PDA

View Full Version : Worst melt down of all time?

Miltstar
05-14-2014, 07:59 AM
Ive never seen a great player like CP3 single handedly blow a game like that. Clips fans and even coaches are blaming the refs but it all comes down to poor decision making by Paul, if he doesnt make even one of the 4 or five mistakes he makes down the stretch the Clippers win the game.

Clips fans are blaming the refs, but I really think they need to look beyond those two calls (neither of which were horrible) CP3 flat out blew it... my question is can you think of another game where a player played sooooo poorly down the stretch they basically handed their opponent a game they should have won?

I wouldnt mind checking out some videos. Thanks for the input.

mdm692
05-14-2014, 09:34 AM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pJjeZ4Scm9E

ATX
05-14-2014, 09:40 AM
A meltdown yes...Worst of all time is an overreaction imo.

mightybosstone
05-14-2014, 09:49 AM
I love how everyone is overreacting to a single game. "Worst meltdown of all-time." "Worst fix of all-time." Have you guys been watching basketball for like 2 years or something? When Durant hit that three, with like 3:30 left, they were only down 8 points at that point and they were playing at home. That's not to make any excuses for LAC or for Paul, but let's not pretend like this was some sort of monumental, historic collapse.

Worst meltdown of all-time? Hell, you could argue it wasn't the worst meltdown of THIS SERIES! The Thunder had a double-digit lead entering the fourth quarter of Game 4 and got outscored by 14 in the final period.

All the being said, Paul did not play well at all in those last few possessions. Those two turnovers in those situations were inexcusable. If he holds onto the ball the first time, the Clippers win. If he doesn't turn it over the second time, he's got a good like from about 8 feet out to win the game. It was a poor performance, but let's not throw around ridiculous statements like "worst meltdown of all-time." Ridiculous.

Mishmin
05-14-2014, 10:03 AM
I love how everyone is overreacting to a single game. "Worst meltdown of all-time." "Worst fix of all-time." Have you guys been watching basketball for like 2 years or something? When Durant hit that three, with like 3:30 left, they were only down 8 points at that point and they were playing at home. That's not to make any excuses for LAC or for Paul, but let's not pretend like this was some sort of monumental, historic collapse.

Worst meltdown of all-time? Hell, you could argue it wasn't the worst meltdown of THIS SERIES! The Thunder had a double-digit lead entering the fourth quarter of Game 4 and got outscored by 14 in the final period.

All the being said, Paul did not play well at all in those last few possessions. Those two turnovers in those situations were inexcusable. If he holds onto the ball the first time, the Clippers win. If he doesn't turn it over the second time, he's got a good like from about 8 feet out to win the game. It was a poor performance, but let's not throw around ridiculous statements like "worst meltdown of all-time." Ridiculous.

Don't forget the foul on the 3 pointer. What are you doin out there CP...

Thumper 88
05-14-2014, 10:46 AM
The worst meltdown I can remember is game 2 of the 2011 NBA finals. Dallas comes back from something like 17 down with 8 minutes to go.

Dallas wins 97-95

RaiderLakersA's
05-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Not an all-time meltdown, but you definitely rely on your superstars not being the ones that make the killer mistakes in the closing minutes of a tight game. Sure, the refs sucked, but that quite honestly is the one constant. The refs always suck.

IndyRealist
05-14-2014, 12:13 PM
Saw the thread title, though this was about my Pacers :confused:

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-14-2014, 01:12 PM
Ive never seen a great player like CP3 single handedly blow a game like that. Clips fans and even coaches are blaming the refs but it all comes down to poor decision making by Paul, if he doesnt make even one of the 4 or five mistakes he makes down the stretch the Clippers win the game.

Clips fans are blaming the refs, but I really think they need to look beyond those two calls (neither of which were horrible) CP3 flat out blew it... my question is can you think of another game where a player played sooooo poorly down the stretch they basically handed their opponent a game they should have won?

I wouldnt mind checking out some videos. Thanks for the input.

He choked hard,but let's give wes some credit. He was superclutch.

Cracka2HI!
05-14-2014, 07:07 PM
Horrible meltdown indeed, but those calls were horrible and most everyone knows it. That said the Clipps and mostly CP3 cost themselves the game says this Clipper fan.

OKC
05-14-2014, 07:17 PM
last year nets had a meltdown against the bulls when CJ watson blew a dunk and they gave up like a 15-0 run with nate going nuts and game went to triple OT.
that was such an awesome game.

mzgrizz
05-14-2014, 07:49 PM
Meh, I believe the Grizz might be #1 when they blew a 27 point lead in 2011.

P&GRealist
05-14-2014, 07:52 PM
Worst meltdown is by far game 6 of last yr's finals. Had the championship in the grasps of their hands with 35 seconds to go, and Popovich effed it up with piss poor end game substitutions.

slashsnake
05-14-2014, 07:57 PM
For me Nick Anderson gets it. Finals game 1. ANY free throw gives them a 4 point lead and he misses 4 straight. Kenny Smith hits a three, they go to OT and lose. Nick's career died on those 4 free throws, he was never the same.

Ewing missing the layup in game 7 was huge too. 7' and open at the rim and misses it.

Dirks free throws in the 06 finals.. missing the free throw to tie the game...

Miltstar
05-14-2014, 08:24 PM
Im not saying it was the worst team meltdown of all time. But of an individual player. Especially of Paul's calibre. Ive never seen one player make soooo many crucial mistakes in such an important game. Sorry if the title was misleading

Miltstar
05-14-2014, 08:28 PM
For me Nick Anderson gets it. Finals game 1. ANY free throw gives them a 4 point lead and he misses 4 straight. Kenny Smith hits a three, they go to OT and lose. Nick's career died on those 4 free throws, he was never the same.

Ewing missing the layup in game 7 was huge too. 7' and open at the rim and misses it.

this is the kind of reply I was hoping for... thanks man!

slashsnake
05-14-2014, 11:29 PM
this is the kind of reply I was hoping for... thanks man!

No prob. I had just moved to Brazil for a while when Nick missed those free throws. I actually saw game 7 of the ECF that year vs. the Pacers as my going away present from some friends.

Loved watching that team play. Penny was my favorite player, but Shaq, Nick, Dennis Scott, Horace Grant, Brian Shaw, Royal, Bowie, Turner an ancient Tree Rollins... Lots of fun.

Here's Ewings...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq3nvSyuWEg

_Gmen_
05-14-2014, 11:34 PM
How did he melt down? I thought he just choked...

Miltstar
05-15-2014, 09:30 AM
No prob. I had just moved to Brazil for a while when Nick missed those free throws. I actually saw game 7 of the ECF that year vs. the Pacers as my going away present from some friends.

Loved watching that team play. Penny was my favorite player, but Shaq, Nick, Dennis Scott, Horace Grant, Brian Shaw, Royal, Bowie, Turner an ancient Tree Rollins... Lots of fun.

Here's Ewings...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq3nvSyuWEg

That was a great team, it's a shame Penny broke down and Shaq left although Im sure not for laker fans!

slashsnake
05-15-2014, 11:21 AM
That was a great team, it's a shame Penny broke down and Shaq left although Im sure not for laker fans!

Yeah I was pretty psyched about them back then. I miss young Shaq. I think a lot of us are going to remember him as the plodding 350 lb guy with bad knees he was his last 5+ years, and not the Orlando/early LA version who'd lead fastbreaks, dunk on all the great shotblockers, rip down backboards and was just a great athlete.

Chronz
05-15-2014, 11:46 AM
Magic Johnson says hello

KnicksorBust
05-15-2014, 02:44 PM

My first thought was Nick Anderson as well. He went from being like a 70% to a 40% free throw shooter because he was so messed up in the head after that series.

goingfor28
05-15-2014, 03:30 PM
Meh, I believe the Grizz might be #1 when they blew a 27 point lead in 2011.

That was insane.

slashsnake
05-15-2014, 04:01 PM
My first thought was Nick Anderson as well. He went from being like a 70% to a 40% free throw shooter because he was so messed up in the head after that series.

I hated seeing that. Guy had so much skill. Slam dunk competitor early in his career, 3pt shot competitor a bit later. Had one of those great all around games, good defender and rebounder, nice post game too for a guard.

Kinda reminded me of a bigger eddie Jones who I also really liked. Anyways yeah, meltdown for sure. You know what that reminds me of. I'd said I couldn't think of anyone who had a drastic change like Roy Hibbert... Nick Anderson had those kinds of swings after that finals.