PDA

View Full Version : DTS Agreed to Allow Sale of Clippers

goingfor28
05-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Donald Sterling has agreed to let wife Shelly Sterling negotiate the sale of the Clippers, a source tells Ramona Shelburne of ESPNLosAngeles.com (Twitter link). The NBA hasn’t approved the arrangement yet, Shelburne adds (on*Twitter). The league won’t consider the Sterlings’ proposal unless they divest themselves of 100% of their ownership of the club, according to Shelburne.*TMZ first reported*that Donald Sterling was putting the future of the Clippers in his wife’s hands.

The news is a startling turn, given the widespread assumption that Donald Sterling would put up a strong legal fight to retain the team as the NBA looked to strip it from him. The TMZ report suggests that Shelly Sterling still intends to sue if the league attempts to conduct the sale itself rather than allow her to run it, but it nonetheless is the first indication that the Sterlings are resigned to losing the team.

Commissioner Adam Silver*banned*Sterling for life late last month after determining that he made several racially charged comments on an audio recording. The Board of Governors is set to*vote June 3rd*to terminate his ownership, and the league*maintains*that would apply to Shelly Sterling as well. The Sterlings own the Clippers jointly as part of a family trust.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/05/donald-sterling-sell-clippers.html

Did not see this coming. Good news for the Clippers and the NBA though.

Chronz
05-23-2014, 11:34 AM
This would have been more helpful a week ago but OK, hopefully the turd stain can wash away now, in time for free agency at least.

cooters22
05-23-2014, 11:57 AM
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/05/donald-sterling-sell-clippers.html

Did not see this coming. Good news for the Clippers and the NBA though.

Is it still good for the Clippers considering one of the groups that wants to purchase it is from Seattle?

goingfor28
05-23-2014, 12:20 PM
Is it still good for the Clippers considering one of the groups that wants to purchase it is from Seattle?

Yes. They arent moving

Sly Guy
05-23-2014, 12:21 PM
He's probably been convinced that a protracted court battle will likely hurt his public image too much, and thus hurt his other investments.

Iron24th
05-23-2014, 12:27 PM
Haha you should have shut your mouth donald!

Method28
05-23-2014, 12:31 PM
Idk. Seems a bit odd to me. Shelly smells fishy.

Crackadalic
05-23-2014, 12:32 PM
Well that was quick. The fact he is doing this proves he knows it's not worth it going to court for

Tony_Starks
05-23-2014, 12:39 PM
Donald Sterling loves his money. He probably had a rare moment of clarity and figured out he was about to blow millions in attorney fees and still lose.

goingfor28
05-23-2014, 12:39 PM
Shelly smells fishy.

How do you know :eyebrow: lol

Method28
05-23-2014, 12:47 PM
Shelly smells fishy.

How do you know :eyebrow: lol

Had to lay the pipe bro. Bang some sense into her. For the team! Go Clips!

chitown85
05-23-2014, 12:49 PM
Donald Sterling loves his money. He probably had a rare moment of clarity and figured out he was about to blow millions in attorney fees and still lose.

This. Good for the Clippers, the NBA, and PSD. Hope the sale is fast and he disappears from the spotlight very soon (and anybody directly/remotely connected to him).

abe_froman
05-23-2014, 01:16 PM
league has final approval over who they sell it to and you cant move a team without league approval,so the odds of both things happening and moving to seattle is about the same as i have of getting a bj from kate upton

torocan
05-23-2014, 01:34 PM
That moment when you realize when not only are you in a losing battle, but that fighting will not only cost you a lot of time and money but will make your terrible reputation even worse.

Of course, this could just be a stalling tactic to avoid the actual vote. However, it wouldn't be entirely surprising if the humungous amounts of money involved in a potential sale was swaying the Sterlings as well.

We'll see how this plays out...

MrfadeawayJB
05-23-2014, 01:37 PM
Finally we can stop talking about this

grandsalami
05-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Woooooooooo

P&GRealist
05-23-2014, 01:51 PM
Good!

torocan
05-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Might be too early to celebrate.

Per USA Today...

There are contingencies in the agreement, a second person with direct knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports. Shelly Sterling has agreed to sell the team as long as she retains a minority interest in the Clippers, according to the second person, who also requested anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the negotiations.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/clippers/2014/05/23/donald-sterling-shelly-sterling-agree-to-sell-clippers/9485681/

Doesn't sound like Shelley is really changing her position, she still wants to retain some interest in the Clippers. I don't see the NBA agreeing to this at this point. I suspect the vote will go as scheduled.

We'll see I guess...

Pablonovi
05-23-2014, 02:04 PM
My initial thoughts:
1) Great for the Clips, NBA and all pro b-ball fans (as well as all those in favor of justice and against racism)

2) The Sterlings are going to make $ hand-over-fish if they sell; it's all win-win for them now (the longer it might drag out, the less win-win it would get for them).

3) I bet if the Sterlings try anything other than straight-out sell; it'll rip the Clippers Org and Team apart. If this were to drag out into the late summer; and I WERE a Clips player - I'd see legal re-course to switch teams; and this'd have a snowball effect - crippling the team and absolutely gutting its price tag to boot.

4) SEATTLE GROUP. I have no strong interest in the Clips one way or the other. My "horse" has been the Lakers for 55 years. Never lived in L.A.; though yes in San Diego for 40 years. As long as the Clips don't hurt the Lakers chances for wins and Chips; I'm all in favor of a second L.A. team doing great. OTOH, L.A. having TWO teams while Seattle has none (what with the Seattle-ites being great fans); I'd favor the Clips being moved to Seattle strictly out of fairness; ESPECIALLY if the NBA OTHERWISE is gonna take a long time, if ever, to put a team there.

P&GRealist
05-23-2014, 02:15 PM
Shelly Sterling should go eat some dick. Fack that beyatch!

torocan
05-23-2014, 03:44 PM
Well, the NBA shot that down pretty fast...

NBA issues statement on Sterling surrendering ownership

Official release
Posted May 23, 2014 1:47 PM

NEW YORK -- In response to reports about Donald Sterling surrendering controlling ownership of the Los Angeles Clippers, NBA spokesman Mike Bass stated:

"We continue to follow the process set forth in the NBA Constitution regarding termination of the current ownership interests in the Los Angeles Clippers and are proceeding toward a hearing on this matter on June 3."

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/05/23/nba-response-to-sterling-surrender/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts

Pablonovi
05-23-2014, 04:32 PM

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/05/23/nba-response-to-sterling-surrender/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts

Hey torocan,
Thanx for the update.
Which reminds me: I believe this Sterling fiasco has been THE one instance where the Players have been holding the big hand. IF Silver hadn't spoken so fast and decisively, we might not have had the Play Offs; because the players were ready to insist on the Right Thing.

I don't think that has changed one bit: if the NBA owners don't get this done ASAP; next season could be in jeopardy. They will get it done. "The Whole World Is Watching !" (Chicago (Transit Authority))

btw, regardless of Sterling having done worse things (true enough) AND the NBA owners AND players NOT having acted as they should have earlier; does NOT change the fact that, "better late than never"; that last mistake of his serves perfectly well to right the historic wrongs he's been guilty of.

Cracka2HI!
05-23-2014, 06:39 PM

Not really Sterling is basically saying he's going to agree with their decision on June 3rd.

This is a great day for Clipper fans! Not sure if this scandle cost us the season but at least it won't cost us anything in the future. In fact that dog crap owner can never cost us anything again. Even further than that we will probably end up with a top notch ownership group. Haven't been this happy to be a Clipper fan since we got the Ping Pong pall that was Blake Griffin! It has been a new era for Clippers fans for 3 years now. I think most of us thought this was a one time thing with a 2-3 year window(that started this year). Now we are moving on to an even greater era! So happy. Thank you Donald Sterling...NOW...I can forgive you.

Pablonovi
05-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Not really Sterling is basically saying he's going to agree with their decision on June 3rd.

This is a great day for Clipper fans! Not sure if this scandle cost us the season but at least it won't cost us anything in the future. In fact that dog crap owner can never cost us anything again. Even further than that we will probably end up with a top notch ownership group. Haven't been this happy to be a Clipper fan since we got the Ping Pong pall that was Blake Griffin! It has been a new era for Clippers fans for 3 years now. I think most of us thought this was a one time thing with a 2-3 year window(that started this year). Now we are moving on to an even greater era! So happy. Thank you Donald Sterling...NOW...I can forgive you.

Hey YouKnowYou'reMyCracka2HI!,
How long you been a Clips fan?

P.S. I'd wait until the a-hole "cashes his check" from the final sale of the team, before considering forgiving him.

Crackadalic
05-24-2014, 04:26 AM
They need to hurry this up

Pablonovi
05-24-2014, 11:49 AM
this could just be a stalling tactic to avoid the actual vote.http://isoftwaresale.com/5ce6.jpg

Hey mayhughdi,
Your LINK didn't work for me.

Tony_Starks
05-24-2014, 03:33 PM
Regardless of what schemes the Sterlings come up with it the vote is going down regardless. At that point they're officially out. From there Mrs Sterling can either cooperate with the league or they can just seize the team, sell it, and give them the proceeds.

Basically any way you slice it they're out it just depends how much of a spectacle they want to continue to make of themselves in the process.....

Pablonovi
05-24-2014, 03:43 PM
Regardless of what schemes the Sterlings come up with it the vote is going down regardless. At that point they're officially out. From there Mrs Sterling can either cooperate with the league or they can just seize the team, sell it, and give them the proceeds.

Basically any way you slice it they're out it just depends how much of a spectacle they want to continue to make of themselves in the process.....

Key Tony_Starks,
I hope you're right. otoh, when things get deep into the legal system; justice is NOT always served, no?

hugepatsfan
05-24-2014, 03:59 PM
Hey torocan,
Thanx for the update.
Which reminds me: I believe this Sterling fiasco has been THE one instance where the Players have been holding the big hand. IF Silver hadn't spoken so fast and decisively, we might not have had the Play Offs; because the players were ready to insist on the Right Thing.

I don't think that has changed one bit: if the NBA owners don't get this done ASAP; next season could be in jeopardy. They will get it done. "The Whole World Is Watching !" (Chicago (Transit Authority))

btw, regardless of Sterling having done worse things (true enough) AND the NBA owners AND players NOT having acted as they should have earlier; does NOT change the fact that, "better late than never"; that last mistake of his serves perfectly well to right the historic wrongs he's been guilty of.

There has never been any way that the NBA could have taken Sterling out before this. He's shown himself to be a horrible human being before but that's not legal cause to force him to sell. He has never been convicted of anything in a court of law (settled one housing discrimination suit out of court and was found innocent in another one). There was no public backlash against him that had sponsors dropping out and the players didn't take a stance against him either. The NBA could have taken a stronger stance against his character so in that sense you're right but there was no way they could have gotten him out. The only reason they can do it this time is because of the sponsors dropping their affiliation with the Clippers/NBA and the players threatening to boycott. They can't kick him out for having racist views but they can kick him out for threatening the league's ability to operate and make money.

hugepatsfan
05-24-2014, 04:01 PM

I'm really not sure they can legally force Shelly to sell her share. I think if that ever went to court she has a good case to win. I think because of the last point you made about how it would really drag their names through the mud it would be wise for her to just sell her share and take the money. But if she does decide to fight it I think there's a good case for her to win.

Tony_Starks
05-24-2014, 05:15 PM
I'm really not sure they can legally force Shelly to sell her share. I think if that ever went to court she has a good case to win. I think because of the last point you made about how it would really drag their names through the mud it would be wise for her to just sell her share and take the money. But if she does decide to fight it I think there's a good case for her to win.

Well she can drag the process out longer but I think ultimately she loses. When it comes to a legal battle the NBA has unlimited resources, plus they can always argue that shes still technically married to DS so her having interest in the team would still allow him to be defacto owner.

At the end of the day once reality sets in l can't see either one of them wanting to waste all that money and lose future business partners when you can just take a billion and have a nice day. They're actually saying now the Clippers could sell for closer to 2 billion so them screwing around is just hurting their own profit.

Pablonovi
05-24-2014, 06:17 PM
Well she can drag the process out longer but I think ultimately she loses. When it comes to a legal battle the NBA has unlimited resources, plus they can always argue that shes still technically married to DS so her having interest in the team would still allow him to be defacto owner.

At the end of the day once reality sets in l can't see either one of them wanting to waste all that money and lose future business partners when you can just take a billion and have a nice day. They're actually saying now the Clippers could sell for closer to 2 billion so them screwing around is just hurting their own profit.

Hey Tony_Starks,
I have this picture in my mind that, were they/she to fight this; for each month (maybe even more rapidly), it'd easily cost a cool $100+ million - how could that be worth it?

Tony_Starks
05-24-2014, 07:44 PM
Hey Tony_Starks,
I have this picture in my mind that, were they/she to fight this; for each month (maybe even more rapidly), it'd easily cost a cool $100+ million - how could that be worth it?

Exactly. It's like how much is spite worth to you?

The crazy part is the wife could've just kept playing the innocent routine, got paid, and quietly faded into the background. Maybe even still be allowed to associate with the league in some form or fashion when it all blows over.

Now if she keeps playing hardball she'll only open herself up for more scrutiny and pretty soon she'll be persona non grata like Donald.

ewing
05-25-2014, 02:34 AM
oh yeah, how much?

Clippersfan86
05-27-2014, 01:04 AM
oh yeah, how much?

The latest estimates say 1.5+ BILLION. Wowzers. Bill Simmons reported that his sources said it will start around 1.8 billion. Already 6 billionaires are apparently ready for a bid war behind the scenes. Shelly Sterling has met with a couple of them.

This would be the most expensive sports team purchase of any sport ever according to ESPN. Considering the Clippers history and being cellar dwellers until 3 years ago, this is amazing.

Pablonovi
05-27-2014, 01:27 PM
The latest estimates say 1.5+ BILLION. Wowzers. Bill Simmons reported that his sources said it will start around 1.8 billion. Already 6 billionaires are apparently ready for a bid war behind the scenes. Shelly Sterling has met with a couple of them.

This would be the most expensive sports team purchase of any sport ever according to ESPN. Considering the Clippers history and being cellar dwellers until 3 years ago, this is amazing.

Hey Clippersfan86,
Thanx for this info.

Anybody remember how much the NBA Owners "cried" about losing money (they swore this was true, endlessly)? It SEVERLY negatively affected NBA Players side in the Owners-Players negotiations because the Owners had won massive public support with this (what they knew completely) was a bald-faced lie.

LESSON LEARNED (?):
(if you're not a Billionaire),
In a battle between Billionaires and Millionaires, you gotta take the Millionaires' side !

Method28
05-27-2014, 02:47 PM
oh yeah, how much?

Weren't the Dodgers sold for 2B a couple years ago,

Clippersfan86
05-27-2014, 03:18 PM

Yes. But Simmons is claiming the FLOOR price for the Clippers is 1.8 billion right now according to his sources. Could surpass 2 billion. Think of it this way... even if they only sell for 1.5... it's still amazing for a historically awful franchise.

Clippersfan86
05-27-2014, 03:19 PM

Yes. But Simmons is claiming the FLOOR price for the Clippers is 1.8 billion right now according to his sources. Could surpass 2 billion. Think of it this way... even if they only sell for 1.5... it's still amazing for a historically awful franchise.

abe_froman
05-27-2014, 03:23 PM
it wont go for that much ,my guess is probably a lil under a billion(800/900 mil)

Clippersfan86
05-27-2014, 03:24 PM
Pablo no problem, happy to share.

Pablonovi
05-27-2014, 05:18 PM
Pablo no problem, happy to share.

:cheers: (make mine non-alcoholic, please)

Clippersfan86
05-27-2014, 07:07 PM
it wont go for that much ,my guess is probably a lil under a billion(800/900 mil)

Wrong.

Pablonovi
05-27-2014, 07:26 PM
On what basis do "those who decide such things" determine how much a team is worth? (Profit-making future potential? Plus other factors?) What's got the Clippers' value so high (regional TV-cable contract?)?

Clippersfan86
05-27-2014, 07:54 PM
On what basis do "those who decide such things" determine how much a team is worth? (Profit-making future potential? Plus other factors?) What's got the Clippers' value so high (regional TV-cable contract?)?

Not even Forbes is accurate and they have an actual formula, so who the hell knows. I know in the Clippers case it's kind of a best of all worlds evaluation type deal. Value is determined by what people are willing to pay.. and multiple billionaires want to fight to buy the team. That alone is going to sky rocket the value. Then the Clippers who have been the most entertaining team in the league arguably in recent years, have an expiring TV deal after next year. Rumors have it they would be up for a MASSIVE deal, probably not too much smaller than the one the Lakers got. Then you have two superstars and top 10 jersey sales players, Doc Rivers (attracts attention himself) and it's not so farfetched.

Most importantly it's in freaking L.A. Also as somebody else said... a lot of the value has to do with the timing. I'm sure the Lakers for example would sell for 3 billion if they had more decent players right now.

Pablonovi
05-28-2014, 11:08 AM
Not even Forbes is accurate and they have an actual formula, so who the hell knows. I know in the Clippers case it's kind of a best of all worlds evaluation type deal. Value is determined by what people are willing to pay.. and multiple billionaires want to fight to buy the team. That alone is going to sky rocket the value. Then the Clippers who have been the most entertaining team in the league arguably in recent years, have an expiring TV deal after next year. Rumors have it they would be up for a MASSIVE deal, probably not too much smaller than the one the Lakers got. Then you have two superstars and top 10 jersey sales players, Doc Rivers (attracts attention himself) and it's not so farfetched.

Most importantly it's in freaking L.A. Also as somebody else said... a lot of the value has to do with the timing. I'm sure the Lakers for example would sell for 3 billion if they had more decent players right now.

Hey ClippersFan86,
Thanx,
I think you've got it right.

grandsalami
05-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Huh?

grandsalami
05-28-2014, 11:25 AM
“@ramonashelburne: Donald Sterling's attorney sent a letter to the NBA May 22, telling the league he has authorized Shelly to sell the team.”

goingfor28
05-28-2014, 12:08 PM

It will easily double that. The Bucks sold for like 550. Worst team in basketball in a small Crappy market. LA easily goes 1.5+

elwood12
05-29-2014, 02:11 AM
I don't think anyone thought he'd sell voluntarily. But there was some hope that he might let this situation end quietly, instead of kicking and screaming out the door. I think he understands that he will likely have to sell the team, and I think he's exploring (or having Shelly 'explore' those options), but it seems he will use every last appeal he has to see if he has a hail mary play. Call him what you will, but the man is consistent (consistently obstinate, that is).

elwood12
05-29-2014, 02:13 AM
But the forced sale won't be to the NBA, but to another group of private buyers. There wouldn't need to be any negotiations with the NBA, would there? hmmm weird

Sssmush
05-29-2014, 02:20 AM
not sure if anybody is keeping up with current developments... but there seems to be at least ten different balls of contention and potential litigation being hurled at the league simultaneously, by two independent legal teams. Capital gains tax, illegal wiretaps, divorce law, non-refundable $300M deposit, cease and desist order, notice of intent to sue in anti-trust court, authorization to sell, demand that Shelly retains interest in team, attempt to use league fine as tax write-off, refusal to pay league fine, notification that lawyers will file for injunction to prevent June 3rd vote, accusations that the league is using a different set of standards and dredging up Kobe Bryant and Rich DeVoss's past use of gay slurs. I'm sure by tomorrow Sterling's lawyers will be suing on the basis of civil rights violations. AND we're just gettin' started folks.

*wheeeeeeeeeee*

Sssmush
05-29-2014, 02:24 AM
I gotta tell you as a Laker fan I am just extremely entertained by watching all this and at this point I am actively rooting for the circus to just go on and on and on.

I will actually be disappointed if the Clippers roll over and relinquish the team without exploring every possible avenue of legal combat and media drama.

Pablonovi
05-29-2014, 11:46 AM
not sure if anybody is keeping up with current developments... but there seems to be at least ten different balls of contention and potential litigation being hurled at the league simultaneously, by two independent legal teams. Capital gains tax, illegal wiretaps, divorce law, non-refundable $300M deposit, cease and desist order, notice of intent to sue in anti-trust court, authorization to sell, demand that Shelly retains interest in team, attempt to use league fine as tax write-off, refusal to pay league fine, notification that lawyers will file for injunction to prevent June 3rd vote, accusations that the league is using a different set of standards and dredging up Kobe Bryant and Rich DeVoss's past use of gay slurs. I'm sure by tomorrow Sterling's lawyers will be suing on the basis of civil rights violations. AND we're just gettin' started folks.

*wheeeeeeeeeee*

Hey Sssmush,
Tell me/us you didn't just make all that up???
Wow, bring it on, fun and games.

Pablonovi
05-29-2014, 11:51 AM
I gotta tell you as a Laker fan I am just extremely entertained by watching all this and at this point I am actively rooting for the circus to just go on and on and on.

I will actually be disappointed if the Clippers roll over and relinquish the team without exploring every possible avenue of legal combat and media drama.

Hey Sssmush,
As I've just said, your last post was too much fun.
Me too: "I gotta tell you as a Laker fan I am just extremely entertained by watching all this and at this point I am actively rooting for the circus to just go on and on and on. "

otoh, when you say, "I will actually be disappointed if the Clippers roll over and relinquish the team without exploring every possible avenue of legal combat and media drama."
It's not clear to me (or others?) if you just want the Clips organization generally to have problems (perhaps because they benefitted so much from us being "Stern-ed"; or because you just love the Lakers and hate the Clips?) OR are you defending "Immaculate Sterling" from "You Got The Silver"?

Though I don't wish anything bad on the Clips players & coach; Are you hoping we get CP3 back if things get messy enough? (Me too!).

It's just not clear to me (hopefully this post is less unclear?).

grandsalami
05-29-2014, 03:21 PM
Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 20m
There are currently three serious bids for the Clippers (Ballmer, Geffen, Ressler). All over $1.2b. Question remains: Will Donald sign off?

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 10m
The belief is its on Shelly Sterling to sway Donald. As his lawyer told me yesterday, "you never know what a woman can do"

slashsnake
05-29-2014, 04:52 PM

Personally I hope that racist is out of the league in a hurry. But if you want to cheer him on, feel free.

Pablonovi
05-29-2014, 09:43 PM
nvm, sorry.
Yeah, screw that racist. If he puts up enough of fight; I wouldn't be surprised if it seriously hurts the team/players (willingness to stay).

NBA_Starter
05-29-2014, 10:39 PM
It didn't take long for the wheels to start turning when he said okay.