PDA

View Full Version : Do people still find the Spurs boring?

Greet
05-21-2014, 07:36 PM
I raise the question because around this time last year, people started complaining about the Spurs being boring...

I endlessly argued that if you love basketball then you should love the Spurs play.

Do more people share the love of the Spurs now?

tredigs
05-21-2014, 07:38 PM
I find them bonering.

goingfor28
05-21-2014, 07:41 PM
Yes. They're a great team w the best coach no doubt, but I find them to be kind of a snoozefest to watch.

Ezio
05-21-2014, 07:48 PM
No way, they play the game the way it should be.

KnicksorBust
05-21-2014, 07:50 PM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?865483-San-Antonio-Spurs-The-Beautiful-Game-%28video%29

You either admire their fundamentally sound system of cuts, screens, and unselfish passing or ... well you are a moron.

slaker619
05-21-2014, 07:59 PM
Yuup, but they win wouldn't be shocked if pops against being flashy at all cost

Lakers + Giants
05-21-2014, 08:02 PM
I honestly find the OKC-Spurs series boring as ****, not sure it's because of the spurs tho. I've never thought they were a boring team. I also think OKC is one of the most fun teams to watch, which is why im confused as to why I believe this OKC-Spurs series is so boring to me.

NBA_Starter
05-21-2014, 08:05 PM
They are not as exciting as some teams but man they are effective, I guess it depends on your taste.

mngopher35
05-21-2014, 08:15 PM
I honestly find the OKC-Spurs series boring as ****, not sure it's because of the spurs tho. I've never thought they were a boring team. I also think OKC is one of the most fun teams to watch, which is why im confused as to why I believe this OKC-Spurs series is so boring to me.

No Ibaka make you think it won't be close? I dunno, I am still excited for watching the series.

Anyways on topic the Spurs are definitely not boring. I think the biggest reason they get this is because they don't have the flashy superstars like KD, Lebron etc. They win with fantastic ball movement, smart cuts, and just great overall team play. I think it is very fun to watch but it doesn't quite have the same flash as OKC or Heat etc. which make some consider it boring.

Hellcrooner
05-21-2014, 08:19 PM
They play OLD TIME basketball , team play over star focused play.
The one you still see in fiba too.

No wonder people in the US find it boring.

Shady66
05-21-2014, 09:40 PM
When I first started watching basketball I hated them, I usually fell asleep trying to watch. The team with oberto, bowen, horry, thomas.

But now they are one of my favourite teams to watch. They play team oriented, solid defense and superb coaching. They're offensive sets are justso smart with multiple actions, and different options.

MrfadeawayJB
05-21-2014, 09:44 PM
It's better than ISO ball

P&GRealist
05-21-2014, 10:05 PM
Just win. Don't choke. Just win.

Crackadalic
05-21-2014, 10:16 PM
There actually less boring then there earlier championship days.

JJ_JKidd
05-21-2014, 10:19 PM
For kids YES. And the media too, all they want is individual highlights, dunks, whatever.

koreancabbage
05-21-2014, 10:27 PM
I don't think people are watching. That is some really really good basketball tonight.

Hawkize31
05-21-2014, 10:39 PM
The boring part about them is that they win half their games by 25 points. I'm watching the WCF and it's 71-48. Zzzzzz.

ewing
05-21-2014, 10:45 PM
they need more tattoos and twitter activity.

MrfadeawayJB
05-21-2014, 10:46 PM
I'd rather watch and play team basketball than 1 on 1 basketball

ewing
05-21-2014, 10:50 PM
I dont get it at all. Tony Paker and Manu break more ankles then 2 teammates in the league, there shooters are locked and loaded, Timmy changes ends and handles the ball as good as any true big in the league, Lenord is a developing star with great athleticism, they push the ball, put a ton points on the board, and compete hard. i think it comes down to tattoos.

ewing
05-21-2014, 10:52 PM
I'd rather watch and play team basketball than 1 on 1 basketball

it isnt like they play like Princeton back when the their was a 45 sec shot clock in college. Tony takes more guys off the dribble then anyone.

Big Zo
05-21-2014, 10:53 PM
Yeah. And it's not just their style of play, but the colors of their uniforms/arena. Seeing all that black and silver just puts me to sleep. They need to go back to their pastel-colored floor to liven things up.

koreancabbage
05-21-2014, 11:00 PM
Yeah. And it's not just their style of play, but the colors of their uniforms/arena. Seeing all that black and silver just puts me to sleep. They need to go back to their pastel-colored floor to liven things up.

like that can help... pastel anything is boring.

flea
05-21-2014, 11:02 PM
If you find them boring then you probably don't know much about basketball. Also, this complete dismantlement has been fun to watch - and generally I flip the channel on NBA blowouts.

flea
05-21-2014, 11:04 PM
they need more tattoos and twitter activity.

I think you're right. And maybe some more chubby debutantes.

goingfor28
05-21-2014, 11:04 PM
I changed my mind

Big Zo
05-21-2014, 11:06 PM
like that can help... pastel anything is boring.

No way! That thing was gorgeous. Much better than looking at a sea of black that looks like a funeral. Colors affect moods, and I get the same vibe when I see a Chicago White Sox game on TV.

PatsSoxKnicks
05-21-2014, 11:40 PM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?865483-San-Antonio-Spurs-The-Beautiful-Game-%28video%29

You either admire their fundamentally sound system of cuts, screens, and unselfish passing or ... well you are a moron.

Pretty much this. If you don't like watching the Spurs play, you aren't a basketball fan.

JesusNYY_Savior
05-21-2014, 11:43 PM
Love me some Duncan cause hes a stud but always hated the spurs when I was younger

PatsSoxKnicks
05-21-2014, 11:46 PM
When I first started watching basketball I hated them, I usually fell asleep trying to watch. The team with oberto, bowen, horry, thomas.

But now they are one of my favourite teams to watch. They play team oriented, solid defense and superb coaching. They're offensive sets are justso smart with multiple actions, and different options.

You're way over everyone's head in this thread, no one understand what sets or screens or passes are. Only thing most fans understand are fadeaway isolation shots that they can oohh and ahh at. Again, most real basketball fans love watching the Spurs.

jerellh528
05-22-2014, 01:11 AM
If you find them boring doesn't mean you hate basketball. I respect their style of play, and if I played in the nba, I would want to play for them. But as far as watching for entertainment purposes, I find them somewhat boring. I don't watch basketball to study film or diagnose the game, I do it for entertainment. I still enjoy watching them, just not as much as others. If you claim to be a "basketball enthusiast" or love watching the spurs because "it's how the game was meant to be played" or anything like that, than I just consider you a pretentious basketball wannabe hipster

flea
05-22-2014, 01:22 AM
If you find them boring doesn't mean you hate basketball. I respect their style of play, and if I played in the nba, I would want to play for them. But as far as watching for entertainment purposes, I find them somewhat boring. I don't watch basketball to study film or diagnose the game, I do it for entertainment. I still enjoy watching them, just not as much as others. If you claim to be a "basketball enthusiast" or love watching the spurs because "it's how the game was meant to be played" or anything like that, than I just consider you a pretentious basketball wannabe hipster

Please tell me you enjoy the Thunder and Knicks style of play so I can completely disregard everything you say.

Ebbs
05-22-2014, 01:27 AM
I raise the question because around this time last year, people started complaining about the Spurs being boring...

I endlessly argued that if you love basketball then you should love the Spurs play.

Do more people share the love of the Spurs now?

No. The Bulls yea, the Spurs no.

rex.reyesiii
05-22-2014, 01:38 AM
What!? No Poll :D

My answer is Yes. That game earlier was bboooring. :) 35 Pt lead? pfft.

Well I guess its OKC's fault that game was boring.

Crackadalic
05-22-2014, 01:47 AM
It's not really style of play because I enjoy it but they don't show a whole lot of emotion that most fans want to feel when they play against other teams

Bruno
05-22-2014, 04:57 AM
There actually less boring then there earlier championship days.

by far.

rocketfuel
05-22-2014, 06:08 AM
No. I actually hope both the Spurs and Miami advance so we can see a rematch.

sammyvine
05-22-2014, 07:05 AM
It's not really style of play because I enjoy it but they don't show a whole lot of emotion that most fans want to feel when they play against other teams

mainly because they are always winning so they don't need to

haters gonna hate lol

SteBO
05-22-2014, 07:16 AM
Regardless of whether people think they're boring or not, I'm sure Spurs fans couldn't care less what the reputation dictates. They're easily a championship-level team, and I'm still amazed that they managed to get even BETTER than last year. All that being said, they're as far from being boring as you can ask for....watching the way the Spurs move the ball and how seamless they're bench players make the transition is pretty cool to watch.

tr3ymill3r
05-22-2014, 07:55 AM
They play basketball the right way and they don't win by 1-4 points, they dismantle you and win by 15-25.

kdspurman
05-22-2014, 09:40 AM
I get why they were called boring years ago. Don't understand it now. They are extremely fun to watch more nights than not. Even when they miss shots, sometimes seeing the ball swing around the court 4-5 times with a missed open shot is fun. It's weird, I know. lol

torocan
05-22-2014, 09:59 AM

I get what you're saying. Watching the Spurs play is like that feeling you get when you're sparring against a really high level opponent. They don't smile, they don't frown. They don't get angry. They just pick you apart and show why you shouldn't even be in the ring with them.

The commentators use the term "clinic" over and over when they talk about the Spurs against other teams. And unlike many NBA match ups, it really is a good word to describe what you see on the court.

It's like when you're at the YMCA and you see a group of young guys on the court against a bunch of older guys... and then the young guys are shocked when they get completely dismantled.

There's a ton of teams in the NBA with more youth, athleticism, and similar or more talent on the roster.

However, there really aren't any teams that I can think of that play a better "game". The Spurs beat teams because they play a smarter and more intelligent game than just about any other team in the NBA.

BALLER R
05-22-2014, 10:09 AM
I don't get how their boring. People must not be watching the game. Their ball movement is just beautiful. Tony Parker driving down the lane spinning off a defender and passing is boring. So you mean people find Westbrook entertaining when he runs up court and pulls up to take a 3. Right now OKC is boring to me.

ewing
05-22-2014, 10:11 AM
I get what you're saying. Watching the Spurs play is like that feeling you get when you're sparring against a really high level opponent. They don't smile, they don't frown. They don't get angry. They just pick you apart and show why you shouldn't even be in the ring with them.

The commentators use the term "clinic" over and over when they talk about the Spurs against other teams. And unlike many NBA match ups, it really is a good word to describe what you see on the court.

It's like when you're at the YMCA and you see a group of young guys on the court against a bunch of older guys... and then the young guys are shocked when they get completely dismantled.

There's a ton of teams in the NBA with more youth, athleticism, and similar or more talent on the roster.

However, there really aren't any teams that I can think of that play a better "game". The Spurs beat teams because they play a smarter and more intelligent game than just about any other team in the NBA.

No there aren't

OnePostOnly
05-22-2014, 10:21 AM
crazy

cooters22
05-22-2014, 06:23 PM
I'd rather watch them over almost any other team. They play as a team, not too many selfish players on that team like most have.

macc
05-22-2014, 07:23 PM
I found myself counting how many passes San Antonio would do each possession. The vast majority were 4-7 passes each time down. Ok would make about 1-4 passes. It's crazy how such a simple thing like moving the ball around makes the offense run so much smoother

Jamiecballer
05-22-2014, 08:05 PM
Boring yeah sort of. I admire what they do but I'd rather be outside

Bang Bros89
05-22-2014, 08:19 PM
Everyone hates the Heat, and want them to lose at any cost, so Spurs love has skyrocketed, because they're the only semblance of a consistent team in the NBA right now (Outside of Miami).

But watching them, Spurs Basketball is awesome. The ball movement, the involvement of all 5 players on the court. They just lack the flashy highlight reel dunks, an exciting superstar, or an interesting storyline.

As a Knicks fan, I'd rather watch the Spurs run their offense, than watch Melo ISO on the left elbow play after play after play after play....

flea
05-22-2014, 08:22 PM
Everyone hates the Heat, and want them to lose at any cost, so Spurs love has skyrocketed, because they're the only semblance of a consistent team in the NBA right now (Outside of Miami).

But watching them, Spurs Basketball is awesome. The ball movement, the involvement of all 5 players on the court. They just lack the flashy highlight reel dunks, an exciting superstar, or an interesting storyline.

Yeah but everyone knows that's what drives the WWE....I mean NBA.

DaBear
05-22-2014, 08:25 PM
No. I actually enjoy watching them more than the flopping Heat.

ewing
05-22-2014, 08:30 PM
I'd rather watch them over almost any other team. They play as a team, not too many selfish players on that team like most have.

great user name

IversonIsKrazy
05-23-2014, 02:08 AM
Most entertaining team to watch. It's literally like watching the tiki-taka passing of barcelona from 06-09 and current Spanish football team. Gorgeous passing. Ppl just assume they're boring b/c they remember the Duncan-led Spurs who avgd less than 100ppg. Their offense is flawless and beautiful to watch

Iron24th
05-23-2014, 02:26 AM
If you like bball, you can't find them boring cause they're just about beautiful execution and teamwork.

P&GRealist
05-23-2014, 02:35 AM
No. The Bulls yea, the Spurs no.

So you like watching an inefficient team shooting 35% from the field and barely cracking 80 pts a game for an efficient team averaging 105+ ppg?

0nekhmer
05-23-2014, 03:44 AM
Spurs are the only real team that you can't even lose to and say "refs/fatigue/stacked team " they're just a well run franchise from ownership top down. I enjoy their games but I wouldn't watch them in the regular season unless it was against my team