PDA

View Full Version : ELI5: Why woudl Detroit make SVG the prez of BBal operations?

JasonJohnHorn
05-14-2014, 06:37 AM
I like SVG, don't get me wrong, and as far as the Pistons go, I think they may have made an improvement by picking him up as coach, but whne make him the president of bball operations?

As a coach, he hasn't even really done that much. Some view his time as the head coach of the Heat as underachieving. He certainly didn't leave on top, and I think it is safe to say that in 05 at least he was out coached.

In Orlando, he had a good year in the post season in 09 and 10, but the make up of the team was very different that the current Pistons' roster. Some might point to Drummond being akin to Howard (great rebounders, solid defenders, and neither can shoot a free-throw), but the Pistons don't have any long-range shooters like he Magic.

Still, SVG, as a coach, has had more success then many, so I can get behind that.

But as a GM? He has no experience? I understand that with guys like Pop or Riley or Phil Jackson, guy who are among the greatest coaches of all time, if a team wants to bring them in, they have to give them a say, but SVG is not at that level. There are a number of good coaches out there who could make this team better (Hollins, Karl, Mark Jackson, JVG), and I would say SVG is worth a shot, but why make him president of bball operations as well?

Also, the fact that the Orlando ownership spoke to him privately about Howard's request to fire him and he felt the need to go out in public and tell the media didn't rub me right. It seemed unprofessional and it created added tension that I think hurt the team a lot. I'm not sure I'd want somebody like that as a coach.

I am a Pistons' fan and I hope to see SVG do very well and have every success, I'm just not sure why the Pistons felt like giving the key to the franchise to a coach who hasn't established himself as a coach who is THAT good.

JWO35
05-14-2014, 07:23 AM
Because they needed a GM too(technical still don't have one)...so they pulled a "2 birds 1 stone" type of deal. The pistons owner is attracted to names and SVG was one of the hottest names this season. He actually offered Tom Izzo the same thing(reportedly) SVG got. He wants a big name to run this team and make it a playoff team, and with SVG it has a good chance of happening. Now he has no Front Office experience but everyone has to start somewhere, it's not like Detroit is a borderline championship team like GS(which is why I'm not surprised GS didn't give him that ability).

This team is going to learn and grow, and SVG will too in this old but new role

MonroeFAN
05-14-2014, 07:53 AM
Because it's detroit and we need to provide a high profile coach with a lot of incentives to come here.

archdevil84
05-14-2014, 07:54 AM
oooooohhhh. i was thinking this whole time it was JEFF van gundy who was in the coaching rumors and all but it was his brother!!! thankgod because JFG is an awesome game commentator and otherwise we might had to listen to hubie brown in the finals!

IndyRealist
05-14-2014, 09:56 AM
1. Probably because SVG demanded it. This way he has complete control of the roster, with no meddling from management. Short of going to the owner, there is no way to overrule him now.
2. To save money. SVG got $7M/yr, a ton of money for a head coach. By combining the positions they save having to pay another 7 figure salary.

Phenomenonsense
05-14-2014, 11:18 AM
Because he isn't going to be GM? He's going to be PBBO. There is just not enough time in the day to be a GM and a Coach unless you're Super Riley lol. He's going to be hiring someone as GM to do the day to day GM activities. All the PBBO means is that he will have final say on all roster decisions (outside of the owner). It legitimizes the Detroit coaching position, which has been a joke of "1 or two years" the past 6 coaches or something like that.

LAKobeBryant
05-14-2014, 11:28 AM
wat is there to lose they been at the bottom of the east for like 10 years?

Phenomenonsense
05-14-2014, 11:29 AM

Ten years ago we just beat your *** in the "5 game sweep."

MonroeFAN
05-14-2014, 01:20 PM
When keeping it real goes wrong.

DillyDill
05-14-2014, 02:01 PM

Lol Low Blow Ouch

Chronz
05-14-2014, 02:03 PM
I think hes overrated by the masses but the man is a damn good coach and has a very open basketball mind.

mavwar53
05-14-2014, 02:26 PM
They were desperate, they knew they had to add something to entice him to come to Detroit rather than GSW.

RiLoc
05-14-2014, 03:37 PM
ELI5: Why woudl Detroit make SVG the prez of BBal operations?
"Van Gundy blew away franchise higher-ups with his preparation — his vision for the team, his evaluation of each player, and his plan for overhauling the Pistons’ moribund culture, according to a high-level team source." That is from Zach Lowe's article, Detroit Retools Its Engine With Stan Van Gundy (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/detroit-pistons-stan-van-gundy/).

P&GRealist
05-14-2014, 03:58 PM

And then lost the next yr to the Spurs in 7.

And then lost to the Heat in the conference finals

And then let LeBron drop 48 on you in the following conference finals

And then lost to the big 3 Celtics in the following conference finals

and then...

well, where have you guys been for 6 yrs?

Oh yes, the iconic Charlie Villaneuva-Ben Gordon era, and now the Brandon Jennings (MIL didn't want him) era.

P&GRealist
05-14-2014, 04:00 PM
There are reports that before Van Gundy got the gig, the coach/president role may have very well gone to Tom Izzo.

MonroeFAN
05-14-2014, 04:02 PM
And then lost the next yr to the Spurs in 7.

And then lost to the Heat in the conference finals

And then let LeBron drop 48 on you in the following conference finals

And then lost to the big 3 Celtics in the following conference finals

and then...

well, where have you guys been for 6 yrs?

Oh yes, the iconic Charlie Villaneuva-Ben Gordon era, and now the Brandon Jennings (MIL didn't want him) era.

ok so 6 years? 1 play away from repeating, and 6 straight ECF appearances is more than most teams can claim. Come on now P&G... you know this isn't a good argument.

He was quoting a stupid post, it's nothing against the Lakers organization.

ManRam
05-14-2014, 04:02 PM
To convince him to be their coach. I mean, that's pretty obvious. They had to offer something to make it worth his time. There are better jobs available, and he's made it clear that he's fine with not coaching. I'm sure he'll be competent enough as a front office mind to make it worth it. I mean, there's no way he's dumb enough to do something like sign Josh Smith to that contract...or like half the stuff that's happened since the end of the good years 7 or whatever years ago.

MonroeFAN
05-14-2014, 04:05 PM
This is a foolish topic (sorry). It's terribly obvious why we gave him the position we did, because he wouldn't have come other wise. After what happened in Orlando (becoming the victim of some little girl) and Miami (being mutinied by that grease-ball), I can't say I blame him either.

P&GRealist
05-14-2014, 04:05 PM
ok so 6 years? 1 play away from repeating, and 6 straight ECF appearances is more than most teams can claim. Come on now P&G... you know this isn't a good argument.

He was quoting a stupid post, it's nothing against the Lakers organization.

I know :p

I give credit to you guys. Having Chauncey lead you guy to 6 straight ECF (and then he goes on to the 2009 WCF with Denver, making it a personal 7 straight conference finals for him) is awesome.

JasonJohnHorn
05-14-2014, 04:28 PM

They won the championship 10 years ago... that is the top. Then they were in the finals the next year and the conference finals for two following that?

They've been bad for a few seasons, but not 10, and they haven't been at the bottom of the East in a LONG time.

Deception
05-14-2014, 05:00 PM
Simple, when you're not an attractive market, you have to give a lot to entertain a big name coach. Dumars was all about hiring sub-par coaches, Cheeks, Frank, Curry, and Kuester. All were getting paid just around 4 million to coach like ****, why not pay an extra few million to get SVG? Gores is a rich billionaire and is showing he'll open up his wallet to bring success to this team.

NBA_Starter
05-14-2014, 05:45 PM
Because he is smart with business decisions and a great coach and they want to get better badly.