PDA

View Full Version : Fair Trade Value for #1 Pick

ilovesports
05-22-2014, 07:09 AM
Just read an article indicating the Cavs are open to trading the first pick if the right deal is there.

What do you consider fair market value for the most desirable #1 pick since 2003?

Does your team have the assets to make a push for the pick, if so, what are they?

I can see teams potentially being irrational due to the hype of this draft.

Thoughts?

ilovesports
05-22-2014, 07:11 AM
personally id be willing to sacrifice almost everything if i wasnt a top 5-10 team in the league

PhillyFaninLA
05-22-2014, 07:44 AM
I'd offer Thad, number 3, maybe a second this year and next, and see if that gets it done, they can still trade number 3 at that point.

mike_noodles
05-22-2014, 08:34 AM
I'd give up Derozan, the #20, Salmons (salary relief) and a future 1st.

JasonJohnHorn
05-22-2014, 08:35 AM
I dunno if this is the most desirable pick since 2003.

KD and Oden were both HUGELY celebrated.

Dwight, Blake Griffin and Anthony Davis was as well.

I'm not sure that there is anybody who teams wanted as much as they wanted Durant when he was drafted, and he went second.

As to the value of the pick, I'm not sure. But if the Cavs hope to get Love, they will likely have to throw in something else to sweeten the pot.

mdm692
05-22-2014, 09:06 AM
I dunno if this is the most desirable pick since 2003.

KD and Oden were both HUGELY celebrated.

Dwight, Blake Griffin and Anthony Davis was as well.

I'm not sure that there is anybody who teams wanted as much as they wanted Durant when he was drafted, and he went second.

As to the value of the pick, I'm not sure. But if the Cavs hope to get Love, they will likely have to throw in something else to sweeten the pot.

Waiters, #1 overall for Kmart and Love

KnicksorBust
05-22-2014, 09:12 AM
Waiters, #1 overall for Kmart and Love

Cavs defense would be so atrocious.

Are we that afraid Irving is bolting first chance he gets? Cavs can't just take Embiid?

OnePostOnly
05-22-2014, 10:25 AM
not sure about this one

NoahH
05-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Hard to say. Wiggins / Parker / Embiid have superstar potential so what are you willing to trade for a superstar?

Like someone said earlier... Thad Young, #3 and second round could work. Cavs would still be ensured one of the trio and they'd get Thad Young.

Would I do K Love for the #1? No. Unless K Love signed a long term deal before the trade

scissors
05-22-2014, 11:41 AM
I actually think that the hyped DEPTH of this draft makes the number 1 not have a crazy high value as compared to say the 2 or 3. With people like Lebron, Howard, Duncan, Shaq, the number 1 was so highly valued compared to other picks.

I think the cost of any 1st round pick will be high this year based on the hyped depth. But not especially the number 1 overall as there are a few different guys that could go there.

WITZ
05-22-2014, 11:43 AM
Thad Young... :laugh2: Just stay at the 1 spot and pick who they really want of the Big 3 draftees unless a trade offer really blows them out of the water.

scissors
05-22-2014, 11:43 AM
Would I do K Love for the #1? No. Unless K Love signed a long term deal before the trade

Real life Uncle Drew!

ManRam
05-22-2014, 11:46 AM
I would trade #4 and #12 for the #1 pick :shrug: I'd throw in Afflalo or Harris or something.

But I'm as in love with Wiggins as it gets. I know there are plenty that don't have a strong preference between Exum and Wiggins, or who really don't think the top 4 or 5 are all that different. I'm not one of them. I still think there's one clear gem.

DemarDerozan
05-22-2014, 11:47 AM
They are stupid to deal this pick. If anything they should package Kyrie and Thompson to a team dumb enough to take them on....

I'm looking at you Sacramento.

Kyrie and Tristan Thompson for DMC and Isaiah Thomas. You get:

2014-15 CAVS

Thomas
Waiters
Wiggins
DMC
Varejao

Now that is an instant playoff team. Contender in 2-3 years.

Not to mention the Kings would at least be fun to watch

Kyrie
McLemore
Gay
Thompson
Randle

DemarDerozan
05-22-2014, 12:04 PM
I would trade #4 and #12 for the #1 pick :shrug: I'd throw in Afflalo or Harris or something.

But I'm as in love with Wiggins as it gets. I know there are plenty that don't have a strong preference between Exum and Wiggins, or who really don't think the top 4 or 5 are all that different. I'm not one of them. I still think there's one clear gem.

I guarantee you that Exum will be a bust. He has zero US experience, does not have the NBA pedigree and will flounder against NBA defenses. Every year there is a player like this who gets to the NBA and busts. Rubio, Byombo, Vesely, Kanter, Thabeet. There has not been a top ten international player pick who hasn't busted outside of Jonas V in the past five years.

I agree that Wiggins will become a consistent All-NBA type player.

Taking Wiggins or Parker is a sure thing. Worst case scenario for Parker is Rudy Gay.

ottograham14
05-22-2014, 12:40 PM
Cavs defense would be so atrocious.

Are we that afraid Irving is bolting first chance he gets? Cavs can't just take Embiid?

Isn't really about Irving bolting but instead wanting to compete immediately with Irving still on the team.

If any team is going to trade for the #1 pick then a current All-Star will have to be the centerpiece of the trade to pair with Kyrie. No draft picks or secondary/role players. A legitimate ALL-STAR with 5-6 year capability of still playing at that level.

KLove would be ideal but only if he signed an extension. They aren't going to give up Embiid or Wiggins for a 1 year rental. This isn't Chris Grant running the team anymore. They are fine with taking one of those two if they cannot get what they want in an immediate help trade. They hold the cards right now.

Thad Young as the immediate help is not going to get it done either lol.

They have enough future 1st rounders too to not have to worry about adding more future picks.

Current All-Star or bust is the motto. Lamarcus Aldridge who they are very high on would be interesting for #1 if Portland made him available.

ottograham14
05-22-2014, 12:42 PM
They are stupid to deal this pick. If anything they should package Kyrie and Thompson to a team dumb enough to take them on....

2014-15 CAVS

Thomas
Waiters
Wiggins
DMC
Varejao

Kyrie
McLemore
Gay
Thompson
Randle

Kyrie is not going anywhere at least until 2015. They still have 2 years to build around their young All-Star PG unlike what national media wants to create by trying to say they have to trade him this offseason.

If anyone gets moved it will be TT, Andy or Waiters if not all 3 this offseason.

Ware_Spencer
05-22-2014, 01:03 PM
I guarantee you that Exum will be a bust. He has zero US experience, does not have the NBA pedigree and will flounder against NBA defenses. Every year there is a player like this who gets to the NBA and busts. Rubio, Byombo, Vesely, Kanter, Thabeet. There has not been a top ten international player pick who hasn't busted outside of Jonas V in the past five years.

Taking Wiggins or Parker is a sure thing. Worst case scenario for Parker is Rudy Gay.

I am not defending Exum. I think he is overrated.

But Rubio is not a bust. He is still a decent point guard. Just needs to work on his shot.

Kanter is not a bust. He averaged 12 and 7 last year in only 26 minutes per game.
per 36 - he would be averaging 16 and 10 and that is coming off a major shoulder injury.
Also just barely turned 22 this week.

This "bust" label gets thrown around way too much. Every lottery pick doesn't have to become a superstar. They just need to be able to contribute in a rotation.

ManRam
05-22-2014, 01:12 PM

Well, if you say so! Guess I'll take your word and run with it!

I will say, I don't think it matters one bit what foreigners did or didn't do before him. He's himself and none of what those guys you listed have any bearing on his basketball ability. He's however good he is, and however good he is is completely independent of anything those guys have ever done. I think there are reasons to doubt him, but those reasons should be basketball ability-related issues. Because in the end, how good of a basketball player you are or aren't is all that matters.

TheIlladelph16
05-22-2014, 01:17 PM
Well, if you say so! Guess I'll take your word and run with it!

I will say, I don't think it matters one bit what foreigners did or didn't do before him. He's himself and none of what those guys you listed have any bearing on his basketball ability. He's however good he is, and however good he is is completely independent of anything those guys have ever done. I think there are reasons to doubt him, but those reasons should be basketball ability-related issues. Because in the end, how good of a basketball player you are or aren't is all that matters.

Dude... He plays for the Raptors. He would know.

Crackadalic
05-22-2014, 01:32 PM

Biyombo in the minutes he played was one of the best rim protectors in the nba so idk how he's a bust.

Rubio isn't as advertise but he isn't terrible. Dude just can't score

Can't speak on the rest. Thabeet wasn't worth being the 2nd pick I guess

You also can't say every year there's a player like this who can't flounder etc etc. I call bs.

Dirk/Parker/ginobli

To a lesser extent teletivic/caldron etc

Who knows how exum will turn out but at 6'5-6'6 as a point guard and only 18 why not see him try to be great

True Sports Fan
05-22-2014, 02:27 PM

2014-15 CAVS

Thomas
Waiters
Wiggins
DMC
Varejao

Kyrie
McLemore
Gay
Thompson
Randle

Kings don't have Magoofs anymore so we wouldn't take that. The difference between Irving and Thomas definitely isn't worth the downgrade from Boogie to Thompson

MrfadeawayJB
05-22-2014, 02:38 PM
I think you would need a star in return. Maybe okc trades Westbrook to the cavs and pairs durant with another star in the making.

ManRam
05-22-2014, 02:45 PM
I think you would need a star in return. Maybe okc trades Westbrook to the cavs and pairs durant with another star in the making.

I don't think you trade an established star for a top draft pick if you're OKC. By doing so you're just wasting a few more years of KD's prime, because even if Wiggins or whoever is the second coming, it's still gonna take quite some time for that player to reach that potential. They already kinda did it once with Harden, granted, they didn't get the top pick in a draft back.

If OKC looks to make a splash, I can't see how they retool that drastically. It takes them out of serious championship contention for at least some period of time. And with KD's FA looming in the distance, I don't think they can afford that wait.

abe_froman
05-22-2014, 02:47 PM
you wont get fair value for it ,thats why they rarely get traded.

abe_froman
05-22-2014, 02:55 PM
thats thew problem.why trade a guy who is a star for a pick were being a star is a only projection? you'd be wasting kd's prime by making him wait for wiggins/embiid to develop and hopefully bring you the production that westbrook already is(which will make him bolt first chance he gets).

the first pick is only valuable in a star trade when that star is looking to bolt or the team he's on is looking for a major retooling,other than that you will only get offers that are worth less than what number 1 probably will be

SeoulBeatz
05-22-2014, 02:57 PM
Thad Young and the #3 isn't enough to move up.

The Sixers would have to give up something along the lines of #3, #10, #32 + Thad to even be considered and that's simply too much.

I'm fine with just waiting it out and letting one of either Wiggins, Embiid, or Parker fall into our laps.

Lo Porto
05-22-2014, 03:33 PM
I don't understand why the Bucks or 76er's would trade up at all. The Cavs, Bucks and 76er's all have holes to fill and there is no clear cut favorite between Embiid, Wiggins and Parker. If one of those three teams had a lock down defender, I could understand Parker. But they don't. If one had a lights out scorer at the wing, I could understand Wiggins, but they don't. None of those teams have a great big. So trading up doesn't make much sense to me.

So what would it take for another team to get #1?

I'm a Utah fan. Would #23 and either Kanter or Favors get it done? Doubtful....

NickyNick
05-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Boston's #6 pick, 2015 1st rounder, Jared Sullinger and Avery Bradley for the #1 overall.

mngopher35
05-22-2014, 04:08 PM
We can offer Love but I am not sure Cleveland could convince him to stay so it likely isn't worth it for them...

2-ONE-5
05-22-2014, 04:12 PM
id give #3, Thad Young, Tony Wroten, 2nds this year and a future top 10 protected pick

Jamiecballer
05-22-2014, 09:22 PM

I think thats a phenomenal idea for OKC but Cleveland has Irving so there is that

NoahH
05-23-2014, 12:21 PM

I agree there's definitely a top tier. Personally I think it looks like this

Wiggins
-----------------------------
Parker
Embiid
-----------------------------
Exum
Smart
etc.