PDA

View Full Version : Barkley says he wants to be a GM

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-23-2014, 03:32 PM
I think people know I wanna be a GM and Iím going to be a GM.

You know, I got two years left on my television deal and I told TNT that Iím probably gonna let it go after two years. Not that I donít love my job, I got the best job, I just think 17 years is long enough to do anything, to be honest with you.

You know, when I took the job, I told them I was gonna do it for four years. Iím in year 15 now. And I think 17 years is long enough to do this job. I love TNT, love working with Ernie, Kenny and Shaq. I donít have a Plan B, I wanna be a GM, Iíve made that perfectly clear.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/charles-barkley-ill-be-a-gm-when-tnt-deal-ends.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=charles-barkley-ill-be-a-gm-when-tnt-deal-ends

Ebbs
05-23-2014, 03:34 PM
Interesting. Will find real quick if he knows anything when that days rolls around.

If the Philly rebuild goes poorly... I could see that as a potential landing spot.

chitown85
05-23-2014, 03:39 PM
LMFAO; turrible...Sir Charles a GM..."Anything less is uncivlized!"---okay,_not likely.

Tony_Starks
05-23-2014, 03:45 PM
He would do a better job than half these geeks running teams now.

HuRRiCaNeS324
05-23-2014, 04:03 PM
If this happens...smh

Barkley is a ****ing moron, there are a million people more qualified to be a GM than him.

ghettosean
05-23-2014, 04:13 PM
:yawn:

He's said this before but unfortunately no one is going to hire him nor do I think he would make a great GM anyways he's doing great keeping TNT together even with Shaq ruining *****... He should stick to his day job.

Bostonjorge
05-23-2014, 04:24 PM
He can't ruin the best show on television.

king4day
05-23-2014, 04:25 PM
Suns fans wanted him a few years ago but that's when we hired Blanks if I'm not mistaken. It may have been even further back when we hired Kerr, I forget. He's been talking about GM'ing for a while though. He yaps a lot but I wonder if he can walk the walk.

Sadds The Gr8
05-23-2014, 04:25 PM
love Chuck but I think he'd be horrible. With all the analytic-pro ppl in front offices (Barkley doesn't care for analytics) I highly doubt he gets a gm job anyways. Maybe 10 years ago I'd see this happening for him but not now.

P&GRealist
05-23-2014, 04:27 PM
Anyone know if Allen Iverson's son is eligible for the draft? :shrug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XixBwzJ4KTk

Bostonjorge
05-23-2014, 04:38 PM
He can't ruin the best show on television.

bleedprple&gold
05-23-2014, 06:23 PM
Ok now he just needs to find someone dumb enough to hire him.

P&GRealist
05-23-2014, 06:32 PM
Ok now he just needs to find someone dumb enough to hire him.

Dan Gilbert?

PurpleLynch
05-23-2014, 06:51 PM
He just doesn't fit the GM role imo. Not gonna happen now,maybe one day,but you have to find a crazy owner to try that.

kozelkid
05-23-2014, 06:56 PM
He has shown numerous occasions that he lacks the intelligence, work ethic, and open-mindedness to succeed as a gm. Stick to TNT, Chuck. You somehow managed to get paid a ridiculous amount without doing any sort of work and even openly sleeping on the job.

Shammyguy3
05-23-2014, 07:34 PM
He would get torn up the butt on trades. I guarantee the second gets hired, then Stan Van Gundy trades him Josh Smith for a 1st round pick and a solid stretch 4

Sofnr
05-23-2014, 07:47 PM
He has shown numerous occasions that he lacks the intelligence, work ethic, and open-mindedness to succeed as a gm. Stick to TNT, Chuck. You somehow managed to get paid a ridiculous amount without doing any sort of work and even openly sleeping on the job.

This. It's not new. He's wanted to be a gm for years. He's not qualified. He's good at second guessing current gm's way after the fact. I'm sure he thinks that qualifies him to be a gm. I can't imagine anybody will ever be dumb enough to hire him.

mdm692
05-23-2014, 08:00 PM
Not hating on OP but this is not news anymore. He says this every year and hopes someone listens.

PraiseJesus
05-23-2014, 08:14 PM
might be worst gm ever

Crackadalic
05-23-2014, 08:19 PM
lmfao no just no. I rather have Isiah come back as GM then this guy. Just no

abe_froman
05-23-2014, 08:23 PM
thats one way to sink a franchise

mike_noodles
05-23-2014, 08:32 PM
I don't picture this going well for Sir Charles.

Cal827
05-23-2014, 08:39 PM
lmfao no just no. I rather have Isiah come back as GM then this guy. Just no

:laugh:

I would rather have James Dolan and Rob Babcock co-GM a team than Barkley.

But I definitely think he should apply for San Antonio's future GM, just for the hell of it.

astonmartin10
05-23-2014, 08:44 PM
No way TNT let's him walk after his contract ends. They going throw money at him that he can't refuse.

Tmath
05-23-2014, 08:52 PM
The conversations he'd have with other GM's for trades would be hilarious.

Tony_Starks
05-23-2014, 09:07 PM
If incompetent David Kahn and Joe Dumars could be GMs for several years then Barkley could very well be GM of the year!

Mochalman
05-24-2014, 07:16 AM
I feel like this story pops up every year.

DallasTrilla23
05-24-2014, 09:28 AM

I would rather have James Dolan and Rob Babcock co-GM a team than Barkley.

But I definitely think he should apply for San Antonio's future GM, just for the hell of it.

I don't think you know what your saying. Dolan gave up a first for Bargniani..

BKLYNpigeon
05-24-2014, 09:43 AM
Barkeley actually understands the game pretty well. He may sound like a clown on TNT, but its just entertainment. He puts together a pretty solid team when him and shaw do the Rookie All Star game.

He's been involved in the NBA for years and knows everyone. He also does the NCAA final four so he's somewhat familiar with the incoming rookies. I think he would be a good negotiator lol.

I'm pretty sure he will build a team exactly like the Memphis Grizzlies.

Cal827
05-24-2014, 10:34 AM
I don't think you know what your saying. Dolan gave up a first for Bargniani..

And Babcock traded away our franchise face to a division rival for Eric Williams, Aaron Williams, and a pick that ended up being Joey Graham :facepalm:

Tony_Starks
05-24-2014, 05:24 PM
Barkeley actually understands the game pretty well. He may sound like a clown on TNT, but its just entertainment. He puts together a pretty solid team when him and shaw do the Rookie All Star game.

He's been involved in the NBA for years and knows everyone. He also does the NCAA final four so he's somewhat familiar with the incoming rookies. I think he would be a good negotiator lol.

I'm pretty sure he will build a team exactly like the Memphis Grizzlies.

This is true. I think people are confusing his antics on TNT with actual knowledge of the game. He's actually very knowledgable and knows the basic fundamentals of team building which a lot of GMs these days don't.

lajoie
05-24-2014, 05:53 PM
This is true. I think people are confusing his antics on TNT with actual knowledge of the game. He's actually very knowledgable and knows the basic fundamentals of team building which a lot of GMs these days don't.

He picked Allen Iverson first overall in the greatest players of all time draft.

And I wouldn't actually use the rookie all star draft as a barometer of how good a general manager is going to be.

Corey
05-24-2014, 06:07 PM
People mistake Barkley's TV personality for his basketball IQ.

He's said many times he's just on TV to have fun.