PDA

View Full Version : Thunder are the most poorly coached team in NBA history......

soonabooma
05-15-2014, 11:26 PM
This is just awful. Looks like our window was closed before it ever opened. You can't be this inconsistent with such a loaded roster unless there is a coaching problem. Brooks and his staff are horrible. I'd fire every last one of them this summer. But they don't have the guts to do that. Too bad, we had a lot of promise. But it's all over now.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-15-2014, 11:31 PM
Agreed, brooks is def one of the worst coaches in the league.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-15-2014, 11:43 PM
Mother ****er I hate Scotty brooks! He has fisher in the whole 2nd quarter. 2 airballs, 2 turnovers, and gives up 10 points. He needs to seriously get fired.

JEDean89
05-15-2014, 11:44 PM
omg they are up 3-2 over the ****ing CP3, doc rivers led Clippers. brooks has a still extremely young team and their roll players are either inexperienced or over the hump. he may not be the answer to an OKC chip but he still deserves a chance to see what this team can do in a year or two.

soonabooma
05-15-2014, 11:46 PM
What's going on in OKC right now is just wrong. We're defeating the whole purpose of trying to build a championship caliber team by putting it all in the hands of a coaching staff that is obviously incapable of giving them the kind of coaching they need. Brooks is not getting the job done, and neither are his assistants. This team needs discipline and organization, and this staff is giving them neither.

cmellofan15
05-15-2014, 11:48 PM
oh yeah...blame it on the coaching...

MrfadeawayJB
05-15-2014, 11:50 PM
Yup, there's no excuses when you got two top 15 players in the league and one of the best defensive players

JEDean89
05-15-2014, 11:51 PM
wtf is LAC's excuse? the training the staff?

JEDean89
05-15-2014, 11:52 PM
Yup, there's no excuses when you got two top 15 players in the league and one of the best defensive players

like the grizzlies? jk, i love grizzlies team, but the west is no cake walk, good teams have a way of making other good teams look bad.

Hawkeye15
05-15-2014, 11:53 PM

if only they had Spo, right? Best coach in the league...

soonabooma
05-15-2014, 11:54 PM
The only thing brooks deserves is to get fired.

MrfadeawayJB
05-15-2014, 11:58 PM

like the grizzlies? jk, i love grizzlies team, but the west is no cake walk, good teams have a way of making other good teams look bad.

What?

Iggz53
05-16-2014, 12:00 AM

Like the Clippers? Lol

JEDean89
05-16-2014, 12:00 AM
^^^^ id say marc gasol and z-bo are two top 15 players, maybe zbo is top 20 and tony allen is definitely one of the best defensive players...

soonabooma
05-16-2014, 12:03 AM
if only they had Spo, right? Best coach in the league...

He's a better coach than brooks, I can tell you that much. Lebron is a beast, we all know that, and having Pat Riley around certainly helps, but don't tell me their 15 man roster is any better than ours. No way in hell. They are a better run team, much more organized, much less improvising. They are mentally tougher, and much more focused. They want it more. That's what it all comes down to. Our players need better coaching leadership.

therealwd27
05-16-2014, 12:04 AM
If OKC isn't getting to the Foul line they can't win. Durant is one demential and Westbrook is too erratic. There's a reason a primary jump shooter shot 200 more FT then everyone else in league. Benefit of the whistle...always

PraiseJesus
05-16-2014, 12:04 AM
Im pretty sure the Bobcats from a couple years ago was the worst coached team in history

Or maybe the Lakers from this year..

MrfadeawayJB
05-16-2014, 12:05 AM
^^^^ id say marc gasol and z-bo are two top 15 players, maybe zbo is top 20 and tony allen is definitely one of the best defensive players...

That's generous of you, most would not say that. I'm a die hard grizz fan and wouldn't say any of them crack top 15. Even if they were they don't get the respect top 15 players get (from officials) or media coverage

MrfadeawayJB
05-16-2014, 12:07 AM

Like the Clippers? Lol

Sure. Not to mention their awesome depth. Vdn held then back and they are much more potent with rivers as their coach

JEDean89
05-16-2014, 12:09 AM
That's generous of you, most would not say that. I'm a die hard grizz fan and wouldn't say any of them crack top 15. Even if they were they don't get the respect top 15 players get (from officials) or media coverage

anyone who doesn't have marc gasol top 15 after how the grizz turned around once he came back is nuts. he's imo the best C in the league, people just don't understand the impact the guy has.

MrfadeawayJB
05-16-2014, 12:11 AM

anyone who doesn't have marc gasol top 15 after how the grizz turned around once he came back is nuts. he's imo the best C in the league, people just don't understand the impact the guy has.

Gasol would be the only one, but best C in a weak group of C's isn't saying much

MrfadeawayJB
05-16-2014, 12:12 AM
There is about 5 sf's and 5 pgs in pretty much everyone's top 15

JEDean89
05-16-2014, 12:20 AM
i can't name 5 SF's better than Gasol

Shammyguy3
05-16-2014, 12:26 AM
Having Marc Gasol in your top-15 I won't argue against, there are a lot of guys that have an argument for that tier. But Zach Randolph? :puke:

MrfadeawayJB
05-16-2014, 12:39 AM
But back on topic I think we all agree brooks has under achieved. Just imagine if okc didn't get all the calls they get...

basketfan4life
05-16-2014, 02:41 AM
they blew 22 points lead on game 4. Westbrook didn't give the ball to anyone on like 5 possessions straight. A coach should take a timeout and run a play for Durant. He just watched westy give the game away.

Even in game 3 that they won, Durant and westy scored on a fadeaway jumpshot over a defender and a deep 3 to win the game. If they can get past pop's team with this bad of a coaching, i don't know what to say.

IKnowHoops
05-16-2014, 03:27 AM
This is just awful. Looks like our window was closed before it ever opened. You can't be this inconsistent with such a loaded roster unless there is a coaching problem. Brooks and his staff are horrible. I'd fire every last one of them this summer. But they don't have the guts to do that. Too bad, we had a lot of promise. But it's all over now.

Brooks is a better coach than Spoelstra. The difference is you need less coaching when Lebron is on your team because he plays the game the way its supposed to be played all the time. KD and Westbrook need coaching and thats why it looks worse.

IKnowHoops
05-16-2014, 03:31 AM

If he is the best Center in the league then NBA centers suck bad. I'd take prime Rick Smits easily over Gasol and Smits was probably in the 6-8 range when he played. That is the one area where the NBA has gotten worse since the 90's, much worse.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-16-2014, 03:41 AM

if only they had Spo, right? Best coach in the league...spo is no chump, and he's definitely not terrible like brooks.

mngopher35
05-16-2014, 03:45 AM
I think they might not have great coaching compared to a team like SA or the Clippers, but it definitely isn't the worst.

mngopher35
05-16-2014, 03:47 AM
Brooks is a better coach than Spoelstra. The difference is you need less coaching when Lebron is on your team because he plays the game the way its supposed to be played all the time. KD and Westbrook need coaching and thats why it looks worse.

Disagree. I don't know if there is a huge difference in coaching between the two but you aren't giving Spo any credit at all. He has done a pretty good job helping this team get to where it is. He might not have to do as much as other coaches in general, but he has been solid imo.

IKnowHoops
05-16-2014, 06:34 AM
Disagree. I don't know if there is a huge difference in coaching between the two but you aren't giving Spo any credit at all. He has done a pretty good job helping this team get to where it is. He might not have to do as much as other coaches in general, but he has been solid imo.

Disagree, while Brooks has developed all his talent from younglings into all-stars Ibaka, Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Spoelstra was given 3 proven beasts and has yet to develop one single rookie in to anything other than a bench player. Chalmers garbage, Beasley...has a lot of potential but yet he benched him anytime the dude mad a mistake. Dude has hit game winners for the heat, has played very well in spots, but then sop would yank him quick and give the kid no confidence what so ever. A guy like basely would be a great guy off the bench. He just needed someone behind him to believe in him and help him through struggles. If westbrook played for Spo, he'd get yanked five minutes in for a bonehead play. But then you miss out on all the amazing things the guy can do. Spo has zero ability to develop talent, and winning with Wade, Bosh, and LEBRON is not hard. Any coach and I do mean ANY coach could do it. Seriously though, how can they not win? Lebron got cleveland to the championship by himself. Add current Wade and Bosh to that team, they would of easily won the chip that year. And every year. Lebron is a monster and to add two B/B+ players to a guy who has already done it with a C and a bunch of F's... And I'm not taking credit from Bron, or Wade, or Bosh. Without Bron, the Heat won't win anything. Give them Paul George instead of Bron and they won't win anything. Bron is basically an ultimate nullifier...an unfair advantage...a machine gun in a league of hand guns, so I'm just saying Bron with good players is unfair because he is just so much better than everyone else, and can do (haters say get away with) things none else can do. And spo has done nothing previously to Bron and Bosh's arrival, or anything with a younger player that makes me think he is a good coach. Its possible that he is the worst coach in the NBA. Its very possible.

mngopher35
05-16-2014, 11:50 AM
As someone who watched a ton of Beasley over the years I am not surprised at all that he has trouble fitting in on a championship team. He has some skill and ability but he does not have the ability to fit in with team play. I wouldn't blame Spo for that. Do you give credit to Phil Jackson for winning with Jordan, Shaq, and then Kobe? Sure spo has great players but a lot of top coaches through history have. I am not claiming he is near that level but Miami does run some good sets, they do have plays out of timeouts, and he is a solid game manager imo.

He may not be a great overall coach but I think he is certainly at least on the level of Brooks, probably even better.

Soonerule
05-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Disagree, while Brooks has developed all his talent from younglings into all-stars Ibaka, Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Spoelstra was given 3 proven beasts and has yet to develop one single rookie in to anything other than a bench player. Chalmers garbage, Beasley...has a lot of potential but yet he benched him anytime the dude mad a mistake. Dude has hit game winners for the heat, has played very well in spots, but then sop would yank him quick and give the kid no confidence what so ever. A guy like basely would be a great guy off the bench. He just needed someone behind him to believe in him and help him through struggles. If westbrook played for Spo, he'd get yanked five minutes in for a bonehead play. But then you miss out on all the amazing things the guy can do. Spo has zero ability to develop talent, and winning with Wade, Bosh, and LEBRON is not hard. Any coach and I do mean ANY coach could do it. Seriously though, how can they not win? Lebron got cleveland to the championship by himself. Add current Wade and Bosh to that team, they would of easily won the chip that year. And every year. Lebron is a monster and to add two B/B+ players to a guy who has already done it with a C and a bunch of F's... And I'm not taking credit from Bron, or Wade, or Bosh. Without Bron, the Heat won't win anything. Give them Paul George instead of Bron and they won't win anything. Bron is basically an ultimate nullifier...an unfair advantage...a machine gun in a league of hand guns, so I'm just saying Bron with good players is unfair because he is just so much better than everyone else, and can do (haters say get away with) things none else can do. And spo has done nothing previously to Bron and Bosh's arrival, or anything with a younger player that makes me think he is a good coach. Its possible that he is the worst coach in the NBA. Its very possible.

I'm beginning to have serious doubts about Brooks' commitment to develop his young talent like he used to. Steven Adams has stepped up in this playoffs and shown he has a very bright future in this league and Brooks is going to get the lion's share of credit, but the truth is that had Perk not gotten hurt right after the all star break and Adams been given the opportunity to grow out of necessity, he may very well have suffered the same fate as Jeremy Lamb and PJ 3 in this playoffs. Jeremy did not play one meaningful second in the Clipper series and maybe just a minute in the Memphis series. PJ got 7 seconds the other night at the end of the first half and has been picking splinters ever since.

PJ was deemed a gift when he fell in our laps when he was drafted. I'm still wondering why he fell so far that night and tend to give Brooks some slack on that one.

But Jeremy Lamb is a different story. There was an interesting article in SB Nation just before the '13 draft on Jeremy and it said had things not blown up around him at UConn and forced him to declare for the '12 draft. In all likelihood he would have been a top 5 pick in '13. He started this past season fine. Double digit scoring nights, showed a special knack for making steals and his overall defense was steadily improving leading to a great deal of excitement about how he would add a solid spot up shooter in the playoffs. Then out of nowhere, his numbers dropped, the Thunder signed Caron Butler and Jeremy has been the missing man ever since. How does a young player with that much potential not be developed enough to contribute even one meaningful playoff minute after 2 full seasons? Thabo was out at the same time Perk was out and yet Jeremy never got the opportunity to step in and grow.

Then there is this reluctance to make in game adjustments. Nick Collison was brilliant last night but it took Serge Ibaka leaving with a calf injury for it to happen. Again, Brooks will get the credit, but it was obvious last night that Collison brought a change of pace that clearly threw the Clippers out of their rhythm. Where has he been for the last 5 1/2 games. Not only did our defense improve but Collison seemed to pull the cork on a constipated offense that had been reduced to an iso attack..... again and the additional movement allowed Westbrook to finally get going.

Brooks has been the coach for 6 seasons now. The Thunder's starting 5 have been together longer than any team in the playoffs this year. Everyone is healthy and many feel they have more quality depth than ever. It is my contention that if Brooks can't win it all with this bunch it would be a waste of another year of Kevin Durant's contract to allow him to continue. If the Thunder is going to make a move, this summer would be their best option. And I personally feel with all the pressure that will be on him to leave, the only shot OKC has in retaining KD is to win a championship. It's much harder to walk away when you have a championship to defend than from a team that seems to be wallowing year in and year out in the same offense that just doesn't seem to evolve and that results in one near miss after another.

Jamiecballer
05-16-2014, 03:45 PM
its amazing how bad coaches can look when they get suspect PG play and are forced to use inferior players who they can trust in their place.

Jeffy25
05-16-2014, 04:07 PM
What makes them the worst coaching in the history of the game specifically?

JasonJohnHorn
05-16-2014, 04:13 PM
I know very few BAD coaches that can get the conference finals after beating a team coached by Doc Rivers and featuring CP3 and Blake Griffin. And last time he played Pop, Brooks came out on top, and Pop is the greatest in the NBA today.

Is he the best? I wouldn't say so. Is he the worst ever? I don't think you watched the Lakers, Pistons and Cavs this year.

tredigs
05-16-2014, 04:18 PM

Obviously hyperbole on his part, but from what we can see -- terrible late game management (both rotation wise and not knowing when to foul based on shot clock/timeout situation... which occurred again last week in a pivotal game and is inexcusable), and absolutely primitive offensive sets that don't allow for a flow to their game (way too many ISO's and reliance on transition buckets). Also, cringeworthy "pep talks".

He just sucks. He truly does. I've been saying it for 4 years. Although it's impossible for that team not to be elite based on their overflowing of talent on both ends, he does about as little to maximize the effort that any coach in the NBA would imo.

PatsSoxKnicks
05-16-2014, 07:18 PM
He just sucks. He truly does. I've been saying it for 4 years. Although it's impossible for that team not to be elite based on their overflowing of talent on both ends, he does about as little to maximize the effort that any coach in the NBA would imo.

Agreed. The pudding is in the numbers- isolation offense is clearly less efficient than all other plays. Here are those averages from a Hickory High article awhile back:

Cut 1.18 PPP
PnR Screener 0.97 PPP
Spot Up 0.94 PPP
Off Screen 0.87 PPP
Hand Off 0.87 PPP
Post Up 0.82 PPP
PnR Ball Handler 0.78 PPP
Isolation 0.78 PPP

article here: http://www.hickory-high.com/more-offensive-geometry-2/

And yet you see a coach like Brooks run a ton of iso's at the end of games, with a ton of those iso's ending in off balance contested mid-range jump shots, which remain the worst shot in the game. And as an example, the Thunder have about twice as many isolation plays this year as the Spurs (500+ for the Spurs, 1000+ for the Thunder). Of course, because they have Durant and Westbrook, Brooks can get away with that. But imagine running some damn plays with those talented players? Durant can play off-ball and you see that Brooks does that sometimes, except at the end of games where he just iso's all the time. Or Westbrook does that.

But yeah as tredigs said, that team is so talented that Brooks looks like a good coach, even though he's terrible.

PatsSoxKnicks
05-16-2014, 07:36 PM

I'll reply here because a lot of the rest of the posts in this thread is mindless drivel (no Brooks is not better than Spo, you have to separate talent from coaching which is more about the ability to design plays and understand team synergies i.e. combinations of players).

Anyways, specifically in regards to Brooks- not sure that he's the worst coach ever. However, the Thunder are very talented and a guy like Durant can play both on and off-ball and yet you rarely see any creative sets that utilize this. Sometimes you'll see Durant come off a screen and catch and shoot (which I have to guess his %'s on those shots are excellent- and fwiw, he's shooting 45.2% on 135 spot up threes, all off ball presumably) and yet Brooks iso's him twice as often. Obviously you don't play Durant off ball all the time but considering you have a ball dominant PG like Westbrook, utilizing those sets a bit more would make sense, especially considering there's not much movement in OKC's offense (seriously compare the Spurs motion offense to the Thunder and it's day and night).

Then there's his rotations- wtf is Perkins doing still starting? You have 3 bigs in Ibaka, Collison and Adams who are all flat out better players and offer more to the team but he insists on starting the garbage Perkins. And if you look at some of the lineups that feature Perkins (which get a lot of minutes), you'll see they aren't very efficient. (http://stats.nba.com/teamLineups.html?TeamID=1610612760&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=100&columnOrder=&MeasureType=Advanced&PerMode=Totals&sortField=MIN&sortOrder=DES&filters=MIN*GE*20).

So you basically see that the issues with Brooks lie in his inability to have any sort of playbook, especially in the last 5 minutes of a game. If he didn't have Durant and Westbrook to bail him out, he'd look a lot worse. The second issue with Brooks is he completely ignores lineup synergies and seems to have a hard on for Perkins, who despite playing with Durant and Westbrook, their starting lineup remains fairly inefficient compared to some of the other lineups the Thunder could throw out there (actually their starting lineup has a net rating of -2.6 in the regular season (http://stats.nba.com/teamLineups.html?TeamID=1610612760&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=100&columnOrder=&MeasureType=Advanced&PerMode=Totals&sortField=MIN&sortOrder=DES&filters=MIN*GE*20)....)

PatsSoxKnicks
05-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Does anyone here actually understand the difference between coaching and coaching talent? Coaching involves drawing up plays, managing substitutions (i.e. putting out good lineups), getting the team to buy into a good defensive system (which admittedly Brooks has the Thunder playing good D so I can't say he's the worst coach in the world) and maximizing your teams potential.

Coaching talent involves giving the ball to Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, taking a nap while they do whatever they want and watching them score 30+ ppg every game while you do absolutely nothing because you have the MVP and another top 10 player. Seriously, does Brooks draw up any plays? Does anyone want to explain why Perkins plays a ton despite the starting lineup having a net negative points per possession?

It's astonishing that no one understands the difference between coaching (what Pop does with a 13+ page playbook that includes plays like double screens, slip screens, etc.) and coaching talent (what Brooks does where all of his plays are essentially isolations....I can draw up that play...)

Jeffy25
05-17-2014, 01:54 AM
^thanks

Hawkeye15
05-17-2014, 01:57 AM
spo is no chump, and he's definitely not terrible like brooks.

wonder what either would look like without having their rosters....

Hint: nowhere near as good.

Hawkeye15
05-17-2014, 01:58 AM
Does anyone here actually understand the difference between coaching and coaching talent? Coaching involves drawing up plays, managing substitutions (i.e. putting out good lineups), getting the team to buy into a good defensive system (which admittedly Brooks has the Thunder playing good D so I can't say he's the worst coach in the world) and maximizing your teams potential.

Coaching talent involves giving the ball to Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, taking a nap while they do whatever they want and watching them score 30+ ppg every game while you do absolutely nothing because you have the MVP and another top 10 player. Seriously, does Brooks draw up any plays? Does anyone want to explain why Perkins plays a ton despite the starting lineup having a net negative points per possession?

It's astonishing that no one understands the difference between coaching (what Pop does with a 13+ page playbook that includes plays like double screens, slip screens, etc.) and coaching talent (what Brooks does where all of his plays are essentially isolations....I can draw up that play...)

99% agree. But the best coaches can succeed with various rosters.

Spo is like 39. We will see how good of a "coach" he is when his situation changes. Same for Brooks, who can't be more than 46 or so.

Hawkeye15
05-17-2014, 01:59 AM
Agreed. The pudding is in the numbers- isolation offense is clearly less efficient than all other plays. Here are those averages from a Hickory High article awhile back:

Cut 1.18 PPP
PnR Screener 0.97 PPP
Spot Up 0.94 PPP
Off Screen 0.87 PPP
Hand Off 0.87 PPP
Post Up 0.82 PPP
PnR Ball Handler 0.78 PPP
Isolation 0.78 PPP

article here: http://www.hickory-high.com/more-offensive-geometry-2/

And yet you see a coach like Brooks run a ton of iso's at the end of games, with a ton of those iso's ending in off balance contested mid-range jump shots, which remain the worst shot in the game. And as an example, the Thunder have about twice as many isolation plays this year as the Spurs (500+ for the Spurs, 1000+ for the Thunder). Of course, because they have Durant and Westbrook, Brooks can get away with that. But imagine running some damn plays with those talented players? Durant can play off-ball and you see that Brooks does that sometimes, except at the end of games where he just iso's all the time. Or Westbrook does that.

But yeah as tredigs said, that team is so talented that Brooks looks like a good coach, even though he's terrible.

the death of efficient offense in late game situations...

IKnowHoops
05-17-2014, 05:55 AM
I'll reply here because a lot of the rest of the posts in this thread is mindless drivel (no Brooks is not better than Spo, you have to separate talent from coaching which is more about the ability to design plays and understand team synergies i.e. combinations of players).

Anyways, specifically in regards to Brooks- not sure that he's the worst coach ever. However, the Thunder are very talented and a guy like Durant can play both on and off-ball and yet you rarely see any creative sets that utilize this. Sometimes you'll see Durant come off a screen and catch and shoot (which I have to guess his %'s on those shots are excellent- and fwiw, he's shooting 45.2% on 135 spot up threes, all off ball presumably) and yet Brooks iso's him twice as often. Obviously you don't play Durant off ball all the time but considering you have a ball dominant PG like Westbrook, utilizing those sets a bit more would make sense, especially considering there's not much movement in OKC's offense (seriously compare the Spurs motion offense to the Thunder and it's day and night).

Then there's his rotations- wtf is Perkins doing still starting? You have 3 bigs in Ibaka, Collison and Adams who are all flat out better players and offer more to the team but he insists on starting the garbage Perkins. And if you look at some of the lineups that feature Perkins (which get a lot of minutes), you'll see they aren't very efficient. (http://stats.nba.com/teamLineups.html?TeamID=1610612760&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=100&columnOrder=&MeasureType=Advanced&PerMode=Totals&sortField=MIN&sortOrder=DES&filters=MIN*GE*20).

So you basically see that the issues with Brooks lie in his inability to have any sort of playbook, especially in the last 5 minutes of a game. If he didn't have Durant and Westbrook to bail him out, he'd look a lot worse. The second issue with Brooks is he completely ignores lineup synergies and seems to have a hard on for Perkins, who despite playing with Durant and Westbrook, their starting lineup remains fairly inefficient compared to some of the other lineups the Thunder could throw out there (actually their starting lineup has a net rating of -2.6 in the regular season (http://stats.nba.com/teamLineups.html?TeamID=1610612760&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=100&columnOrder=&MeasureType=Advanced&PerMode=Totals&sortField=MIN&sortOrder=DES&filters=MIN*GE*20)....)

Is it worse to have a hard on for Perkins or Rashard Lewis? I know Reshard doesn't start, but he sees the court a lot.

beyourself
05-17-2014, 06:38 PM
The roster is too talented for the Thunder to not make regular deep postseason runs. But Brooks' is truly so horrible that they may not get over the hump with him and if they do they are probably leaving more titles out there on the table by keeping him.

So it's a lose lose. They won't fire him after so much "success".

For there sake beating the Grizz this season may have been detrimental. He would have been gone. Then maybe they could have gotten Van Gundy.

smith&wesson
05-17-2014, 07:14 PM

I wouldnt say they are "loaded" out side of the core of westy, durant, ibaka what do they really have ? they lost alot of their depth.