PDA

View Full Version : Ok, NOW the Clipper players should sit out

Sssmush
05-10-2014, 07:37 AM
Now that the rush of Adam Silver jumping to the rescue and the illusion that he could easily snatch the team away from Donald Sterling is over... and now that we see clearly that Donald Sterling (and his wife, and very likely the entire upper hierarchy of the Clippers organization) are totally cynical and unrepentant about this entire affair, having failed to offer up any kind of apology or even the slightest acknowledgment that there was anything that anybody should have been offended by, it is now time for the Clipper players to take a moral stand and sit out at least one game, and very likely the entire rest of the playoffs.

As it becomes clear that Sterling will likely battle the league to a stalemate if not an outright victory, and that he cannot be legally forced to sell the team, much less prevented from simply passing it sideways to his wife or another confederate, the reality dawns that the ugly cloud over the Clippers will remain for the foreseeable future and has in fact gotten even worse and more toxic.

If the players were truly upset by the picture of dogmatic racism completed by the recorded statements originally leaked by TMZ, and offended that they have not even received the slightest personal apology or explanation from Mr. Sterling, then they are challenged and confronted at this moment by a moral dilemma. Either walk away from the Clippers, even at the cost of being in breach of contract, or simply lie down and take it, and go out there and play for the Clippers.

At this point, too, with Donald Sterling in open revolt against the league and initiating lawsuits against them, I have no idea what any Clipper "fans" are doing at any of these games. Is the situation not clear?

If the player's and coaches truly consider Sterling's conduct to be reprehensible and intolerable they should just walk away and bring this situation to a head. Now. Or else they should just accept that their ownership situation is not ideal, and that this ongoing situation is just going to be part of the NBA for *a while*.

Question: does anybody know if any of the sponsors who opted out have now opted back in? Were any of them contractually obligated to remain as sponsors or at least to continue paying for advertising already purchased?

In any case, if you ask me it is not enough to just leave this to the league. This is clearly a player issue, and a fan issue, and it is only the players and the fans who can bring any real pressure. So if Sterling is truly going to go all the way with this fight, then the players should too. Immediately. And the fans. Adam Silver, for his part, can issue a league order that any Clipper players will be allowed to opt out of their contracts (I believe he can do this if work conditions are deemed unhygienic or whatever). From there, as the lengthy legal battles get underway, the Clippers can just go all the way into the tank in front of an empty Staples center. (and by the way, HELLO, are the Lakers still going to let them play there?)

Otherwise, if the Clipper players, coaches and fans are just willing to stay in the current situation for the foreseeable future (admittedly, the most "Clipper-tastic" thing to do) then that is their choice, and they shouldn't complain, because it was simply worth the money and the situation is obviously not that bad, whether or not Sterling sees fit to reach out to the them, or to the city and the league, to offer a genuine acknowledgment and apology to try and heal the wounds that have been created, or not.

If not... *meh*. Seriously this is just another chapter in Clippers' lore as far as I'm concerned, not particularly worse than anything else. Clipper fans should just acknowledge that they accept this, and the players should too. Free country, and if they don't have a problem with it, then it's not my problem either so I guess I don't care either.

EL_MACHETE
05-10-2014, 08:44 AM
Hmmm im just curious but if he's wife does become the new owner couldn't he just say what's mine is hers and what's her is mine??

Bcuz that would be ****ed up

HeatAttack
05-10-2014, 08:58 AM
They gladly took his money and signed the contracts after being well aware that he was a slumlord. Now because of a recorded conversation(illegally recorded I might add) the players should boycott?

Lol, not a chance.

yellowblanket
05-10-2014, 09:01 AM
He gonna win a boat load of money when he sue the nba. There is the reason why the guy don't talk much to the press other than scripted line his lawyers gave him to make his case more valid. Billionaire like him doesn't get there by having people walk all over him. What he said was messed up but it isn't illegal

ghettosean
05-10-2014, 09:15 AM
They gladly took his money and signed the contracts after being well aware that he was a slumlord. Now because of a recorded conversation(illegally recorded I might add) the players should boycott?

Lol, not a chance.

He gave permission to be recorded because he's losing his memory he just didn't know the tape would get leaked... How is this still not common knowledge :S

ghettosean
05-10-2014, 09:37 AM
The players and coaches said they are just focusing on basketball and the league is still yet to have a vote to oust Sterling as an owner for breaching the contracts he signed with the league as his comments have hurt the clippers revenue stream, his continued presence will hurt the leagues revenue stream (violation 1 and 2 in hurting the franchise and the league financially). Sterling has also signed moral and ethical contracts with the league which he is also in violation of.... As for his wife she has never been an approved owner and I don't see all the other owners just voting her in with open arms... lol. So I cannot for see her being the new owner as it will still hurt the league and clippers financial interests. As far as the fans they are supporting there team through some dark times they aren't trying to win a ring for Donald or Shelly but for themselves and the fans and I see no problem with the fans supporting there team.

The off season will be interesting though that's for sure... No need to strike now though when your career goals are to win a championship. Not one player wants to win for ownership it's for themselves and the fans.

mdm692
05-10-2014, 11:01 AM
The players and coaches said they are just focusing on basketball and the league is still yet to have a vote to oust Sterling as an owner for breaching the contracts he signed with the league as his comments have hurt the clippers revenue stream, his continued presence will hurt the leagues revenue stream (violation 1 and 2 in hurting the franchise and the league financially). Sterling has also signed moral and ethical contracts with the league which he is also in violation of.... As for his wife she has never been an approved owner and I don't see all the other owners just voting her in with open arms... lol. So I cannot for see her being the new owner as it will still hurt the league and clippers financial interests. As far as the fans they are supporting there team through some dark times they aren't trying to win a ring for Donald or Shelly but for themselves and the fans and I see no problem with the fans supporting there team.

The off season will be interesting though that's for sure... No need to strike now though when your career goals are to win a championship. Not one player wants to win for ownership it's for themselves and the fans.
Bingo. That's why the NBA CAN force him to sell. If they feel that it's hurting their business and image they are intheir legal right to oust him.

hoosiercubsfan
05-10-2014, 11:03 AM
First the Clippers are not playing for DS they are playing for each other. They have a legit shot at making it to the NBA finals. They aren't simply going to throw that away simply because their owner is a racist idiot. That is up to the league to decide in the coming months what is going to happen with them. I am not sure if it matters or not what the league agreed to as far as who is the owner of the team. If the Sterling's chose to divorce the team would have at best been split between them as marital property. Leaving the league able to potentially force the sale of Donald's half but maybe not his wife/ex wife's. This is going to be a colossal mess before it is settled I believe but just don't see the team throwing away the season because of it. Just don't think their competitive pride would allow such a thing.

hoosiercubsfan
05-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Question: does anybody know if any of the sponsors who opted out have now opted back in? Were any of them contractually obligated to remain as sponsors or at least to continue paying for advertising already purchased?

This is the biggest reason I think the league has a good leg to stand on in ousting Donald Sterling. Though won't allow the league to throw his wife out also especially if the team is split in a divorce proceeding.

In any case, if you ask me it is not enough to just leave this to the league. This is clearly a player issue, and a fan issue, and it is only the players and the fans who can bring any real pressure. So if Sterling is truly going to go all the way with this fight, then the players should too. Immediately. And the fans. Adam Silver, for his part, can issue a league order that any Clipper players will be allowed to opt out of their contracts (I believe he can do this if work conditions are deemed unhygienic or whatever). From there, as the lengthy legal battles get underway, the Clippers can just go all the way into the tank in front of an empty Staples center. (and by the way, HELLO, are the Lakers still going to let them play there?)

I do not believe Sterling has this type of power. He cannot simply nullify legally signed contracts. The players at best would only be allowed to sit out until their contract was over. What he said is reprehensible but I don't think it is enough to provide a breach of contract. I imagine they have a contract with the Lakers to play there so long as the contract isn't ending they won't have a choice. Sterling would simply sue to have the contract enforced just like he would with the players if they tried to get out of their contracts. You can't forget he is a lawyer by trade and loves to fight it out in court.

goingfor28
05-10-2014, 11:34 AM
by the way, HELLO, are the Lakers still going to let them play there?

Why would it be up to the lakers? The seats are purple and black for a reasokln. HELLO, staples is LA Kings home, not the lakers

IndyRealist
05-10-2014, 11:49 AM
I'm really confused where this is coming from. The only commentator saying that the Sterlings stand a chance is JVG, and everyone all but called him an idiot on air.

Their ownership of the team is marital property, and she can't make anymore claim to the team than Donald can. NBA teams are branded franchises, just like any McDonalds. Owners are under legal obligation to the NBA, and the corporation can take back the franchise under the rules of the contract that Sterling signed.

Chronz
05-10-2014, 12:55 PM

Lol, not a chance.
Plz stop talking on clips related affairs. Players boycotting isn't exactly unheard of.

Jagged QT
05-10-2014, 01:32 PM
I'm really confused where this is coming from. The only commentator saying that the Sterlings stand a chance is JVG, and everyone all but called him an idiot on air.

Their ownership of the team is marital property, and she can't make anymore claim to the team than Donald can. NBA teams are branded franchises, just like any McDonalds. Owners are under legal obligation to the NBA, and the corporation can take back the franchise under the rules of the contract that Sterling signed.
Nah, they really cant otherwise a vote of the owners wouldnt be needed.

beasted86
05-10-2014, 02:23 PM
He gonna win a boat load of money when he sue the nba. There is the reason why the guy don't talk much to the press other than scripted line his lawyers gave him to make his case more valid. Billionaire like him doesn't get there by having people walk all over him. What he said was messed up but it isn't illegal

What people fail to realize is Silver and the rest of the suits running the NBA are all lawyers and business graduates with a doctorate. They know what they are doing.

The only real issue that I see is taking ownership from his wife... that one looks like an uphill battle.

Jagged QT
05-10-2014, 03:31 PM
What people fail to realize is Silver and the rest of the suits running the NBA are all lawyers and business graduates with a doctorate. They know what they are doing.

The only real issue that I see is taking ownership from his wife... that one looks like an uphill battle.

All they have to do is not vote her in as a controlling owner and problem solved.

Shelly wants that power of the title, but she fails to realize that only Donald is the owner, he entered the contract, not Shelly...when she has to apply for that title she'll be denied by the other owners and will be forced to sell.

Pistol_Pete
05-10-2014, 04:02 PM
Look. There's no point in the players sitting out. They have a legit (though tough) shot to make it to the Finals. Why ruin that to make a statement. And that statement would they even make? That they're against racism? I think that's probably a given. What will it do, make them lose? Sterling has been content with losing for decades. The players play for themselves. If they have a shot to continue in the postseason, they should take it.

As for Sterling, he unfortunately is going to come out on top, which is disgusting. The worst case scenario is he's forced to sell the team and makes a $900+Million profit.

Max.This
05-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Look. There's no point in the players sitting out. They have a legit (though tough) shot to make it to the Finals. Why ruin that to make a statement. And that statement would they even make? That they're against racism? I think that's probably a given. What will it do, make them lose? Sterling has been content with losing for decades. The players play for themselves. If they have a shot to continue in the postseason, they should take it.

As for Sterling, he unfortunately is going to come out on top, which is disgusting. The worst case scenario is he's forced to sell the team and makes a $900+Million profit.

or his wife files for divorce and obtains 50% of his assets including the clippers.

IndyRealist
05-10-2014, 04:45 PM
Nah, they really cant otherwise a vote of the owners wouldnt be needed.

The owners vote is needed because that's how it's written in the NBA bylaws. By the contract HE signed, the NBA can take the team away from him if the owners vote to do so. Sterling has no legal recourse.

Jagged QT
05-10-2014, 05:13 PM
The owners vote is needed because that's how it's written in the NBA bylaws. By the contract HE signed, the NBA can take the team away from him if the owners vote to do so. Sterling has no legal recourse.

THE NBA cant do anything related otherwise Silver would have, all he can do is what he did....suspend and fine.

Like I posted only owners can get rid of owners and they have to not only cite what violation Sterling violated but also compare it with his body of work as an owner.

but of course there is a reason why the NBA wants to force his wife out as well....good luck since they already stated this has nothing to do with her, but once again it's up to the owners to recognize her as being owner...she has to apply with them for that.

mngopher35
05-10-2014, 05:28 PM

I agree with the post and the bold. I don't think people should think of this as going out there to win for Sterling in any way. We still have no idea how the situation plays out so lets just wait until the off-season and see what happens.

These players have limited time in their careers to compete for championships. They have put in hours, days, weeks, months of work to get where they are today. Heck they have put years of work into getting the chance of playing in the NBA and winning a title. I don't think they should be forced to throw it all out the window just because of their owner (who has been banned for life at this point and we don't know where it will go from here). The fans are cheering for the team they have loved for years and should support these players and coaches they love as well. No one is supporting Sterling with their words, actions, or by playing the game they love. I think it would be worse to let him ruin it for everyone.

If in the off-season things change and somehow Sterling gets to stay as owner or whatever maybe they should try and force their hand legally by attempting to terminate all contracts etc.

IndyRealist
05-10-2014, 05:40 PM
THE NBA cant do anything related otherwise Silver would have, all he can do is what he did....suspend and fine.

Like I posted only owners can get rid of owners and they have to not only cite what violation Sterling violated but also compare it with his body of work as an owner.

but of course there is a reason why the NBA wants to force his wife out as well....good luck since they already stated this has nothing to do with her, but once again it's up to the owners to recognize her as being owner...she has to apply with them for that.

I think you're confused as to the organizational chart of the NBA. Adam Silver works for the owners. The NBA is a collective entity made up of 30 teams, with each owner 1/30th owner of the NBA. It takes an owner vote to take over a team BECAUSE THE OWNERS ARE THE NBA. Silver did what was in his discretion to do as Commissioner, but the Commissioner has the authority that the NBA bylaws gave him.

This is a semantic argument, which has nothing the do with the issues. There will be a vote, Sterling will lose his team, and there is not a thing he can do about it.

east fb knicks
05-10-2014, 06:46 PM

exactly:clap: why is this thread even still open

IKnowHoops
05-10-2014, 07:05 PM
I don't think the Clippers players should sit out, especially in these playoffs. Everything has been set in motion already and the league is already taking the steps to get him out, so sitting out really at this point in unnecessary. If a scenario does arise in which the players feel they need to sit out, it should be league wide. All the players in the league should band together and sit out to put pressure on the every owner and high ranking official to get him out. And more importantly to show support for your fellow players. Thats a lot of pressure for the clippers players and its not there fault there owner made those comments. They shouldn't have to shoulder that burden alone. Every player on every team should show support by doing the same thing. Thats a statement of monumental proportions.

NBA_Starter
05-10-2014, 08:55 PM
If the wife gets the team they definitely should.

tredigs
05-10-2014, 09:31 PM
To be clear, Shelly Sterling ALREADY owns 50% of the Clippers organization. She owns the exact same amount that Donald does, the difference is that she is not a controlling owner because she was never voted in by the board of governors (that was Donald). And they never will vote her in at this point, but she does not want that anyway. What she wants is to be the behind-the-scenes owner as she has always been, and apparently is open to new ownership buying out Donald's half if/when they vote him out due to his recent comments.

The issue, though, is that to the best of my knowledge they have no grounds to vote Shelly out as an owner (simply being associated with Donald is not enough), and she's going to take that to court if they attempt to vote her out. The NBA bylaws do not allow for a random vote to oust an owner simply because they are bad for business.

Sssmush
05-10-2014, 10:55 PM
See, part of the reason this has become obvious to me is quotes like this from "yellowblanket" (9 posts):

and "HeatAttack" (11 posts):

Lol, not a chance.

Everywhere I look on the net I am seeing this entire Clippers issue become an increasingly vitriolic cesspool of racism and racist attitudes. After the initial outpouring of anger and disappointment from the players/fans/NBA it's been fairly quiet on the populist/progressive side, but there is an increasingly loud racist backlash in the comments section of a lot of sports websites NBCSports.com, etc, that is expressing anger that says it's unfair Sterling's team could be taken away, blah blah blah, mixed in with racist anger at the players, anger about affirmative action and social issues, president Obama, immigration, etc etc. This is getting UGLY and that combined with the stone-faced recalcitrance of Sterling himself and his setting in motion the wheels of a large multi-pronged lawsuit against the league, cheered on by racists who otherwise couldn't give a crap about basketball, has made this a necessity.

I actually do think that the league has a very difficult and uncertain path to defeat Sterling on this issue in court; and I actually don't think Sterling is "beyond redemption" either. In a perfect world he would perhaps find it in his heart to explain himself and his feelings, to apologize for his allegedly racist attitudes and actions, and have some kind of a public come-to-Jesus moment (or come to yawheh or whatever) with Barbara Walters. Not just another bull**** PR cover-your-*** routine, but something genuine that would be meaningful and show that the NBA has actually spread some love and helped our nation move forward in some small way, a shared moment of redemption for both Sterling and the league.

But given that the league can probably not defeat Sterling in open court, and that its objectives would in any case be uncertain, and the fact that Sterling has not bothered to apologize in the slightest, it is now up to the players to make a statement about this. Leaving it up to the league, or making a league issue out of it, is no different from doing nothing.

Here is what I think: Chris Paul, who has somewhat positioned himself as a leader of men in the league, now has a unique, perhaps once in a lifetime opportunity to stand up and make a powerfully strong statement against racism in America.

This opportunity is actually much stronger than Muhammad Ali's grandstanding about the Vietnam war, because he was just following the instructions of his religious black muslim brotherhood who in fact themselves had an explicitly racist and segregationist agenda (watch the ESPN documentary on Joe Frazier). Chris Paul's opportunity, by contrast, is something much better, a chance to stand up against racist attitudes and inequalities which have managed to infect the most progressive and uniquely African American of all sports leagues, the NBA, for the past 30 years.

CP3 can take a stand on this and not play and he will be elevated to an extremely high level. He might be Time Magazine's Person of the Year. He will have a huge amount of credibility and will make a tremendous impact in the media and the business world and will alter (for the better) the perception of the league and the national discourse on race forever.

Or he can go put on a shirt that says "Los Angeles Clippers" and go out and hustle for rebounds and bounce a ball around with Shelly Sterling in the stands.

That.Is.The.Choice.

Sssmush
05-10-2014, 11:12 PM
The more I think about this the more I just don't see how CP3 can possibly go out there in a Clippers uniform and play at a time like this.

CP3 has an absolutely once in a lifetime opportunity to make a real, genuine, pure and impactful statement about race in America to improve our society for the better. It is pure, it is genuine, and he would have 100% support from all the NBA players, all the fans, all the media. He can do what the league cannot and he can bring to a head this issue that will otherwise just be stuck in quicksand for the next 3 years at a minimum, with increasingly ugly media reports and Internet trolling.

It's such a perfect opportunity, I just have to say it will be a sadly disappointing epic fail if he/they go out there and play. The franchise is meaningless, the games are now meaningless, the fans are meaningless. It has no meaning and playing the games without a clear message as to WHY is just confusing people about all the underlying issues. Not playing, even at the cost of being suspended by the league, would be a HUGE act of integrity.

Sssmush
05-10-2014, 11:15 PM
I am being 100% serious right now when I say this, that if CP3 has the balls to take a stand at this moment, and if he plays his cards right going forward, in 20 years we could very well be talking about Chris Paul, President of the United States of America.

THAT is how big this is right now. This is huge.

Enzo
05-10-2014, 11:32 PM
I am being 100% serious right now when I say this, that if CP3 has the balls to take a stand at this moment, and if he plays his cards right going forward, in 20 years we could very well be talking about Chris Paul, President of the United States of America. THAT is how big this is right now. This is huge.

:facepalm:

Pierzynski4Prez
05-10-2014, 11:41 PM
If they sit out games they also need to forfeit their paycheck.

Asik's better
05-11-2014, 12:18 AM
Sitting out honestly won't do anything. The wheels are now in motion and this has become a legal thing. We just need to wait and see what the nba's next move is.

Trwood12
05-11-2014, 12:51 AM
Are you serious? Sacrifice their playoff chance because their owner is a douche? Yeah right.

tredigs
05-11-2014, 01:39 AM
I am being 100% serious right now when I say this, that if CP3 has the balls to take a stand at this moment, and if he plays his cards right going forward, in 20 years we could very well be talking about Chris Paul, President of the United States of America.

Hahaha... you're an entertaining one, I'll give you that.

Not sure they would considering it's the post-season. I think all their money for the year is already done and paid (other than small bonuses giving by the NBA money pool to teams who advance rounds in the post-season).

They're not going to sit out, but I also have a feeling that they won't be able to oust Shelly Sterling - which in turn means they will begin to demand trades and the Clippers will lose the bulk of its sponsors + not sign any name free agents. It could legitimately be the fall of their franchise if the old wench decides to stand pat, and I'm not positive the NBA will have any legal recourse against it.

Sssmush
05-11-2014, 06:44 AM
Sitting out honestly won't do anything. The wheels are now in motion and this has become a legal thing. We just need to wait and see what the nba's next move is.

The NBA doesnt really have a move in this situation though. To be honest it appears they've overplayed their hand somewhat, and if the games just go on, the fans show up like everything's the same and the initial uproar subsides, it leaves the league looking a bit ridiculous, like it's confiscating a franchise based on some silly hooker wiretap. They might not even win the owner vote at the going rate.

That is why it's up to CP3 to really lay it on the line and say that hey, this situation is a huge problem and a violation of what the league is about and guess what the show stops until you get this figured out.

Somebody should tell CP3's agent right now that his client could be bigger than Elvis by Monday if he can find the resolve to take a stand. It is such a perfect moment.

I will even go further and say that maybe Sterling saw CP3's potential a long time ago and has maneuvered things to this point just to punk him out.

But CP3 can win this one if he takes it straight to the hoop. It's right there, wide open just for this one moment. AND it will erase Manziel and the NFL draft from the media instantly.

Biggest.Name.In.Basketball.

Asik's better
05-11-2014, 08:13 AM
Wait should cp3 sit out because it's what's right or for the fame? Because if he sat out for the fame that would be a ****** reason to sit out for.

ghettosean
05-11-2014, 08:48 AM

Hahaha... you're an entertaining one, I'll give you that.

Not sure they would considering it's the post-season. I think all their money for the year is already done and paid (other than small bonuses giving by the NBA money pool to teams who advance rounds in the post-season).

They're not going to sit out, but I also have a feeling that they won't be able to oust Shelly Sterling - which in turn means they will begin to demand trades and the Clippers will lose the bulk of its sponsors + not sign any name free agents. It could legitimately be the fall of their franchise if the old wench decides to stand pat, and I'm not positive the NBA will have any legal recourse against it.

I'm not saying they 100% will be able to oust her but technically she is not divorced from Sterling so I'm not exactly sure how there money is so divided. Legally i think there assets are one in the same until the divorce goes through and that might be enough but I'm not 100% sure. They might have seperate lawyers and claims but the source of all the money is coming from the same place. It's going to be an interesting summer that's for sure. I fully agree that if she remains an owner (unofficially) it will be the death of that franchise.

IndyRealist
05-11-2014, 09:18 AM
You know players only make a tiny fraction of what they normally do during the playoffs, right? Unless you're a vet min guy, playoff money probably doesn't make any difference.

Pierzynski4Prez
05-11-2014, 09:38 AM
You know players only make a tiny fraction of what they normally do during the playoffs, right? Unless you're a vet min guy, playoff money probably doesn't make any difference.

It's not about the amount of money, you don't play, you don't receive a check. Simple. These players are not working in horrible conditions. They have a racist owner whom I'm sure none of the players have even seen since the recording. And I doubt any of these players were ever subject to racist behavior.

If they want to sit out, fine. But they shouldn't be paid then either for whatever it is they are paid for this time of year.

LA_Raiders
05-11-2014, 02:57 PM
Come on guys. The nba did right, but how can you blame the wife for his stupid husband? He is banned for life; let's move on...

Clips need to move on cause they are playing like **** recently.

Sssmush
05-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Wait should cp3 sit out because it's what's right or for the fame? Because if he sat out for the fame that would be a ****** reason to sit out for.

No, the only reason he would possibly consider sitting out is to make a moral statement. It would be a huge sacrifice and a risk for him career wise. Just for the benefit of his agents and advisors, though, I was pointing out that not only CP3 did have Sterling over a barrel for about 5 minutes but he would also have made himself bigger than the NBA and exponentially expanded his fame and relevance. I was also pointing out for the league that if CP3 did in fact sit out he'd be in a sense bailing them out of their increasingly difficult/complex legal situation, by causing the franchise to falter, more sponsors to bail or continue to bail, etc. This would put REAL pressure on the owners, the fact that uh-oh the machine's not running right, something's broken and our big show isn't on TV. This would have a huge effect.

As it is, the Clipper fans (LoL) are all back in the stands, pretending they have a real team playing in the playoffs, and all the sponsors are back, the commercials are back, the players are out there wearing Clipper
gear hustling around. In other words, after a three day glitch and media storm, business is back to normal: the Sterlings are in outright defiance of the league, having failed to offer the slightest explanation, acknowledgment or apology, and are in fact preparing for a series of large aggressive lawsuits against the league.

At this point I'm sure that the league also sees what I see, but that it probably won't matter because
the Clippers will be done in 5 games and they won't have to worry about the situation for now. In the
off-season everybody players and coaches can blah blah blah talk demand trades whatever that is all
very "safe" because nobody has any real leverage, so the real crisis will have passed.

"uh oh Johnny, I guess you don't get to be president"

grandsalami
05-11-2014, 06:43 PM
OP and EVERYONE who thinks that the wife has a chance at owning the team READ THIS!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140509/donald-sterling-legal-analysis-nba-clippers/

She has almost no chance of becoming a controling owner of the clippers.. NONE.. ZERO,…. ZILCH….. NADA….

THE MTL
05-11-2014, 07:29 PM
U fail to forget that the players are PLAYING for themselves. Clippers have a decent shot at winning it all. Guys like Blake Griffin and especially Chris Paul been wanting it their entire life. Years of training, hardcore dieting, no summers off and you just want them to sit in the midst of a huge playoff run.

Let the league and Sterling at least call up the lawyers, nothing has begun yet. I would talk about sitting out next season

Sssmush
05-12-2014, 12:56 AM
U fail to forget that the players are PLAYING for themselves. Clippers have a decent shot at winning it all. Guys like Blake Griffin and especially Chris Paul been wanting it their entire life. Years of training, hardcore dieting, no summers off and you just want them to sit in the midst of a huge playoff run.

Let the league and Sterling at least call up the lawyers, nothing has begun yet. I would talk about sitting out next season

That's definitely a good point. But I was just saying, how often does a situation like this come around? Public opinion and media coverage was HUGELY against Sterling and behind the players, and there was this incredible tipping point around the weird, unspoken, inherent racism that has *always* surrounded the Clippers.

CP3 had (past tense, I think the magic moment has probably already slid by, but depending on what happens tomorrow it is possible that the impact of sitting out game 5 might be ENORMOUS) incredible leverage, and again this seems like it was a once in 20 years type of national event, potentially, and the stars had aligned perfectly for CP3 to make a huge statement. I mean this could've been big, like MLK big. This is already the biggest media story in the history of the Clippers' organization, the biggest story nationally for a solid week, and CP3 could've absolutely owned it. I just don't see how the relevance of playing a basketball game can be compared with that.

Game 5 is the final chance if this is going to happen. Chris Paul sits down for a press conference with Magic Johnson and Condoleeza Rice, LIVE, at precisely the start of the Clippers versus OKC game. Twitter melts. Every headline worldwide. V. Stiviano releases more tapes. Elgin Baylor tells his story to Barbara Walters.

*imagine*

Kenny Powders
05-12-2014, 06:33 AM
^^ And then Chris Paul is unanimously elected the next president of the USA without even an election.

mightybosstone
05-12-2014, 09:02 AM

Yeahhhh.... And then you said that and it was hard to take anything else you said seriously in the rest of this thread.

tr3ymill3r
05-12-2014, 09:36 AM
He gave permission to be recorded because he's losing his memory he just didn't know the tape would get leaked... How is this still not common knowledge :S

Could you provide a link or some type of proof. If it's common knowledge I'm sure the networks would have been all over that tid bit.

slashsnake
05-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Could you provide a link or some type of proof. If it's common knowledge I'm sure the networks would have been all over that tid bit.

Google "sterling tape memory" and you'll see about 50 pages of them. Granted so far that is a he said/she said situation. Well just a she said as he hasn't denied or agreed with what she said.

As for sitting out, now makes no sense. The NBA made it's stand. What is he protesting? The gov't and labor law? Is he protesting due process? Is he protesting the legal system? I get he doesn't like Sterling. The league banned him for LIFE, and is doing all it can legally to take his team from him.

Kushed
05-12-2014, 03:25 PM
Donald Sterling is a scumbag but this entire thing has been a witch hunt since day 1. Don't really care what happens at this point cause it doesn't affect me.

ghettosean
05-12-2014, 04:27 PM

Here's a link from one of the top news sites in the world but like others have said google it and you'll find plenty of links.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/02/us-nba-clippers-stiviano-idUSBREA4102J20140502

Trueblue2
05-12-2014, 10:50 PM
Cant this fool just die already? Not wishing it on him, just saying it would be good timing.