PDA

View Full Version : Russell Westbrook playoffs statline

poleandreel
05-08-2014, 11:42 AM
27 points, 9 rebounds (3.5 OFFENSIVE), 8 assists, 2 steals, 85% ft per game...although 4.5 TO

3 triple doubles (obviously one was gifted on that Sefo assist) including 1 in a game 7
Entire NBA has 0 combined playoff triple doubles

How good is this guy? He plays with so much passion and energy I really don't understand how anyone can dislike him. Crazy. He is the definition of competitive and passionate.

goingfor28
05-08-2014, 11:44 AM
Last night's trip dub should not have been. His last assist was a joke. He absolutely beasted last night tho, and straight abused Darren Collison

kdspurman
05-08-2014, 11:53 AM
You don't understand how anyone can dislike him? The way he carries himself on the court sometimes to some can be considered annoying. Not to mention the tantrums he's thrown on the sidelines at times. It has nothing to do with his talent, that can't be questioned.

But in terms of how he conducts himself? I definitely see why people aren't a fan.

blastmasta26
05-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Yeah his passion and competitive nature is awesome to watch. His occasional bad decision making gets too much scrutiny IMO.

ManRam
05-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Aside from scoring efficiency (on occasion), he's been tremendous. :shrug: Yes, he has some flaws, but I love enjoying the 95% greatness rather than fixing on the 5% flaws. Those flaws would get A LOT less attention if he were the best player on his team. There's nothing Rose has ever done that Westbrook can't, for example. One's an MVP winner, the other is a perpetual scapegoat.

He's bested KD's gamescore in 4 of the last 5 games. He's doing a little bit of everything, per the usual.

I mean, even his worst shooting game (that 10-31 loss), he still rebounded, passed and defended tremendously.

He has an insane 10.2% ORB% these playoffs. He's been as good of a rebounder as Ibaka and a bit better than Durant. He has a 39% AST%, which is very, very good. He's turning the ball over at about his career rate. His ORTG and DRTG parallel KD's. He is tied with KD in terms of WS/48.

He's been great. Again, he has flaws, but he's been tremendous. Scoring efficiency is hugely important, but his ability to contribute in just about every other regard really is underappreciated.

Jamiecballer
05-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Aside from scoring efficiency (on occasion), he's been tremendous. :shrug: Yes, he has some flaws, but I love enjoying the 95% greatness rather than fixing on the 5% flaws. Those flaws would get A LOT less attention if he were the best player on his team. There's nothing Rose has ever done that Westbrook can't, for example. One's an MVP winner, the other is a perpetual scapegoat.

He's bested KD's gamescore in 4 of the last 5 games. He's doing a little bit of everything, per the usual.

I mean, even his worst shooting game (that 10-31 loss), he still rebounded, passed and defended tremendously.

He has an insane 10.2% ORB% these playoffs. He's been as good of a rebounder as Ibaka and a bit better than Durant. He has a 39% AST%, which is very, very good. He's turning the ball over at about his career rate. His ORTG and DRTG parallel KD's. He is tied with KD in terms of WS/48.

He's been great. Again, he has flaws, but he's been tremendous. Scoring efficiency is hugely important, but his ability to contribute in just about every other regard really is underappreciated.

i'm not convinced that's true. i think you'd see the second coming of Iverson if that was the case, and his game would have been picked apart in this era of advanced stats and social media.

he's an incredible talent no doubt but i think the flaws would be magnified not minified.

Hawkize31
05-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Hes been playing well, that's undeniable. But how well is up for debate. Why is he chucking 22 shots a game at a 42% success rate? I'd like to see him be more efficient if hes going to shoot that much. The same can be said for Durant, who averages 23 FGA at a 44% make rate.

Neither of those numbers are awful, or even bad, their just not 'great' to me.

P&GRealist
05-08-2014, 12:51 PM
You don't understand how anyone can dislike him? The way he carries himself on the court sometimes to some can be considered annoying. Not to mention the tantrums he's thrown on the sidelines at times. It has nothing to do with his talent, that can't be questioned.

But in terms of how he conducts himself? I definitely see why people aren't a fan.

There's nothing wrong with how he conducts himself.

Forgive him if he can't act like a media PR robot on the floor like KD or LeBron.

kdspurman
05-08-2014, 12:58 PM
There's nothing wrong with how he conducts himself.

Forgive him if he can't act like a media PR robot on the floor like KD or LeBron.

That's your opinion. Others aren't a fan of how he acts on and off the court which I get. The tantrums, getting into it with teammates? Some people don't mind it and call it passion, others call it immaturity.

BTW, I don't think KD or Lebron are media robots either by any stretch.

P&GRealist
05-08-2014, 01:06 PM
That's your opinion. Others aren't a fan of how he acts on and off the court which I get. The tantrums, getting into it with teammates? Some people don't mind it and call it passion, others call it immaturity.

BTW, I don't think KD or Lebron are media robots either by any stretch.

He doesn't do anything wrong off the court. Stop it.

And some of the greatest to have ever played the game have gotten into it with teammates during practice and in the games, like MJ and Kobe, because of their competitive nature. Let's crucify them too shall we?

And I don't blame you if you don't like that stuff. The moment someone shows some emotion or opposition towards a player or coach or don't abide to Pop's military whipping, they get ousted out (SJax last yr, who could've helped you guys against Miami last yr).

For 17 yrs, you have been used to seeing an emotionless goody too shoo Tim Duncan (the only times he reacts is when he pops open his eyes and stares at the refs after a foul called on him).

P&GRealist
05-08-2014, 01:09 PM
And you're right, LeBron isn't a complete media PR robot like Duncan, because dude actually flexes his guns after every dunk. Which btw no one seems to have issues with. So dunno why Russell is getting crucified.

kdspurman
05-08-2014, 01:19 PM
And you're right, LeBron isn't a complete media PR robot like Duncan, because dude actually flexes his guns after every dunk. Which btw no one seems to have issues with. So dunno why Russell is getting crucified.

He doesn't do anything wrong off the court. Stop it.

And some of the greatest to have ever played the game have gotten into it with teammates during practice and in the games, like MJ and Kobe, because of their competitive nature. Let's crucify them too shall we?

And I don't blame you if you don't like that stuff. The moment someone shows some emotion or opposition towards a player or coach or don't abide to Pop's military whipping, they get ousted out (SJax last yr, who could've helped you guys against Miami last yr).

For 17 yrs, you have been used to seeing an emotionless goody too shoo Tim Duncan (the only times he reacts is when he pops open his eyes and stares at the refs after a foul called on him).

not being able to control his emotions and getting into it with teammates out in the open is acceptable now? Maybe cause you're a laker fan you're used to and/or appreciate drama? Which again is why I say, it's all a matter of opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzPaVOtxxjQ

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxtq8r_russell-westbrook-throwing-a-tantrum-after-fight-with-thabo_sport

SJax was not ousted for that, cause he was like that in 2003 and the year he played for us in 2012. Stop it. He was let go cause he thought he was bigger than the team. And yea, if he was there, Spurs would have won the title :rolleyes:

And Lebron doing that could rub people the wrong way, like he's showing up his opinion. That's how it could be perceived. Again, some people aren't fond of that, others like and appreciate it. I'm not personally, but again, it's my opinion. I'm not mad @ people who do like it

Maybe it is seeing not only Duncan but also Robinson conduct themselves a certain way on the court. I have a certain appreciation for guys who act like that on the floor and in all sports in general. (there are a few guys in the league like that)

shep33
05-08-2014, 01:20 PM
Top 6-7 player in the NBA

P&GRealist
05-08-2014, 01:22 PM
Bigger than the team?

That some cliche crap right there.

curtcocaine
05-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Jordan punched Kerr at pratice. I'm a huge fan of RW.

mdm692
05-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Everybody here is a hypocrite lol. RW plays with passion and heart and he still gets crucified for it. Does he take bad shots? Yes. A lot actually but who wouldn't next to Perkins and Thabo lol? Brooks is a bad coach for this team as well. He's been carried by Westbrook and Durant.

P&GRealist
05-08-2014, 01:24 PM
And ur right, Spurs probably would still not have won as Pop would've still cost the team the chip.

tredigs
05-08-2014, 01:24 PM
I really don't understand how Westbrook still has not earned himself some sort of tornado or Tasmanian Devil based nickname at this point. Also, the guy lands flush on his back on these "layups" (layup is probably too dainty a word for the attacks he makes) at least 5 times a game, which you could only sustain if you have an impenetrable turtle shell, just saying. He's not human.

kdspurman
05-08-2014, 01:29 PM
I really don't understand how Westbrook still has not earned himself some sort of tornado or Tasmanian Devil based nickname at this point. Also, the guy lands flush on his back on these "layups" (layup is probably too dainty a word for the attacks he makes) at least 5 times a game, which you could only sustain if you have an impenetrable turtle shell, just saying. He's not human.

That's fitting lol

mngopher35
05-08-2014, 02:09 PM
He sucks, they should trade him to Minnesota for a pg who can pass the ball to KD...:)

macc
05-09-2014, 12:16 AM
RW is me of my favorite players in the game. It's annoying when people bash him. These people don't know basketball. He always gets crap for holding KD back. Without him people would wish KD had a true 2 guy. Well here he is. His speed is ridiculous. He's not just a scorer. He's an impact player on the court. You can't say that about your regular everyday scorer/chucker in the league. I wish my team had him.

JEDean89
05-09-2014, 01:17 AM
Yah I've been saying for a while that KD and Westy is like what would have happened if the heat had drafted Wade and Lebron. The MVP and a top MVP candidate every year, Westbrook is probably the best scoring PG in the league. He and KD are gonna figure it out and the Thunder are going to find the right combination of guys to put around them going forward.

mngopher35
05-09-2014, 02:04 AM
His attitude at times can be a little annoying but overall I like his passion on the court. He goes 110% all game and it is fun to see someone who gets so pumped up for every basket, stop, steal, win.

kdspurman you have evry right to your opinion, everyone will always have their own guys they like and dislike for certain reasons. Sometimes I feel we can't even help it or explain it, you just like or dislike a player. Personally I think it is fun watching him play but even I admit there are times when it can be annoying watching him complain, get a little too hyped or get a tech etc.

He has played very well this post season and while I was hoping they would lose early and consider trading him, I am also still happy for him. He takes a lot of unwarranted criticism at times but this team would not be the same without him at all. He is about a top 10 player I think.

jerellh528
05-09-2014, 04:49 AM
He's a good player, definitely better than harden

ManRam
05-09-2014, 10:08 AM
i'm not convinced that's true. i think you'd see the second coming of Iverson if that was the case, and his game would have been picked apart in this era of advanced stats and social media.

he's an incredible talent no doubt but i think the flaws would be magnified not minified.

Iverson got a TON of love when he was playing. It was hindsight where his career kinda started getting more and more scrutinized.

The chief complaint people have about Westbrook is that he thinks he's a #1 option and doesn't let KD shine enough. If he is the #1 option on his team and people are thus more OK with him looking to score as much as he does, people will chill. Let's not forget, he's a perfectly capable passer. People are just too obsessed with the notion that PGs HAVE to be pass-first, which is silly. Again, the guy is looked at like Derrick Rose when he was healthy if he's leading a solid team...not a guy nearly as scrutinized as he is now. And again, that scrutiny comes because he plays with a top 2 player. He has one hole in his game and that's that he likes to shoot a bit too much. But we're not talking about a huge magnitude (maybe a couple shots fewer a game). As a #1 option people aren't going to criticize him for that nearly as much.

We'll agree to disagree. I genuinely believe that playing with KD leads to more scrutiny because of the type of on-court personality he has than him being the clear #1 on his own team would.

D-Leethal
05-09-2014, 11:33 AM
Who cares about useless triple doubles when Thiago Splitter is ranked second in Win Shares?

Chronz
05-09-2014, 12:07 PM
Who cares about useless triple doubles when Thiago Splitter is ranked second in Win Shares?

Their teams. Would you rather have a stat that says you collect 10 of 3 stats, or a stat that says your team is likely winning convincingly? If Westbrook was leading the league in WS, Thunder would be better for it.

beyourself
05-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Iverson got a TON of love when he was playing. It was hindsight where his career kinda started getting more and more scrutinized.

The chief complaint people have about Westbrook is that he thinks he's a #1 option and doesn't let KD shine enough. If he is the #1 option on his team and people are thus more OK with him looking to score as much as he does, people will chill. Let's not forget, he's a perfectly capable passer. People are just too obsessed with the notion that PGs HAVE to be pass-first, which is silly. Again, the guy is looked at like Derrick Rose when he was healthy if he's leading a solid team...not a guy nearly as scrutinized as he is now. And again, that scrutiny comes because he plays with a top 2 player. He has one hole in his game and that's that he likes to shoot a bit too much. But we're not talking about a huge magnitude (maybe a couple shots fewer a game). As a #1 option people aren't going to criticize him for that nearly as much.

We'll agree to disagree. I genuinely believe that playing with KD leads to more scrutiny because of the type of on-court personality he has than him being the clear #1 on his own team would.

I agree that if Westbrook was the best scorer on the team he wouldn't be receiving this much criticism for shooting this much. I also think he gets criticized for not controlling the pace of the game as the PG. He just dribbles so much and right now shooting too much may be a secondary problem really. It could be Brook's system, but it's a pretty bad look when the ball stops moving in favor of a dribbling point guard. That's just really bad man. In game 2 he did get a lot of people involved though. He found Perkins and Adams a lot. He found KD early. He found Butler, he was balling. He needs to play like that more.

Jamiecballer
05-09-2014, 05:21 PM
RW is me of my favorite players in the game. It's annoying when people bash him. These people don't know basketball. He always gets crap for holding KD back. Without him people would wish KD had a true 2 guy. Well here he is. His speed is ridiculous. He's not just a scorer. He's an impact player on the court. You can't say that about your regular everyday scorer/chucker in the league. I wish my team had him.

You don't get it. A number two who doesn't understand he's a number two or is unwilling to play that role is barely better than no number two at all.

Soonerule
05-10-2014, 05:25 PM

I think you might find this article interesting. Please read it before reading my comment, thx.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1600342-is-russell-westbrook-really-holding-kevin-durant-back

Russell is an acquired taste and I'm not going to lie, it took me a while to get there. Every game for 6 years, watching him, then watching him again. You start watching him kind of like someone watching someone doing a high flying trapeze act, first with a sense of awe and then you keep watching because of some morbid fascination, waiting for the crash and burn.

But I'm hooked now, totally and completely. The one thing I can say about RW is that he is obsessed with winning and is willing to do whatever he has to satisfy that obsession. I am completely convinced, if it would win him a game he would kick the ball out to the little old lady that screams "COM'O-O-O-O-ON RUSS-SS-SS-ELL!" just before he takes a free throw at the Peake.

This is KD's team, Russell has never so much as hinted otherwise. He plays the way he does because it fires up the superstar. That stat in that article that said KD's scoring average is higher when Westbrook takes 15 or more shots vs 14 or less shocked even me, but it explained everything. I think the 1.3 games lost per year average that can actually be blamed solely on Russell will shock anyone else because the general perception is that number must be much much higher. My favorite was a little harder to figure out because the pie chart regarding wins and losses over a 3 year period forces you to do a little of your own math and copy editing, but it comes out like this:

In the past 3 years KD and Russell have played in 259 games total, regular season and playoffs. The chart is supposed to be comparing Thunder winning percentage when RW takes more shots in a game than KD. On the chart is says scores, but the paragraph leading up to it and after it confirm is should say shoots more because it is an expansion of the previous pie chart of the games played thus far in that season, 2012/13.

In 76 of those 259 previous games, RW took more shots than KD in 76 of them, the Thunder won 54, or 71%. KD shot more in 183 games, the Thunder won 124 time, or 67.7%.

His critics say he is a selfish, self-serving ball hog but I think the article bares out my hypothesis that he doing exactly what he is being told to do and exactly what KD needs him to do.

It's actually funny to listen to the post game interviews. When he is said to be playing bad and is asked what he was doing in that particular game, he says he is taking what the defense gives him. When the media is singing his praises and he is asked what he attributes his magnificent play to, he says he is taking what the defense is giving to him.

Another funny thing. You'll hear his coach defend him against the criticism, you heard KD defend him in his MVP speech the other day, but I've never heard Russell defend himself other than with his pat post game interview answer, "I'm just taking what the defense give me".

I guess he figures someone has gotta take the heat, might as well be him.

poleandreel
05-10-2014, 06:06 PM
I think you might find this article interesting. Please read it before reading my comment, thx.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1600342-is-russell-westbrook-really-holding-kevin-durant-back

Russell is an acquired taste and I'm not going to lie, it took me a while to get there. Every game for 6 years, watching him, then watching him again. You start watching him kind of like someone watching someone doing a high flying trapeze act, first with a sense of awe and then you keep watching because of some morbid fascination, waiting for the crash and burn.

But I'm hooked now, totally and completely. The one thing I can say about RW is that he is obsessed with winning and is willing to do whatever he has to satisfy that obsession. I am completely convinced, if it would win him a game he would kick the ball out to the little old lady that screams "COM'O-O-O-O-ON RUSS-SS-SS-ELL!" just before he takes a free throw at the Peake.

This is KD's team, Russell has never so much as hinted otherwise. He plays the way he does because it fires up the superstar. That stat in that article that said KD's scoring average is higher when Westbrook takes 15 or more shots vs 14 or less shocked even me, but it explained everything. I think the 1.3 games lost per year average that can actually be blamed solely on Russell will shock anyone else because the general perception is that number must be much much higher. My favorite was a little harder to figure out because the pie chart regarding wins and losses over a 3 year period forces you to do a little of your own math and copy editing, but it comes out like this:

In the past 3 years KD and Russell have played in 259 games total, regular season and playoffs. The chart is supposed to be comparing Thunder winning percentage when RW takes more shots in a game than KD. On the chart is says scores, but the paragraph leading up to it and after it confirm is should say shoots more because it is an expansion of the previous pie chart of the games played thus far in that season, 2012/13.

In 76 of those 259 previous games, RW took more shots than KD in 76 of them, the Thunder won 54, or 71%. KD shot more in 183 games, the Thunder won 124 time, or 67.7%.

His critics say he is a selfish, self-serving ball hog but I think the article bares out my hypothesis that he doing exactly what he is being told to do and exactly what KD needs him to do.

It's actually funny to listen to the post game interviews. When he is said to be playing bad and is asked what he was doing in that particular game, he says he is taking what the defense gives him. When the media is singing his praises and he is asked what he attributes his magnificent play to, he says he is taking what the defense is giving to him.

Another funny thing. You'll hear his coach defend him against the criticism, you heard KD defend him in his MVP speech the other day, but I've never heard Russell defend himself other than with his pat post game interview answer, "I'm just taking what the defense give me".

Dude, this post gave me chills. You should make a thread out of this. This is my EXACT analysis of Russell. The guy takes a TON of unwarranted criticism but never ever ever pushes blame to someone else or complains about anything. Some players call out their teammates, some call out the coaching, complain about touches, defensive or offensive schemes, etc.

Not Russ.

He just goes out there and ****ing plays. Guy gives it 110% every night. And like I've tried explaining to people 100000x...he definitely, 100%, without a doubt does not think this is HIS team or want to outshine KD. He defers to KD when KD has it going. He defers to KD when it's late in the game. He defers to KD when KD has a favorable matchup. It's just not easy to pick the spots because Russ usually has a mismatch every night as well.

Russ is the PERFECT player next to KD, IMO. Yes, OKC needs better shooters, but that doesn't need to come from the PG spot. Bringing in Caron was a great move and we need a player like him on the team all the time. Can't have Sefalosha as the spot up guy if Perkins is also playing...too many ways to gear up on Russ/KD.

Russ is an enigma. An enigma that I LOVE watching. I love KD and appreciate him and all of his amazing contributions to the team...but Russ drives this team. If OKC is down 20 and Russ' shot is off and team is playing like garbage, I'm not worried.

However, if OKC is up 30 and Russ makes a pull up 3 and DOESN'T do his patented gun holster, I will be worried. It will tell me that he has lost his passion, that the media criticism has gotten to him, or even worse...he doesn't care anymore.

We NEED this enigma.

THE MTL
05-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Westbrook is unjustly criticized. Ppl keep saying how he isnt a PG, well the Thunder have him as the starting PG and they winning 55+ games per season so they must be doing something right.

Westbrook is a top 10 NBA player in the league.

ManRam
05-10-2014, 06:25 PM

I'm with you 100%. And the BR article. He's one of my 5 favorite players in the league, and maybe that leads me to be a bit biased, but I don't think so.

Good post :clap:

Soonerule
05-10-2014, 07:30 PM
Dude, this post gave me chills. You should make a thread out of this. This is my EXACT analysis of Russell. The guy takes a TON of unwarranted criticism but never ever ever pushes blame to someone else or complains about anything. Some players call out their teammates, some call out the coaching, complain about touches, defensive or offensive schemes, etc.

Not Russ.

He just goes out there and ****ing plays. Guy gives it 110% every night. And like I've tried explaining to people 100000x...he definitely, 100%, without a doubt does not think this is HIS team or want to outshine KD. He defers to KD when KD has it going. He defers to KD when it's late in the game. He defers to KD when KD has a favorable matchup. It's just not easy to pick the spots because Russ usually has a mismatch every night as well.

Russ is the PERFECT player next to KD, IMO. Yes, OKC needs better shooters, but that doesn't need to come from the PG spot. Bringing in Caron was a great move and we need a player like him on the team all the time. Can't have Sefalosha as the spot up guy if Perkins is also playing...too many ways to gear up on Russ/KD.

Russ is an enigma. An enigma that I LOVE watching. I love KD and appreciate him and all of his amazing contributions to the team...but Russ drives this team. If OKC is down 20 and Russ' shot is off and team is playing like garbage, I'm not worried.

However, if OKC is up 30 and Russ makes a pull up 3 and DOESN'T do his patented gun holster, I will be worried. It will tell me that he has lost his passion, that the media criticism has gotten to him, or even worse...he doesn't care anymore.

We NEED this enigma.

You asked for a thread, you get a thread:

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?863766-How-Clueless-is-the-Meda

Sorry for the misspelling of Media in the thread title... I was a little bit miffed when I started it.

Soonerule
05-10-2014, 07:31 PM
I'm with you 100%. And the BR article. He's one of my 5 favorite players in the league, and maybe that leads me to be a bit biased, but I don't think so.

Good post :clap:

I thank you kind sir.....

tredigs
05-10-2014, 07:38 PM
The 9+ rebounds per game midway through the 2nd series is insane. That's Magic territory.

naps
05-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Better Harden. No question. Always felt that way. Harden gets undeserved love and Westy gets more loathing than he deserves.

sens#11fan
05-10-2014, 08:13 PM
don't get why people dislike how he is over passionate during games, there are a ton of guys that just play for the money, nowadays. Westy, brings the passion that kids have for the game of basketball, Westy doesn't see basketball as a job, he sees it as part of who he is.

NBA_Starter
05-10-2014, 09:41 PM
He is Beasting for sure, he better keep it up for the Thunder to keep advancing.

blahblahyoutoo
05-10-2014, 10:12 PM
Triple doubles. The most overrated stat in all of sports.

arlubas
05-11-2014, 05:29 AM
I don't think anyone was doubting Westbrook's passion or all around play, unless that someone was biased. Now with that said he has received the criticism he deserves when he's going shot jacker mode, but he does make up for it in every other area and even if he misses he still creates opportunities for the Thunder because of the chaos he manages on opposing defenses when he's penetrating. I have been critical of his shot selection for quite some time now but there is no doubting this guy's talent or contributions to his team. It's no accident that the Thunder were a shade of their self last year when he hurt his knee in the POs.

However you can't help but think how much more of a beast would he have been if he started picking his spots more cleverly on offense. He truly is a beast and definitely a joy to watch.