PDA

View Full Version : What SHOULD the Cavaliers do with the #1 pick?

cooters22
05-22-2014, 05:11 PM
What SHOULD the Caveliers do with the #1 pick?

abe_froman
05-22-2014, 05:20 PM
pick wiggins

...but think they go with embiid ,which isnt a bad choice

cooters22
05-22-2014, 05:20 PM
In theory them getting Kevin Love and having LeBron coming back to them would seem like a dream at this moment and a bit of a gamble. I'd take the big man Joel Embiid, only because you can't teach size. And believe it or not I think he is the surest thing in this draft.

Communly
05-22-2014, 05:22 PM
Wiggins is a clear #1 for most teams, I just don't think he's right for the Cavs. They need that inside pressure and Joel Embiid can definitely help them there.

Melo15
05-22-2014, 05:29 PM
All depends on how Embiid checks out medically. If there are any doubts on him whatsoever then they should go with Wiggins. If he gets the OK from the medical staff then it'll be a very close call.

ManRam
05-22-2014, 05:33 PM
Draft whoever they think is the better player between Wiggins and Embiid. I wouldn't worry too much about the positional stuff, just get the guy you think is more likely to be the big time super star. I don't think they need to be over thinking things.

2-ONE-5
05-22-2014, 05:47 PM
Embiid. Every point guard needs a center!

Arch Stanton
05-22-2014, 05:59 PM
Wiggins or Embiid

WITZ
05-22-2014, 06:02 PM
Drummond has been a monster in the league and imo Embiid's upside is higher. If his back checks out you take the 7 foot two way player.

Kaner
05-22-2014, 06:02 PM
Draft whoever they think is the better player between Wiggins and Embiid. I wouldn't worry too much about the positional stuff, just get the guy you think is more likely to be the big time super star. I don't think they need to be over thinking things.

I think you kind of have to give it some consideration when your #1 pick last year and #4 pick the year before play the position of the guy your considering.

With that said it's still really close for me between Wiggins and Embiid. I'd go Embiid if I was 100% confident in his back otherwise go Wiggins and trade Waiters.

lkingratedr
05-22-2014, 06:12 PM
Trade it to the knicks for tyson chandler and bargs

abe_froman
05-22-2014, 06:23 PM
I think you kind of have to give it some consideration when your #1 pick last year and #4 pick the year before play the position of the guy your considering.

With that said it's still really close for me between Wiggins and Embiid. I'd go Embiid if I was 100% confident in his back otherwise go Wiggins and trade Waiters.

not really,wiggins' floor is much higher than what either of those guys are and has a higher ceiling than either of them to.when picking high,you need a home run,you need to take bpa regardless of what you have at each position/what you took previously(unless those guys are somewhat young stars).like you point out ,you can always trade away waiters/bennett

not saying that embbid isnt a good choice,its a good route to go,just that manram is right

mngopher35
05-22-2014, 06:27 PM
I voted trade it for love. No bias involved...

bleedprple&gold
05-22-2014, 06:34 PM

Play the same position? Waiters plays the 2, Bennett is more of a 4, and Wiggins plays the 3. Don't really see where the positional conflict is. Now if Lebron comes they may have to move one of those guys but that's still a pipe dream at this point so you can't make decisions based on that. They really can't go wrong with Wiggins or Embiid.

Ebbs
05-22-2014, 06:36 PM
Draft Wiggins or forever regret it.

LAKobeBryant
05-22-2014, 06:38 PM
Give back to the rightful owner (bucks) since their getting Lebron back. But I wouldn't be surprised if they draft embid over wiggins if plan to get Lebron. But if they draft embid and lebron doesn't return they'll get a 1st overall pick next year. Win-win situation

Arch Stanton
05-22-2014, 06:38 PM
I think Wiggins has been listed as a SG, but he's a SF in the NBA. And he can defend multiple positions so he should be fine at the 3. He will probably need to add a few pounds like most rookies.

FlashBolt
05-22-2014, 07:18 PM
That #1 pick may be their key to the future. Idk, if they really want LeBron, try and trade it for Love. If not, IMO, they should draft Embiid and let Kyrie and him grow. Kyrie is going to only get better and with Embiid in the front court, they can be contenders next year. Trade Waiters and Varejao, sign George Karl. I think this team can't lose either way. Honestly, I don't think James will come back. He's established a great relationship with Wade and Miami in general, and the fact that he might still have a bit of hatred towards Cleveland fans.

FlashBolt
05-22-2014, 07:20 PM
I think Wiggins has been listed as a SG, but he's a SF in the NBA. And he can defend multiple positions so he should be fine at the 3. He will probably need to add a few pounds like most rookies.

Well, James came in playing SG early on too. He needs to get a bit beefier to be a natural SF. Maybe the 220-230 mark would be a nice start. What he does in college/high school won't work in the NBA with that small frame. He's what? 200-210? KD is 230 and he gets hammered down there. No way Wiggins is better than KD.

Arch Stanton
05-22-2014, 07:42 PM
Well, James came in playing SG early on too. He needs to get a bit beefier to be a natural SF. Maybe the 220-230 mark would be a nice start. What he does in college/high school won't work in the NBA with that small frame. He's what? 200-210? KD is 230 and he gets hammered down there. No way Wiggins is better than KD.

He's 6'8 and has the lateral quickness to guard any position. Of course he needs to add on some weight. Who knows how good he will be?

Jamiecballer
05-22-2014, 08:05 PM
Wipe their *** with it that way they get more value than last years pick

Kaner
05-22-2014, 09:47 PM
Play the same position? Waiters plays the 2, Bennett is more of a 4, and Wiggins plays the 3. Don't really see where the positional conflict is. Now if Lebron comes they may have to move one of those guys but that's still a pipe dream at this point so you can't make decisions based on that. They really can't go wrong with Wiggins or Embiid.

They drafted Bennett with him playing sf in mind so not sure what your point is and Wiggins can play sg/sf.

not really,wiggins' floor is much higher than what either of those guys are and has a higher ceiling than either of them to.when picking high,you need a home run,you need to take bpa regardless of what you have at each position/what you took previously(unless those guys are somewhat young stars).like you point out ,you can always trade away waiters/bennett

not saying that embbid isnt a good choice,its a good route to go,just that manram is right

Definitely debatable who's ceiling is higher but I'd agree with Wiggins being the safer pick. But we also we have no idea who the bpa is obviously especially with these top 3 choices so if you have 2 fairly equal talents and 1 fills a important need while at the other you already have a 21 year old quality starter and a 20 year old #1 draft pick that shouldn't be considered at all? That's dumb.

cooters22
05-23-2014, 11:55 AM
Is Wiggins really that much better than Parker?

todu82
05-23-2014, 02:12 PM
Trade down with a team that wants Wiggins. You'll get extra picks and an impact player in this year's draft.

Sadds The Gr8
05-23-2014, 04:37 PM
Draft embiid.

Lord Leoshes
05-23-2014, 06:58 PM
trade it 2 the heat 4 wade.

abe_froman
05-23-2014, 07:10 PM
Is Wiggins really that much better than Parker?
i think so.i have parker 4th best atm,behind wiggins,embiid and exum

Definitely debatable who's ceiling is higher but I'd agree with Wiggins being the safer pick. But we also we have no idea who the bpa is obviously especially with these top 3 choices so if you have 2 fairly equal talents and 1 fills a important need while at the other you already have a 21 year old quality starter and a 20 year old #1 draft pick that shouldn't be considered at all? That's dumb.
you can always trade to fill needs,you pick bpa(in my opini,on that wiggins).bennett is coming of the worst year any number 1 has ever had.and wiggins can play both 2 and 3 ,so positional it wouldnt interfere with waiters...and you can always trade him for a big if they dont like the fit(which think they should anyways)

Trwood12
05-23-2014, 07:44 PM
I want them to trade it for Love XD. Smart thing to do would be to pick up Parker. I say they probably draft Embiid.

ManRam
05-23-2014, 08:08 PM

Still don't think it matters. People get too caught up over positions. In today's NBA things are much more fluid. You see a ton of lineups where the "true" PG-SG-SF-PF-C lineup isn't present. Moreover, there's no reason to let a guy like Anthony Bennett, regardless of where he was drafted, be the reason you don't take Wiggins if you think Wiggins is the better player. You can get them on the court at the same time. That's not hard. Waiters, Wiggins and Bennett can easily coexist and all play together.

Seriously. The Cavs need to just not over-think. Take the guy they deem best. And even in regards to that, don't get cute with it. Rosters change. Players leave. Not drafting a better player because of "fit" is just dumb for such a young team.

Luckily for Cleveland it's going to be hard to botch this draft up.

Crackadalic
05-23-2014, 08:28 PM
Trade the pick along with tristen thompson, Andy-V rights to Miami 2015 pick and own 2017 pick for Kevin Love

Resign either Lebron or Deng

ATX
05-23-2014, 09:17 PM
Trade the pick along with tristen thompson, Andy-V rights to Miami 2015 pick and own 2017 pick for Kevin Love

Wow…You really think Kevin Love is worth the #1 overall pick in this years stacked draft class, as well as Tristen Thompson, Anderson Varejao, Miami's 2015 1st rounder, plus another 1st rounder in 2017?

mngopher35
05-23-2014, 09:26 PM
Wow…You really think Kevin Love is worth the #1 overall pick in this years stacked draft class, as well as Tristen Thompson, Anderson Varejao, Miami's 2015 1st rounder, plus another 1st rounder in 2017?

No need to question him, it's a great idea!

P&GRealist
05-23-2014, 09:30 PM
Gilbert will probably trade it to Miami for Chris Bosh in a S&T.

ATX
05-23-2014, 09:36 PM
No need to question him, it's a great idea!

Haha, ya if I was the Wolves GM and this was offered for Love, I couldn't sign fast enough.

Bostonjorge
05-23-2014, 09:39 PM
Trade it for the 7th pick and Nash expiring

Munkeysuit
05-23-2014, 10:19 PM
I chose trade for K Love, but it's only cause there wasn't another option for trade.
I actually would love for them to trade the #1 pick and Deng to the Orlando Magic for Aaron Afflalo and future 1st rounder, then trade Waiters and another 1st round pick to the Bulls for Jimmy Butler and Cash.
The Cavaliers starting 5 will look like this:

PG - Kyrie Irving
SG - Aaron Afflalo
SF - Jimmy Butler
PF - Tristan Thompson
C - Andersen Verajao

mngopher35
05-23-2014, 10:42 PM
I chose trade for K Love, but it's only cause there wasn't another option for trade.
I actually would love for them to trade the #1 pick and Deng to the Orlando Magic for Aaron Afflalo and future 1st rounder, then trade Waiters and another 1st round pick to the Bulls for Jimmy Butler and Cash.

PG - Kyrie Irving
SG - Aaron Afflalo
SF - Jimmy Butler
PF - Tristan Thompson
C - Andersen Verajao

haha what? That team didn't get much better and doesn't have a potential star like wiggins/parker/embiid to help build around Kyrie. You aren't serious are you?

Vampirate
05-23-2014, 11:58 PM
If the Cavaliers do anything but pick #1 and try and appease Kyrie to get players now, they will have made a big mistake imo.

Pierzynski4Prez
05-24-2014, 12:22 AM
after Bron opts in, trade the pick for Lebron,

Lebron then leaves for miami next offseason.

Arch Stanton
05-24-2014, 12:55 AM
I doubt they trade this years first, plus Waiters, TT, etc for Love rental. I could see them trading future picks plus assets for Love, and keeping this years #1 pick.

Arch Stanton
05-24-2014, 12:58 AM

PG - Kyrie Irving
SG - Aaron Afflalo
SF - Jimmy Butler
PF - Tristan Thompson
C - Andersen Verajao

I think a better trade would be Oladipo and Vucevic plus Orlando's 2014 pick for Alonzo Gee.

TrueFan420
05-24-2014, 01:10 AM
I voted trade it for love. No bias involved...

Hahaha I actually voted the same but only if love re-ups. If not you guys got no chance at that pick.

TrueFan420
05-24-2014, 01:17 AM

Hahaha you need to put down the crack

HuRRiCaNeS324
05-24-2014, 01:20 AM
Jabari Parker will bring the most immediate impact at the lowest risk. Parker is by far the most skilled player right now and the most NBA ready. Considering the fact Clv CANNOT **** up this pick, Jabari is definitely the right choice. He is guaranteed to be All Star, but i don't think his ceiling will allow him to become a Superstar.

I think Wiggins does have that type of potential, but he most definitely has a bust factor. Right now the only thing Wiggins possess that is excellent is his athleticism. For the people that are saying they'll regret not drafting him or he's clearly the best, i bet they either haven't seen him play that much or have WAAAY too much faith in his potential.

Embid is gonna be an awesome center in this league, easily top 5. Cleveland can't go wrong getting him. But of course that back is worrisome...

mngopher35
05-24-2014, 01:23 AM
Hahaha I actually voted the same but only if love re-ups. If not you guys got no chance at that pick.

If he would do that then it would certainly be good value for them to pair him with Kyrie and us of course. That is the part I just don't really see happening. Unless he is good friends with him, thinks they can compete in the east, and/or they have a plan to add some more around them (LBJ anyone?). I hope he will though because if Cleveland includes the 1st pick in a deal then they almost certainly will have the best offer.

5ass
05-24-2014, 01:31 AM
You know what they should do with the #1 pick? They should kiss my ***.

WITZ
05-24-2014, 01:42 AM
You know what they should do with the #1 pick? They should kiss my ***.

Assuming your a clippers fan...thanks for the 1st overall pick in 2011 :up:

TrueFan420
05-24-2014, 01:44 AM
If he would do that then it would certainly be good value for them to pair him with Kyrie and us of course. That is the part I just don't really see happening. Unless he is good friends with him, thinks they can compete in the east, and/or they have a plan to add some more around them (LBJ anyone?). I hope he will though because if Cleveland includes the 1st pick in a deal then they almost certainly will have the best offer.
In the east they're Top 3 side if healthy. They'd have to move waiters and other assets to get a 3 option.

Arch Stanton
05-24-2014, 01:54 AM

The issue with Love isn't necessarily not wanting to play in Cleveland or Minny but more about getting a max deal. So I wouldn't be surprised if he reacted similarly with a contender.

SilverFalco8
05-24-2014, 01:59 AM
Draft Wiggins or forever regret it.

i agree

Dade County
05-24-2014, 10:05 AM
If Love will re-up, grab him and Nikola Pekovic, for the 1st...

If not, they should draft Wiggins or Parker, haven't we learn about drafting a big man over talented wing players (Oden over KD)... This is a pg/wing player league.

IKnowHoops
05-24-2014, 10:19 AM
Still don't think it matters. People get too caught up over positions. In today's NBA things are much more fluid. You see a ton of lineups where the "true" PG-SG-SF-PF-C lineup isn't present. Moreover, there's no reason to let a guy like Anthony Bennett, regardless of where he was drafted, be the reason you don't take Wiggins if you think Wiggins is the better player. You can get them on the court at the same time. That's not hard. Waiters, Wiggins and Bennett can easily coexist and all play together.

Seriously. The Cavs need to just not over-think. Take the guy they deem best. And even in regards to that, don't get cute with it. Rosters change. Players leave. Not drafting a better player because of "fit" is just dumb for such a young team.

Luckily for Cleveland it's going to be hard to botch this draft up.

This line of thinking will get you killed in the PSD redraft. Trust me I know.

SilverFalco8
05-24-2014, 10:22 AM
after Bron opts in, trade the pick for Lebron,

Lebron then leaves for miami next offseason.

Hmm. Interesting. Do you think Miami will go for it?

BKLYNpigeon
05-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Draft Wiggins and trade everything you got for kevin love.

tp13baby
05-24-2014, 11:02 AM
I think Embiid will be the best center of his era. Put Howard or anyone right now, he will be better. At the same time I am not sure how you don't pick Wiggins.

Vinylman
05-24-2014, 11:41 AM
This is the Jordan draft all over again... the cavs will take embiid and regret not taking wiggins for the next 15 years...

JPS
05-24-2014, 11:44 AM
This is the Jordan draft all over again... the cavs will take embiid and regret not taking wiggins for the next 15 years...

Hopefully the Sixers get Jordan at 3. B Hakeem was pretty good at 1 in that draft. Bucks r in trouble.

Vinylman
05-24-2014, 12:01 PM
Hopefully the Sixers get Jordan at 3. B Hakeem was pretty good at 1 in that draft. Bucks r in trouble.

yeah .. he was great at 1 ... i was more referencing the bowie pick..

Anyway... bigs are always overrated based on their college performance because they face ridiculously inferior talent whereas wings are stifled due to zone defenses and highly structured offenses.

Guys like Exum wouldn't probably be in the top 8-9 if he had played college ball... he is really the potential big bust in this draft...

hugepatsfan
05-24-2014, 12:03 PM

This.

mngopher35
05-24-2014, 12:09 PM
The issue with Love isn't necessarily not wanting to play in Cleveland or Minny but more about getting a max deal. So I wouldn't be surprised if he reacted similarly with a contender.

hmm, I hadn't heard that. Minnesota would certainly offer him the 5 year max to stay this time around (no Kahn to ruin things). Well if giving him a max is the issue he certainly wont 't be going there unfortunately. Wherever he goes he will be getting a max contract after this one (he wants to go somewhere he likes so they can offer 5 years).

Most people/teams have the issue with him only having one year left meaning he can just walk after the season. That is why it is partially up to him on what Minnesota can get because he would likely need to assure a team he's willing to stay.

xnick5757
05-24-2014, 12:15 PM
draft Embiid with it, trade a combination of Waiters/Bennett/Deng/Varejao/anyone other than Kyrie + future picks to the Wolves for Love

then lure Lebron with the promise of forming a big 4 with Kyrie, Love, and Embiid

ChongInc.
05-24-2014, 01:35 PM
To Toronto:
No. 1 pick
Thompson
Bennett

To Cleveland:
Derozan
Ross
Amir
Patterson
And a couple firsts.

If Toronto could keep Ross somehow that would be perfect.

NoahH
05-24-2014, 02:36 PM
Cavs should select Wiggins since my buddy and I made a deal for me to buy a Wiggins jersey and him to buy a Parker jersey no matter what team selects which player and I dont want a godawful Bucks jerseys.

Cal827
05-24-2014, 02:51 PM
To Toronto:
No. 1 pick
Thompson
Bennett

To Cleveland:
Derozan
Ross
Amir
Patterson
And a couple firsts.

:laugh: Oh god no

TheQueensKid
05-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Embiid

TheNumber37
05-24-2014, 05:32 PM
I actually think Parker's gonna be better than Wiggins.

eso
05-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Trade it to the Lakers for there 7th pick and a couple of future 1st. Haha

eso
05-24-2014, 07:38 PM
I agree.

Jamiecballer
05-24-2014, 07:46 PM
To Toronto:
No. 1 pick
Thompson
Bennett

To Cleveland:
Derozan
Ross
Amir
Patterson
And a couple firsts.

What a terrible ****ing hosejob for the raptors imo

NBA_Starter
05-24-2014, 09:21 PM
Select Embiid

shep33
05-24-2014, 10:50 PM
They should select Embiid... but they'll draft Doug McDermott

Kaner
05-24-2014, 11:59 PM
What a terrible ****ing hosejob for the raptors imo

Meaning Raptors are getting screwed or what?

If am the raptors I'd do that trade if I actually want to get past the 2nd round this decade. Right now they're shaping up to be this decades Atlanta, do the trade and they get a potential superstar in Wiggins plus 2 young prospects and they still have a good young center.

I'd never do that trade if I'm the cavs and actually intend to bring a championship to cleveland.

PurpleLynch
05-25-2014, 08:49 AM
Draft Embiid or Wiggins.Embiid should be more useful(and i personally like him more than Wiggins)for the Cavaliers,but he had that back injury. I'm still unsure,even if he looks fine to me now.

Munkeysuit
05-26-2014, 09:18 AM
Dead serious my friend...you'll see how serious this will be in time.

NYKNYGNYY
05-26-2014, 09:45 AM
do not trade it unless its for LeBron lol but go with BPA..parker or wiggins is a better choice then love for a year

NYKNYGNYY
05-26-2014, 09:47 AM
To Toronto:
No. 1 pick
Thompson
Bennett

To Cleveland:
Derozan
Ross
Amir
Patterson
And a couple firsts.

why would they give up last years first and this years first along with Thompson? I think Bennett is a bust but who knows maybe he can bounce back next year..just my opinion

DetroitBadBoy
05-26-2014, 08:57 PM
Seeing as they screwed us of our pick, i'd say, who cares.

THE MTL
05-26-2014, 09:07 PM
Im picking either Wiggins or Parker. Back problems arent just a one and done injury. This is something that can linger for a long time.

smith&wesson
05-26-2014, 09:37 PM
I think the cavs should just keep the pick and stick with their long term development. see it through..

Irving, Wiggins, Waiters, Bennett, Thompson, .. those kids have like 20 years left in this league. Bennett should bounce back at at least be a good starter in this league. but who knows with him.

I wouldn't trade the pick. not this year. if anything I would try to package Bennett and Waiters in a trade..