PDA

View Full Version : How attractive is Philly as a Free Agent Destination?

JasonJohnHorn
05-21-2014, 11:13 PM
I may be wrong about this, but I believe the 76ers are going to be WAY under the cap this year.

People are going on about the Cavs getting the number one pick, but the 76ers have 3rd pick AND the 10th pick in what is supposed to be a DEEP draft, not to mention they have Noel Nerlens (who would have been the consensus first pick last year if healthy) who is going to make his debut and the reigning ROY in MCW.

Word is Thad Young wants a trade, and if the 76ers can move him, and maybe get a first-rounder out of him, then that could put them in a position to have five first rounders in the last two years AND still have enough cap space to sign two or three players of great significance.

That sounds like a team who is in pretty good shape to me. If I were a big name free agent, I would be taking a HARD look at Philly in the off season, especially if my name is LBJ. Five first rounders in two years? That window would be as long as the rest of LBJ's career (or anybody else looking for new scenery).

Thoughts?

goingfor28
05-21-2014, 11:19 PM
They should at least be somewhat attractive imo. Noel, MCW, and Parker/Wiggins/Embiid is a nice young 3 some to play with.

xxplayerxx23
05-22-2014, 12:25 AM
What has Noel proved? Mcw looked alright but looked worse as the year went on. Lebron and others won't go until their rookie and Noel prove that they take steps forward.

MrfadeawayJB
05-22-2014, 12:37 AM
In the east? Attractive. But a vet has added pressure of playing with young guys and leading by example. Quite a bit of pressure there

abe_froman
05-22-2014, 01:07 AM
free agents are generally older(around 30) and dont want to wait around on rookies/young kids to develop.they are thinking about competing right now,not wanting to start to compete 5 years from now

philly will be a destination,but only a few years from now,not right now

dhopisthename
05-22-2014, 01:09 AM
I don't think they are attractive at all. noel will be a rookie, the picks will be rookies, mcw while good is about the only thing on that roster that's worth anything. Do you really think lebron wants to wait 2-3 years at age 30 for those guys to develop? I doubt it.

MrfadeawayJB
05-22-2014, 01:55 AM
free agents are generally older(around 30) and dont want to wait around on rookies/young kids to develop.they are thinking about competing right now,not wanting to start to compete 5 years from now

Around that age they are either looking to compete or get paid. Philly can offer the latter.

albertajaysfan
05-22-2014, 02:13 AM
They should save their cap space for a year or two I think. They aren't quite ready IMO.

SMH!
05-22-2014, 02:16 AM
What has Noel proved? Mcw looked alright but looked worse as the year went on. Lebron and others won't go until their rookie and Noel prove that they take steps forward.

mcw hit the rookie wall but as the year went on he actually started looking better, he stopped taking 3s and became very efficient and wasnt turning the ball over.

bringbackfredex
05-22-2014, 02:34 AM

Uh that he would have been the guaranteed #1 overall pick if he didn't tear his ACL before the draft...

So lets review here. They have the:
- Rookie of the year
- #1 pick entering his rookie year
- #3 pick in a deep draft where there are three "can't miss" players
- #10 pick in a deep draft, keeping in mind the fact that they drafted MCW at #11 last year.
- Ability to either trade or hang on to a good player in Thaddeus Young

I'd say that this is a pretty decent destination, and this team is going to gel together faster than you think. Any logical free agent would see a very good chance to win here within the next year or so. Hinkie is smart enough to only give money to the right guy however, so don't expect a middle of the road guy to come in. If they cannot get a star, they won't even bother until the right opportunity arises.

bringbackfredex
05-22-2014, 02:46 AM
I don't think they are attractive at all. noel will be a rookie, the picks will be rookies, mcw while good is about the only thing on that roster that's worth anything. Do you really think lebron wants to wait 2-3 years at age 30 for those guys to develop? I doubt it.

It's actually not that unrealistic of a possibility. I think LeBron knows that Miami's window of opportunity is starting to come to the end of the road given Bosh's most likely departure and Wade's age.

He took criticism because he couldn't win a title without the help of a star last time, so maybe he won't go down that road this time. Because of Gilbert I think its even more unlikely that he goes back to Cleveland. Philadelphia is also a big market, where he would not only be loved but would capture major media attention and endorsements.

I'm not saying that this a sure thing to happen or anything, all I'm saying is that it could. This team is going to have 4 top picks as a supporting cast, and LeBron could take them to the next level.

Raps08-09 Champ
05-22-2014, 02:50 AM
I'd go there for the Philly Cheese Steaks.

JoeDirt05
05-22-2014, 02:56 AM
I wouldn't go there the fans even hate Santa lol

0nekhmer
05-22-2014, 03:21 AM
Only contenders or big market teams are attractive targets. I share this pain as a raptors fan. As nice as your potential team is, players won't start coming until you win and get to at least the conference finals

Asik's better
05-22-2014, 03:31 AM
Uh that he would have been the guaranteed #1 overall pick if he didn't tear his ACL before the draft...

- Rookie of the year
- #10 pick in a deep draft, keeping in mind the fact that they drafted MCW at #11 last year.

I'd say that this is a pretty decent destination, and this team is going to gel together faster than you think. Any logical free agent would see a very good chance to win here within the next year or so. Hinkie is smart enough to only give money to the right guy however, so don't expect a middle of the road guy to come in. If they cannot get a star, they won't even bother until the right opportunity arises.
Exactly, he tore his ACL. Who knows what he can next season. And what if he injures it again? Plus you got MCW, yes he won the rookie of the year but let's face it. Not a lot of great rookies this season. How will he respond once teams start to plan for him. Their are too many questions surrounding them heading into next season for the 76ers for a big free agents to sign with them this and probably next off season.

PhillyFaninLA
05-22-2014, 04:32 AM
They should save their cap space for a year or two I think. They aren't quite ready IMO.

I suspect, unless we sign Greg Monroe this off season, that is what we will do. I also believe we trade Thad for a mid to late teen pick in this draft.

Greg Monroe would be a perfect piece for this team, he compliments and takes pressure of Noels. Monroe is 23 and gives the rebounding and points Noels needs to learn how to do, while Noels will provide the shot blocking.

A lineup of:

MCW
(pick 10 SG, combo guard, or SG/SF)
Jabari or Wiggins (I'm assuming Emiid goes first if Cleveland keeps the pick)
Noels
Monroe

That is a really really nice core, and you still have free agent money for the following summer to fill in nice young bench pieces.

PhillyFaninLA
05-22-2014, 04:37 AM
I wouldn't go there the fans even hate Santa lol

Maybe you should look up context and understand why that incident happened....way to run your naive mouth though, and so original and clever

and trolling and off topic

east fb knicks
05-22-2014, 06:12 AM
would the sixers trade noel if they take embied:confused:

warfelg
05-22-2014, 07:25 AM
Hinkie and Brown have both said the plan is to lay low in FA for 2-3 years. I don't see it happening.

PhillyFaninLA
05-22-2014, 07:42 AM
would the sixers trade noel if they take embied:confused:

I don't see why they would. They have 2 shot blockers, 1 rebounder, 1 guy that should learn to rebound, and 2 guys that hopefully learn better offense.

The would have the basket covered on defense for 10 years.

MagicBucsSox
05-22-2014, 08:36 AM
Man,the eagles land big free agents. Sixers never have. And no "big time" free agent is going to go play with developing kids. They're gonna have to overpay someone not worth it to land somebody

JasonJohnHorn
05-22-2014, 08:43 AM
Man,the eagles land big free agents. Sixers never have. And no "big time" free agent is going to go play with developing kids. They're gonna have to overpay someone not worth it to land somebody

You'd be surprised. The Hornets (nee Bobcats) picked up Al Jefferson last year and didn't have to overpay for him and they had less going for them than the 76ers do now.

There are always guys out there that teams don't have capspace for who want a pay day.

MagicBucsSox
05-22-2014, 08:52 AM
You'd be surprised. The Hornets (nee Bobcats) picked up Al Jefferson last year and didn't have to overpay for him and they had less going for them than the 76ers do now.

There are always guys out there that teams don't have capspace for who want a pay day.

No Charlotte had to overpay him out of going to Dallas or San Antonio(imagine him there omg) . They gave Jefferson an insane deal. Especially when they still never won a playoff game, it was pointless spending. And who considers al Jefferson a "big time free agent" he's a good player.
Big difference

zn23
05-22-2014, 08:55 AM
They have really nice jerseys. That should be the no.2 priority for players, behind nice weather of course.

Philly is cold, and they have a really bad team. But they do have nice jerseys.

PhillyFaninLA
05-22-2014, 08:56 AM
No Charlotte had to overpay him out of going to Dallas or San Antonio(imagine him there omg) . They gave Jefferson an insane deal. Especially when they still never won a playoff game, it was pointless spending. And who considers al Jefferson a "big time free agent" he's a good player.
Big difference

How does it feel to have never once been wrong? I mean you like to talk, but you don't like to say anything.

kingsdelez24
05-22-2014, 09:10 AM

- Rookie of the year

Exactly, he tore his ACL. Who knows what he can next season. And what if he injures it again? Plus you got MCW, yes he won the rookie of the year but let's face it. Not a lot of great rookies this season. How will he respond once teams start to plan for him. Their are too many questions surrounding them heading into next season for the 76ers for a big free agents to sign with them this and probably next off season.

I'm pretty sure Noel was ready to play in like February, they just kept him out to "re-invent" his jump shot and add muscle to his frame (and tank). He even starred in a Reebok commercial in October where he threw down an alley oop from Isaiah Thomas, so he's gonna be fine

PhillyFaninLA
05-22-2014, 09:12 AM

Good coach, good GM, will have a bunch of good young talent going into next year, one of the brighter futures of non elite NBA teams right now, a ton of salary cap space, fan base that tends to have ex players speak highly about them (its other team fans and media that trash the Philadelphia fans not former players or coaches)

yeah we have nothing going for us

All time wins by teams:

1. Lakers 3,084
2. Celtics 3,028
3. Sixers 2,610
4. Knicks 2,525 - played 3 more seasons than the Sixers and have less wins

Only 4 teams have more titles than the Sixers:

Celtics - 17
Lakers - 16
Bulls - 6
Spurs - 4
Heat and Sixers with 3

Never signed a good free agent, once again you don't know what you are talking about:

Moses Malone was a terrible free agent signing, I mean that guy couldn't play at all
George McGinnis
Steve Mix
Julies Erving

Its good to have information and not just run your mouth because you want to be heard....now you have facts and don't need to be ignorant anymore

TheIlladelph16
05-22-2014, 09:21 AM
I think we need to see the young guys play for a year or two before any legitimate FA's consider Philly. Maybe if they really just want to come play here, but otherwise I'd want to see Noel play first and how these kids develop a little bit.

PhillyFaninLA
05-22-2014, 09:41 AM
I think we need to see the young guys play for a year or two before any legitimate FA's consider Philly. Maybe if they really just want to come play here, but otherwise I'd want to see Noel play first and how these kids develop a little bit.

What are your thoughts on Greg Monroe (23) to play and develop alongside Noel if we get Wiggins or Parker

edit:

Aside from Monroe I agree with you, I think its the smart play.

ManRam
05-22-2014, 09:43 AM
This year? Probably not very. In a few years if MCW, Noel, their two draft picks, etc. pan out? Probably a good deal. They're still way too young and were way too bad to be pulling in top FAs. Nor should they try to right now. They will have a ton of money, however.

LongIslandIcedZ
05-22-2014, 09:56 AM
Not attractive at all this year. As young as they are, they still aren't a good team. They are set up so well though.

In 2 or 3 years, should MCW/Noel/draft picks develop like we think they will, they will be extremely attractive to stars. But we don't know how they will develop though. Everything is too up in the air to attract free agents this year IMO.

THE MTL
05-22-2014, 09:56 AM
I don't think they are attractive for free agents but they have s bright future. With that said they can have all the young players they want but if none of them can become a franchise player than its all for nothing. (See wolves and bucks)

People keep talking about the Thunder but the Thunder drafted Durant and Westbrook is a top 10 nba as well. So between Wiggins and Parker one of them had to make that leap.

MagicBucsSox
05-22-2014, 09:57 AM
Good coach, good GM, will have a bunch of good young talent going into next year, one of the brighter futures of non elite NBA teams right now, a ton of salary cap space, fan base that tends to have ex players speak highly about them (its other team fans and media that trash the Philadelphia fans not former players or coaches)

yeah we have nothing going for us

All time wins by teams:

1. Lakers 3,084
2. Celtics 3,028
3. Sixers 2,610
4. Knicks 2,525 - played 3 more seasons than the Sixers and have less wins

Only 4 teams have more titles than the Sixers:

Celtics - 17
Lakers - 16
Bulls - 6
Spurs - 4
Heat and Sixers with 3

Never signed a good free agent, once again you don't know what you are talking about:

Moses Malone was a terrible free agent signing, I mean that guy couldn't play at all
George McGinnis
Steve Mix
Julies Erving

Its good to have information and not just run your mouth because you want to be heard....now you have facts and don't need to be ignorant anymore

Dude you went back to the 70's and 80's ,YOUR NOT THAT GLORIFIED FRANCHISE NO MORE YOUR A BOTTOM FEEDING TEAM, stop living in the past like a Cowboy fan. Stop taking reality so personal. Your young guys need needs to mess up and gain experience before a big time FA would wanna join?

I'm sorry are we talking big time FA's (All stars) or big time FA's (good players?) because I'm talking all stars or guys on the verge.

PhillyFaninLA
05-22-2014, 10:09 AM
Dude you went back to the 70's and 80's ,YOUR NOT THAT GLORIFIED FRANCHISE NO MORE YOUR A BOTTOM FEEDING TEAM, stop living in the past like a Cowboy fan. Stop taking reality so personal. Your young guys need needs to mess up and gain experience before a big time FA would wanna join?

I'm sorry are we talking big time FA's (All stars) or big time FA's (good players?) because I'm talking all stars or guys on the verge.

So you say your team never signed a good free agent and I say yes we have these are good free agents, now you say you can't go back that far.

So got called out, you got evidence showing your comment was wrong, and you change your argument.

You are not a man, a man does not change his argument or create new context so they can be right....that is for the weak.

I feel sorry for you and won't respond to you again because you will just change what you say so you can be right. I care about correct not right.

edit:

In your last statement you are implying that Moses Malone and Dr J aren't all time greats.....you are really sad in your attempts to argue.

OnePostOnly
05-22-2014, 10:25 AM
its not

2-ONE-5
05-22-2014, 10:43 AM

this. there is no one for us to target this year, maybe next but we are in no rush. between our strong FO, young talent, major market, and history we will certainly be an attractive place to come whent he time is right

2-ONE-5
05-22-2014, 10:47 AM

we did land Brand when he was the top or one of the top FA's not too long ago...

PhillyFaninLA
05-22-2014, 11:03 AM
this. there is no one for us to target this year, maybe next but we are in no rush. between our strong FO, young talent, major market, and history we will certainly be an attractive place to come whent he time is right

Only free agent I'm interesting in this is year is Greg Monroe...what are you thoughts on him

blystr2002
05-22-2014, 11:17 AM
That really isn't attractive at all to big time free agents right now. If a couple of those 4-5 picks pan out to be stars then the summer of 16 or 17 free agents would be the players who could be lured here. Right now though I think we could get some solid role players here, which is what you really want because if those picks do pan out then you will have to resign them to bigger contracts later and they will lead the team to contention.

blystr2002
05-22-2014, 11:20 AM
Only free agent I'm interesting in this is year is Greg Monroe...what are you thoughts on him
If we end up with Embiid then no, but if we get Wiggins or Parker then Monroe would be interesting. It also depends on how they plan on using Noel.

2-ONE-5
05-22-2014, 11:26 AM

depends who we draft. but hes an RFA an its prob gonna take close to, if not a max to get him so ill prob pass as much as like him

todu82
05-22-2014, 11:29 AM
I think it'll be a decent spot to land but in 2016 or 2017 not 2014.

joeyc77
05-22-2014, 11:42 AM
Philly is a good location for FAs- big city, strong fan support, great basketball town.

As far as the organization, it remains to be seen. Hinkie and Brown seem to be headed in the right direction and definitely have a competent plan. Not even sure signings high dollar FAs is part of that plan at the moment.

If whoever they draft 3rd looks to be a star caliber player, I would say in a year or two, they will become a serious player in FA and certainly will have assets to trade to acquire star players.

Tony_Starks
05-22-2014, 11:58 AM
Attractive? Not very. Somebody may come just for a paycheck but that's about it. They're best bet is to hope one of their young guys becomes a superstar because they will basically be fielding a college team the next few years...

MagicBucsSox
05-22-2014, 12:10 PM
we did land Brand when he was the top or one of the top FA's not too long ago...

True I forgot Brand but still was he not overpaid? I forget that deal but I know Philly got him bc the guy they wanted(josh smith) re-uped in atl

MagicBucsSox
05-22-2014, 12:21 PM
So you say your team never signed a good free agent and I say yes we have these are good free agents, now you say you can't go back that far.

So got called out, you got evidence showing your comment was wrong, and you change your argument.

You are not a man, a man does not change his argument or create new context so they can be right....that is for the weak.

I feel sorry for you and won't respond to you again because you will just change what you say so you can be right. I care about correct not right.

edit:

In your last statement you are implying that Moses Malone and Dr J aren't all time greats.....you are really sad in your attempts to argue.

Why are fans in Philly so overly emotional? I never changed my argument. I simply said you had to go back to the 70s & 80s. That's it. No big time FA sign with the sixers since. It's 2014 now.
And all I asked was clarification on what we're calling a "BIg time FA". Cause I'm talking Bosh n Bron to Miami,Shaq to LA , Kobe almost to LAC etc. Franchise changers. Not this Greg Monroe crap oh when Philly got webber,big dog etc

MonroeFAN
05-22-2014, 12:25 PM
Just want to point out that his name is Nerlens Noel, and not Noel Nerlens

TheIlladelph16
05-22-2014, 12:45 PM
What are your thoughts on Greg Monroe (23) to play and develop alongside Noel if we get Wiggins or Parker

edit:

Aside from Monroe I agree with you, I think its the smart play.

I wouldn't mind that at all. Although I don't see him as a star or anything but a really solid complimentary piece. It does depend on who we draft though. Say the Sixers end up with Embied and Noel, your investing a decent amount of money in a guy that will hopefully be displaced in the starting line up quickly.

2-ONE-5
05-22-2014, 01:09 PM
True I forgot Brand but still was he not overpaid? I forget that deal but I know Philly got him bc the guy they wanted(josh smith) re-uped in atl

took less to come here bcuz LAC had bird rights

chitown85
05-22-2014, 01:15 PM
Philly is a great city. I really enjoy going there, so I would say quality of life (especially as an NBA star) is pretty awesome in Philly. I would say based on city alone/they have some talent; it is a top ten destination.

3Blueforyou
05-22-2014, 01:32 PM
Like many posters have stated, this thread is a year or two early. Noel like many other big men will take time to develop. Also unless they draft Parker who is the most nba ready, they will be doing the same with this years pick. I think they could be an attractive place for say Kevin love or LaMarcus Alderidge in 2015 if either make free agency. Possibly Kevin Durant in 2016 if he makes it to free agency. This will be a better topic next time this year, cause I do believe they will be an attractive destination at this time.

cooters22
05-22-2014, 01:33 PM
These guys will basically go where the most money is offered.

Hawkeye15
05-22-2014, 03:24 PM

that is my opinion as well. They aren't close to competing, though they will potentially have a very nice young core going forward. They are better off saving that space until they have a couple of these youngsters (including their picks this year) grow up and become good prospects.

Quite frankly, I don't know much about Philly the city, so I can't say anything about it being attractive or not for a player outright. But as far as developing talent goes, they are going to be rich with it, potentially. That may not be attractive THIS year, but if a couple of those players really develop, it will be in a year or two.

sixer04fan
05-22-2014, 09:34 PM

This