PDA

View Full Version : The next OKC Thunder in the making: Philadelphia 76ers

LTBaByyy
05-15-2014, 07:50 PM
Lemme get this straight. They have:

Rookie of the year MCW

The best prospect from last year before injury Nerlens Noel

Potentially a top 3 lottery pick (Parker/Wiggins)

Potentially a top 10-13 lottery pick (Gordon, McDermott, Harris, Young, Saric)

$25 mil cap space this summer

Thaddeus Young

If this GM screws this up, he should be get a Donald Sterling ban for life

More-Than-Most
05-15-2014, 07:55 PM
yea it feels good honestly.... Difference is Durant. Sure fire top player in the league.

NBA_Starter
05-15-2014, 07:57 PM
Well trading MCW for Exum would be going backwards.

mngopher35
05-15-2014, 07:58 PM
No Durant, but you guys can definitely build a really good foundation there (already have the start, and should get something good with that first pick at least). Just don't trade a "Harden" away once you get going.

mngopher35
05-15-2014, 08:00 PM
Well trading MCW for Exum would be going backwards.

I was thinking this but I can't really say since I've never seen Exum play. It is possible it would work out, but MCW is more of a known asset.

PurpleLynch
Noel is still a mystery,hope he can be a good pick for them. Generally,yes,they have a lot of really good picks,they should be ok for next years. Mcw+Noel should be the right core to start building.

LTBaByyy
yea it feels good honestly.... Difference is Durant. Sure fire top player in the league.

If they draft Parker, he has the potential to be good for them. The dude is scary good.

Top 10 player potential in the league currently, kind of like Melo without the ego

torontosports10
05-15-2014, 08:03 PM
This is exactly how I would construct a rebuild if I was a GM. Same with the Astros in the MLB. You have to be extremely bad to have a chance to get the best young players in the draft. Best way to do it is cut salary, tank, then add the necessary pieces as you improve with the cap space.

I think a lot of GM's would do this, but owners are more concerned with the bottom line and don't allow it

flea
05-15-2014, 08:10 PM
I'd rather have the Bucks assets. Not sold on MCW as more than a pretty good player with a couple AS appearances.

BaddNewz
05-15-2014, 08:15 PM
Cant predict who will be a superstar and who wont be a superstar but the sixers have to hit on their draft picks this year and next. Okc actually got lucky with Durant, if Portland goes Durant over Oden. I say that to say that OKC did an amazing job Westbrook, Harden, trading for Thabo, Ibaka, getting Perkins, etc. Its amazing actually. But good scouting and drafting you have to have good development and thats where it gets murky. Do the Sixers have the assistant coaches raise up these players. A lot has to happen for Philly to be OKC.

Ezio
05-15-2014, 08:23 PM
Have to see what they do with the cap space. Should force Houston's hand if they don't pick up Parsons' option or Utah with Hayward.

North Yorker
05-15-2014, 08:27 PM
Could be the next OKC.

Could also be the next Cleveland.

LTBaByyy
05-15-2014, 08:39 PM
If I was a 76ers fan I would be hoping for:

Michael Carter-Williams
Gordon Hayward FA
Jabari Parker 1st pick
Thaddeus Young
Nerlens Noel

6th man: James Young Second 1st pick

Or

MCW
Andrew Wiggins 1st pick
Doug McDermott second 1st pick
Thaddeus Young
Nerlens Noel

flea
05-15-2014, 08:43 PM
That team would give up the most points in the league.

MrfadeawayJB
05-15-2014, 09:56 PM
They will be good if wiggins or Parker is as good as projected

NBA_Starter
05-15-2014, 09:59 PM
Have to see what they do with the cap space. Should force Houston's hand if they don't pick up Parsons' option or Utah with Hayward.

Parsons because the Suns will reportedly be all over Hayward.

WITZ
05-15-2014, 11:06 PM
:laugh2: at the random Thaddeus Young appearance on list. If they can get a game changing talent like KD than they are on their way but that remains to be seen.

cmellofan15
05-15-2014, 11:11 PM
well I'm not sure how Thad Young fits into all of that but it definitely looks promising player-wise. not sold on their coaching situation yet...

raiderposting
05-15-2014, 11:34 PM
I would trade mcw for exum

Bruno
05-15-2014, 11:41 PM
they should try to sign thabo and bring back Hawes. Hawes can play stretch five with Noel as thad is sixth man or they can run small ball with Noel at the 5. meeks would also be a good signing. him and thabo rotating at the 2 gives you defense and stretches the floor when you need it. maybe gortat?

MCW/Wroten
Thabo/Meeks
Wiggins/Paker?
Thad
Noel/Hawes

SeoulBeatz
05-16-2014, 12:00 AM
I'd rather have the Bucks assets. Not sold on MCW as more than a pretty good player with a couple AS appearances.

Not sure if i agree with the first part but Id be ecstatic if MCW made a couple asgs. Considering how stacked the PG position is it wont be easy.

Hawkeye15
05-16-2014, 12:06 AM
MCW's rookie year was nothing like Durant's. The Thunder killed their drafts for a few years, and those players turned into what they did.

I don't see OKC potential in Philly at all. But they are a more desired market that has cap space. But their young pool of talent is nowhere near Durant/Harden/Westbrook/Ibaka, even if they get one of the top dogs this draft.

MagicBucsSox
05-16-2014, 12:14 AM
Waste thread. Other teams have better young talent and the same picks and more money

Westbrook36
05-16-2014, 12:33 AM
MCW's rookie year was nothing like Durant's. The Thunder killed their drafts for a few years, and those players turned into what they did.

I don't see OKC potential in Philly at all. But they are a more desired market that has cap space. But their young pool of talent is nowhere near Durant/Harden/Westbrook/Ibaka, even if they get one of the top dogs this draft.

MCW isn't the Durant of the 76ers if you are comparing them to the Thunder, it's hopefully Parker/Wiggins. Obviously a lot has to happen, but the 76ers are doing a very similar method with stacking up lottery picks.

Way too early to tell on that..

SeoulBeatz
05-16-2014, 12:38 AM
Waste thread. Other teams have better young talent and the same picks and more money

Like the Magic?....

Don't worry, I agree. The east will sure look different in the next few years.

MagicBucsSox
05-16-2014, 01:05 AM
Like the Magic?....

Don't worry, I agree. The east will sure look different in the next few years.

No. Boston , after next season the knicks , Washington, sac. A lot of teams .

Westbrook36
05-16-2014, 01:11 AM

The celtics and knicks are more talented for the future compared to the 76ers? At this point in time, definitely not. Could they end up with more talent due to FA? Sure.

More-Than-Most
05-16-2014, 01:32 AM

Do other teams have the rookie of the year and one of the projected steals in Noel plus 2 lottery picks this year and a ton of money?

More-Than-Most
05-16-2014, 01:33 AM

The knicks are pretty screwed for years to come

Crackadalic
05-16-2014, 01:40 AM
The knicks are pretty screwed for years to come

If melo leaves we have a lottery pick and **** tone of cap space in 2015. Better then the nets future

If philly gets wiggins their title contenders in another 3-4 years. I have that much faith in the kid

More-Than-Most
05-16-2014, 01:47 AM
If melo leaves we have a lottery pick and **** tone of cap space in 2015. Better then the nets future

If philly gets wiggins their title contenders in another 3-4 years. I have that much faith in the kid

Melo leaving will help a ton. I am not sure why fans want him to stay. I agree with your assessment.

RipCity32
05-16-2014, 01:57 AM
They are set up good for sure but a lot is still to be determined. We don't know how Noel or they're draft picks will turn out yet.

Sadds The Gr8
05-16-2014, 01:57 AM
I don't see a Durant type walking through them doors.

Sadds The Gr8
05-16-2014, 01:59 AM
Do other teams have the rookie of the year and one of the projected steals in Noel plus 2 lottery picks this year and a ton of money?

that was like being the best smelling horseshit on the farm.

SeoulBeatz
05-16-2014, 02:02 AM

True. There's no prospect in this draft who I see reaching Durant's level, though I suspect Wiggins and Parker could be pretty damn good.

PurpleLynch
05-16-2014, 07:07 AM
Mcw stats:

16.7 ppg
6.3 asp
6.2 rpg
1.9 spg
0.6 bpg
3.5 tpg
.405 fg%
.264% 3 point

He's a good defender and rebounder
On offense his shot is really weak,he has to improve it. Also poor shot selection.
High turnover ratio,but he's only a rookie,I can condone that.
Good athleticism and great lenght
Good bball IQ,but as a PG,he has to improve it.
An overall good rookie,but he has to get better next year. A good asset to build on,imo,for Phila.

PhillyFaninLA
05-16-2014, 07:49 AM
I think we are trying to follow the Pacers model not OKC and I believe Thad is a draft day trade

North Yorker
05-16-2014, 08:17 AM
I think we are trying to follow the Pacers model not OKC and I believe Thad is a draft day trade

The Pacers aren't really built through high draft picks. I think their highest drafted core player is PG at ~10ish.

If Philly wants to contend then I see no reason why they can't follow the Houston model. Collecting assets and sign short-term FAs until a star player comes available through trade, and then build around them.

LTBaByyy
05-16-2014, 09:04 AM
that was like being the best smelling horseshit on the farm.

Who cares about the draft class he was in

Go look at MCW stats

Go look at the amount of talent he played with (Very impressed w/ his assists)

Go look up the amount of talent of the PGs he went up against every night

Impressive

KnicksorBust
05-16-2014, 09:11 AM

I agree. So much of the reason why the "Thunder Model" worked was because they drafted a future MVP in Kevin Durant. It's a lot easier to make the 2nd, 3rd, 4th options fall into place when you nab the 1st one.

Wiggins has stud potential but:

#1. Philly isn't even guaranteed the #1/#2 pick to get their top target.
#2. I agree that projecting any player in any draft to perform at the level of Kevin Durant is just comical when the odds are so staggering stacked against you.

The Thunder was a bad comparison.

LTBaByyy
05-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Wiggins/Parker might not be the Durant but no one for the next 10 years will be the next Durant

Wiggins/Parker can be Paul George/Melo like (Meaning Top 10 player potential)

king4day
05-16-2014, 09:20 AM
Definitely doing it the right way for sure and setting themselves up nicely.

Can't jump the gun yet though. Tyreke Evans looked like he was going to be a superstar after his Rookie season.
Noel could become an Ibaka type player or he could peak as a Tyrus Thomas.

Glad they're in the east, that's for sure.

BKLYNpigeon
05-16-2014, 09:43 AM
HAHA, you don't even know how good these rookies are yet.

joeyc77
05-16-2014, 09:54 AM
I'm not sure OKC is the right comparison.

The Sixers are going to remain flexible with the cap and gather assets until an opportunity presents itself, which could take several years.

They will also make acquiring a superstar either through the draft, trade or FA a top priority. Note: over the past 20 years or so every team that has won a championship has drafted a star player ( except the Pistons although Rip was good).

Sixers have some of the best young talent/assets in the NBA and have no bad contracts long term. It's an exciting time to be a Sixers fan.

THE MTL
05-16-2014, 10:42 AM
You can be as young as you want but you need a superstar. Or else u'll be like utah, wolves, bucks.....young with no direction

LanceUpperCut
05-16-2014, 11:12 AM
So many young ****** teams look like they will be great in the future only to get slightly better. Maybe a top pick will put them over the top but MCW and NN to me will be nothing more then league average.

joeyc77
05-16-2014, 11:46 AM
You can be as young as you want but you need a superstar. Or else u'll be like utah, wolves, bucks.....young with no direction

All the current superstars started out as young players at one point.

Look at the remaining teams...they are full of top 5-10 picks, most of which are on the teams that picked them.

MonroeFAN
05-16-2014, 12:19 PM
Pretty bold to suggest that they are the next Thunder.

They could just as easily be the next Cavs in the making.

Sadds The Gr8
05-16-2014, 12:33 PM
Who cares about the draft class he was in

Go look at MCW stats

Go look at the amount of talent he played with (Very impressed w/ his assists)

Go look up the amount of talent of the PGs he went up against every night

Impressive

He shot terrible percentages , was brutally inefficient, tons of turnovers, and was apart of a 26 gm losing streak. I even heard his defense was really bad cuz he gambled for a shitload of steals.

I think he has potential to be a good player but he has a lot to improve on. We've seen rookies have good volume stats on horrible teams but never improve (see tyreke, mighty mouse)

Sadds The Gr8
05-16-2014, 12:34 PM
I agree. So much of the reason why the "Thunder Model" worked was because they drafted a future MVP in Kevin Durant. It's a lot easier to make the 2nd, 3rd, 4th options fall into place when you nab the 1st one.

Wiggins has stud potential but:

#1. Philly isn't even guaranteed the #1/#2 pick to get their top target.
#2. I agree that projecting any player in any draft to perform at the level of Kevin Durant is just comical when the odds are so staggering stacked against you.

The Thunder was a bad comparison.
I think Wiggins can be Paul George at best but that's just my prediction. His defense and athleticism reminds me of George

joeyc77
05-16-2014, 02:48 PM
He shot terrible percentages , was brutally inefficient, tons of turnovers, and was apart of a 26 gm losing streak. I even heard his defense was really bad cuz he gambled for a shitload of steals.

I think he has potential to be a good player but he has a lot to improve on. We've seen rookies have good volume stats on horrible teams but never improve (see tyreke, mighty mouse)

You heard wrong. MCW's defense was fine on a bad team with no rim protector or any other above average defender playing significant minutes.

The only stat really effected positively by MCW being on the Sixers were his points (and maybe RBs). His shot needs to improve if he has any chance of being a star player. Most Sixers fans believe he's going to be an decent starter in the league on a good team.

13-14 PPG, 5 RBs, 8-10 Assists, 2 steals and a quality defender who runs the offense.

Sadds The Gr8
05-16-2014, 03:05 PM
You heard wrong. MCW's defense was fine on a bad team with no rim protector or any other above average defender playing significant minutes.

The only stat really effected positively by MCW being on the Sixers were his points (and maybe RBs). His shot needs to improve if he has any chance of being a star player. Most Sixers fans believe he's going to be an decent starter in the league on a good team.

13-14 PPG, 5 RBs, 8-10 Assists, 2 steals and a quality defender who runs the offense.
Eh...I read that his defense is bad from a few Zach Lowe pieces fwiw. If ur a Sixers fan and disagree then it is what it i guess

I don't think he's gonna be trash or anything. I like that he seems well rounded, just saying he had a lot of faults and winning ROY this year means nothing with how bad the crop was. ****ing miles plumlee was a top candidate.....

slashsnake
05-17-2014, 11:48 AM

He has a long ways to go. And we've seen rookies not improve in those area's, but we have seen ones make huge strides there. His FG% and turnovers are pretty much Lebron, Iverson, Wall type rookie type numbers.

Sure he may become the next Jerry Stackhouse, a volume shooter who never really excelled at much else, but I think he's got a pretty good all around game.

DitchDat
05-18-2014, 01:08 PM
This is the way to go. Collect draft picks and build from the ground up. I hope it works out for them.

D-Leethal
05-18-2014, 06:26 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. The NBA always has a stock of young lottery teams with a shot to be "the next Thunder" and there is still only one Thunder. I don't put much stock in the "you MUST build through the draft if you want to contend" belief rampant on here because for every Thunder theres 5 teams that continue to suck for 10+ years after going through a revolving cycle of "great young talent". The best team wins, doesn't matter how you get there.

Kingz4L
05-18-2014, 06:48 PM
Lemme get this straight. They have:

Rookie of the year MCW

The best prospect from last year before injury Nerlens Noel

Potentially a top 3 lottery pick (Parker/Wiggins)

Potentially a top 10-13 lottery pick (Gordon, McDermott, Harris, Young, Saric)

$25 mil cap space this summer

Thaddeus Young

If this GM screws this up, he should be get a Donald Sterling ban for life

Once Sixers get 2 hall of fame type of players and a all-star then make a thread worthy to comparison..

PhillyFaninLA
05-18-2014, 07:02 PM
So many young ****** teams look like they will be great in the future only to get slightly better. Maybe a top pick will put them over the top but MCW and NN to me will be nothing more then league average.

Just curious, how can you have any predictions on Noels at this point. He hasn't played an NBA game yet (heck even a summer league game). Until he plays what makes you think he will only be average.

JEDean89
05-19-2014, 02:03 AM
the 76ers have a terrific chance to nab a future allstar or 2 in this draft, and that could have a massive effect on this teams potential. If they can even nab Aaron Gordon and James Young, they will begin to have one of the best young 2 way nucleus of anyone in the league, If they nab Wiggins and say Dario Saric, that would be crazy too. This team's future success will be built off the veterans this team gets to surround them.