PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for the Clippers to get their own arena?

LTBaByyy
05-07-2014, 09:26 PM
Finally have a young elite team and an elite coach.

Shouldn't they have their own arena instead of doing so many cover ups of Lakers stuff

Raps18-19 Champ
05-07-2014, 09:29 PM
Why waste the time and money for that?

This team won't even be the same team by the time the arenas is finished.

Hawkeye15
05-07-2014, 09:30 PM
ever been to LA? Not exactly a lot of space to expand....

NBA_Starter
05-07-2014, 09:33 PM
I think they think they are doing fine like they are.

FYL_McVeezy
05-07-2014, 09:35 PM
If the NFL ever gets back into LA they should build a sports complex with a Football stadium and a new home for the Clippers.....

LTBaByyy
05-07-2014, 09:38 PM
I wish so bad they would just move the team to Seattle when the team gets a new owner!

This would be amazing if they were the Sonics

GP/Kemp = CP3/ Griffin

So many Sonics vs Thunder series in the playoffs

Miltstar
05-07-2014, 09:40 PM
They should play the rest of their home playoff games somewhere like Vegas

P&GRealist
05-07-2014, 09:45 PM
Yes plz, have them move back to Anaheim (Honda Center - formerly Arrowhead Pond) or give them the Lakers old building in Inglewood (The Forum).

jerellh528
05-07-2014, 10:02 PM
Stick them in city of industry lolol

HoodedSB
05-07-2014, 10:22 PM
To be fair, the greater LA area is massive. The team could pick any suburb and still be the "LA" Clippers. Hell, the Los Angeles Angels don't even play in the county but they get away with being "from LA" (sort of). Most people in LA drive anyway, so the site doesn't need to be downtown, in fact fans would probably prefer it to be a little out of the way if it helps the traffic situation getting to and from the game.

richiesaurus310
05-07-2014, 10:25 PM
It's not worthwhile to build another 20,000 seat stadium in LA, and Staples Center is nicer than Honda Center so no it's never gonna happen here in LA.

koreancabbage
05-07-2014, 11:51 PM
To be fair, the greater LA area is massive. The team could pick any suburb and still be the "LA" Clippers. Hell, the Los Angeles Angels don't even play in the county but they get away with being "from LA" (sort of). Most people in LA drive anyway, so the site doesn't need to be downtown, in fact fans would probably prefer it to be a little out of the way if it helps the traffic situation getting to and from the game.

just move them to Anaheim. but who cares - I'm astounded that LA doesn't have a football team

P&GRealist
05-08-2014, 12:03 AM
It's not worthwhile to build another 20,000 seat stadium in LA, and Staples Center is nicer than Honda Center so no it's never gonna happen here in LA.

Staples belongs to the Lakers.

Yes I know the clippers are better and the lakers suck, but Staples is still the Lakers.

The Lakers won 5 titles in that building, and the pioneers of that building are Kobe and Shaq. They built Staples Center with that initial 3 peat, winning the very first yr that building opened.

Then you have Lisa Leslie and her Sparks, winning back-to-back titles.

The NHL LA Kings won in that building 2 yrs ago.

The Staples Center is set. It's the building of champions. The Lakers won their 5, the Sparks won their 2, and hell the Kings won theirs before the Clippers.

I don't have anything against the Clippers. But dammit you don't cover up the Lakers banners and history up their after 13-14 yrs just because you have an inferiority complex and now you have a coach who was the former Celtic coach who hates everything Laker related.

Get your own building and GTFO!

FlashBolt
05-08-2014, 12:08 AM
They should just move this team to Seattle somehow.. Would love to see this team in a Supersonics uniform. Favorite uniform to date.

JEDean89
05-08-2014, 12:10 AM
^^^ dude of course they cover up the lakers banners, that's a no brainer. i agree with moving them to anaheim or San Diego, I like the idea of both teams having 2 extra road games a year.

P&GRealist
05-08-2014, 12:46 AM
^^^ dude of course they cover up the lakers banners, that's a no brainer. i agree with moving them to anaheim or San Diego, I like the idea of both teams having 2 extra road games a year.

Of course?

That's a no brainer?

Then how come it took them 14 yrs to do it? :confused:

KobeOwnSU
05-08-2014, 12:50 AM
They should, they need more space for all their banners.

LAKobeBryant
05-08-2014, 12:59 AM
If the NFL ever gets back into LA they should build a sports complex with a Football stadium and a new home for the Clippers.....

lol football and basketball stadiums are completely different. transforming one to the other is too much work

USMCLaker
05-08-2014, 01:02 AM
They should move to Boston.

P&GRealist
05-08-2014, 01:08 AM
They should move to Boston.

Ya send Doc back there!

Iron24th
05-08-2014, 01:21 AM
They should, they need more space for all their banners.

:laugh:

Method28
05-08-2014, 01:28 AM
I see the sense in them moving to Anaheim.

Plus around here the Angels, Ducks and Clippers usually go together as far as Fans go.

Other than that I believe them sharing the Staples Center isn't a problem.

abe_froman
05-08-2014, 01:30 AM
why,whats the point? the set up they have now doesnt disrupt anything with either franchise

mrblisterdundee
05-08-2014, 01:32 AM

I'm told there's an arena called the Honda Center in Anaheim that can fit more than 18,000 fans in a basketball game. Why expand at all when the infrastructure's already there?

NoahH
05-08-2014, 01:35 AM

+1 /thread

USMCLaker
05-08-2014, 01:40 AM
Ya send Doc back there!
Exactly, they would be the Boston Clippers and the Celtics little brothers.

Rush
05-08-2014, 02:14 AM
lol football and basketball stadiums are completely different. transforming one to the other is too much work

I don't think he meant transforming the building from a football stadium to a basketball arena, but two different structures to house both teams.

Dade County
05-08-2014, 03:02 AM
I wish so bad they would just move the team to Seattle when the team gets a new owner!

This would be amazing if they were the Sonics

GP/Kemp = CP3/ Griffin

So many Sonics vs Thunder series in the playoffs

No...

OKC needs to go back to Seattle.

Bruno
05-08-2014, 02:07 PM
yes.

the championship banners and retired Laker numbers should never be covered up in an arena the Lakers call home. every musician, artist and event- they should be on full display. its one of the best representations of sustained success we have in this city. future clippers owner should have to move them into a new stadium, or move them out of the city.

sternling illegally moved the clippers to los angeles in the first place and had to pay a massive fine for doing so. LA needs one basketball team. too many great cities without basketball to justify having the clippers stay in LA, especially considering the circumstances that got them there in the first place.

kylem4711
05-08-2014, 02:22 PM
haha, laker fans still have nothing better to do than to talk trash on the clips. still haven't got over the clippers being in staples though, really?

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-08-2014, 02:38 PM
Finally have a young elite team and an elite coach.

Shouldn't they have their own arena instead of doing so many cover ups of Lakers stuff

Yes, yes they should. There is no reason for them to be in our building.

Bruno
05-08-2014, 02:39 PM
haha, laker fans still have nothing better to do than to talk trash on the clips. still haven't got over the clippers being in staples though, really?

they deserve their own arena. nobody wants to play little brother for the rest of their existence and that will always be the case so long as they walk by statues of Magic, West, KAJ on their way into the building. sharing the building isn't good for anyone. how many professional sports team in the same league do that? gimme a number.

just because they were lucky enough to get Blake and get the league brass to hand them chris paul is doesn't change the fact that they've been a horribly run franchise for three decades. they were an embarrassment for decades. now that they are good, they should use it as a spring board to get their own identity and get out of the Lakers shadow. its a perfect time to get them their own arena once a new owner takes over.

P&GRealist
05-08-2014, 03:48 PM
get them out

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-08-2014, 03:55 PM

they deserve their own arena. nobody wants to play little brother for the rest of their existence and that will always be the case so long as they walk by statues of Magic, West, KAJ on their way into the building. sharing the building isn't good for anyone. how many professional sports team in the same league do that? gimme a number.

just because they were lucky enough to get Blake and get the league brass to hand them chris paul is doesn't change the fact that they've been a horribly run franchise for three decades. they were an embarrassment for decades. now that they are good, they should use it as a spring board to get their own identity and get out of the Lakers shadow. its a perfect time to get them their own arena once a new owner takes over.

Class dismissed.

kylem4711
05-08-2014, 04:09 PM

isn't good for anyone? weird, i could have sworn that tons of people make money off of the clippers playing at the staples. I also never hear about clipper players wanting to leave staples. Fiscally, why would an owner want to build a new stadium when staples is there? Anaheim is an option, but staples is better than anaheim. Los angeles is better than anaheim.

what does the clippes past have to do with them playing at staples?

Laker fans are the only ones comparing themselves to the clippers. Clipper fans know how many championships they have and how many legends have been in a lakers jersey and we just dont care.. if it did, we would be laker fans and not clipper fans. The past doesnt matter to clipper fans. Only where we are now and where we are headed. Again, if it did, we wouldn't be clipper fans.

When the clippers play, the arena is all "clipper'd" out. I'm not the one who has to cover the banners, so I could care less that someone else has to.

With all of that being said, if a new owner comes in, builds a new arena somewhere in LA, and moves the team, great. If not, thats cool too. Staples center is still the clippers home court too.

kylem4711
05-08-2014, 04:10 PM
Class dismissed.

says the myopic laker fan.

richiesaurus310
05-08-2014, 04:22 PM
I see no benefit to moving out of Staples Center. It's one of the best arenas in sports, why would you leave? The Lakers and Clippers don't affect each other in any way. The Clippers have a brand new $50 million training facility in Playa Vista. Why would they play their games 45 miles away in Orange County when Staples is 15 miles away??? Plus currently the Clippers have a 140+ game home sellout streak, which means if you're winning people will come see Clipper games just like Laker games when they're winning. This whole new ownership for the Clippers combined with the current state of the Lakers will/is really changing the basketball atmosphere here, and will continue if things keep heading the way they are.

The Lakers don't own Staples Center by the way, I believe the LA Kings ownership does.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Class dismissed.

says the myopic laker fan.mad?

kylem4711
05-08-2014, 04:43 PM
mad?

expected response from someone like you.

cmellofan15
05-08-2014, 04:49 PM

Lakers fan accusing another organization of receiving gifts? Pot meet kettle.

Cracka2HI!
05-08-2014, 06:06 PM
Why would the Clippers move from a building they sell out every game? A buliding that they can sell tickets at a higher price than almost any other in the league. That would be a horrific business move. As for deserving "your own" building...we have one. Staples Center. That is the home of the Los Angelels Clippers. The best basketball team in LA.

beliges
05-08-2014, 06:19 PM
Why would the Clippers move from a building they sell out every game? A buliding that they can sell tickets at a higher price than almost any other in the league. That would be a horrific business move. As for deserving "your own" building...we have one. Staples Center. That is the home of the Los Angelels Clippers. The best basketball team in LA.

Staples is and always will be the Lakers building. The House that Kobe built. The banners are all up there. Clippers sell out because its Staples Center and LA is a basketball town. But the Clippers will always be a 2nd tier in LA even having during the rare seasons they are better than the Lakers.

cmellofan15
05-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Staples is and always will be the Lakers building. The House that Kobe built. The banners are all up there. Clippers sell out because its Staples Center and LA is a basketball town. But the Clippers will always be a 2nd tier in LA even having during the rare seasons they are better than the Lakers.

you do realize the Clippers have had better attendance numbers for the past three years, right? It's not really a rarity, it's a reality. The Clippers have been the better basketball team and despite any prestige you think the Lakers brought to the building, the better team will win every time.

Kinda sucks to be the little brother, doesn't it?

KobeOwnSU
05-08-2014, 06:56 PM
you do realize the Clippers have had better attendance numbers for the past three years, right? It's not really a rarity, it's a reality. The Clippers have been the better basketball team and despite any prestige you think the Lakers brought to the building, the better team will win every time.

Three years does not make up for a half century of winning. The Clippers aren't the joke that they once were but they are not even close to the Lakers level as an organization. The Lakers would have to be this bad for another 40 years and the Clippers would have to actually, I don't know, win a championship. At least one.

Cracka2HI!
05-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Three years does not make up for a half century of winning. The Clippers aren't the joke that they once were but they are not even close to the Lakers level as an organization. The Lakers would have to be this bad for another 40 years and the Clippers would have to actually, I don't know, win a championship. At least one.

I know you can't possibly do this but give me a reason the Clippers should move from Staples besides the fact that there is another team playing there?

kylem4711
05-08-2014, 11:34 PM
I know you can't possibly do this but give me a reason the Clippers should move from Staples besides the fact that there is another team playing there?

16 championships bro. Lakers are the lakers and the lakers will always be the lakers. little brother. statues. jerry buss. kobe the rapist.

thats pretty much every laker comment.

static_inferno
05-08-2014, 11:40 PM
As a Laker fan this may sound sacrilegious, but the Forum just got renovated.

cmellofan15
05-08-2014, 11:41 PM

hahaha the lakers have been there for fifteen years not fifty dude

and on top of that, how does that even matter? does that stop the Clippers from selling more tickets? better yet, has it for the last three years?

With all the Laker history that we'll never hear the end of they still thrive and outsell them in the same venue. Why move out when you're showing up showtime?

beliges
05-08-2014, 11:45 PM

Better attendance for the past 3 years? That is simply not true at all. Don't throw around nonsense and think people will just believe you. If you're a clipper fan just enjoy the success. The Clippers never will be LA's team. That slot is permanently occupied by the Lakers.

beliges
05-08-2014, 11:51 PM
hahaha the lakers have been there for fifteen years not fifty dude

and on top of that, how does that even matter? does that stop the Clippers from selling more tickets? better yet, has it for the last three years?

With all the Laker history that we'll never hear the end of they still thrive and outsell them in the same venue. Why move out when you're showing up showtime?

LOL. Not only is the Clippers seating capacity greater than the Lakers' but even then they don't fill capacity like the Lakers do. Wishful thinking buddy. Haha.

cmellofan15
05-08-2014, 11:54 PM
Better attendance for the past 3 years? That is simply not true at all. Don't throw around nonsense and think people will just believe you. If you're a clipper fan just enjoy the success. The Clippers never will be LA's team. That slot is permanently occupied by the Lakers.

Instead of you spending somewhere around 65 seconds to Google and fact check, I'll just make you look like an idiot...

Clippers: 19,212
Lakers: 18,828

Clippers: 19,226
Lakers: 18,997

Clippers: 19,219
Lakers: 18,997

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

nonsense, right?

cmellofan15
05-08-2014, 11:58 PM
LOL. Not only is the Clippers seating capacity greater than the Lakers' but even then they don't fill capacity like the Lakers do. Wishful thinking buddy. Haha.

capacity!

LAC: 100.8%
LAL: 98.8%

LAC: 100.9%
LAL: 99.7%

same link as last time...

Cracka2HI!
05-09-2014, 03:48 AM
better attendance for the past 3 years? That is simply not true at all. Don't throw around nonsense and think people will just believe you. If you're a clipper fan just enjoy the success. The clippers never will be la's team. That slot is permanently occupied by the lakers.

lol. Not only is the clippers seating capacity greater than the lakers' but even then they don't fill capacity like the lakers do. Wishful thinking buddy. Haha.

instead of you spending somewhere around 65 seconds to google and fact check, i'll just make you look like an idiot...

clippers: 19,212
lakers: 18,828

clippers: 19,226
lakers: 18,997

clippers: 19,219
lakers: 18,997

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

nonsense, right?

capacity!

lac: 100.8%
lal: 98.8%

lac: 100.9%
lal: 99.7%

lac: 100.8%
lal: 99.7%

served!!!

jerellh528
05-09-2014, 04:45 AM
I wouldn't mind clippers getting their own. It would only bring revenue and jobs to the area

kylem4711
05-09-2014, 10:54 AM

Still waiting for you're response

beliges
05-09-2014, 12:25 PM
capacity!

LAL: 98.8%

LAC: 100.9%

So let me get this straight. The Clippers went over 100% capacity? LOL. You realize that 100% is as high as you an go?

Tony_Starks
05-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Damn Clipper fans are really starting to poke their lil chest out now? Shouldn't you guys be glad that you're in the playoffs and Massa Sterling is gone?

Relax fellas, we're happy for you. Get a chip or two.....or better yet 16.

cmellofan15
05-09-2014, 01:38 PM
So let me get this straight. The Clippers went over 100% capacity? LOL. You realize that 100% is as high as you an go?

nope, because that's referring to their seated capacity, which is not the actual limit of people allowed. their capacity with standing room maxes out at 20,578, 103.65% of their seated capacity.

todu82
05-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Yeah, never got the fact that 2 sports team would share an arena. Never been to L.A. but you would think that there's enough room in that city to add another sports arena that could house the NBA.

Cracka2HI!
05-09-2014, 01:49 PM
So let me get this straight. The Clippers went over 100% capacity? LOL. You realize that 100% is as high as you an go?Just abort dude, you got owned. There is nowhere for you to go on this.

Tony_Starks
05-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Yeah, never got the fact that 2 sports team would share an arena. Never been to L.A. but you would think that there's enough room in that city to add another sports arena that could house the NBA.

They tried to move them to Anaheim a few years back and it fell apart, can't remember why.

In defense of the Clippers though most of their fans are pretty great and don't have a problem with it at all. It also makes Clippers vs Laker games quite the event because its a mix of both fans. The majority of complaints come from people outside of Cali that don't think LA should have two teams in the first place.....

kylem4711
05-09-2014, 02:30 PM
They tried to move them to Anaheim a few years back and it fell apart, can't remember why.

In defense of the Clippers though most of their fans are pretty great and don't have a problem with it at all. It also makes Clippers vs Laker games quite the event because its a mix of both fans. The majority of complaints come from people outside of Cali that don't think LA should have two teams in the first place.....

It fell apart cause sterling lives in Beverly Hills and didn't want to extra drive. Serious too.

kylem4711
05-09-2014, 02:31 PM

Ouch.
You could have at least talked about how many championships the Lakers have. Something...

richiesaurus310
05-10-2014, 11:29 PM
No Clipper fan wants to leave Staples Center. The Clippers organization doesn't want to leave Staples. They have a brand new $50 million training facility in Playa Del Rey (15 miles away from Staples Center).

End of thread.

Miltstar
05-11-2014, 07:17 AM
Everything about the Clippers should be abolished with Stirling, they should come in with new Ownership, new name, new logo etc etc. Let Stirling's legacy be erased from the league, it's not like there are many Clippers in the record books lol let this great team be called something else, hell give the fans a say get some sort of rally together. I honestly believe they should play the rest of the season with there jerseys inside out with no one mentioning the word Clippers or talking of Donald Stirling. The worst punishment of all for him would be to be abolished and forgotten and never spoken of again.

PhillyFaninLA
05-11-2014, 07:35 AM
Unless your going up the 405 then no, you can't build another stadium, especially downtown like the Staples Center is...you already can't move in that area.

PhillyFaninLA
05-11-2014, 07:38 AM
just move them to Anaheim. but who cares - I'm astounded that LA doesn't have a football team

The teams they had failed....no NFL team has survived in LA.

One of the signs of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results

PhillyFaninLA
05-11-2014, 07:46 AM

I lived in LA for 7 years, you can build but not in Downtown LA (where the Staples Center is) or many of the areas around LA but you could go outside of Los Angeles and go to the area that are still desert or maybe even Agora Hills or Simi Valley area may work but still way to much traffic throughout most of the area.

Downtown LA traffic doesn't move. Its taken me 45 minutes to get out of Downtown La without an accident and go about 3 - 5 miles.

Tony_Starks
05-12-2014, 12:43 AM
The surrounding businesses also wouldn't go for it btw. That downtown LA live area is a gold mine. Between the Lakers and Clippers there's a lot of local people getting over like fat rats.....

mrblisterdundee
05-13-2014, 01:02 AM
No...

OKC needs to go back to Seattle.

These are all our homer picks, considering there are hordes of Los Angeles-based millionaires, billionaires and celebrities ready to buy into the Clippers.
They've only been in Los Angeles for 30 years. If San Diego had a stadium, that would be the best place for them. It is the second-largest city in Los Angeles, and still nice.
Barring that, I can't see the benefit of moving to San Jose or the Honda Center. And there's no market like southern California.