PDA

View Full Version : How important is the assist2turnover ratio?

JasonJohnHorn
05-21-2014, 11:16 AM
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nba/stats/player-assists-to-turnover-ratio/2013/

Above is a list of the most efficient passers.

Only 2 players managed 4 or more assists per. Of players who posted over 500 assists, only 2 players were at 3 ore better (CP3 and Lowry).

I realize it is harder to use this as a measuring stick with SG and SF given that they are given a lot of iso plays that can create turnover when not passing the ball, but how important do you think the A2T ratio is when evaluating a player?

slashsnake
05-21-2014, 12:10 PM
Not a huge amount unless looking at players that play the same way. Derrick Rose is going to have a higher Assist:TO ratio than a pass first point guard usually. Bad teams may force passes trying to get back in a game more than good teams that really rely on protecting the ball. Aggressive coaches may give their point guards more free reign to make high risk/high reward type passes or throw aheads. Good passing teams may have a PG who gets a lot of hockey assists which don't count.

asandhu23
05-21-2014, 12:59 PM
very. That's one of Stephen Curry's weakness. he makes too many stupid passes.

ewing
05-21-2014, 01:18 PM
its not. If you have probing play making PG and he also has a good assist to TO ratio it is a good thing. The stat by itself without context or that least other stats has little meaning though

Chronz
05-21-2014, 01:30 PM
Its about overall efficiency more than the efficiency of any 1 aspect of the game.

But if you're trying to get a measure of solely passing efficiency, BadPass to Assist ratio is more important because it focuses solely on passing turnovers (though there is an argument to be made that any turnover should have been a pass off instead), and we also have pure point rating.

MonroeFAN
05-21-2014, 01:38 PM
It's only important when you have a high USG% and assist numbers IMO.

Chronz, what exactly is your signature representing? The ninja kick, or the Offensive foul by DJ?

MrfadeawayJB
05-21-2014, 01:47 PM
I say most important stat for measuring a pgs effectiveness

Chronz
05-21-2014, 02:04 PM
It's only important when you have a high USG% and assist numbers IMO.

Chronz, what exactly is your signature representing? The ninja kick, or the Offensive foul by DJ?

there is no foul, he flopped

ManRam
05-21-2014, 03:00 PM
I say most important stat for measuring a pgs effectiveness

Effectiveness of what? Overall game? Passing?

Because I certainly don't buy the former...and I don't really agree with it being the best way to judge the latter either.

There are so many other factors that come into play here. The stat by itself doesn't paint the whole picture. A lot of usage-related factors come into play.

Jamiecballer
05-21-2014, 03:36 PM
i consider it to be pretty important. whether you are just throwing the ball away, not passing enough, or turning it over trying to create for yourself, a PG with a poor ratio is a poor PG in my opinion.

Yanks All Day
05-21-2014, 03:38 PM
The assist in general is somewhat of a flawed stat because it relies on two factors: 1) a good pass, and 2) the receiving player actually making the shot.

A player like Kevin Durant can make the perfect pass to a wide open Thabo Sefalosha in the corner 10 times in a game, but if Thabo misses 8 of them, that's only 2 assists on 10 plays that really could have been. That's a different story, though.

The ratio isn't that important unless it is ridiculously high (in either direction). What's more important is how the player controls the game and the decisions he makes that don't necessarily directly result in assists or turnovers. Changing the direction of the ball and keeping the defense off balance is a great play that might result in an assist for another player. J.J. Redick is the perfect example there. He always makes the right basketball decision, but has a 1.83 A/T ratio. Nothing eye popping, yet he's a very good basketball player who makes great decisions. Conversely, passing a ball to a player in tight coverage might not be a turnover for you, but could result in a turnover for the other player or an awful shot, which is just as bad.

It also depends on the player's role on the team. I can live with LeBron James having a 1.8 A/T ratio because he's going to win you most games and put your team in the best position to win.

All stats are useful in certain contexts, but I don't think the assist to turnover ratio is all that important compared to how the player actually controls the flow of the game.

Kashmir13579
05-21-2014, 03:48 PM
Overrated. Gunslingers are going to have a lot of turnovers and I don't think its necessarily a bad thing.

Jamiecballer
05-21-2014, 04:07 PM
My apologies. My comments were only with respect to PGs. May have jumped the gun.

Generally speaking a PG with a poor assist to turnover ratio I want no part of - other positions not so important.