PDA

View Full Version : What Happens if Sterling Manages to Keep his Clippers?

MetroMan
05-08-2014, 03:27 PM
There are multiple reports that Sterling will take the NBA to court and that it might take years before there is a verdict.

There are other reports that if this fails Sterling has no problem giving his split share of the clippers to his wife.

If this happens... what then?

I know the nba most have a 28/30 owner vote on the new owner but can they really deny Sterlings family from owning the team?

This is America and we dont make people sell their property.

scissors
05-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Let the free market handle it.

If people don't like him owning they should boycott the games and not attend.

If players don't like him owning they should not sign there and those under contracts have the option to sit out.

Everybody knew he was like this so the only people who should be allowed out of their contracts is people who are there on rookie contracts or were retained as RFA. Anybody who willingly signed/re-signed with the team made a choice to play for him. Non-the-less they still have the option to not play and force his hand.

koreancabbage
05-08-2014, 04:11 PM
^ well it would give the fake Clippers fans a good reason to start cheering for the Lakers again.

abe_froman
05-08-2014, 04:14 PM

yeah,we do,like everyday.ever hear of eminent domain? (not saying this is one of those cases,but just refuting this line.does that suck? sure;is it legal? you bet your ***)

as to if they can? being a private org. affords them certain privileges as to who they want in their little club and allows for them to take actions that would be legal.

KnickFanSince91
05-08-2014, 04:16 PM
There are multiple reports that Sterling will take the NBA to court and that it might take years before there is a verdict.

There are other reports that if this fails Sterling has no problem giving his split share of the clippers to his wife.

If this happens... what then?

I know the nba most have a 28/30 owner vote on the new owner but can they really deny Sterlings family from owning the team?

:laugh2:

You might wanna google "Eminent Domain".

I know Eminent Domain doesn't literally apply here, but the NBA's constitution has a by law with the same framework. The Sterlings are toxic for the Association as a whole so they reserve the right to seize control and compensate them later.

Trwood12
05-08-2014, 04:17 PM
People protest for a while, then they forget about it before he finally dies of cancer

Cracka2HI!
05-08-2014, 06:10 PM
It would ruin my team in a matter of a couple years. Doc probably would retire until his contract is up. The players may not be able to force their way out but they would be unmotivated and playing for the worst coach in league history. Shelly Sterling may have to coach the team herself because who would take that job? If it weren't my favorite team I'd actually love to see the trainwreck. Since it is my favorite team I really hope the Sterlings make the right business move and sell.

east fb knicks
05-08-2014, 06:14 PM
I heard on pti this shouldn't be a big deal to get him out silver just needs all of the other owners to push out sterling which shouldn't be a problem

More-Than-Most
05-08-2014, 06:35 PM
I pray he wins. I wish I was a white Superstar right now. I really do. I would back him 100 percent

Gibby23
05-08-2014, 06:54 PM
I thought the vote was supposed to be quick. Why is the NBA dragging it's feet? I think they messed up by saying we are going to force a sale. Now Sterling is getting lawyers together, his wife is saying she is the owner and won't sell. They might even file for divorce and keep dragging this on. It is not as simple as Silver made it seem, that is why we haven't heard anything in over a week and a half. They were saying they were ready to vote him out and could get the votes the next day and we have heard nothing since.

JEDean89
05-08-2014, 06:54 PM
People protest for a while, then they forget about it before he finally dies of cancer

prostate cancer isn't usually mortal issue, it likely will not be the cause of his death. my father had prostate cancer for years before dieing of a stroke, he is in no immediate danger.

if sterling doesn't sell then he is commiting financial suicide to the point where the clippers will not be able to sign or keep their own players (who won't be playing games). no coach will coach the team, fans will boycott as well. right now he has an extremely valuable franchise who looks to be one of 4 real contenders left to win it all this year.

bleedprple&gold
05-08-2014, 09:34 PM

prostate cancer isn't usually mortal issue, it likely will not be the cause of his death. my father had prostate cancer for years before dieing of a stroke, he is in no immediate danger.

if sterling doesn't sell then he is commiting financial suicide to the point where the clippers will not be able to sign or keep their own players (who won't be playing games). no coach will coach the team, fans will boycott as well. right now he has an extremely valuable franchise who looks to be one of 4 real contenders left to win it all this year.

Exactly he is taking a big risk if he doesn't sell. The value of the franchise isn't going to be any higher than it is now with him as an owner. His fans hate him. His players hate him. He can't make any personnel or basketball decisions. He can't go to any of the games. He can't even go to the damn practice facility. What is the point of even owning the team at this point? Can't he just take his billion and walk away with what little dignity he has left?

AsianSensation
05-08-2014, 10:35 PM
Chris Paul only wanted to play for a black coach.

Ban him for life and fine him 2.5 million.

TylerSL
05-08-2014, 11:14 PM
No way it happens, but if he does stay, say goodbye to the Clippers chances of winning titles for very long.

Bigbadmoffo
05-08-2014, 11:30 PM
I love black history and all my favourite people are black except for Kennedy and Lincoln but this is getting dumb. Stop being so sensitive about racism towards blacks! it's like feeling pity for a crippled person...I think people now a days won't be happy until white people are slaves and blacks are slave owners.
I actually wish I was black because then I would be treated with white gloves. I really don't care if I sound racist by saying we need to treat every racial issue the same.

Slug3
05-09-2014, 02:17 AM
I love black history and all my favourite people are black except for Kennedy and Lincoln but this is getting dumb. Stop being so sensitive about racism towards blacks! it's like feeling pity for a crippled person...I think people now a days won't be happy until white people are slaves and blacks are slave owners.
I actually wish I was black because then I would be treated with white gloves. I really don't care if I sound racist by saying we need to treat every racial issue the same.

So what your saying is to act as if it's the 1800's and just let people talk as if black people are not equals? Fantastic.

Slug3
05-09-2014, 02:19 AM
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if after awhile the majority of people just forget about all this.

MelanconMadness
05-09-2014, 03:00 AM
Property laws in this country will make this string along for a while. The longer this lasts, the more it will haunt the NBA, there are things that I'm sure sterling is aware of that might come into play in court that might hurt the league and other owners. Obviously just speculation on reports and opinions I've heard. He won't keep the team himself, but his wife might make it tougher to be sold outside of the family

Bigbadmoffo
05-09-2014, 03:33 AM
So what your saying is to act as if it's the 1800's and just let people talk as if black people are not equals? Fantastic.

That's what you got out of that lol. And it's ok for a black person to say I refuse to work for a white person but a white person can't refuse to work for a black person?

slashsnake
05-09-2014, 03:58 AM
I wonder if the NBA says ok, suspends his franchise from league play, but his lease is with the city not the NBA, his salaries to his staff are to them, not the NBA, and he keeps the team name, etc.

Then the NBA starts up a new expansion team and in a hurry he can't pay his players so the league allows his players to sign their same deal there? Give him all the bills and basically turn the clippers into something worth nothing at all. Let him fight it in a long court battle if he wants as his teams value drops into the red. Once his team is long gone, rename the expansion team the Clippers.

jerellh528
05-09-2014, 04:43 AM
Anarchy amonst the players