PDA

View Full Version : What's Next For the Nets?

Wade n Fade
05-14-2014, 11:38 PM
Okay, so you're King or Prokhorov. KG had his last career game probably. Paul Pierce is about to either retire or leave the Nets. You have Joe Johnson showing signs of skill again. Brook Lopez is coming back, but is often injured. Deron Williams is back on a huge contract. Shaun Livingston is up for a pay raise because of his good role player ability. Andray Blatche will not be cheap. Andrei Kirlenko is older. Alan Anderson is also a FA. We all know this time is a makeshift thrown together last hoorah attempt to compete for a title. What do you do with limited picks and cap space to rebuild the Nets into a contender?

still1ballin
05-14-2014, 11:43 PM
not much

GiantsSwaGG
05-14-2014, 11:45 PM
Sign Melo

Cal827
05-15-2014, 12:00 AM
I'm inclined to believe that they will have one more year to get it before everything goes South. Maybe they can convince KG/Pierce and the others to come back cheap for one final push. It's very dependent on what happens during Free Agency, as well as having Brook Lopez be healthy for a year. He's a very good offensive C, but he definitely needs a tough, defensive PF next to him, or they would get abused in the paint.

In their division, the main rival next year will likely be Toronto, as pending some miracle, the Knicks will likely be a fringe-playoff team at best, and Boston/Philly are in the rebuilding process. If Lowry leaves us, then they might benefit from an easy division. To the contrary, if he re-signs, and we are able to acquire someone like Deng or Gasol, then we would be the major problem (and quite possibly the better team).

In the event that the Big three split, then the main rival outside the division might shift from Miami to either Chicago (If they are able to acquire Melo in the offseason, then that team is going to be brutal, and that's not considering that Rose could be back and ready to go), or Washington (Young team that has finally got playoff experience under their belt, improving players in Wall/Beal, and good interior presence/role players).

I don't mean to offend the Pacer fans, but I see that team going through a complete retooling in the offseason (assuming that they don't reach the finals (which I don't think they will)), which might cause them to fall back a little bit next season. I'm just not confident that they will get by Miami (maybe even the Wizards, but we will see).

Plumblee might see a bigger role.

They also might be able to acquire talent from rebuilding teams for some of the Big expiring contracts that they have. Namely, Marcus Thorton. There will likely be a team looking to unload contracts for an expiring, which might be costly to the owner, but could improve the team. E.g. Thorton for Pachulia and Delfino would have an extra year on their deals, but gives them an immediate defensive Center and a swingman with range.

Wade n Fade
05-15-2014, 12:15 AM
I'm inclined to believe that they will have one more year to get it before everything goes South. Maybe they can convince KG/Pierce and the others to come back cheap for one final push. It's very dependent on what happens during Free Agency, as well as having Brook Lopez be healthy for a year. He's a very good offensive C, but he definitely needs a tough, defensive PF next to him, or they would get abused in the paint.

In their division, the main rival next year will likely be Toronto, as pending some miracle, the Knicks will likely be a fringe-playoff team at best, and Boston/Philly are in the rebuilding process. If Lowry leaves us, then they might benefit from an easy division. To the contrary, if he re-signs, and we are able to acquire someone like Deng or Gasol, then we would be the major problem (and quite possibly the better team).

In the event that the Big three split, then the main rival outside the division might shift from Miami to either Chicago (If they are able to acquire Melo in the offseason, then that team is going to be brutal, and that's not considering that Rose could be back and ready to go), or Washington (Young team that has finally got playoff experience under their belt, improving players in Wall/Beal, and good interior presence/role players).

I don't mean to offend the Pacer fans, but I see that team going through a complete retooling in the offseason (assuming that they don't reach the finals (which I don't think they will)), which might cause them to fall back a little bit next season. I'm just not confident that they will get by Miami (maybe even the Wizards, but we will see).

They also might be able to acquire talent from rebuilding teams for some of the Big expiring contracts that they have. Namely, Marcus Thorton. There will likely be a team looking to unload contracts for an expiring, which might be costly to the owner, but could improve the team. E.g. Thorton for Pachulia and Delfino would have an extra year on their deals, but gives them an immediate defensive Center and a swingman with range.

Oh, the Pacers have to make some major changes. Roy Hibbert on a max contract hurts because he has been in decline for awhile. George Hill is an overpaid POS. Vogel will get fired. David West is old. I don't like that deal for Brooklyn because Delfino was out for the year recently from what I remember, right?

THE MTL
05-15-2014, 12:22 AM
I doubt Pierce stays, probably goes to the clippers. Kg needs to retire. But a team of Thornton Williams Johnson and Lopez might be better than you think

Miltstar
05-15-2014, 12:31 AM
the D-League?

Miltstar
05-15-2014, 12:32 AM
I don't mean to offend the Pacer fans

The Pacers have fans?

jmoney85
05-15-2014, 12:34 AM
just blow it up... I rather be a scrub team than have the heartbreak of losing in the playoffs lol

_Gmen_
05-15-2014, 12:35 AM
Blow the team up, they have plenty of pieces.

They are built to win now, but they just aren't.

Avenged
05-15-2014, 12:36 AM
Retirement home.

Greet
05-15-2014, 12:47 AM
Retirement home.

Nice.

They have pieces to still contend. Like people keep pointing out, Pierce and KG suck/need to retire/old etc. So losing them obviously wouldn't hurt the Nets much? We get Lopez back, we have guys getting more experience like Teletovic, Plumlee, etc. Deron obviously needs to play much better, Joe Johnson had a great playoffs.

We need to make some moves obviously but this isn't the end of the Nets.

MyDRoseLikeDeng
05-15-2014, 02:16 AM
I really dont know how to answer this question. they built for now and not the future and so far it looks as if it has bit them in the ***** dearly. DWill is not good enough to be the star on a title team, and neither is Joe. They need a superstar but those dont grow on trees, and they have no draft picks or money to sign one. If I was the Nets, I might have to see if I can sneak Kevin Love away from Minnesota SOMEHOW, or maybe some other top tier player, but the future does not look bright at all

benzni
05-15-2014, 02:53 AM
FA shopping.

TheMightyHumph
05-15-2014, 03:37 AM
Some golf, some time with the family, talks with their agents, and if Proky has learned anything from his NBA experience thus far, the firing of Billy King.

JJ_JKidd
05-15-2014, 04:31 AM
Prok doesnt care if he loses money. Thats not his [hard-earned] money anyway its crony money. So he'll probably get this player and that player next season.

TheMightyHumph
05-15-2014, 04:37 AM
Prok doesnt care if he loses money. Thats not his [hard-earned] money anyway its crony money. So he'll probably get this player and that player next season.

You've heard of the CBA.

Munkeysuit
05-15-2014, 06:17 AM
I am not a Nets fan but I do believe they will come back even stronger than before...I mean has anyone even noticed they were missing their best player? (Brook Lopez) Their off season, however, will be super busy as Pierce, Livingston, Kirilenko, Blatche and Alan Anderson are all free agents.

PhillyFaninLA
05-15-2014, 07:09 AM
When you put all your chips on the table you win big or lose big...in professional sports this type of think either works or sets you back for years.

Only thing they can do is trade Lopez (I think its a bad idea), try and trade Deron (maybe someone will think they can get him back to what he was), and you could probably trade Joe Johnson.

The reality is the Nets are probably stuck in the middle tier of teams for years.

mudvayne387
05-15-2014, 07:29 AM
This team is destined for 1st and 2nd round exits for many years to come ...

Iron24th
05-15-2014, 09:14 AM
I think they're up for one last try with this roster, hoping lopez and kg stay healthy, which we know it's impossible, then blow it up.

Wade n Fade
05-15-2014, 10:45 AM
This team is destined for 1st and 2nd round exits for many years to come ...

Great, their new off-season motto ought to help them out: "Golf for Brooklyn" :p

Wade n Fade
05-15-2014, 10:47 AM
I think they're up for one last try with this roster, hoping lopez and kg stay healthy, which we know it's impossible, then blow it up.

KG will not be effective on offense nevertheless.

Greet
05-15-2014, 10:53 AM
KG will not be effective on offense nevertheless.

Not true. KG was forced to play in the low post and that obviously wasn't his game anymore. When the Nets have their best player on the floor (Lopez), he dominates the low post. It would definitely open up more elbow jumpers for KG, which he loves.

Wade n Fade
05-15-2014, 10:59 AM
Not true. KG was forced to play in the low post and that obviously wasn't his game anymore. When the Nets have their best player on the floor (Lopez), he dominates the low post. It would definitely open up more elbow jumpers for KG, which he loves.

His shot is so flat, so expecting him to shoot 50% or more is too unrealistic. One game, he can score 0 points and then 12 the next. You cannot expect that 12 to be there all the time. Unlike Hibbert, KG is older and his body has extreme wear and tear.

ManRam
05-15-2014, 11:03 AM
I don't think the return of Lopez can be understated. He makes the parts fit so much better IMO. The team will continue to try and contend...they're too committed at this point not to. I'd imagine Pierce sticks around. Doubt there's much turnover outside of that. They could try and make some Orlando post-2009 type of moves and make some very lateral moves just to change things up in some capacity, even if it doesn't actually improve the talent, but they won't be blowing things up and I'd be surprised if they move any of their stars.

bleedprple&gold
05-15-2014, 11:06 AM
Might as well bring everybody back and hope Lopez can stay healthy and will be a difference maker because they are not going to be able to blow that team up yet. Too many over paid players not producing for what theyre getting paid. Nobody is going to take JJ or DWill or always injured Lopez. They made some bad personnel moves trying to use the Knicks style of building by getting the highest paid players and now they have to live with it. Capped out, not a championship contender, no draft picks. Prokhorov tried to take shortcuts to build a contender instead of being patient and building properly and its going to bite then in the *** big time.

Greet
05-15-2014, 11:14 AM
I don't think the return of Lopez can be understated. He makes the parts fit so much better IMO. The team will continue to try and contend...they're too committed at this point not to. I'd imagine Pierce sticks around. Doubt there's much turnover outside of that. They could try and make some Orlando post-2009 type of moves and make some very lateral moves just to change things up in some capacity, even if it doesn't actually improve the talent, but they won't be blowing things up and I'd be surprised if they move any of their stars.

Yup yup.... Just looking at the impact of Lopez offensively and defensively is enough to believe the Nets would have been a much better team with him.

Last year with Lopez on the court they scored 5.2 more points per 100 offensive possessions than him off the court, and defensively with Lopez on the court they allowed 2.3 less points per 100 offensive possessions than with him off the court.

KnicksorBust
05-15-2014, 11:17 AM

I agree with Cal. They were good enough to eliminate the Raptors and make it to the 2nd round and that was without Brook Lopez. The idea of using PP/KG for just one fluke push seems like such a terrible strategy to me. I'm always a fan of taking multiple championship pushes with the SAME CORE because history has proven over time that it takes a year or 2 to break through. Hell even the Miami Heat superteam of LeBron-Wade-Bosh needed a 2nd year together to win the title.

mjt20mik
05-15-2014, 11:35 AM
I really don't know. I like what Paul and KG give them in experience, so if they could restructure their deals for like 3-4 Million a year, I'd do it.

The biggest loss was Lopez, but I just don't know what he can give this team anymore. It seems like every year, his feet are always giving him problems. They are a different team with him sure, but to count on him for a full reason seems like a myth now.

Other than that, there really isn't much they can do. Maybe try and dump one of their "star" players for some cap space and picks.

MonroeFAN
05-15-2014, 12:31 PM
Panic button.

NYJ - NYY
05-15-2014, 01:31 PM
I am not a Nets fan but I do believe they will come back even stronger than before...I mean has anyone even noticed they were missing their best player? (Brook Lopez) Their off season, however, will be super busy as Pierce, Livingston, Kirilenko, Blatche and Alan Anderson are all free agents.

Have you noticed that brook is one of the most injury plagued big men in the league?

Pierzynski4Prez
05-15-2014, 01:50 PM
They're F'd until about 2017 no matter what. Deron and JJ's contracts are just to big for the next 2 seasons to be able to do anything.

Crackadalic
05-15-2014, 02:03 PM
Trade d will because he is not worth his contract.

D-Leethal
05-15-2014, 02:07 PM
How exactly does Lopez make the pieces fit better? They didn't start winning games until they went uber small with Pierce at the 4. If you go away from small ball, the defense will go into the toilet because unless they are playing small, every single guy in that starting 5 is extremely slow footed at their respective position. You also can't play the 2 PG lineups that were crucial to your success.

They never once found a groove with Brook in the lineup - it happened instantaneously after they were forced to play small. It reminded me of the Knicks last season when Woody had the small ball 2-PG lineup fall into his lap due to injuries and went on a 16-3 tear as a result.

DWill can't guard 1s. Joe can't guard 2s. Pierce can't guard 3s. KG can't guard 4s. Brook can't guard 5s (mostly due to pick and roll defense - his post and rim protection is solid).

I guess you could find another PG to replace Livingston, assume KG will retire, play Pierce at the 4 and Joe at the 3, let DWill guard 2s.

D-Leethal
05-15-2014, 02:09 PM
I personally think they see the writing on the wall. This was supposed to be a 60+ win instacontender and while they finished the season hot, they were nowhere near a contender and next year ALL of their role players who came to ring chase will be gone, the leadership and fire of KG will be gone (does anyone else have any emotion on the team), and I doubt Pierce sticks around knowing they are simply not gonna get it done.

Chronz
05-15-2014, 02:11 PM
How exactly does Lopez make the pieces fit better? They didn't start winning games until they went uber small with Pierce at the 4. If you go away from small ball, the defense will go into the toilet because unless they are playing small, every single guy in that starting 5 is extremely slow footed at their respective position. You also can't play the 2 PG lineups that were crucial to your success.

DWill can't guard 1s. Joe can't guard 2s. Pierce can't guard 3s. KG can't guard 4s. Brook can't guard 5s (mostly due to pick and roll defense - his post and rim protection is solid).

I guess you could find another PG to replace Livingston, assume KG will retire, play Pierce at the 4 and Joe at the 3, let DWill guard 2s.

Yea but Lopez is too talented not to at least give it another go. KG should come off the bench at this point in his career anyways, so you can stay small, just replace those 2. Still, its a flawed roster that should trade some of its experience for younger legs.

I hope Pierce and KG find a way to Doc tho

D-Leethal
05-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Yea but Lopez is too talented not to at least give it another go. KG should come off the bench at this point in his career anyways, so you can stay small, just replace those 2. Still, its a flawed roster that should trade some of its experience for younger legs.

You still build around Lopez, just not with DWill, Pierce, Johnson on the perimeter because it ain't gonna work. You need grit, hustle, defense, role playing somewhere on the perimeter.

Cal827
05-15-2014, 02:44 PM

You mean Doc bolting Sterling and going to the Nets? Sounds possible lol :D

diu9leilomo
05-15-2014, 02:51 PM
I agree with Cal. They were good enough to eliminate the Raptors and make it to the 2nd round and that was without Brook Lopez. The idea of using PP/KG for just one fluke push seems like such a terrible strategy to me. I'm always a fan of taking multiple championship pushes with the SAME CORE because history has proven over time that it takes a year or 2 to break through. Hell even the Miami Heat superteam of LeBron-Wade-Bosh needed a 2nd year together to win the title.

the nets are done. lol they beat the inexperienced raps by 1 pt, that series could of gone either way and no way they will beat the raps next yr even if lopez is back. PP and KG can barely play an effective game, dwill choked and the only good player was joe johnson. They will be the hawks, make the playoffs every year and knock out in the first round.

koreancabbage
05-15-2014, 07:22 PM

they barely squeaked by and they were favourites to win the series if i'm not mistaken. LOL chemistry wise, having Lopez might have not been the best scenario if it meant taking the ball out of JJ's hands, which after watching that series, would have been preferable.

DD might not have been exposed as much bc JJ wouldn't have the ball in his getting in the paint at will and taking over games. Makes them a slower team as BL is slow as hell lol.

Tony_Starks
05-15-2014, 07:35 PM
It will all center on if they are able to move Williams. Which will be no easy task after this season.

But if they by some miracle are able to swindle someone into taking him, they're back in the ball game.

Bruno
05-15-2014, 07:37 PM
rebuild because its over before it ever started. Williams is done being a high impact player in the NBA, Lopez is young and good but a gamble, we'll see if this Z surgery helps him. Pierce is leaving, KG is done. Johnson still looks good but his time is running out as well.

Brooklyn needs to rebuild and get rid of its assets while they still have value, that includes Williams. this core has zero chance of dethroning Miami.

Bruno
05-15-2014, 07:42 PM

no disrespect to the raptors and their excellent fan base, but I'm not sure if that's good enough justification to keep the core together. the Raptors wouldn't have made the post-season if they were in the west. they had the same record as Phoenix, and that's with Lowry playing lights out in a contract year.

slashsnake
05-15-2014, 07:52 PM
It will all center on if they are able to move Williams. Which will be no easy task after this season.

But if they by some miracle are able to swindle someone into taking him, they're back in the ball game.

Maybe I am wrong here but aren't they so far over the cap that they would have to cut tens of millions in salary just to get to the point where they could sign a player (other than the midlevel exemption or minimums)?

Tony_Starks
05-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Maybe I am wrong here but aren't they so far over the cap that they would have to cut tens of millions in salary just to get to the point where they could sign a player (other than the midlevel exemption or minimums)?

Yeah they would still be capped out. But if they could get some kind of combo of expirings and picks at least they'd have more flexibility going forward.