PDA

View Full Version : Simmons: Grizzlies trying to trade for Thibs

D-Leethal
05-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Bulls have their eye on Hoiberg. This could get juicy. Grizz just fired their CEO and their 12 year old billionaire owner is about to give Hollinger and the rookie coach the axe.

Bill Simmons @BillSimmons
Hearing that, if the Grizz totally clean house, the Memphis owner will look to trade for Tom Thibodeau + give him an SVG/Pistons-type deal.

The Memphis Grizzlies will look to trade for Tom Thibodeau for a head coach/president of basketball operatoins role.

The Grizzlies parted ways with Jason Levien as CEO on Monday.

The Chicago Bulls could use the extra assets for a run at Kevin Love and an extra first round pick would help in their trade efforts.

Fred Hoiberg would be hired by the Bulls if Thibodeau goes to the Grizzlies.

Via Bill Simmons/ESPN

P&GRealist
05-19-2014, 04:51 PM
What's the point of Love/Rose/Noah if you don't have Thibs as the coach?

D-Leethal
05-19-2014, 04:52 PM
Sorry, the CEO stepped down, wasn't fired.

Jason Levien has stepped down from his position as CEO of the Memphis Grizzlies.

Levien's resignation appears to be in response to the dismissal of assistant GM Stu Lash.

Levien joined the Grizzlies in November of 2012.

Levien is a former player agent, though he joined the Sacramento Kings' front office in 2008 and stepped down in 2010.

The future of Dave Joerger and John Hollinger is unclear due to the apparent clash between current ownership and Robert Pera.

Chris Wallace will assume responsibility for the front office on an interim basis.

David Mncberg, general counsel of the Grizzlies, has long been rumored to want more decision-making power, according to Zach Lowe.

A source tells Marc J. Spears that Levien and Pera had been at odds for over a year.

Kushed
05-19-2014, 05:00 PM
WTF is going on ?? This is after Joeger in his first year got that Grizzlies team to the playoffs all while missing Gasol for a good chunk of time and giving the Thunder a pretty good run in round 1??

The NBA is a ****ed up place

abe_froman
05-19-2014, 05:05 PM
everyone wants thibs...but sorry ,no,he isnt going anywhere

Sadds The Gr8
05-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Wow Hollinger getting axed that quick?

flea
05-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Joerger is a good coach and this whole story sounds like BS. Simmons is still a hack.

FYL_McVeezy
05-19-2014, 05:09 PM
I wish NY would trade for Thibs but Phil isn't gonna make the call....

D-Leethal
05-19-2014, 05:29 PM
Joerger is a good coach and this whole story sounds like BS. Simmons is still a hack.

How does it sound like BS? We've been hearing about the friction with Thibs and management for a couple years now. Grizz have a new hot shot billionaire owner who is barely 30 years and has butted heads with everyone since he's gotten there so it sounds reasonable to me.

flea
05-19-2014, 05:31 PM
How does it sound like BS? We've been hearing about the friction with Thibs and management for a couple years now. Grizz have a new hot shot billionaire owner who is barely 30 years and has butted heads with everyone since he's gotten there so it sounds reasonable to me.

Because the Griz just got their guy, they went to the WCF last year, and should have won their first series this year if the NBA weren't rigged. I just doubt they fire their coach in his first year, or even risk the turmoil by exploring it, just so they can maybe have Thibs come and take over HC/GM position.

cssdmark
05-19-2014, 05:32 PM
Wtf!!!!

slashsnake
05-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Because the Griz just got their guy, they went to the WCF last year, and should have won their first series this year if the NBA weren't rigged. I just doubt they fire their coach in his first year, or even risk the turmoil by exploring it, just so they can maybe have Thibs come and take over HC/GM position.

Not buying the rigged NBA bit, Thunder were clearly the better team in 3 of their wins, and the game 4 win while close wasn't badly called... Unless the Grizz players and coaches were on the take to throw that series, I don't see a realistic reason to believe it was rigged. Memphis won 3 of the 4 close games. So if they were rigging it for the Thunder they were doing one of the worst jobs ever at that. But if the new leadership wants their own guys, or the coach is pissed they made that change they may try to make the move.

flea
05-19-2014, 05:51 PM
Not buying the rigged NBA bit, Thunder were clearly the better team in 3 of their wins, and the game 4 win while close wasn't badly called... Unless the Grizz players and coaches were on the take to throw that series, I don't see a realistic reason to believe it was rigged. Memphis won 3 of the 4 close games. So if they were rigging it for the Thunder they were doing one of the worst jobs ever at that. But if the new leadership wants their own guys, or the coach is pissed they made that change they may try to make the move.

Well even if you're right we'll never know. The NBA suspended Z-Bo, effectively handing the series to the Thunder before game 7 tipped.

Shammyguy3
05-19-2014, 05:55 PM
what a stupid thing :laugh2: god, I love Simmons but this guy has something against Thibs and the Bulls. He loves Thibs' *** I guess.

Ebbs
05-19-2014, 05:56 PM
Memphis doesn't need better coaching, they need better player personnel. Some perimeter players who can ****ing score.

abe_froman
05-19-2014, 06:00 PM
there was one incident a year ago and that was it.you guys and the media harp on it out of hopefulness that he'll leave for whatever team is in need of a coach.ignoring that ,to date, nothing has ever come from it.that every report of knicks,warriors,lakers and now the grizzlies,that he's still here

kozelkid
05-19-2014, 06:08 PM
What could Memphis possibly offer that would keep the Bulls interested?

MrfadeawayJB
05-19-2014, 06:18 PM
I think Joeger is safe, at least that's what interim CEO Chris Wallace said today. Hollinger is also safe IMO. Robert Pera had been very hands on and actually I love it. As long as he surrounds himself with bright basketball minds advising him, I'm ok with it.

MassoDio
05-19-2014, 06:27 PM
What could Memphis possibly offer that would keep the Bulls interested?

This would be my question.

I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that it could happen, I just don't see anything the Grizzlies could entice them with. Unless they are okay with getting an additional pick in this draft, and maybe a future pick, both of witch they would in turn try to trade to Minnesota for Love. Even then, I'm not sure.

MrfadeawayJB
05-19-2014, 06:45 PM
I dont think the grizz would have to offer too much considering the bulls seem like they want to get hoiberg anyways

Stunner
05-19-2014, 07:20 PM
This rumor was already shut down , I use to like bill still do sometimes he's entertaining but this thing with Thibs is annoying me .

Bulls_fan90
05-19-2014, 08:39 PM
I dont think the grizz would have to offer too much considering the bulls seem like they want to get hoiberg anyways
Yeah I'm sure the Bulls are happy to trade away a top two coach in the league for cheap. Because you know, why not?

Crackadalic
05-19-2014, 08:42 PM
Bill Simmons and frank isola need to be together as the king of trolls

MrfadeawayJB
05-19-2014, 10:33 PM
Yeah I'm sure the Bulls are happy to trade away a top two coach in the league for cheap. Because you know, why not?

If they plan on replacing him then why not. I think Joeger is very good and will only get better anyways. Thibs is a defensive guy and Memphis doesn't need help with that. Plus thibs playoff rotations are pretty terrible

Stunner
05-19-2014, 10:42 PM
If they plan on replacing him then why not. I think Joeger is very good and will only get better anyways. Thibs is a defensive guy and Memphis doesn't need help with that. Plus thibs playoff rotations are pretty terrible

We aren't tho

Teufelshunde4
05-20-2014, 04:42 PM
I wish NY would trade for Thibs but Phil isn't gonna make the call....

Phil's beef wasnt with Reinsdorf.. It was with that ego maniac Krause.. Above all else Reinsdorf is a pragmatic man..
I just dont see Bulls letting Thibs go in any scenario. If they did it would have to be big return coming back.

flea
05-20-2014, 04:46 PM
Simmons is probably jealous of Joerger because he's younger, more talented, and the league knows it. His panties are still in a twist over not getting the TWolves job over Kahn. Just ask him.