PDA

View Full Version : What's the excuse for Durant?

raiderfaninTX
05-21-2014, 11:03 PM
Yeah I made this before the game is over

This dude is a ghost again in a playoff game.

Every series it's been the person defending him, **** that there's no excuse for his inconsistent ****** play.

No more ibaka excuses
no more defender excuses
No more westbrook excuses, seeing that westbrook has carried him in the playoffs

Please, this dude is Dirk 2.0, 7ft and soft as ****.

thoughts?

goingfor28
05-21-2014, 11:05 PM
The Spurs are just too good

still1ballin
05-21-2014, 11:06 PM
Needs more help. Should of never let go of harden

raiderfaninTX
The Spurs are just too good

but its been like this the majority of the playoffs

Kushed
Scott brooks is out the door as soon as this series is over.

Also, he ain't no LeBron LEGGO!

Kushed
05-21-2014, 11:07 PM

I agree. They should have dumped ibaka and got back a couple of cheap defending bigs.

ewing
05-21-2014, 11:10 PM
how many accounts does skip bayless have here?

mzgrizz
05-21-2014, 11:11 PM
I'd have to agree that he is soft. What he needs is a better shooting 5 that can watch his back. I saw a world of difference in Marc Gasol after we added ZBo. KD needs a big burly brother on his team, but hey! Their dysfunction suits me just fine.

flea
Their third best player is done for the series and the Spurs are the best team in the league. It's not like the Hawks are taking him to 7.

raiderfaninTX
whose the leader him or westbrook? IMO its westbrook

Nikeman
05-21-2014, 11:13 PM
The excuse? Ibaka.

All of these terribly easy lay-ups and inside the paint scoring would not be the case if Ibaka was in the game. The Thunder were 4-0 against these Spurs in the regular season and something like 10-2 in the past couple seasons I believe. Ibaka shuts down Timmy D and holds down the paint for the Thunder, Perkins lost the capability and Adams is just a rookie.

Last season he lost Westbrook, and then averaged 35+ the rest of the post-season, can't do much more than that.

ewing
05-21-2014, 11:13 PM
but its been like this the majority of the playoffs

he is averaging over 30 a game on 46% from the floor with 9 rebounds a night.

JC_
05-21-2014, 11:15 PM
whose the leader him or westbrook? IMO its westbrook

Ideally, it would be Durant because he's more level-headed. He just seems to not want that job.

raiderfaninTX
05-21-2014, 11:16 PM

If you've watched all their playoff games you would know that those stats don't tell the entire story. He has not been as good as what those stats look on paper. They are also only this far because of westbrook

JasonJohnHorn
First, Dirk has an MVP award AND a championship, so being Dirk 2.0 is a compliment.

Second, he doesn't need any excused. The team is in a funk because their third best player, best rebounder and best defender is injured. It changes the dynamic of the team.

cmellofan15

you could say that about any player who ever lost anything

ewing
05-21-2014, 11:17 PM
Ideally, it would be Durant because he's more level-headed. He just seems to not want that job.

seriously, he didn't step up at all in game 6 against the clips or game 7 against the Griz

JasonJohnHorn
05-21-2014, 11:17 PM

+1

Three of four bad games? BFD. It happens. "Most of the playoffs"? You don't put up averages like that and play bad "most" game. That is hyperbole.

bgdreton
05-21-2014, 11:18 PM
Scott brooks is out the door as soon as this series is over.

Also, he ain't no LeBron LEGGO!

HAHAH With Lebron they loose by maybe 10 -15...

raiderfaninTX
05-21-2014, 11:18 PM
+1

Three of four bad games? BFD. It happens. "Most of the playoffs"? You don't put up averages like that and play bad "most" game. That is hyperbole.

I am sure there's no bias in your opinion looking at your sig.

ewing
05-21-2014, 11:19 PM
If you've watched all their playoff games you would know that those stats don't tell the entire story. He has not been as good as what those stats look on paper. They are also only this far because of westbrook

no ****, Russel is one of the best players in the league in his own right and they played two very good teams

sens#11fan
05-21-2014, 11:20 PM
Kd needs to take this series as a learning curb and take it to the next level. Jordan did it after the losses to the pistons and lebron did it after countless failures with the cavs. KD needs to learn how to make his teammates better and get them more involved and he also needs to improve his defense. Im sure he is capable off accomplishing these feats as he is a hard worker. He has shown flashes of great play making abilities and his length and athleticism can help him become a better defender. Remember he is still young(25), although its not a great excuse but MJ and LBJ won their first at 28.

ewing
05-21-2014, 11:21 PM
+1

Seriously. I'm not saying Durrant is having some kind of historic playoff run but when did that become the expectation every year for every star player.

raiderfaninTX
05-21-2014, 11:21 PM
Kd needs to take this series as a learning curb and take it to the next level. Jordan did it after the losses to the pistons and lebron did it after countless failures with the cavs. KD needs to learn how to make his teammates better and get them more involved and he also needs to improve his defense. Im sure he is capable off accomplishing these feats as he is a hard worker. He has shown flashes of great play making abilities and his length and athleticism can help him become a better defender. Remember he is still young(25), although its not a great excuse but MJ and LBJ won their first at 28.

Great post, you nailed it.

koreancabbage
05-21-2014, 11:23 PM
I agree. They should have dumped ibaka and got back a couple of cheap defending bigs.

they shoould have gotten rid of PERKINS.

beyourself
05-21-2014, 11:26 PM
Has sports talk shows (not actual postgame analysis) started to ruin sports? Especially the NFL and NBA.

Everybody always wants to push a narrative. He choked, they choked, he's soft, he's not a franchise player. Whatever happened to a good old fashioned beatdown where 1 team destroyed another because they played better?

Whatever happened to explaining why 1 team beat another team. All of a sudden everybody can psychoanalyze.

The excuse is this, The Spurs just kicked there ***.

koreancabbage
05-21-2014, 11:27 PM
HAHAH With Lebron they loose by maybe 10 -15...

Lebron would get his teammates involved. Lebron would pass to open teammates. These same teammates are just standing around in the same place with no spacing. Durant is a great scorer but he has to learn to get teammates involved because that will help his cause later in the game. Trust your teammates and get them going.

and it could also be the coach.

ewing
05-21-2014, 11:28 PM
Has sports talk shows (not actual postgame analysis) started to ruin sports? Especially the NFL and NBA.

Everybody always wants to push a narrative. He choked, they choked, he's soft, he's not a franchise player. Whatever happened to a good old fashioned beatdown where 1 team destroyed another because they played better?

Whatever happened to explaining why 1 team beat another team. All of a sudden everybody can psychoanalyze.

The excuse is this, The Spurs just kicked there ***.

solid post

beyourself
05-21-2014, 11:29 PM
Lebron would get his teammates involved. Lebron would pass to open teammates. These same teammates are just standing around in the same place with no spacing. Durant is a great scorer but he has to learn to get teammates involved because that will help his cause later in the game. Trust your teammates and get them going.

For what it's worth Durant averaged 5.5 assists this year.

DallasTrilla23
05-21-2014, 11:30 PM

lolwut?

ewing
05-21-2014, 11:34 PM

they are different players. KD doesn't have LeBron's eyes and doesn't collapse defensive the way Bron does. I'm not saying he can't get better he is just more of a snipper by nature.

bgdreton
05-21-2014, 11:38 PM

Ok thats why I said maybe 10 or so..

bgdreton
05-21-2014, 11:40 PM
I dont have confidence in Scotty boy over there tho, he seems clueless.

More-Than-Most
05-21-2014, 11:41 PM

How much help do you want to give him? An all star team?

Max.This
05-21-2014, 11:58 PM
they dont play team ball. Every play is some short of iso play or jackup shot by westbrook. I watched him shoot 4 consecutive shots and only making one of them. Westbrook is a bonafide chucker and you only need one of them on a team. Westbrook needs to get his teammates involved when he drives in. They have enough talent, but they lack the concept of team ball that the spurs have. Spurs will win the title because somehow they are better than last year, while even the heat have slowed down

Dade County
05-22-2014, 12:12 AM

Every series it's been the person defending him, **** that there's no excuse for his inconsistent ****** play.

No more ibaka excuses
no more defender excuses
No more westbrook excuses, seeing that westbrook has carried him in the playoffs

thoughts?

Nothing is wrong with KD... If you have a problem with Episode 2 of the WCF, take that up with the producers and script writers.

How much help does he need...?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Im_in_Mia_bish
05-22-2014, 12:28 AM
Lol @ he's scoring 31.1 ppg as if that's the only thing in basketball.

Durant's defense has been nonexistent this whole playoffs and has been turning the ball over like crazy. In fact his PER is barely above 23 and his wS/48 is at a pathetic .171

Let's quick the act and give the blame. Yes Westbrook is part of the problem and so is Scott brooks, but the way some of you make it sound is as if Durant is not part of the problem.

Lol

JJ_JKidd
05-22-2014, 12:38 AM

No more ibaka excuses
no more defender excuses

thoughts?

No excuse. He has already won the MVP. Thats what matters for him, and not the Finals MVP. Thats what he plays for. Add to that the media dwelling on his greatness, scoring streaks, PER, WSs and other crap.

Avenged
05-22-2014, 01:02 AM

I thought harden sucked -_- llullz

scissors
05-22-2014, 01:18 AM

Yeah.. I stopped watching after this comment.

You obviously don't know Dirk's game at all. You just watched highlights of him shooting fade-aways.

Throughout the course of Dirk's career he always played the Spurs tough in the playoffs. Don't know if you mean mentally soft or physically. But neither is accurate about Dirk.

Wow. The ignorance.

torocan
05-22-2014, 01:24 AM
It's pretty simple.

No Ibaka. Ibaka is significant part of their offense in terms of relieving pressure on KD and Durant since he can shoot 3, shoot the mid-range and score at the rim. He's a HUGE part of their defense in that his shot blocking and shot altering makes it significantly harder to score in the paint. Perkins, Collison and Adams are pretty close to non-factors in terms of stretching the floor or creating their own shot. Right now they have 3 people who can't score on the floor because they can't stop paint penetration without Ibaka. This makes Westbrook and Durant much easier to defend.

They have a mediocre coach. Brooks is well-liked by the team and a decent motivator, but he doesn't hold a candle to Pops. Pops offensive system is about as good as it gets as it doesn't rely exclusively on a "Superstar" playing lights out. The game looks basically the same no matter who is on the floor whether it's the starters or the bench.

The Spurs organization has done a phenomenal job in terms of building and developing the roster. Pops and Buford have developed an incredibly deep team through a combination of smart trades, smart drafting, smart pick up in FA (players that other teams have given up on), and a fantastic system of player development.

Durant and WB are still VERY young. Durant and Westbrook are both only 25 years old. LBJ didn't win his first title until he was 27. MJ didn't win his first title until he was 28. Both of them are still developing and growing as players. Westbrook and Durant still have a ways to go in terms of creating shots for team mates. It doesn't help that they're in a limited offensive system.

OKC's bench is average to above average. The Spurs bench is the best in the NBA. OKC has gone from Harden to K-mart to what they have now. It's hard to beat a great team when you have limited help (11th bench in the NBA). So they're going to be at a disadvantage any time that the bench is playing against a team like the Spurs.

OKC needs to make some serious improvements in the off-season. Barring a miracle run by KD and WB they're most likely going fishing.

abe_froman
05-22-2014, 01:28 AM

No more ibaka excuses
no more defender excuses

thoughts?
first you call him a ghost than compare him to dirk(dirk guiding his team to a ring and another finals appearance with a career playoff average of 25/10 on 58%ts),so which is it?

as for kd,he should carry some blame,no doubt...but no ibaka is a legit thing and running into a better team

SugeKnight
05-22-2014, 01:32 AM
Dirk didn't shed the "soft" label until 2011.

Crackadalic
05-22-2014, 01:52 AM
Ibaka hurt yes but I've said this before if they don't change this two man offense and play more diverse on offense they won't get far. I can understand if they had one of KD or Westbrook but having both dynamic scorers is no excuse to still go ISO all the time

DWNTWNLakeShow
05-22-2014, 01:57 AM
She's a beast I call her karma

numba1CHANGsta
05-22-2014, 02:19 AM
The Spurs are good at playing mind tricks, they will shut you down psychologically. Durant needs to just be like "F It" and just go off on them without fear. Kobe overcame this fear after playing them for so many years.

mngopher35
05-22-2014, 02:50 AM
The Spurs are good at playing mind tricks, they will shut you down psychologically. Durant needs to just be like "F It" and just go off on them without fear. Kobe overcame this fear after playing them for so many years.

I'm sorry but what? Was it fear of Memphis that made him stuggle in the first round too then. How did he overcome the fear at 23 when he went off on the Spurs on the way to the finals? I have a hard time thinking it is fear that has him playing poorly to start the series.

Sactown
05-22-2014, 02:53 AM
The Spurs are a great team and they aren't going to let one man beat them, you need to move the ball and force them to rotate.. OKCs offense just bails the spurs out.. they just run a bunch of iso's with little ball movement...

naps
05-22-2014, 03:43 AM
Looks like Durant was just too happy winning his regular season MVP award. I mean one wouldn't expect that much emotion on winning a freaking MVP award from a player of his caliber. All the players who won their first (or only) MVP I can't recall anyone throwing such a long and emotional speech. He just made it look like he just won all he ever wanted in his life.

Ibaka out hurts OKC though. But it's safe to say even with Ibaka they would still have lost the series, specially the way these Spurs have been playing. OKC's offense is just too predictable as it's a two headed monster and no one else is expected to score much. Much easier to defend.

naps
05-22-2014, 03:46 AM
I'm sorry but what? Was it fear of Memphis that made him stuggle in the first round too then. How did he overcome the fear at 23 when he went off on the Spurs on the way to the finals? I have a hard time thinking it is fear that has him playing poorly to start the series.

Exactly. I was like what the hell is this fear all about. Kobe fans always brings in this kind of intangible stuff though to make him look great everywhere.

WadeKobe
05-22-2014, 03:55 AM
Durant is playin one of the toughest roads and is currently facing the best team in the NBA for two straight years. Great players struggle at times against great teams. It happens. No excuses, just reality.

We need to lose this nonsensical "god" narrative where the greats of yesterday never struggled in the playoffs against great teams. It's simply false and leads to ridiculous treatment of great players right in front of us.

We didn't enjoy Lebron's greatness in Cleveland because we were too busy comparing him to false images of Michael and Kobe, and now we are too busy criticizing Durant because of those same false images, or because we think to gives us one up for Levron.

Jus enjoy the greatness in front of us when it is here. We shouldn't have to wait ten years to talk about how great tees players were after they finally wonultiple rings. We should enjoy it now, even during the struggles, just like everyone else did before them.

Hawkeye15
05-22-2014, 04:10 AM
Excuse?

nah

People just need to accept he isnt LeBron. Not yet. Not even close.

Hawkeye15
05-22-2014, 04:12 AM
The Spurs are a great team and they aren't going to let one man beat them, you need to move the ball and force them to rotate.. OKCs offense just bails the spurs out.. they just run a bunch of iso's with little ball movement...

agree, but LeBron beat them for a title last year, with his cast playing meh. Sure Allens shot was amazing, but LeBron won it

mngopher35
05-22-2014, 04:26 AM
Durant is playin one of the toughest roads and is currently facing the best team in the NBA for two straight years. Great players struggle at times against great teams. It happens. No excuses, just reality.

We need to lose this nonsensical "god" narrative where the greats of yesterday never struggled in the playoffs against great teams. It's simply false and leads to ridiculous treatment of great players right in front of us.

We didn't enjoy Lebron's greatness in Cleveland because we were too busy comparing him to false images of Michael and Kobe, and now we are too busy criticizing Durant because of those same false images, or because we think to gives us one up for Levron.

Jus enjoy the greatness in front of us when it is here. We shouldn't have to wait ten years to talk about how great tees players were after they finally wonultiple rings. We should enjoy it now, even during the struggles, just like everyone else did before them.

Agreed. If this ends up being the worst of all his struggles it wasn't much anyways. What will matter more than anything is how he responds in following years and what he adds to his game, he's only 25. Anyways we should enjoy the rest of the series without feeling the need to bash him. It is what it is and he's (they are) at a huge disadvantage coaching wise and without Ibaka this series.

sammyvine
05-22-2014, 06:56 AM
Looks like Durant was just too happy winning his regular season MVP award. I mean one wouldn't expect that much emotion on winning a freaking MVP award from a player of his caliber. All the players who won their first (or only) MVP I can't recall anyone throwing such a long and emotional speech. He just made it look like he just won all he ever wanted in his life.

Ibaka out hurts OKC though. But it's safe to say even with Ibaka they would still have lost the series, specially the way these Spurs have been playing. OKC's offense is just too predictable as it's a two headed monster and no one else is expected to score much. Much easier to defend.

i find this someone weird
every-body is different
the award meant a lot to him? whats wrong with that lol

sammyvine
05-22-2014, 06:59 AM
agree, but LeBron beat them for a title last year, with his cast playing meh. Sure Allens shot was amazing, but LeBron won it

why does everything always come back to lebron with you? Just because he didnt struggle doesnt mean others won't. I remember threads were made about lebron being underpar in the first couple of games.

Lebron was the best player on the floor but ray allen won the heat that ring. if that shot doesnt go in the heat would have lost. How can you say that Lebron won them that game?

Are you actually for real or are you that much of a fanboy that you can't see anything past Lebron being great?

IKnowHoops
05-22-2014, 07:09 AM
why does everything always come back to lebron with you? Just because he didnt struggle doesnt mean others won't. I remember threads were made about lebron being underpar in the first couple of games.

Lebron was the best player on the floor but ray allen won the heat that ring. if that shot doesnt go in the heat would have lost. How can you say that Lebron won them that game?

Are you actually for real or are you that much of a fanboy that you can't see anything past Lebron being great?

Big shots happen in every series. I don't think Fisher or Horry won the rings for LA, they just contributed. I don't think Sean Elliot won the Spurs there ring when he hit a shot that was just as improbable as Ray Allen's but you never hear about Sean Elliot winning a ring for the spurs. One shot is not as important as the 33/10/7 that it took to be in that position no matter where the shot takes place. Did Kerr and Paxon win rings for the Bulls or did they just make nice shots on the Back of Michael. Ray did his Job, Kerr did his Job, Paxon did his Job, Horry did his Job, but Shaq, Jordan, Lebron, and Duncan won those rings. A lot of 3pt marksman could of made these shots, but in each instance, only one man could of put the team on there back and carried them to the ship. Thats the difference, and thats why Lebron won it cause he carried the team and lade the bricks while the rest along the way put cement in the cracks hear and there.

koreancabbage
05-22-2014, 07:44 AM

you're an idiot to think one Ray Allen shot won them the chip. that shot TIED the game. Kind of funny of what you said above because you're wrong on both accounts

1) Ray Allen won them the chip (no, it was the play of Lebron and Wade - any idiot can see that, haters blinded by their hater shades are crowning Ray Allen as reason why the Heat won the chip lol)
2) Ray Allen won them the game (well not really, he tied the game, then the Heat won the game in OT)

As much luck was needed to win that game, Lebron carried them the entire series. Without the contributions of timely shots from role players, players like Kobe or Shaq or Duncan and company would not have as many rings possibly. I'm sure everyone has noted Lebron did miss that final shot of his but its all part of the game. Even Kobe missed more clutch moments in his career than most fans would care/remember for but he was an awesome player in his prime.

Ray Allen played his role and that shot was doing his job. He's the Derek Fisher or the Robert Horry equivalent for the Heat team. Can't you except that?

Jamiecballer
05-22-2014, 08:33 AM
I'll never criticize Durant until he's free of Westbrook, just as I would never be overly critical of Jordan James or Kobe if his point guard were Iverson. Its not fair. If he gets a legit point guard I'd be more inclined to scrutinize his performance.

sammyvine
05-22-2014, 08:43 AM
I'll never criticize Durant until he's free of Westbrook, just as I would never be overly critical of Jordan James or Kobe if his point guard were Iverson. Its not fair. If he gets a legit point guard I'd be more inclined to scrutinize his performance.

Aye awful chemistry

ewing
05-22-2014, 08:47 AM
Excuse?

nah

People just need to accept he isnt LeBron. Not yet. Not even close.

i agree he is not LeBron but i think what people need to realize is that these none of these guys are Gods. I remember Micheal's double nickle game, David Robinson 70 point night, etc. I never expected them to reproduce it every night

KnicksorBust
05-22-2014, 09:13 AM

No more ibaka excuses
no more defender excuses

thoughts?

That was a nice compliment you gave Durant. I too think he has the potential to overcome the odds and win a Finals MVP.

koreancabbage
05-22-2014, 09:17 AM
That was a nice compliment you gave Durant. I too think he has the potential to overcome the odds and win a Finals MVP.

at this point and time its more possible that Westbrook would win the Finals MVP IF they made it that far and IF they won the championship.

D-Leethal
05-22-2014, 09:31 AM

LeBron was ghost and terrified to shoot right up until Allen saved the day. I even had Chronz admit he was playing like a guy scared of failure in that series.

ManRam
05-22-2014, 09:32 AM
Losing to a superior team without their 3rd best player.

Without Ibaka it's really just he and Russy vs. the world. It's not gonna work against the Spurs.

LongIslandIcedZ
05-22-2014, 09:38 AM
People on forums like this, are just as bad as the media when it comes to trying to create their own story.

He doesn't have an excuse. He's on the inferior team right now. They are missing their third best player, and they don't have much talent beyond those three.

Also, series isn't over yet...

OnePostOnly
05-22-2014, 10:22 AM
Spurs are too talented

SouthSideRookie
05-22-2014, 10:37 AM
It's pretty simple.

No Ibaka. Ibaka is significant part of their offense in terms of relieving pressure on KD and Durant since he can shoot 3, shoot the mid-range and score at the rim. He's a HUGE part of their defense in that his shot blocking and shot altering makes it significantly harder to score in the paint. Perkins, Collison and Adams are pretty close to non-factors in terms of stretching the floor or creating their own shot. Right now they have 3 people who can't score on the floor because they can't stop paint penetration without Ibaka. This makes Westbrook and Durant much easier to defend.

They have a mediocre coach. Brooks is well-liked by the team and a decent motivator, but he doesn't hold a candle to Pops. Pops offensive system is about as good as it gets as it doesn't rely exclusively on a "Superstar" playing lights out. The game looks basically the same no matter who is on the floor whether it's the starters or the bench.

The Spurs organization has done a phenomenal job in terms of building and developing the roster. Pops and Buford have developed an incredibly deep team through a combination of smart trades, smart drafting, smart pick up in FA (players that other teams have given up on), and a fantastic system of player development.

Durant and WB are still VERY young. Durant and Westbrook are both only 25 years old. LBJ didn't win his first title until he was 27. MJ didn't win his first title until he was 28. Both of them are still developing and growing as players. Westbrook and Durant still have a ways to go in terms of creating shots for team mates. It doesn't help that they're in a limited offensive system.

OKC's bench is average to above average. The Spurs bench is the best in the NBA. OKC has gone from Harden to K-mart to what they have now. It's hard to beat a great team when you have limited help (11th bench in the NBA). So they're going to be at a disadvantage any time that the bench is playing against a team like the Spurs.

OKC needs to make some serious improvements in the off-season. Barring a miracle run by KD and WB they're most likely going fishing.

http://media.fyre.co/oI8fO2CZTUar0yscUho7_1400375946398.jpg

A healthy OKC team has the team to beat the Spurs. Sure they don't have Harden anymore but Durant is better and RJ has taken Harden's role, he usually goes off vs SA. BTW, OKC is 6-2 vs SA after the Harden trade.

Had it not been for the Westbrook's injury and now Ibaka's, people would be singing a different tune.

Just like 2 years ago, when a healthy, inexperienced OKC team beat them 4 straight.

Leonard outscored Wade in game 6 in regulation.

Lebron came up huge in crunch time and willed the Heat on offense and defense in the 4th to win game 6.

they dont play team ball. Every play is some short of iso play or jackup shot by westbrook. I watched him shoot 4 consecutive shots and only making one of them. Westbrook is a bonafide chucker and you only need one of them on a team. Westbrook needs to get his teammates involved when he drives in. They have enough talent, but they lack the concept of team ball that the spurs have. Spurs will win the title because somehow they are better than last year, while even the heat have slowed down

If what you're claiming is true then why is it that history says teams who have the best player(s) usually win titles, and not necessarily "team ball". You do realize that superstars will isolate more times than not. Sure you'll see a Houston with Olajuwon, Pistons team, or a Mavericks team win a title. But that's not the norm. There's a reason why the Rockets traded for Drexler, even after they won a title. In fact, the Heat won the title just last year because they had the best player in the league, and "team ball" wasn't enough.

LeBron was ghost and terrified to shoot right up until Allen saved the day. I even had Chronz admit he was playing like a guy scared of failure in that series.

Lebron was 3-12 for 14pts in the 1st 3 Qtrs.

He went 7-10 with 16pts in the 4th Q. Tell me where he was ghost or terrified.

And do you or anyone else really need a reminder on the monster, clutch game he had in game 7?

Seriously the hate many here have for Lebron or certain players will blind people from reality.

KnicksorBust
05-22-2014, 10:56 AM
at this point and time its more possible that Westbrook would win the Finals MVP IF they made it that far and IF they won the championship.

How on earth do you figure that? It's not like Westbrook won the league MVP. It's basically universally accepted Durant is their team leader, best player, and greatest contributor.

scissors
05-22-2014, 11:30 AM
Dirk didn't shed the "soft" label until 2011.

That doesn't mean it was true until then.

In fact - 2011 and after he has been softer than he ever was.

ManRam
05-22-2014, 11:31 AM
How on earth do you figure that? It's not like Westbrook won the league MVP. It's basically universally accepted Durant is their team leader, best player, and greatest contributor.

He think he figures it by being aware that Westbrook has been as good, if not better, than KD these playoffs. Not sure how last night's game impacts the stats, but entering last night statistically he had been better in most ways of going about discerning that.

FlashBolt
05-22-2014, 11:40 AM
Westbrook is the leader.
How do you know?
He's taking more shots and commands the ball more than Durant.
Durant needs to step it up.
Losing Ibaka hurts you defensively but offensively, he's not that type of player. No excuse to shoot 5-15. He needs to step it up because if that was LeBron playing, he would not hear the end of it.

slashsnake
05-22-2014, 11:53 AM

If Chronz says it, it must be true. What is Chronz?

So he hit the three to make it a one score game late, took the potential game tying shot, then scored or assisted on every bucket to win in overtime including the go ahead basket.

Lebron had 16 points in that 4th quarter, and he's a ghost like Durant having 15 in an entire game?

At that point Ray Allen was 1-6 with 2 points in that game. Bosh hadn't made a shot since the opening minutes of the 2nd half. Wade had 2 free throws in the 4th and hadn't made a shot since a few minutes left in the third. Ray made an all time great clutch shot, but it would have been to pull Miami within 30 if Lebron hadn't played as well as he did up to that point.

Lebron scored 21 in the 3rd and 4th quarters, Wade, Bosh, and Allen combined for 12.

Hawkeye15
05-22-2014, 01:37 PM
The Thunder need a new coach. They play waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much isolation.

Look, I know LeBron haters loved this year, because they thought he was finally going to be surpassed. But Durant is not LeBron James. He just isn't. But, he is an amazing player who can realize success. I just think Brooks needs to go, and a coach that can come in and establish more of an actual offense, while Presti tweaks the role players, can go a long way.

Durant is 25. Plenty of time for him to succeed.

Tony_Starks
05-22-2014, 02:37 PM
The MVP struggles and somehow someway it's still about Lebron? Um ok.

Anyway why does he have to have a excuse? Couldn't he just be one of many great players that hasn't performed well, against the best team in the league at that?

Sheesh the series isn't even over, cut the guy some slack....

Hawkeye15
05-22-2014, 03:17 PM

you didn't watch the 4th quarter apparently.....

Hawkeye15
05-22-2014, 03:18 PM
The MVP struggles and somehow someway it's still about Lebron? Um ok.

Anyway why does he have to have a excuse? Couldn't he just be one of many great players that hasn't performed well, against the best team in the league at that?

Sheesh the series isn't even over, cut the guy some slack....

the series isn't technically over, but the chances the Thunder win are slim as hell.

And yes, Durant is earning criticism. FINALLY.

And it's about time if I might add

beyourself
05-22-2014, 04:05 PM
the series isn't technically over, but the chances the Thunder win are slim as hell.

And yes, Durant is earning criticism. FINALLY.

And it's about time if I might add

Criticism for what? What can you say? His team is getting spanked by the Spurs, he's not saying anything stupid. It's just a classic beatdown, What's the big deal?

Tony_Starks
05-22-2014, 04:18 PM
I believe I have seen it all. KD is actually getting hated on for NOT getting hated on enough.

chitown85
05-22-2014, 04:31 PM
He is human.

cmellofan15
05-22-2014, 04:46 PM
I believe I have seen it all. KD is actually getting hated on for NOT getting hated on enough.

I wouldn't call criticism hating. He has been in everyone's good graces despite his shortcomings and he is about to face actual criticism for the first time in his career. Everyone goes through it; Kobe, Lebron, Melo, hell even Dirk. I think it is appropriate that we hold him to those same standards.

But there is hating, and that comes with it. People who call LeBron 'LeBrick', people who talk about Kobe's little fiasco in Colorado, etc. People will hate but I don't think this is one of those instances.

Tony_Starks
05-22-2014, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't call criticism hating. He has been in everyone's good graces despite his shortcomings and he is about to face actual criticism for the first time in his career. Everyone goes through it; Kobe, Lebron, Melo, hell even Dirk. I think it is appropriate that we hold him to those same standards.

But there is hating, and that comes with it. People who call LeBron 'LeBrick', people who talk about Kobe's little fiasco in Colorado, etc. People will hate but I don't think this is one of those instances.

He's taken his fair share of criticism in the past though. Coming up short in the finals. His fourth quarter failings against Memphis last year. At times being to passive and deferring to Westbrook.

He's gets criticized plenty I think some people just really resent that his has this "nice guy" image in comparison to the Lebrons of the world....

5ass
05-22-2014, 05:31 PM
He's taken his fair share of criticism in the past though. Coming up short in the finals. His fourth quarter failings against Memphis last year. At times being to passive and deferring to Westbrook.

He's gets criticized plenty I think some people just really resent that his has this "nice guy" image in comparison to the Lebrons of the world....
Still most of the blame always goes to the coach and teammates (Westbrook).

Jamiecballer
05-22-2014, 05:40 PM
Diarrhea?

FlashBolt
05-22-2014, 05:42 PM

No, people just want Durant to get what LeBron gets every time he loses. Don't deny that he's receiving little compared to what LeBron received. Durant is the MVP. He had two horrible performances and Westbrook is questionably playing better than he has. I expect more than 5/16 and not playing defense.

ManRam
05-22-2014, 05:45 PM

I'm not gonna sit here and talk **** on KD, because it's dumb and I don't think it's necessarily fair (in a perfect world, at least). But there's nothing wrong with people pointing out how he gets a free pass that his predecessors didn't get. Because that point is true.

Kashmir13579
05-22-2014, 06:57 PM
[QUOTE=ewing:28526855]how many accounts does skip bayless have here?[/QUOTE lol

Tony_Starks
05-22-2014, 07:08 PM
No, people just want Durant to get what LeBron gets every time he loses. Don't deny that he's receiving little compared to what LeBron received. Durant is the MVP. He had two horrible performances and Westbrook is questionably playing better than he has. I expect more than 5/16 and not playing defense.

His home newspaper has called him out in the playoffs. He's been criticized daily on TNT, espn, and nbaTv. I'm not sure what else you want people to do start protesting?

As far as Lebron he made his own bed with not only his antics but epic chokes and he's not the first player to do so. If you're going to be considered "the best player on the planet" be prepared for the most scrutiny.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-22-2014, 07:15 PM
They're facing a better team and are missing their 3rd best player/best defender. Also doesn't help the Brooks is vastly inferior to one of the top four head coaches of all time. With Ibaka injured, I'm not surprised at how the series has gone.

beyourself
05-22-2014, 07:22 PM
His home newspaper has called him out in the playoffs. He's been criticized daily on TNT, espn, and nbaTv. I'm not sure what else you want people to do start protesting?

Exactly. What more do people want? For there to be a riot outside Durant's house with people setting his lawn on fire?

Red_Pill
05-22-2014, 07:29 PM
They're facing a better team and are missing their 3rd best player/best defender. Also doesn't help the Brooks is vastly inferior to one of the top four head coaches of all time. With Ibaka injured, I'm not surprised at how the series has gone.

If anything, this just exposes how badly Scott Brooks has coached this Thunder team. He's made poor adjustments, and his offensive system is a piece of ****. Literally, it's Westbrook and Durant ISO's 85% of the time. If this team had a coach who understood how to run an offense, this team would be that much better. It's honestly a testament to Durant, Westbrook, and Ibakas abilities that they've been able to come this far with such an inept coach.

BALLER R
05-22-2014, 07:59 PM
Durant needs the Grizzlies roster. OKC roster doesn't compliment each other.
Brooks has no control over his team.
Westbrook does what it wants.
For some reason Durant is taking a back seat to Westbrook.
Westbrook dominates the ball for too much and has too much freedom.
I've been saying this for the past 3 years. Westbrook needs to be on a team where he's the best player.
He can't playing as the 2nd guy.

Also Durant disinterested or what. I'm not sure but most games during this series you don't even realize he's on the court.

Bostonjorge
05-22-2014, 08:03 PM
There is no excuse for Durant beating the spurs in 7 instead of 4.

Tony_Starks
05-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Exactly. What more do people want? For there to be a riot outside Durant's house with people setting his lawn on fire?

Lol! They want mass hysteria, anti-KD rallies!

ewing
05-22-2014, 08:38 PM
you didn't watch the 4th quarter apparently.....

Bron was scared to shoot for the majority of that series. The Spurs were daring him to shoot 17 footers and he i don't think he hit one until game 4. He came out in the closer and played a hell of a game but was a little to have the opportunity to redeem himself.

Hawkeye15
05-22-2014, 09:44 PM

hated on? No, he is getting such a pass for his play compared to the people he should be compared to is all.

Hate gets thrown around so much on this site, its ridiculous.

bucketss
05-22-2014, 09:48 PM

not more help, but a different kind of help

bucketss
05-22-2014, 09:54 PM

like iverson said.. they love you now.. but they're waiting. i remember when durant was untouchable :)

Crackadalic
05-22-2014, 09:58 PM
Can you imagine the heat without bosh despite people hating on him. He help that defense at critical moments during the playoffs

If somehow pippin was hurt in a few of Jordan's championship years

When kg got hurt and only had rondo/Allen/pierce and didn't advance in the ecf?

Durant deserves some blame but the dude isn't a damn my player mode player. He can't put up 40/12/6.

Westbrook isn't helping him get better looks and Scott brooks since before the playoffs as I said stinks on offensive creativity. O and ibaka,third best player, is hurt and spurs are having layup lines like it's practice

But nah let's put the blame on Durant for not being a defensive pf that is suppose to anchor the defense and be a top notch scorer at the same time

Also Memphis? Top notch defensive team
Clippers? Had them going to the finals if not for some epic chocking
Spurs? Best record without ibaka

But somehow he's not getting it done because he's not average 2k numbers

naps
05-22-2014, 10:01 PM

What failure? Dude was already a champion and 4 time MVP up until that point. What would he be scared of again? He had 32/12/11 that night and he even took that three off which Bosh grabbed that rebound. What was he scared of again? GTFO!

Hawkeye15
05-22-2014, 10:05 PM
Bron was scared to shoot for the majority of that series. The Spurs were daring him to shoot 17 footers and he i don't think he hit one until game 4. He came out in the closer and played a hell of a game but was a little to have the opportunity to redeem himself.

he was attacking the rim because his jump shot was good enough he was being pressed. 25-11-7 on 44.5% shooting against the Spurs is very good.

Again, someone didn't watch the 4th quarter (responding to D). He killed it to even get them back in the game.

ewing
05-22-2014, 10:14 PM
he was attacking the rim because his jump shot was good enough he was being pressed. 25-11-7 on 44.5% shooting against the Spurs is very good.

Again, someone didn't watch the 4th quarter (responding to D). He killed it to even get them back in the game.

i remember after game 2 i think he shot like 7 for 22 and mike francesa said "man if you ever defended micheal jordan like that he would have shot 50 times regardless of how many went down". he was right. The Spurs dared Lebron to shoot from 17 or 18 feet. He redeemed himself but it was not a great series for Bron and i think if Tony doesn't get hurt its not remembered well.

Hawkeye15
05-22-2014, 10:46 PM
i remember after game 2 i think he shot like 7 for 22 and mike francesa said "man if you ever defended micheal jordan like that he would have shot 50 times regardless of how many went down". he was right. The Spurs dared Lebron to shoot from 17 or 18 feet. He redeemed himself but it was not a great series for Bron and i think if Tony doesn't get hurt its not remembered well.

LeBron isn't MJ or Kobe, who would shoot a million times with no care. That is not his game. If people want LeBron to be the guy who just jacks up shots all night long with no care in the world, they will be disappointed. Its why, over the past few years, and even beforehand when his team totally overachieved, LeBron is tough to deal with. You cant force his hand. He will take what the defense gives him. You wall around him, he will get his teammates involved. You play him straight up, he is attacking the rim.

ewing
05-22-2014, 10:49 PM
LeBron isn't MJ or Kobe, who would shoot a million times with no care. That is not his game. If people want LeBron to be the guy who just jacks up shots all night long with no care in the world, they will be disappointed. Its why, over the past few years, and even beforehand when his team totally overachieved, LeBron is tough to deal with. You cant force his hand. He will take what the defense gives him. You wall around him, he will get his teammates involved. You play him straight up, he is attacking the rim.

they were giving him wide up 18 foot jump shots.

Jamiecballer
05-22-2014, 10:52 PM

Oh give it up already. That's the worst shot in basketball anyways.

mngopher35
05-22-2014, 10:56 PM

That is true, the first few games he was more passive than he should have been. When he is off he generally doesn't force it, that will definitely happen with him at times. The funny thing is everyone was on his case similar to how some are now for Durant. It is odd how people feel the need to attack his finals performance (still, after a fmvp and ridiculous game 7) yet some don't want people to do the same for Durant this post season (nearly being outplayed by Westbrook and clearly struggling by his standards).

He followed it up by playing better and more aggressive the rest of the series though (32, 10, 7 on good efficiency final 4 games). That other poster is ridiculous to say he was playing scared and a ghost then because he actually took on more responsibility the more the series went on and his team needed it (especially from the 4th quarter of game 6 down 10 and on). He had a couple of misses in there for sure but no one can be perfect.

ewing
05-22-2014, 11:08 PM
That is true, the first few games he was more passive than he should have been. When he is off he generally doesn't force it, that will definitely happen with him at times. The funny thing is everyone was on his case similar to how some are now for Durant. It is odd how people feel the need to attack his finals performance (still, after a fmvp and ridiculous game 7) yet some don't want people to do the same for Durant this post season (nearly being outplayed by Westbrook and clearly struggling by his standards).

He followed it up by playing better and more aggressive the rest of the series though (32, 10, 7 on good efficiency final 4 games). That other poster is ridiculous to say he was playing scared and a ghost then because he actually took on more responsibility the more the series went on and his team needed it (especially from the 4th quarter of game 6 down 10 and on). He had a couple of misses in there for sure but no one can be perfect.

taking a open shot from 17 with your feet set should never seem like a force. I don't think it will be for Bron this year and its why i have no idea how this will play out

Bring The Heat
05-22-2014, 11:11 PM
It's simple The Spurs are just a better team.. They are moving the ball and getting high percentage shots and playing solid defense... Durant is not a "choker" by any means, he isn't superman where he can just take on 5 guys... We put too much into this "superstar" thing. Yes they are a great players but at the same time it is a team game and the spurs are doing a great job by making other people besides Durant beat them. It doesn't help when Westbrook takes absolutely horrific shots and doesn't get the offense involved.

If you watch the game The Spurs pretty much get whatever shot they want on offense.. Pick and roll, collapse the defense.. Pass Pass and you got Danny Green/Leonard hitting an open three. Durant needs a better team to compliment him.. Missing Ibaka is obviously hurting this team but they need more than just him.

mngopher35
05-22-2014, 11:20 PM
taking a open shot from 17 with your feet set should never seem like a force. I don't think it will be for Bron this year and its why i have no idea how this will play out

Yup ignore everything else and focus on that. Sure he should have taken the shots (did I not say he was too passive?). That just isn't what he does though, he takes what the defense gives him and when he is off he won't force it. Look at what he did the rest of the series in response. Please reply to the rest of the post though, or do you agree yet still want to press the issue?

Tony_Starks
05-22-2014, 11:23 PM
A lot of lip flapping for a series that's only 2 games in. I believe I'll wait to reserve my judgement for IF the MVP actually loses and chokes this series away. And that's a big IF.....

mngopher35
05-22-2014, 11:28 PM
A lot of lip flapping for a series that's only 2 games in. I believe I'll wait to reserve my judgement for IF the MVP actually loses and chokes this series away. And that's a big IF.....

I agree here, there is definitely still time for him to turn things around this series. They have a couple of home games coming up now...

ewing
05-23-2014, 12:01 AM
Yup ignore everything else and focus on that. Sure he should have taken the shots (did I not say he was too passive?). That just isn't what he does though, he takes what the defense gives him and when he is off he won't force it. Look at what he did the rest of the series in response. Please reply to the rest of the post though, or do you agree yet still want to press the issue?

i don't know what you are talking about. I am being honest. He shoot 44% for the series b/c he played a good part of the series scared on O. He did not have great series. He got the opportunity to step up and redeem himself and he did and that is what will ultimately be remembered. He was great in the 4th of game 6 and all of game 7. Still, it wasn't about the Spurs taking away scoring opportunities and him having to or not forcing. He shot poorly for the series b/c for a large portion he was scared to shoot. If you are a scorer which LeBron is and you shoot 44% with a team daring you to shoot shots that you should take you are not playing well offensively. I think getting the opportunity to redeem himself and stepping up was a great experience for him and will only make him better but the Spurs had a shot last year cause it took Bron time to step up.

ewing
05-23-2014, 12:02 AM
I agree here, there is definitely still time for him to turn things around this series. They have a couple of home games coming up now...

i think so too i don't think the Thunder are coming back but KD is damn good and will have his moments.

mngopher35
05-23-2014, 12:35 AM
i don't know what you are talking about. I am being honest. He shoot 44% for the series b/c he played a good part of the series scared on O. He did not have great series. He got the opportunity to step up and redeem himself and he did and that is what will ultimately be remembered. He was great in the 4th of game 6 and all of game 7. Still, it wasn't about the Spurs taking away scoring opportunities and him having to or not forcing. He shot poorly for the series b/c for a large portion he was scared to shoot. If you are a scorer which LeBron is and you shoot 44% with a team daring you to shoot shots that you should take you are not playing well offensively. I think getting the opportunity to redeem himself and stepping up was a great experience for him and will only make him better but the Spurs had a shot last year cause it took Bron time to step up.

This is where we disagree, Lebron is not a scorer. He is an all-around player who takes what is given to him. Yes he does score a ton but he is considered the best player in the league but not best scorer for a reason. Durant is a better scorer than him yet still just went 5-16. So he is scared too? I think people who think these athletes are out there "scared" are kind of funny. Just because someone is a more passive type of player doesn't mean he is out there scared. If someone is not playing particularly well I would rather them find other ways to contribute than force the issue generally anyways (although in this case he may have needed to press more).

We are a year removed yet people in this thread decide it is a good idea to call out Lebron for a series where he redeemed himself by killing it the last 4 games and his team won the title. He did not get scared or go ghost, he had a few games where he was too passive and then proceeded to adjust and dominate as the series progressed (the opposite of going ghost actually). Why in the world are we focusing on blame for him right now? He won finals mvp for a reason it is time to move on.

It is people who harp on things like this that make it so others want to bash Durant. It is a clear double standard for Lebron at times for many people on here and some want Durant held to the same types of standards.Where was Durant when Reggie Jackson played hero vs. Memphis in the first round (not just a single shot but an entire game where they were already down 2-1)? Why was Westbrook looking like the better player for a large chunk of the Clippers series? Now they are down 0-2 to the Spurs. Nope let's focus on Lebron last year instead.

Every player has their struggles so think people on here go overboard a lot of the time. What I listed above are things that many people want to just let slide while we have some focusing on what Lebron did wrong at the beginning of a finals series last year which he closed out in tremendous fashion. It is just how PSD works though.

Edit: To be clear it isn't just you and it doesn't just happen in this thread. It is a common occurrence to call him (and Kobe as well) out for random things in threads. This is why some feel Durant should be getting similar treatment. He hasn't played up to standards this post season and now that he is an MVP it seems people are going to treat him similar. Like I said I think failures are overblown on PSD in general.

bucketss
05-23-2014, 12:40 AM
thunder are not gonna win this series. durant will probably play better but its done IMO, its only one year though dude isn't even in his prime.

mngopher35
05-23-2014, 12:42 AM
thunder are not gonna win this series. durant will probably play better but its done IMO, its only one year though dude isn't even in his prime.

He probably hasn't peaked, but I would be surprised if this isn't considered part of his prime.

mngopher35
05-23-2014, 12:50 AM
i think so too i don't think the Thunder are coming back but KD is damn good and will have his moments.

Ya, for them to win it would take more than just him stepping up. I think he will play better though and hopefully they can make the next games at home and possibly even tie up the series.

Munkeysuit
05-23-2014, 12:57 AM
Lets be real for a second...Durant is a MONSTER! ...I think the real basketball fans can see whats going wrong here *cough cough* Russel *cough cough* Westbrook *cough*

Hawkeye15
05-23-2014, 01:07 AM

so? They were giving him the most inefficient shot in basketball. Kudos to him for not taking them

bucketss
05-23-2014, 01:15 AM
Lets be real for a second...Durant is a MONSTER! ...I think the real basketball fans can see whats going wrong here *cough cough* Russel *cough cough* Westbrook *cough*

s
m
d
h

TheIlladelph16
05-23-2014, 01:20 AM
Spurs are one of the premier franchises in the NBA with at least one HOFer and they're coming off a finals trip last year. They also have the best coach in the NBA. I want to see Durant get a bit more grief in general but sometimes you just run into a better team.

ewing
05-23-2014, 08:08 AM
This is where we disagree, Lebron is not a scorer. He is an all-around player who takes what is given to him. Yes he does score a ton but he is considered the best player in the league but not best scorer for a reason. Durant is a better scorer than him yet still just went 5-16. So he is scared too? I think people who think these athletes are out there "scared" are kind of funny. Just because someone is a more passive type of player doesn't mean he is out there scared. If someone is not playing particularly well I would rather them find other ways to contribute than force the issue generally anyways (although in this case he may have needed to press more).

We are a year removed yet people in this thread decide it is a good idea to call out Lebron for a series where he redeemed himself by killing it the last 4 games and his team won the title. He did not get scared or go ghost, he had a few games where he was too passive and then proceeded to adjust and dominate as the series progressed (the opposite of going ghost actually). Why in the world are we focusing on blame for him right now? He won finals mvp for a reason it is time to move on.

It is people who harp on things like this that make it so others want to bash Durant. It is a clear double standard for Lebron at times for many people on here and some want Durant held to the same types of standards.Where was Durant when Reggie Jackson played hero vs. Memphis in the first round (not just a single shot but an entire game where they were already down 2-1)? Why was Westbrook looking like the better player for a large chunk of the Clippers series? Now they are down 0-2 to the Spurs. Nope let's focus on Lebron last year instead.

Every player has their struggles so think people on here go overboard a lot of the time. What I listed above are things that many people want to just let slide while we have some focusing on what Lebron did wrong at the beginning of a finals series last year which he closed out in tremendous fashion. It is just how PSD works though.

Edit: To be clear it isn't just you and it doesn't just happen in this thread. It is a common occurrence to call him (and Kobe as well) out for random things in threads. This is why some feel Durant should be getting similar treatment. He hasn't played up to standards this post season and now that he is an MVP it seems people are going to treat him similar. Like I said I think failures are overblown on PSD in general.

i think you have been pretty even handed in the way you saw the series. The idea the Bron isn't a scorer is ridiculous and he did not kill it the final 4 games. He killed it in game 4 and the final 5 quarters. Still the rest of you post is pretty right on. I wouldn't make an issue of it if it didn't seem like some posters were reaching to excuse him when he played poorly. You are right, all player struggle, including Bron and thats why it annoys me when someone as smart as Hawk gives Bron credit for passing up shots when his team needed him to score and the Spur were picking up screen roll around the defensive charge circle.

ewing
05-23-2014, 08:11 AM
so? They were giving him the most inefficient shot in basketball. Kudos to him for not taking them

dear god :facepalm:

slashsnake
05-23-2014, 11:44 AM
He shot 150 shots in that series, by far more than anyone else. That's not really selling the "he is scared to shoot". He won game 7 of the finals with his jump shot, which is the weakest part of his scoring game. If you are the all time leader in scoring in game 7's in the playoffs (passing Jordan), maybe you aren't that scared to shoot in the big moments.

If you can score 69 points in the two games with your back against the wall in do or die games of an NBA finals, outscoring the combined scoring of Wade, Bosh and Allen in those games... maybe we are putting just a little to much into the "he's too scared to shoot in the big moments".

D-Leethal
05-23-2014, 11:56 AM
He shot 150 shots in that series, by far more than anyone else. That's not really selling the "he is scared to shoot". He won game 7 of the finals with his jump shot, which is the weakest part of his scoring game. If you are the all time leader in scoring in game 7's in the playoffs (passing Jordan), maybe you aren't that scared to shoot in the big moments.

If you can score 69 points in the two games with your back against the wall in do or die games of an NBA finals, outscoring the combined scoring of Wade, Bosh and Allen in those games... maybe we are putting just a little to much into the "he's too scared to shoot in the big moments".

I do think its pretty interesting to dissect his psyche. I think part of it is a rhythm thing. IIRC, Game 7 he drilled his first jumper and never looked back. I think if he missed one or 2 you might have seen the fragile LeBron come out. Its clear the guy cares what people think about him, he overthinks and psyches himself out, he sits on the sidelines chewing his fingernails which I think any Psych major will tell you is the sign of a nervous wreck. Nobody will ever describe LeBron as "fearless". But when he is on, he is on, and he is the best player in the world bar none and top 5 all time. Its not impossible to appreciate his greatness and acknowledge his fragility. He is A-Rod with more class.

Chronz
05-23-2014, 12:22 PM
I do think its pretty interesting to dissect his psyche. I think part of it is a rhythm thing. IIRC, Game 7 he drilled his first jumper and never looked back. I think if he missed one or 2 you might have seen the fragile LeBron come out. Its clear the guy cares what people think about him, he overthinks and psyches himself out, he sits on the sidelines chewing his fingernails which I think any Psych major will tell you is the sign of a nervous wreck. Nobody will ever describe LeBron as "fearless". But when he is on, he is on, and he is the best player in the world bar none and top 5 all time. Its not impossible to appreciate his greatness and acknowledge his fragility. He is A-Rod with more class.

I remember thinking Bron was going to have himself a game when he splashed his first jumper in the elimination game vs Dallas. Nope, was still contained.
Hes more like Magic in how he approaches the game from a scoring standpoint. More focused on getting the team going than himself. Hes won/lost with multiple approaches, sometimes too aggressive, others too passive. I dont focus too much on the intention, just what he gets out of it. Dallas was prolly his worst showing, since then hes been great.

Chronz
05-23-2014, 12:33 PM
Spurs are one of the premier franchises in the NBA with at least one HOFer and they're coming off a finals trip last year. They also have the best coach in the NBA. I want to see Durant get a bit more grief in general but sometimes you just run into a better team.

Not only that but doesn't Durant look gassed sometimes? I think we tend to underrate the load players carry in terms of minutes/possessions. OKC has leaned on the guy alot this year, eventually you burn out. Spurs are the fresher team right now.

mngopher35
05-23-2014, 12:37 PM
i think you have been pretty even handed in the way you saw the series. The idea the Bron isn't a scorer is ridiculous and he did not kill it the final 4 games. He killed it in game 4 and the final 5 quarters. Still the rest of you post is pretty right on. I wouldn't make an issue of it if it didn't seem like some posters were reaching to excuse him when he played poorly. You are right, all player struggle, including Bron and thats why it annoys me when someone as smart as Hawk gives Bron credit for passing up shots when his team needed him to score and the Spur were picking up screen roll around the defensive charge circle.

Well sure, you could get even more specific if you wanted and not include game 5. I just meant as a whole the end of the series was good for him and those number I posted even included the not as great game 5. That is kind of my point with Lebron though. What I mean by not a scorer is that he doesn't have the mindset to bring it down and look for his shot every time. He has the mindset of the PG where he is in charge of taking the best available option. He is the play maker and scorer for that team so when he feels he is off he goes into playmaker mode more than he should at times imo.

How often do we hear "well Dirk played good for a little over half of the finals but not this game, this game, part of this game". Nah, we give him tons of credit because his team played great and he was a huge part of it overall. It is this micro analysis of Lebron that leads others to do the same for Durant now (since some consider Durant best in league), which is why we have some of these threads. If you are going to hold a player to certain standards do it for everyone.

D-Leethal
05-23-2014, 12:50 PM
I remember thinking Bron was going to have himself a game when he splashed his first jumper in the elimination game vs Dallas. Nope, was still contained.
Hes more like Magic in how he approaches the game from a scoring standpoint. More focused on getting the team going than himself. Hes won/lost with multiple approaches, sometimes too aggressive, others too passive. I dont focus too much on the intention, just what he gets out of it. Dallas was prolly his worst showing, since then hes been great.

First few games of the Spurs series was looking like Dallas Deja Vu. But he did turn it around in a big way, I cannot deny that. The last minute of game 6 was also a high point for LeBron haters but ****ing Ray Ray had to spoil all the fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE7RCNjx22g

^^^Perception around LeBron would be a hell of a lot different if he was 1-3 in the Finals and the season ended like that .

Shlumpledink
05-23-2014, 01:01 PM
If only he were in the eastern conference

therealwd27
05-23-2014, 01:22 PM
If only he were in the eastern conference

Still wouldn't beat the Heat. Doesn't really matter what conference

slashsnake
05-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Still wouldn't beat the Heat. Doesn't really matter what conference

That's what I was thinking. If he was in the East... 2011-12 season he loses to the Heat in the conference finals most likely instead of the finals. This year he'd likely face the heat in the 2nd round if he was in the East, and not sure they win that series.

You really could be looking at 1 fewer finals appearance, 1 fewer conference finals appearance. But it's all just conjecture.

mzgrizz
05-24-2014, 10:42 AM
If Durant doesn't produce Sunday in OKC, what in the hell will be the excuse then???

True Sports Fan
05-24-2014, 10:56 AM

Jus enjoy the greatness in front of us when it is here. We shouldn't have to wait ten years to talk about how great tees players were after they finally wonultiple rings. We should enjoy it now, even during the struggles, just like everyone else did before them. /Thread honestly.

tredigs
05-24-2014, 10:57 AM
MzGrizz still upset up there that the best player in their franchise history is Pau Gasol. I'd probably be forever mad myself.

mzgrizz
05-24-2014, 01:15 PM
MzGrizz still upset up there that the best player in their franchise history is Pau Gasol. I'd probably be forever mad myself.

U mad?

tredigs
05-24-2014, 01:21 PM
^ Lol, that would be you darling.

I also agree with WadeKobe's sentiments up there.

mzgrizz
05-24-2014, 01:24 PM
^ Lol, that would be you darling.

You are really funny, sweetheart. You will know when I am. And what skin you got in OKC?

smith&wesson
05-24-2014, 01:32 PM
okc needs to make some moves in the offseason.

something like Beverly & Asik for WB and Perkins

OKC
Beverly - Jackson
Sefalosha - Lamb
Durant - Jones
Ibaka - Collison
Asik - Adams

Houston
Westbrook-Lin
Harden - Caspi - Hamilton
Parsons - Garcia
Jones -Motiejunas
Howard - Perkins

TrueFan420
05-24-2014, 02:00 PM

OKC
Beverly - Jackson
Sefalosha - Lamb
Durant - Jones
Ibaka - Collison
Asik - Adams

Houston
Westbrook-Lin
Parsons - Garcia
Jones -Motiejunas
Howard - Perkins
They could get a much much better deal than that

P&GRealist
05-24-2014, 02:30 PM

OKC
Beverly - Jackson
Sefalosha - Lamb
Durant - Jones
Ibaka - Collison
Asik - Adams

Houston
Westbrook-Lin
Parsons - Garcia
Jones -Motiejunas
Howard - Perkins

Sefolosha is overrated. Dude was fantastic 3 yrs ago, locking people down and hitting his threes. but since then, he's been falling off steadily every yr. Sometimes, I don't even realize he's on the damn court. That's how invisible he is. He lacks the impact that he once used to have.
If anything, get rid of him.

And Bev/Asik isn't enough for Westbrook. Throw in Montejunas and a first rounder and then maybe you got yourself a deal.