PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons trolling live tv again

kingsdelez24
05-20-2014, 10:02 PM
I love grantlands content and Bill and Jalen videos, and I think Bill Simmons is a great writer, but what he was saying during that halftime report is kind of low-brow and unprofessional.

In case anybody missed it, he was saying LeBron was playing with less intensity in the last 5 minutes of the half because he probably heard the Cavs got the first pick, promting Jalen Rose to change the topic entirely, then he yelled out "JOEY CRAWFORD GAME" right before the commercial break.

This guy is making a mockery of his own mantra "Don't get fired"

NBA_Starter
05-20-2014, 10:04 PM
I expect nothing less plus he's mad about the Celtics and the lottery.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-20-2014, 10:06 PM
Celtics were in the lottery. He wanted them to win and he even thought they should've been the 2nd team to in (behind the Suns) based on his 'karma rankings'.

goingfor28
05-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Can't stand bill Simmons. Dude is the definition of troll

His grant land stuff is pretty good but that's it

J4KOP99
05-20-2014, 10:12 PM
As bad as a tv analyst can be. I truly cannot sit there and watch/listen to him speak. He should stick to blogging.

I saw a video of him making a point about Evan turner being benched for game one. Simmons forgot turner was hurt.

MrfadeawayJB
05-20-2014, 10:13 PM
I heard that and was like wha?

redsoxknicks
05-20-2014, 10:18 PM
Can't stand bill Simmons. Dude is the definition of troll

His grant land stuff is pretty good but that's it

My take as well. Why ESPN kept him on the TV panel when they made big changes last year I will never know.

COOLbeans
05-21-2014, 12:25 AM
Didn't Simmons pick the panel? They've been using him as a production consultant to boost ratings since like two years ago.

Arch Stanton
05-21-2014, 12:28 AM
I love watching Simmons squirm in disgust of the Cavs. Can't wait for the draft. Maybe he'll go off on Doc Rivers again?

Sadds The Gr8
05-21-2014, 12:30 AM
yea I'm a fan of him and grantland too but he just isn't good as a TV analyst. He's basically what Shaq is on TNT. It's clear they only brought him because he has a pretty big following, and hope he'll draw ratings...but he just doesn't fit as an analyst. If anything, he should have the hosting role that the milf Sage Steele has.

Pablonovi
05-21-2014, 12:38 AM
Well, the feeling, at least so far in this thread, is near-universal. I agree too.
I like him at Grantland (along with Jalen Rose) (though I DON'T like what seems to me his too-often Celtics bias; but I think he (and Jalen) just suck LIVE.

Today I felt he was even a little bit worse than his usual crappy LIVE self. (And yeah, I noticed Jalen jumping in trying to cover his butt). Jerk!

Sadds The Gr8
05-21-2014, 12:52 AM
Well, the feeling, at least so far in this thread, is near-universal. I agree too.
I like him at Grantland (along with Jalen Rose) (though I DON'T like what seems to me his too-often Celtics bias; but I think he (and Jalen) just suck LIVE.

Today I felt he was even a little bit worse than his usual crappy LIVE self. (And yeah, I noticed Jalen jumping in trying to cover his butt). Jerk!

yea it works on youtube for grantland and podcasts but they just come off as trying too hard to be funny on half-time shows and that doesn't come off well on TV (Shaq is similar to them as well). ESPN is clearly going for the Kenny/Charles thing with those 2 and it doesn't work because it's not natural. With Kenny/Charles/Ernie it just clicks so they're all naturally funny...that's what makes the TNT show great. They don't "try too hard"...

mightybosstone
05-21-2014, 01:11 AM
The guy clearly is a better writer than he is a broadcaster and is better doing videos for Grantland and on the web, in general, than on live television. That being said, I've always thoroughly enjoyed his columns and his take on the NBA. And I don't think you can blame the guy for trying to do what works on Grantland and bring it to the analyst booth. It just doesn't translate very well sometimes, and this was definitely a case of that.

ManRam
05-21-2014, 09:25 AM
I'm with you guys. I do love his writing, but his TV stuff isn't so hot. Still, ESPN's NBA coverage isn't nearly as unbearable as TNT's is, IMO.

And what's he implying by "Joey Crawford Game!". Certainly not that they'll do whatever to make sure the Heat win. Because that notion has been proven false. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if he still believes it.

warfelg
05-21-2014, 09:44 AM
Even his writing is hit or miss for me.

But he is a classic "fan boy with a blog" and that shtick never works anywhere, but his own blog.

Red_Pill
05-21-2014, 10:08 AM
I love Bill Simmons. Get rid of the token chick on the show.

tr3ymill3r
05-21-2014, 10:30 AM
It would be great if people understood sarcasm, satire and jokes. He obviously did something right enough to make you create a thread and have people talk about him. He's doing his job on television by getting ratings. I would like to see Simmons mix it up with the guys on TNT.

mightybosstone
05-21-2014, 10:41 AM
It would be great if people understood sarcasm, satire and jokes. He obviously did something right enough to make you create a thread and have people talk about him. He's doing his job on television by getting ratings. I would like to see Simmons mix it up with the guys on TNT.

I wish TNT and ESPN could somehow combine to form a super team of analysts with Kenny, Charles, Ernie, Bill and Jalen. I hate Shaq on TNT, and I think Bill and Charles could have some pretty legendary on-air debates that would make for great television.

Personally, I don't dislike Simmons on TV. I'd much prefer he and Jalen to 90% of the other on-air analysts and personalities we could have on ESPN. Bill is honest and his perspective as a writer, fan and historian of the game makes for unique television. I do think the guy sometimes goes a bit too far, but I'd rather get half a dozen Simmons jokes that don't quite hit the mark every night than be bored to tears by the average NBA analyst and former player talking about "heart" and "will to win" 10 times an hour.

Tony_Starks
05-21-2014, 10:41 AM
Bill Simmons was so incredibly salty the Celtics didn't get the pick. I loved it!

mightybosstone
05-21-2014, 10:47 AM
Bill Simmons was so incredibly salty the Celtics didn't get the pick. I loved it!

That's one area he could definitely improve upon. I don't mind reading about his obvious homerism for Boston in his columns or in his books, but it's a tad off putting on live television. I'd like to see him be a little more objective.

I Rock Shaqs
05-21-2014, 10:56 AM
My take as well. Why ESPN kept him on the TV panel when they made big changes last year I will never know.

Are you guys honestly that slow? He has you talking about it doesn't he?

todu82
05-21-2014, 11:00 AM
Simmons is a good writer and all but that's what he should stick to. He's terrible at most everything else.

Tony_Starks
05-21-2014, 11:04 AM
That's one area he could definitely improve upon. I don't mind reading about his obvious homerism for Boston in his columns or in his books, but it's a tad off putting on live television. I'd like to see him be a little more objective.

Yeah it was pretty blatant. I get why he's mad but come on you should still be able to compose yourself.

Super.
05-21-2014, 11:16 AM

I don't know if he was so salty we didn't get it, but that Cleveland the last team he believed deserved to get it, it got it.

I'm okay with the 6th pick IMO

Pablonovi
05-21-2014, 11:56 AM
Are you guys honestly that slow? He has you talking about it doesn't he?

Hey I Rock Shaqs,
If you think about this a bit more, you might decide that: not ALL reactions are "Beneficial" ones.
Didn't the Clips owner just get a bleep-load of reactions? I wouldn't say they helped his "cause" a whole lot, though.

In other words, IF Simmons provokes lots of controversy within which there's lots of compliments; that's one thing - a very good thing for his ratings and reputation. It is another thing entirely, if almost all the controversy involves overwhelmingly negative comments. That's a very bad thing for his ratings and reputation, no?

Sadds The Gr8
05-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Still, ESPN's NBA coverage isn't nearly as unbearable as TNT's is, IMO.

First person I ever heard say this. I do think tnt has gotten worse since shaq but I do think it's better than Espn by a lot.

Espn's just feels so fake to me. There's a clear divide between Bill/Jalen and sage/collins. They have no chemistry at all and it feels like sage/collins just get tired of them trying too hard to be funny and don't get half the jokes.

ManRam
05-21-2014, 12:12 PM
First person I ever heard say this. I do think tnt has gotten worse since shaq but I do think it's better than Espn by a lot.

Espn's just feels so fake to me. There's a clear divide between Bill/Jalen and sage/collins. They have no chemistry at all and it feels like sage/collins just get tired of them trying too hard to be funny and don't get half the jokes.

TNT is just theatrics. It's fun for a while, but I have zero interest in it any more. There's no substance there. I haven't learned anything insightful in forever. I agree about the chemistry, but at least ESPN tries to talk about basketball in a somewhat in depth manner from time to time. Occasionally there's some insight that will resonate with me.

Real Sports did a bit on Inside the NBA. Took us behind the scenes. It truly is the circus you'd think it is. Chuck, Shaq and Kenny don't sit in on any meetings in an effort to keep them out of touch and thus respond more naturally. What this leads to is just that: natural responses without any thought or, I don't know, research behind it. The producer and Shaq admit that they just want Shaq to be Shaq, which is funny and generally uninsightful. Sure, there's humor there, but it's the same old same old at this point. Yes, they have chemistry. But you're not learning anything. I'd rather listen to intelligent sports discussion than theatrics. But that's just me. And obviously ratings don't follow the former...they follow the latter. That's why ESPN and TNT have such polarizing personalities who are willing to say something shocking just to grab attention. I just don't care for that.

NYMetros
05-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Inside the NBA became terrible when Shaq joined, just get rid of him.

Sadds The Gr8
05-21-2014, 12:33 PM
TNT is just theatrics. It's fun for a while, but I have zero interest in it any more. There's no substance there. I haven't learned anything insightful in forever. I agree about the chemistry, but at least ESPN tries to talk about basketball in a somewhat in depth manner from time to time. Occasionally there's some insight that will resonate with me.

Real Sports did a bit on Inside the NBA. Took us behind the scenes. It truly is the circus you'd think it is. Chuck, Shaq and Kenny don't sit in on any meetings in an effort to keep them out of touch and thus respond more naturally. What this leads to is just that: natural responses without any thought or, I don't know, research behind it. The producer and Shaq admit that they just want Shaq to be Shaq, which is funny and generally uninsightful. Sure, there's humor there, but it's the same old same old at this point. Yes, they have chemistry. But you're not learning anything. I'd rather listen to intelligent sports discussion than theatrics. But that's just me. And obviously ratings don't follow the former...they follow the latter. That's why ESPN and TNT have such polarizing personalities who are willing to say something shocking just to grab attention. I just don't care for that.

Fair enough if that's what u prefer. I personally never learn a Damn thing when it comes to tv analysis and that's because I know all the basics and if they go too in depth they'll have the casual fans completely lost saying "Wtf is going on here?". I do prefer when tnt panel gets into serious debates about basketball (i.e. when Charles owned shaq on the Dwight debate earlier in the playoffs). Espn isn't teaching me anything really....Simmons can't break anything down as he isnt a "real" analyst, Jalen is more of the "typical analyst" on tv like mbt talked about (is way better on his podcast), collins is a little insightful but not much...so yeah, I'm not learning anything anyways. The good analysis comes on podcasts from guys like Zach Lowe, and even Simmons on the bs report. If I'm not learning anything, might as well make it fun like tnt. Shaq needs to go tho

Sadds The Gr8
05-21-2014, 12:35 PM
Inside the NBA became terrible when Shaq joined, just get rid of him.

I thought the kings ownership deal would get rid of him but I was wrong.......

Red_Pill
05-21-2014, 12:57 PM
I wish TNT and ESPN could somehow combine to form a super team of analysts with Kenny, Charles, Ernie, Bill and Jalen.

My god, that would be too much awesome for one broadcast. We need to make this happen. At least for one night.

warfelg
05-21-2014, 01:10 PM
I know they done have the names or gravitas but NBATV > all. No homers like Simmons (but still get the "blog guy" view) and no ***** like Shaq.

Pablonovi
05-21-2014, 01:18 PM

^ THIS

The antics between Shaq and Charles (in particular) make me feel embarrassed for them; it got OLD a long, long time ago. Kenny & Ernie are way better than them.

Pablonovi
05-21-2014, 01:21 PM

Hey Sadds The Gr8,
Outside of NBA Broadcasters and Commentators (most of whom I consider Top-Quality), Collins (why do I keep wanting to call him Phil, instead of Doug? hehe) is, imo, about THE best. He really knows the game AND how to insightfully describe it to the viewing/listening audience. I wish he'd get ALL of the Grantland-Duos Minutes (they're fine back there; not LIVE).

Sadds The Gr8
05-21-2014, 01:32 PM
Hey Sadds The Gr8,
Outside of NBA Broadcasters and Commentators (most of whom I consider Top-Quality), Collins (why do I keep wanting to call him Phil, instead of Doug? hehe) is, imo, about THE best. He really knows the game AND how to insightfully describe it to the viewing/listening audience. I wish he'd get ALL of the Grantland-Duos Minutes (they're fine back there; not LIVE).

I dont think collins is bad at all. I like him as an in-game commentator like he was for tnt more than the halftime role tho. My point was just that Im not gaining any real basketball knowledge from tv analysis...they dumb it down way too much on tv for it to be interesting. The good stuff is on podcasts

KingstonHawke
05-21-2014, 08:20 PM
As bad as a tv analyst can be. I truly cannot sit there and watch/listen to him speak. He should stick to blogging.

I saw a video of him making a point about Evan turner being benched for game one. Simmons forgot turner was hurt.

Bill Simmons is great. He's just like a big *** fan that somehow get's to be in the position that every fan wants to be. I guess if nothing is going on in your own life that would make you jealous, but personally, I love seeing it. Like his reaction to the Cavs winning the draft lottery. Unprofessional maybe, but it was how most people honestly reacted.

As far as him making a mistake about a guy who rides the bench. You're nitpicking. Every analyst makes small mistakes all the time. Sportscenter has been driving me crazy with listing Noah Vonleh as a SF when there's absolutely no way that he plays SF as a rookie.

Pablonovi
05-21-2014, 08:28 PM
Bill Simmons is great. He's just like a big *** fan that somehow get's to be in the position that every fan wants to be. I guess if nothing is going on in your own life that would make you jealous, but personally, I love seeing it. Like his reaction to the Cavs winning the draft lottery. Unprofessional maybe, but it was how most people honestly reacted.

As far as him making a mistake about a guy who rides the bench. You're nitpicking. Every analyst makes small mistakes all the time. Sportscenter has been driving me crazy with listing Noah Vonleh as a SF when there's absolutely no way that he plays SF as a rookie.

Hey KingstonHawke,
You make a really good point. I don't know for sure about other people; but I can sometimes get carried away with my own personal reaction to some one or some thing and go from that simple reaction to something bigger: that because it strikes me right it should strike everybody that way; or if it (like LIVE Bill Simmons) strikes me wrong, then it should strike everybody that way.

It's always good to be occasionally reminded that one's personal opinions are often in the minority and often flawed. (btw, I DO think he's very good at Grantland).

FlashBolt
05-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Bill Simmons sucks. Everything he does sucks. He's the most biased analyst and always has conspiracies but he's basically contradicting himself if he's an analyst working for the media. Dude needs to quit if he's that damn pissed about every little thing that happens. How disrespectful is it to say someone quit on live T.V.? How unprofessional is it to scream "JOEY CRAWFORD", most likely implying that Joey Crawford is going to help LeBron? He's a joke of an analyst. Stick to your pen and paper, Bill.

ThuglifeJ
05-21-2014, 08:35 PM
Bill Simmons is pretty annoying, actually he's just downright annoying, and a little *****..he also stubbornly hates on certain players that have anything that may threaten his Celtics..

That said, he's probably one of the only experts/analysts that ACTUALLY studies up on the game and knows what every player does or is doing (this should be a requirement of every analyst....). He watches nearly every game I'm sure..unlike most analysts I know for a fact Barkley, while funny, does not watch any games not on TNT he says this too....heck if the matchup is pathetic he wont even watch the game while on set! He'll even moan about it during halftime reports how boring that game is and 'who cares'. Most analysts just pretend they know what they are talking about , SImmons actually does know a lot.

His quote at the end of the lottery show..
"I'm gonna go on the trade machine for 8 hours tonight." To figure out what the Cavs can do.

Stuff like that, he actually nerds out on NBA like we do.

ThuglifeJ
05-21-2014, 08:37 PM
Bill Simmons sucks. Everything he does sucks. He's the most biased analyst and always has conspiracies but he's basically contradicting himself if he's an analyst working for the media. Dude needs to quit if he's that damn pissed about every little thing that happens. How disrespectful is it to say someone quit on live T.V.? How unprofessional is it to scream "JOEY CRAWFORD", most likely implying that Joey Crawford is going to help LeBron? He's a joke of an analyst. Stick to your pen and paper, Bill.

Wait he actually said this?

I like him a hell of a lot more now. It's good for casual fans to know what's actually happen and not see "superstar A is doing this and that! Incredible!"

FlashBolt
05-21-2014, 08:40 PM

I like him a hell of a lot more now. It's good for casual fans to know what's actually happen and not see "superstar A is doing this and that! Incredible!"

Well, I didn't watch the entire thing but if multiple people here are saying he scram those words, then I'm going to take it that he did. I'm not even surprised that he did say it because he's always making silly assumptions. You only like him because he said something negative about LeBron. Well, it's actually not good because his accusation that Joey Crawford is helping LeBron is false and LeBron has a higher winning percentage when Joey is not refereeing. Go to sleep, Thug. You need some.

ThuglifeJ
05-21-2014, 08:56 PM
Well, I didn't watch the entire thing but if multiple people here are saying he scram those words, then I'm going to take it that he did. I'm not even surprised that he did say it because he's always making silly assumptions. You only like him because he said something negative about LeBron. Well, it's actually not good because his accusation that Joey Crawford is helping LeBron is false and LeBron has a higher winning percentage when Joey is not refereeing. Go to sleep, Thug. You need some.

It may be negative, but it is actually truthful. Unless you believe Lebron didn't quit on Cleveland during the end of the Boston/Cavs series, or the fact he actually left to sign with Miami..

Why do some act like Lebron can do no harm? It's friggin hilarious. It's not like someone like Simmons is just MAKING this up for no reason.

Seriously when my favorite players get criticized for something they did wrong, I at least admit to it. Who cares they can still be your favorite player, doesn't change the fact they DID in FACT do something WRONG. Get over it. Babies

Tony_Starks
05-21-2014, 09:08 PM
You could go grab someone from the banned posters and they could easily do what Bill Simmons does. He's not informative, he's not impartial, he's a huge homer, and he loves to argue about random useless stats and salaries instead of actually paying attention to the game.

If Bill Simmons posted on here you would probably block him.

Corey
05-21-2014, 09:31 PM
The mistake is taking him seriously.

ManRam
05-21-2014, 09:36 PM

Why? For spreading false information and insinuating that LeBron-led teams do better when Crawford is officiating them? You respect him more for buying into patently false conspiracies? And trying to share that false notion with the world?

FlashBolt
05-21-2014, 09:37 PM
It may be negative, but it is actually truthful. Unless you believe Lebron didn't quit on Cleveland during the end of the Boston/Cavs series, or the fact he actually left to sign with Miami..

Why do some act like Lebron can do no harm? It's friggin hilarious. It's not like someone like Simmons is just MAKING this up for no reason.

Seriously when my favorite players get criticized for something they did wrong, I at least admit to it. Who cares they can still be your favorite player, doesn't change the fact they DID in FACT do something WRONG. Get over it. Babies

He quit or may not have quit. That's not the discussion. Bill Simmons was unprofessional and when you call someone like the caliber of James a quitter, you're a bad analyst.

ThuglifeJ
05-21-2014, 09:50 PM
He quit or may not have quit. That's not the discussion. Bill Simmons was unprofessional and when you call someone like the caliber of James a quitter, you're a bad analyst.

But...he DID quit?

See this is where you guys are just flat out wrong. Just because he's a star player, he's supposed to be immune to criticism.. hilarious. James quit. Someone called him out on it. That makes him a GOOD analyst, not a bad one.

Pablonovi
05-22-2014, 09:36 AM
You could go grab someone from the banned posters and they could easily do what Bill Simmons does. He's not informative, he's not impartial, he's a huge homer, and he loves to argue about random useless stats and salaries instead of actually paying attention to the game.

If Bill Simmons posted on here you would probably block him.

Hey Tony_Starks,
LOL
Not only that, but he's one ARROGANT SOB; and I just hate people who think they're more arrogant than me. I hate them even more if they ARE more arrogant than me!

OnePostOnly
05-22-2014, 10:28 AM
Simmons is a clown

OnePostOnly
05-22-2014, 10:28 AM
I could take his job

BullySixChicago
05-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Another **** head with a TV job he and Charles Barkley both just have the garbage coming out of their mouth.

Pablonovi
05-22-2014, 11:55 AM
I could take his job

Hey OnePostOnly,
Maybe you could; but you couldn't post with it, cause you're already over OnePost.

P.S. It'd be so cool if you:
a) got the mods to delete all your posts after your OnePost; and
b) you didn't post any more posts.

Then, you could be "OnePostOnly" forever.
Kind of cool for me/us; maybe not so cool for you (if you really want to "violate" you username and keep posting).