PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't the Knicks (publicly) showing interest in Mark Jackson?

COOLbeans
05-15-2014, 02:50 PM
Jackson is a local New York product. Played his college ball at St. John's. Was a top player for the Knicks. Mark Jackson has shown to be a great leader of men. He led the Warriors to back 2 back playoff appearances, and both of those teams overachieved.

What gives? Why isn't Mark Jackson on the short list?

COOLbeans
05-15-2014, 02:52 PM
Stephen A. Smith and other local media are calling for Mark Jackson to come to New York. He'd be a good fit and I think Phil could mold him offensively. And could turn him into one of the great ones.

The situation in golden state was isolated. Jackson would be a great fit for NY

D-Leethal
05-15-2014, 02:53 PM
Phil wants to coach but his health won't allow him to so he wants to find a former underling to be an extension of his self, let him teach the triangle in training camp, be a constant overlooking presence and basically be what Spoelstra is to Riley. Mark Jackson would never not do it his own way. The personalities would never mesh.

NYKnickFanatic
05-15-2014, 02:54 PM
No connection with the Zen.

COOLbeans
05-15-2014, 02:56 PM
I think Jackson would have no choice but to listen to Phil, the greatest NBA head coach ever. He'd be a fool not to.

I think Jackson's supposed arrogance has been blown out of proportion by the Warriors PR staff. They had personal internal rifts with Jackson. It was all personal.

PatsSoxKnicks
05-15-2014, 03:01 PM
Jackson is a local New York product. Played his college ball at St. John's. Was a top player for the Knicks. Mark Jackson has shown to be a great leader of men. He led the Warriors to back 2 back playoff appearances, and both of those teams overachieved.

What gives? Why isn't Mark Jackson on the short list?

Because he's an overrated coach who runs no plays? Also, he doesn't have any experience with the Triangle.

PatsSoxKnicks
05-15-2014, 03:03 PM
Phil wants to coach but his health won't allow him to so he wants to find a former underling to be an extension of his self, let him teach the triangle in training camp, be a constant overlooking presence and basically be what Spoelstra is to Riley. Mark Jackson would never not do it his own way. The personalities would never mesh.

Honestly, would much rather have that then an overrated coach who just runs isolation plays all game long despite having a ton of offensive talent.

BKLYNpigeon
05-15-2014, 03:09 PM
Mark Jackson and Phil Jackson will butt Heads.

Thats why he got fired in Golden State. Mark Jackson Did not get along with the front office and Did not allow Jerry West to the Practices. He hated when West would talk to the players because Mark Jackson believed all coaching should be coming from coaches. He just didn't want any input on how to run a team.

KnicksorBust
05-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Because he's an overrated coach who runs no plays? Also, he doesn't have any experience with the Triangle.

Little bit of this.

Mixed in with a WHOLE LOT OF THIS. He just got fired for being a one-man show who didn't listen to management and now you think he's going to want to be an apprentice to Phil Jackson? No chance.

P&GRealist
05-15-2014, 03:13 PM
Because Mark Jackson is not a triangle guy.

I really think this whole "The coach has to have NY roots and appeal to the fans" is a bogus notion. Knicks fans and media needs to stop operating with their hearts and start operating with their brains for once. Get a guy who can coach and implement the championship proven triangle offensive.

You pick a coach because he can teach the system. Not because he's from freakin NY!

Might as well tell MJ to sell the Bobcats and go to NY to reunite with Phil just because he too is from NY.

Bogus thinking!

COOLbeans
05-15-2014, 03:15 PM
Mark Jackson and Phil Jackson will butt Heads.

Thats why he got fired in Golden State. Mark Jackson Did not get along with the front office and Did not allow Jerry West to the Practices. He hated when West would talk to the players because Mark Jackson believed all coaching should be coming from coaches. He just didn't want any input on how to run a team.

This is Warriors PR. Jackson vehemently denied the West rumor. Do you even know where that rumor was started? Who was the source?

And I'm pretty sure Phil and Dolan are differnt people than Lacob and Lacob. Remember, the Warriors owners young son (who's in his mid-20s) got into a yelling match with Jackson. That's the only confirmed fact we have regarding Jackson not getting along with management.

According to Bob Myers (the gm) and Jackson, they got along great. The problems were isolated specifically between Mark and the Lacobs. And the fact that Mark denied the Lacob's request to move to the Bay Area full-time.

PatsSoxKnicks
05-15-2014, 03:16 PM
Little bit of this.

To be fair, I suppose I should give a little more credit to Jackson for changing the defensive culture of the Warriors. But this is why he NEEDS an offensive coach with him to be a successful coach. I hate offense where teams just run isolation plays- it doesn't work and it's a recipe for bad 4th quarter offense. There's a reason the most clutch teams over the years have been the ones that continue to run their offense in the last 5 mins of a close game (the Mavs, the Spurs, Doc's Celts/Clippers, even the Heat now).

But the big problem with Jackson is that he's an egomaniac who'd never admit that his way of offensive coaching flat out sucks. And he'd never be willing to accept a coach who runs the offense for him. That'd be the only way to maximize his abilities (defense and motivation)

Burkey3472
05-15-2014, 03:20 PM
Mark Jackson would be a great fit if Phil wasn't in town but he is and he wants a triangle guy. Mark Jackson isn't that guy.

xxplayerxx23
05-15-2014, 03:22 PM

This. People complained about woody, mark is the same kind of ISO run coach. Thought I was the only one that didn't want mark.

COOLbeans
05-15-2014, 03:23 PM
I guess teaching Jackson the triangle is out of the question.

P&GRealist
05-15-2014, 03:24 PM
I guess teaching Jackson the triangle is out of the question.

So you're going to spend time teaching the coach the triangle when he's the one who's supposed to teach it to the players? :confused:

And the triangle isn't an overnight thing. hell, it takes about a season plus to learn it.

BKLYNpigeon
05-15-2014, 03:25 PM
This is Warriors PR. Jackson vehemently denied the West rumor. Do you even know where that rumor was started? Who was the source?

And I'm pretty sure Phil and Dolan are differnt people than Lacob and Lacob. Remember, the Warriors owners young son (who's in his mid-20s) got into a yelling match with Jackson. That's the only confirmed fact we have regarding Jackson not getting along with management.

According to Bob Myers (the gm) and Jackson, they got along great. The problems were isolated specifically between Mark and the Lacobs. And the fact that Mark denied the Lacob's request to move to the Bay Area full-time.

it was seen by Tim Kawakami, sports columnist at San jose mercury News when we was at a shoot around. he saw Mark jackson roll his eyes in annoyance when Wesy was talking to the players.

read into that however you want...

Mark Jackson was a very stubborn coach, and of course he always had the final word on how to run the team. He just didn't make smart adjustments and had a horrendous Hockey Substitutions. Warriors are a high powered offense, and should not have finished 13th in the NBA Offensive Efficiency.

Bruno
05-15-2014, 03:26 PM
because Phil knows how much of a drama king Jackson is. there's only room for one cult of personality per franchise. jackson/jackson couldn't be a worse fit.

jp611
05-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Probably because Phil Jackson is smart enough to know he's not a very good head coach.

PatsSoxKnicks
05-15-2014, 03:30 PM
This. People complained about woody, mark is the same kind of ISO run coach. Thought I was the only one that didn't want mark.

Yup, exactly. He's Woody 2.0. He's obviously a decent defensive coach but if you hated Woody's offense, well Jackson will bring you the exact same thing but with some arrogance and attitude mixed in. And if that's the case, why fire Woody?

As for the other rumored candidates, I'm not sure how I feel about them. I for one, don't necessarily believe former players are always the best coaches (is the consensus best coach in the league Greg Popovich a former player? No....) BUT they can work out (like Doc obviously) if they have experience creating a playbook or utilizing one. To me, it's kind of amazing how many coaches haven't got the slightest clue what a play is and how a lot of them just run isolations. BUT, it's likely that whoever the coach is going to be would have to run the Triangle, which personally I'm excited about. That alone will get the Knicks more wins then whatever talent they may or will have.

COOLbeans
05-15-2014, 03:33 PM
it was seen by Tim Kawakami, sports columnist at San jose mercury News when we was at a shoot around. he saw Mark jackson roll his eyes in annoyance when Wesy was talking to the players.

read into that however you want...

Mark Jackson was a very stubborn coach, and of course he always had the final word on how to run the team. He just didn't make smart adjustments and had a horrendous Hockey Substitutions. Warriors are a high powered offense, and should not have finished 13th in the NBA Offensive Efficiency.

I didn't read that. But you do know Kawakami feeds off sometimes invisible drama right? Either way people think Jackson kicked West out of practice or verbally expressed his discontent. I'm sure West's presence put undue pressure on the players, and well into the season, mistrust had certainly brewed between Jackson, Lacob and West. That was evident when Erman was caught taping the coach's meetings. (Something probably instigated by ownership)

What coach would trust management after something like that? The west rumor was started after the Erman firing.

PatsSoxKnicks
05-15-2014, 03:33 PM

This is awesome that I'm not the only person to see this. His substitutions were horrendous. And he's to arrogant to change as a coach and too dumb to run any plays on offense. He will continue to be a decent defensive coach who always fails because he hasn't got the slightest clue on offense. That will never change because of his arrogance.

abe_froman
05-15-2014, 03:34 PM
never understood nyers love for mark ,i get the hometown kid thing,but still...

anyways,mark isnt a triangle coach and that makes him a no go as long as phil is there

xxplayerxx23
05-15-2014, 03:37 PM
Yup, exactly. He's Woody 2.0. He's obviously a decent defensive coach but if you hated Woody's offense, well Jackson will bring you the exact same thing but with some arrogance and attitude mixed in. And if that's the case, why fire Woody?

As for the other rumored candidates, I'm not sure how I feel about them. I for one, don't necessarily believe former players are always the best coaches (is the consensus best coach in the league Greg Popovich a former player? No....) BUT they can work out (like Doc obviously) if they have experience creating a playbook or utilizing one. To me, it's kind of amazing how many coaches haven't got the slightest clue what a play is and how a lot of them just run isolations. BUT, it's likely that whoever the coach is going to be would have to run the Triangle, which personally I'm excited about. That alone will get the Knicks more wins then whatever talent they may or will have.

Agree 100% look melo comes back you can have SOME isos. But seriously watch the warriors watch the Knicks last year 65% ISO it seemed like. Warriors got by because of how talented they are. Me personally id like to give fisher a try. He's smart and a good leader. I'm real excited and 100% trust phil until he gives me a reason not to.

BKLYNpigeon
05-15-2014, 03:41 PM
The reason why everyone Hated on the Warriors Front Office with the Marc Jackson firing was because he was such a Charismatic Likable Guy. He built up just a great personality with Stan Van Gundy on the TNT Crew. He always had his players back and always had the best motivating speeches during timeouts.

We all overlooked his coaching and just judged him as a person. He was a successful coach and I think he is a good coach, but It can only go so far.

tredigs
05-15-2014, 06:06 PM
For a myriad of reasons (some touched on by PSK already), and do you really want to be the organization that takes GSW's leftovers after they got the person you originally sought for the job? Maybe ego would not play as big a part as I would imagine, but I think it certainly factors in.

east fb knicks
05-15-2014, 06:22 PM
The reason why everyone Hated on the Warriors Front Office with the Marc Jackson firing was because he was such a Charismatic Likable Guy. He built up just a great personality with Stan Van Gundy on the TNT Crew. He always had his players back and always had the best motivating speeches during timeouts.

We all overlooked his coaching and just judged him as a person. He was a successful coach and I think he is a good coach, but It can only go so far.

im not a huge fan of Jackson but where is all this hate coming from the dunbs were scrubs before he got there and he got them to 50 wins the 2nd rd once and almost won against the clips with out his starting 5 plz after watching woody for the year i'd kill for marc to coach my team but pj wants someone who could run the triangle or I think marc would already be our coach watch him go to the cavs and do great and people are still going to say the dude sucks:facepalm:

Sly Guy
05-15-2014, 06:31 PM
maybe because the knicks head coaching job isn't as enticing given their cap situation for the next few years?

I don't know, but if I'm a coach in the nba I'm trying to put together the best resume possible for future reference. NYC is a high profile job, but also one where he's likely to amass a bunch of losses in the near future, probably only to be canned as things start to turn around [or not].

beasted86
05-15-2014, 06:53 PM
Stephen A. Smith and other local media are calling for Mark Jackson to come to New York. He'd be a good fit and I think Phil could mold him offensively. And could turn him into one of the great ones.

The situation in golden state was isolated. Jackson would be a great fit for NY

Jackson runs a parish in LA. I'm not sure he's looking to move clear across the country, but clearly that's up to him and his family.

P&GRealist
05-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Probably because Phil Jackson is smart enough to know he's not a very good head coach.

Yea that's it

J4KOP99
05-15-2014, 08:03 PM

I find it extremely hard to believe that Phil wants to coach the stinking piece of **** that is the New York Knicks roster. Healthy or not.

JasonJohnHorn
05-15-2014, 08:11 PM
If Phil Jackson weren't there, Mark Jackson would have been hired within 2 hours of being fired from GSW.

As it is.. if MarkJax can't handle Herry West at practice and wants to run his own ship in GS (which is more than fair as a head coach), I doubt he will fit in with PhilJax's plan of having a coach he moulds.

PraiseJesus
05-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Mark Jackson isn't a candidate for the Knicks because his coaching philosophy differs greatly from Phils

cssdmark
05-15-2014, 08:47 PM
I find it extremely hard to believe that Phil wants to coach the stinking piece of **** that is the New York Knicks roster. Healthy or not.

Yes he wants to coach this stinking piece of **** Knicks just like he wanted to coach they stinking piece of **** team out west, the Lakers

setman2000
05-15-2014, 11:23 PM
Because the Guru knows all. Hiring Jackson will be one of the biggest wastes of money in sports history.

COOLbeans
05-16-2014, 12:04 AM
Because the Guru knows all. Hiring Jackson will be one of the biggest wastes of money in sports history.

And you reason this how?

MrfadeawayJB
05-16-2014, 12:43 AM
Maybe Phil doesn't like him as a coach. I mean, Marc Jackson doesn't have the best track record with fellow coaches or management

COOLbeans
05-16-2014, 04:14 AM
It's just horrible how the Warriors slung Mark Jackson's name through the mud.