PDA

View Full Version : How do the Clippers get better?

JasonJohnHorn
05-16-2014, 12:32 PM
After dropping a series to the Thunder, the Clippers will have to get better if they hope to content. But the question is how?

I think Deng is the best option at SF, but swinging a deal might be hard given that he's likely going to get 10mil per from somebody and the Clips don't have the cap space.

More consistent long-range shooters and better defenders on the wing sounds great. I'd love to see Tony Allen on the Clips.

Paul Pierce is a free agent, but I'm not sure he can put in the minuts required to help them contend next year.

I like their PG rotation, and the BG/DaJ combo in the frnt court is great, but depth there and a better SF/SG combo is needed.

Who do you think will help? Or is the CP3/BG/DaJ core just not good enough to go all the way?

P&GRealist
05-16-2014, 12:41 PM
DeAndre Jordan is crap. I don't know how else I can put it.

Matt Barnes is overrated. There is a reason he is a journeyman.

Blake Griffin STILL needs to work on his post moves, A LOT!!!!! It just seems like if he goes against a good post defender like Ibaka or Perkins, he's relegated to becoming a jump shooter or a guy that will face the basket, try to go iso, and contort his body awkwardly to get a shot off in the paint and expect to be acrobatic and make the shot or get the foul call.

BLAKE also needs to learn that he has to be a consistent double double machine. He needs to get 12 boards a game. Period! 7 or 8 rebounds while expecting DeAndre to clean up the rest of the mess just doesn't cut it when you are a superstar and the franchise player.

They need to get rid of the dead overweight trash on their team like the Jared Dudleys and the stinkers at the end of the Clipper bench.

Chris Paul should just rest this summer.

But if there was any season to really take advantage and maybe win it all, it was this yr.

D-Leethal
05-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Blake needs to take another step and become more of a guy you can run offense through in the post, he needs a few more moves and counter moves to require double teams, DJ needs to go from freakish athlete to positional defensive maestro ala Tyson Chandlers development through his career. They have enough talent, shooting, scorers, depth. They don't need to add anyone - your always gonna need role players like Barnes and shooters like Reddick. You don't want to stack all stars from head to toe but they need to grow from within - mostly Blake and DJ.

Soonerule
05-16-2014, 01:57 PM
First off, congrats to the Clippers for another good year.

Personally, I don't think the Clippers are too far away from being were they want to be. They have a GREAT point guard and they have a player in Blake Griffin that has not come close to hitting his peak. As P&G pointed out, he has some work to do but it is clear to me, considering where he was when he came out of Oklahoma and where he is now, he is willing to put in the effort to get there. Look at his improvement at both the free throw line and hitting that 15 to 18 foot jumper. With the way he can handle the ball, I could see him using that jumper to help him get easier shots at the rim if he develops a strong crossover.

I do agree they do need to try to get some more quality depth on their bench.

But I think their final steps will be more subtle. First is free throws.

They lost by 6 last night and missed 13 free throws, they lost in game 5 by 1 and missed 5 free throws. Jordan either learns to make a free throw or he has got to go. I know it's old school and not very flashy, but if the Clippers make free throws the last 2 games, they are gearing up for the Spurs and the Thunder is making summer vacation plans. Kendrick Perkins, perfect example. First year he is used as a regular in Boston he shoots 64% from the line. His average dropped every single year for 8 straight years afterward. I mean, HOW can you call yourself a professional and NOT improve as a free throw shooter. Answer, get lazy, quit practicing them. Perk focused one summer after coming to OKC to 1. lose weight and 2. work on his free throws and came back and had his best season as a pro, 65%. Been dropping ever since :rolleyes:

Second, controlling their emotions.

I found it ironic when asked in an interview, Doc said the one thing he noticed as much as anything else when he took over this team was a tendency to lose focus and stop playing after a call they didn't like. I found it ironic because when Doc got put to the test in game 5, whether you agree with the refs call or not, he blew a fuse and totally lost his mind. I'm a big fan of Doc's, but he raged after the review, he raged during the free throws, but worse he raged and chased the refs around through most of the time out after the free throws. He can't do that, his team had 6.3 seconds left on the clock, the ball, and a timeout. That's an eternity in the NBA. All he did was feed the demon he had seen on film before he took the job. It's Russell Westbrooks' primary weakness. If he ever learns to channel his emotions, the sky is the limit for that kid. But I digress.

Doc's job at that point is to calm down and go into that critical time out like the Clippers are in complete control, we got 'em right where we want 'em, called the play and spent the rest of the timeout telling his guys why they were going to win and make them believe it.

He may have called a play, but that's the easy part. His job was to get his team as mentally prepared to execute in that last 6.3 seconds as possible, he didn't. He just made things worse. The Bible says you can only serve one master and that team's master was anger and resentment, not focus. I'm not sure, after reading that Doc defended his actions in game 5, that he ever got his team past it. They came out on fire, but anger and resentment will only carry you so far.

So that's it, add a little depth, work on their free throws and learn to focus their emotions. Do that and this team is going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Chronz
05-16-2014, 02:04 PM
They are fine as is, they could have won the series had CP3/Doc not been so uncharacteristically unclutch. Maybe not win but at least push it to 7 and then who knows.

You obviously look to improve the roster if you can but I would be absolutely satisfied if we got to at least keep this crew in tact, but I would understand if some of them wanted to bail given recent events.

There are offensive improvements that can be made but the Clips downside is always their inability to defend consistently. That side of the ball has been a constant work in progress but Blake and DJ are making those leaps each year. Thats why Im all for keeping them together, I would only bail on that combo if that progression halts. Im getting vibes of how Duncan+Splitter eventually emerged to form a solid partnership but Tiago is a much smarter player so I might be a homer on that one.

So if we retain the CP3+Blake+DJ trio, that means the needs around those were the same as they were when they cashed in on Bledsoe. The biggest downfall this year was what a bust Dudley turned out to be, he was supposed to be our version of Shane Battier, intangible gap filler and competent team defender, without him we basically just swapped him for Reddick. Which isn't bad but we were looking to shore up 2 starting positions with that move, if we were only going to shore up a single position then the move with Orlando for Afflalo would have been best.

If Im Doc, I get one of my underlings to send feelers to Orlando, see if they want Reddick/Crawford for AA or some one. Its our only way to get some decency of size+footspeed on the perimeter (outside of Matt Barnes). If you look at our roster, basically all of our players outside of DJ are undersized. So its glaringly obvious we need at least one more athlete worth of minutes.

CP3 should not be having to guard Westbrook, Butler AND KD under any circumstance. Its amazing how underrated his defense can be, he was doing a great job individually, Westbrook basically abused Collison, Jamal Crawford was getting posted by Caron Butler at will, Durant was getting to his spots too easily in another game, CP3 basically came in and help put the clamps on at various points. The need of an athletic 2 are so clear to me, every contender has several swings it can just throw at the opposition. Memphis made a big jump just by adding Courtney Lee, just a guy that can play competently on both ends helps. That way, when teams sick their bigger defenders on CP3, the Clips can respond in kind to their playmaker.

Chronz
05-16-2014, 02:12 PM
Guys entering their prime and likely to improve
Blake/DJ, Bullock

Guys who are in their "prime" and not expected to get significantly better/worse
CP3, Reddick, Collison

Guys who are likely on the downside of their primes
Barnes, Davis, Granger, Dudley

Dont know where to throw Crawford, hes clearly declining but Im hoping his game has another year of bounce. Mainly because I dont think we can trade him but also because hes a great regular season piece. I just wish we wouldn't rely so much on him come playoffs.

I really hope KG gets bought out so he and Pierce can come to our bench, but thats been a pipedream for 3 years now.

Greet
05-16-2014, 02:25 PM
I think the Clips defiantly need more depth in the PF/C slot. As you said Chronz, adding a guy like KG would be marvelous. Someone that could anchor the second units defense.

JasonJohnHorn
05-16-2014, 02:39 PM
Great analysis from Chronz and Soonerule! Thanks guys!

Vinylman
05-16-2014, 02:46 PM
How are they gonna add to the roster without giving something up?

They have $68.8 million under contact next year in just 8 guys which also assumes collison / davis opt out and Green isn't picked up...

Do they even get the full MLE for next season?

kobe4thewinbang
05-16-2014, 03:04 PM
DeAndre Jordan needs to shoot better at the free throw line. He has games where I get flat out impressed, and others where he gets into foul trouble and simply is a liability because of his free throw shooting.

A player like Deng might help the Clippers, who had injury problems this year with their bench. I think they do need to take a 'less is more' approach next season and try to run with one or two solid bench contributors rather than 5 streaky guys.

The Danny Granger trade obviously did not pan out, which is funny because I bet Indy wishes they'd never made it now. But by getting a guy like Paul Pierce, he's going to need the ball a lot. I guess that isn't entirely bad, given that Crawford only shot 5 times in Game 6 (which is insane to me, he should shoot at least 10 times). Guys like Westbrook love to shoot, and they overdo it a lot, but at least they're shooting, ya know?

I think the main problem is they have no solid shooting guard and they need better defense (like a Kawhi Leonard or Tony Allen). I see them trading for a guy like that whose defense isn't saving other crappy teams out there. All this aside, Chris Paul needs to stop the flopping BS because it cost them a pivotal game.

cmellofan15
05-16-2014, 03:08 PM
since there are already good posts in the thread, I'm gonna take the low road and say pay the refs

D-Leethal
05-16-2014, 03:15 PM
Blake needs to take another step and become more of a guy you can run offense through in the post, he needs a few more moves and counter moves to require double teams, DJ needs to go from freakish athlete to positional defensive maestro ala Tyson Chandlers development through his career. They have enough talent, shooting, scorers, depth. They don't need to add anyone - your always gonna need role players like Barnes and shooters like Reddick. You don't want to stack all stars from head to toe but they need to grow from within - mostly Blake and DJ. Blake took major strides this year but needs to enhance his skillset instead of simply enhancing his production. Pretty stats don't win you games - having enough versatility to continuously put pressure on the defense does.

P&GRealist
05-16-2014, 03:17 PM
DeAndre Jordan needs to shoot better at the free throw line. He has games where I get flat out impressed, and others where he gets into foul trouble and simply is a liability because of his free throw shooting.

A player like Deng might help the Clippers, who had injury problems this year with their bench. I think they do need to take a 'less is more' approach next season and try to run with one or two solid bench contributors rather than 5 streaky guys.

The Danny Granger trade obviously did not pan out, which is funny because I bet Indy wishes they'd never made it now. But by getting a guy like Paul Pierce, he's going to need the ball a lot. I guess that isn't entirely bad, given that Crawford only shot 5 times in Game 6 (which is insane to me, he should shoot at least 10 times). Guys like Westbrook love to shoot, and they overdo it a lot, but at least they're shooting, ya know?

I think the main problem is they have no solid shooting guard and they need better defense (like a Kawhi Leonard or Tony Allen). I see them trading for a guy like that whose defense isn't saving other crappy teams out there. All this aside, Chris Paul needs to stop the flopping BS because it cost them a pivotal game.

Danny Granger got traded from the Pacers to the Sixers, got bought out by Philly, and then signed on with the Clippers.

numba1CHANGsta
05-16-2014, 03:20 PM
I have this feeling that Doc Rivers is going to recruit Paul Pierce to come to the Clippers. I don't see Jordan getting traded, BUT the biggest need for them is backup bigs, they had zero legit backups. Baby Davis sucks lol

Bostonjorge
05-16-2014, 03:24 PM
Trevor Ariza is the missing piece. He's a free agent next year.

P&GRealist
05-16-2014, 03:26 PM

He doesn't want the MLE. Dude is gonna look for where the $$$ is. It'll most likely be his last real good contract. Look for him to ask around the $7-8M per yr AT LEAST. And I'm sure the Wizards will lock him up as they can offer him the most. I'm sure they want to keep the core together with a better bench moving forward.

nickdymez
05-16-2014, 03:33 PM
Ariza would be nice for them. But their team is fine. They just lost. Deandre Jordan is what he is, a defensive weapon. Blake did great this series. Maybe a more legit 2 would help. Let Grainger start at the 3 over Barnes

Vinylman
05-16-2014, 04:16 PM

and how will they sign him?

king4day
05-16-2014, 05:00 PM
Paul Pierce may be the most realistic option. He can still ball and doesn't need to be counted on as much as he was in Brooklyn.

Deng is certainly a solid option too but they'll need a sign and trade and I don't think they have enough to give back.

Vinylman
05-16-2014, 05:12 PM
Paul Pierce may be the most realistic option. He can still ball and doesn't need to be counted on as much as he was in Brooklyn.

Deng is certainly a solid option too but they'll need a sign and trade and I don't think they have enough to give back.

Pierce is a degenerate gambler... i doubt he gives anyone a discount for his services

Method28
05-16-2014, 06:50 PM

Pierce is a degenerate gambler... i doubt he gives anyone a discount for his services

Maybe he gambles on a chance to win a title

Vinylman
05-16-2014, 06:55 PM
Maybe he gambles on a chance to win a title

He is gonna need the money... he will be broke 5 years after being out of the league...

Seriously, I have first hand knowledge of his last 3 off season Poker performances... not all star level

Chronz
05-17-2014, 12:03 AM

Bingo, but I think the guy is looking to get paid this year.

Kaner
05-17-2014, 01:16 AM
I think the clippers are just reaffirming what I've thought for a couple years and that is you can't win a championship with your pg as your best player. Chris Paul is amazing and if he can't carry a team as talented as the clippers to a championship then it seems unlikely that it ever will. So I guess my answer would be either trade CP3 ( very unlikely but maybe harden? Although that is probably a step back) or Blake Griffin needs to raise his game to the next level.

Chronz
05-17-2014, 03:40 AM
I think the clippers are just reaffirming what I've thought for a couple years and that is you can't win a championship with your pg as your best player. Chris Paul is amazing and if he can't carry a team as talented as the clippers to a championship then it seems unlikely that it ever will. So I guess my answer would be either trade CP3 ( very unlikely but maybe harden? Although that is probably a step back) or Blake Griffin needs to raise his game to the next level.

You can win with anyone as your best player if your team defense is good enough. Its harder for PG's to win when they cant impact defense that much, tho CP3 is certainly a pest on that end as well.

shep33
05-17-2014, 03:56 AM
I'd bet anything that Pierce is on the Clips next year. No chance at Ariza, I think. Dude just put in a great "contract year" performance.

shep33
05-17-2014, 04:06 AM
Biggest problem is that I think the Thunder can get a lot better next year, which would impede the Clips. KD, Russy Ibaka, etc. all get better. Then if they dump Perkins, plus don't pick up Thabo, Thabeet, etc. wouldn't they have enough for an MLE?

Then the Rox, Dubs, etc. will all be better too. The Spurs can also upgrade their roster.

Basically the West is hell. Going to be tough for the Clips (as well as other West teams) to make it to the finals.

I do think CP3 only has 1-2 years of greatness left too, so time is of the essence. They should trade Redick for a wing defender.

IKnowHoops
05-17-2014, 09:52 AM
since there are already good posts in the thread, I'm gonna take the low road and say pay the refs

Me too.

Trade CP3 for Lebron

IKnowHoops
05-17-2014, 09:56 AM

Isaiah Thomas? Obviously Magic but I know your not counting him because he is 6'9 and basically can play every position.

Tony Parker?

kingsdelez24
05-17-2014, 11:03 AM
Ariza would be nice for them. But their team is fine. They just lost. Deandre Jordan is what he is, a defensive weapon. Blake did great this series. Maybe a more legit 2 would help. Let Grainger start at the 3 over Barnes

Granger is literally too frail to start. Unless his overall conditioning and health recovers from last year, then he should start

Vinylman
05-17-2014, 02:40 PM
Biggest problem is that I think the Thunder can get a lot better next year, which would impede the Clips. KD, Russy Ibaka, etc. all get better. Then if they dump Perkins, plus don't pick up Thabo, Thabeet, etc. wouldn't they have enough for an MLE?

Then the Rox, Dubs, etc. will all be better too. The Spurs can also upgrade their roster.

Basically the West is hell. Going to be tough for the Clips (as well as other West teams) to make it to the finals.

I do think CP3 only has 1-2 years of greatness left too, so time is of the essence. They should trade Redick for a wing defender.

Their crossroads year is after next year because they will have to make a decision to either reup Deandre Jordan for about the same amount or let him go... if they don't reup him they still won't have a lot of cap because of reddick and dudley's deals...

The clippers need significant growth from both Griffin and Deandre along with hitting the lottery on a defensive 3 who will take a sub-market deal

Don't see it happening

SilverFalco8
05-17-2014, 02:42 PM
Bingo, but I think the guy is looking to get paid this year.

Where do you think Ariza will go? Will the Wizards give him up?

Crackadalic
05-17-2014, 03:14 PM
In all honestly the defense needs to get better as a whole.

I think the clippers have more talent then docs celtics teams but they knew how to lock down and play every possession like it's their last

It was just a lot of dumb mistakes that can easily be fix up

Now if they can get a wing defender then they have a better shot next year

ATX
05-17-2014, 03:24 PM
I think the Clippers will be better next year with Sterling gone as a motivation of sorts, plus another year under Doc to get their schemes, rhythm and chemistry down better will be beneficial. I'm not sure of their cap situation, but defense would be an area to upgrade and Deng could be a nice fit in the starting rotation.

Kaner
05-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Isaiah Thomas? Obviously Magic but I know your not counting him because he is 6'9 and basically can play every position.

Tony Parker?

Isiah, Parker, and Billups were not indisputably the best players on their team and none of them were superstars when they won.

flea
05-17-2014, 04:01 PM
A lot hinges on the development of Blake - and where have we heard this story before? At some point the Clips may have to realize that Griffin is what he is. It'd be nice if his D was better, if he didn't still shoot bricks, or if he had any credible back-to-the-basket game. But waiting on him to improve those things is costing the Clips competitive years.

If I were the GM I think Deng is a great place to start. Collison and Crawford are nice, but when you have CP3 dominating the ball so much you're sort of hurting yourself defensively with both of them playing so many minutes.

Kaner
05-17-2014, 04:07 PM
You can win with anyone as your best player if your team defense is good enough. Its harder for PG's to win when they cant impact defense that much, tho CP3 is certainly a pest on that end as well.

I think the pg is just so historically unsuccessful as the superstar of a team and so I don't think a pg can carry in the same sense that a elite wing or big can. Of course a good enough team ala Pistons or Spurs have won before but those teams have been more like 10 elite role players who the best of whom may just happens to be a pg.

MagicBucsSox
05-17-2014, 04:44 PM
They need a driving SG, and a defensive big from the bench to replace Jordan late game.

JC_
05-17-2014, 04:54 PM
I think lack of maturity is their biggest weakness right now. Not being able to keep calm in tense situations will destroy you, especially in the West. They have a ton of talent on that team but they are just too volatile at times. Hopefully their experience this year helps them toughen up a bit mentally.

Method28
05-17-2014, 05:21 PM
A lot hinges on the development of Blake - and where have we heard this story before? At some point the Clips may have to realize that Griffin is what he is. It'd be nice if his D was better, if he didn't still shoot bricks, or if he had any credible back-to-the-basket game. But waiting on him to improve those things is costing the Clips competitive years.

If I were the GM I think Deng is a great place to start. Collison and Crawford are nice, but when you have CP3 dominating the ball so much you're sort of hurting yourself defensively with both of them playing so many minutes.

Blake has improved his game tremendously. His jumper is getting more and more consistent and he raised his ft% to 72% this year. That's respectable. He'll continue to grow.

In the thunder series he also showed some potential as a shot blocker. Which you'd think would come with his leaping ability. He does have short arms though.

slashsnake
05-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Isiah, Parker, and Billups were not indisputably the best players on their team and none of them were superstars when they won.

Isiah would be the closest in my opinion.

But the thing you notice with Isiah, Parker, and Billups... Those three played for arguably the three best defensive teams of the past 30 years. Can throw in 90s bulls and Knicks, Eaton's Jazz, Celtics for a little while when Garnett showed up.

MagicBucsSox
05-17-2014, 06:09 PM
They should've played big baby more.

IversonIsKrazy
05-17-2014, 06:43 PM
Blake & DJ will keep improving, but they defs need a legit SF who can guard and shoot the 3. Barnes/Granger combo is horrible

Avenged
05-17-2014, 07:19 PM
What else can they do? They have enough. Or more. They need to execute consistently.

lukass
05-17-2014, 08:47 PM
Get some defense at SF/SG and bench

xxplayerxx23
05-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Sign Paul pierce and bring some big man depth.

Method28
05-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Sign Paul pierce and bring some big man depth.

I think that might make us worse lol the pierce signing that is.

Chronz
05-17-2014, 09:24 PM

how come

Chronz
05-17-2014, 09:35 PM
At some point? You speak as if we havent seen a steadily improving player in Blake. Blake is matchup dependent, he struggles with length (what else is new) but hes asserted himself more than ever against inferior athletes. If we get the right matchups, Blake will toast them (Like say we make the Finals, Miami cant guard him and CP3) and I think Blake will become a more consistent playoff producer.

Theres always a trade off, but the beauty about Crawford, CP3 and Collison is that they can all play off the ball in stretches, managing those stretches is tricky. But yes, Deng would be an upgrade simply because of what he could bring defensively, I just think hes looked burnt out the last few years.

Chronz
05-17-2014, 09:38 PM
I think the pg is just so historically unsuccessful as the superstar of a team and so I don't think a pg can carry in the same sense that a elite wing or big can. Of course a good enough team ala Pistons or Spurs have won before but those teams have been more like 10 elite role players who the best of whom may just happens to be a pg.

Its more about the ability of said PG than what position he plays , its abit circular so we're kind of in agreement here. However, I think it can be done, its just such a short window to get it done with the historical comps I can think of. CP3 on the Pistons instead of Chauncey and they dominate just the same if not more, and somehow hes a better player for it.

Method28
05-17-2014, 09:55 PM

how come

I feel he is too ball dominant at times and doesn't play a lick of D. He doesn't fit into our quick paced. He does add a different dimension as far as a wing with a good post game, however, I just feel he's not that missing piece.

Jarvo
05-17-2014, 11:40 PM
Bench depth all they need imo and a upgrade at SF or SG.

THE MTL
05-18-2014, 12:12 AM
TIME. Championship teams arent made overnight. CP3 has only been on the team for 2 years. You dont panic and stay intact. Look at the Spurs throughout the years, they have maintained that core eventhough it looked like they were finished back in 2009. The Spurs were about 1 minute away from winning the chip last year and look like the favorites this season.

astonmartin10
05-18-2014, 05:20 AM
Boy was Dudley a bust. They need a guy like Ariza that can defend and play offense.

The backup big man are undersized and they need a backup big.

5ass
05-18-2014, 07:47 AM
Bullock, Dudley, this year's 1st and a future 1st for Afflalo.

waveycrockett
05-18-2014, 10:27 AM
They definitely need another athletic SF who can shoot. Barnes is good but he can not be playing 30+ minutes a game. Paul Pierce makes no sense for them especially when your trying to build a team to stop Durant and OKC. PP is slow and best suited as an undersized PF.

flea
05-18-2014, 02:17 PM
At some point? You speak as if we havent seen a steadily improving player in Blake. Blake is matchup dependent, he struggles with length (what else is new) but hes asserted himself more than ever against inferior athletes. If we get the right matchups, Blake will toast them (Like say we make the Finals, Miami cant guard him and CP3) and I think Blake will become a more consistent playoff producer.

Yeah he had the best season of his career but the problems that he's always had are what held him back against the Thunder. Too often he'd try to drive into traffic when it wasn't there, would pass up open J's because even he is unsure of his shot, and was generally off of his half-court game. He looks like one of the PFs, of which there are many in the league, where if you play physically and take away his driving game he can't do very much except hope his brick J's start falling (Z-Bo, Bosh, etc.).

I agree with Paul when he said Blake has got to be a top 5-10 player if the Clips are going to win it all. To me he looked basically lost in a lot of the halfcourt D. Maybe he's more comfortable closer to the basket on D so he can hunt out blocks, but that's a bad habit to get into when all you really want him to do is play disciplined defense.

nastynice
05-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Honestly feel like the clippers COULD have gone all the way this year. They just lost to okc, not necessarily because they're the worse team, but because all these series in the west are almost coin flips. The teams are all just so good, so even, one team moves on and one team stays, that's just what it is. They could've just as easily lost to golden state, and they could have just as easily won against the thunder. I mean the difference of a 2-3 min stretch of playing good ball vs bad ball, or a handful of plays being executed better, is honestly the difference between winning a 7 game series and losing a 7 game series starting from round 1.

Really, all these teams in the west, none of the top 8 need to, or even should, be looking to make a big splash. All they gotta do is tweak the rosters, look for depth, and hope they hit stride at the right time. Clippers especially, they are really well built, imo griffin is seriously solidfying his spot as 3rd best player in the league.

Meaze_Gibson
05-18-2014, 02:48 PM

Lets not get carried away. Dumars played well but Isiah was always the undisputed best player on the team. He took them to NBA finals three years in a row and was an injury away from a possible three peat. 1990 playoffs he averaged 20pts 8 ast, 5 rebounds and 2 steals along with 47% shooting from the field and 40% from three. Those are superstar numbers.

but back to topic. Clippers should keep dj he made great strides. Need to get doc a shrink cause he blew it this past season. need a post player off bench though for easy buckets with second unit. If boozer is amnestied he'd fit perfectly. and they need a 3,

ewing
05-19-2014, 10:34 AM
Well, they beat very good team in the playoffs this year and lost to a very very good team in a super tight series so they certainly don't need to panic. This team is really good. I'd like to see Blake work better without the ball. He seems to lack some timing on pick and roll/backcut type situations. I also think he should relay on his power and offensive rebounding skills in the half court instead trying these dream shake and spin moves in the post. I also think CP3 would be even better and open the floor up even more if he would focus a little more on getting all the way to the cup.

As far as adding pieces. Some size off the bench and backup 3 that can shoot it and defend a couple spots would be nice.

Chronz
05-19-2014, 01:30 PM
I feel he is too ball dominant at times and doesn't play a lick of D. He doesn't fit into our quick paced. He does add a different dimension as far as a wing with a good post game, however, I just feel he's not that missing piece.

Well cant that be a good thing? We need someone who can take the pressure off CP3/Blake, Jamal Crawford has been good in spurts but hes the definition of a regular season player.

Besides, I think you underrate Pierces versatility, hes played alongside THE most ball reliant PG ever in Rondo, and hes played well off star bigs throughout his career, so if he has ANYTHING left in the tank, you would be wrong to think we couldn't use that more than a chucker who cant defend. Pierce is slow footed but hes an excellent team defender.

Chronz
05-19-2014, 01:46 PM
They definitely need another athletic SF who can shoot. Barnes is good but he can not be playing 30+ minutes a game. Paul Pierce makes no sense for them especially when your trying to build a team to stop Durant and OKC. PP is slow and best suited as an undersized PF.

We have a need for everything Pierce brings. Our small ball 4 last year was Hedo Turkoglu for **** sake, and we actually missed his presence in the 2nd unit these playoffs. Pierce would be a great luxury but I agree, there are more pressing needs, thing is, it would be pointless to try and address those. Without perfect drafting, its hard to have a do it all team, so I think Pierce should be our primary target because hes a realistic option. Deng would be the ideal get.

Chronz
05-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Yeah he had the best season of his career but the problems that he's always had are what held him back against the Thunder. Too often he'd try to drive into traffic when it wasn't there, would pass up open J's because even he is unsure of his shot, and was generally off of his half-court game. He looks like one of the PFs, of which there are many in the league, where if you play physically and take away his driving game he can't do very much except hope his brick J's start falling (Z-Bo, Bosh, etc.).
Hes a brute tho, he has no problem driving into traffic and making tough shots, this time 2 years ago, even a year ago, there was no chance of his asserting himself like he has. So the point remains, hes IMPROVED, and hes continued improving, particularly defensively, I really feel you have to have seen this guy coming up to know how laughably bad his defense was coming in. That hes only a matchup based liability instead of an inept defender is huge for us.

I agree with Paul when he said Blake has got to be a top 5-10 player if the Clips are going to win it all. To me he looked basically lost in a lot of the halfcourt D. Maybe he's more comfortable closer to the basket on D so he can hunt out blocks, but that's a bad habit to get into when all you really want him to do is play disciplined defense.

It should go without saying that the better your teammates become, the better your chances are for winning but I dont know what you mean with his blocks thing. Are you suggesting hes declined defensively? LOL I sure hope not.

flea
05-19-2014, 01:56 PM
It should go without saying that the better your teammates become, the better your chances are for winning but I dont know what you mean with his blocks thing. Are you suggesting hes declined defensively? LOL I sure hope not.

I meant that he looked like he was getting caught in no-man's land a lot while guarding Ibaka, who operates away from the paint a lot. Especially on the weak side, he looked unsure of whether he should move over to help or stay close to his man. I didn't mean that he declined, just that he didn't really know what to do when he couldn't just stand around in the paint.

Chronz
05-19-2014, 02:03 PM
he'll get there

RocketsWin2013
05-19-2014, 02:04 PM
Blake Griffin and getting better should do it. LAC should always be able to stash good role players. Paul Pierce this off-season and Blake Griffin taking that true leap to an elite player should make them the favorite out west.

Seahawker562
05-19-2014, 03:26 PM
Cut DJ and Barnes, sign replacements and free up cap space.

Vinylman
05-19-2014, 04:46 PM
TIME. Championship teams arent made overnight. CP3 has only been on the team for 2 years. You dont panic and stay intact. Look at the Spurs throughout the years, they have maintained that core eventhough it looked like they were finished back in 2009. The Spurs were about 1 minute away from winning the chip last year and look like the favorites this season.

3 years on the clippers not 2 ... and please do not compare the spurs situation to the clippers... there are zero similarities

MTar786
05-19-2014, 05:05 PM
this is the formula.

+luol deng (somehow)
+paul pierce
+KG (as a filler)
+ brandon bass (somehow)

-dudley
-either granger or barnes
-hollins
-davis

obviously making all of this happen would be almost impossible. so i say they prioritize getting deng. then pay attention to getting paul pierce for maybe vet min. and work a trade out that includes barns or granger along with dudley and davis for bass and whatever.

torocan
05-19-2014, 05:15 PM
I think they just need continuity.

Their younger players should continue to get better. Another training camp and season playing under Doc Rivers should help them improve on both ends as well. It would also help if you didn't have your douche of an owner involved in an international media controversy and distracting the team.

Maybe some tinkering around the edges, but I really think they just need more time to put it all together.

slashsnake
05-19-2014, 05:55 PM
I think just time for the most part. Blake and Jordan really showed improvement this year.. Doc now has a full year to go over what worked and what didn't. Redick gets an off-season with the team. They had a lot of rotating vets trying to find a fit. Glen Davis, Stephen Jackson, Vujacik, Hollins, Granger, Jameson, Turk...

They made the 2nd round against a 59 win team and played them very close (less than 1 pt per game separated the two teams). They play next season like they played at the end of this past one and they probably are a top 2 seed in the west.

Vinylman
05-19-2014, 06:21 PM
Its so funny watching people say that there is only upside to this team while they completely ignore that the team was healthy in the playoffs... doubt that happens again next year...

bottom line... they need to sacrifice scoring for defense... how they get that done with their cap situation and a FO in disarray will be a challenge to say the least...