PDA

View Full Version : Better and/or more exciting era.

alexander_37
05-19-2014, 01:19 AM
Which do you prefer modern day say last 10 years or the 90's to early 00's.

I honestly think the 90's were more exciting and better basketball. Even as an efficiency junky the 90's were stacked. Yes there's some crossover between the era's i know.

In their mid-later years
Jordan
Hakeem

Prime
Shaq
Iverson
Penny
Malone
Glove
Stockton
Kidd
Barkley
Admiral
Ewing

Early
Allen
KG
Kobe
Tmac
Duncan

ThuglifeJ
05-19-2014, 01:38 AM
Try a poll next time. The early 2000s were the pinnacle of basketball talent in my eyes. The abilities of these players we were seeing were out of this world, jaw dropping stuff...just spoiled us fans cuz I don't think we'll ever have such a perfect mixture of talent, and each team having their own unique star. The 90s were the best in terms of competitiveness. 2000s is my favorite because the players, but being honest with myself, it was more 'fun'. 90s was more real cutthroat competition. So hopefully one day we'll see a early 2000s mix of talented unique players mixed with 90s competitiveness and heart. Except I really don't know what there possibly could be seen that we haven't seen (however I said this in 1999 and then we saw Vince Carter jump over a 7 footer, a 7'6 Asian, a 6'8 point guard/power forward, and much more...)

Looking at the 80s with Bird/Magic, and researching it, it seems like an amazing era as well...

All I know is that it all ***** on about 2007 and on...seriously you can throw numbers at me I dont care, the current league is just not that special.. Granted the first round of the playoffs this year was AMAZING, I watched nearly every second of it wow. Yet for some reason it was dead quiet in the Brooklyn..the officiating was at an all-time worse..some players were getting suspended, some weren't..Heat get an easy pass the the ECF..players cant NOT foul on a 3 point shot...league is looking fixed at times...just the little things like that are irritating

P&GRealist
05-19-2014, 02:07 AM
1. Early to mid 2000s
2. 90s
3. 80s
4. mid 2000s to 2010
5. 2010-present

DerekCzajkowski
05-19-2014, 02:10 AM
90s were by far better than the terrible product out there today. No defense today to many egos and just to many thugs and no its not a racial thing. There's no true bad boys either like a rodman people who act hard but arent. I really thinking LeBron James ruined basketball for me. The whole teaming up to win championships killed it. I miss the old knicks vs pacers types of series.

Chronz
05-19-2014, 02:55 AM
What if we ranked decades by parity. Where do the 90's rank?

ThuglifeJ
05-19-2014, 03:07 AM
1. Early to mid 2000s
2. 90s
3. 80s
4. mid 2000s to 2010
5. 2010-present

And we think alike!

P&GRealist
05-19-2014, 03:27 AM
And we think alike!

:cheers:

lessleyxip
05-19-2014, 04:17 AM
The whole teaming up to win championships killed it.http://isoftwaresale.com/5ce6.jpg

bloomis1307
05-19-2014, 08:14 AM
I like bigman post moves and footwork. Banging in the paint and fighting for boards.....you just don't see that anymore in today's NBA. Thats why I like watching Kevin Love and Zbo; neither are the most athletic guys in the league but they fight and position themselves to get rebounds while other players like hibbert who may not be athletic either but has all the size in the world sometimes will end up with 2 boards a night.

Vince70
05-19-2014, 08:16 AM
1. 1980's
2. 1990's
3. early to mid 2000's
4. early to mid 2010's
5. mid to late 2000's

I can't comment on the 60's/70's cause I didn't start watching till the early 80's.

slashsnake
05-19-2014, 09:35 AM
Kind of liking the teams today. Nothing against them, but for the longest time it seemed like either the Lakers or Celtics were in the finals, and nobody else could consistently compete with that (a few exceptions). This year we have Miami, OKC, SA, and Indiana in the conference finals, not major markets, not cornerstone franchises of the league. It's neat seeing new (relatively speaking) teams taking that dominant side while NY, Boston, and LA struggle some. Not hating on those teams at all. I really liked them actually, but change is fun.

My favorite period though... 90's.

ewing
05-19-2014, 10:01 AM
the early 2000's was a terrible era in my opinion. I like the physical 90's and todays versatile ball movement styles much more then watching guys like AI, Steph, and Franchise, carry the ball past people and shoot 35 times a night

IndyRealist
05-19-2014, 10:06 AM
The 2000's were a really, really poor brand of basketball until Lebron came along. No one could figure out what to do about Shaq. The 80s and 90s leading up to the Dream Team, imo.

But this question really just boils down to, how old are you?

KnicksorBust
05-19-2014, 10:24 AM
In the 80s you had the most legendary rivalry of all-time Magic vs. Bird.
In the 90s you had the greatest player of all-time at his peak (Jordan) while watching an aggressive hard-nosed style of defensive basketball (with post-players galore).
In the early-mid 00s you had the selfish me-first attitude style of basketball take over and ruin a dynasty (Shaq-Kobe Lakers).
In the modern era you have the super-teams (Pierce-KG-Allen + LeBron-Wade-Bosh) and the analytics movement which has led to an obsession of efficiency and high percentage shots thus destroying post-play and limiting mid-range games.

To be honest, each era was different and I've enjoyed them all. I like seeing the game evolve. I miss post-play but that's about it.

D-Leethal
05-19-2014, 04:44 PM
I am a sucker for footwork, post play, hard fouls and defense so I'm partial towards the 90s. I also enjoyed when the mid range was utilized as more than a bridge from the 3 point line to the rim.

Sadds The Gr8
05-19-2014, 05:06 PM
I liked 90s the best

IndyRealist
05-19-2014, 11:06 PM
....In the modern era you have the super-teams (Pierce-KG-Allen + LeBron-Wade-Bosh) and the analytics movement which has led to an obsession of efficiency and high percentage shots thus destroying post-play and limiting mid-range games....

Post plays are extremely high efficiency plays. The analytics movement did not destroy post play, rule changes implemented by the NBA to try to contain Shaq destroyed post play. Hand checking, defensive/offensive 3 seconds, zone, all designed to protect perimeter players and marginalize big men. This is not disputed by anybody, how do you have it so wrong?

The mid range game? That's not analytics, that's counting and common sense. Why take a 20ft 2pt shot with a low chance of going in when you can take a 23ft 3pt shot with an equal chance of going in, or a 5ft 2pt shot with a much better chance of going in?

king4day
05-19-2014, 11:32 PM
Don't forget Miller

KnicksorBust
05-20-2014, 09:08 AM
Post plays are extremely high efficiency plays. The analytics movement did not destroy post play, rule changes implemented by the NBA to try to contain Shaq destroyed post play. Hand checking, defensive/offensive 3 seconds, zone, all designed to protect perimeter players and marginalize big men. This is not disputed by anybody, how do you have it so wrong?

Shots at the basket are "extremely high efficiency plays." Actual 1 on 1 post-up plays are not. Name your favorite low post player and I will show you what I mean.

The mid range game? That's not analytics, that's counting and common sense. Why take a 20ft 2pt shot with a low chance of going in when you can take a 23ft 3pt shot with an equal chance of going in, or a 5ft 2pt shot with a much better chance of going in?

Of course it's analytics. Your confusing a coach's edict which every player has been preached since they were 8 years old with a statistical revolution. If your reasoning was correct than this adjustment would have happened a long time ago. However, the percentage of mid-range shots in the NBA has dramatically dropped over the last five years. It was at an all-time low of 26.8% this year from 31.5% five years ago. The Houston Rockets are the most extreme example. They attempted 29.4% of their shots there in 2011-12, but that figure fell to 14.6% in 2012-13, with the addition of James Harden, and dipped even more to 11.1% this season with the acquisition of Dwight Howard. Both rates were the lowest in the NBA.

todu82
05-20-2014, 10:29 AM
90's to early 00's.

beyourself
05-20-2014, 12:49 PM
If you say the early 2000s you either liked watching Shaq turn around and dunk on people's faces. He was awesome, but not the aesthetically pleasing to watch. Or you liked watching the Spurs win 90-84 all day every day every year. And I'm guessing most people didn't like that.

Or you liked hero ball where we got to see everybody fail at being Michael Jordan.

mjm07
05-20-2014, 01:11 PM
What if we ranked decades by parity. Where do the 90's rank?

excellent new thread question