PDA

View Full Version : Wolves 2015 Playoffs

SPURSFAN1
05-07-2014, 08:43 PM
Yeah I know it's early, but what do the timberwolves have to do next year to make the playoffs? They don't really have a closer. Who can they pick up before Kevin Love leaves to the Lakers, and they return to lottery picks.

mngopher35
05-07-2014, 08:47 PM
One thing to keep an eye on is Pekovic. I think it might be possible that we would be open to trading him for a very good wing if the right opportunity was there. I also think that what we do will depend on the coach we get. I personally wasn't an Adelman fan so I think it might be an upgrade if we get a legit coach.

If we can just stay healthy and win some close games we certainly will have a chance.

JEDean89
05-07-2014, 08:50 PM
honestly the west is gonna be so ****ing stacked next year i don't think they have a chance. i really don't see a single team other than the Utah Jazz who are a lock to not make the playoffs. the west keeps waiting for the spurs and the mavericks to go away, they just won't.

NBA_Starter
05-07-2014, 08:53 PM
There is not really much they can do and the west is stacked.

Shammyguy3
05-07-2014, 09:07 PM
Trading Pekovic, he's a HUGE trade asset and is a beast. They can absolutely improve their roster by dealing him for a scoring wing

Dade County
05-07-2014, 09:12 PM
Nothing...

I am tired of this franchise already, I am even more upset at KG for wasting his prime years there.

I guess I just don't understand how Gm's think... I would give up a **** load of assets for a star player, to team up with one I already have; then I would build around them.

Having stars on your team, attracts other good players... Some of them will be willing to take a little discount, to be apart of an origination on the way up; but instead of doing that, they just hold on to players that will never make a big enough impact.

Kushed
05-07-2014, 09:50 PM
I think we will be able to upgrade and get in the playoffs. People have to remember how bad we were in games decided by like 2 points or less. That isn't going to continue to happen. Some of those losses will turn to wins with continual growth from the team. I think a new coach is actually good right now so he can come in and change things up a little bit. Gonna be tough no doubt but we could do it

mdm692
05-07-2014, 09:50 PM
I hope we don't try to overpay for Love.

east fb knicks
05-07-2014, 09:55 PM
nothing they should just trade love to the lakers for the lottery pick and start the rebuild now why wait

Hawkeye15
05-07-2014, 10:04 PM
nothing they should just trade love to the lakers for the lottery pick and start the rebuild now why wait

Love for the #6 pick? Really?

Lakers are a terrible trade partner currently. They literally have nothing to offer outside their pick. Not going to happen to get a top 8 player at age 25.

SugeKnight
05-07-2014, 10:06 PM
Wolves can make the playoffs if the NBA changes the playoff format to the top 16 teams

east fb knicks
05-07-2014, 10:10 PM

Lakers are a terrible trade partner currently. They literally have nothing to offer outside their pick. Not going to happen to get a top 8 player at age 25.

yea your probably right but the draft lottery hasn't taken place yet maybe they get a top 3 pick even 4 i'd definetly trade love for parker randle wiggins or embied but I more or less mean why not trade him now and start the rebuild the suns could be another option

Hawkeye15
05-07-2014, 10:29 PM
yea your probably right but the draft lottery hasn't taken place yet maybe they get a top 3 pick even 4 i'd definetly trade love for parker randle wiggins or embied but I more or less mean why not trade him now and start the rebuild the suns could be another option

I wouldn't trade Love straight up for the #1 pick this year. Nobody is LeBron in this draft, the Wolves will need other proven assets, that is just the way it works.

The reason they won't trade him now, is new management is trying like hell to convince him to stay. Look, I am a HUGE critic of the Wolves FO over the past 25 years. But you are historically better off trying to keep a top 8 player age 25 until the last possible second, than pulling the trigger early.

Do I think Love leaves? I would give it better than 50/50. But that 5th year with $25 million more than any other team may work out. We shall see....

east fb knicks
05-07-2014, 10:44 PM
I wouldn't trade Love straight up for the #1 pick this year. Nobody is LeBron in this draft, the Wolves will need other proven assets, that is just the way it works.

The reason they won't trade him now, is new management is trying like hell to convince him to stay. Look, I am a HUGE critic of the Wolves FO over the past 25 years. But you are historically better off trying to keep a top 8 player age 25 until the last possible second, than pulling the trigger early.

Do I think Love leaves? I would give it better than 50/50. But that 5th year with $25 million more than any other team may work out. We shall see....

if he played in a larger market i'd try to keep him too but look at what Utah did with dwill and it's probably a guarantee love is leaving holding on to him for an extra year is just dumb but hey if melo leaves my knicks i'll be saying the same thing and another example is rondo he's most likely gone too but the Celtics are holding on to him for what idk:confused:

ellington19
05-07-2014, 10:49 PM
We're really unlikely to make playoffs as long as the West remains as strong as it is.

If Rubio learns how to shoot and we sign enough players to have even an 'average' bench, we could compete for 8th seed.

That's best case scenario though.

Most likely scenario is we again finish 9-10th behind Mavs, Suns, Memphis.

ellington19
05-07-2014, 10:54 PM

Zero reason to do that now. We could easily land a 2015 pick as good or better than the 2014 LA pick at the deadline, should we at that stage be certain Love will leave (which we aren't now).

east fb knicks
05-07-2014, 11:17 PM
Zero reason to do that now. We could easily land a 2015 pick as good or better than the 2014 LA pick at the deadline, should we at that stage be certain Love will leave (which we aren't now).

how by then if he's leaving they lose leverage its just my op but all signs right now point to him leaving

hugepatsfan
05-07-2014, 11:28 PM

I'm gonna go homer for a second but if MIN does decide to move Love I think BOS makes the most sense if he would sign an extension here.

hugepatsfan
05-07-2014, 11:33 PM

I'm really not sure this is true. The Lakers right now have the #6 spot in the lottery. So if you're talking about a pick as good or better the team you're trading Love to would have to be one of the 6 worst teams in the NBA. In other words, they'd be acquiring Love for the long haul, not a playoff push. But why on Earth would Love, a half season away from free agency, re-up with one of the 6 worst teams in the NBA. It would make absolutely no sense on his part and without an extension it would make no sense for a bottom 6 team to trade for him with only half a season left on his deal.

Hawkeye15
05-07-2014, 11:36 PM
if he played in a larger market i'd try to keep him too but look at what Utah did with dwill and it's probably a guarantee love is leaving holding on to him for an extra year is just dumb but hey if melo leaves my knicks i'll be saying the same thing and another example is rondo he's most likely gone too but the Celtics are holding on to him for what idk:confused:

I am not saying I agree with what the Wolves FO is doing. I am saying, they won't entertain trading him right now. And as I stated, historically, you want to keep a young star at all costs.

Also, Deron has proven to be a product of Sloan. He was never as good as Love, and has since been whatever.

Hawkeye15
05-07-2014, 11:36 PM
I'm gonna go homer for a second but if MIN does decide to move Love I think BOS makes the most sense if he would sign an extension here.

Boston and Golden State have the best return.

Hawkeye15
05-07-2014, 11:40 PM
I'm really not sure this is true. The Lakers right now have the #6 spot in the lottery. So if you're talking about a pick as good or better the team you're trading Love to would have to be one of the 6 worst teams in the NBA. In other words, they'd be acquiring Love for the long haul, not a playoff push. But why on Earth would Love, a half season away from free agency, re-up with one of the 6 worst teams in the NBA. It would make absolutely no sense on his part and without an extension it would make no sense for a bottom 6 team to trade for him with only half a season left on his deal.

exactly why the Lakers are a terrible trade fit for Love. Sure, Love is all about LA, but why would he go there as currently constructed?

Now, if they get a gem in the draft, and suck next year (they will to at least get a top 10 pick), and then add another gem, maybe they can entice Love to sign outright.

But really, who knows what will happen? If no FA situation presents itself to be a good one for Love (possible), then that extra year may keep him in Minny.

Its just worth watching. I think he is going to leave, but there are no guarantees

east fb knicks
05-08-2014, 12:18 AM
Boston and Golden State have the best return.

omg love on gsw wouldn't be fair

Hawkeye15
05-08-2014, 12:20 AM
omg love on gsw wouldn't be fair

they would need to send a Klay/Barnes package with a couple 1st rounders most likely. But yeah, even then, GS would be pretty bad azzzz

Kushed
05-08-2014, 12:24 AM
If the Wolves make some sort of splash deal it could entice Love to stay. I really think we're going to have to pull out everything to get him to stay (Westbrook?)

east fb knicks
05-08-2014, 12:25 AM
they would need to send a Klay/Barnes package with a couple 1st rounders most likely. But yeah, even then, GS would be pretty bad azzzz

bogut
love
iggy
idk
curry
:drool:thats a nba 2k lineup

Vinny642
05-08-2014, 12:30 AM
Pec for Tyreke?

Hawkeye15
05-08-2014, 12:38 AM
bogut
love
iggy
idk
curry
:drool:thats a nba 2k lineup

yeah, it would for sure make GS legit as hell. Minny would have a young haul to try and do it all over again....

mngopher35
05-08-2014, 03:13 AM
If the Wolves make some sort of splash deal it could entice Love to stay. I really think we're going to have to pull out everything to get him to stay (Westbrook?)

As a wolves fan I am hoping westbrook shoots them out of a series so that they would consider it. Many have mentioned a rubio/pek/pick centered package for him. I just don't think they would take it.

Kaner
05-08-2014, 05:18 AM
Trading Pekovic, he's a HUGE trade asset and is a beast. They can absolutely improve their roster by dealing him for a scoring wing

I still love the Pekovic+ Rubio for Perkins+Westbrook trade idea I saw someone post months ago. Think that trade makes both teams better and puts Minnesota at about were Houston is right now.

Kaner
05-08-2014, 05:25 AM

Not sure Klay/Barnes is better than a top 5 pick in this draft both of those guys seem like they're close to their ceilings. But that warriors team would become my new favorite to win a championship they'd be a better version of the clippers.

arlubas
05-08-2014, 05:29 AM
What they need to do is get some actual good defenders on the roster and trade away Rubio, who as much of a show as he provides is just not a guy with whom you can win with as your starting PG.

mngopher35
05-08-2014, 05:43 AM
What they need to do is get some actual good defenders on the roster and trade away Rubio, who as much of a show as he provides is just not a guy with whom you can win with as your starting PG.

I am not against trading him, but what can we get? Like a couple people have said a rubio/Pek Westbrook/Perkins trade would be great for us but not sure it is realistic. I think Rubio and or Pek could both be had with Pek being the most likely to be traded (I have faith in Dieng taking over at C, even though it was a small sample this year).