PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for each team to have the lottery rigged for them?

NYMetros
05-20-2014, 11:17 AM
I remember someone did this last year. Can you create a reason for why the NBA would want to rig the lottery for each team? And which teams are most likely to have the lottery rigged for them? I don't personally believe in this stuff but I want to know pre-lottery who everyone thinks will win so that they can't change their mind after the fact.

Milwaukee- new owners, help them build a new arena?
Philly- um, idk? want to stack a team with great young talent maybe
Orlando- compensation for Dwight trade
Utah- can't think of a reason why the NBA would rig it for them
Boston- marquee franchise
LA Lakers- marquee franchise, need to get them back on top
Sacramento- new owner

PhillyFaninLA
05-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Neither the league nor the lottery (with the exception of the Patrick Ewing draft) are rigged

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-20-2014, 11:32 AM
Bucks - to make it look like it isnt rigged

BALLER R
05-20-2014, 11:38 AM
Neither the league nor the lottery (with the exception of the Patrick Ewing draft) are rigged

If you think it happened once your smart enough to know chances are it happened again.

ManRam
05-20-2014, 11:39 AM
Here's the thread from last year: http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?819125-If-the-league-rigged-the-lottery-who-would-they-rig-it-for-this-year&highlight=lottery

I am more convinced that the current lottery is NOT rigged more so than I'm convinced that officiating isn't corrupt. It's just set up in such a fool-proof manner. When they were drawing envelopes? Well, I can understand how that would be easy to rig. This current set-up? Not so much.

But...let's say I'm wrong.

Boston/LAL: Obvious reasoning
Utah: Jabari to Utah...Mormons love Mormons
ORL: This notion that the league cares about "compensating" a team for losing a star...if they cared, they would have put up a bigger fight during the CBA talks, right?
Philly: Important franchise, better to have them winning...however, does them winning it "reward" their "tanking"?
Milwaukee: New ownership, looking for a new stadium...already have a nice core
Sacto: New ownership again...NEVER have won a lottery...have been stuck in limbo forever and that's bad
Detroit: It's an important franchise that has had a ton of front office turnover...Detroit could be a team that could quickly improve and help the balance of power problems between East and West
Cleveland: Do we still really feel bad for them? The pity party needs to end...no real reason here. Maybe, like Detroit, they could quickly improve and help with the balance of power
Denver: No real reason
Minny: Help keep Love around?
Phoenix: That would be a fun *** YOUNG team

I think most of those are weak. So weak that ultimately it doesn't make the risk of "rigging" the draft worth the damage that would ensue if they were every exposed for doing such. LAL and Boston somewhat withstanding. However, LAL doesn't need the league's help to be successful. They already have a leg up on just about every other team because of location and history. Boston doesn't quite fit the same billing, but the league can certainly succeed without the Celtics being mighty. Even in those two cases, I don't think rigging it is at all even close to worth it.

bucketss
05-20-2014, 11:51 AM
im 99% sure the lakers are gonna win the lottery

Raidaz4Life
05-20-2014, 11:56 AM
Utah will win it

slashsnake
05-20-2014, 12:16 PM
I don't see any reason where the risk of rigging the draft outweighs the reward. The risk is the word gets out. Donald Sterling knows a bit about that one. NBA league guys get fired all the time. Now you have to keep the ones in the know hired for life, always happy. Or put snipers on all their families 24/7. Can you imagine the fallout if that was found to be true. Ruining the league to help a single team? Nah. This is something they let media members in to watch the process. Unless they hire David Blaine to be their draft ping pong ball supervisor, not buying that one.

2nd, who do you help? Big market teams start to make sense. But they always get back to the top. LA didn't recover from their 80s/90s glory days with top draft picks. They did with Shaq, and getting Kobe with the 13th pick. Boston didn't return with the draft, they did with Garnett and Allen, and Rondo with the 21st pick. Free agents want to go there. And why screw boston so badly if you want to fix the Lottery. They had the best shot for Duncan, but got Billups. Had the best chance for Oden/Durant but got Jeff Green.

Helping a team sell for more? I don't really get that one. The NBA will always sell its teams to new owners if one is available. Sure you get an outgoing owner some more money, but what kind of reward is that?

Knicks winning Ewing doesn't make sense to me either. Knicks had nothing to do with the lottery. ALL the news was on Houston tanking the year before. They started 20-26, then tanked to finish 9-27 on the year and got Hakeem. So before the Knicks awful season, the lottery was implemented for the following year. Knicks got Ewing, which was GREAT for them. But what if he turned into the next Oden, Olokwandi, Daugherty, Ellison, Manning, Coleman, Larry Johnson... Riding the reputation of the entire league at a chance he works out and stays healthy? Ehh.. Again the risk there doesn't come close to matching the reward. And the funny thing is they screwed the Knicks then in the 2nd draft lottery. Worst record in the league and 5th overall pick. A chance at Len Bias, who many were calling at the time the best rookie to come out in a long while, or Daugherty, the best big in North Carolina history. Revisionist history gives this one more weight than reality at the time.

Chronz
05-20-2014, 12:33 PM
Bucks - to make it look like it isnt rigged

lol. good one

----------------------------------------

On a serious note, rigging the lottery is IMPOSSIBLE, at the very least incomprehensible.

Still, if it gos to LA, RIGGED

ManRam
05-20-2014, 12:34 PM
Yeah, the risk doesn't outweigh the reward. I don't think people, even those who already believe it is rigged, realize how damaging it would be if word ever got out that the league was pulling strings to that extent.

But even aside from logic, it's set up pretty well.

Present at the lottery are members of the media, NBA officials, representatives from each participating team as well as members/auditors from Ernst & Young. That's 4 separate parties, including a HUGE accounting firm worth way more than the NBA. All 4 parties (and even members within those parties) have different motives here. Appeasing them all is impossible, period. There is no way you'll ever convince me their is open and agreed upon collusion happening in that room.

I don't think convincing parties to let the thing be rigged is a feasible argument. So, what's left is a more rogue action from the league without the others knowing. How is this done? Well, we don't have envelopes any more so it's tough.

Weighing the balls? That's the obvious way. Thing is, they don't just draw one ball, they draw 4 of them for a combo and they're always recycled back in there. If they're weighted somehow, how's that gonna work? Wouldn't the same numbers keep coming back up? That's gonna start looking pretty damn obvious. These combos are randomly assigned. Also, I'm pretty certain the balls are inspected AND weighed in front of the representatives by the third party members.

Maybe the machine is rigged to somehow know what ball to pull out, but again, this stuff is all inspected by each party. Perhaps there's a way, but it seems pretty rig-proof to me.

But in the end, the most logical argument is indeed the "it's not worth it". The NBA is doing fine. These are smart people running the thing. The benefit of getting LAL the 1st pick instead of the 4th or 5th or 6th just isn't worth jeopardizing the sanctity of the league. And it's not even close. It's even less logical to assume they'd risk it to get a pick to a small market.

king4day
05-20-2014, 12:35 PM
Maybe it was rigged in the past but last year they actually aired it so I no longer believe it is....as long as they continue to air it.

But if it was rigged, it'd be for the Lakers. They have one bad year, snap up a stud, and are back on top.

abe_froman
05-20-2014, 12:56 PM
Milwaukee-new ownership,a number 1 pick would help in their plans of getting a new arena

Philly-one of 5/6 largest markets in league thats thats going to waste/in desperate need of a star player since a.i. left

Orlando-a top money maker when they have a star,but havent found one since dwight left

Utah-a team that is historically among the top level ,but has fallen in recent years

Boston-arguably the most storied franchise and one of the most popular(when good)in need of a star

LA Lakers-arguably the most storied franchise and most popular team(when good)in need a star to take over for an aging kobe

Sacramento-new ownership and to pay off kj, who's been very active as a players rep(especially during the sale and sterling affairs)

Detroit-storied franchise in need of a pick me up

Cleveland-because all the high picks they've been gifted since lebron left has yet to produce results

Denver-never got a pay off for melo leaving

Minnesota-love is leaving and they need a new draw

Phoenix-young,exciting team that needs a little more to bring that franchise back to being a premiere draw

New Orleans-a market that has really never been tapped and has the best young player in the league,adding another would create one of the most exciting teams/create a new thunder

king4day
05-20-2014, 01:04 PM
One possibility is New Orleans. If they win the lottery, I believe they keep the pick. Can you imagine pairing Parker or Wiggins with Davis? Holy ****!

kingkenny01
05-20-2014, 01:25 PM
If lakers, celtics, and sixer win the first three picks I will flip ****. Three biggest markets and the bucks lost.

ManRam
05-20-2014, 01:40 PM
If lakers, celtics, and sixer win the first three picks I will flip ****. Three biggest markets and the bucks lost.

Well, there's a 35% chance you'll be flipping **** tonight ;)

PhillyFaninLA
05-20-2014, 02:04 PM
My fear is the Pelicans get top 3....I think I'm hoping they stay at 10 as much as I hope we get top 1 or 2.

I'd love to see MCW, McDermont/Harris/Staskus, Wiggins/Parker, Young (I believe we trade him for a mid first rounder on draft day and get the player that goes here), and Noels.

Just the thought of one those SG's and Wiggins or Parker with MCW and Noels is exciting....but as of now we are drafting 5th.

M.Bibby2.0
05-20-2014, 02:45 PM

Hmm no, not even close....

Kaner
05-20-2014, 02:57 PM

thats not how math works :laugh2:

At most there is like a 10-15% chance that those exact 3 get the top 3 picks.

Triple_Ocho
05-20-2014, 02:59 PM
LAL wins because Stern ****ed them with the whole CP3 veto. In Silver we trust!

ManRam
05-20-2014, 03:01 PM
Hmm no, not even close....

I misread it. I read it as "if LAL, Bos or Philly get the first pick"...

My bad. Yeah. Obviously the odds of the teams with the 2nd best odds, 5th best odds and 6th best odds to finish 1-2-3 in whatever order are very low.

Kevj77
05-20-2014, 04:02 PM
Utah isn't Parker Mormon? A Mormon Star in Utah would be great for the Jazz.
Lakers no explanation needed big market important franchise they can't let them flounder.
76ers losing attendance in a big market.
Sacramento is voting soon on if it will fund a new arena for Kings it's a bribe to get it passed.
Celtics same as the Lakers.
Cleveland still paying them back for losing Lebron.
Orlando compensation for Howard.
Bucks new owners.
Minnesota the NBA hates stars leaving small markets hopefully the number one pick will entice Love to stay.
Hmm Denver, Suns and Pistons can't come up with anything.

east fb knicks
05-20-2014, 04:08 PM

:cool:

Lo Porto
05-20-2014, 04:16 PM
I'm a Utah fan. Since the NBA is so rigged (all you have to do is watch these NBA playoffs to see the evidence), I' m more nervous that Utah will get jumped by LA or Boston than I am excited that Utah might get into the top 3.

Bruno
05-20-2014, 04:19 PM
I'm a Utah fan. Since the NBA is so rigged (all you have to do is watch these NBA playoffs to see the evidence), I' m more nervous that Utah will get jumped by LA or Boston than I am excited that Utah might get into the top 3.

i wouldn't be surprised by a Lakers/Celtics jump into first, bucks go second and draft joel e to pair with giannis. and the jazz pick up Parker with the third pick, for rigging purposed.

east fb knicks
05-20-2014, 04:22 PM
Boston huge market nuff said
LAL: lost d12 and another huge market either la or bos will have a top 2 pick I guarantee it
Utah: trying to turn the jazz into a money maker
ORL: lost d12 and they didn't get number 1 last year if the magic get the pick you know the league is fixed idgaf
Philly:another huge market and maybe they tanked all year cuz they knew the nba would give them the pick
Milwaukee:new owner and the fans need something to cheer about they deserve the pick imo
Sac turning the west into a super power house
Detroit: making up for dumars being ther gm
Cleveland:they lost lbj:D I wouldn't be surprised if they get the first pick next year too ntm trying to keep irving on the cavs
Denver: because the nba hates the knicks
Minny: keep love in minny
Phoenix: keep the east as the lower conf

j-bay
05-20-2014, 04:27 PM
If Cleveland does nothing between now and 2016, Kyrie will be gone.

Lo Porto
05-20-2014, 04:35 PM
i wouldn't be surprised by a Lakers/Celtics jump into first, bucks go second and draft joel e to pair with giannis. and the jazz pick up Parker with the third pick, for rigging purposed.

That wouldn't surprise me either. And that would work for me too although I'd much rather have Wiggins.

Teeboy1487
05-20-2014, 04:56 PM
I say rig it for the Lakers lol. There would be a lot more happier people than the ones crying rigged. It's not like the 6th worst record have not had success in the lottery before. I bet if the Lakers get the 9th pick, no one will say anything.

Avenged
05-20-2014, 05:07 PM
The most anticipated draft lottery in a while. #lakerssystem

.. We'll probably get like #9 though. I can feel a bad day coming.

slashsnake
05-20-2014, 05:25 PM
I say the NBA quits rigging the draft for its small markets and finally helps one of the big boys. In the history of the lottery, the Celtics and Lakers have moved up once, a pick that was Len Bias. Out of the moves from their expected positions they have lost positions 3 times more often than they gained position. Obvious rigging against large market teams in the NBA. Knicks are 1 up and 3 down as well. 24 lottery picks, 2 up and 6 down. Durant and Love are the latest two in a long running Stern rigging for the small market that he screwed a big market team out of.

I think the NBA stops rigging itself for the windfall they get from small market teams being better, and tries to rig something for a big name franchise finally. :eyebrow:

Or Minny gets it since the owners hate big 3's joining forces and want Love to stay there.

_Gmen_
05-20-2014, 07:17 PM
Lakers and Boston.

They need the Lakers relevant and they need Boston to get a Wiggins or Parker to play alongside Rondo to make another team outside of the Heat interesting to watch in the east.