PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Western Conference Finals: San Antonio Spurs(1) vs Oklahoma City Thunder(2)-Who?

P&GRealist
05-16-2014, 02:17 AM
Who wins and in how many games.

The San Antonio Spurs: #1 seed, defending Western Conference Champion and best record in the West and NBA Overall.

The Oklahoma City Thunder: Made the finals 2 yrs ago.

Red_Pill
05-16-2014, 02:34 AM
Tough call. I honestly have no idea who will win this series, but I think it goes at least 6. If KD and Westbrook play well and get help from the role players, it's hard for anyone to stop them.

SPURSFAN1
05-16-2014, 03:08 AM
Spurs in 5. Spurs play really good defense on OKC.

Bostonjorge
05-16-2014, 03:08 AM
Okc in 6 or 7. Okc going to look strong going into the finals by beating San Antonio.

Red_Pill
05-16-2014, 03:33 AM

And apparently, at 4-0 during the season, the Thunder play better offense :p

I think it'll be more competitive than 5 games, but Spurs are definitely the favorites going in.

SPURSFAN1
05-16-2014, 03:36 AM

I think it'll be more competitive than 5 games, but Spurs are definitely the favorites going in.

Did you just bring up the reg reason? hahahahaah we swept the mavs and that went 7 games. I think we went 2vs2 vs blazers and that went 5 games. Can we keep the reg season out of this. Oh and the nets swept the heat. How'd that go?

goku
05-16-2014, 03:50 AM
hmmm last time they played the thunder had Harden and they won in 6 should be interesting to see what happens this time around thunder 7

P&GRealist
05-16-2014, 04:27 AM
hmmm last time they played the thunder had Harden and they won in 6 should be interesting to see what happens this time around thunder 7

Reggie Jackson is really coming into his own as that consistent 3rd option off the bench to Durant and Westbrook. I also see OKC prevailing in 7.

Iron24th
05-16-2014, 04:28 AM
Did you just bring up the reg reason? hahahahaah we swept the mavs and that went 7 games. I think we went 2vs2 vs blazers and that went 5 games. Can we keep the reg season out of this. Oh and the nets swept the heat. How'd that go?

I'm rooting for the spurs in this series, but don't get ahead of yourself man, this series will go trough 6 games at least.

mngopher35
05-16-2014, 04:34 AM
I will say Thunder in 7 as well. Tomorrow I will probably think the Spurs will win though. Should be a great match up. I wonder if Khawi will be able to slow down durant? Who stops Westbrook? Should be fun to watch, I love the team ball the Spurs play.

NBA-GMaster
05-16-2014, 04:41 AM
Spurs and Thunder want some rematch from the HEAT.. Westbrook and Durant may be superior players in this series but teamplay, coach and bench players edges Spurs..

Big problem for the Spurs: Leonard will be having a tough job guarding the MVP and I dont think Parker and Mills can guard Westbrook..
Big problem for the Thunder: Durant and Westbrook doesnt co-exist on a play, plus Spurs have many options on scoring..

Method28
05-16-2014, 05:10 AM

Would love to go for the Spurs but this guy above kept coming in talking non sense on the Clips so **** the Spurs. Hope durant shoves it down their throat....Texas style

jerellh528
05-16-2014, 05:17 AM
6 or 7 game series.
No idea who wins... Heart says Okc because of durant, but head says spurs because of pop.

torocan
05-16-2014, 07:04 AM
I think this is pretty close to a coin flip series. The Spurs are a better "team" than OKC, but OKC presents match up problems due to their length, athleticism and Durant.

I'll say Spurs in 7 since I think the Spurs are more motivated and have HCA.

KnicksorBust
05-16-2014, 08:51 AM
I would have said Spurs but after the way the Durant MVP speech has galvanized that team now I have no clue. I'm even starting to question my long-held beliefs about Westbrook.

mightybosstone
05-16-2014, 09:59 AM
The Spurs are the better basketball team, but we all know that the NBA playoffs are about the matchups and the Thunder are the one team the Spurs did not want to see in the WCF. I think this series will resemble the Clippers/OKC series. San Antonio will outplay the Thunder for a lot of the games only to be outplayed in the fourth quarter by the Thunder's superior stars and athleticism.

It will go 6 or 7, but the Thunder will ultimately prevail.

ManRam
05-16-2014, 10:02 AM
Sticking with OKC. Durant and Westbrook are just too good. I always overlook SAS, so I fully expect them to actually win.

mightybosstone
05-16-2014, 10:02 AM

I don't know how you can predict this when the Thunder so thoroughly dominated the Spurs in the regular season AND when the Spurs lost to the Thunder in 6 when these two teams met two years ago in the WCF. I could understand a prediction of San Antonio in 6 or 7, but 5? That's a little ridiculous.

EL_MACHETE
05-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Go Okc!

We beat two really tough teams.. two more teams to go. Let's go Thunder

Jarvo
05-16-2014, 10:35 AM
Spurs in 6, I haven't forgot about that WCF in 2012 and Harden flopping all over the got damn place.

Avenged
05-16-2014, 11:35 AM
Spurs. I want to say 5 but we all know that isn't going to happen for whatever circumstances..

Dade County
05-16-2014, 11:43 AM
OKC takes this series.

kdspurman
05-16-2014, 11:48 AM
I don't know how you can predict this when the Thunder so thoroughly dominated the Spurs in the regular season AND when the Spurs lost to the Thunder in 6 when these two teams met two years ago in the WCF. I could understand a prediction of San Antonio in 6 or 7, but 5? That's a little ridiculous.

5 is definitely ridiculous IMO. But again, the regular season is different and can't be used for this kind of argument. I'm fairly certain Leonard missed 2-3 of those games. Both teams were only full strength during their first matchup in which OKC won by 6 I think. So when you say thoroughly dominated, you have to consider the other variables. I am also fairly certain 2 or 3 of those games were B2B games for the Spurs. Many ignore these circumstances (Most analysts & "Experts" included) but they need to be considered. Especially as we saw with Mia/Bk

As for 2012, all I can say is the teams have changed since then. Maybe not as much personnel-wise, but development, philosophies, chemistry trust, etc... I am concerned with this match up, I won't lie. For several reasons. But I feel like Pop has had adequate time to figure out an effective game plan. As the case with Memphis who beat us in 6 in 2011, 2 years later we had an effective strategy and won 4-0. Obviously different team, totally different make-up, but I feel like Pop more times than not will figure things out.

Now, it's on the players to go out and execute, hit open shots, not turn the ball over, and try their hardest not to get in foul trouble.

P&GRealist
05-16-2014, 11:55 AM
Question is, does the NBA want LeBron vs KD II ???

HYFR
05-16-2014, 12:21 PM
Just feel like lebron and kd are on a collision course to meet in the finals. But this is going to be a great series!

todu82
05-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Thunder in 6.

Red_Pill
05-16-2014, 02:44 PM

Well, I could bring up the backdoor sweep from just two years ago...

SPURSFAN1
05-16-2014, 03:08 PM
Well, I could bring up the backdoor sweep from just two years ago...

If you watched game 6, we were up by like 18 in the third or something and then the refs took over. No game seven in SA. You don't pay much attention do you? I could go on how they lost harden who was clutch for them. They certainly weren't head and shoulders better than us. I still believe we could have won a game seven in our floor.

If someone is going to debate topics atleast be a little informed.

P&GRealist
05-16-2014, 03:16 PM
If you watched game 6, we were up by like 18 in the third or something and then the refs took over. No game seven in SA. You don't pay much attention do you? I could go on how they lost harden who was clutch for them. They certainly weren't head and shoulders better than us. I still believe we could have won a game seven in our floor.

If someone is going to debate topics atleast be a little informed.

You were also up pretty comfortably with 35 seconds to go in game 6 of the finals with the Larry O'Brien basically in your guys' arms. Did the refs eff that up for you guys as well?

SPURSFAN1
05-16-2014, 03:19 PM
You were also up pretty comfortably with 35 seconds to go in game 6 of the finals with the Larry O'Brien basically in your guys' arms. Did the refs eff that up for you guys as well?

Who the hell is talking about last years finals? Everyone agrees game 6 2012 WCF was rigged as hell. Tons of broadcasters and reporters to anyone basketball related said it was rigged as fawk. Sure we lost. We live and move on. The thing is I only come back to past events when people seem to forget their history.

You still salty from last years sweep?

P&GRealist
05-16-2014, 03:23 PM
Who the hell is talking about last years finals? Everyone agrees game 6 2012 WCF was rigged as hell. Tons of broadcasters and reports to anyone basketball related said it was rigged as fawk. Sure we lost. We live and move on. The thing is I only come back to past events when people seem to forget their history.

You still salty from last years sweep?

Last yrs sweep? You played against a coward who didn't even want to be there and a hobbled 7 foot Spaniard. Congrats?! :confused:

And no, I don't think many are saying the 2012 WCF game 6 was that fixed. You guys had a 2-0 lead, you didn't play smart against Harden, you got backdoor swept just like you did in 2004 Semis against the Lakers. Your boys Duncan and Pop are notorious for blowing series leads. Hell, you blew a 3-2 series lead in last yr's finals as well.

I want to see your excuse if and when OKC puts out the Spurs again with Reggie Jackson instead of James Harden as their 6th man.

This is what you guys are the last 4-5 yrs. THE REGULAR SEASON BULLY!

But when you meet your match in the playoffs, you can spell O-V-E-R for the S-P-U-R-S.

SPURSFAN1
05-16-2014, 03:29 PM
Last yrs sweep? You played against a coward who didn't even want to be there and a hobbled 7 foot Spaniard. Congrats?! :confused:

And no, I don't think many are saying the 2012 WCF game 6 was that fixed. You guys had a 2-0 lead, you didn't play smart against Harden, you got backdoor swept just like you did in 2004 Semis against the Lakers. Your boys Duncan and Pop are notorious for blowing series leads. Hell, you blew a 3-2 series lead in last yr's finals as well.

I want to see your excuse if and when OKC puts out the Spurs again with Reggie Jackson instead of James Harden as their 6th man.

This is what you guys are the last 4-5 yrs. THE REGULAR SEASON BULLY!

But when you meet your match in the playoffs, you can spell O-V-E-R for the S-P-U-R-S.

Pleazze stoooopp. Embarrassing yourself.

P&GRealist
05-16-2014, 03:31 PM

Convenient as that is the only thing you chose to respond to and totally ignored the rest of my post as you have no answer to the other things I pointed out.

I was thinking OKC in 7, but now I'm going to move that up to 6. OKC steals the first game in SA, Spurs win the 2nd game, OKC wins games 3 and 4 at home, Spurs win game 5 at SAS, and OKC wraps it up at home in game 6.

SPURSFAN1
05-16-2014, 03:36 PM
Convenient as that is the only thing you chose to respond to and totally ignored the rest of my post as you have no answer to the other things I pointed out.

I was thinking OKC in 7, but now I'm going to move that up to 6. OKC steals the first game in SA, Spurs win the 2nd game, OKC wins games 3 and 4 at home, Spurs win game 5 at SAS, and OKC wraps it up at home in game 6.

hahahahaaha What about Kobe missing the playoffs in his prime. hahahaa that's worse than losing in the first round
I forgot what you posted so I assumed you meant losing in the first round. lol.
Back to the topic. Spurs in 5. Book it.

P&GRealist
05-16-2014, 03:43 PM
hahahahaaha What about Kobe missing the playoffs in his prime. hahahaa that's worse than losing in the first round

Back to the topic. Spurs in 5. Book it.

You mean when he missed 3 weeks due to a 3rd degree ankle sprain with ligament damage and played just 66 of the 82 games? When Caron Butler their 2nd best player at the time missed like 20 games. Brian Grant missed a bunch of games, Vlade Divac played in like 5 games. We had Tierre Brown, Chucky Atkins, Chris Mihm, Jumaine Jones, Kareem Rush, Slava Medvedenko, Sasha Vujacic, Brian Cook and Luke Walton, and the guy that played the most games for us was Lamar Odom?

Really?

Well you'll know how injuries will affect this series when Tony Parker, man made of glass, will have him hammy issues once again trying to guard Westbrook and Jackson.

Good luck with that. Hopefully he doesn't tear it (which is basically where it's heading and inevitable) while trying to go laterally to stay in front of his man.

mightybosstone
05-16-2014, 03:46 PM

Sir, I think you've embarrassed yourself enough for everyone. I believe you are the one who should consider stopping.

SPURSFAN1
05-16-2014, 03:48 PM
Sir, I think you've embarrassed yourself enough for everyone. I believe you are the one who should consider stopping.

Didn't you think the Rockets would dominate the Blazers?

Don't worry, the Spurs dominated the Blazers for ya.

P&GRealist
05-16-2014, 03:50 PM
Didn't you think the Rockets would dominate the Blazers?

Don't worry, the Spurs dominated the Blazers for ya.

just to lose to OKC

SPURSFAN1
05-16-2014, 03:52 PM
just to lose to OKC

:laugh:

P&GRealist
05-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Let's Go OKC!

Let's Go OKC!

Let's Go OKC!

:dance:

P&GRealist
05-16-2014, 04:00 PM
All 16 ESPN analysts have the series going at least 6 games.

9 of the 16 analysts picked OKC to win.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/matchup/_/teams/okc-sas

SPURSFAN1
05-16-2014, 04:04 PM

good thing Stein picked the spurs.

P&GRealist
05-16-2014, 04:06 PM
good thing Stein picked the spurs.

Stein also picked Spurs in 6 in 2012 WCF against OKC

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2012/matchup/_/teams/spurs-thunder

Wouldn't put too much stock into Stein's Spurs predictions. :)

jerellh528
05-16-2014, 04:06 PM
:confused:

SPURSFAN1
05-16-2014, 04:07 PM
Stein also picked Spurs in 6 in 2012 WCF against OKC

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2012/matchup/_/teams/spurs-thunder

Wouldn't put too much stock into Stein's Spurs predictions. :)

Who could see the refs winning it for them? lol

P&GRealist
05-16-2014, 04:09 PM
Who could see the refs winning it for them? lol
You sound like a 5 yr old. Refs refs refs. Excuses excuses excuses.

You've had the best record in the west 3 out of the last 4 yrs and have choked in all of them. 2011 1st rd Memphis (1-8 matchup), 2012 WCF back door sweep, 2013 game 6 finals debacle collapse, and now this yr's WCF.

kdspurman
05-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Is the series over already? :confused:

I know what happened in 2012. I'm also aware this is a new year/new series. Or not?

P&GRealist
05-16-2014, 04:21 PM
Is the series over already? :confused:

I know what happened in 2012. I'm also aware this is a new year/new series. Or not?

Pretty much.

bathroom_man
05-16-2014, 04:27 PM
Spurs thunder. Ima go with the lakers in 4

kdspurman
05-16-2014, 04:45 PM
Pretty much.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't even realize :phew:

SPURSFAN1
05-16-2014, 04:54 PM

:laugh:

kdspurman
05-16-2014, 05:56 PM
For those who want to continue to go off 2012, you should read this. If of course you want to take a few minutes to read it and embark some knowledge. Like I mentioned before, both teams are different now.

A core question

So, no, this series bears little resemblance to 2012. The Spurs operate differently, the Thunder function on a different wavelength. The Spurs' core is older, but they also have more familiarity with OKC. Durant and Westbrook are better than they were then... but the team may not be as good. That's what makes this series so difficult to figure out.

All of these elements are from a distance, and though relevant, paint a very confused picture.

The core of this series is the one thing that carries over from 2012: It's the Thunder's athleticism vs. the Spurs' execution. It's not about what kind of firepower each team carries in their personnel, each team is good enough to win the West. What will decide this series is which team can tip the balance of that question of athleticism vs. execution to their favor, and as with any series, who can make a few more plays.

Buckle up. This sequel looks to be anything but a retread.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24564650/back-to-the-future-comparing-the-2012-thunder-spurs-series-to-now

SanAntonioSpurs23
05-16-2014, 06:12 PM
Game 6 of the 2012 WCF was officiated about as lopsided as possible in favor of OKC. Go back and watch that game, even blatant Spurs haters can't disagree.

With that being said

Spurs vs refs+OKC= OKC in 6
Spurs vs OKC=Spurs in 7

bathroom_man
05-16-2014, 06:25 PM
So with ibaka out, thunder will coast 4-0

P&GRealist
05-16-2014, 08:00 PM
Yeah, this sucks for OKC. Good for Spursfan1. There you go buddy, you were beyatching about game 6 of 2 yrs ago, and there ya go. Now you guys have an easy pass to the finals.

JC_
05-16-2014, 08:13 PM

lakers - knicks finals!! may the worse team lose!

P&GRealist
05-16-2014, 08:55 PM

What a difference a few hours makes.

With the news of Ibaka OUT for the playoffs, all the ESPN analysts changed their predictions.

Before the Ibaka injury, it was 9/16 analysts in favor of OKC.

Now, after the news, it is 13/16 analysts in favor of the Spurs.

Looks like we are headed a rematch of last yr's finals instead of 2 yrs ago's finals.

Mr.Nate30
05-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Before Ibaka Injury: Spurs in 6

Now: Spurs in 5.