PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Love trade value?

raiderfaninTX
05-17-2014, 08:27 PM
I think everyone agrees that the wolves will loose love so I believe they should trade him. They could possibly end up with two top 10 picks in doing so.

So the question is what's his value?

Would lets say the lakers be willing to give up a top 3 pick this year for him if they received that high of a pick?
Is he even worth that high of a pick?

It seems to me with a decent draft class this year the twolves should trade him sooner than later. Obvious this would require he sign a contract with the trade

goingfor28
05-17-2014, 08:32 PM
He's worth more than just a top 3 pick imo

raiderfaninTX
05-17-2014, 08:38 PM
Yeah I agree that is more of a starter for trade talks

smith&wesson
05-17-2014, 08:45 PM
Lakers first round pick + Pau for Love

alexander_37
05-17-2014, 08:51 PM
I dont think any team in the top 4-5 would do it in this years draft. He isn't making any of thosr teams a contender or even pushing them into the playoffs. He isn't going to want to go to another non contender.

jerellh528
05-17-2014, 08:59 PM
Kevin love's people reiterated to wolves, trade him to the lakers or he will leave in 2015
http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-rumors-kevin-love-wants-to-play-for-lakers-open-to-knicks/2014/05/17/

TheMightyHumph
05-17-2014, 09:06 PM

If I were TWolves, I'd hold out for a little more.

P&GRealist
05-17-2014, 09:18 PM
He's worth more than just a top 3 pick imo

His value plummets when he's entering the new season as an expiring who is inevitably going to bolt in free agency next summer.

Pau (S&T, gets to play with Rubio) + Nash (expiring, mentor for 1 yr to Rubio) + lakers 6-9 pick for Love.

Makes just too much sense not to pursue and execute it.

P&GRealist
05-17-2014, 09:20 PM

Love only wants to play in Lakerland or Ny as 2nd choice. No team will give up a lotto pick for a half season rental without promise of resigning.

AddiX
05-17-2014, 09:21 PM
He's a player you add to a team, not a player you build around. I still have a hard time picturing how to really make it work with him.

tredigs
05-17-2014, 09:22 PM
How much would a team that he likely won't sign for pay for him as a one year rental, though?

I'd float D. Lee + Barnes and a 1st for Love + Barea if I'm Golden State. They'd get both through 2016 and it's not a bad consolation if they're guaranteed to lose Love. And if GS made a run + they clicked, I think he'd consider resigning with us as we move to the new stadium in SF. Even if he doesn't re-sign it offers Golden State a ton of cap-space for the 2015 off-season.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ladcms2

P&GRealist
05-17-2014, 09:26 PM
He's a player you add to a team, not a player you build around. I still have a hard time picturing how to really make it work with him.

Kobe,Love,Melo should do then trick. I really think that's what the Lakers are trying to do this summer.

P&GRealist
05-17-2014, 09:28 PM

How much would a team that he likely won't sign for pay for him as a one year rental, though?

I'd float D. Lee + Barnes and a 1st for Love + Barea if I'm Golden State. They'd get both through 2016 and it's not a bad consolation if they're guaranteed to lose Love. And if GS made a run + they clicked, I think he'd consider resigning with us as we move to the new stadium in SF. Even if he doesn't re-sign it offers Golden State a ton of cap-space for the 2015 off-season.

Love is either worth a top 10 pick in this yrs draft or a mid pick and 2 late first rounders of this yrs draft. David Lee is an overrated dude. Why would Rubio want to play with him?

jerellh528
05-17-2014, 09:32 PM
Kobe,Love,Melo should do then trick. I really think that's what the Lakers are trying to do this summer.

I sure hope not. I'd rather skip on both this yr. keep our pick then have love come as a fa next yr.

tredigs
05-17-2014, 09:45 PM
Love is either worth a top 10 pick in this yrs draft or a mid pick and 2 late first rounders of this yrs draft. David Lee is an overrated dude. Why would Rubio want to play with him?

I mean, D. Lee's a borderline AS caliber 4 and a great teammate. He's not a bad consolation as a fill in 4 if you're guaranteed to lose Love for nothing if you don't act. Barnes is still just 21 and could potentially blossom into a very good player in a new role. Plus they'd get the 1st in my scenario, so there's some more promise depending on the draft.

I just don't see them getting a much better offer than something like that for a 1 year rental.

AddiX
05-17-2014, 10:15 PM

Kobe and melo on the same team would be comical.

And Kevin love needs a deandre Jordan, Tyson Chandler type, to be successful in this league. If you don't have that, than don't waste your time with him. And even with those guys I'm not convinced it would work, his defense is THAT bad.

TheMightyHumph
05-17-2014, 11:42 PM
His value plummets when he's entering the new season as an expiring who is inevitably going to bolt in free agency next summer.

Pau (S&T, gets to play with Rubio) + Nash (expiring, mentor for 1 yr to Rubio) + lakers 6-9 pick for Love.

Makes just too much sense not to pursue and execute it.

Yes, it makes tons of sense for TWolves to help the Lakers.

TWolves will probably look to the East if they are going to deal Love.

Method28
05-17-2014, 11:50 PM
I don't see the need for the Lakers to trade anything for Love if he's going to walk on as a FA.

If I were the Lakers and wanted to get it done NOW then maybe I offer Pau and a first or two in the future. Definitely not getting this years pick.

dnl123
05-17-2014, 11:57 PM
I don't see the need for the Lakers to trade anything for Love if he's going to walk on as a FA.

If I were the Lakers and wanted to get it done NOW then maybe I offer Pau and a first or two in the future. Definitely not getting this years pick.

The Lakers have nothing to offer the Wolves that they'd be interested in. The whole Pau Gasol thing just shows how ignorant Laker fans are about the value of their own players.

Method28
05-18-2014, 12:07 AM

The Lakers have nothing to offer the Wolves that they'd be interested in. The whole Pau Gasol thing just shows how ignorant Laker fans are about the value of their own players.

If the reports are then the Wolves don't have much of a choice. I'd rather take a couple picks and a good big that I may be able to flip at the deadline for something than nothing at all.

Maybe that's just me I guess.

Trwood12
05-18-2014, 12:20 AM

Pau has no value anymore. He's only getting older and more injury prone.

Trwood12
05-18-2014, 12:22 AM
Kevin love's people reiterated to wolves, trade him to the lakers or he will leave in 2015
http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-rumors-kevin-love-wants-to-play-for-lakers-open-to-knicks/2014/05/17/

That source is just a little bias don't you think? And why in the world would he go to the Lakers if the reason that he is leaving the wolves is to become a contender?

Method28
05-18-2014, 12:23 AM

I'd say his value is as an expiring at the deadline (assuming no team is crazy enough to give him a multi year deal w/o the 2nd year being a team option)

jerellh528
05-18-2014, 12:32 AM
That source is just a little bias don't you think? And why in the world would he go to the Lakers if the reason that he is leaving the wolves is to become a contender?

The source doesn't matter when it's coming from loves camp

jerellh528
05-18-2014, 12:34 AM
I think you underestimate dantonis systems negative effect on gasol. He's never been athletic or a bruiser. His game is based on skill and he should be valuable player for 4 or 5 more years.

Trwood12
05-18-2014, 12:36 AM
The source doesn't matter when it's coming from loves camp

Allegedly

bleedprple&gold
05-18-2014, 12:50 AM

If I were the Lakers I'd hold out until hes a FA.

bleedprple&gold
05-18-2014, 12:52 AM

We have to find a way to get rid of Nash then. Not enough cap space for all 3.

mngopher35
05-18-2014, 01:30 AM
I thought we should have traded him earlier but that is because I never believed he wanted to stay here. Hopefully the reason he is still on the team is that we have reason to believe he might stay. Kahn really screwed us badly by not giving him the 5 year deal.

If he tells us or has told us he doesn't want to be here I think the Warriors make sense as a trade partner where he might be happy and we could hopefully get some value back. Hopefully he hasn't said this, but like I said I have always been skeptical.

P&GRealist
05-18-2014, 02:10 AM

Pau Gasol is a piece not to replace Kevin Love, but rather to pair up with Rubio on a cheaper deal. You can still be competitive with Pau, Rubio and Kmart.

P&GRealist
05-18-2014, 02:10 AM
We have to find a way to get rid of Nash then. Not enough cap space for all 3.

Read my earlier post. Nash, Pau (S&T at 8-9M/yr) and lotto pick for Love.

theGhost-isGone
05-18-2014, 02:18 AM
I'd be shocked if they traded him without trying to extend him. If they are calling teams actively trying to make a move before the draft, my darkhorse team would be Phoenix. If they feel they're as close as a K-Love they have the ammo and the cap space. The question would be compensation, 2 of their firsts would probably get the conversation started.

P&GRealist
05-18-2014, 02:22 AM
I'd be shocked if they traded him without trying to extend him. If they are calling teams actively trying to make a move before the draft, my darkhorse team would be Phoenix. If they feel they're as close as a K-Love they have the ammo and the cap space. The question would be compensation, 2 of their firsts would probably get the conversation started.

Kevin Love is not staying in Minnesota. Kahn dropped the ball when not offering the 5 yr max a few yrs back. It's over.

TheMightyHumph
05-18-2014, 02:25 AM
I think you underestimate dantonis systems negative effect on gasol. He's never been athletic or a bruiser. His game is based on skill and he should be valuable player for 4 or 5 more years.

4 or 5 more years you say. But Love fits into d'Antoni's system?

P&GRealist
05-18-2014, 02:26 AM
4 or 5 more years you say. But Love fits into d'Antoni's system?

Kevin Love fits into any system.

TheMightyHumph
05-18-2014, 02:29 AM

WOW!!!! You want to dump Nash on them also. That's gonna take 2 additional 1st rd picks from the Lakers.

TWolves are better off just letting Love walk after this season, or trading him for a 1st rdr to a contender in the East with capspace. Raptors, anyone?

P&GRealist
05-18-2014, 02:31 AM
WOW!!!! You want to dump Nash on them also. That's gonna take 2 additional 1st rd picks from the Lakers.

TWolves are better off just letting Love walk after this season, or trading him for a 1st rdr to a contender in the East with capspace. Raptors, anyone?

Fine, you can take our first round picks for 2024 & 2026 because we don't have any left the rest of the decade.

Bostonjorge
05-18-2014, 02:32 AM
Why would teams trade a lot for love when everyone knows he wants to go to a specific team? Howard wanted to play for a specific team and what did Orlando get for him? Teams don't want what happened to LA happen to them.

No way lakers trade top 3 pick away for love. Not that he's not worth it but lakers are that team everyone knows he wants to play for. We all seen what kobe can do with a elite big man like love.

mngopher35
05-18-2014, 02:39 AM
I think our first move will be to see what we can get for pekovic. If we can put a playoff team together we might try that and wait until the deadline to see what happens. I dunno though, it is really hard to tell our plan moving forward. I just don't know why we kept him at the deadline if our plan is to trade him.

Hawkeye15
05-18-2014, 03:29 AM
The Love rumors are going to be awesome the next year. They already are.

Let it play out. Is he leaving? Probably. But what the **** do the Lakers have to offer? Seriously nothing.

As a Wolves fan, its a perfect storm for us trying to keep him. The Lakers suck and are in transition, the Knicks suck, and in all reality, that 5th year might sway him.

That being said, there is an absolute reality he will leave. But to consider it a forgone conclusion is just you large market fans again assuming that small market teams are your farm system.

KnicksLover
05-18-2014, 04:02 AM
Why would anyone want to trade Parker, Embiid or Wiggins for Love? Love is a plan B. Those three still have potential to be a plan A.

KnicksLover
05-18-2014, 04:03 AM
I think our first move will be to see what we can get for pekovic. If we can put a playoff team together we might try that and wait until the deadline to see what happens. I dunno though, it is really hard to tell our plan moving forward. I just don't know why we kept him at the deadline if our plan is to trade him.

How long has that been in the works? 8 years?

Hawkeye15
05-18-2014, 04:09 AM
Why would anyone want to trade Parker, Embiid or Wiggins for Love? Love is a plan B. Those three still have potential to be a plan A.

I would not trade a top 7 player, age 25, for any pick in this draft. Period.

KnicksLover
05-18-2014, 04:12 AM
I would not trade a top 7 player, age 25, for any pick in this draft. Period.

not your decision

and i rather get 25% of the value than 0% when he leaves.

a top 10 player has to get their team to the playoffs. its a superstar league.

bleedprple&gold
05-18-2014, 04:32 AM

I know it's not a very attractive trade package for Love but the T-Wolves may have no choice if Love says he only wants to go to the Lakers then nobody will trade for him because he will just leave that team for the Lakers. And frankly if he says that they probably get nothing for him because the Lakers will wait till hes a free agent anyway. I dont see this situation ending well for the T-Wolves any way you look at but it happens. We lost Howard for nothing. Its part of the game. Cant force guys to stay with one team forever.

mngopher35
05-18-2014, 04:36 AM
How long has that been in the works? 8 years?

Under Flip (who drafted Dieng late, making Pek expendable), almost 1 full year. I am not saying it is the most likely thing ever but in one draft flip was able to find what could be a late gem in a weak draft, something khan could never do (he couldn't even get the top 4 picks right).

If we trade Pek and can get a real wing and get some depth we should be right there. Heck if we win some close games that would put us in the running alone. We have until the deadline to trade him so I am just saying it is a possibility. Like Hawk said the other teams aren't in a great position either so we don't necessarily have to rush it at this point. If we were going to I think we would have at this deadline. We will see.

lpdunks8
05-18-2014, 04:45 AM
Pau Gasol is a piece not to replace Kevin Love, but rather to pair up with Rubio on a cheaper deal. You can still be competitive with Pau, Rubio and Kmart.

Pau said that he only wants to play for the Lakers, Grizzlies, Spurs, or Bulls. Why would he agree to go to Minnesota?

The only thing that makes sense involving him is if Z-Bo opts into his $16M deal. Then; if Pau wants to play on a play-off team with his brother, he can agree to a S&T there. Z-Bo and the Lakers' pick goes to Minnesota, and Love goes to LAL.

Of course; I would want more if I'm Minnesota. Just a thought. We'll see what happens.

JPS
05-18-2014, 09:27 AM
He is worth less if you have cap space to just sign him. I think Minny is going to be very unhappy with the offers they get, and probably will have to take.

Red_Pill
05-18-2014, 10:12 AM

I'd rather have Thompson than Barnes, as do most other Twolves fans. But we'll gladly give you Barea.

Red_Pill
05-18-2014, 10:16 AM

So far, this is the best trade I've seen. Nash would be good for Rubio. And a lotto pick is nice so we can start to rebuild....again haha

theducksmuggler
05-18-2014, 10:46 AM
If im LA im not trading for him at all if he really wants to be a Laker then he and the Lakers should wait until 2015 they could add a top 10 pick in this draft then add Love in free agency while building their team/tanking again next year...if im the GM im taking the risk of losing out on him in FA then trading possibly 2 lottery picks then having nothing to build the team with

Dade County
05-18-2014, 11:02 AM

This should be the title of the thread.

jerellh528
05-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Lol, wolves have zero leverage so it would behoove them to not be so picky or they will lose him for nothing. And I doubt any team will give up much for a one year rental.

Shammyguy3
05-18-2014, 11:29 AM
Bulls would give up Boozer, Mirotic, and the 16th/19th picks in this year's draft without hesitation for Love

mngopher35
05-18-2014, 12:45 PM
Lol, wolves have zero leverage so it would behoove them to not be so picky or they will lose him for nothing. And I doubt any team will give up much for a one year rental.

Our one bit of leverage is that we can have a bidding war. Golden state, Bulls, Rockets are three options mentioned in the other thread that he would like with lakers and knicks as well (pheonix has interest but not sure he would want that and I doubt they give much if he doesn't). I agree with you that we can't be picky to the extent of saying no to everything though. As I said before I have always thought he would be leaving. We should have 2 more guaranteed years to try and build but Kahn screwed us over.

Hawkeye15
05-18-2014, 01:08 PM
not your decision

and i rather get 25% of the value than 0% when he leaves.

a top 10 player has to get their team to the playoffs. its a superstar league.

of course its not my decision. If I had any say, the Wolves would be better, not in this position, and Love would be locked up for an additional 2 years. Half this site could do a better job than what the Wolves FO has done since Love was drafted.