PDA

View Full Version : What Happens to the Future of Paul Pierce & Kevin Garnett ?

P&GRealist
05-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Pierce is now an unrestricted free agent. KG has 1 more yr worth $12M.

Where do the Nets go with Pierce? Resign him?

Where do the Nets go with KG? Let him play it out, or buy him out, or does he straight out retire?

king4day
05-14-2014, 10:04 PM
He's still got some value (KG) so I think they'll ride his contract out. If he wants to retire, I could see the Nets trading him for a piece that a team wants to unload. Hell, I'd trade Frye (expiring) for KG to retire. Nets having a shooting PF wouldn't be the worst thing. They'd at least get playing time out of him.

I believe the Nets will make one more go at it next season. knowing they had a good season after finally meshing, I believe they'll wanna see how this team does with a healthy Lopez.

bathroom_man
05-14-2014, 10:05 PM
Its gunna be:
Pierce
Garnett
Gasol
Bryant
Nash

And the best bench in the nba

THE MTL
05-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Garnett should just retire. Next season can only be ugly for him.

Pierce really might go to the Clippers. They are legit championship contenders, have his old coach, its near his hometown, and he would probi still be the starter

P&GRealist
05-14-2014, 10:13 PM
Garnett should just retire. Next season can only be ugly for him.

Pierce really might go to the Clippers. They are legit championship contenders, have his old coach, its near his hometown, and he would probi still be the starter

He aint goin there if Sterling is still at the helm. In fact, no black player will go there this summer if the league doesn't do something quick.

NBA_Starter
05-14-2014, 10:23 PM
PP will probably try to stick around and sign with a team to chase a title.

I don't know about KG but it is time for him to retire.

Big Zo
05-14-2014, 10:25 PM
Their future is retirement, and colostomy bags.

P&GRealist
05-14-2014, 10:29 PM
Their future is retirement, and colostomy bags.

That's kind of a douchy statement right there, considering there are young people with GI problems who live with such things.

shep33
05-14-2014, 10:32 PM
I have no doubt that Pierce will sign with the Clippers. He's from LA, Doc is already there, Barney is more of a backup... seems like a perfect fit

Htownballa1622
05-14-2014, 10:39 PM
KG's bum *** needs to retire.

Pierce for all I care can join him.

:censored: those guys.

JasonJohnHorn
05-14-2014, 10:45 PM
That's kind of a douchy statement right there, considering there are young people with GI problems who live with such things.

+1

JasonJohnHorn
05-14-2014, 10:47 PM
I think both would be great for any contender to have coming off the bench. Clippers would be my first bet, but the Warriors could really use Garnett coming off the bench.

That said... the Nets can't really afford to give up Garnett without getting something back.

mightybosstone
05-14-2014, 10:50 PM
Garnett should retire as he was pretty awful this year despite playing a little better in the playoffs. Pierce still has value, but I'm not sure what else he has to prove at this point or what he could gain by sticking around. I could feasibly see both guys signing on for one more season in Brooklyn, or I could see a scenario where Pierce goes the Clippers or another contender. If he didn't hate Miami so much, I'd suggest he go to the Heat, but that's extremely unlikely to happen.

FlashBolt
05-14-2014, 10:59 PM
Pierce should sign with Miami and take a Ray Allen type of deal.

Tony_Starks
05-14-2014, 11:01 PM
For KGs sake I hope he hangs it up. Never liked him but its still sad to see the guy going 100% and still be a shell of himself. Plus I doubt he can even take the rigors of another season.

I would bet the house Pierce comes back home and comes off the bench for Doc. Could very well be the piece that puts Clippers over the top too.

Either way Brooklyn will not have them next year, this was a true one and done.

Tony_Starks
05-14-2014, 11:03 PM
Pierce should sign with Miami and take a Ray Allen type of deal.

Pierce is no Ray Allen. He hates Miami and Lebron, no way he ring chases with the enemy.

Asik's better
05-14-2014, 11:08 PM
Garnett is one of my favourite players of all time and as much as I would love him to get another ring it's time for him to ride off into the sunset.

Pierce however still has some left in the tank. He should look at the clippers, spurs and pacers. All three would be great spots for him.

TheNumber37
05-14-2014, 11:09 PM
KG should retire.
Pierce has a couple years left and will probably sign with the Clippers.

Crackadalic
05-14-2014, 11:21 PM
Watching kg play was like watching Kidd playing the last 5 months from jan-May. It was sad to watch

Kg is done
Pierce I see can sign to a contender

_Gmen_
05-14-2014, 11:34 PM
Retire, like they should have 2 years ago.

Wade n Fade
05-15-2014, 12:04 AM
KG cannot play at a high level anymore. His jump shot is too flat. He struggles to rebound too because his body is probably aching from the multiple seasons he played with Boston and Minnesota. Paul Pierce can hardly defend, has a flat jump shot at times, & hobbles a lot. To expect him to deliver 15-18 ppg and a main fixture of an offense is too much. He should be a 6th man for a team in all honesty. Potential destinations: Chicago, Houston, LAC, Indiana, OKC, and Dallas are the first teams that come to mind. The idea that Miami would get him is really interesting, but not happening since nobody likes Paul Pierce down here and he hates the Heat. Pat Riley can convince people anyways. We are losing Battier to retirement anyways. We already have a sixth man shooter in Ray Allen. Those teams I listed are MMLE candidates anyways. Paul Pierce would be fun to watch for Detroit fans. They can put together a core of Drummond, Monroe, Jennings and ship out Smith via trade to like Houston or someone else. Paul Pierce can slide in as their 3rd wheel off the bench or in the starting lineup depending on SVG's plans.

USMCLaker
05-15-2014, 12:10 AM
Assisted Living facility sounds about right.

Wade n Fade
05-15-2014, 12:10 AM
My memory of Paul Pierce was from Game 1 in the finals with this moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o80WOuUr5bs

Gibby
05-15-2014, 12:24 AM
Pierce has a year or two in a limited role but KG has nothing left. KG won't retire unless he gets bought out since he has a year left on his contract. Brooklyn should buy him out because he won't help them much and they will save some money on the luxury tax.

j-bay
05-15-2014, 12:29 AM
Pierce will sign a 1 year deal then the year after that will sign a one day contract with the Celtics.

FlashBolt
05-15-2014, 12:33 AM
Pierce is no Ray Allen. He hates Miami and Lebron, no way he ring chases with the enemy.

Well, not many options for him. Usually Pierce steps up and dominates when it counts but it's clear his age caught up to him. I mean Miami could definitely use him since Battier is most likely gone next year along with Chalmers.

Tony_Starks
05-15-2014, 01:17 AM
Well, not many options for him. Usually Pierce steps up and dominates when it counts but it's clear his age caught up to him. I mean Miami could definitely use him since Battier is most likely gone next year along with Chalmers.

That's a pipe dream bro. The Clippers are a serious possibility on multiple levels. Hometown. Favorite coach. Chance to contend.

KniCks4LiFe
05-15-2014, 01:42 AM
I think he has one more year left in his body.

Just not w/ Brooklyn. And he doesn't sound like he's staying there either.

I think he'll pop up in LA for his final season w/ Doc Rivers. And then when it's done, he'll sign a one day contract to retire a Celtic.

KniCks4LiFe
05-15-2014, 01:47 AM
And if I'm KG. There are times you got to know it's over.

KG was an amazing basketball player, but he needs to walk away and plan his next career.

Whether it's TV analyst at TNT or NBA TV or ESPN, he has the knowledge to become an assistant coach, but your NBA player career, it just over.

Method28
05-15-2014, 02:03 AM
As a Clippers fan idk if I'd really want Pierce on this team. He's just as streaky as Barnes and much less athletic. He also seems to be a bit more aggressive on offense and an open door on the defensive end.

If its Pierce or nothing I'd probably just prefer to pass on him at this point in his career.

TheMightyHumph
05-15-2014, 02:10 AM
Pierce is now an unrestricted free agent. KG has 1 more yr worth $12M.

Where do the Nets go with Pierce? Resign him?

Where do the Nets go with KG? Let him play it out, or buy him out, or does he straight out retire?

If Pierce desires, Nets will probably offer him a 2 year contract at at least 9-10 mil per.

Garnett can make $12 mil next season. I believe he will choose to do so.

IKnowHoops
05-15-2014, 02:51 AM

This would be a great scenario for both parties. Barnes and Artest hated Kobe yet they went to play with him and loved him as a teammate. PP is a competitor, so he's gonna hate anyone he goes against. If he would take a Ray type deal, and take Battiers place on the squad, the Heat get so much better. He is still a great shooter and great 3pt shooter. If the Heat are able to win this year and then pick up Pierce, I would say a 4peat is in the bag. That would be a great offense. Not as explosive as the first year. But a perfectly assembled one with a lot of spacing and toughness. He did stick around to dap up the heat after the game so I could see it if Bron, Wade and Bosh all stick together after the season.

TylerSL
05-15-2014, 04:12 AM
If I am Brooklyn I would wait on KG's decision to retire or not to determine my next course of action. It is true that this could have been a different series had Brooklyn had Brook Lopez, but they did not due to another injury. If Garnett decides to play next season as his final year then the Nets need to look to resign Paul Pierce for 1 more year as well. Obviously he would not make 15 million as he did this year, but I would try to get him to play 1 more year with KG. I would then try this experiment for 1 more year hoping Lopez can stay healthy.

If KG decides that he is done then they should let Pierce walk. The Nets are in a terrible position anyway as they used their amnesty on Travis Outlaw (who was only making 4 million :facepalm: ..). They are stuck paying Deron Williams 61 million over the next 3 years, Joe Johnson 48 million over the next 2, and Brook Lopez is gonna make 32.5 million over the next 2 years as well. While Joe Johnson is their best player, he is not worth 24 million a year, Deron Williams has regressed so much it's almost unbelievable, and who knows if Lopez will ever be healthy. No team is gonna give them anything for Joe Johnson or Deron Williams because of their contracts and if they are going to pursue a trade the best they can expect is pure cap relief.

I would say their best course of action would be bring Pierce back 1 more year if KG does not retire and pray Lopez will be healthy next time around. Kidd also has a year under his belt as Head Coach and maybe it will turn out better for them. If KG does retire then you let Pierce walk and since you cannot expect anything in return for trading Johnson or Williams they may as well keep their core of Johnson/Williams/Lopez for the next 2 years until Johnson's contract is up. Lopez's contract will be up as well and if he cannot stay healthy they should let him walk too. 2 years of that core would not bring a title to Brooklyn but they would probably be a playoff team in the East for the next 2 years. This Nets team was just way too expensive, injury prone, and old to realistically win a title. I'm honestly curious to know what this front office was thinking when they traded all their future picks and decided to throw this much money on a team like this....

YoungOne
05-15-2014, 05:35 AM
He aint goin there if Sterling is still at the helm. In fact, no player will go there this summer if the league doesn't do something quick.

fixed

Munkeysuit
05-15-2014, 06:20 AM
They (The Nets) need to resign them, they should not look at this season as a bust losing to the Heat, they should be happy to have gotten this far without their best player (Brook Lopez) Pierce is so valuable to Joe Johnson's growth as a closer, because JJ IS the new Paul Pierce! so I feel like their veteran leadership is more valuable than their on court contribution, it was just fools gold to have thought Pierce and KG would be enough to make up for the loss of Lopez this deep into the playoffs...against the defending Champions mind you.