same contract via sign-and-trade (four years, 4.5% raises) that he could get by signing with his new team directly, and can receive a larger Bird contract only if he stays with his previous team. In addition, it is much simpler for the player to sign directly with his new team, as a sign-and-trade has to be agreed to by three parties rather than two. A player is really only forced to seek a sign-and-trade if he wants to go to a team that is capped-out (or doesn't have enough cap room to give the player his full starting salary) and can't sign him directly.

But for whatever reason, if it did go down (Lbj being treaded to the Cav's for the number 1 pick... How would you feel?)

Just trying to see how people would react towards this, nothing more.

Pablonovi
05-24-2014, 03:23 PM
You need to expand your POLL options to include a more-realistic trade in which the Cavs have to give up (a lot) more than just a #1. Otherwise, I can't choose any of the three options.

Lbj would be in a lose, lose situation (media/fan base wise) [I don't agree at all]
I would hate Lbj even more [Never had any good reason to hate him; unlikely I ever will.]
Fair trade, nothing wrong with it [Definitely NOT a fair trade as it is; Cavs gotta give MUCH more.]

I believe there's an excellent chance that IF LeBron does NOT get seriously injured; he'll rack up 5 near-MVP years, at least a Chip or two more, and end up being universally acknowledged as
THE NBA GOAT, #1 All-Time Best (Career) Player

For such, the Cavs (or anybody else) will have to go DEEP, perhaps not-quite gutting their team.

P&GRealist
05-24-2014, 03:25 PM
If LeBron goes back to Cleveland...

NBA = Rigged

NBA = Entertainment

NBA = Tittays

Kaner
05-24-2014, 03:27 PM
I'd feel like the Cavs were stupid for trading away the #1...

If Lebron wants to comes to the Cavs then they should offer the same deal that the Heat did, which I think was like a future 1st and 2nd nothing close to the value of a #1 overall pick

BullsNumber1Fan
05-24-2014, 03:28 PM
You don't get that extra year in S&T's any more. They took that out in the new CBA. The max in a S&T is the same exact max as signing with the Cavs outright.

Pablonovi
05-24-2014, 03:29 PM
If LeBron goes back to Cleveland...

NBA = Rigged

NBA = Entertainment

NBA = Tittays

Hey P&GR,
I'm all for Entertainment & Tittays; but
Why/how would LBJ going back to Cleveland make the NBA "Rigged"?
Oh wait, because of the 3 #1s in 4 years?

P&GRealist
05-24-2014, 03:31 PM
Hey P&GR,

Just simply expressing the OP's sentiments.

WITZ
05-24-2014, 03:38 PM
:laugh: Yup trade the 1st pick in deepest draft in recent memory or wait a few months for him to opt out IF he truly wants to come back hard decision.

Dade County
05-24-2014, 03:40 PM
I'd feel like the Cavs were stupid for trading away the #1...

If Lebron wants to comes to the Cavs then they should offer the same deal that the Heat did, which I think was like a future 1st and 2nd nothing close to the value of a #1 overall pick

That would be funny...lol (but stuff like that really doesn't happen to Riley)

So you feel that Lbj isn't worth the number 1 pick right?

You don't get that extra year in S&T's any more. They took that out in the new CBA. The max in a S&T is the same exact max as signing with the Cavs outright.

I forgot... You are absolutely right. End thread...lmao lol

Hey P&GR,

He wrote that because he knows that I feel that the NBA is rigged.

He's just having fun.

Pablonovi
05-24-2014, 03:47 PM
That would be funny...lol (but stuff like that really doesn't happen to Riley)

So you feel that Lbj isn't worth the number 1 pick right?

I forgot... You are absolutely right. End thread...lmao lol

He wrote that because he knows that I feel that the NBA is rigged.

He's just having fun.

Hey DC,
Don't you think he's having entirely too much fun???
Got Tittays on the mind in a BIG b00bs way.

Phenomenonsense
05-24-2014, 03:47 PM
Why would lebron Sign and trade to Cle? Why wouldn't he just sign there and keep all the talent intact?

Dade County
05-24-2014, 03:55 PM
Why would lebron Sign and trade to Cle? Why wouldn't he just sign there and keep all the talent intact?

Yeah, I forgot about the new CBA sign & trade rule.

You don't get that extra year anymore, so yeah.

I was just trying to see, how would Lbj be judged if he would do something like that.

KobeOwnSU
05-24-2014, 04:38 PM
I don't think he would get much of any backlash from fans (outside of Miami) if he did opt out and go to Cleveland because fans love a comeback story. It would be the ultimate, LeBron goes back to accomplish what he originally set out to do (bring a championship to Cleveland) and I think more fans would be ready to celebrate LeBron for that.

Riodagoat
05-24-2014, 04:46 PM
People love happy endings. Barring any stupid events (like a Decision Part 2), if he goes back to Cleveland and ends up winning a championship there, I think that that would be celebrated even more than his first ring.

However, if he does end up going to Cleveland, I don't think he would do a S&T like what he did when he went to Miami. He's already proven that he is willing to give up money(yes, even if it's 30 mil) and I dont understand why he would opt to gut out a team where he's going to go. He would be better off just being a FA and sign with them straight up.

abe_froman
05-24-2014, 04:52 PM
they wouldnt trade number 1 for lebron

P&GRealist
05-24-2014, 05:49 PM
Hey DC,
Don't you think he's having entirely too much fun???
Got Tittays on the mind in a BIG b00bs way.

:)

Pablonovi
05-24-2014, 06:23 PM
they wouldnt trade number 1 for lebron

Hey abe_froman,
Unless they are pretty sure they can get him "cheap"; why wouldn't they do that. He's worth far more than a #1. The fact that this draft is one of the deepest ever, and could prove out to be THE greatest ever; doesn't necessarily argue in favor of any one of the top guys being another LeBron, exactly because all of them are coming in together - tending to divide up any potential dominance, thus lessening any one's chance to outshine the others big enough to affect long-term "Greatness" estimates.

And it will probably take 2-3 years before any greatness proves out. Meanwhile, LeBron is a proven commodity; and could very well still have some 5 more great years. What's that worth? (Heck of a lot more than one #1, no?)

True Sports Fan
05-24-2014, 07:58 PM
LeBron traded for future first.

Miami pick they traded Cleveland wins first pick.

#Conspiracy

abe_froman
05-24-2014, 08:04 PM
Hey abe_froman,
Unless they are pretty sure they can get him "cheap"; why wouldn't they do that. He's worth far more than a #1. The fact that this draft is one of the deepest ever, and could prove out to be THE greatest ever; doesn't necessarily argue in favor of any one of the top guys being another LeBron, exactly because all of them are coming in together - tending to divide up any potential dominance, thus lessening any one's chance to outshine the others big enough to affect long-term "Greatness" estimates.

And it will probably take 2-3 years before any greatness proves out. Meanwhile, LeBron is a proven commodity; and could very well still have some 5 more great years. What's that worth? (Heck of a lot more than one #1, no?)
cavs have the capspace to just sign him outright and i cant see lebron wanting the extra year over what they can get with pick 1(if he's coming back its to play with irving and emiid/wiggins or irving/love,not just irving alone)....and while i have no doubt they love to have him back,the sentimentally they have for him was lost by him leaving,enough of it to not pull something stupid like doing that when they dont have to

Bruno
05-24-2014, 08:16 PM
i don't think LBJ goes back to Cleveland if they have to give up a major asset to get him. the current draw for Cleveland is that if they use their pick to bring in another star next to Kyrie, LBJ will be more included to just opt out and outright sigh with Cleveland. LBJ could ride a four year deal and still get another full max at 33 years old. Cleveland doesn't trade that pick for James, they use it to build a compatible team with two stars then sign LBJ outright. i don't see LBJ leaving south beach and pat riley for a Cavs team that has to use their most valuable asset to obtain him.

it kills me that Cleveland won that pick. but now theres so much they can do with it.

Cal827
05-24-2014, 08:18 PM
Cavs-Heat pull off the S/T of Lebron for the first pick.

Heat Pick Embid first overall.

Gilbert learns just before free agency starts that Lebron James signed the max contract under Eddy Curry's name.

Lebron hits Free Agency Again.

Lebron Goes back to Miami, who now has the next season line-up of.

Chalmers
Wade
Lebron
Bosh
Embid

Gilbert sends another angry letter, saying that Eddy Curry will take them to the Promise Land before Lebron gets there again.

ECF next season, Miami Heat vs the MVP Eddy Curry's Cavs.

Refs Rig the games so both teams lose somehow.

Then finally, just slap some tittays over that (Which PG Realist would be more than ready to)

Cal827
05-24-2014, 08:26 PM
Probably bad for LBJ in the media/fan base.

Media will accuse him of not willing to stay with a team and try and build a champion from within (not willing to stay around during a team's struggles).... similar to a situation of KG in Minny(as he stayed with Minnesota for what many of us think was way too long, in the hopes that the team would eventually become a title contender). They'll ignore the 7 years he spent with Cleveland trying to build them up to a champion (as he is rising into a likely top 5 player of all time).

Fan Wise would be the same.... he now refuses to stay with a team through what could be a bad season (Miami would likely need reshuffling in order to win a title next year too). A ring chaser who is going for it too early in the eyes of many fans to be forgiven, unlike some guys who tried to do it, like Malone and Payton (although in the end, it's his decision, but again... fans aren't exactly rational lol)

ManRam
05-24-2014, 08:27 PM
I just can't imagine LeBron, if he did want to go there, wanting Cleveland to have to give up something valuable to get him. I understand he'd lose a decent chunk of money, but still. And especially the extra year - that's a non-factor.

P&GRealist
05-24-2014, 08:32 PM
Cavs-Heat pull off the S/T of Lebron for the first pick.

Heat Pick Embid first overall.

Gilbert learns just before free agency starts that Lebron James signed the max contract under Eddy Curry's name.

Lebron hits Free Agency Again.

Lebron Goes back to Miami, who now has the next season line-up of.

Chalmers
Wade
Lebron
Bosh
Embid

Gilbert sends another angry letter, saying that Eddy Curry will take them to the Promise Land before Lebron gets there again.

ECF next season, Miami Heat vs the MVP Eddy Curry's Cavs.

Refs Rig the games so both teams lose somehow.

Then finally, just slap some tittays over that (Which PG Realist would be more than ready to)

In the words of Daniel Bryan

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

:dance:

Pablonovi
05-25-2014, 12:48 AM
I just want to thank:
abe_goldman, particularly in Post #19, *
Bruno , particularly in Post #20, *
the ManRammer, particular in Post #23 *

for putting up with ME, and finally getting the damned point thru my thick skull.
DUH,Why would LeBron hurt the team he's joining by forcing them Cavs to give up more-than-absolutely necessary?

* I'd of sliced-and-diced, I mean: copied & pasted your post here: but I can't figure bleep about how to do that for more than one post at a time. My bad, thick skull and all!