PDA

View Full Version : NBA All-Time Redraft (2) Boise vs (3) Rochestor

Matter.
05-21-2014, 06:52 PM
Hello Everyone. Welcome to the NBA All-time redraft playoffs. These will be a battle between two made up teams from our host of GMs in to see who reigns superiority over all of basketball. Please read the write-ups and vote for who you think would win in a 7 game series.

Boise has home court Advantage.

Boise
C: Marcus Camby/Kevin Willis
PF: Kevin Mchale/Jerry Lucas/Dale Davis
SF: Elgin Baylor/Luol Deng/Brent Barry
SG: Joe Johnson/Sam Jones
PG: Magic Johnson/Rod Strickland

Vs

Rochester
PG: Tim Hardaway - Maurice Cheeks
SG: Sidney Moncrief - Richard Hamilton
SF: Chris Mullin - Rashard Lewis - Gus Johnson
PF: Karl Malone - Tom Chambers
C: Bill Walton - Shawn Bradley - Manute Bol

Neither team has sent in a write up

Ebbs
05-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Joe Johnson + Marcus Camby are the two worst starters in the series.

Magic is always such a tough assignment though.

ricky recon
05-21-2014, 07:16 PM
Rochestor has a perfect lineup in my eyes. Magic might have been the greatest PG of all time, but I think he's a terrible matchup defensively in this series. I don't know who guards Hardaway, but it'd be funny to watch any of those starters try guarding him.

I think Rochestor would take this in 5 minimum.

KnicksorBust
05-21-2014, 07:17 PM
Joe Johnson + Marcus Camby are the two worst starters in the series.

Magic is always such a tough assignment though.

Joe is actually perfect as a #4 option floor spacer in transition... I'm assuming Rochester puts Moncrief on Magic.

xxplayerxx23
05-21-2014, 07:19 PM
We also have 3 of the best 4 players in the series. Magic, Baylor ,Malone, mchale. Walton prime
Was short, he has an advantage sure but we have an answer for Malone with mchale, they don't really have much of an answer for magic. Sure moncrief is a great defender but Baylor is one of those players that will get his. Joe Johnson is a great three point shooter and also can creat off the dribble why is he such a terrible starter? Muillen has nobody that he can guard realstically stick him on Baylor he is going to drop 40 a game stick him
ON joe then one 4th option has a good scoring series. We still will run as we have a sick fastbreak team and in the half court we are going to go to magic and mchale two man game with some Baylor isos here and there. They have a great team but is Walton advantage really bigger then magic or baylors?

Shammyguy3
05-21-2014, 07:21 PM
leaning Rochestor big time here

Ebbs
05-21-2014, 07:21 PM
Rochester has the significantly better bench as well.

xxplayerxx23
05-21-2014, 07:24 PM
Figured Jerry Lucas would get no love. They don't have an answer for all of our weapons.

KnicksorBust
05-21-2014, 07:39 PM
We also have 3 of the best 4 players in the series. Magic, Baylor ,Malone, mchale.

Debatable and even if true that doesn't prove you'd win the series.

Walton prime Was short, he has an advantage sure but we have an answer for Malone with mchale,

But could Camby handle prime Bill Walton 1 on 1?

they don't really have much of an answer for magic.

Sidney Moncrief was a DPOY.

Sure moncrief is a great defender

Looks like you didn't even need me. You just gave the answer. :)

but Baylor is one of those players that will get his. Joe Johnson is a great three point shooter and also can creat off the dribble why is he such a terrible starter?

He's not.

Muillen has nobody that he can guard realstically stick him on Baylor he is going to drop 40 a game stick him ON joe then one 4th option has a good scoring series.

Mullin guarding Baylor is one of your best selling points.

We still will run as we have a sick fastbreak team and in the half court we are going to go to magic and mchale two man game with some Baylor isos here and there. They have a great team but is Walton advantage really bigger then magic or baylors?

I'm impressed. You went the whole post without barely bringing up Karl Malone. You know... the 30ppg monster who would be phenomenal in the pick and roll game with Tim Hardaway. That and Walton are his big advantages. I'm not sure which outweighs which at this point. But I'm enjoying debating with the most brilliant basketball mind I know... myself.

xxplayerxx23
05-21-2014, 07:48 PM
Karl Malone is amazing, but kevin mchale would make him work for everything. If they put moncrief on magic then mullin guards Baylor? We will go at that matchup all series. I mean camby was a defensive player of the year and made plenty of defensive teams not saying he would slow Walton completely down but it don't think he will get as beat as some think.

KnicksorBust
05-21-2014, 08:08 PM
Karl Malone is amazing, but kevin mchale would make him work for everything. If they put moncrief on magic then mullin guards Baylor? We will go at that matchup all series. I mean camby was a defensive player of the year and made plenty of defensive teams not saying he would slow Walton completely down but it don't think he will get as beat as some think.

He might make him work but Tim Hardaway would be making your boy Magic work on defense. The pick and roll game with the Mailman would be very difficult for you to stop. I could see Malone swallowing up Magic all day on those screens.

xxplayerxx23
05-21-2014, 08:31 PM
He might make him work but Tim Hardaway would be making your boy Magic work on defense. The pick and roll game with the Mailman would be very difficult for you to stop. I could see Malone swallowing up Magic all day on those screens.

Yeah but mchale is capable of slowing down the mailman even if its difficult on the pick and roles. It's a flose series but we also have HCA In this series. I think we have a stronger advantage in Baylor, also I'm not saying magic will go off but I don't think e will be completely shut down by moncrief

Killerjug
05-21-2014, 09:25 PM
A couple points

1. As mentioned we will have a combo of Moncrief/Cheeks guarding Magic. Now Magic is Magic and he will get his, but with a guy like Moncrief on him we will make him for less efficient or even better take the ball out of his hands. Player said that Baylor would put up 40 on Mullin which is obviously exaggerated but would be taking the ball out of Magic's hand which bodes well in our favor. Also while the game has changed Baylor never had a TS % .537 so I would much rather he have the ball in his hand than Magic Johnson.

2. Who is going to stop Hardaway from attacking the rim and drawing in defenders? Certainly not Magic or Joe Johnson. This gives us the ability to spread the floor nicely whether it is Mullin hitting 3's which he shot over 45% multiple times, or Karl Malone hitting the 15 footers. Also while Kevin McHale was a solid defender he won't a great one in this series with all the help d he will be playing. We feel our #1 option in Malone will still be able to be rather efficient whether it is the pick and roll game or McHale having to play help defense when Hardaway drives to the rim.

3. While small, I definitely we feel we have a bench advantage. Like I said previously when Moncreif isn't guarding Magic, then a defensive guy like Mo Cheeks will be. Then add in the all around game and leadership of a Rip Hamilton and 3 point shooter and another guy to spread the floor with in Rashard Lewis who is roughly a 40% 3 point shooter in his prime

4. I feel that our team meshes about as well as you can in this kind of game. We have our primary ball handler and guys who can play off of him extremely well. While Magic and Baylor are great players, one of them is going to be without the ball, and how well are either of them going to play off it? I feel we have the weapons to slow down Boise while they will have trouble slowing us down

The_Jamal
05-21-2014, 09:41 PM
Really close match-up. While I love Moncrief defending Magic, Baylor on Mullin is easily the biggest mismatch in the series. And McHale is one of the few PF's who can give actually D up Karl a bit and probably and win the matchup a few times in the series. But then! I really like the idea of Hardaway attacking Magic and Moncrief has a good match-up advantage over JJ. Also, Walton has a decent advantage here, although Camby is an ideal C to d him up

Have to think on this more.

Killerjug
05-21-2014, 09:45 PM
Also good luck to player and Dhop they built a good team!

xxplayerxx23
05-21-2014, 09:53 PM
Also good luck to player and Dhop they built a good team!

Same to you should be a real fun matchup

Jets012
05-21-2014, 10:07 PM
To add some further points to this matchup, I want the voters to consider a few things:

1) Rochester's Passing Ability - For those of you that read the last matchup, this might be a bit annoying to read a similar pitch. But I just want to stress our team's overall passing ability again. Like I previously mentioned, we have 4 different guys in the starting lineup who averaged over 5 APG in a single season in their career. This is what makes guys like Walton a huge mismatch for Camby. Walton is arguably one of the best passing big men of all time. His ability to further create for others, should only lead in our advantage. While Tim Hardway, was a great scorer, he also had a terrific pick and role game. People who think Malone still wouldn't get his because he doesn't have Stockton are kidding themselves.

-I'm not gonna sit here and say that McHale was a bad defender. I'd be completely off based if I said that. However, we feel that at times McHale's defense could get a bit overrated. While he was a great defender, he still benefited from playing with two of the better defenders of all time in Dennis Johnson and Robert Parish. We are still fairly confident Malone would have a dominant series, especially with the various players that could get him the ball. After all, Malone still averaged 27 & 11 in his career against McHale.

dhopisthename
05-22-2014, 09:26 AM
To add some further points to this matchup, I want the voters to consider a few things:

1) Rochester's Passing Ability - For those of you that read the last matchup, this might be a bit annoying to read a similar pitch. But I just want to stress our team's overall passing ability again. Like I previously mentioned, we have 4 different guys in the starting lineup who averaged over 5 APG in a single season in their career. This is what makes guys like Walton a huge mismatch for Camby. Walton is arguably one of the best passing big men of all time. His ability to further create for others, should only lead in our advantage. While Tim Hardway, was a great scorer, he also had a terrific pick and role game. People who think Malone still wouldn't get his because he doesn't have Stockton are kidding themselves.

-I'm not gonna sit here and say that McHale was a bad defender. I'd be completely off based if I said that. However, we feel that at times McHale's defense could get a bit overrated. While he was a great defender, he still benefited from playing with two of the better defenders of all time in Dennis Johnson and Robert Parish. We are still fairly confident Malone would have a dominant series, especially with the various players that could get him the ball. After all, Malone still averaged 27 & 11 in his career against McHale.

I am just curious where you got that stat?

KnicksorBust
05-22-2014, 11:21 AM

Yeah Parish and DJ really saved McHale. :rolleyes: After looking more into the research I'm starting to really buy into Boise. Rochester was a personal favorite of mine but I think Hardaway-Mullin would get exposed in the transition game and switching a SG onto a PG forces a PG to guard above his size (never a fan of that).

I am just curious where you got that stat?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=mchalke01&p2=malonka01

The numbers are skewed though because the last 3-4 head to head games Kevin McHale was coming off the bench and at the end of his career while Malone was in his prime. Malone dropped 37-39-30-29 in those last match-ups. That's going to have a very friendly impact on those overall numbers. At their peaks it was basically a wash with an argument to be made that McHale outplayed Malone at the most accurate 2 year overlap of their primes in 88-89.

After giving a lot of thought, I'm still a big fan of Rochester but I'm going to go with Boise.

todu82
05-22-2014, 11:26 AM
Close but Boise.

mightybosstone
05-22-2014, 12:00 PM
I think Rochester has made some excellent points and putting Moncrief on Magic will certainly help, but I just really, really like Boise and I love the matchup here with McHale on Malone and Camby on Walton. I'm going to really think about this one and I want to see a little more debate, but I'm still leaning Boise as of right now.

Lucky.
05-22-2014, 12:12 PM
I'm late and haven't really read anything.

We also have 3 of the best 4 players in the series. Magic, Baylor ,Malone, mchale. Walton prime
Was short, he has an advantage sure but we have an answer for Malone with mchale, they don't really have much of an answer for magic.

First off, it's not a fact that you have three of the four best players. It's very arguable. You can't just say "Walton's prime was short, and he sure has an advantage, BUT... *Moves on to next position*. Even if you do have three of the best, which, I personally don't think you do, you're not giving Walton nearly enough credit. You have the two worst starters and overall worse depth.

We have more of an advantage defensively than you do. Whatever defensive liability we have, you have as well. The only difference is we have an elite perimeter defender in Moncrief and a very, very good defensive PG in Maurice Cheeks to bring off the bench. You have Elgin Baylor who was good defensively, but whoever you don't put him on, will have a match-up that is exploitable. So again, whatever defensive liability(s) we have, you have as well. Sidney Moncrief is more than just a defender, he's very efficient as I pointed out in our last match-up and in fact led the league in offensive rating one year. Throughout his career, he had a .59 TS% and throughout his prime had upwards of .60 TS%. With that, he'll be able to take advantage of, who I would assume be, Joe Johnson. When Tim Hardaway is in the game, he'll be able to do just as much damage as Joe Johnson would be able to do. Size doesn't always give you the benefit of the doubt. Assuming Magic Johnson will be guarding Hardaway when he is indeed on the floor, someone with the defensive capability and size such as Magic would struggle greatly with Hardaway's famous crossover.

Sure moncrief is a great defender but Baylor is one of those players that will get his. Joe Johnson is a great three point shooter and also can creat off the dribble why is he such a terrible starter? Muillen has nobody that he can guard realstically stick him on Baylor he is going to drop 40 a game stick him ON joe then one 4th option has a good scoring series.

For one, Moncrief at the start of games will see time on Magic. When we bring in Maurcie Cheeks (who will be splitting time with Hardaway), Moncrief will see time on Baylor. And as you said, Moncrief is a GREAT defender. We would have Cheeks on Magic, of course.

xxplayerxx23
05-22-2014, 12:47 PM
First off IMO we do have 3 of the 4 best. How is Walton better then Mchale? Walton had a two year prime, joe would be put on mullin he has the size and athletic ability to slow him down, Is Walton really going to dominate against a good defender in camby? I don't see it. Magic has a huge size advantage on cheeks. Why does Jerry Lucas get seen as some scrub off the bench? He had years where he averaged 20-20. Strickland also averaged 18/10 one year, these guys won't see many mins except maybe Lucas and Sam jones but they aren't bAd players. Sam jones was known as a great defender clutch player and could score as he put in 25 one year. I guess picking some older guys really hurt, their rep should be better then what it is IMO. Anyway bench isn't what I'm going to focus on, I feel like we have more advantages then you do, we have guys that are tough defenders at some of your biggest offensive weapons. We will start Baylor on moncrief and it was implied that Muillen would start out on Baylor and that's the biggest mismatch in this series. Magic will cause trouble even when you bring cheeks in.

Lucky.
05-22-2014, 12:49 PM
For the record, we are allowed to sticky these. The reason they got taken down before is because the maximum (wanted) is four. With only two series left in the actual NBA playoffs and only two playoff series per round left for the ATRD, there's no reason to not have them stickied.

Raidaz4Life
05-22-2014, 01:15 PM
This is easily Rochester. A much more balanced team than Boise. I don't really like Boise at all.

Sadds The Gr8
05-22-2014, 01:21 PM
So close but I like the star power on Boise. Boise in 7

Lucky.
05-22-2014, 01:27 PM
joe would be put on mullin he has the size and athletic ability to slow him down,

Either way Joe Johnson gets burned whether you put him on Moncrief or Mullin. He'll get burned even more if you put him on Mullin, just for the heads up. Seriously, Johnson on Mullin is a nightmare for you.

Is Walton really going to dominate against a good defender in camby? I don't see it.

That's bad logic to use. For one, Walton is capable of doing everything. It's not just point blank as if it's offense vs defense and that's it. Would Magic be able to dominate against Cheeks and Moncrief? Would Baylor be able to dominate against Moncrief? I'm trying to make a point and be realistic, not just throw lies out there trying to win an argument. Something that I brought up in our last series is that often times in these games, people just assume "Great defender automatically takes great offensive player out of the game" which just isn't true. Is it possible? Yeah. Is it also possible for said great offensive player to go off at any point during a game? Absolutely.

But to continue off my point that I started to make, Walton is very versatile. He can defend, pass, shoot, rebound, etc. It's not just one thing that he does. So to your question, Bill Walton may not dominate the defender that Camby is, even though at times he will be capable. Bill Walton will dominate Camby as the player that he is.

Magic has a huge size advantage on cheeks.

I'm sorry but I'm getting really sick of this argument. It's all I'm hearing (overall, not just this match-up). When will people learn that size isn't always better in basketball? Just look who's been guarding Durant throughout these playoffs! As I mentioned earlier, if anything, how is Magic supposed to guard Hardaway when he's in the game? You think someone with Magic's size (and lack of defensive ability) will be able to keep up with the moves Hardaway is capable of?

Why does Jerry Lucas get seen as some scrub off the bench? He had years where he averaged 20-20. Strickland also averaged 18/10 one year, these guys won't see many mins except maybe Lucas and Sam jones but they aren't bAd players. Sam jones was known as a great defender clutch player and could score as he put in 25 one year. I guess picking some older guys really hurt, their rep should be better then what it is IMO. Anyway bench isn't what I'm going to focus on

Gus Johnson is our 11th man who averaged 18 and 17 at SF. There's a reason these older players are getting a bad rep, fair or not. To fill out your bench with them wasn't a good idea IMO. Whether they were good for their times or not, would you expect them to be able to keep up with likes of Richard Hamilton, Maurice Cheeks, Tom Chambers and Rashard Lewis throughout the entire series? Or if you want to talk up size, I got size for you. Shawn Bradley was 7-6 and 7-7. If you care so much about size, how are your role players going to be able to keep up with THAT? Goes beyond role players. When they see the court, specifically Bradley, their shot blocking ability will factor against even your starters.

So you want to ignore nearly 50% of the game? These games go far and beyond just starters vs starters.

I feel like we have more advantages then you do, we have guys that are tough defenders at some of your biggest offensive weapons.

And we don't? Moncrief plays a different position than Baylor (who he won't even see the majority of the time on) but Baylor is only 6-5 at SF. Again, if you want to talk about size. You have a very tall PG. You have a short SF. But, size.

Magic will cause trouble even when you bring cheeks in.

I won't deny that. As I mentioned earlier about defensive vs offensive. It's clear Magic is the better player. Cheeks won't shut him down, but him, along with Moncrief, will make him work for everything he gets. Scoring, playmaking, fast break. Nothing will come as easy as you're making it out to be.

xxplayerxx23
05-22-2014, 01:43 PM
I am not saying the only reason magic would have an advantage is size I'm just saying magic does it all regardless of defense. You mis understood, I was asking can Walton dominate camby offensively ? You make the point Muillen would destroy joe but he couldn't even guard the likes of joe Johnson let alone Baylor for any time. Yes lesson learned on drafting older players I guess. Magic wasn't a terrible defender either I get the point on hardaway but it's not like magic was a statue. Also I'm not saying a great defender shuts down offense I'm
Saying they make it tough on him, camby would make it tough on Walton as mchale would make it tough on Malone. Moncrief would make it more difficult on whoever he guards I agree but I don't see bringing cheeks for magic as a guy that's going to really make things hell for magic , magic is hard
To slow down because he did a bit of everything.

xxplayerxx23
05-22-2014, 01:50 PM
Double

xxplayerxx23
05-22-2014, 07:29 PM
Bump

Killerjug
05-23-2014, 10:26 AM
bump

xxplayerxx23
05-23-2014, 10:32 AM
More votes!!

Lucky.
05-23-2014, 01:00 PM
This is going to suck. Someone is going to take the lead with like ten minutes left.

xxplayerxx23
05-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Yeah hopefully we get some voters to come forward. Surprised some of the people in the game haven't voted

xxplayerxx23
05-23-2014, 01:03 PM
Plus the other matchups are up now

Super.
05-23-2014, 01:14 PM
Voted for Rochester simply because Joe Johnson shouldn't be anywhere near starting on an All-Time team

(That and I think Rochester has a better team)

xxplayerxx23
05-23-2014, 01:24 PM
Voted for Rochester simply because Joe Johnson shouldn't be anywhere near starting on an All-Time team

(That and I think Rochester has a better team)
He's a perfect fit and the fourth option to 2 20 point scorers and a 30.

mightybosstone
05-23-2014, 02:03 PM
This has always been a coin flip series for me. As I've said previously, I think Boise has the better team, but Rochester has argued their case a little better. That being said, I can't get over the fact that Rochester is playing at home with Malone as their No. 1 guy going against McHale. I just don't like that matchup for them. Also, I love Baylor going against Mullin and I don't think Camby and JJ are nearly as bad of starters as some are making them out to be. Camby was a DPOY and is one of the greatest rebounders in NBA history. JJ's made his fair share of All-Star games and has consistently been one of the 4-5 best SGs in the league for the better part of a decade.

I do like the idea of putting Moncrief on Magic, but considering the versatility of Magic's game and the fact that he's not a guy who's going to look to score first, I don't think it will make as much of a difference as it would if Moncrief were guarding an elite scoring wing. Also if Moncrief is guarding Magic, that leaves Hardaway and Mulling to guard JJ and Baylor, which I hate.

I think this one would certainly go to 7 games, but I'd take Boise.

xxplayerxx23
05-23-2014, 02:19 PM
Keep voting

KnicksorBust
05-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Surprised Boise looks like they are on their way out. I think the Joe Johnson is a bad starter is nonsense. He's a 7x All-Star who is a solid all-around player. I hate him as a go-to player (see ATL) but love him as a role player. He flourished his last season in Phoenix as a 4th option behind Nash-STAT-Marion. His spot-up shooting is solid (career 37% 3pt shooter) and he's a 17-4-4 player for his career. I don't see the big deal. I think he fits perfectly on a team with Magic Johnson-Elgin Baylor-Kevin McHale. That team would be deadly on the offensive end and McHale-Camby anchor the paint. I liked them a lot.

xxplayerxx23
05-23-2014, 02:35 PM
Only 4 hours left for the comeback :(

Ebbs
05-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Honestly the talent was great on Boise. Just felt like Rochester was the better team all around

Eagles4Lyfe
05-23-2014, 03:14 PM
Roc nation baby

xxplayerxx23
05-23-2014, 03:15 PM
Roc nation baby

:sigh:

Shammyguy3
05-23-2014, 05:07 PM
Agree with Ebbs. I voted Rochestor even though these two teams are neck and neck because I just liked their fit overall slightly more in this head-to-head

KnicksorBust
05-23-2014, 05:50 PM
I went Boise but congrats to Rochester. I've always loved that roster. I had them as a title contender before getting Tim Hardaway. Now they are even more dangerous. Sky is the limit if people continue to appreciate what Bill Walton was in the mid 70s.

Super.
05-23-2014, 06:46 PM
He's a perfect fit and the fourth option to 2 20 point scorers and a 30.

That's not even remotely true. Joe wants and needs the ball in his hands to do what he does. He's not a catch and shoot guy, for christ sakes his nickname is ISOJOE.

If you had him riding the pine except in situations that require his stupid levels of late game clutchless then maybe, but starting? lolno

Lucky.
05-23-2014, 06:55 PM
Congrats to Dhop and Player for building a great team.

xxplayerxx23
05-23-2014, 07:04 PM
That's not even remotely true. Joe wants and needs the ball in his hands to do what he does. He's not a catch and shoot guy, for christ sakes his nickname is ISOJOE.

If you had him riding the pine except in situations that require his stupid levels of late game clutchless then maybe, but starting? lolno

He played it in Phoenix he was a very good fit and good #4 when we have two top players and a third option like mchale but alright and also couldn't bench him nobody knew sam jones

xxplayerxx23
05-23-2014, 07:06 PM
Congrats to Dhop and Player for building a great team.

Congrats on winning. Hopefully you guys go all the way, I had said before that I thought winner of this matchup goes to the finals.

Super.
05-23-2014, 10:34 PM
He played it in Phoenix he was a very good fit and good #4 when we have two top players and a third option like mchale but alright and also couldn't bench him nobody knew sam jones

What? Again, not true. IsoJoe was rather inefficent in PHX, posting a 13.5 PER over 3 seasons (11.6, 13.9, 15.1) with his lowest usage % of his entire career. Hell, his usage rate goes up and he becomes more efficient.

He's not a catch and shoot guy, which is why he clearly doesn't fit that role.

xxplayerxx23
05-23-2014, 11:05 PM
What? Again, not true. IsoJoe was rather inefficent in PHX, posting a 13.5 PER over 3 seasons (11.6, 13.9, 15.1) with his lowest usage % of his entire career. Hell, his usage rate goes up and he becomes more efficient.

He's not a catch and shoot guy, which is why he clearly doesn't fit that role.

He shot over 37% that's great playing for this team. You think anybody is going to cover him when you have magic Baylor and mchale to worry about. Say what you want ISO joe wasn't ISO in phoneix and all he would have to do is shoot open 3s which he is more then capable of doing.