PDA

View Full Version : Mark Cuban Hired Former FBI Agent to Investigate Officiating

mike_noodles
05-19-2014, 08:18 PM
Cuban was noticeably upset with the officials in Game 5, of which the Heat won. After the game ended, Cuban stormed onto the court and openly confronted official Joe DeRosa.

His frustrations eventually led him to consult retired 20-year veteran FBI agent Warren Flagg, who looked into the officiating on behalf of Cuban. In Flagg's own words, he told Cuban "'Sue and you'll win your case,' but he knew he'd be killing the Golden Goose."

Cuban ultimately heeded Flagg's advice, and decided against suing the league.

Flagg was later hired by the NBA to investigate the Tim Donaghy scandal, in which the disgraced former referee admitted to betting on the outcome of NBA games.

His comments on that investigation were quite troublesome.

"They wanted this thing to be closed," Flagg said, "and their story was that Tim was the only bad apple. I've never seen a cooperating witness so hammered and badgered. It was because the NBA was running the thing."

He also went on to add:

"If that Donaghy internal investigation ever gets leaked, it's going to be like the performance-enhancing drug investigation in baseball"

http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/505182

He was told that if he sued the NBA, he would win. That's crazy. I'm so mixed on this I don't even know what to say really.

Slug3
05-19-2014, 08:25 PM
That gave out no new details on anything. We knew that ref was already crooked. I can buy into Mark not wanting to sue if he found out a lot of good info. I mean if something like the NBA rigging games gets out, the whole league would be ruined and Mark would be out the 500-600+ million his team is worth.

flea
05-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Bring out the NBA apologists accusing you of tin foil hat-wearing.

GiantsSwaGG
05-19-2014, 08:28 PM
His investigation will be FIXED

_Gmen_
05-19-2014, 08:30 PM
Someone needs to take down the NBA.

mike_noodles
05-19-2014, 08:35 PM
That gave out no new details on anything. We knew that ref was already crooked. I can buy into Mark not wanting to sue if he found out a lot of good info. I mean if something like the NBA rigging games gets out, the whole league would be ruined and Mark would be out the 500-600+ million his team is worth.

For me it did. I didn't know that he had hired a former fed to investigate. Nor that he would likely win a lawsuit against the league.

I actually hope the whole investigation into Donaghy does come out so we can see how corrupt the league really is. Maybe the conspiracy theorists have been right all along.

FlashBolt
05-19-2014, 09:52 PM
He could have mad a fortune. I'm giving Mark my word. He doesn't seem like the one to lie. Watch Shark Tank, dude is a genius.

Slug3
05-19-2014, 09:59 PM
For me it did. I didn't know that he had hired a former fed to investigate. Nor that he would likely win a lawsuit against the league.

I actually hope the whole investigation into Donaghy does come out so we can see how corrupt the league really is. Maybe the conspiracy theorists have been right all along.

I'm not going to say either way if yes it is fixed or no it's not. But I do know if it comes out that it has been fixed that it could destroy the league and maybe even a lot of legacies.

Cal827
05-19-2014, 10:06 PM
I'm not going to say either way if yes it is fixed or no it's not. But I do know if it comes out that it has been fixed that it could destroy the league and maybe even a lot of legacies.

Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant probably sent people to Cuban's house to make him reconsider lol

HoopsDrive
05-19-2014, 10:08 PM

Isn't integrity more important though? Wouldn't you rather have a clean league than not, even at a (massive) cost?

Seems like a pretty naive question to ask, I know. Money talks louder virtually every time so I'm not at all surprised by any of this. I am hoping this **** comes out eventually though.

MrfadeawayJB
05-19-2014, 10:42 PM
They definitely fix games. It's become more and more obvious since the 2000s

IndyRealist
05-19-2014, 10:54 PM
I'll see your FBI agent and raise you a Law Professor:

Working in concert with affiliated referees, coaches, players, facility personnel, commercial sponsors, or broadcast partners, a sports league cognizant of such demand function can, in theory and practice, manipulate their own contests to artificially inflate consumer interest and revenue potential. So long as such manipulation has no nexus to gambling, the rigging of game outcomes or individual events therein is legal. No federal law definitely prohibits it.
And....

In 2005 the Dallas Mavericks lost two playoff games to the Houston Rockets. Mark Cuban sent the league several e-mails complaining about 29 illegal screens (focusing, in particular, on Yao Ming). The NBA reviewed the screens and confirmed Mark Cuban was indeed correct. Even before Mark Cubanís e-mails, they had also sent out information to their referees in regards to how to call these. The league made a change in how they were calling games that probably impacted the outcome. To stress, there was nothing wrong with this. In fact, it certainly seems like the NBA did the right thing. But the point is simple, the NBA can instruct its employees to change their actions in a way that can change the outcome of a game or a series. As long as money isnít on the line, it is perfectly legal!
http://wagesofwins.com/2013/07/03/is-it-legal-for-the-nba-to-rig-games/

Raps18-19 Champ
05-19-2014, 11:01 PM
Let's shut the NBA already so everyone stops *****ing.

ghettosean
05-19-2014, 11:04 PM

Yeah pretty easy to see now a days!

numba1CHANGsta
05-19-2014, 11:09 PM
Dynasties are fixed, the Mavs had no business being in the NBA Finals in 2011, but they won the hard way, thats why you hardly see these random teams in the finals, it's always the same teams SA/OKC/MIA

Cal827
05-19-2014, 11:14 PM
^ and in the 2000s, the Lakers :D

Method28
05-19-2014, 11:18 PM
This is not stunning but it is disappointing to read. Flagg had such strong opinions that can't help but make you think twice. The officiating in the Clippers-OKC series was absolutely horrendous. The playoffs as a whole have been an embarrassment to the league.

Its not out of the realm that the league would do this and its pretty sad.

Dade County
05-20-2014, 01:33 AM
Someone needs to take down the NBA.

I can't wait for the day that this **** gets exposed... The entire stern era, was one big scripted drama. To the show time Lakers & Larry Bird to Mj being untouchable to Lbj giving Dallas a championship.

I just hope it happens sooner then later.

Burn this **** to the ground.

WVNowitzki
05-20-2014, 01:53 AM
LeBron giving a title to Dallas? Lol alright well you can thank Stern for the one in 06 then too. That officiating was some of the worst the league has ever seen.

i'myourdaddy
05-20-2014, 02:12 AM
^ and in the 2000s, the Lakers :D

LOL what do you expect out of a Laker Homer.

gatkins11
05-20-2014, 02:37 AM
LeBron giving a title to Dallas? Lol alright well you can thank Stern for the one in 06 then too. That officiating was some of the worst the league has ever seen.

This.

SMH!
05-20-2014, 02:42 AM

yep

Shlumpledink
05-20-2014, 04:02 AM
Durr, the finals have been fixed as far as matchups are concerned. Boston was given an almost entirely defensive crew in the playoffs during their championship runs. I've never seen a team so physical on one end, get called for ticky tacks the other way. Leon Powe anyone?

D-Wade and Shaq winning had nba fixing all over it.

D-Leethal
05-20-2014, 10:54 AM
I think the refs are obviously encouraged to referee different games different ways and there is obviously an agenda. I think it mostly has to do with promoting a style of play, discouraging a style of play, calling the game in a way your superstars will shine and it will make for great entertainment. I am not sure it goes beyond that, I think there would be way too many moving parts involved to ever be able to keep that tight lipped in today's world. Way too much risk for the league to actually fix games and make sure one team wins and the other loses by any means necessary.

NYKnickFanatic
05-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Mark Cuban is the man.

Dade County
05-20-2014, 11:49 AM

Wade went to the line 97 times I think in that series... NBA = Entertainment.

Wade was unstoppable in that series, but the refs gave Wade the Jordan treatment, I can gladly admit that. Don't blame the HEAT organization or Wade... The blame goes to Stern & Jordan.

d00d
05-20-2014, 12:05 PM
He could have mad a fortune. I'm giving Mark my word. He doesn't seem like the one to lie. Watch Shark Tank, dude is a genius.

Reality TV is the best way to gauge a person's intellect

slashsnake
05-20-2014, 12:27 PM
It depends.. You want to look at numbers, nothing was as dominant as the Lakers and Celtics. 51 finals appearances between the two. No other team has more than 9. The only team to really break their runs has been Jordans Bulls who happens to be the most marketable NBA player ever and got a LOT of questionable fouls. I guess if you are going to believe they are fixed, the evidence really points to those teams first.

I just don't see a league wide fix personally. Too many people involved to have to keep happy here. Ref pension plans would have to pay them more than players.

BALLER R
05-20-2014, 12:45 PM
It's only getting worst. I mean a couple times sure but the officiating this year has been terrible league wide.

jason6692
05-20-2014, 12:48 PM
2006 was the biggest rig and bs ever Dirk should have 2 rings wade and Shaq are children of Satan how does bum ads wade end up with Shaq and LeBron in his career what a lucky piece of crap. They need go expose everything so we can get our other ring back Dallas the only team to earn it in the last 8 years

FOBolous
05-20-2014, 12:55 PM
Dynasties are fixed, the Mavs had no business being in the NBA Finals in 2011, but they won the hard way, thats why you hardly see these random teams in the finals, it's always the same teams SA/OKC/MIA

SA an OKC are both extremely small markets. and herelies the problem with the conspiracy theories. if it DOES happen...if bad officating is purposeful and not the result of human error....why would the league allow small market teams like SA and OKC to be so successful? Granted, OKC has Durant was is extremely marketable but SA? They are a boring team, in a small city, with no marketable stars. How by NYK? NYC is probably the biggest basketball market there is yet their struggle is well documented. Or Boston. Boston is the most storied franchise behind the Lakers yet their success in recent times is minimal. The claims of the conspiracy theorists and real life results doesn't match up.

flea
05-20-2014, 01:00 PM
SA an OKC are both extremely small markets. and herelies the problem with the conspiracy theories. if it DOES happen...if bad officating is purposeful and not the result of human error....why would the league allow small market teams like SA and OKC to be so successful? Granted, OKC has Durant was is extremely marketable but SA? They are a boring team, in a small city, with no marketable stars. How by NYK? NYC is probably the biggest basketball market there is yet their struggle is well documented. Or Boston. Boston is the most storied franchise behind the Lakers yet their success in recent times is minimal. The claims of the conspiracy theorists and real life results doesn't match up.

All of these issues have been addressed before. For some reason, people like you think rigging has to mean that every second is scripted, and every outcome is the most profitable. That's not how you rig sports.

raiderfaninTX
05-20-2014, 01:15 PM
All of these issues have been addressed before. For some reason, people like you think rigging has to mean that every second is scripted, and every outcome is the most profitable. That's not how you rig sports.

I cant get over that LAC OKC game 5. Every ****ing time the clips started to run the whistles came out. it was awful. I mean half of the thunders points half way through the second quarter were free throws. Then the ending ........

slashsnake
05-20-2014, 01:56 PM

No, but if they are rigging it they are doing a horrendous job at it. OKC, Indy, and SA, all small market teams in the playoffs. No rigging needed to get the Heat where they are now. I just don't see a big windfall of money from potential riggings here. Even if you want to argue OKC vs. the Clippers. Both have stars, Clips have the bigger market and storyline.

And this is the great thing about the conspiracy theories. You don't even have to come up with a viable reason, a viable savings, who is involved, proof, etc. Logic can get thrown out the window here. Just find some questionable calls and claim its rigged.

slashsnake
05-20-2014, 02:04 PM

Why then fix dynasties in San Antonio and Miami then? San Antonio has had finals where tickets to the game didn't even sell out. If they are rigging, #1 goal should be SA falls apart. #2 goal should be the big three get together in Boston, NY, Chicago, Philly, or for the Lakers. This is the most inept rigging ever if they wanted it rigged.

You bring up OKC as well. Why does the NBA want a dynasty there? Why do you feel the NBA is rigging the league to ensure that it has its dynasties in its smallest markets?

alexander_37
05-20-2014, 03:13 PM
As much as I hate the Mavs I love Cuban. Easily one of the best owners in sports. Would I want him to own one of my favorite teams? No, but the fact that he exists is great.

KnicksLover
05-20-2014, 03:28 PM

No he doesn't look like a genius on Shark Tank.

But he is a genius as a businessman in real life.

krazylegz
05-20-2014, 04:01 PM
yet people still watch

Da Knicks
05-20-2014, 10:46 PM

We have explained this over and over, okc needs a good team to get the new team in new city fans that stay for the long run. San Antonio is filled with international players to get other countries to buy into the game of basketball. How many people in France, Argentina, brazil are now fans because of it? Think big picture...!

New York you say should be a market to push? Did you ever hear of a guy by the name of Jeremy Lin? New York sells out the arena year after year the fans are die hards. I go to MSG and now live in Texas, they don't need to work on that market.

The markets that need help are Los Angeles and Miami. I say this because if you are not winning you are not cool in those markets. Miami struggled with attendance even after 2006 when they got the title.
Los Angeles is a big market but why don't they have an nfl team? Low attendance because the teams couldn't win. The nfl is more of a USA thing therefore tries to keep all of the fanbases happy the nba is global and tries to make the world look at it like they view soccer.

Put it this way don't tell wwe fans that wrestling is fake if you can't see that the nba is just the same. Enjoy the freaks of nature and don't question the real issues of the world. The government made the gladiators back in the day to keep people from questioning them. Guess what they stayed and we stay on forums arguing back and forth when the world is getting worse by the day! My two cents in the matter...

Dade County
05-21-2014, 11:49 AM
2006 was the biggest rig and bs ever Dirk should have 2 rings wade and Shaq are children of Satan how does bum ads wade end up with Shaq and LeBron in his career what a lucky piece of crap. They need go expose everything so we can get our other ring back Dallas the only team to earn it in the last 8 years

Lol

You think the Dallas palyers or game plan had something to do with Lbj averaging 1.2 pts in the 4th quarter of 4 straight Final's game... :laugh:

:laugh2:

They need go expose everything so we can get our other ring back, HEAT the only team to earn it in the last 8 years

I fixed that for you... Dear goodness