PDA

View Full Version : Knicks will consider Derek Fisher, Kurt Rambis and Tyronn Lue for Head Coaching Gig

P&GRealist
05-15-2014, 02:11 PM
amona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 16h
Knicks regrouping after Kerr surprised w/ Golden State choice, but sources say Derek Fisher and Kurt Rambis will be among those considered

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 13h
As @ESPNSteinLine said on SportsCenter. Clippers asst. Tyronn Lue played for Phil. Done well on Doc's staff. I hear he'll get a look, too

MonroeFAN
05-15-2014, 02:17 PM
yikes

slashsnake
05-15-2014, 02:19 PM
I had half joked here yesterday that Derek Fisher might be his next choice.

KnicksorBust
05-15-2014, 02:20 PM
I know Ron Harper was said to be interested as well. That interest might just be on his end. It's clear that the Knicks don't covet the flashy choices (Jeff Van Gundy, Mark Jackson, etc.) and are targeting Jackson disciples only. We are running the triangle! :laugh:

Gibby23
05-15-2014, 02:23 PM
lol. Phil wants to run the Tri, but it won't work without Phil himself teaching it everyday along with bringing in Text Winter from time to time. We all seen how Clemons and Rambis did in the past. Why not go after a good coach instead of one that has ties to him? Phil just wants to keep pushing his system and try and prove it is the best, but nobody but him has had sucess with it.

D-Leethal
05-15-2014, 02:26 PM
lol. Phil wants to run the Tri, but it won't work without Phil himself teaching it everyday along with bringing in Text Winter from time to time. We all seen how Clemons and Rambis did in the past. Why not go after a good coach instead of one that has ties to him? Phil just wants to keep pushing his system and try and prove it is the best, but nobody but him has had sucess with it.

Phil already told Melo his plan is to teach the system along with his coach and be present throughout training camp. Phil wants to have his fingerprints all over this team, the only way he can do that is by choosing a coach whose willing to let him do that.

D-Leethal
05-15-2014, 02:27 PM
Todays day and age, I don't think anyone should be scared of rookie head coaches. I bet everyone trashed the Grizz coach last year, said Hornacek would win 12 games, and everyone bashed the Mark Jackson hire at the time. Rookie coaches aren't out there blind and alone. They have a wealth of experience next to them every single day.

KnicksorBust
05-15-2014, 02:29 PM

Text Winter. It sounds like a Verizon plan for the colder seasons.

KnicksorBust
05-15-2014, 02:31 PM
Phil already told Melo his plan is to teach the system along with his coach and be present throughout training camp. Phil wants to have his fingerprints all over this team, the only way he can do that is by choosing a coach whose willing to let him do that.

Yep. For some reason I like Fisher the best but it's tough with him still currently playing on the Thunder.

P&GRealist
05-15-2014, 02:31 PM

I really think that's one of the many things that prevented that Shaq/Kobe/Malone/Payton 04 team from winning the chip.

Payton hated running the triangle, could have been more effective against that stifling Pistons defense if he had just played his normal game in a normal system.

cmellofan15
05-15-2014, 02:33 PM
does Tyronn Lue still have braids? that would definitely factor into my decision if I were Phil.

xxplayerxx23
05-15-2014, 02:33 PM
Fisher would be interesting. I think he hangs it up, he is a good leadership guy, would be interesting fit

KnicksorBust
05-15-2014, 02:35 PM
I really think that's one of the many things that prevented that Shaq/Kobe/Malone/Payton 04 team from winning the chip.

Payton hated running the triangle, could have been more effective against that stifling Pistons defense if he had just played his normal game in a normal system.

If Karl Malone didn't hurt his knee the Lakers still would have won that series. And nit-picking 1 finals loss of a coach that has 11 rings is petty and short-sighted.

The_Jamal
05-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Tyronn Lue as a head-coach would be weird as ****.

slashsnake
05-15-2014, 02:43 PM
Phil wants to have his fingerprints all over this team, the only way he can do that is by choosing a coach whose willing to let him do that.

THat's what was so weird about the report today that the "Knicks had reservations about signing Steve Kerr as their coach". I thought Phil had all the basketball decisions and from what I read he seemed pretty locked in. Does Dolan not consider this a basketball decision then?

KnicksorBust
05-15-2014, 02:45 PM

I thought the same thing about Avery Johnson but he had some successful seasons.

AddiX
05-15-2014, 02:52 PM
I would of taken Fisher over Kerr from the beginning.

NYKnickFanatic
05-15-2014, 02:52 PM
Fisher or Lue I don't mind. Keep Rambis away.

D-Leethal
05-15-2014, 02:55 PM
After Terry Stotts job this year we should all reevaluate how we gauge a coaches future success based on past success. The nature of the job makes that a flawed projection.

Gibby23
05-15-2014, 02:58 PM

That system takes years. Phil has to be there everyday. He is setting himself up to fail right out of the gate by making the new head coach be tied to the triangle. He should get the best players he can and the best coach he can, not some guys that might be able to teach a system that may or may not work.

P&GRealist
05-15-2014, 03:10 PM
If Karl Malone didn't hurt his knee the Lakers still would have won that series. And nit-picking 1 finals loss of a coach that has 11 rings is petty and short-sighted.

I said it was one of the reasons. Probably a small reason as it didn't get the most out of the Lakers offensively.

Remember that Karl hurt his knee, but came back and played well in the 1st rd Houston series, really limited Yao. In fact, in 1 game, Malone had a 30 & 10 game in a road playoff win over the Rockets. But the Lakers were still struggling scoring in the first 2 rounds against Houston and San Antonio. Hell, the Fisher 0.4 game against the Spurs, the final score was 74-73.

The triangle was NOT best suited for that Laker team in 04. They struggled to score the ball. You don't go out in free agency to get a Gary Payton to run the triangle. He couldn't even stop Parker and Chauncey, so he was basically worthless defensively. Atleast offensively he would have been able to get P&Rs, some fast breaks with Kobe, Devean George etc. But Phil never expanded his horizons offensively that season.

Yes, I understand injuries had a big part to do with the season, but not the first 2 1/2 rounds (before Malone reinsured himself in game 6 of the Minnesota series WCF).

KnicksorBust
05-15-2014, 03:11 PM
I said it was one of the reasons. Probably a small reason as it didn't get the most out of the Lakers offensively.

Remember that Karl hurt his knee, but came back and played well in the 1st rd Houston series, really limited Yao. In fact, in 1 game, Malone had a 30 & 10 game in a road playoff win over the Rockets. But the Lakers were still struggling scoring in the first 2 rounds against Houston and San Antonio. Hell, the Fisher 0.4 game against the Spurs, the final score was 74-73.

The triangle was NOT best suited for that Laker team in 04. They struggled to score the ball. You don't go out in free agency to get a Gary Payton to run the triangle. He couldn't even stop Parker and Chauncey, so he was basically worthless defensively. Atleast offensively he would have been able to get P&Rs, some fast breaks with Kobe, Devean George etc. But Phil never expanded his horizons offensively that season.

Yes, I understand injuries had a big part to do with the season, but not the first 2 1/2 rounds (before Malone reinsured himself in game 6 of the Minnesota series WCF).

Even if I concede your point, he then went on to win 2 more rings with it. I'm confused how you are even using this against him?

P&GRealist
05-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Even if I concede your point, he then went on to win 2 more rings with it. I'm confused how you are even using this against him?

I'm not using it against him, I'm just saying that that was 1 yr out of his 20 illustrious coaching yrs that maybe him forcing the triangle down people's throats wasn't the best idea. When you're running the triangle with a dominant big man in his prime, a dominant wing player who was 1-2 yrs from hitting his prime, and 2 old but future HOFers who can still hit shots and make plays for others, and you manage to score only 74 points as a team, and you still have 3 pt shooters in Fox, Fisher and George, something is not right.

COOLbeans
05-15-2014, 03:21 PM
Knicks should bring in Rambis lol

P&GRealist
05-15-2014, 03:23 PM
Knicks should bring in Rambis lol

Yes plz, anything to keep him away from the Lakers bench.

NYKnickFanatic
05-15-2014, 03:29 PM
I'm hearing LUKE WALTON now... Wtf? :laugh2:

Gibby23
05-15-2014, 03:44 PM
I'm hearing LUKE WALTON now... Wtf? :laugh2:

I knew Walton would come up. Phil loves Luke.

cssdmark
05-15-2014, 03:45 PM
This whole thing is starting to make me nervous, being hell bent on one of his guys and trying to hire Lue or some other young guy is not only going to make Melo leave but dissway any other big time players coming here in 2015 and with one pick in 26015 and not much else he may send this team in to Milwaukee Bucks territory.

PraiseJesus
05-15-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm predicting Kurt Rambis will be the coach.

He has experience as a head coach and would obviously see eye to eye with PJ on coaching style and player choices

D Fish might be the better choice but I'm guessing Dolan would push for a coach with experience

kobe4thewinbang
05-15-2014, 04:08 PM
LOL, what? Terrible choices. Fisher is still slinging 3's for OKC. And Tyronn who?

Stephen A said they should go for NY-familiar Mark Jackson.

Hellcrooner
05-15-2014, 04:58 PM
been fully expecting the Fisher thing.

I also expect Knicks to heavily pursue Pau Gasol and then also ariza, artest, farmar, s Blake, vujacic this summer too.

SOme of them will be knicks.

bleedprple&gold
05-15-2014, 05:00 PM
I don't get why Fisher' s name keeps coming up. Had he ever at any point said he even wants to coach?

Hellcrooner
05-15-2014, 05:01 PM
LOL, what? Terrible choices. Fisher is still slinging 3's for OKC. And Tyronn who?

Stephen A said they should go for NY-familiar Mark Jackson.

tyron Lue who was a BIG part on our 2001 ring by bugging iverson like a tick bugs a dog diring the whole series with his tenacious D

NBA_Starter
05-15-2014, 05:54 PM
Boy talk about falling off of a cliff for a second option.

abe_froman
05-15-2014, 05:58 PM

was kerr really that hot of a commodity before a week or two ago? i remember when it was first reported that they wanted kerr,he was like a nobody/way down the list of best available coaches(really only being tapped because of phil's love of the triangle).i mean i dont really see the difference between where kerr was when his name first popped up and fisher or rambis

Avenged
05-15-2014, 06:27 PM
Fisher just looks like the guy who's gonna be a really good coach. Smart move if they do plan on going with the triangle. Though I wonder if Fish wants to run that system.

east fb knicks
05-15-2014, 06:33 PM
I don't get why Fisher' s name keeps coming up. Had he ever at any point said he even wants to coach?

yes but he said the lakers not knicks

east fb knicks
05-15-2014, 06:34 PM
fk rambis:guns: if we get him we can count out k love coming here

GiantsSwaGG
05-15-2014, 08:45 PM
Tyronn Louuuu thou :laugh2:

Denver-boy
05-15-2014, 08:55 PM
There goes Stephen A smith Racist conspiracy theory

Denver-boy
05-15-2014, 08:56 PM
Patric Ewing would be AMAZING for the Knicks. Why isnt his name in the mix, its not like fisher is some amazing coach. Ewing at least has experience. Anyways WHO ever it is just going to be a PUPPET to jackson. why not one of best knicks of ALL TIME??

Ill21
05-15-2014, 09:12 PM

Why?

Because they aree not as big of names as steve kerr?

JasonJohnHorn
05-15-2014, 09:28 PM
I honestly think Fisher would make a MUCH better coach than Kerr.

Knicks win on this one if they can get Fisher.

The question is, does Fisher want to play another year? Considering the money NY threw at Kerr, Fisher stands to make more as a coach than as a player if he signs with the Knicks.

Fisher had a better all-around game than Kerr as well, and judging from what they both did on the court, I think Fisher would be better at handling egos and mentoring young players, because he's been doing that on the court for years.

kingsdelez24
05-15-2014, 10:08 PM

He's been an assistant with Doc Rivers for years

Hellcrooner
05-16-2014, 11:44 PM
been fully expecting the Fisher thing.

I also expect Knicks to heavily pursue Pau Gasol and then also ariza, artest, farmar, s Blake, vujacic this summer too.

SOme of them will be knicks.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10943339/phil-jackson-says-explore-dealing-new-york-knicks-point-guard-raymond-felton

:rolleyes:

therealwd27
05-16-2014, 11:58 PM
Has any of Phil's "disciples" ever been a good coach? Lol Phil doesn't produce good assistants. Hire one of Pops guy and you'll do so much more.

Cal827
05-17-2014, 12:11 AM
Alright, so I just was joking in the other Fisher thread, but according to sports illustrated, it looks like they reached out to Scottie Pippen as an Assistant Coach... .LMAO :laugh2:

http://nypost.com/2014/05/15/knicks-feel-out-scottie-pippen-on-joining-organization/