PDA

View Full Version : Judging from the A.C. Interview, do you think Sterling is cognitively competent?

JasonJohnHorn
05-17-2014, 12:21 AM
Charges of racism aside, it seems that watching the Anderson Cooper interviews that Donald Sterling is simply not cognitively capable of having a coherent conversation, let along running an NBA team. I realize many owners rely on the PBBO or their GM to handle basketball decisions, but it seems likes Sterling is frankly cognitively incompetent to run a team. I don't want to speculate as to whether or not this has something to do with dementia, or senility, or Alzheimer's, but it seemed clear to me that this guy is simply 'not there'.

Should this be a concern for other franchises? I know for instance that the owner of the Magic, Richard M. DeVos, Sr., is close to 90, and that other owners also getting up there in age (though many teams have a group of owners these days). Tom Benson is older than Sterling but a little younger than DeVos. Dr. Bus seemed to have a plan as he began to age (though his son doesn't seem as adept to basketball as his father was), but the Pistons' Bill Davidson didn't make similar provisions and the team was left in limbo for a couple of seasons before Davidson's widow sold the team.

Is this an issue that the NBA should be concerned with? I assume that the owners have support groups in place to handle most of the day-to-day operations, but it seems odd that some franchises may not have an ownership team that is truly capable of running a team.

Thoughts?

goingfor28
05-17-2014, 12:33 AM
I think he's ********. "The players love me"
What an idiot

P&GRealist
05-17-2014, 01:21 AM
It's all a ploy. He knows EXACTLY what he was saying. Trying to defer the attention to Magic and get it away from himself. Telling the general public and non basketball fans that may not be knowledgeable about the situation that he's a good dude.

It's all PR and what his lawyers are suggesting to him he say.

JEDean89
05-17-2014, 01:28 AM
^^^ no lawyer would ever tell sterling to say what he said, none. It has hurt him massively and would be one of the worst pr moves of all time. i think its sad because clearly the guy has gone senile or something and while i have no doubt that this reflects his views, he clearly has lost his ability to coherently think.

Tony_Starks
05-17-2014, 02:38 AM
He was competent enough to:

-deflect his racism towards the media

-deflect his racism toward Magic Johnson

-deflect his racism toward his mistress who "made me say those things"

-deflect into "Jews help their people.....blacks don't want to help each other"

He's demented but not in his cognitive functioning but in his rationale. He really feels that there's nothing wrong with the way he thinks. He also feels like blacks can sleep with you, make you money, but don't dare be seen around them. Some other folks felt that way in the early days.

Oh yeah he's very competent.

IKnowHoops
05-17-2014, 05:19 AM
He was competent enough to:

-deflect his racism towards the media

-deflect his racism toward Magic Johnson

-deflect his racism toward his mistress who "made me say those things"

-deflect into "Jews help their people.....blacks don't want to help each other"

He's demented but not in his cognitive functioning but in his rationale. He really feels that there's nothing wrong with the way he thinks. He also feels like blacks can sleep with you, make you money, but don't dare be seen around them. Some other folks felt that way in the early days.

Oh yeah he's very competent.

This.

He knows what he's trying to do, but he puts his foot in his mouth every other sentence. And he is very easy to see through. He's not very sharp at all. He's not competent.