PDA

View Full Version : Doc Rivers PISSED OFF in postgame interview....

Jasper6
05-14-2014, 06:48 AM
The Clippers really did get robbed, you've got to feel bad for Rivers, he never usually goes off like this but this was a clear robbery and everyone knows it, this may have cost the Clips their season.

http://www.balldontstop.com/doc-rivers-furious-postgame-interview-got-robbed/

JC_
05-14-2014, 07:10 AM
The sad thing is, it already happened. What can the NBA do to make it right? Nothing. Doc will get fined (hopefully not that much) and the officials will continue to suck. Best case scenario would probably be if Silver came out and said the officials were being penalized.

ghettosean
05-14-2014, 07:37 AM
I guess they want an OKC vs Spurs western conference finals. Also Doc should be pissed cause that looked super rigged.

Method28
05-14-2014, 07:41 AM
The sad thing is, it already happened. What can the NBA do to make it right? Nothing. Doc will get fined (hopefully not that much) and the officials will continue to suck. Best case scenario would probably be if Silver came out and said the officials were being penalized.

They could start by firing those refs not penalizing them. Ppl get fired for errors all the time. This was a HUGE game that they had waaaayyy too much say in.

Heediot
05-14-2014, 07:57 AM
For me, that was the last straw. I know it's hard for people to let go of the nba, but I will not support a league/establishment that is dishonest and untrustworthy. They rake in Billions each year, and they know there are plenty of sheep that are addicted to the nba and have attachments toward elements of competition, so they will do as they please because they know others cannot let go of their attachment and or addiction. Same with the NFL, people keep on complaining about Goodel and his rule changes and his agenda in protecting the leagues bottom line, yet they still flock to the games, buy merchandise, watch on tv. That is why these leagues are filthy rich.The refs in the NFL are also piss poor and instinctively I feel they are trying to cover spreads for the gambling establishment. I am quitting both leagues at the same time. The more we let things slide because of our subconscious tendencies and need for deep rooted gratification the more these guys will laugh to the bank.

There comes a point when one has to make a stand given what that individual knows.

Lo Porto
05-14-2014, 08:09 AM
People keep saying how exciting the playoffs have been this year when the main thing I see has been the blatant rigging of games by the NBA.

The way Indiana was given games in that series against Atlanta was pathetic. The way that all 5 round 1 game 7's went to the team that would provide the league with the most round 2 revenue.

Last night is just unacceptable. The free throw disparity. The bogus fouls called on LA in the first half so OKC could come back. Then the call at the end. So rigged its funny. We get it NBA, you want OKC to advance past Memphis and LA......

J4KOP99
05-14-2014, 08:13 AM
Typical doc. Didnt hear **** from him in the 2008 finals after game 2. Wonder why?

Maybe call a to and try to settle down your pg. He looked shook.

And how come none of you are extremely pissed at the refs for missing the blatant foul on Barnes in the first place that caused the out of bounds?

JC_
05-14-2014, 08:15 AM
They could start by firing those refs not penalizing them. Ppl get fired for errors all the time. This was a HUGE game that they had waaaayyy too much say in.

I totally agree but where do they find refs to replace the ones they fire? The reason these guys are refs in the first place is because they are loyal to the league. They follow instructions that are given by the league and with the exception of Donaghy, they don't cause trouble.

JC_
05-14-2014, 08:20 AM
And how come none of you are extremely pissed at the refs for missing the blatant foul on Barnes in the first place that caused the out of bounds?

It's easy, they didn't call the foul; they called it out of bounds. If they had called a foul, people would be way less pissed off because it was a viable call. What isn't viable is calling it out of bounds and then giving the ball to the team it was off of after reviewing the replay. It's shady as ****.

mightybosstone
05-14-2014, 08:41 AM
I have to agree with Doc on this one. If that's how the replay system is going to work, then let's take away replay. Personally, I'd much rather give the officials the ability to make the foul call on Barnes there. I realize that the league has never allowed officials to make a foul call after the fact, but it's completely ridiculous to me that we have this replay system implemented that gives the officials the ability to make up a poor call with another poor call. Just let them make the foul call after the fact and be done with it.

If the referees had been able to call a foul on that play, Doc couldn't have been pissed off by the call regardless of the outcome of the game.

J4KOP99
05-14-2014, 08:48 AM
"If that's how the replay system is going to work..."

It's not as if last night was the first time refs were allowed to use instant replay. You know that, right?

mightybosstone
05-14-2014, 08:52 AM
"If that's how the replay system is going to work..."

It's not as if last night was the first time refs were allowed to use instant replay. You know that, right?

You're totally missing the point of what Doc was trying to say. He's not debating that this is the first time the replay system was used. He's debating that the system is inherently broken. And I tend to agree with him if those are the calls we're going to get at the end of close playoff games. Since it doesn't allow referees to make the correct foul call that they initially missed, replays like that allow they to call make-up calls and give the ball to the opposing team. It's totally ridiculous, because everyone in the stadium and watching at home knew it should have been the Clippers' ball under the current system, but the referees did the exact opposite. It's a flawed system that needs to be fixed.

JC_
05-14-2014, 08:54 AM
Personally, I'd much rather give the officials the ability to make the foul call on Barnes there. I realize that the league has never allowed officials to make a foul call after the fact, but it's completely ridiculous to me that we have this replay system implemented that gives the officials the ability to make up a poor call with another poor call. Just let them make the foul call after the fact and be done with it.

If the referees had been able to call a foul on that play, Doc couldn't have been pissed off by the call regardless of the outcome of the game.

Yep. I can't remember another time when the out of bounds replay was this clear and they didn't call it how it was shown.

I'm not sure if being able to call a foul after the fact will help the game though. The officials would be making even more sketchy calls because if you can replay everything, how much contact will constitute a foul? Refs would be deciding on a case by case basis and I'm guessing it will hurt the game even more.

shauneazy
05-14-2014, 08:55 AM
The NBA is joke.

mightybosstone
05-14-2014, 09:04 AM
Yep. I can't remember another time when the out of bounds replay was this clear and they didn't call it how it was shown.

I'm not sure if being able to call a foul after the fact will help the game though. The officials would be making even more sketchy calls because if you can replay everything, how much contact will constitute a foul? Refs would be deciding on a case by case basis and I'm guessing it will hurt the game even more.

The replay system is only implemented on certain plays and within the final two minutes of regulation and all overtime. So even if they did let officials go back and make a foul call, they wouldn't be allowed to do it in just any old situation. Assuming that's the one tweak they made to the rule, they could only fix fouls on plays that go out of bounds. Hell, they're already allowed to review clear-path violations, fouls at the end of periods, flagrant fouls, restricted area calls and goaltending calls. Why not allow them one more chance to get a foul call correct?

Source: http://mediacentral.nba.com/media/mediacentral/NBA-Instant-Replay-Situations.pdf

SeoulBeatz
05-14-2014, 09:13 AM
Hmmm I missed the game last night, but if we're being completely objective about the Reggie Jackson play, it should have been a foul on Matt Barnes (with Jackson getting 2 ft's).

I don't get how people are crying about the ball being out on Jackson when Barnes fouled him BEFORE the ball went out of bounds.

Just look at the tape!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEIwyT0zN4I

That's all hand. The guy who got fouled in the first place got the ball back. I don't see anything wrong with that.

And on the Westbrook 3, there's a picture where Paul's hand is clearly on Westbrook's forearm as he's rising up for the shot. It was a touch foul, but a foul nonetheless and I've seen worse calls.

Now I'm all for conspiracy theories in the NBA (Kings-Lakers '02 series still bothers me) but I think people are going way overboard with this one (and the Ibaka play)

The Clips are responsible for their own demise. They had a big lead with 3 mins left and they blew it. It should have never come down to questionable calls in the first place.

mightybosstone
05-14-2014, 09:27 AM
Hmmm I missed the game last night, but if we're being completely objective about the Reggie Jackson play, it should have been a foul on Matt Barnes (with Jackson getting 2 ft's).

I don't get how people are crying about the ball being out on Jackson when Barnes fouled him BEFORE the ball went out of bounds.

Just look at the tape!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEIwyT0zN4I

That's all hand. The guy who got fouled in the first place got the ball back. I don't see anything wrong with that.

And on the Westbrook 3, there's a picture where Paul's hand is clearly on Westbrook's forearm as he's rising up for the shot. It was a touch foul, but a foul nonetheless and I've seen worse calls.

Now I'm all for conspiracy theories in the NBA (Kings-Lakers '02 series still bothers me) but I think people are going way overboard with this one (and the Ibaka play)

The Clips are responsible for their own demise. They had a big lead with 3 mins left and they blew it. It should have never come down to questionable calls in the first place.

No one (including Doc) is saying that it wasn't a foul on Barnes. We're saying that the system is broken because it should have been a foul on Barnes. But since it wasn't and the refs can't make that call after the fact, it was clearly out on Jackson and not on Barnes. The refs blew a call and then followed that up by blowing the call again. It's a flawed system, but until somebody fixes it, these make-up calls are just going to continue to make the refs look sketchy as hell.

JC_
05-14-2014, 09:27 AM
The replay system is only implemented on certain plays and within the final two minutes of regulation and all overtime. So even if they did let officials go back and make a foul call, they wouldn't be allowed to do it in just any old situation. Assuming that's the one tweak they made to the rule, they could only fix fouls on plays that go out of bounds. Hell, they're already allowed to review clear-path violations, fouls at the end of periods, flagrant fouls, restricted area calls and goaltending calls. Why not allow them one more chance to get a foul call correct?

Source: http://mediacentral.nba.com/media/mediacentral/NBA-Instant-Replay-Situations.pdf

Yeah, I wasn't clear in my post; I meant under 2 min. I guess it wouldn't be that bad if implemented but it will suck when guys start fouling out because of slight contact that caused the ball to go out of bounds.

MonroeFAN
05-14-2014, 09:32 AM
This just seems like a make up call, not sure what Clip nation is so upset about. The system is not flawed, the ref made a mistake and then made up the mistake.

Unless I'm missing something here.

ATX
05-14-2014, 09:33 AM
I agree that the Clippers blew that one, and especially Chris Paul. I have no problem with the touch foul by Paul on Westbrook. The point Doc was making and mightybosstone is that a foul wasn't called on Barnes, that is not reviewable...What was reviewable was who the ball went off of and that clearly was Jackson not Barnes and in that respect the Clippers got shafted and therefore I can completely share sympathy with Doc on that one. How do you go to replay and not correct the call? Isn't that the whole point of adding the replay system? I hate how it's slowing the game down, and if they are going to do this and ruin the flow of the game, at least be consistent and get the call right.

mightybosstone
05-14-2014, 09:35 AM
This just seems like a make up call, not sure what Clip nation is so upset about. The system is not flawed, the ref made a mistake and then made up the mistake.

No, you're exactly right. But the idea of the "make-up" call in the first place is totally ********. Instant replay should have been implemented to make sure things like make-up calls aren't necessary in the first place, because the very idea of make-up calls makes fans seriously question the validity of NBA officiating. Refs shouldn't be allowed to fix a bad call by making another bad call. They should make the right call the first time, and if they can't do that, they should be allowed to make the right call via instant replay. In this case, they should have been allowed to see the replay, call the foul on Barnes and give Jackson two free throws.

Have you ever heard the phrase "Two wrongs don't make a right?" Same exact concept here.

ATX
05-14-2014, 09:36 AM

The refs can make up the bad call by making another bad call (not that it's right, but it happens all the time), but not when you go to replay...They need to get that right, and they didn't. That's the problem Doc is pointing out. What then is the point of replay?

Iron24th
05-14-2014, 09:38 AM
doc is a loser, we haven't heard of him when CP3 was allowed to make all his non called fouls on curry, westy and durant, payback time.

GiantsSwaGG
05-14-2014, 09:40 AM
Rigged?

mightybosstone
05-14-2014, 09:50 AM
doc is a loser, we haven't heard of him when CP3 was allowed to make all his non called fouls on curry, westy and durant, payback time.

This is a classy response. Way to stay on topic. ;)

SeoulBeatz
05-14-2014, 09:55 AM
No one (including Doc) is saying that it wasn't a foul on Barnes. We're saying that the system is broken because it should have been a foul on Barnes. But since it wasn't and the refs can't make that call after the fact, it was clearly out on Jackson and not on Barnes. The refs blew a call and then followed that up by blowing the call again. It's a flawed system, but until somebody fixes it, these make-up calls are just going to continue to make the refs look sketchy as hell.

Agreed, but this happens all the time in the NBA:

-Someone gets fouled going up for a shot and the ball obviously goes off of that player.

-Refs miss the initial foul call but reward the ball to the fouled player's team anyways to make up for it.

I've seen it too many times to count. Doesn't make it right, but this isn't the first time this has happened.

I just think that instead of focusing on this one call (that if called correctly in the first place, would have been Thunder ball anyway) the blame should be placed on the Clippers for losing such a big lead with 4 mins left.

It should have never come down to questionable calls.

mightybosstone
05-14-2014, 10:12 AM

-Someone gets fouled going up for a shot and the ball obviously goes off of that player.

-Refs miss the initial foul call but reward the ball to the fouled player's team anyways to make up for it.

I've seen it too many times to count. Doesn't make it right, but this isn't the first time this has happened.

I just think that instead of focusing on this one call (that if called correctly in the first place, would have been Thunder ball anyway) the blame should be placed on the Clippers for losing such a big lead with 4 mins left.

It should have never come down to questionable calls.

No question the Clippers should take 99.9% of the blame for losing that loss. If you have a double-digit lead with 4 minutes left, you should likely win. If you're up by 7 with 40 seconds left, you should definitely win. They did everything in their power to lose that game, and OKC did everything in their power to win it.

But Doc does have a great point about the broken replay system and that's all I'm trying to address here.

MonroeFAN
05-14-2014, 10:21 AM
Ok, "after the replay" was the key-phrase I was missing out on here.

Hard to disagree.

JC_
05-14-2014, 10:34 AM

That all changes when it gets to under 2 min and they use the replay. It's a pretty new system and kind of unfair but when they review the replay after calling it out of bounds instead of calling a foul, they give the ball to the team that didn't touch it last.

SeoulBeatz
05-14-2014, 10:53 AM
That all changes when it gets to under 2 min and they use the replay. It's a pretty new system and kind of unfair but when they review the replay after calling it out of bounds instead of calling a foul, they give the ball to the team that didn't touch it last.

True.

I guess the way I see it is the team that should've have gotten the ball in the first place, got it. The refs missed the foul on Barnes, then they made up for that when they reviewed the replay (obviously foregoing the rulebook).

I don't know, because if the refs ended up overturning the out of bounds call and the Clips won, I imagine there would be a bit of an uproar about the missed Barnes foul instead.

Ese Vato Loco
05-14-2014, 10:58 AM
looked to me like a foul. he should of taken free throws instead of inbounding the ball. it looked like okc got ****ed by not shooting free throws and having to inbound the ball .............but, they got bailed out by a cp3 foul on the 3 line.

mightybosstone
05-14-2014, 11:47 AM
I guess the way I see it is the team that should've have gotten the ball in the first place, got it. The refs missed the foul on Barnes, then they made up for that when they reviewed the replay (obviously foregoing the rulebook).
I agree that OKC should have gotten the ball because it should have been a foul in the first place, but that's kind of a moot point. It's not about the first missed call that was made in real time after a crazy turn of events that anyone could have missed. It's about the blatantly missed call that was so obvious looking at the replay and that the refs had all the time in the world to get right.

I don't know, because if the refs ended up overturning the out of bounds call and the Clips won, I imagine there would be a bit of an uproar about the missed Barnes foul instead.
I disagree, because it would have been the right call. I don't think you can blame a ref for not calling a touch foul on Barnes on a crazy play that no one had a great angle on in real time. That's a fast play, and in the heat of the moment, it's hard to make that call if you can't tell whether he hits Jackson's hand or gets all ball. But they COULD tell it was obviously out on Jackson in the replay, which they had a ton of time to review.

Again, this could all be avoided if the refs were allowed to review the play and call a foul on Barnes. Then OKC gets their free throws and the Clippers can't complain about a terrible call screwing them over.

Meaze_Gibson
05-14-2014, 12:30 PM
According to the NBA Rules the correct team was awarded the ball anyway

"Rule 8 Section II - c of the NBA rulebook states:

If a player has his hand in contact with the ball and an opponent hits the hand causing the ball to go out-of-bounds, the team whose player had his hand on the ball will retain possession."

Likewise I also found the video inconclusive because though you could not conclusively tell if the ball hit back off of Jackson's hand, You could not conclude that barnes hit all hand and without hitting the ball." And for basketball fans, the correct team got the ball anyway. DOc was reaching on this one. Own up to your mistakes don't put them on somebody else.

t0nyg11
05-14-2014, 12:52 PM
I have to agree with Doc on this one. If that's how the replay system is going to work, then let's take away replay. Personally, I'd much rather give the officials the ability to make the foul call on Barnes there. I realize that the league has never allowed officials to make a foul call after the fact, but it's completely ridiculous to me that we have this replay system implemented that gives the officials the ability to make up a poor call with another poor call. Just let them make the foul call after the fact and be done with it.

The refs got the call right though. The official rule is as follows:

Rule 8 Section II - c of the NBA rulebook:

If a player has his hands in contact with the ball and an opponent hits his hand causing the ball to go out-of-bounds, the team whose player had his hand on the ball will retain possession.

You cannot argue that Matt Barnes did not hit Reggie Jackson's hand causing the ball to go out of bounds. I think it was a good call.

WestCoastSportz
05-14-2014, 01:13 PM
I have tons of respect for Doc Rivers, but he sounded like a big baby after the game. Jamal Crawford was getting the BS foul calls all series and even in the previous games against the Warriors. The guy shoots a 3 and hits the ground like he was hit when the defender didn't even touch him. He shoots a jumper and jumps right into a defender that is 3 feet away that is just standing there and gets the call.

How about the fact that your best player turned the ball over 3 times in the last 2 minutes and made a bonehead foul to put Westbrook on the line for 3 free throws that ultimately was the deciding factor. How about your team giving up a big lead? There were a lot of reasons why the Clippers lost and it wasn't that controversial call, because Jackson should of been on the free throw line. Bottom line is, his team got outplayed in the in the final 3 minutes of that game. Plain and simple.

SiteWolf
05-14-2014, 01:43 PM
For Rivers to act as he did was absolutely ridiculous........the call was made, the play was reviewed, you don't like it fine but move on. But no, he spent his energy the rest of the game glaring at the officials instead of game planning to recover from what he believed was a blown call.........after all, if Paul doesn't lose the ball at the end or even foul the guy after he lost the ball, the Clippers may still win the game.

And NO clue what would possess Rivers to yell at the Thunder owner

I got sick of people acting like we should be sympathetic towards the Clippers over the whole Sterling thing....like every one of them were unaware what he was before they signed contracts to be there...but with this? I hope the Thunder close it out in 6

5ass
05-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Tony brother's excuse was basically they were too lazy to look at more than two angles.

Bruno
05-14-2014, 02:32 PM
Typical doc. Didnt hear **** from him in the 2008 finals after game 2. Wonder why?

Maybe call a to and try to settle down your pg. He looked shook.

:laugh2: :hi5:

or the fact that they were given a gift by reggie jackson. bonehead tried to take it himself when he had KD sitting right under the basket. OKC wins that game in OT with DeAndre fouled out in their own building.

how about Doc owning up to a 13 point collapse in the final 3 minutes. how about taking some responsibility/giving credit?. he likes playing the martyr.

Bruno
05-14-2014, 02:35 PM
You're totally missing the point of what Doc was trying to say. He's not debating that this is the first time the replay system was used. He's debating that the system is inherently broken. And I tend to agree with him if those are the calls we're going to get at the end of close playoff games. Since it doesn't allow referees to make the correct foul call that they initially missed, replays like that allow they to call make-up calls and give the ball to the opposing team. It's totally ridiculous, because everyone in the stadium and watching at home knew it should have been the Clippers' ball under the current system, but the referees did the exact opposite. It's a flawed system that needs to be fixed.

the NBA needs to fix this. if the refs have this authority they just call a foul on Barnes for hammering jackson and he goes to the line. instead, here we are talking about a rigged game.

P&GRealist
05-14-2014, 02:46 PM
It was a bad call by the refs, plain and simple, but they also missed the foul, but on the other hand Reggie Jackson exaggerated and flopped and on principle didn't deserve to get that call.

This new sissified version of the NBA absolutely SUCKS!!!

ThuglifeJ
05-14-2014, 04:10 PM
For me, that was the last straw. I know it's hard for people to let go of the nba, but I will not support a league/establishment that is dishonest and untrustworthy. They rake in Billions each year, and they know there are plenty of sheep that are addicted to the nba and have attachments toward elements of competition, so they will do as they please because they know others cannot let go of their attachment and or addiction. Same with the NFL, people keep on complaining about Goodel and his rule changes and his agenda in protecting the leagues bottom line, yet they still flock to the games, buy merchandise, watch on tv. That is why these leagues are filthy rich.The refs in the NFL are also piss poor and instinctively I feel they are trying to cover spreads for the gambling establishment. I am quitting both leagues at the same time. The more we let things slide because of our subconscious tendencies and need for deep rooted gratification the more these guys will laugh to the bank.

There comes a point when one has to make a stand given what that individual knows.

Thing is, the league won't connect deteriorating profits/viewers with fans not believing the NBA is trustworthy, honest, etc ...in fact they will probably believe they need to rig it MORE in order to get game 7s everytime and Lebron/kd fake storylines/ finals. That's the sad thing. They only see $ and dont think ppl actually care about the sport, just the merchandise and storylines.

ThuglifeJ
05-14-2014, 04:12 PM
If they start losing money they'll think we need MORE lebron. We need MORE Durant .

Its stupid

NBA_Starter
05-14-2014, 04:30 PM
Rightfully so, either expand replay or get rid of it altogether!

JasonJohnHorn
05-14-2014, 04:35 PM
One call doesn't make the difference in a game. It might have just as easily been a foul the other way.

The bottom line is that if a team doesn't have the game put away with a minute to go, they put themselves in the situation to let the game ride on a coin-toss-call like that.

Unless of course ALL the calls were bad, but that is a different story.

People get upset when this happens at the end of a game, but nobody cares if it happens in the first quarter, when at the end of the day, it's all the same thing. Chris Paul going 6/16 and Crawford going 7/22 is a bigger problem than that call.

If I were Doc, I'd be reaming out Crawford first. Also, Matt Barnes had 4 turnovers to 2 assists.... that's an issue as well.

Jasper6
05-14-2014, 04:45 PM
Agreed. Some will agree with you and some just won't understand it, but you are right....the NBA is def fixed.

slashsnake
05-14-2014, 04:52 PM
Rightfully so, either expand replay or get rid of it altogether!

I don't know if they will ever get it perfect, but I will take better over not having it.

As for the call the refs made (no foul, inconclusive review). I wasn't happy with how they got to their decision, but the decision itself was the right one. You hit the guys hand and cause him to lose the ball out of bounds, it remains in his posession whether or not he last touched the ball. Flub by the refs, but the ended up with the right decision

PatsSoxKnicks
05-14-2014, 05:03 PM
:laugh2: :hi5:

or the fact that they were given a gift by reggie jackson. bonehead tried to take it himself when he had KD sitting right under the basket. OKC wins that game in OT with DeAndre fouled out in their own building.

how about Doc owning up to a 13 point collapse in the final 3 minutes. how about taking some responsibility/giving credit?. he likes playing the martyr.

At least it goes to OT....That's something a lot of people are forgetting I think. Yes, it was a make up call and maybe you don't mind make up calls BUT THAT MAKE UP CALL DIRECTLY LED TO 1 ADDITIONAL POINT because instead of Reggie Jackson shooting a pair of FTs and the game going to OT, the game ends in regulation because OKC gets 3 points instead of 2.

Also, for those claiming it to be rigged, please shut up. It makes no sense because what exactly does the NBA have to gain if the SMALL market Thunder beat the Clippers, who themselves have two huge stars in Blake and CP3. Bottom line, if either one of these teams win, it's really good for the NBA because they have a pair of stars who they can advertise (CP3 and Blake for LA and Durant and Westbrook for OKC). Additionally, you would think having the LA market in the conference finals would be beneficial.

But forget all of that, why not just extend the game to OT and MAKE EVEN MORE MONEY? The refs could've done that by going back and calling the foul on Reggie Jackson, therefore tying the game and sending it to OT, where they would presumably make more money. There's just a lot of things that don't make sense about the idea of rigging a game for a small market team against a larger market team who has just as marketable stars as the small market team. What does the NBA have to gain? Ultimately, they want a great finals which will get them the most money- how does LA prevent that?

Ultimately, I think these refs made a mistake on not calling the foul and they thought they had to make up for it. Of course, there idea of making up for it ended up meaning the game ended in regulation rather than going to OT like it should have. Maybe OKC does win in OT but at least the Clippers have a CHANCE.

Vinylman
05-14-2014, 05:06 PM
Doc being an excuse making ***** as usual... Can't wait for his offseason interview telling us how hard it was due to all the Sterling turmoil (feeble minded people will always be feeble minded).

ANYWAY... the real travesty on the play was that an immediate foul wasn't called on CP3 when he turned the ball over... he wacks Westbrook... of course, he then wacks Jackson before the out of bounds play...

I guess the Clippers get three free fouls AND Doc gets to act like a *****...

great leadership Doc... its why you haven't won **** without Thibs

Bruno
05-14-2014, 05:07 PM
At least it goes to OT....That's something a lot of people are forgetting I think. Yes, it was a make up call and maybe you don't mind make up calls BUT THAT MAKE UP CALL DIRECTLY LED TO 1 ADDITIONAL POINT because instead of Reggie Jackson shooting a pair of FTs and the game going to OT, the game ends in regulation because OKC gets 3 points instead of 2.

Also, for those claiming it to be rigged, please shut up. It makes no sense because what exactly does the NBA have to gain if the SMALL market Thunder beat the Clippers, who themselves have two huge stars in Blake and CP3. Bottom line, if either one of these teams win, it's really good for the NBA because they have a pair of stars who they can advertise (CP3 and Blake for LA and Durant and Westbrook for OKC). Additionally, you would think having the LA market in the conference finals would be beneficial.

But forget all of that, why not just extend the game to OT and MAKE EVEN MORE MONEY? The refs could've done that by going back and calling the foul on Reggie Jackson, therefore tying the game and sending it to OT, where they would presumably make more money. There's just a lot of things that don't make sense about the idea of rigging a game for a small market team against a larger market team who has just as marketable stars as the small market team. What does the NBA have to gain? Ultimately, they want a great finals which will get them the most money- how does LA prevent that?

Ultimately, I think these refs made a mistake on not calling the foul and they thought they had to make up for it. Of course, there idea of making up for it ended up meaning the game ended in regulation rather than going to OT like it should have. Maybe OKC does win in OT but at least the Clippers have a CHANCE.
i feel ya. this is just a screwed situation. tough situation. i just absolutely hate how this is making everyone talk about rigged basketball. so many things led to the outcome of this game, not just one cluster-mess of a play.

but I sure as hell agree that this officiating crew was not the team that should have been selected for such an important game five. poor job by the league office selecting this specific team of refs for this specific game. did you see simmons twitter? he called this.

NBA has to expand the rights of the officials during replay. if were going to break the flow of the game, give the refs the authority to call a foul after reviewing replay. its a easy fix, the flow of the game is already compromised with the current system, lets at least get the calls correct.

Iron24th
05-14-2014, 05:11 PM
This is a classy response. Way to stay on topic. ;)

You're welcome :eyebrow:

PatsSoxKnicks
05-14-2014, 05:17 PM
i feel ya. this is just a screwed situation. tough situation. i just absolutely hate how this is making everyone talk about rigged basketball. so many things led to the outcome of this game, not just one cluster-mess of a play.

but I sure as hell agree that this officiating crew was not the team that should have been selected for such an important game five. poor job by the league office selecting this specific team of refs for this specific game. did you see simmons twitter? he called this.

NBA has to expand the rights of the officials during replay. if were going to break the flow of the game, give the refs the authority to call a foul after reviewing replay. its a easy fix, the flow of the game is already compromised with the current system, lets at least get the calls correct.

No, will have to check out Simmons twitter. But agreed with everything said here. I also think they should allow refs to change calls based off replay. Admittedly, I think some of these refs are horrible (and if you look at the age of some of them- how can they not be? Am I wrong to be wondering how an 80 year old official can see a basketball game in real time and not make mistake after mistake? I understand you need experience but at the same time, no one has the same eyes when they are 80 years old versus 20) but the least you can do is allow some of these refs the chance to make up for their bad calls. Otherwise, what is the point of replay? And the thing is, some of these calls become so clear to the viewers at home who get to see that replay but it's an entirely different animal to watch it in real time with the stakes raised like they are. I think it's natural to expect some mistakes from refs, so let them correct their mistakes without compromising the integrity by making a "make-up" call

Clippersfan86
05-14-2014, 05:28 PM
No question the Clippers should take 99.9% of the blame for losing that loss. If you have a double-digit lead with 4 minutes left, you should likely win. If you're up by 7 with 40 seconds left, you should definitely win. They did everything in their power to lose that game, and OKC did everything in their power to win it.

But Doc does have a great point about the broken replay system and that's all I'm trying to address here.

This isn't an attack... but you and most in this thread don't seem to have watched the game before giving these opinions. It was more than one fu**ing play. Take this play out of the picture and refs STILL thoroughly raped the Clippers in the ***.

1. Westbrook goes for intentional foul on inbounds... and hits CP3 pretty hard, no foul call.. leads to a Kevin Durant layup on a 3 on 1 break. Sure CP3 shouldn't of idiotically jumped to try to shoot 3 free throws, but a TON of contact nonetheless.

2. The next play Westbrook pulls up from 30 and barely gets grazed, of course refs give them that one.

3. CP3 gets his arm yanked by Jackson to end the game, losing the ball. Sure it was a dumb play by him period, but if you're going to give Westbrook a game saving foul call, how are you going to ignore it on the other end?

Now... this doesn't account for the fact that ALL GAME Clippers were getting ****ed. OKC had 17 free throws in the first quarter, 25 by halftime. The Clippers had 20 ALL FU**ING GAME! Our entire starting 5 sans Redick was in foul trouble at some point, only Ibaka was for OKC. DJ fouled out in 19minutes yet again due to ******** calls on flopping OKC players on his screens.

Why have Griffin+CP3 been in foul trouble every single game but Durant and Westbrook haven't one time? It's clearly severely biased reffing and I'm fu**ing tired of it. You mention the Clippers melting down and I agree... it was a combination of a "comedy" of errors AND atrocious reffing. That being said... like Doc said... mistakes or not we SHOULD have won the fu**ing game if not for a string of laughably atrocious bad calls by refs.

Clippersfan86
05-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Is it appropriate for Tony Brothers to be chatting up and hugging on Durant's mother pregame? This is an abomination.

Vinylman
05-14-2014, 05:35 PM
One thing is for sure... last nights Clippers loss had nothing to do with DeAndre Jordan... He has been beasting

NBA_Starter
05-14-2014, 05:36 PM
Is it appropriate for Tony Brothers to be chatting up and hugging on Durant's mother pregame? This is an abomination.

It is not appropriate for any ref to be hugging any players (from any teams) family.

Clippersfan86
05-14-2014, 05:37 PM
It is not appropriate for any ref to be hugging any players (from any teams) family.

Well it happened. I even commented on it before the game started. Tony Brothers, the lead official.... was chatting up and hugging on Durant's mom. I said something like "Great... Tony Brothers hugging up on Durant's mom, we are really fu**ed". Little did I know how true those words would ring.

Bruno
05-14-2014, 05:39 PM

i'd be real pissed about this too. clipper fans have a gripe for sure, so long as they also acknowledge that the clippers help the refs in assisting OKC to victory. you did that and I take no issue with your post, I agree with most of it. but i'm also critical of Doc rivers. :shrug:

Bruno
05-14-2014, 05:41 PM
No, will have to check out Simmons twitter. But agreed with everything said here. I also think they should allow refs to change calls based off replay. Admittedly, I think some of these refs are horrible (and if you look at the age of some of them- how can they not be? Am I wrong to be wondering how an 80 year old official can see a basketball game in real time and not make mistake after mistake? I understand you need experience but at the same time, no one has the same eyes when they are 80 years old versus 20) but the least you can do is allow some of these refs the chance to make up for their bad calls. Otherwise, what is the point of replay? And the thing is, some of these calls become so clear to the viewers at home who get to see that replay but it's an entirely different animal to watch it in real time with the stakes raised like they are. I think it's natural to expect some mistakes from refs, so let them correct their mistakes without compromising the integrity by making a "make-up" call
i agree, they need to be given the authority to change the call upon review.

and i don't think the three refs on the floor should be the ones reviewing. every single playoff game should have to refs in booth. they are 100% responsible for all replay, they do it better, faster, stronger with more competence. lets not use the floor refs, the pressure is already high enough for them. five ref officiating crew is what the NBA needs. three on the floor, two in a supervised, televised booth. lets make the refs in the booth booth specialists, and keep the separate from the floor? fishing for ideas here, because the current system needs to be altered.

Clippersfan86
05-14-2014, 05:45 PM
i'd be real pissed about this too. clipper fans have a gripe for sure, so long as they also acknowledge that the clippers help the refs in assisting OKC to victory. you did that and I take no issue with your post, I agree with most of it. but i'm also critical of Doc rivers. :shrug:

Absolutely. Bad play was a big part of it. Thing is... it should have been one of those "ugly" wins... rather than a loss that essentially was decided in the last 50 seconds by laughable calls. Clippers players deserve blame for trying to milk the clock, instead of pushing it.

Bruno
05-14-2014, 05:52 PM
Absolutely. Bad play was a big part of it. Thing is... it should have been one of those "ugly" wins... rather than a loss that essentially was decided in the last 50 seconds by laughable calls. Clippers players deserve blame for trying to milk the clock, instead of pushing it.

i feel ya. honestly, nobody wins here. it will go down as a tainted victory in a series where both teams are good enough to deserve to advance.

thats why the league has to adjust replay and the authority of the official under replay. only legitimate argument against replay is that it breaks the rhythm of the game. our rhythm is already compromised with the current system, lets adjust the authority so we can at least get the right call if were going to impact the flow of the game.

I also think a lot of those calls against DeAndre were pathetic. but he's got to do a better job of not putting himself in position to rack up touch fouls, he's too important.

Clippersfan86
05-14-2014, 05:58 PM
i feel ya. honestly, nobody wins here. it will go down as a tainted victory in a series where both teams are good enough to deserve to advance.

thats why the league has to adjust replay and the authority of the official under replay. only legitimate argument against replay is that it breaks the rhythm of the game. our rhythm is already compromised with the current system, lets adjust the authority so we can at least get the right call if were going to impact the flow of the game.

I also think a lot of those calls against DeAndre were pathetic. but he's got to do a better job of not putting himself in position to rack up touch fouls, he's too important.

DJ is getting *** fu**ed this series. I'm watching Perkins and Ibaka hit him and shove him, yank him etc all series with no fouls. But DJ is getting called by offensive fouls CONSTANTLY on screens that aren't even illegal usually. Westbrook and Durant have gotten really good at charging full speed into a screening DJ and flopping to the floor. If I had to guess, half of DJ's fouls this series are on the offensive end.

I agree changes need to be made regarding the replay system. They SHOULD be able to correct calls too. Reggie Jackson flopped, but should of been given a foul call on the play. Also refs should of been able to review that Paul was fouled twice on the last two turnovers. Like Doc said, either make it better and more detailed, or remove it all together. Enough of this half ***, pointless replay stuff.

PatsSoxKnicks
05-14-2014, 06:03 PM
i agree, they need to be given the authority to change the call upon review.

and i don't think the three refs on the floor should be the ones reviewing. every single playoff game should have to refs in booth. they are 100% responsible for all replay, they do it better, faster, stronger with more competence. lets not use the floor refs, the pressure is already high enough for them. five ref officiating crew is what the NBA needs. three on the floor, two in a supervised, televised booth. lets make the refs in the booth booth specialists, and keep the separate from the floor? fishing for ideas here, because the current system needs to be altered.

Yeah I think this is a good idea. I still wonder about the age of some of these officials though- like you can't tell me Joey Crawford being 80 years old makes his eyes more qualified to watch then maybe someone with less experience who can actually see because he isn't eating his food out of straws. I realize these officials obviously have to go through tests each offseason but I mean seriously, some of these refs are just so old that I can't imagine they're able to competently see everything on a basketball court in a sport where things happen at a really fast pace.

MonroeFAN
05-14-2014, 06:07 PM
Is there a post-game video link in this topic? Sorry if there is, I can't find it.

I've found one legit youtube video that has been removed.

KB24PG16
05-14-2014, 06:14 PM
give him a 2.5 mil fine, have to set an example right?

Vinylman
05-14-2014, 06:22 PM
give him a 2.5 mil fine, have to set an example right?

nah... they don't fine you for being feeble minded... you just lose games because of that

cmellofan15
05-14-2014, 06:36 PM
Is there a post-game video link in this topic? Sorry if there is, I can't find it.

I've found one legit youtube video that has been removed.

here's one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6BKXmmfka4

MonroeFAN
05-14-2014, 07:08 PM
thank you sir

Cracka2HI!
05-14-2014, 07:09 PM
I don't blame Doc for being pissed and the officials did a horrible job. I have no problem with him ripping into them. Listen to the whole interview tho. He blames the team for losing.

punkz
05-14-2014, 07:19 PM
Say in football, they are reviewing whether a ball was caught or not (and the ball was actually caught), but there was a blatant non-called or missed offensive pass interference call seconds before the catch

Are you going to call this a non-catch because there was a missed offensive pass interference call just before the catch?

When a play is reviewed, the refs need to make calls within the boundary of replay rules, but they certainly didn't do that in yesterday's game, so DOC has all the rights to be pissed off at the refs for that specific call.

Also for those of you saying one call doesn't make a difference, it's whole lot different when a call goes against you in a two point game with just seconds to go

Clippers played so poorly down the stretch, but you must remember they also played darn well for large chunk of the game to still have a chance to win that game even with a total collapse at the end.

It's sad that one call still could've saved the game for them and we would not be having this "Clippers collapse" conversation.

slashsnake
05-14-2014, 07:55 PM
Say in football, they are reviewing whether a ball was caught or not (and the ball was actually caught), but there was a blatant non-called or missed offensive pass interference call seconds before the catch

Are you going to call this a non-catch because there was a missed offensive pass interference call just before the catch?

Well it would be a bit different because they did get the call right.

Rule 8 Section II - c of the NBA rulebook states:

If a player has his hand in contact with the ball and an opponent hits the hand causing the ball to go out-of-bounds, the team whose player had his hand on the ball will retain possession.

His hand was hit and he lost the ball out of bounds. Doesn't matter who touched it last, he gets the ball back. That was what should have been said.

The refs had the wrong reasoning but made the right call. Now if they gave the ball to the Clippers, THAT would have been the wrong call in that situation. That would have been the situation where their bad call potentially cost a team the game.