PDA

View Full Version : Stever Kerr wants 5-year/30 million?

JasonJohnHorn
05-11-2014, 11:41 AM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/steve-kerr-seeking-fiveyear-30-million-deal-from-knicks-304151.html

So Steve Kerr is apparently asking for a 5-year/30-million-dollar deal!

This is a guy with NO coaching experience! WTF?!?!?

If Kerr gets this deal, it will be worth almost DOUBLE what he made in his entire playing career (he made 15.7 million playing the game).

That would mean he's getting paid more than Rick Carlisle, Thibs, Spo, Adleman, and an EQUAL amount to Pop!

WTF?!?!?!? Is this guy on crack? He hasn't coached a game yet and he wants to be the second highest paid coach on the league (Doc makes 7 mil)? Making more than guys who have won championships?

I think Kerr will be a good coach. I'm not sure how good, but SIX MILLION!!!

Thoughts?

Indestructible
05-11-2014, 11:48 AM
It's an excuse to go to the Knicks.

Chronz
05-11-2014, 11:53 AM
Thats what NY coaches get, especially when its at the behest of Phil Jackson. Dude knows his worth, but I agree, he should get paid based on credentials, aka peanuts

Sadds The Gr8
05-11-2014, 11:57 AM
I don't blame him, even if he does suck as a coach. He has all the leverage and the Knicks are desperate as hell for him. I'd squeeze the bastards for every penny too

a4anthony
05-11-2014, 12:19 PM
Dont blame him one bit, why leave a TV gig to go to one of the most unstable careers in the world, so if he goes he has to make sure its worth it money wise.

Big Zo
05-11-2014, 12:32 PM
I'd pay him that just to get him off TV.

east fb knicks
05-11-2014, 12:44 PM
lmao dolan is one of the riches owners so tbh idc about dolans money he got plenty the nets cross town are paying a nba record in salaries just to be a 2nd rd knock out im sure dolan will be ok

but on the flip side why is kerr asking for so much it's not like he's broke after this and the golden state thing im really starting to not like this guy hopefully he turns this team around but right now idk if he's the right choice if all he's worried about is money:mad:

beasted86
05-11-2014, 01:17 PM
I don't blame him, even if he does suck as a coach. He has all the leverage and the Knicks are desperate as hell for him. I'd squeeze the bastards for every penny too

Especially after they hired a GM with no GM experience for $12M

JohnStockton
05-11-2014, 01:24 PM
WOW!! I'm sure that is a bargaining point and he will come down, but that is insane. To step up and say: I want to be paid as much as the best coach in the league (Pop) even though I haven't coached a day in my life. That is shear arrogance. But, as MM says, act like a rock star, get treated like a rock star.

Kerr has played under the best coaches in the history of the game (Pop, Jackson and Matt Goukas), but he hasn't coached a game yet.

Seriously, Cotton Fitzsimmons, Lenny Wilkens, Phil Jackosn, Greg Popovich.... he's played under some good coaches. I assume they have rubbed off. And he seems like a bright guy. Seems like a lot of dough for a rookie coach though, and nobody has been calling him up to be a GM after his tenure with the Suns.

D-Leethal
05-11-2014, 01:59 PM
free market capitalism

Saddletramp
05-11-2014, 02:44 PM
It's the biggest market, terrible team, new teams are in the mix, relocation to the East Coast, huge gamble and they've shown that they really, really want him. Not to mention that the more contracts get signed, the bigger they'll be.

I'd ask for that, too.

HYFR
05-11-2014, 02:56 PM

Especially after they hired a GM with no GM experience
for $12M

I'm sure this has happened many times before. You have to start somewhere

JasonJohnHorn
05-11-2014, 03:19 PM
I'm sure this has happened many times before. You have to start somewhere

Um... NO GM has ever been paid 12 million before, let alone one who'd never done the job. So...
The Riley/Heat situation was similar, but they brought him in to coach and he was still quite young as far as execs go.

I mean, Phil Jackson is 69 years old? God forbid he should, but a lot of people die before they turn 70. His age, and inexperience at the job, coupled with the huge salary. That is not common at all.

effen5
05-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Steve Kerr is a genius because he knows the knicks will pay that...only tram ******** enough to pay that are the knicks.

KnickNyKnick
05-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Steve Kerr is a genius because he knows the knicks will pay that...only tram ******** enough to pay that are the knicks.

one of the few teams that can....

effen5
05-11-2014, 06:33 PM
But the Knicks are the dumbest

manziel
05-11-2014, 07:01 PM
kniks are dumbasses

KnickNyKnick
05-11-2014, 07:20 PM
kniks are dumbasses

lol at least spell Knicks correctly if youre going to call them dumbasses. :facepalm:

THE MTL
05-11-2014, 07:46 PM
kniks are dumbasses

Says the dumbass who spelled the name of the team wrong. FAILURE.

cmellofan15
05-11-2014, 08:29 PM
is he gonna play PG?

Crackadalic
05-11-2014, 08:56 PM
When you have Dolan as an owner and the dysfunction that is the knicks I would ask that much as well.

Kerr knows he gets paid well as a tv analyst so he needs to know that the money is worth while to leave his current job

He's leaving his family out in the west coast for this

NBA_Starter
05-11-2014, 09:00 PM
Make them show you the money Steve!

KnicksorBust
05-11-2014, 11:37 PM
That is like some Jared Jeffries or Jerome James money there...

On a serious note, if it works out then $6 mil is a bargain. Comparatively to other coaches it is absurd but this money doesnt hurt our cap. It doesnt limit us in FA. It just comes out of Dolan's overstuffed wallet. Just pay him and start focusing on the real issues like Melo.

IversonIsKrazy
05-12-2014, 02:36 AM
I hope they don't and he stays a commentator, I like him on TV.

curtcocaine
05-12-2014, 03:22 AM
He's smart. You have to know how to bargain. If you ask for four there going to try to talk you down to 2/ 2.5. He's asking for 6 he might get around 3.5, which is still a significant amount especially to someone as broke as me

louanneyis
05-12-2014, 04:06 AM
It's an excuse to go to the Knicks.http://isoftwaresale.com/5ce6.jpg

Pistol_Pete
05-12-2014, 12:29 PM
He asking one of the richest owners of one of the richest teams, in the biggest market, for cash. Now, the Knicks shouldn't pay that, but they probably will overpay.

And here's the thing, there's probably a 99% chance he doesn't make it 5 seasons. He's going into one of the most dysfunctional ownership situations in the NBA. He knows that no matter what's said and promised, what's going to happen is what Dolan wants to happen. So why not try and take as much as you can get when you know you're already on a countdown to be fired. Plus, if he is really interested in the West coast, you'd have to make sure something on the East is something you can't pass up.

Tony_Starks
05-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Must be nice...

D-Leethal
05-12-2014, 02:17 PM
If there weren't caps put on player contracts than players in NY would make tons more money than players in San Antonio. Since there are caps, the salaries are evened out and basically fixed for certain talent levels. Coaches don't have caps on their contracts (AFAIK) so this is the result your gonna get when New York has a hardon for you.

elledaddy
05-12-2014, 02:24 PM
If the knicks identify Kerr as their guy, what does is matter what they are paying him. Dolan has the most profitable team in the NBA. If Kerr and Jackson can bring at least the smell of a ring, the 16 mill they make together yearly would be pennies on the dollar

Kushed
05-12-2014, 03:23 PM
Dude is a hot commodity. You're talking about teams wanting someone who has zero coaching experience lol but somehow he still has the leverage in this situation because teams are all over his nuts.

He isn't on crack. He's a smart business man, something a lot of you clearly know nothing about.

CityofChaos
05-12-2014, 05:08 PM
The Knicks also have Mark Jackson to fall on and if I were a Knicks fan I would prefer someone who just came off a 2 year playoff run, not to mention who played some of his best games a knick.

God I hope the Warriors don't sign Kerr though.

LongIslandIcedZ
05-12-2014, 05:33 PM
I never understand why fans care so much about what coaches and GM's get paid.

It has no impact on cap, or anything really. If Jackson and Kerr want 90 million combined, give it to them, why should I care?

I hate Dolan. But if he's willing to spend 90 million on two front office members, why should I, or anyone else care?

beasted86
05-12-2014, 07:40 PM

It has no impact on cap, or anything really. If Jackson and Kerr want 90 million combined, give it to them, why should I care?

I hate Dolan. But if he's willing to spend 90 million on two front office members, why should I, or anyone else care?

Truth.

Same thing I said about Dolphins giving Gruden or whoever megabucks to once and for all get that idiot Ireland and the rest of the lames out of the front office. If that's what it takes to finally turn the team around in the right direction, then I don't care as a fan.

BKLYNpigeon
05-12-2014, 08:24 PM
I think the Knicks are still paying Isiah Thomas and Stephon Marbury lol.

I think Kerr has a good shot at being a Very Successful Coach.

He's worked in the front office as a GM. He's played with the best Players in the League. And He learned from the two best coaches in the last 30 years, Phil Jackson and Greg Popavich.

Enzo
05-12-2014, 08:28 PM

Because paying out more then necessary gives James Dolan another reason to raise the cost of everything Knick related. Tickets, merchandise, whatever.